TUOHY/TOOHY/TOOHEY family of Ennis,Dromore????

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

camellia14

TUOHY/TOOHY/TOOHEY family of Ennis,Dromore????

Post by camellia14 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 am

I'm a first time poster so bear with me please!
Research from 1980s, passed down through the family (here in Australia) no sources, no records only written doc. says Cornelius Toohey was born 3 Feb 1861 in Ennis Co. Clare parents Patrick Toohey and Ellen...? I need to prove this date and I am waiting to receive death certs of Cornelius and his wife Catherine with the hope they just might have a clue. Until then I have been trolling through all the wonderful records from the Clare Library and found many T. families in Feakle parish, one mentioning Dromore which is the name of the cottage the family lived in.
I had a look at the Feakle records a lovely person had downloaded but no mention of the T. name.
Can someone advise or head me in the right direction please.
3 Toohey boys emigrated to Australia in 1880, just stating Clare as birthplace.
Cheers

smcarberry

Re: TUOHY/TOOHY/TOOHEY family of Ennis,Dromore????

Post by smcarberry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am

You are on the right path, in trying to confirm what your brief written family history states. Likely you have an idea of whether this family back in Clare was Catholic or Church of Ireland. Don't exhaust yourself trying to get to every single parish record in Clare, hoping to find your needle in a haystack. Work backwards in time, starting with the most recent reliable document and keep adding documented events to that, further back in time. You might try the Trove newspaper database for your country, to see if there are more possible records, such as for military service (I found that mentioned in an obituary for another Clare-born man).

If you wish to view Ennis RC Parish baptisms, here's the link (although I saw none for a Cornelius Toohey/Tuohy 1859-1863:
http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

If you do want more on the Feakle group, I happen to keep a file of saved notes for them, including the Dromore family who sent at least one son to Brooklyn, New York. However, first you need to establish that Feakle is the right parish.

By the way, in addition to confirming a birth date, you also could keep a look out for whether the name he used later in life matches the one under which he was baptized. I have a note that a Hugh Michael Joseph Tuohy later dropped "Hugh" in later life, in Australia.

Good luck. Remember to check all usual variant spellings for the surname, and even "Foohey" when a transcription of handwritten records is involved.

Sharon Carberry
USA

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks Sharon,all your ideas are great. Interestingly enough one of Cornelius' sons was Michael Joseph! Will check out the Fou/oohey also. Still waiting for the D/C to come. I have his will, death and funeral notices from Trove and into Lands records at the moment. Dromore (cottage name) keeps saying to me - look there!
Maxine in Sydney,Australia

murf

Post by murf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 am

Hi camellia14
You don't mention the obituary of Cornelius on Trove. I notice that it specifically states that he was a native of Dromore, County Clare. I did a quick search for "cornelius toohey" including the inverted commas, and came up with three pages of articles. Much is to do with some trouble-maker in Broken Hill, but also a good deal of useful material on your Cornelius, including a report on a court case arising out of an accident in his dairy cart.
Regarding Dromore, in Griffiths Valuation there is a Cornelius Tuohy in the townland of Dromore in Feakle Parish.
Now obviously this too early to be your Cornelius, but it could for instance be his grandfather. Cornelius is not such a common name in Co Clare, comprising around 0.4% of the male population in the 1901 census. So "Cornelius Tuohy of Dromore" seems just too much of a coincidence not to be relevant.
There is a Tuohy family in Dromore in the 1901 census with HOF Patrick, age 40 which is consistent with him being a brother of your Cornelius.
Hope this helps.

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 am

I have read that obit in Trove and I have to admit I hadn't picked that up!!! Read it so many times you wouldn't believe! So it pays to go over and over stuff doesn't it? thanks for the push. I will look up the census as you mentioned and did wonder if the Griffith valn may have been grandad. Have the dairy incident, not sure about the Broken Hill bit though.
Thanks again.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm

I have been reading my Tuohy material, mostly families in the U.S., and I too saw that Cornelius is not a name used much among the Tuohy families of Clare. However, the name is used a lot as Cornelius, Connor, or Corney in the NE section of the county, such as in the RC parishes of Kilnoe and O'Callaghan's Mills (where a man of that name comes over from Killuran to participate in baptisms and weddings). In fact there was a marriage on 29 June 1851 of a Cornelius Tuohy of Pollanumra/Pollaghnumera (Feakle) to Anne Murphy of Killuran (also not in the parish).

I have to jump forward a half century to the Patrick Tuohy family of Dromore, Coolreagh, which is halfway between Annaghneal, Tulla and Feakle village. In both 1901 and 1911, Patrick has his mother Mary b.c. 1825 living with him. His marriage in 1890 took place in Ogonelloe for the sake of his bride, Mary McKenna (father Michael) of that place; the record states his father to be "Con Twohy" a farmer, no notations for anyone being deceased. The children's births are registered with the family's home as Dromore and Patrick being a farmer. I looked up the two who appear in ship records to the U.S.: Patrick b. 1893, whose voyage arrival in 1915 was crossed out (meaning he didn't board) when he was to go to his cousin Michael McMahon's house in Brooklyn. Note that "cousin" in this context may be a loose term, as Patrick Noonan in 1916 was going to this same Michael McMahon as his cousin too. I also haven't yet found an actual cousin relationship for Patrick Tuohy's younger sister Lillie who was noted to be going to her "cousin" Mary Lenihan in Philadelphia in 1916 (Lillie was born Ellen in 1895). Mary Lenihan was joined later by her actual sister Margaret, who in 1928 applied for citizenship. All the Lenihan info fits together well, and I track it because my Ann Connell Donnellan was likely the sister of Margaret Connell who married in 1837 to Denis Lenihan/Lanahan living on the same townland as the Philadelphia-bound girls.

