LAFFERTY FAMILY CRONAGORT KILLIAN CLARE

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

rryan

LAFFERTY FAMILY CRONAGORT KILLIAN CLARE

Post by rryan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 am

Looking for information on my LAFFERTY family from Cronagort Clare .
Hannah Lafferty b 1847 daughter of Patrick b 1820 & unknown . Hannah married Patrick O'Donnell 1874 Ennistimon he was the son of John O'Donnell & Eliza Driscoll .
I believe Hannah had 2 siblings Catherine & Edmond/Edmund.
I can't find anything out on this elusive Lafferty family.
I was given the name of Gerry Lafferty who lives in London but still has family farm at Cronagort , I believe its next to or close to TRILLDOON B & B IN CRONAGORT DOOLIN I'm not sure if he is related but i'm told so. I did write :P to him but have not rec'd a reply.
Last yr he sadly lost his wife Bridget. If anyone knows anything on the Lafferty family please get in touch with me.
Thanks Rae Warwick Qld

Sduddy

Re: LAFFERTY FAMILY CRONAGORT KILLIAN CLARE

Post by Sduddy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Rae

The 1901 census (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie ) shows just one family of Laffertys living in Cronagort East - that of Edward Lafferty. There’s a mix-up in the ages of the householders: Edward should be aged 50 - not aged 70; his mother, Bridget, should be aged 70 - not aged 50. Edward’s wife is Jane, aged 38. He and Jane (Flanagan) had married in 1891 (http://www.irishgenealogy.ie - look under Ennistymon). The record of the marriage names Edward’s father as Morgan Lafferty (dead).

Edward died in 1904 aged 53, so was born about 1850. At that time, the townland of Cronagort lay in the parish of Lisdoonvarna. Unfortunately, the Lisdoonvarna register of baptisms starts at 1854, so Edward’s baptism is not recorded. But the baptisms of two other children of Morgan Lafferty and Bridget Burns are recorded: Michael baptised 26.09.1854 and Catherine baptised 03.11.1856. According to those baptism records, Morgan and his wife, Bridget, are the only Laffertys in Cronagort, but there is another family of Laffertys living in Roadford, which is in the same parish, i.e. Edmund/Edward and his wife, Mary Grady. Four baptisms are recorded for that couple, but they probably had more children born to them before 1854.
Griffith’s Valuation (1856) shows Morgan Lafferty leasing land (Lot 4) in Cronagort, East. He is the only Laferty who is listed as leasing land in that townland. Griffith’s Valuation shows Edward Laferty leasing land in Teergonean, village of Roadford. The Patrick Laferty, who was the father of Hannah (according to the record of her marriage in 1874), is not listed in Griffith’s Valuation, but it’s possible, nevertheless, that he was living in Cronagort – if he was a brother of Morgan, he might have been helping with the work on Morgan’s farm, rather than leasing land for himself. Patrick does not appear in the baptisms either, but it’s possible that his family was already completed by 1854.

The 1901 census shows two Lafferty families living in Teergoneen: (1) Michael aged 50 and his wife Anne (O’Connell/Connell) and several children, and (2) Mary Lafferty, aged 72, a widow, and four of her children. This Mary must be Mary Grady (wife of Edward). I failed to find a marriage record for Michael (which would have given his father’s name), but I strongly suspect that he is a son of Edward and Mary and that he had moved to another house nearby when he’d married Anne Connell.

In short, I don’t see any descendants of Pat Lafferty in the parish of Killilagh. Now, I am not forgetting that Hannah Lafferty who married Pat O’Donnell in 1874, is from Cronagort, and so her father, Pat Lafferty, a farmer, was most likely living in Cronagort, but it may be that a son of his moved to another parish nearby, for instance, to Inagh parish. Griffith’s Valuation shows a number of Laffertys in Inagh, but not a Pat Lafferty*, yet the marriage records for Ennistymon Union show the marriage of a John Lafferty, of Letterkelly, Inagh, whose father is Pat Lafferty: 17.02.1872: John Lafferty, Farmer, Letterkelly, son of Pat Lafferty, Farmer, married Mary Crawford, Clahanmore, daughter of James Crawford, Farmer, in Miltown Malbay church; witnesses; Patt Lafferty, Bridget Egan.
*again, we must allow that there may have been a Pat Lafferty living in Inagh who was not actually leasing land at the time of Griffith’s Valuation.

