Patrick Bugler (1895-1964)

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Patrick Bugler (1895-1964)

Post by murf » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:25 am

Hi Sheila
I was feeling uneasy that we had diverged from the original subject of Inishcaltra Parish in Griffiths Valuation
so I started a new thread. I hope forum members will forgive us for border jumping. At least we started in Co Clare.

Yes that obit for Bridget Bugler is quite extraordinary, with in addition to the usual list of chief mourners, a further long list of mass card givers, then another long list of telegram and letter senders. It will take me a while to go thru and sort the wheat from the chaff.

Patrick's obituary also lists the three religious sisters:
DEATH OF MR. P. BUGLER, LIMERICK
The death took place in Limerick last night of Mr. Patrick Bugler, St. Senan's. Plassy, Co. Limerick. The late Mr. Bugler, who was aged 69, was one of the leading exporters of cattle in the South of Ireland. He was an extensive farmer and was well-known in the trade throughout the country.
He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Theresa Bugler; two sons, Mr. Bugler and Rev. John Bugler. O.C.. Upton Co. Cork; Mrs. G. Barrington (Dublin) and Mrs. J. Lyons, Ardagh (daughters); Mr. John Bugler, Kilmihil (brother); Mrs. M. Culhane. Mrs. D. O'Brien. Mrs. M. Hourigan. Rev. Mother Peter Good Shepherd Convent. Waterford. Rev. Mother Patrick, Presentation Convent, Cashel. and Rev. Mother Patricia, Mercy Convent, Tipperary (sisters).
Irish Examiner, Saturday, December 19, 1964; Page: 11
You will note that all three are now Reverend Mothers. The three unmarried daughters were Catherine(b 1896), Agnes(b 1900) and Lucy (b 1902). I'm guessing that Catherine, the oldest may have been the single Rev Mother in 1950.
It's a bit strange that there is a bunch of four of Henry and Bridget's children born between Peter (21 Jun 1894) and Agnes (8 Sep 1900) for which there is no birth registration.
murf

Sduddy

Re: Patrick Bugler (1895-1964)

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 am

Hi Murf

Yes, the sending of telegrams and the listing of them in the paper was something I’d never encountered before, but it must have been the fashion around the 1950s.

Yes, I agree that the three Reverend Mothers are Catherine, Agnes and Lucy Bugler. If you are really intent on finding out which girl went into which order, you could write to the archivist of each order. I’ve written a couple of times to archivists of religious orders and on every occasion got a quick reply explaining who the person was. The address for The Good Shepherd Sisters (Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd) is on their web site: https://www.goodshepherdsisters.com. The Presentation Sisters is a much larger organisation and have various provinces – I’m not sure if this Presentation Sisters Union, South West Province, Ireland, takes in Tipperary, but maybe the archivist would put you on the right track anyway: http://presentationsisterssw.ie/about/contact// . The Archives of the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy is at http://sistersofmercy.ie/archives/.

Many girls in Clare were recruited to orders of nuns that had their mother houses in other countries. A relative of mine joined the Sisters of Charity of St. Martha and lived for the rest of her life in Bergerac, Bordeaux, France. I’ve discovered that other girls from Clare joined the same order, so I reckon one of those nuns was sent to Ireland, where she would have been given permission by the parish priests to visit the schools. I would never, ever, have found this relative if I hadn’t spoken to her brother. An old box of Christmas cards revealed another more distant relative, who had entered the Sisters of the Little Company of Mary in Limerick, and sent one of the Order’s own Christmas cards every year, signing it with her name in religion. There was nothing to show what her original name was, or which family she belonged to. I wrote to the archivist of the order and got a reply straightaway explaining who she was. I was a bit remiss myself when I was making my first family tree 50 years ago, and just wrote “nun” whenever one was mentioned. But later (40 years later) I got a bright idea and wrote to one nun who was still sending her Christmas card every year (all the way from Pennsylvania), and of course she was able to tell me exactly which order each of those “nuns” had entered.

In the 1950s, nuns were not allowed to go to funerals or weddings, and many of them were not allowed to visit home. I think this was to impress upon them that they were now in a new family. Later this rule was relaxed a bit. I remember two nuns from America were allowed to visit their home when their mother died, but when they came to our house, we had to take chairs outside and sit with them there. Later still, in the 1960s, that rule no longer applied, of course.

Once upon a time, religious orders expected to receive a “dowry” when a girl entered, probably the equivalent of what she would have received if she had married. I don’t know very much on this subject, but I think some orders expected a larger dowry than others, and I think some orders got a reputation for being posh. I think, for instance, that the Dominican Sisters would have been richer than some other orders. But the orders that the Bugler girls entered were not very posh, and I’m sure the Buglers had contributed large dowries when they entered, so I think well-off families did not confine themselves to well-off orders. Having said that, if the family continued to contribute handsomely to the religious order, I think that would have enhanced the status of the daughter within that order – that’s just my own suspicion, of course.

