cromwellian and williamite plantations

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

matthewmacnamara

cromwellian and williamite plantations

Post by matthewmacnamara » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Would anyone know of sources of information on these plantations in east Clare?
Meelick is anecdotally supposed to have received Cromwellian settlers.
In an early 1880s submission to a parliamentary commission the Conyngham estate
agent [a Keane] dates a Meelick settlement to the 1690s.

Sduddy

Re: cromwellian and williamite plantations

Post by Sduddy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:15 pm

I think the Notes on the Books of Forfeiture and Distribution in James Frost’s ‘History of Thomond’ is a good source for the information you are looking for.
On the genealogy homepage of www.clarelibrary.ie you will see on the left-hand column “1636-1703: Books of Survey and Distribution”. That brings you to the Baronies, including Bunratty Lower, which brings you to the parishes within that Barony, including Killeely. When you click on Killeely you will see the townland of Meelick and you can go to note 39 from there.
A faster way to get this note is by going to Research Support and to the Civil Parishes and clicking on Killeely: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... illely.htm

Sheila

matthewmacnamara

Post by matthewmacnamara » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Many thanks Sheila.

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 am

Matthew, I am pasting my notes into this reply. These were taken by me when I visited Eire in 2016. Being able to read the original entries in the book of survey & distribution was fantastic - I found a full list of person/townland (in NLI).

Michael McMahon had also kindly pointed me in the right direction.
See Patrick Nugent, ‘The interface between the Gaelic clan system of Co. Clare and the emerging centralising English nation-state in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century’, Irish Geography, vol. 40, no.1 (2007) pp 79-98:82. The historical value of the surviving inquisition post mortem abstracts have not been lost on historians who view the inquisitions as one of the best ways of assessing the fortunes of Gaelic freeholders. James Frost’s recording of 218 inquisitions has left us with an extensive record of English administration in late sixteenth century Clare. Other sources for inquisition material are John Ainsworth (ed.), The Inchiquin Manuscripts (Dublin, 1961) and Petworth House Archives, which preserve two inquisitions concerning Donough O’Brien, Fourth Earl of Thomond. See P.H.A. Bundle B.26.T16 (1 April 1619) and P.H.A No.1141, Inquisition Post Mortem, 4 January, 1624/5. I am grateful to Kenneth W. Nicholls for these references.

Patrick Nugent, ‘A Historical Geography of the Transformation in the Territorial Organisation of Gaelic Society in County Clare during the Early Modern Period’ (unpublished PhD thesis, University College Cork) pp 310-11..

38. Patrick White, (Rev) History of Clare and the Dalcassian Clans of Tipperary, Limerick, and Galway (Dublin, 1893) p. 202.

Simington, R C (1967) Books of Survey and Distribution, Vol 4, Clare. Dublin, Irish Manuscripts Commission

kind regards, Kerry

matthewmacnamara

Post by matthewmacnamara » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks Kerry