The Parish of Inagh – Kilnamora baptism register shows the baptisms of three children to John and Mary: Patrick on 18.03.1873; Martin on 04.12.1876; Mary on 17.08.1879. The civil records show that another child, John, was born 06.03.1883. John (Senior) died in Letterkelly in 1896, aged 65; his son Patrick reported the death. The 1901 census shows a Mary Lafferty, who is a widow, aged 50. I think this must be Mary Crawford. She has two sons living with her: Patrick and John. The 1911 census states that Mary had four children born to her of whom 3 are alive. Civil records show the marriages of Patrick (1913) and John Lafferty (1922), but I found no records for Martin, or for Mary.

I think the Laffertys in the parishes of Killilagh, Kilmoon, and Inagh may be related to each other (for instance, a Morgan Lafferty was born to Michael Lafferty and Elizabeth Moylan in Kilmoon in 1886). Instead of confining yourself to the Laffertys who are now living in Cronagort, I think you should consider other Lafferty families in that general area.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 am

Well, I neglected to look at the Tithe Applotment books: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... b/home.jsp. And now I see that there was a Patt Lafferty living in Letterkelly in the early part of the 19th century: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00331.pdf. So, most likely, the John Lafferty, Letterkelly, who married to Mary Crawford in 1872, was a son of this Patt. We know that John died in 1896, aged 65, and therefore born about 1830, which fits well with his being a son of Patt. So, in short, I no longer think that John Lafferty, Letterkelly, Inagh, was a son of Pat Lafferty, Cronagort.

By the way, when searching “Lafferty”, search also for “Laferty”.

As for the Laffertys in Kilmoon, they are just one family: Michael Lafferty (aged 47 in 1901) and his wife Elizabeth Moylan and their children. I strongly suspect that this Michael is the son of Morgan Lafferty and Bridget Burns who was born in Cronagort in 1854 (Lisdoonvarna baptisms). Michael married Elizabeth in the 1880s, and I think it is very likely that he “married in”. A son was born in 1886, and was named Morgan. This child does not seem to have survived childhood – I don’t see him in the 1901 census. The 1911 census shows that one of their children is called Kathleen. In 1901 she is absent from the household and is staying with her Maher relatives in Carnane, Killilagh (Catleen Lafferty). I haven’t tried to figure out how they are related.

Anyway, I have failed to get you any further information on the descendants of Pat Lafferty of Cronagort. His daughter, Hannah, living in Moymore North, with her husband, Patrick O’Donnell, and their children, seems to be the only descendant of Pat remaining in that general area. One of the witnesses at her marriage is a Norah Lafferty, who might be a sister of Hannah, but I can find no further record for Norah. There’s a Honora Lafferty who married James O’Grady the following year (1875), but her address is Roadford, and her father is Edmond, so not she is not a sister of Hannah.
According to the 1911 census, Hannah and Patrick O’Donnell had 14 children, 10 of whom were still alive in 1911. James, aged 29, and Manus, aged 35, are still living at home in 1911. Manus did not marry. He died in Moymore in 1950, aged 73. His death was reported by his nephew, James O’Donnell, Moymore.

Sheila

rryan

Post by rryan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 am

Thanks Sheila for finding out what you have . It's been a great help. I have noticed a few trees on Ancestry have a Morgan Howard Lafferty born to parents Morgan & Honor Sheirr coming to Nsw Aust. He was the husband of Bridget Byrnes . I don't have a death for Bridget Lafferty nee Byrnes as yet. I have added it to my tree at this time until I can substantiate if it's correct. I'm not really sure it's the same person unless I get the death cert.
Rae