Murf, I was reading your family history: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... y/main.htm, and noted Catherine Murphy and her daughter Teresa McInerney – whose husband’s family (the Buglers) you have begun to research. I looked at Teresa in the 1911 census (Teresia) when she was aged 14 (living in Ennistimon) and I noticed that her father, John McInerney, obligingly gives his birthplace as Clenagh, which is in the civil parish of Kilmaleery. Had you noticed that there was a query by “moytura” in 2016, entitled “McInerneys from Clenagh, Co. Clare”: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6836. In his first posting, “Moytura” includes John (Ennistymon) in his list of the children of Patrick McInenery and Ellen Burke. If Moytura’s information in that posting is correct, those McInerneys from Clenagh really scattered themselves about.

About the non-registration of 4 Bugler births between 1895 – 1900: I noticed that births of the first two children (Christina Margaret (Gretta) in 1891, and Mary in 1892) were reported by the Nurse, Catherine Marshall (who gives her address as Mt Shannon?), and I wondered if the Buglers had continued to rely on the family nurse to report births, but no, I saw that Henry reported two other births, and Bridget reported the birth of Lucy in 1902. That put paid to that theory. Then I thought that the book for Annacotty district for those years might have been lost or misfiled, but no, I see that the birth of a William Mulqueen was registered in Annacotty in April 1895; also the birth of a John Lane, whose address is Rivers, was registerd in Annacotty in September 1895. So why not Patrick Bugler’s birth – it is a mystery.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:02 am

Hi Sheila

Thanks for those links, but these nuns are a bit remote from my family to warrant the task of trying to track them down.

I was aware of that 2016 post on the Clenagh McInerneys, but at the time I had nothing further to add to the discussion.
My chief interest with that family was (and is) with the two sons - John of Ennistymon and Michael of Loughrea.

There were three Ryan tenants in the Rivers Townland, Annacotty in Griffiths Valuation:
John Ryan - House, no land
Denis Ryan - House, offices on 31 acres
James Ryan - Offices on 48 acres
Bridget, the widow of John Ryan and mother-in-law of Henry Bugler died in 1918 at 83 years of age. Her obituary indicates that she had no sons, only four married daughters, including Bridget, wife of Henry Bugler. Henry and Bridget were married in 1890, and it would appear that Henry's transition from Kilrateera to Annacotty involved taking over one of the Ryan properties in Rivers.

It's a laborious process trying to trace Ryans among the 4,868 bearers of that name in Limerick during the 1901 Census!!

This may be a good place to end this discussion unless it has direct relevance to Co Clare.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers, murf

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:41 pm

The recent death notice of another Clare nun with a Bugler grandmother prompted me to start looking at Bugler connections:
https://rip.ie/death-notice/sr.-carmel- ... ary/429344
http://www.clare.fm/obituaries/sr-carme ... -killaloe/

Google quickly brought me to the Clare Past Forum.

Sr. Carmel Scanlan's paternal grandmother was Bridget Bugler, and appears to have been the Bridget baptised in Jun 1865 and mentioned in your original Inishcaltra parish thread at
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=7121
(I will take your word for it that there was only one John Bugler of Kilrateera having children in the 1860s, despite all five households in Kilrateera in both 1855 and 1901 being Bugler families!)

The Scanlan family are probably even ahead of the Bugler family in terms of the number of family members who entered religious life.

There are multiple connections between the Scanlans of Gortmagy (County Clare), the Buglers of Kilrateera (originally County Galway) and the Ryans of Rivers (County Limerick):
- on 4 Feb 1890, Henry Bugler from Kilrateera married Bridget Ryan of Rivers;
- on 9 Feb 1891, Patrick Scanlan of Gortmagy married Henry's sister Bridget Bugler; and
- on 1 Jul 1901, Patrick's brother Thomas Scanlan from Gortmagy married Bridget Ryan's sister Ellen Ryan.
So there were two Scanlan families and a Bugler family who were all first cousins to each other, but didn't have a single set of common grandparents!

I will draw these threads to the attention of the genealogists in the Ryan and Scanlan dynasties.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am

I just want to correct a small point I made in passing regarding a French order of nuns which some Clare women joined in the mid 20th century. I said it was in Bergerac, but I should have said it was in Perigueux (Couvent Sainte-Marthe de Périgueux). I realise now that Bergerac was just the airport that my relative went to when visiting his sister in the convent.

