Clare men in the U.S. Civil War, additions to online database

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Clare men in the U.S. Civil War, additions to online database

Post by smcarberry » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 pm

I recently submitted information on additional soldiers to the existing online database, again arising from my browsing of obituaries and biographies while researching for other purposes. The new material is now online; use the link https://tinyurl.com/y4j54d8w The new ones are not immediately apparent because the format of all the entries is the same. See the list below. For the most part, I have repeated what sources stated for them, except I did check rank and unit at Fold3 for some. Also, a few entries have been changed for soldiers already in the database, after I found additional information on them.

Any background checking I did on these was cursory, and real researching might reveal more or different details. All in all, this is a great group of soldiers with extensive battle experience. Remember that many of them were drafted or in such poor economic circumstances that a soldier's pay was needed, so being in war was not their first choice of how to spend their lives for 3 or 4 years. Post-war, the best many could hope for was a pension and maybe some rest in a National Soldier's Home, but there was not such thing as a diagnosis for PTSD, from which some surely suffered.

Sharon Carberry

The newly added:
Clifford, James A.
Curry, John
Deveney, Martin
Donahoe, John
Freeman, James
Hederman, David
Horrigan, Martin
Long, John
Lynch, Patrick
Meaney, Martin
Morrison, Martin
O'Brien, Simon
Talty, Cornelius
Talty, Hugh

kbarlow

Re: Clare men in the U.S. Civil War, additions to online database

Post by kbarlow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 am

Hi Sharon - thank you for your untiring work on this type of material for the Clare diaspora.

Kerry

s1nead

Re: Clare men in the U.S. Civil War, additions to online datab

Post by s1nead » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 am

Thank you so much for creating this database.
I have recently discovered a Civil War Union Officer who is not included on your list.
Captain William McMahon O’Brien was born at Peafield in Ennis in 1841 and emigrated to New York In 1851. He joined the 88th Irish Brigade, New York Regiment, Co E and fought in the Second Battle of Bull Run (Manassas).
I have more information about him which I will gladly share.
What would you need?
Susan Reilly DeVore
http://ennistymon.blogspot.com/

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am

Susan,

There will be updating of the database as long as the Library permits it, and I will happily include your O'Brien ancestor. At this point I just need a link or reference to get to wherever you found the details you posted about him. Format for the entries is being kept as uniform as possible. Beyond main aspects of a soldier's service, I don't try to include much about personal life, just enough to guide further research, like point of first entry into the U.S. and moves between states. If you have that as well, that's fine. Criteria for inclusion are (1) reliable evidence of Clare birth (O'Brien's birth being in Ennis is likely sufficient), (2) a specific military unit, and (3) the citation to where those details exist.

A great development for this database has come from Ancestry.com's search engine allowing extracting of Clare births from one state's existing military record database which does not have birth location as a search term. I am now in the process of going through dozens of soldiers newly identified for inclusion in the Library's database of Clare-born soldiers.

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:21 am

Thank you, Sharon!
I’ve collected the information you need about Captain William McMahon O’Brien.
Shall I post it here?
Or to an email address?

Susan
https://ennistymon.blogspot.com/

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:48 am

Susan,

It's totally your choice. If you post it here, then it will have the benefit and impact of any other posting to this forum. I can then include selected details for inclusion in the permanent soldier database on the Library website. To otherwise provide me with information, you can use this forum website's PM feature, for which you must be logged in just like you log in to make a posting. The link to "private messages" is just below the forum's search box in the upper right of the screen. The added benefit of a PM is that I can ask you discreetly about any aspect of the details with my own PM to your inbox here once you find it and can check it for messages.

Looking forward to your contribution,
Sharon C.

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:53 am

Hello Sharon -

I hope these attachments provide the information you need to add Captain William McMahon O’Brien to the database.

Let me know if there is anything else you might need.

Thank you!
52FCD388-D396-4246-8B25-94B9597302EF.jpeg
52FCD388-D396-4246-8B25-94B9597302EF.jpeg (354.31 KiB) Viewed 15874 times
A06CB3B1-BCDB-4658-830B-6C903AFF6399.jpeg
A06CB3B1-BCDB-4658-830B-6C903AFF6399.jpeg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 15874 times
FB318EA8-299E-4E85-8AB2-4F8593B1EF3B.jpeg
FB318EA8-299E-4E85-8AB2-4F8593B1EF3B.jpeg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 15874 times
9BC74125-3C56-42EF-841E-FD1C6FA19C33.jpeg
9BC74125-3C56-42EF-841E-FD1C6FA19C33.jpeg (541.13 KiB) Viewed 15874 times
Susan Reilly DeVore

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Tue May 19, 2020 1:58 am

Hi Sharon!

A while ago, I sent you some information about a Clare ancestor of mine who had served in the Civil War.

His name - William McMahon O’Brien - is not listed in your recent update of names.

Did you need any additional information in order to include his name?

Is there anything I’ll need to send to you?

Please let me know!

Thank you!
Susan

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed May 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Susan,

Thanks for doing such a polite request about my seeing your Jan. 18th posting with the details on your soldier. I can't recreate what was going on back then but somehow I never saw that posting although I check the Forum every day. I do know that when I went to do my own posting about the update to the database, I had to contact a technical support staffer for the Forum because of a glitch preventing me from posting. That was fixed and all works well now. So, it is very good that you again mentioned your fine contribution, because this time I saw it immediately upon checking the Forum this morning. Also, mid-January was when I was starting to use a new laptop and having some adjustment problems with it. Those too are in the past, and now I am ready with a truly lightweight computer for my future research trips, when and If those are ever back on the agenda.

You have provided all that is needed for William McMahon O'Brien to be included, and I will definitely ensure that his KIA is noted.

BTW the Herald's Office, the predecessor entity to the National Library for genealogical collections, likewise holds the confirmation of arms for a Donnellan family of Clare, a manuscript (on film) I viewed on my last trip to Dublin. This is a less-known way to access documentation found by the Herald in his research for granting of the arms, records now lost to fire and time, so kudos to you that you had the initiative to check out the now-digitized collections index provided by the National Library.

Stay safe,
Sharon Carberry

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:25 am

Thank you so much, Sharon!
I haven’t been checking the Forum lately so I’m sorry for this late acknowledgement.
Thanks again for your work in putting this database together!
Susan
https://ennistymon.blogspot.com/2017/05/