Tithe Applotment - Moynoe Parish - Where is Callahans Land

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

alexander993

Tithe Applotment - Moynoe Parish - Where is Callahans Land

Post by alexander993 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 am

Hi,
There is a townland listed in TA for Moynoe Parish called "Callahans/Callaghan Land". I can't find it in Griffiths and wondering if someone might know exactly where this area was/is or the area it may have been subsumed into. It's the Bush surname I'm interested in too.
Many thanks,
Christine.

Sduddy

Re: Tithe Applotment - Moynoe Parish - Where is Callahans La

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:27 am

Hi Christine

Yes I see the entries for Thomas Bush and Michael Bush, Callahans Land: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00261.pdf
And I see that there are no Bushes in Moynoe in Griffith’s Valuation, so we can’t be sure which townland Callaghan’s Land became part of. My usual plan B is to note the names of the neighbours, and check where they are in Griffith’s, but that’s of no help on this occasion, because the Flanagans are the only neighbours in Callahan’s Land and they are not in Griffith’s either.
But, looking at the Tithes Book, I see that Callaghan’s Land is entered between Carhumore (Carrowmore in Griffith’s) and Meenrus (Meenross). So I suspect that it was subsumed into one of those townlands - both in the south of the parish: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm

Looking at the Bush/Bushe name in the GenMap: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/maps/index.htm I see that there are Bushes in Aughinish, Ogonnolloe parish, both in Griffith’s and in 1901. There were no Bushes there at the time of Tithes. I wonder if the Bushes in Moynoe moved to Ogonnelloe.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 am

Yes, the TA used some archaic land references. I wish I could just upload a book page describing the O'Callaghan family's history in East Clare, but that capacity has been eliminated. From that page (the book is so old in my files that no title and author is saved for it), there is this description: "The O'Callaghan Lands were situated within a triangle formed between Bodyke to the east, Tulla to the west, and Kilkishen to the south." The chapter goes on to describe Mountallon House and Kilgorey House, which were the big houses of the O'Callaghan estate.

If you go to my donated database for the RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills (on the Library's website), you will find several Bush family members named in both marriages and baptisms. The men listed Cloncool and Callaghan's Mills for their residences. There is also a death register kept from about 1847 for this parish, but it is only available at the parish office. I quickly checked Sheila Duddy's donated RC records for Tulla Parish, and there are two entries both listing Liscullane. In 1906 a list of untenanted lands owned by John O'Callaghan in Boherglass included the townlands of Clonmoher, Drummod, Inchalughoge, Lisbarreen, and Ballydonaghan.

My family's area of East Clare was farther south of where all the Bush residences were listed, so that is the extent of what I have.

Just saw Sheila's reply, so I should add the the O'Callaghan's Mills Parish entries include one for a Bush at Ogonnelloe, mid 1800s.

Sharon Carberry
USA

alexander993

Post by alexander993 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Thank you both very much. Certainly given me something to work with.
Christine.