Meaning of "Lodged Information" Petty Sessions Offence

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

irish67

Meaning of "Lodged Information" Petty Sessions Offence

Post by irish67 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:36 pm

While doing some research on the Newmarket on Fergus Petty Sessions Court Register I have happened upon several instances where the offence is listed as "lodged information". I have failed to determine what this means from Google or any other means, would appreciate if someone here might be able to set me straight.
Jim

Jimbo

Re: Meaning of "Lodged Information" Petty Sessions Offence

Post by Jimbo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:41 am

Hi Jim,

From searching the term in a newspaper archive, "lodged an information" or "lodged informations" appears to be equivalent to "filed a complaint", "testified" or "submitted evidence", typically against someone in a court session, but also at a police station. An example, from County Clare below:
ROBBERIES BY A TRAMP
Kilrush, Tuesday Evening

Yesterday and a part of to-day the police of the Kilrush, Kilkee, and Carrigholt stations were actively engaged in a pursuit of a tramp named Batt Falvey, who on Sunday committed several robberies in a house at Carrigaholt. It appears that this tramp, who has no fixed address, went to the house of Michael Hanrahan, and asked for a night's lodging and obtained it . . . . Hanrahan in the morning, finding himself robbed of everything, went to the police-office, where he lodged informations. The telegraph wires were set in motion, and to-day, about three o'clock, Falvey was arrested at the village of Doonaka * by Sub-constable Walsh, of the Kilkee station, after having sold the ass and car and most of the clothes . . . .

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 27 January 1875

* most likely, Doonaha, about 3 miles to the north east of Carrigaholt

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am

Good clear response by Jimbo, that I will confirm from my years working in the criminal justice system in the U.S. "Lodge" means to put on file in the sense of "to register." "Information" in the criminal system refers to a formal action equivalent to a "complaint" in the civil suits. The next step is police work, followed by court action bringing in a defendant to enter a plea to the charged offense.

irish67

Post by irish67 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 am

Many thanks to both of you for your detailed responses. It makes sense. Looks like the residents of Newmarket on Fergus kept the Petty Sessions busy with relatively minor (by todays standards) complaints against their neighbours.

One curious incident concerns by GG Grandfather Michael Brennan. He appeared at the Petty Sessions in 1848, the offense as informed by Thomas Malley that he was "illegally keeping a cow and calf his property at Urlan". My first thought was why would one bother to report such a thing. My analysis of the situation was that Thomas Malley was a tenant farmer, he is in the Tithe Applotments as such, Michael Brennan may have been a labourer working for him. Thomas would have rented him a conacre to grow potatoes etc, perhaps he was also keeping a cow and calf contrary to what they had agreed.

They clearly did not get on in their early days, they were back before the Petty Sessions the following year, the charge levied by Thomas Malley against Michael Brennan " for attempting to stick me with a pitchfork and also attempting to strike me with stones". The satisfactory conclusion to this saga is that Thomas Malley's daughter Kate married Michael Brennan's son James and they became my great grandparents.....and Michael Brennan later appeared as a witness forThomas Malley at another Petty Session.