Sheila

Hack

Post by Hack » Tue May 04, 2021 2:47 pm

RE Patrick Bugler 189.docx
(8.51 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

murf

Post by murf » Wed May 05, 2021 3:31 am

Hi Hack, and welcome to the forum. Note that the locked items at the top of the Forum Page give info on how to post on the forum.
Mrs Bridget Ryan, of Annacotty died in 1918. Her obituary reads, in part:
LATE MRS. B. RYAN, ANNACOTTY
The remains of the late Mrs Bridget Ryan, of Annacotty, was laid to rest at Mount St Lawrence Cemetery, on Monday, 22nd Instant. The deceased lady lived to the ripe old age of 83 years, and had seen her great-grandchildren. She was loved by all, and was of an exceptionally kind and charitable disposition, and deeply respected by all classes of the community. In her the poor have lost a good friend.The funeral was large and representative, and testified to the respect in which the deceased was hetd. The officiating clergymen were............
The chief mourners were-K Barry, J Scanlan, P Gavln, H Bugler (sons-ln-law), Mrs Barry, Mrs Scanlan, Mrs Gavin, Mrs Bugler (daughters), Mrs M Ryan (daughter-In-law), Deana and Paulina. Joe, Ned, and Dan Barry, James, Nellie, and Mabel Gavin, Rita, Ned, John, and Bernard Scanlan, John, Peter, Delia, Ally, Agnes Bugler, and Mrs M Macmahon (grandchildren), Mary and James MacMahon (great- grandchildren), Mrs Costelloe sister), Mrs Troy, Mrs Guinan, and L Costelloe (nieces).
Limerick Leader, Monday, April 22, 1918
The obit of her daughter, Bridget Ryan Bugler includes further family connections:
OBITUARIES
Mrs. Bridget Bugler, Rivers, Annacotty
We deeply regret to announce the death of Mrs. Bridget Bugler, relict of Henry Bugler, late of Rivers, Annacotty, which took place on the 10th February, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Culhane, Castletroy House, Co Limerick. The remains were removed to St Patrick's Parish Church and after Requiem High Mass the following morning, the sad and very representative cortege took Its way to Mount St Lawrence Cemetery, where the remains were interred in the family burial place. Rev. Father _O'Regan_, C C, said Mass, assisted by Rev. Father Green, C C ; Rev. Michael O'Donoghue_, Rev . Father Creed, CO.; Very Rev. Canon Moloney _, PP.; Rev. Dr Cowpar, PP.; Rev. Father O'Grady, Adm, St. John's; Rev. Fr. O'Callaghan, Rev. Father Smith, PP.; Rev. Fathen Aloysius, OFM., and Rev. Father Ryan. The chief mourners were — Pat Bugler and John Bugler (sons); Mrs. M. Culhane, Mrs T O'Brien, Mrs M. Hourigan, Rev. Mother Patrick (Presentation Convent, Cashel), Sr. Patricia (Mercy Convent, Tipperary)_, Sr, Peter (Good Shepherd Convent, Limerick) (daughters); Mrs. Pat Bugler, _Mrs_> Annie, Bugler, Mrs John Bugler (daughters-inlaw); Michael Houiigan, T. O'Brien (sons-in-law); Mrs. K. Barry (sister); John Bugler (brother-in-law), Mrs, John Ireton, Messrs. James, Harry, Michael. Pat and Kevin Culhane, Misses Maureen and Eileen Culhane, Misses Muriel and Iiene Bugler, Mr. Harry Bugler, Mr John Bugler, Misses Mary and Breda Hourigan, Masters Richard, Michael and Dan Houiigan; Miss Ann Bugler, Miss Joan O'Brien, Miss Patricia Bugler, Master Tom O'Brien (grandchildren).
Limerick Leader, Saturday, February 25, 1950
Note that the above obits have been edited. They contain also extensive lists of people who sent mass cards, telegrams and letters.
It appears that Bridget Ryan's maiden name was McInerney, as evidenced by the birth records of her daughters Catherine 1866, and Helena 1868. From what I can gather John and Bridget's four daughters and their husbands were:
Bridget and Henry Bugler, Catherine and Edmond Barry, Helena and Thomas Scanlan, Mary and Patrick Gavin.
Note also that Mrs Costelloe was sister of Bridget McInerney Ryan,
and that Michael Culhane was husband of Mary Bugler, daughter of Henry and Bridget Bugler.

Hope this helps in finding your grandmother's connection.
Cheers, murf

Hack

Post by Hack » Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 am

Many thanks for information. Problem solved. My grandmother’s father was James Costelloe and his wife’s maiden name was Mcinerney.
Hack.