Fenian Toohey, 150th NY Inf, Shawangunk resident 1870s

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Fenian Toohey, 150th NY Inf, Shawangunk resident 1870s

Post by smcarberry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:52 pm

While reviewing my Toohey material, I saw I have this biographical article that may be of interest for the earlier posting on a McMahon who had visited the Shawangunk area during his Civil War service. Screenshots of the article are a bit disjointed, but it's all there. I also have brief army records for both of the Patrick Tooheys who served in the U.S. Civil War from the Hudson Valley - this infantry man from the west side of the Hudson River and also a cavalry fellow from the east side of the river. They really must be distinct individuals.

Sharon Carberry
Toohey, Ulster Co. pt 1.jpg
Toohey, Ulster Co. pt 1.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
Toohey, Ulster Co NY pts 2, 4.jpg
Toohey, Ulster Co NY pts 2, 4.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
Toohey, Ulster Co NY pt 3.jpg
Toohey, Ulster Co NY pt 3.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 8337 times

Sduddy

Re: Fenian Toohey, 150th NY Inf, Shawangunk resident 1870s

Post by Sduddy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi Sharon

Thanks for that interesting news item containing a complete readymade family tree - quite apart from anything else. I know that you mean it to connect with some McMahon information already posted, but I wanted to see if I could find any trace of Patrick Tuohy’s people. I found the baptism of Darby Tuohy in the Scarriff baptisms in September 1853, a son to Daniel Tuohy and Mary Nunan. Although Darby is not listed as one of the children of Daniel and Mary, it seemed a good fit. But the address is Gortaderry and there is no Tuohy in Gortaderry in Griffith’s or in the 1901 census.

Going on the dates mentioned in the piece, it seems to have been published in the late eighties, and, Daniel Junior being mentioned as still farming in Ireland, I thought I would find him in the 1901 census, but haven’t found him. Maybe I did not look carefully enough.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi Sharon

You mention two Patrick Tooheys, but the above attachments apply to just one.
Now I notice that one of the biographies in Clare Journeys in America by John Flynn and Jerry Kelleher (published by High Table Publishing in 2004) is that of a Patrick Tuohy who was born in Feakle in 1842:
“ Patrick Leonard Tuohy was born in Feakle on 15th March, 1842. In 1860, he went with his brother to New York City. Captain Tuohy, as he was later familiarly known, served in the Union army in the Civil War, in which he was captured and reputedly confined in the Confederacy’s notorious Andersonville prison.” The story goes on to his escape “with the assistance of a Southern guard who had been a schoolmate of his back in Clare”, and then on to his setting up of a cornershop in Chicago and to his marriage to Catherine Rogers. Then it digresses to Catherine’s father, Philip Rogers, and his story. Then it digresses to the story of the Mayor of Chicago, Carter Henry Harrison – the connection being that Patrick Tuohy was in the company of Harrison when the latter was assassinated (1893). Then it comes back to Patrick and his part in the political life of Chicago. And finally to the painting of his portrait by Arthur Feudel. He died in 1911 leaving an estate worth one million dollars to Catherine.
There’s more information on the children of Patrick L. Tuohy in this piece: http://tuohysoftheworld.blogspot.com/20 ... -name.html

I am wondering if your other Patrick Tuohy is this man.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Sheila,

Ah, you have touched a sore spot with this. I haven't reached a satisfactory conclusion in my prior research to reconcile P.L. Tuohy's descendant's postings with what I have found to date on her line in terms of Civil War Service. Here is what the descendant has posted about her Patrick, then a biography (that may have bad info) and the service listing that she believes applies to her family's pair of brothers Patrick and Michael, both of whom lived in NY briefly but settled in Chicago, together with the death articles I have for those two (she has confirmed Michael's as right):

“...[M]y GGF was Patrick Leonard Touhy (son of Unknown Touhy and Miss Leonard of Feakle) and apparently he had at least a brother Michael... and also a sister Bridget Touhy who married John Lyons. Pat, Mike & Bridget are all buried in Calvary cemetery, Evanston, Illinois. Here's a link to some outdated info I posted on P.L.: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /Touhy.htm “
also posted:
brothers Michael b. abt 1837 and John W. b. abt 1841. Pat and Mike were in the Civil War.

