Dates of existence of Tulla Poor Law Union

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pwaldron

Dates of existence of Tulla Poor Law Union

Post by pwaldron » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 pm

I have been looking in the Irish Civil Registration Indexes for the deaths of my GGgrandmother's first cousin Thomas O'Halloran and his wife Bridget O'Halloran. They were born in 1841 and 1848 respectively and lived in Rhineville House in the townland of Rine in the parish of Quin. Both were alive in the 1911 census and Thomas was listed in Thom's Directories of 1924 (p.1110), 1925 (p.1110) and 1926 (p.1109) among the former Justices of the Peace for County Clare as `O'Halloran, Thomas, Rhineville, Quin'.

I checked my 1851 townland index, which says that Rine was then in Tulla Poor Law Union (or, in the misleading familysearch.org terminology, `Tulla Registration District'). The 1874 marriage of Thomas O'Halloran and Bridget Scanlon [sic] is indexed under Tulla Registration District.

Numerous searches for their deaths, however, have not turned up a single hit in Tulla Registration District.

So I decided to look instead for Bridget's probable brother Dr Stephen Scanlan [sic] (1861-1948) of Tulla. He is listed in Guy's 1893 directory as Medical officer and Registrar for the Dispensary and Registration district of Kilkishen in the Poor Law Union of Tulla. His death is indexed under Scarriff Registration District.

I know from http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/archiv ... unions.htm that Tulla Poor Law Union was first formed in 1850. I know from The Clare Elections that it still existed in 1898 when the Boards of Guardians were abolished under local government reforms.

This brings me to the point of this post - can anyone tell me if or when Tulla ceased to be a Poor Law Union or Superintendent Registrar's District? Was it merged with Scarriff Superintendent Registrar's District or split among two or more Superintendent Registrar's District? Should I be looking for the O'Halloran deaths in Scarriff or in some other neighbouring Registration District?

M. McNamara

Re: Dates of existence of Tulla Poor Law Union

Post by M. McNamara » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:19 pm

This site has lots of info about workhouses & PLUs. You will need to do a search for Tulla within the site.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... land.shtml

pwaldron

Re: Dates of existence of Tulla Poor Law Union

Post by pwaldron » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Many thanks Michael.

My question is answered at
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Tulla/
In 1907, the overcrowded condition of the District Lunatic Asylum at Ennis led the Clare County Council to propose the amalgamation of the Tulla and Scariff unions, with the Tulla workhouse then being converted into an auxillary asylum. The amalgamation of the unions duly took place although in 1919, plans for converting the Tulla workhouse were still "in abeyance".