Inquiring about Ejectment Books 1835 - 1850

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Inquiring about Ejectment Books 1835 - 1850

Post by Sduddy » Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am

In March 2012, Nicola Jennings donated to Clare Library the names mentioned in the Ejectments Books for County Clare 1816-1835: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 6_1835.htm. This donation, which must have entailed a lot of work, has proved a great source of information (prior to that I did not know of the existence of the Ejectment Books).
That year also, an article by her on the same subject was published in The Other Clare, Vol. 36, in which she explains that, while the complete run of books has not survived, those that have go right up to 1850 (Jan. 1843 to Oct. 1843 is missing).
She says, ‘A list of the Ejectment Books which survive can be found in the Crown and Peace Office Records in the National Archives in Bishop Street, Dublin. The Ejectment Books are housed in the Four Courts, Inns Quay, Dublin 7, but are accessed through the National Archives in Bishop Street and should be requested in advance. Seventeen early Ejectiment Books exist for County Clare, from 1816 to 1850.’

I am wondering if the names mentioned in the books 1835 -1850 have become available anywhere online?

Sheila

smcarberry

Re: Inquiring about Ejectment Books 1835 - 1850

Post by smcarberry » Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 am

Sheila, to answer your specific question: I don't know of an online source for Clare ejectment records in the years 1835-50.

I am providing a master list of Clare materials which I typed up upon request and posted on the old Rootsweb Clare mailing list, after a visit to the National Archives in Dublin to inventory what its Clare resources were as of that date. My list doesn't have the date on it, and my research trips have been frequent enough that I don't recall the year off the top of my head. It might have been as early as 1998; the Rootsweb posting will state it. The reading room at NAI has been re-arranged since that time, so the physical location of specific material is likely different. This pdf file refers to some LDS films, at the end.

As you will see, NAI has Clare ejectment books beyond 1850. On that same early visit, I transcribed some of the pre-1835 ejectments and donated those to the Clare County Library, where they were the sole online source until Nicola Jennings spent what must have been months doing her transcription of a much larger portion of the records. I agree that her donation is a great resource, and kudos to the Library for hosting it.

Sharon Carberry
Attachments
Clare accessible materials, mostly NAI.pdf
(732 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

Sduddy

Re: Inquiring about Ejectment Books 1835 - 1850

Post by Sduddy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:53 am

Hi Sharon

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to make that list of what's available for Clare and for posting it here. Yes, I see that the Ejectment Books go beyond 1850.

Sheila