Per descendant, but conflicting with timeline in P.L.'s bio --
“1864 - Patrick Leonard TOUHY enlists Sept 10, 1864 as a private in Company A, 10th Regiment, New York Cavalry at Poughkeepsie, NY, is wounded while on picket near Prince George County, West Virginia Nov 20, 1864, and is discharged...Enlistment papers describe him as a farmer born in Ireland, age 21 years, height 5' 5", eyes black, hair dark, fair complexion.”

See screenshots for Patrick and Michael in the 10th Cavalry. Michael mustered out 19 July 1864, per
database at http://www.archives.nysed.gov/a/researc ... ntro.shtml

I am showing a NY enlistment for a Patrick b.c. 1843, discharged in 1863, in time to fit the Chicago bio but since his unit was the 124th Infantry, he is the Patrick who lived out his life in the Shawangunks NY, whose bio started this thread. Nothing on a Michael in the same unit (although that Patrick did have a brother Michael per the bio). Note that Calvary Cemetery used by Chicagoans has a Civil War roll of honor, listing this Michael:
Tuohy, Michael 69th NY Co. C, Sgt; lot 2, Block 25, Sec C
http://www.genealogycenter.info/militar ... isplay=166

1865, Sept 15 - Patrick Leonard TOUHY and Catherine Camilla ROGERS are married.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... y/data.htm

Patrick Leonard Touhy born Feakle, Co. Clare abt 1839 died Chicago 1911 &
Catherine Camilla Rogers born Ridgeville (Evanston), Cook Co., IL abt 1843 died Chicago 1916
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /Touhy.htm

P. L. TOUHY was born in Feakle, county of Clare, Ireland, March 15, 1842. In 1860 he came with his brother to New York City and engaged in the carpet business with Hiram Antterson, with whom he remained up to 1864, when he came to Chicago and first opened a grocery at the corner of Market and Illinois streets. He then formed a copartnership with Alexander Henderson and P.M. Rogers, as the firm of Touhy, Henderson & Co., which continued up to 1867, when be came to Rogers Park. Mr. Touhy is the founder of Rogers Park, having surveyed and laid out the plat of the village. In 1869 he built his present fine residence, which was completed in 1870. In 1870 he sold an interest in Rogers Park to S. P. Lunt, L. L. Greenleap, C. H. Morse and A. B. Jackson, who formed the Rogers Park Building Association, with S. P. Lunt as trustee. The only members of that organization who retain any interest in the partnership are P. L. Touhy and C. H. Morse. Mr. Touhy is also interested in the North Side dry goods store of J. W. Touhy & Co., which was opened September 15, 1883. He has been Trustee of the village since its organization and school director for three terms. He was married to Miss Catharine C. Rogers September 15, 1865, daughter of Philip Rogers, after whom the village of Rogers Park was named. Mr. Rogers settled in Chicago in 1836, and in 1844 came to Rogers Park and purchased at Government sale the land now laid out as Rogers Park. He died in 1856, leaving two children--Philip M. and Mrs. Touhy. Mr. Touhy and wife have seven children--Mary B., Edmund R., Stephen G., Catharine, Patrick J., Alice and Grace. ["Biographical Sketches Of Rogers Park". Andreas, A. T. History of Cook County, Illinois: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time, Chicago, IL: A. T. Andreas, 1884 Transcribed by Debbie Woolard]
http://genealogytrails.com/ill/cook/chicagobios4.html

