The Heaphys - A Family of Teachers

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

The Heaphys - A Family of Teachers

Post by murf » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:39 am

While perusing the 1905 List of Teachers, my attention was drawn to a bunch of teachers named Heaphy, all educated in Ballinacally, so I decided this required further investigation.
Robert Heaphy and Margaret Glynn, both teachers, were married at Ballinacally in 1861. It's likely that the ceremony took place in the new Ballicorick Church, timed as it was just 8 days prior to the official opening of the new building.
Records show that Robert and Margaret raised a family of three sons and nine daughters. In gathering this information I noted that one of the sponsors at the baptism of daughter Nora Jane in 1866 was Hugh Brady. I am tempted to assume that the Master Teacher may have provided some inspiration for the Heaphy children in the choice of a future career. But regardless, it eventuated that at least nine of the twelve siblings entered the teaching profession. Using the 1905 List and other resources, I put together a brief summary of their details, as per the table below:
Heaphy.jpg
Heaphy.jpg (268.98 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
I have seen previous examples of siblings taking up the same occupation, but to find eleven members (including the parents) of a single family unit doing it, I find to be truly remarkable.