Hawkins family, Rylane, Clooney parish.

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Hawkins family, Rylane, Clooney parish.

Post by Sduddy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 am

This thread comes from a strand of threads arising from the on-going search for Thomas McNamara of Glendree, an American Civil War veteran: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6965. The surname Hawkins came up in the course of that search, and Sharon Carberry contributed an advertisement seeking the whereabouts of Thomas, Patrick and Timothy Hawkins, of Cluna, near Tulla:
Info wanted of Thomas, Patrick, and Timothy HAWKINS of Cluna, near Tulla, County Clare, Ireland; their father's name John Hawkins; mother's name Mary McMAHON. Thomas and Patrick were heard from about 45 or 50 years ago; Timothy was heard from 40 years ago and was then in Sydney, Australia. Info...received by Thomas Hawkins, Sedwig, Harvey County, Kansas.
4 Nov 1899 Irish World and American Industrial Liberator

Sharon Carberry also added the record of Timothy Hawkins’ passage on SS Emigrant from Pymouth to Moreton Bay Australia, which arrived on Aug. 08, 1850: Hawkins, Timothy 32 Farm Laborer County Clare Brother in Pt Phillip

I’ve decided to give this Hawkins family their own thread, so that researchers will find them more easily.

The Quin-Clooney parish baptism register 1816-1855 shows that Thomas, Patrick and Timothy were indeed three of the children of John Hawkins and Mary McMahon. They lived in the townland of Rylane in the parish of Clooney. The baptisms for that couple are: Patrick b. 1832, another son b. 1834, Mathew b. 1836, Thady b. 1838, Thomas b. 1839, Mary b. 1841, Honor b. 1844, Timothy b. 1847. There may have been more children whose baptisms were not recorded.
The baptism register shows that there were a number of Hawkins families living in Clooney parish at that time, but Griffith’s Valuation shows only two: Thomas Hawkins who lived in the townland of Derrycalliff, and John Hawkins who lived in the townland of Rylane. There are no Hawkins families living in Clooney by the time of the 1901 census. It’s possible that Mary, or Honor, or both are living in the area, but are married and go by their married names, but I do not see civil records of their marriages in http://www.irishgenealogy.ie, nor do I see any Hawkins marriage in the Clooney parish marriages 1855-1881. So it looks as if every single member of this family went away from Rylane.
The school closest to Rylane was Maghera school and there are 3 Hawkins children among the attendance there in 1899-1900: Joe Hawkins and Willie Hawkins, both new pupils in 1899. Joe is aged 5, and Willie is aged 4. Delia Hawkins enrolled in 1900, aged 4. A note after Delia’s name says, “Left the locality”: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... gister.htm. The 1901 census does not show these children, and I do not see the civil records of their births. They may not be from Rylane - they may belong to a Hawkins family in the townland of Tyredagh in the parish of Tulla – a Pat Hawkins of Tyreda Upper, son of Tom Hawkins, married Maria Hawkins nee Farny(?), widow, also of Tyreda Upper, daughter of William Farny(?), in Knockjames Chapel, on Feb. 14th 1885. That couple seems to have gone away - they are not in the 1901 census.

Sheila

smcarberry

Re: Hawkins family, Rylane, Clooney parish.

Post by smcarberry » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Let me add just a bit more Hawkins data, from the RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills, where there were no marriages involving a Hawkins.
However, Bridget Hawkins was the wife of Denis Meany, and their child Anne was baptised 6 March 1871, when their residence was Clonloum; sponsors were John Hawkins and Catherine Hawkins. 15 Nov 1872 was the baptism of their child Michael, with Anne Hawkins as sponsor. 2 July 1874 was the baptism of Mary, daughter of Martin Meany and Anne Hawkins, living Clonloum, same sponsors as in the 1871 baptism of Anne Meany. 20 Nov 1874, Denis & Bridget Meany's child Bridget had sponsors Pat Hawkins and Margaret Hawkins. 18 Jan 1877 Denis & Bridget's child Catherine had sponsors Patrick Hawkins and Catherine Hawkins. 4 Jan 1879 Denis & Bridget's child Margaret had sponsor Margaret Hawkins (parents' residence remained Clonloum).

My transcription of O'Calllaghan's Mills RC parish baptisms, on the Library website's genealogy/donations section, shows one or two entries of an obviously-mangled surname which I read as Hargins. Note that that could also stand for Harkins, a spelling variation in the parish for the surname Arkins.

Hope this helps someone's research.

Sharon C.