TUOHY/TOOHY/TOOHEY family of Ennis,Dromore????

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

camellia14

Re: TUOHY/TOOHY/TOOHEY family of Ennis,Dromore????

Post by camellia14 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks for adding to this wonderful confusion that is setting in!!!!!I now have one evidence of parents of Cornelius Patrick Toohey and Ellen Minogue. Applying for a second record now. I had a brainstorm in the early hours thinking the 2 boys who travelled with Con to Australia were his brothers, one being a twin but after all the Tuohy names I'm wondering if they were 'cousins'. Con had twin boys in amongst his brood.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi Maxine. So you’ve got a record showing that parents of Cornelius Tuohy are Patrick Tuohy and Ellen Minogue. That’s good.

I looked at Patrick Minogue in Dromore in the 1911 census, and this states that he and his wife Mary have been married 21 years. So I checked the record of his marriage (Tuohy is spelled “Twohy”) and this shows that he married Mary Kenna* in St. Mary’s church, in Ogonnolloe parish, in 1890. Patrick’s address is just “Feakle” and his father is Con Tuohy.
*Mary Kenna is Mary McKenna in records of the births of their children.

Patrick is aged 54 in 1911, so he was born about 1857. There is no record of his birth because registration of births did not become law until 1864. And there’s no record of his baptism because the baptism records for Feakle Lower only begin at 1860.

I’m not sure how your Cornelius (born 1861) fits with all that. It’s possible that his father, Patrick, was a brother Con Tuohy (father of Patrick who is in Dromore in 1911). If that is the case, then your Cornelius was named after his uncle.

Sheila

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:54 am

Hi there
I've spent most of today going through more shipping records and found more Tuohyy/Twohy names arriving and notations about "relatives in colony" and some have parent's names and they are so very hard to read but I reckon they are more cousins. Boy do they wake me up at 3am! Still have to finalise location of course.
Cheers Maxine

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:46 am

Back again. Death transcription says Con's father as Patrick and mother Ellen Minogue, informant was eldest son and not always correct.
Marriage transcription which one feels is nearly alright being informed by the party concerned, lists father only as Cornelius and mother not listed! A Patrick T is listed as a witness to the marriage.These transcriptions are done by agents who I know very well and are very thorough and do not miss anything. I have once again contacted the church office to see if they would kindly hunt through the books and find the original for me, this could take a while, just might shows something up.

Papers received from a family member and belonging to that 1980s research show Con's mum Mary Fennessy and could well be the Mary in the 1901 and 1911 census which leaves me to believe t hat the 1901 Patrick is Con's brother! or another cousin
To add to confusion I went through the ship's passenger list and found an Ellen Toohey on the same ship as Con. So who is the Patrick, the witness?
Been through the baps for Feakle and cannot find anything for Con where to next??