Chicago Tribune - October 18, 1911, Founder of Rogers Park Found Dead in His Bed
Patrick Touhy, 72 Years Old, Was Chum of Elder Harrison, Widow is Worth $1,000,000 - Patrick Touhy, 72 years old, founder of Rogers Park, was found dead in his home, 7051 N. Clark St, yesterday. A coroner's jury decided the cause was heart disease. Touhy and his wife separated fifteen years ago by mutual agreement. Mrs. Touhy has been at the residence of S. Rogers Touhy. Her husband was living alone...
S. Rogers Touhy, a son, lives at 7101 N. Clark St. and is in the real estate business at 118 N. LaSalle Street. A daughter is the wife of Archibald A. McKinley. Other children are Mrs. Addison Blakely, Mrs. Catherine Cullen, Joseph W. Touhy (is this Patrick J)? and Miss Grace C. Touhy. The funeral will be held at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning from St. Jerome's Roman Catholic Church.
http://tuohysoftheworld.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html

Chicago Tribune 12 Dec 1880
Funeral of Michale TOUHY, formerly of Feckle, County Clare, Ireland (brother to P.L. Touhy, Rogers Park) on Thursday...from 208 Sherman st, to St. Mary's Catholic Church; thence...to Calvary [cemetery]. Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, and Irish papers please copy.

There is no confirmation that Patrick Toohey (of any surname spelling) was ever at Andersonville Prison. That location has been of enormous interest to Civil War historians, professional and amateur, for many years, after my father-in-law published the first definitive work on the evil man who ran the place and was later hung for his misdeeds. The prisoner roll has only this Tuohy:
Andersonville federal records of prisoners: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/andDetailp.cfm
John Tuohy
Regiment 19 [Infantry] Company B State United States Rank Private
Held at Andersonville and survived
Capture Date Unknown Capture Site Unknown Exchanged April 1, 1865

I have notes on other members of this Tuohy family in Chicago, if needed.

My interest in Patrick Tuohy:
Enlistment (see screenshot), starting in Co. F, transferred to Co. I:
Twohey, Patrick. — Age, 28 years. [b.c. 1834] August 21, 1862, at New York City; private, Co. F, 145th N. Y. Volunteers; wounded in action, June 22, 1864, at Culp's Farm, Ga.

The federal online Soldiers and Sailors System has a unit history showing that men of the 145th transferred into other units, including the 150th:
“145 NY Inf served in WVA but the regiment disbanded December 9, 1863, and men transferred to 107th, 123rd and 150th New York Infantry.”

Note, this Patrick of the 145th transferred to the 150th, and there was also a John in that unit (screenshot). I have not read more by locating this:
Bartlett, Edward O. The "Dutchess County Regiment": (150th Regiment of New York State Volunteer Infantry) in the Civil War, its story as told by its members p. 470
Danbury, Conn.: Danbury Medical Print. Co., 1907

Linking a Brooklyn Patrick to Clare --
Diocese of Brooklyn (NY) dispensation, from Joseph Silinonte book: Patrick Tuhey, b. Clare, residing Harrison & Hick. parents: Michael Tuhey, Johanna Connell married 21 Jul 1866 to Bridget McMahon, b. Westmeath, residing Varandah Place, parent: Patrick McMahon
Church: St. Peter, now St. Peter-St. Paul-Our Lady of Pilar, 234 Congress St.

Using a Killuran Patrick's baptism to lay basis for being the Brooklyn Patrick (if I could locate censuses)--
O'Callaghan Mills Parish baptism (Johanna a possible sister of my Ann Connell Donnellan)
Patrick b. 10 Feb 1835 to Michael Touhey & Johanna Connell, residing in Silvergrove, a townland of Killuran. Sponsors Nancy & John McNamara.

I also have notes on the Ulster Co. NY and Ontario County brothers Michael and Patrick Tuohy (two different pairs, born in different decades) linked to Clare by contemporaneous records. Specifically, the Ontario Co. brothers lived in Canandaigua, which also had this Clare man:
"Foster included a transcription of correspondence he had from the Rev. Edmund O'Connor, formerly of Tulla, County Clare, now parish priest based at St. Mary's Church, Canandaigua, 'the most beautiful village in the state of New York'."
approx Mar 1857
letter text shown
http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/1857_ ... _story.htm

