An O'Grady Path into New Zealand History

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

An O'Grady Path into New Zealand History

Post by s1nead » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Is it possible to contact the authors of this family history from the Clare Library site - “An O'Grady Path into New Zealand History”?

They write -
“In the parish of Tulla, we have Thomas O'Grady of Cooga marrying into the prominent Mahony family centred around the estates of Kiltannon and Cragg, and taking over Newgrove Cottage as part of his marriage settlement. Wealth and children are to follow, of whom his dau Ann was to marry into the Burke family in 1812, and thus into the Browne circle a little later when her husband Thomas Burke took up the Browne crest to become the Burke-Browne family. “

The Burke-Brownes are related to me by marriage.

The above mentioned Thomas Burke Browne (married to Ann O’Grady) had a son, Edmund Burke-Browne - who was his heir.

In 1860, Edmund married Bessie Reilly, daughter of Patrick Edward Reilly - my great great grandfather.

My Burke-Browne cousins know nothing about our family history - they do not know the Browne family nor how they are related.

They have no idea how or why their name became hyphenated nor anything about Newgrove Cottage or their other home, Castlepark.

As family historian, I have been unsuccessful in learning this information and am hoping the authors have more history which they might share with me.

What little do I know can be found in this post from our family history blog: Cascading over the Falls -

https://ennistymon.blogspot.com/2017/06 ... burke.html

Does anyone have any idea whom I might contact for their email addresses?

Does anyone reading this post know anything about the history of the Burke-Browne family of Newgrove Cottage?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Susan Reilly DeVore
https://ennistymon.blogspot.com/

mgallery

Re: An O'Grady Path into New Zealand History

Post by mgallery » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi

Just ask the Clare library contact, the donor has to give an email address. I have been researching this family a bit from the Quinn Egan side for a distant cousin through Elwood on the Quinn side, Michael Anthony Kelly. I wondered who the Burke-Brownes were- thanks for posting. I am in contact with some of the Quinn relatives. rgsd Margaret

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 am

All the source are on that somewhat speculative piece. I think I would go back to the sources if I were you as the Irish bits are not based on fact

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 am

Hi Susan

You may have this already. Two children of Michael Gavin and Fanny Burke Brown were baptised in Tulla parish:
Tulla parish register of baptisms, 1846-1862:
24 Apr 1857: Marcella Mary Gavan of Michael Gavan and Francis B. Browne, Newgrove; sponsors: Pat O’Grady, Anne B. Brown.
20 Feb 1859: Anne Jane Gavin of Michael Gavin and Fany Burke Browne, Kilduff; sponsors: Thos. Browne Burke, A. Henegan, J. O’Grady.

A notice of the birth of Marcella appeared in the Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser, Thur 23 Apr 1857: Births: At her father’s house, Newgrove Cottage, the wife of Michael Gavin, Esq., of a daughter.

Sheila

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:55 am

Re Gavin - in my searches for a Patrick Gavin in Oz, I came across the shipping record for the following:

arrival on the Tudor, 1860 in Sydney, from Tulla, Co Clare:
Michael Gavin - father Thadeus, mother Hannah (he is in the Tulla baptisms (1839 @ Clonlohan) to this couple, m=Hanna Loughlin)
Patrick Gavin - father Michael, mother Anne (he also in baptisms m=prob McNamara 184? @ Clonlohan)
Bridget Gavin - parents not named (there is a Bridget to Michael & Anne 1836)

Both young men said they were going to their cousin, Margaret Lyons, Sydney.

cheers, Kerry

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 am

The Clare Journal, Mon 4 Jul 1859:
Deaths: At Newgrove Cottage, on the 2nd inst., Thomas Brown Burke, Esq., aged 81 years. During a long life he gained for himself the respect and good opinion of all classes. He has left behind him the character of an honest upright man.
At his house near Bearfield, in the prime of life, on yesterday, after a few days illness, Mr. Michael Arthur, leaving a widow and children to lament his loss. His death is deeply deplored by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance.
Sheila