Doonass and Truagh Baptisms and Marriages

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Doonass and Truagh Baptisms and Marriages

Post by Sduddy » Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks to cityfitz for his generous contribution to these transcriptions of Doonass and Truagh Baptisms 1851 – 1880: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 1/mode/1up, and Marriages 1851 – 1883: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 1/mode/1up.

The Doonass and Truagh baptism register seems to have been badly kept: there are a lot of gaps – some of weeks, some of up to a month. I doubt that any family will be found complete, and some families, of just one, or two children, may not be found at all.

The Catholic parish of Doonass and Truagh covers the civil parish of Kintenalea, which is where Doonass lies, plus the lower part of O’Brien’s Bridge parish, which is where Truagh lies. It also covers the townlands in the southern part of the civil parish of Kilseily, e.g. the townlands of Sally Bank, Mount Rice, Meanagh, Clontra and Derryvinane. Consulrea/Consilrea, listed in the Tithe Applotment Books, but not in Griffith’s Valuation (i.e. an “unofficial” townland), also belongs to Kilseily parish.

Note that the transcription of the Marriage Register has a column headed “Residence”, and I should explain that, until 1856, this is the residence of the bride, as given by the priest; thereafter the matter is not so clear. Marriages almost always took place in the parish of the bride, so I think it is reasonable to suppose that the residence given thereafter is that of the bride, but very often both groom and bride came from the parish of Doonass and Truagh, and then the priest may, at times, have entered the residence of the groom instead of that of the bride.

Sheila
Doonass&TruaghBaptisms1851-1880 .xlsx
(207.76 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Doonass&TruaghBaptisms1851-1880 by residence.xlsx
(201.14 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

Sduddy

Re: Doonass and Truagh Baptisms and Marriages

Post by Sduddy » Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 am

Here are the marriages: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 1/mode/1up

Sheila
Doonass Truagh Marriages.xlsx
(87.77 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Doonass Truagh Marriages by groom.xlsx
(78.19 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Doonass Truagh Marriages by bride.xlsx
(79.6 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:21 am

The Doonass Marriage register contains an interesting entry on page 8 (online): https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 8/mode/1up
It refers to a marriage which took place on 26 Nov 1822, but the entry itself was made thirty years later in 1852 by Rev. Patrick Quinlivan, P.P.. It is presented sideways online, so I couldn’t read it, but cityfitz (Jeff) succeeded in reading and transcribing it and it was included in the work he sent me. I did not include the entry in my notes column - I wrote “see full entry page 8” - but regret that now, so I am giving it here:
I Reverend Patrick Quinlivan formerly Parish Priest of the Parish of Kiltannonlea of Doonass in the County of Clare, but now of the laity of Limerick, do hereby certify that on the Twenty-sixth day of November one thousand eight hundred and twenty-two The Honorable Thomas Browne, son of the late Earl of Kenmare was duly and Canonically married to Miss Catherine O’Callaghan, daughter of Edmond O'Callaghan Esquire, then deceased of Mount Catherine in the Parish of Kiltanonlea or Doonass in the County of Clare, of which I was then the Parish Priest and that said marriage ceremony was performed by the Right Reverend Dr O'Saughnessy, Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Killaloe for me and in my presence according to the Rites of the Roman Catholic Church to which they belonged which Ceremony was witnessed by Mrs Ellen Baggot, Robert Braxton and Mary Braxton his wife and others. Which I certify this 20th day of May 1952, Patrick Quinlivan, p.p. The above is the substance of the entry in the Register of the parish of Kiltanmonlea of Doonass made by me on the 26th day of November 1822 - which I certify this 20th day of May 1852, Patrick Quinlivan, p.p.
Griffith’s Valuation shows the Earl of Kenmare as the landlord in the townlands of Rannagh, Lisduff and Knockdoocunna in the parish of Tulla; the townlands of Mountallon, Lakyle, Knockatloe, Coolistoonan, Cloonloum More and Cloonloum Beg in the parish of Clonlea, and the townland of Coolnahella in the parish of Killuran. The Wikipedia entry below* explains how the Earl of Kenmare came to be a landlord in Co. Clare. But his title must have come under question; it seems that in 1852 he needed proof of the marriage that had made him heir to those lands – hence the statement by Rev. Quinlivan. *https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine ... of_Kenmare
I think Mountallon House must have been the centre of the Kenmare estates in Co. Clare, but I don't see it mentioned in www.landedestates.ie.
Frost writes a note on Mountallon in the third paragraph here: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... homond.htm

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:40 am

I have a bit more information on Mount Allon House since I have been collecting data on Patrick Quaid, longtime priest of O'Callaghan's Mills Parish. Fr. Quaid first came to Clare from his native Limerick in 1835, likely being the reason why a parish register was started that year. My first mention of him at Mount Allon is a passing reference in 1842. For some reason he sold his residence, Mount Allon House, in 1858 (see attachment) although he continued as PP through the 1870s. I have to wonder as to its condition and quality by then, since it was built by the O'Callaghans when they were first moved from their confiscated Cork estate in the 1600s. The Landed Estates database (NUI Galway) states that they departed Mount Allon for Kilgory in the mid 1700s.
1858 Quaid's MtAllon farm for sale.jpg
1858 Quaid's MtAllon farm for sale.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 3595 times