Lucas and Noonan, central and east Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Lucas and Noonan, central and east Clare

Post by smcarberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 pm

I am starting a new string of postings on these two families, in response to Paddy Casey's remarking on the Lucas who lived in Ruan. I am assisting descendants in Western New York and Ontario, Canada. While both the Ontario and NY families have well documented family members in North America, an organized effort to sift through evidence of their Clare roots has been lacking, which is how I became involved. I have outlined Lucas history in Clare from its start with property gained by Col. Benjamin Lucas of Mountlucas, Co. Offaly (then Kings) during the 1640-50s, through disasterous mismanagement of the main Ballingaddy farm in the 1700s, to dispersal of sons around Clare, with the last group being in the Kilrush area. Along the way, the Lucas family rubbed elbows with some very influential people but also had family members dying of disease and languishing in the workhouse during the famine period. Just prior to that, though, the East Clare ones, who had converted to Catholicism and thus appear in the Parish of O'Callaghan Mills records, took the offer of assisted emigration by their landlord Wyndham, so a set left in 1840 and another in 1847 (in a group of young men who included a Tynan I have been tracking for my own research). The conundrum is exactly who converted and thus which graveyards to search for the Charles Lucas who last seemed to live in the town of Tulla in about 1855. He himself did not appear in any RC record, but his apparent brother Thomas did, and the James and John/Joseph who lived on Munmore Farm in Moymore (closer to Ruan) were staunchly Catholic as well. Their marriages were to Noonan women, likewise RC.

I am showing below the Ruan part of the story. As ever, the Library website was invaluable in piecing together the early
history. Also, the database of 1827-33 eviction cases which I donated came in useful as a rare instance of a record for
Charles Lucas, showing that he lost his Killuran leasehold in 1829. I think (but would like to confirm) that the 1856 Slater's
Directory mention of a __ Lucas, Esq. as poor law inspector residing in Toonagh might have been his last record. I also
know that the 1876 propertyowners list (one acre or more) shows an Andrew Lucas in Moyrhee, and I do know what
happened to him. My focus is on Charles Lucas and his wife Mary Noonan, with no birth, marriage, or death dates known
as yet. Son Thomas was born about 1822. I have photos of living family members descended from Thomas and their
resemblance to the below portrait image of their famous ancestor Dr. Charles Lucas is eerie. Dr. Lucas pulled himself up by
his bootstraps from the failed circumstances of the Ballingaddy farm operation, so that he went from apothecary to
physician to political commentator and founder of The Freeman's Journal, with a statue in his honor in Dublin. There is
much more to the overall story, most of which I have, including some 1901 residences and a 1963 photo of a John Lucas
yet in a Moymore school. It is that aggravating mid-1800s period that is missing.

Sharon Carberry
[out of contact until Nov. 1st while I conduct research at the Allen County Library in Indiana]
Dr Chas Lucas.jpg
Dr. Charles Lucas (1713-1771)
Dr Chas Lucas.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 14885 times
"In the years 1740-41, a diary kept by a Mr. Lucas of Drumcavan illustrates the use the people of the rural hinterland made of the fair. Lucas, a descendant of a Cromwellian settler, lived in the parish of Ruan about eight miles north of Ennis. He attended fairs within a fifteen miles radius of his farm. Along with the Clonroad fairs, he attended fairs at Clare, Ennis, Quin, and Spancilhill. In preparation for the July fair of Clonroad,Lucas had his servants drive his cattle from his out farm at Balingaddy, north of Ennistymon, to his home farm at Drumcavan. The evening before the fair he sent 30 two-year-old bullocks by three of his servants to Clonroad. Men and cattle travelled through the night to be on the fair green in the early morning."
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/.../ei ... _fairs.htm

Dal gCais number 5 (1979)
Litton, Francis J.(ed.): Diary of Farmer Lucas of Ruan, 101-103
Listing of 286 names is taken from Brian Ó Dálaigh’s article, ‘The Lucas diary 1740 -41’ which was published in
Analecta Hibernica volume 40, 2007, at pages 73 – 187

