1851 census - Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

1851 census - Clare

Post by Sduddy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Murf

A couple of years ago, you gave me good instructions for finding the statistics (by townland) from the 1851 census
I went back to the EPPI site to locate these stats, here's how:
From the EPPI homepage at http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi
In the search box put 1851 census clare
Scroll down a bit to find Census of Ireland 1851: part I, area, population, and number of houses, by townlands and electoral divisions: County of Clare
Click on this and then click on Open Document
You should be presented with the cover page for the Province of Munster.
County Clare is contained in the first 50 pages of this document.
Near the top right of the screen is the page navigation. If you go to page 29 you should find that the Parishes of Killinaboy and Rath are spread over pages 29-31. Data are provided by townland for 1851 and 1841 for comparison.
Note that the navigation page number does not quite coincide with the page number on the document.
You could go thru a similar process for further censuses. I suggest that you next look for the 1871 census, as 1861 is included for comparison, and so on.

I found these statistics most useful in gaining a feel for demographic changes during the 19th Century in one's particular townlands of interest, especially following the famine.

but the link is not working for me now. I’m getting the first page of Munster, and no more.

Sheila

murf

Re: 1851 census - Clare

Post by murf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi Sheila
I went back and followed the instructions and found that they still work fine.
When you get to the Munster cover page, then just above the page on the right you should see:
Page 1 of 379 [___] Go to Page
Put 29 in the empty box and click on Go to Page.
That should take you to page 29 and Killinaboy Parish. If you want other Parishes you will need to scrummage around in those first 50 pages.
Thanks for reminding me about those instructions. I should put them away in a safe place.
murf

Sduddy

Re: 1851 census - Clare

Post by Sduddy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 am

Hi Murf

Thank you very much for that help.

Sheila