Researching Family of Andrew Donnellan and Mary Connole

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Researching Family of Andrew Donnellan and Mary Connole

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi Phil

I think the Kerry’s advice about doing as much research as possible at your own end is very good advice. As you’ve probably noticed, there are very few records for the people who lived in the early 19th century in Ireland. Very often it is through the Australian death records that we discover the names of our ancestors here. The death records for my great grandaunts and great granduncle (siblings of my great grandfather), who left Co. Clare for Australia between 1852 and 1862, give their parents names and address, and other useful information. The same amount of information would not have been given if they’d died here – for instance their mother’s name would have been omitted. On this page (see Sat Jun 06 above) you mention that you believe that Michael Donnellan, a brother of Andrew, arrived in Port Adelaide, South Australia in July 1866, aboard the Ernestine. His wife Mary McNamara and their children were with him. Have you found a record of his death? That might give his parents’ names and, if so, then you will have the names of Andrew’s parents too. You mention that a Thomas Donnellan, who intended to go to Australia, died before he could go, but his wife, Bridget, and their children went and arrived in Port Adelaide in October 1853 aboard the Neptune. I know that Bridget’s death record will give her parent’s names and not those of Thomas, but if there’s an address for her parents, that might be helpful to your research. Maybe you have done all that stuff already.

Phil, In your next posting you ask about a cross-over site that would help you with your Kenny ancestors in Co. Galway, but I don’t think there is any equivalent, in any county in Ireland, of the Research Support that is provided in the Genealogy page of clarelibrary.ie.

I hope you will find the parents of Andrew, Michael, Thomas etc., but I honestly don’t think you will find them in the Irish records. Marriages that took place after 1864 were registered and those records* give the father of both the bride and the groom. But I suspect that all of the siblings of Andrew were already married by 1864. Marriages that took place before 1864 were recorded in parish registers (many of which have not survived), but the priest did not give the names of the parents of the bride and groom. In my own case, I know the names of my great grandparents, but I don’t know the names of all my great great grandparents, and that’s life in Ireland! Once you go back to 1800, or thereabouts, you are travelling into the mists of time.
*www.irishgenealogy.ie (for Kilmaley records, look under Ennis civil registration district).

Sheila

PhilDon

Post by PhilDon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:33 am

Hello “Richard from Sydney”

Thank you for taking the time to seek me out and make contact in regard our Donnellan / Connole family thread on this Forum.
From our brief conversation, back in June, it is quite obvious that you have considerable knowledge and recollections of this branch of our family.
You clearly made considerable efforts to track me down .... for which I feel most privileged and grateful. Unfortunately, ...... As you may remember ..... I was somewhat inconvenienced at the time of your call. Those circumstance have now changed for the better.
I would be most appreciative if you were able to contact me again. Please feel free to use either the Landline or mobile numbers you called previously.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers Phil Donnellan

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:07 am

Just came across this post today and thought I would add my two cents worth. There are two Corrin addresses referenced in Kilmaley Parish records. There is an area sometimes called Corrin, which is actually the townland of Carncreagh, Furroor. Carncreagh is sometimes listed as Corrin Cree, and various other spellings.

The second area sometimes called Corrin or Corran, seems to be in the present day townland of Ballyilaun, Killaniv. The Donnellan's are present in that townland in 1855. Carmody's, Meere's, Talty's and Hayes' all appear in both the Tithe Applotments in 1826, and the Griffith's Valuations in 1855. At times these families identify Corrin in their children's baptism registrations. The Griffy family appears in Ballyillaun in the Griffith's and also identified Corrin as their home.

John Mayer

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Hello Phil,

I hadn't previously taken much notice of this post, despite it being one of very few to mention migration to South Australia where I live.

It is a remarkable coincidence that John Mayer's response has pushed this to the top of the posts at this time - a few days ago a Death Notice for a 95 year old woman appeared in the local paper. The online version here:
https://www.mytributes.com.au/notice/de ... n/5732002/
Although there were no clues in the Death Notice, I recognised the name from DNA matching, I did a bit of research and found that she is related to me through her mother and that her father was Bernard Donnellan (son of Patrick who you refer to in your original post).

Sorry that I don't have anything to add in regards to the earlier generations of Donnellan.

Regards,
Mark

ADon

Post by ADon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi,

I am a bit let to this conversation,
I am very interested in the Cragnagour Donnellan's and any information you have on them,
I am the grandson of Peter there brother who stayed in Ireland. Adventure must have run in the family, Peter had an interesting life also, He ended up working in the ship yards in Belfast and worked on the Titanic, He married a Belfast girl and moved to Dublin, where he opened a shop. Peter erected the Headstone in Drumcliff Graveyard for John, Susan, Patrick, James, Michael, Fredrick.

Regards,

Andrew.
smcarberry wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:08 pm
Very good reading for us Donnellan descendants, on the families in and around Crusheen. I have more info on the Cragnagour ones, as some went to Western New York and thrived there, with much mention in newspapers. However, very early in my Donnellan research, I went to the Registry of Deeds (Dubln Four Courts) and took notes that include what I have been regarding as the early history of the later Ennis family which uses the names Michael and Patrick a lot (as did all the D. families of Clare, actually). I have a bit more on men named Michael, resident in Ennis during the 1800s.

Just so we all have the same early data, I attach my file note on an 1803 deed involving Kilquane, and here is another old posting by a descendant on a board no longer functioning:
"Michael Donnellan born c1810 near Ennis, Co. Clare married Mary McMahon c1835. The couple had seven children, five sons and two daughters. In 1865 three sons, John, Patrick and Thomas migrated to South Australia, the rest of the family followed in 1866."

And then a brief mention of a Kilquane family:
8/03/1837: Limerick newspaper, Library donated database
Mrs. Donellan, wife of Mr. Patrick Donnellen, of Kilquane, county Clare.

[attachment=0]D. of Kllquane, 1803 deed.JPG[/attachment