It takes a while to collect and separate the numerous Tuohy men and women who left East Clare. This is as far as I can take it today. More later, I hope.

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks again, now being a keen map person are there any maps which can show me Annaghnea, Tula and Feakle? I found Dromore on the ord survey map not as a village just the name across the map and I have a map of Ireland so need to have a more detailed one of Clare to find those places, are they villages or what the nearest large town?like to put people in a spot.
I can see how Cornelius could be Con.
Maxine

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

There are countless maps on the Clare County Library site at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/maps/. They include excellent Search facilities. For example, go to http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... .86467Z9F1* and select Annaghneal under the townlands. You can also find Tulla (note spelling) and Feakle there.

Paddy

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 am

Hi Maxine

There’s a very clear satellite image of Dromore on http://www.clarelibrary.ie. Go to the Genealogy and Family History page and see Research Support. Click on townlands and on Dromore (Feakle) – that brings you to various bits of helpful information on Dromore including a Bing satellite image which shows you Dromore - plus the same image with an OS overlay, which gives you the outline of the Dromore townland. Note some features, ie. shape and size of the townland, plus the names of neighbouring townlands.

Then go to http://www.askaboutireland.ie and click on Griffith’s Valuation. For family name enter ‘Tuohy’; for first name enter ‘Cornelius’; for County select Clare. That’s enough to get Cornelius. Then go to “Original Page” which is the actual valuation as it was published in the 1850s. You will see that Cornelius is leasing plot No. 6 from the representatives of John Hogan. The letter ‘a’ in lower case refers to Cornelius’ own house. The letter ‘b’ refers to a cottier’s house on his land.
Now go to the ‘Map Views’ that accompanies the valuation. It will take a while to locate Dromore (but if you have noted features and surrounding townlands that should help). Then you will see that plot 6 is at the west side of the townland, right beside Lough Dromore. It is outlined in dark orange, as are all the plots (farms).

Another way to look at Dromore is to go to the Ordnance Survey public freeviewer: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer and keep moving the cursor and enlargeing until you get Dromore, as I have done here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,555551,683435,10,7. This map allows you to switch between the 6-inch 1842 map and the 1900 (roughly) 25-inch map. Possibly this is the map you have been looking at already.

Sheila

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for the map directions I've had one go at working it out but need more time and patience. Amazing how it all works but I will get there! So a challenge for the next few days.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:09 am

Hi Maxine

I forgot (when I was writing that) that the information on the townland of Dromore (Feakle), under Research Support on clarelibrary.ie includes a link to askaboutireland.ie, which brings you straight to Dromore in Griffiths – so you don’t need to search askaboutireland for Cornelius in the way that I described.

Dromore is in the Catholic parish Lower Feakle and the baptism records for that parish were transcribed and donated to clarelibrary by Jim McNamara in 2010: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... kle_rc.htm
I see that there’s a baptism on Jul. 26, 1869, for Henry Tuohy son of Con Tuohy and Mary Finnessy.
The parish records were collected and are held in the National Library of Ireland and are available to view there, or online: https://registers.nli.ie.
To check through the baptism records for Feakle Lower go to: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 1/mode/1up
Even though these baptisms have been transcribed, it’s always a good idea to check them for yourself.

It’s great that smcarberry has taken the trouble to file Tuohy material and is happy to share it - it saves you a pile of work.

Sheila

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks Sheila
Will look into that, not enough hours in the day!
Maxine

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am

Hi there everyone
A name has come to light that may be my Cornelius' parents. Patrick Tuohy, dad of course and ELLEN SHERLOCK mum. I have written to the owner of this tree on Anc (who I have already been in touch with) to see if he will tell me where the ELLEN SHERLOCK came from. Haven't had a chance to check the maps out yet.
Cheers

camellia14

Post by camellia14 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:39 am

OK have sorted the Ellen bit, this person had copied from another tree in Ancestry!!!!!!!! Speaking today, to a descendant who knew the researcher from the 1980s, he told me he had all the papers and Mary Finessey was down as wife to Patrick and the 1901 shows a Maryanne as wife to Patrick. I am now wondering if this Patrick is brother to my Con and could they be twins and the original researcher has got a bit mixed up with the names. Parents could be Cornelius & this Mary(who is living with son Patrick! Boy oh boy! as you said very difficult to work them all out. I have had a quick look at the transcribed baps and need to pursue further. Tried very hard to see the originals but sadly with my eye prob had to give up. I've saved them and will check over the weekend. Hope anyone can make sense of all that??
Summing up for the moment.
1st generation Cornelius T and Mary F Parents)
Children (so far) PATRICK(1861) CON(1861??) HENRY (1869)
Main thing is to find a bap for Con (or does he have another name in a bap record???

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Doing only a quick posting just now, but I want to comment, after seeing my Tuohy notes, that this family seems to have several locations in East Clare and they had their own practices on personal names. Lots of names starting with J and M - every one of those in use back then. Then, adults decided what name to go by. In New Jersey, a Jeremiah b. CLA became Harry by the 1900s. Besides Cornelius, I have seen some CLA baptisms with fairly uncommon names such as David and William.

In my Donnellan family of E.CLA, my pedigree produced by the old Herald's Office showing generations way back into the earliest family in Galway, use of Cornelius and William was done to preserve those names through the generations, so it is a good indication of relatedness between Donnellan households with people of those names.

SMC