Keane in Creegh

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

jkane13

Keane in Creegh

Post by jkane13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:28 pm

I have been trying to trace my family and am stuck in Co Clare. I am making the jump that Kane was the Americanized spelling of Keane.

My GGGrandfathrs Obituary said he was from Co Clare and the parish of Kree. After talking to a few people, I think it must be the Parish of Kilmacduane and the Townland of Creegh. The 1825 Tithe Appointments has a Patrick Keane and the 1855 Griffiths has a Thomas Keane. That didn't help me much. I don't have the names of any of his siblings. :( There does not appear to be any more Keane's in that area per the later documents in the online library. I wonder if they died out, or moved?

Here is a link to my family tree as I know it.
http://www.kane1.com/cgi-bin/geneweb?b= ... v=Kane;t=A

Thomas Michael Kane 15 Feb 1830 - 22 Apr 1908
Left Ireland at 18 which should be about 1848.
- Jeff

miriam scahill

Re: Keane in Creegh

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Hello Jeff - Keane is a very common name in Co.Clare- so we will keep to the parish of Kilmacduane. First of all Log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie and open Genealogy - then go to bottom right hand side of page -Research Material and click on Parish index - then select Kilmacduane.. You will see all the townlands in the Parish ; You will have an amount of docs. to look at - even a Patrick Keane was a hedgeschool master.!! Also look at photos of Kilmacduane and you will see Cree Church was opened in 1834 - a few years after your GGGrandfather was born. Parish of Kilmacduane has two villages and so two Churches - St. Senan's at Cooraclare is the main parish church and St. Mary's at Cree would have parishioners from the townlands around the village. (I wouldn't know the breakdown - but Caherfeenich and Ballynagun and Cloghanmore are in Cree Parish.)
I wil give you the following references for the Census of 1901 in which there are Keane families living - all in Cree Parish ::
Caherfeenick South - Ref 83/10; Ballynagun West - Ref. 84/3 and Cloghanmore East - ref. 82/15. Keanes are also in Carrowmore which is in Doonbeg (Killard parish) but nearer to Cree - Ref 83/2. log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - genealogy.
Griffith Vals. of 1852 shows Cornelius Keane at Caherfeenick; John & Patrick Keane at Ballynagun nd Thomas Keane at Creegh South. The village of Cree is also in Cree South - Ref. 82/11. The Tithes of 1824 shows Patrick Keane at Creegh Beg and John at Ballynagun.
I will leave it to yourself to browse the Census of 1911 - but there are still Keanes living at Ballynagun and Caherfeenick.
Doonbeg Golf course is situated at Caherfeenick.
The name Coyne is from the name - I think in Irish language it is O Cathain. ( letter t would be silent)
God Bless, Miriam.

jkane13

Post by jkane13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 pm

So, "Kree Parish" would refer to the church kind of parish, not the governmental unit that is a part of a county? What is the difference between a Parish Kilmacduane and Cree Parish?

Am I mistaken to say the Kree (from an obituary), Cree (from a roadside picture my uncle took when he visited there, and your use of the name), and Creegh (the spelling in both Griffiths and the Tithes) are the same place?

The two names I got were from doing what you suggested. Going to that web page and searching by the "Parish" of Kilmacduane. I tried not to go farther out into the surrounding area past Creegh/Cree thinking they would maybe have some family home/land that someone was still living at. I guess you are saying that they may have moved nearby and still live in the area versus far away or only had female children.

Looking at my own branch, there is a strong repeat of men never having children, or only having a couple of boys. Even in the next generation, there appears to only be 2 boys who may pass on the Kane name out of all of my family! (I say "appears" because there are others who "could", but are not married and have no intentions of doing so, or are but have no kids.)
- Jeff

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi - I am after deleting my message twice - so third time lucky.!!
First - some years ago it was decided to drop 'silent' letters from words to simplify the Irish language - so Creegh became Cree!! - Kree is what it sounds - as the letter 'c' has various pronounciations - e. g care, cease, circle, etc.
In the 1840's - when Thomas left Ireland - the people only spoke Irish and so what was heard is what was written.
Go to the Research Material again and first open Townland Index - to see history of same - you might call a townland a neighbourhood.!!
Then open Parish Index to get details of parishes. Enlarge the map on right and look at No. 55 - Kilmacduane Parish - a small area. As I said it is two Churches - so you could describe them as sub parishes. You are concerned with the top half of the Parish - Cree. I know many people from Cree - but they are from different 'neighbourhoods'!!

Now - go to Google Earth for Clare, Ireland. Find Kilrush at south west on River Shannon. Road No. 483 goes north from Kilrush - to Cooraclare and Cree. Cree is about 7 miles from Kilrush - Road No. N67 is off to the west and R 68 is to the east. North of the village of Cooraclare - Road No. 484 meets in with R 483 - and in this area is Ballynagun West - not very far from the village of Cree.
On the Census of 1901 it is in DED (District Elect. Division) of Dromelihy - Ref. 84/3 - rivers and roads decided boundaries.
Census of 1911 is available on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - put in Keane and change 'all counties' to Clare and then put in Dromellihy in DED and you will find Keane Family - James is 72 - so born c 1839 - and could be a brother to Thomas.!! There are still Keanes in this area.
Census of 1911 has almost 1300 Keanes in Clare - but you have narrowed it down to Cree area.!!
I see on docs. on Kilmacduane Parish - Topogaphy of Clare - Irish placenames - that Creegh means a market. A different spelling - croi - means heart - to you could say that Thomas came from the heart of Clare.!!
Miriam