Also, here is the complete family of the Patrick of the 124th:
1880 District 1, Shawangunk, Ulster, New York
Tooey
Patrick 36 IRE Farmer [b.c. 1846]
Mary A. 32 NY
Mary E. 12 NY
Katy 10 NY
Daniel 8 NY
John P. 6 NY
Frances 4 NY
Chas. 2 NY

Plenty of meat to chew on with all of those. Have fun.
Sharon
Patk, Orange Co enlisted, Ulster Co. man.jpg
Patk, Orange Co enlisted, Ulster Co. man.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
Pat., Mike, 10 NYCav.jpg
Pat., Mike, 10 NYCav.jpg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
Patk, 145th Inf.jpg
Patk, 145th Inf.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
John, 150th NY Inf, m.o.jpg
John, 150th NY Inf, m.o.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 7796 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Sharon

I see that you are well aquainted with Patrick Leonard Tuohy, b. abt 1840, and that you have been checking the records to find what evidence there is for parts of the biography sent to you by his greatgreatgrandchild. And I see that you've found no basis for the story about his imprisonment in Andersonville: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andersonv ... toric_Site,.
Then there’s another Patrick Tuohy, b. abt. 1834, who was aged 28 upon enlistment in 1862, and whose parents are Michael Tuhey and Johanna Connell – most likely the Michael and Johanna in the Killuran baptism register. He is of special interest to you as he may be connected to your O’Donnellan relatives.
Then there are brothers, Patrick and Michael Touhy, who lived in Canadaigua, Ontario, where Rev. Edmund O’Connor from Tulla, Co. Clare, was Parish Priest and took charge of the emigrants sent to him by Vere Foster - thanks, by the way, for the link to that interesting letter. These and two other Tuohy brothers, also called Patrick and Michael, who lived in Ulster Co., New York, were born in the mid-1830s (?).

And then there’s Patrick Tuohy of Shawangunk. He is the one I feel interested in, simply because I came upon one Scarriff record that matches his biography. In my first reply to you, I reckoned (wrongly) that the biography was published in the late 1880s but now I can see that it was published sometime after 1896 - it mentions the death of the mother on Dec. 04, 1892 (at age 44 – going on her aged in the 1880 census) and the re-election of Patrick to position of overseer of the poor in Gardiner township in 1896 (in the last paragraph). The biography, in the second paragraph, says that Patrick’s brother, Daniel, is farming in his native land, so he should be in the 1901 census, or else among the recently dead. But, of course, the biographer may have just assumed that he was still alive at the time of writing. I will have another look for him.

By the way, looking the attachments, I can see that Michael Tuohey and Patrick Tuohey, who enlisted in 1864 at Poughkeepsie, are probably Patrick Leonard Tuohey and his brother. And that Patrick Twohey of the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Infantry is Patrick of Shawangunk. But I can’t figure out where Patrick Tuohey aged 19, who enlisted in 1862 at Blooming Grove, fits in. Is he is yet another Patrick Tuohy?

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Sheila,

Actually I do agree that the Poughkeepsie enlistments are likely those of the Chicago pair of brothers, which is why I said that likely it is the bio that has bad info since the timelines are different about when P.L. would have started residing in IL. Never could find a good enough set of Chicago city directories or NY database info to really nail it down one way or another. So, I laid the Chicago end of it aside, years ago.

As to 19-year-old Patrick who entered with the 145th in Orange County NY, he is the later family man in Ulster Co. The Schawangunks are the extreme eastern edge of the Catskill Mountain Range; they form an escarpment rising sharply from the Hudson River Valley. This is vivid in my memory since I rappelled down that cliff face with a mountaineering club, in my youth.

I assume that I couldn't find more on Patrick b.c.1834/35 in NYC because he or his widow moved elsewhere. What I did find was
a Thomas Tuohy and his Civil War Service, showing that he made it back from the Battle of the Wilderness (fought just a half-hour's drive from where I currently live in Virginia) to his Brooklyn home to die the next month. His widow Ann nee Donnellan resided there without remarrying.

BTW, Patrick and Michael in Ontario County listed their Clare home in naturalization records, but the kind soul who viewed the county records in person for me could only read something that looked like "toureen."

SMC