migration from county to county

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Blondie

migration from county to county

Post by Blondie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Would it have been typical for people to move from one county to another in the mid 1800's? What is the likelihood,that someone would be born in County Kerry and then move to County Clare? Did people move about to find work or even food for that matter?
Thanks you.

Sduddy

Re: migration from county to county

Post by Sduddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Blondie

Yes, people did move from county to county. There would have been a lot more commercial interaction and social interaction between Co. Kerry and Co. Limerick and South-west Clare than there would have been between South-west Clare and East Clare, for instance. Likewise there was much interaction between South Galway and the parishes of Kilkeedy (Tubber), Caher (Kilanena) and Inchicronan (Crusheen). And between South-east Galway and the parishes of Feakle and Scarriff. And between Co. Tipperary and East Clare. Also between South-west Galway and North Clare.

I know that you are researching the name Carrigg/Carrick, and you may have noticed from the irishgenealogy.ie records that the name Carrigg becomes "Rock" once you enter Galway. But this anglicisation of the name would have happened in the 18th century, I think. I think that by the 19th century most of the surnames had "set", and that a Carrigg going from Clare to Galway would have kept his name as Carrigg/Carrick. If you find out otherwise I would be interested in hearing about it.
The other name you are researching is O'Connor (very very often spelled "Connors") and this name is very widespread in Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry etc..

Sheila

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Thank you Sheila. I started wondering if some of my ancestors had come from other counties , which they still might have. I do have some potential new information, but I will post it on my other thread.

darrenoconaill

Post by darrenoconaill » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 pm

I also have ancestors who moved counties. In my case my great-grandmother and her sister moved from Caherciveen in Co.Kerry to Cratloe in the late 1800s to work as domestic servants.

At the risk of repeating Blondie's original question, how common was it for people to move such a long distance (in this case nearly 100km) to find work of this type? As Sheila said there was obviously a lot of movement between places like Tipp/East Clare, South Galway/Tubber etc; but Caherciveen to Cratloe seems a fair trek.

Would it not have been relatively straightforward to find such work closer to home?

Any ideas what the practicalities of finding jobs like domestics were? Were they advertised through local papers or was it a more informal process?

Many thanks in advance,

Darren

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am

There was also seasonal migration.

Some years back I was interested in the sudden depopulation of a settlement called the ciseach* (var. cisach – gishagh - Kishough) which lies (or lay) in the northeast of the townland of Moyrhee Commons in the parish of Ruan in the early 19th century (see http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... it=Ciseach).

Francis Brew Jnr, who lives close by, told me that the able-bodied men in the settlement would all leave in the Spring to work on the big farms in Limerick and Tipperary and would stay there over Spring and Summer and then return to the ciseach for the winter. Those who stayed behind (women, children, old people) would be employed cutting turf in the nearby bog as fuel for the winter.

Paddy