Six Co. Clare Fenians (I.R.B.) remembered by John Devoy

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

deirdre carroll

Re: Six Co. Clare Fenians (I.R.B.) remembered by John Devoy

Post by deirdre carroll » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello Sheila,

There was a Tierney family in Crusheen over a long period. See Thomas Coffey's book, pages 26, 36, 39. There were a number of movements associated with Crusheen in the 19th century and I am pretty sure I have come across the name Tierney. Probably worth checking,

Deirdre Carroll

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:55 am

Hi Deirdre,
thank you for that suggestion, but there were so many Tearney, Teerny, Tierny, Tierney families all over Clare (see Tithes: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... _index.htm. And Griffith’s: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ffitht.htm ), I think it would be impossible now to decide which one Patrick Tierney belonged to.
Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 am

Clare Journal, Mon 25 Apr 1870:
Cork Quarter Sessions, - Thursday. Charge of Having Arms.
John Walsh, who pleaded guilty at the present sessions to the charge of having in his possession a revolver at Qeenstown, was again put forward.
Charles Gilfoil Doran, superintendent of works at Queenstown, was produced to give evidence as to the prisoner’s character.
The witness stated that he knew the prisoner for the last eleven years and that he had been in his employment for the greater portion of that time. Witness had frequent opportuntities of judging his character, and considered him a quiet, inoffensive and well conducted young man, and had no reason to hold any other opinion of him.
Cross examined by Mr P O’Connell – He was not under your superintendence in ’67? Not during that time but I have a knowledge of where he was. Were you in Ennis? No, I was in Tralee at the time; I don’t mean to say he was under my superintendence for the last six years, but he has been for about six years out of eleven. Are you aware that the prisoner was in Ennis ? No. Are you under Mr Made? No; I am over him. Did you know that he was contractor at Ennis for the asylum and that the prisoner and his father were employed there? I heard that the prisoner’s father was foreman. Where were you in ’67? I was in Kerry and Dublin. How soon after that was it that the prisoner came under your observation? In about two years after that time. Are you aware of where he was? He was in Dublin for a portion of the time, at least I heard so. Where did you first see him after ’67? In Queenstown. Have you all Dublin men at Queenstown? I have no reason to know where they are from as it Mr Made has them employed. Is Mr Made here? I cannot say.
To the Chairman – The prisoner’s father is employed by Mr Made as a general foreman.
Mr O’Connell – Is Mr Made in Queenstown at present?
One of his sons is acting for him.
How long before ’67 was it that the prisoner was under your observation? – I think somewhere about ’64 or ’65.
And from that time until ’69 when the works commenced at Queenstown, you had no knowledge of him?
I cannot say that I met him.
The Chairman, addressing Mr Joyce, said that the prisoner should be brought up again on the following morning, as Mr O’Connell had not got an answer to some inquiries regarding the prisoner.
He was accordingly put back, and will be again brought forward at ten o’clock this morning.
Mr P O’Connell, on the part of the Crown, produced documents showing that a warrant had been issued for the arrest of the prisoner, on the following charges: - Having with fourteen others (named and described in the same documents) on the 5th March 1867, at Drumcliff and Kilbaha, Co Clare, appeared in arms and attacking houses for arms; also for, on the same day, attacking the coastguard station at Kilbaha, wounding one coastguard and depriving him of his revolver; and further, for pressing others to join in those unlawful proceedings.
The Chairman, in passing sentence, said that the character of the prisoner’s father was irreproachable. The sentence he was to pass, after due reflection, would, he hoped make the prisoner mend his ways. He strongly disapproved of the difference he had met with the police, and the efforts he made at that time; but he thought these circumstances might account for his having had the revolver in his possession. On a review of the whole case, he felt that he could not in justice to the country, and having due regard to the character of the present times and the provisions of the recent Act of Parliament pass upon him a less sentence than nine months imprisonment, with hard labour.
The prisoner (leaving the dock) – There will be an exchange of prisoners before that time.
When being removed in a car to the County Gaol, he exclaimed “God save Ireland.”
Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:23 pm

Clare Journal, Mon 13 May 1872:
Death of an Ex-Fenian Prisoner. This (Monday) afternoon John Maguire, who, it will be remembered, was arrested and imprisoned in Ennis in ’67, and subsequently confined in Mountjoy, died at his uncle’s house in Mill-street, in this town. The deceased, who was in his twenty-fourth year, had but recently returned from America in ill health.
I think this John Maguire, who died in July 1872, might be the uncle mentioned in the notice above:
Clare Journal,Thur 18 Jul 1872:
On the 12th inst after a long fit of illness, Mr John Maguire, ironmonger, of this town, aged 58 years, deeply regretted by a numerous circle of friends. Through life he was respected by all who were acquainted with him. R.I.P.
Sheila