Irish admissions, NYC almshouse 1845-47

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Irish admissions, NYC almshouse 1845-47

Post by smcarberry » Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Newly online, a version of an existing database is now at this link:
https://www.connorsgenealogy.com/nyc/NYCAlmshouse.htm

These admissions were done in great detail when the information was available, so there is data here you cannot find elsewhere. Occupations, illnesses, migration travel, etc. can be on a record; there is also an attempt to note children with a parent and to list a ship's name. However, the original database (the effort of a NYC group with several transcribers) also contains confusing references to NYC officials, so that is what I edited out in the version I produced and donated to Pat Connors, who worked hard to get a software format to work with her website. The result is streamlined text but no search feature. You can sort through the list by using your browser's "Find" feature and remember to use several versions of a surname. There are no Irish locations named, but these are all Irish immigrants.

There are over 9500 admissions, which, despite the title of the original database, actually end with 31 Dec 1847. No one seemed to know that the original database existed although it's been online for years. There is copyright claimed, and my version on the Connors website complies with licensing.

Hope this can be of help,
Sharon Carberry