The Lucas family held lands at Drumcavan in Ruan parish and at Ballingaddy East in the parish of Kilmanaheen.
[original diary lost, copy is preserved]
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 0_1741.htm
Lucas, Benjamin
Lucas, Catherine
Lucas, Connor
Lucas, Doll
Lucas, Doro
Lucas, Francis
Lucas, Jack
Lucas, Nancy
Lucas, Natt
Lucas, Samuel
Lucas, Timothy
Gore, Cousin
Gore, John
Gorman, William
Hill, Aunt
Hill, Michael
Hill, William

Paddy Casey

Re: Lucas and Noonan, central and east Clare

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:12 pm

smcarberry wrote: I am showing below the Ruan part of the story.
I ........know that the 1876 propertyowners list (one acre or more) shows an Andrew Lucas in Moyrhee, and I do know what
happened to him.
Sharon,

That Andrew Lucas will be the one in the 1901 census of Moyrhee Commons at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... s18_26.htm

Paddy

mountlucas

Post by mountlucas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi recently myself and my cousin published a book on the Lucas family of Mount Lucas Offaly. Following publication we continued our research on the family. Recently we visited to Dublin City Hall we took pictures of Charles Lucas M.P. We also found a deed? in the National Archive from 1667 which talks about lands in Ballingaddy bering leased for 21 years by Henry Lucas.
The document also mentions several other Lucas' from the time and from what can be made out from the faded writing lands in several other counties.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Kenneth,

I have several more references to documents in the National Archives (Dublin) relating to Lucas property in Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, and Offaly. If you send me a private message via this Forum (using the members list feature), I can provide those and also the email contact info for Lucas descendants in New York, Vermont, and Ontario Province, Canada. In the meantime below are materials bearing on the very beginning of the Lucas family in Ireland and also the more recent part of the family in Clare.

Sharon Carberry
USA, not related

Research paper on Dr. Charles Lucas, with the Ballingaddy family's exact relationship to Benjamin Lucas (Cromwellian grantee) and Benjamin's exact English origin. Also see the will citation in the footnotes on page six:
homepage.eircom.net/~seanjmurphy/epubs/lucas.pdf

Last prominent Lucas in Clare politics:
1893 directory
Thomas Lucas, J.P., Sandfield lodge
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... gentry.htm

His apparent descendant:
in current telephone directory
Lucas, John & Mary. Sandfield Lodge, Lahinch

Sandfield House is an elegant Georgian residence off main R478 Lahinch
to Cliffs of Moher Road.
http://www.irishbeds.com/bnb/clare/119.html

douglasmclaughlin

Post by douglasmclaughlin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:01 am

Sharon Carberry... Are you aware of the research that Therese (Lucas) McLaughlin has done over the past number of years on the Lucas family (John/Joseph who lived on Munmore Farm in Moymore )... Married Margaret (Peggy) Noonan? Her book "Ireland to Downeyville" follow Joseph(john) and his wife Margaret Noonan, with their children John(15), Bridget (12), Charles (9) and Ellen (7) when they emigrated from Tulla area to Ontario Canada in 1840 n the ship "James Cook".

The individual we have been looking for is their son Thomas (1). He was registered to go with them, however there was a note on the ship's log that he was left behind, probably with family...

If anyone has any information on this 1838 or 1839 Thomas, we would appreciate any help we could get... thank you kindly

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:21 pm

Douglas,

Good to hear from you. Yes, I sent the below book review to the Lucas descendant who requested my research, back in 2009 when I completed that research and sent the results to him, with a recommendation that he contact Therese. If I remember correctly, he later emailed me that he was in touch and combining his family history efforts with her. He has since retired and, so far as I know, left his longtime residence in a suburb of Rochester NY, for the warmth of Florida.

I had not know that the Ontario end of the family left behind an infant Thomas. I just now quickly reviewed my Lucas notes and don't see anything that might relate to him. However, since 2009 a lot more records have come online. Try Ancestry.com or FindMyPast for petty offenses like letting not licensing a dog or letting your sheep wander.

Good luck to you on that,
Sharon Carberry
Lucas of Downeyville book.jpg
Lucas of Downeyville book.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 12916 times
Downeyville ONT book, pt 2.jpg
Downeyville ONT book, pt 2.jpg (46.82 KiB) Viewed 12916 times