Michael Hogan in Australia

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

geoffcollins72

Michael Hogan in Australia

Post by geoffcollins72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 am

Hello from Australia

I am seeking your advice as to how I can further investigate my Irish ancestry ( from County Clare) as all avenues I have tried have not helped in the least.
The facts that I know are:-
Patriarch – Michael Hogan -great great grandfather- fate unknown, do not know if he left Ireland, arrived and died in Australia
*Ellen Hogan ( nee Cane/Kane/Kean) – off death certificate born County Clare died 1892 aged 93 years – 26 years in Victoria and 7 years in NSW
Children
Bridget – unknown, same information missing as her father
*Ellen – off death certificate born Dangan County Clare died 1912 aged 69 years – 40 years in Victoria and 17 years in NSW
*Patrick- off death certificate born County Clare died 1911 aged 74 years- 21 years in Victoria and 28 years in NSW
*Maria – off death certificate born Ireland died 1919 aged 70 years – 40 years in Victoria and 16 years in NSW
*Thomas- off death certificate born County Clare died 1905 aged 59 years – 28 years in Vitoria and 20 years in NSW
*Michael –off death certificate born Innis, County Clare died 1905 aged 45 years- 22 years in NSW – I do know that he also was in Victoria from family anecdotes- he is also my great grandfather.
*Margaret – off death certificate born Clare died 1924 aged 72 years- “over 50 years in both NSW and Victoria”
All of those marked with * are the only facts that I can confirm outside of the death certificates, as all of these family members are interred in 3 family plots at Gore Hill Cemetery, Sydney.
My work has also been made difficult because whilst Ellen, Maria, Michael and Margaret all married in Australia, only my great grandfather Michael produced any children and, unfortunately, these children were not prolific breeders which has resulted in my 2 sisters and myself as the whole descendent trail from this heritage.
There are similar named persons listed in sponsored immigration from your County Clare but I cannot determine if these are mine or not.

GeoffCollins

johnmayer

Re: Michael Hogan in Australia

Post by johnmayer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm

This may be a stretch but here goes anyway.

Just outside Ennis in Drumcliff Parish there was a family of Hogan's residing in the Tullassa/Gortmore area. These Hogan's were present at the time of the 1824 Tithe Applotments, where Thomas Hogan is present. In 1829 a Thomas Hogan and hise wife Catherine Hickey had a daughter named Hanora baptized in neighboring Kilmaley Parish. Her godparents were listed as Mathew Hogan and Bridget Molloy.

Kilmaley parish and Drumcliffe parishes would be about the same distance from the Hogan family home.

In April of 1849, John Hogan and his wife Bridget Keane had a son named Patrick baptized in Kilmaley Parish. His godmother was identified as Mary Keane. It was not uncommon for two brothers to marry two sisters. Could John and Bridget be siblings to your Michael and Ellen?

In November 1852, Thomas Hogan and his wife Margaret Barrett had a daughter named Susan baptized in Kilmaley Parish. Her godparents were John and Ellen Leahy.

At the time of the 1855 Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Hogan is identifies as renting 35 acres, two roods and thirty one perches of land from the Marquis of Conyngham, and Michael Hogan is renting an adjacent parcel of sixteen acres, no roods and one perch of land, also from Conyngham.

Based on the birthdates you provided for you ancesters in Clare, it would appear that your Michael Hogan would have been present in Clare in 1855. It is also likley that this Thomas and Michael are a father and son and you have a Thomas in your family as well.

I realize that there were over 30 Michael Hogan's present in Clare in 1855, but as I said in the beginning this may be a stretch. What I find interesting is the Keane connection.

Good luck!!

John

geoffcollins72

Re: Michael Hogan in Australia

Post by geoffcollins72 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:49 am

Hello John

Sorry if I have been tardy with a reply to your posting but I am unfamiliar with this site and hope that I have not offended- do you automatically get any notifiation as this would be great for me.
Anyway, I am erty interested in what you have covered but I am also naive in Irish history- not through choice, just circumstance . I have met such a mish mash of feasibility that I will take on board any information thay may give me the end result of pride in my ancestry.
With this said, the only thinge I know (or led to believe) are that my great grandfather was Michael Hogan and his parets were Michael Hogan and Ellen Kane/Kane/Cain/Caine and that they had 7 children: Bridget, Ellen, Patrick, Maria, Thomas , Michael ( my g/g/father) and Margaret . All, except, Michael (Snr) and Bridget are interred in Gore Hill Cemetery at Nth Sydney .
My major concern, without knowing anything other than this, is that the mother on all the death certificates lists Ellen as mother ( I presume this is Ellen Kane etc.) but it is illogical because if she was the mother she would have been aged abt 34 when she had Bridget but 53 when she had Margaret.
Does this indicate that she had additional children, was not some of their mother but may have been a smokescreen in case one of the girls "got into trouble" ., are therr other childen as you may be indicating. I note from Ellen (Snr) death certificate that there is the notation " supposed to be two deceased - sex unknown"
John any help is greatfully accepted as I have such an affinity with the Irish and it must be more than my distant genealogy.