Kilrush Clare Relatives

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

bobkanary

Kilrush Clare Relatives

Post by bobkanary » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:23 am

I am back in the hunt for Clare relations. My wife and I will spend at least a night or two in Ennis before we hit the road.

I am looking at Kilrush as a possible area where my Keniry, McEniry, O'Brien, McNamara, O'Holloran, and Spellacy or Spellicy (etc... on all the names with variations of spelling), may be located.

In addition, I will be visiting Ireland, Clare starting November 2nd. If nothing else, I plan to enjoy some rest, the countyside, the food and pubs.

I have conducted DNA testing with Family Tree testing services. We will see if that turns up any clues.

I may be contacted at bobkanary@gmail.com

bobkanary

McInerney - Clare Relatives

Post by bobkanary » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:16 pm

By the way, someone by the name of Jeannie McInerney (I assume she was a relative) showed up my great uncle (Patrick J. Keniry [family changed name to Kanary upon arrival to USA in 1860 era]) funeral in Williamsport Pennsylvania on July 19, 1893 (he was born in 1865 in USA). So I have wondered if we are related to the Clare McInerney clan instead of / or as well as the McEniry clan (one genealogical site states that the two have distinct histories, McEniry being rooted more in Limerick and McInerney rooted more in Clare). I do retain a note from my father linking us to Clare and the Shannon Estuary or river... Dad thought it was "Kildare" but since that is near Dublin, I think it is probably Kilrush or Kilkee or etc... "Kil" in Clare is the link.
Bob Kanary in Oklahoma... bobkanary@gmail.com

miriam scahill

Re: Kilrush Clare Relatives

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Hello Bob - Looking at the Census of 1901 I see most of the Kenirys in Co. Clare are in the Doonbeg, Cooraclare and West Clare area. Log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - and open GENEALOGY - then check Census of 1901 under Surname index - starting with Kenery to Keniry - there are two ladies in their 80's.!! - so born in 1820's. !! You can also see Census of 1911 on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - just enter Keniry and select Clare for county. There are many, many McInerney families in the county, some Spellacys - with a Spellacy family evicted in Kilrush area in 1888 - book by Noel Mulqueen called Vandeleur Evictions in Kilrush shows Spellacy family living in Railway Carriage after being evicted. -
It is poss. to get a print out of Baptismal Records from Parish Priest of the parishes involved - Killard (Doonbeg), Kilmacduane (Cooraclare) etc. - up to 1900.
Miriam.

bobkanary

Post by bobkanary » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:26 am

Thank you Mariam for you gracious help.
Bob Keniry

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi Bob - just after my last posting I was reading local paper 'Clare Champion' and there is an Anniversary Notice for Agnes Keniry from Kilbaha, Co. Clare (3rd Anniv. & photo in paper on October 9). Kilbaha is a village on the very western side of Clare - 'the nearest to America'!! - and just before Loop Head on the edge of the atlantic ocean. It is in parish of Killballyowen. Log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie and open Genealolgy. At bottom right hand side of page there is 'Research Material' and open Parish Records. Then select Kilballyowen - and you will have a list of docs. - from Tithes of 1824 to Griffith Vals. of 1852/55 to Census of 1901 and also photos of area.
What was the most recent date for your Clare Relations?
The Church of the Little Ark, Kilbaha houses a little timber structure in which the local priest said Mass on the shoreline between tide marks - no man's land - in penal times to avoid eviction by the Landlord.
I think the parish office is at village of Cross - a few miles nearer to Kilkee. When you visit you could check there for a print out of the baptisms of all the Keniry families up to 1900. Doonbeg area which is in Parish of Killard might also have info for you.
Miriam.

bobkanary

Post by bobkanary » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Mariam,

As my dad, Raphael Patrick Kanary, would say, "You are the gem of the ocean!". I am thrilled to receive your help from Clare. You are so gracious to take the time to help. I will plan on making contacts --in person when we arrive in Clare on Nov. 3rd, if possible-- through your leads.

Sincerely,
Bob Kanary (Keniry)
USA

PS. For future reference, if you want to email me directly, please go to bobkanary@gmail.com

bobkanary

Post by bobkanary » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:32 am

Bob Kanary (Keniry) in Oklahoma City, USA

I want to thank Forum members who helped guide my brother Michael and myself in our genealogical searches, including Mariam S.(Ireland) and Sharon C. (USA), and staff at the Clare-Ennis Library. In the process we discovered two cousins here in the states with common ancestors (same great grandparents, O'Brien-Spellacy of Kilrush 1830s). Your assistance made this possible. One of these relatives did some on-the-ground searches of a couple of cemeteries in Pennsylvania. She found a gravestone near one of our family burial plots with the words "A native of Kilrush." We know we had relatives out on the peninsula or loop-head.

On another note, I did a search of FACEBOOK this week and came up with 25 users with the name Keniry. They appear for the most part to be under the age of 30. Most are from counties Clare, Cork and Waterford (in that order). I have made contact with one of these young people on FACEBOOK. I met him while visiting in Clare in Nov. 2009.

I would love to return to Clare and our native Ireland some day. Perhaps we shall! In the meantime, I follow political events in the EU and how this may affect our native country. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.