John Kearse of Cahermore, Kilmaley

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

John Kearse of Cahermore, Kilmaley

Post by kbarlow » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 am

In trying to find a direct relation of mine, a John Kierce, I had to investigate a lead in South Australia. The resulting info has shown he is not "my" John Kierce, but he maybe someone else's, so thought my searches may assist others from Kilmaley, with associated names of: Kearse, Cabey, Fitzmartin, Halloran & Scanlon.

Information relating to John Kearse (c1835 - 1912), died in South Australia
Article in The Chronicle, Adelaide dated 13 December 1913, enabled me to start building information about him and his family.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... +Australia

Date Detail Comment
1826 Thomas Kearse (& Francis) in Tithe Applotment Books @ Cahermore, Co Clare
1855 Thomas Kiers (& James Kiers) in Griffiths Valuations @ Cahermore, Co Clare
1835-1850s Several children born to a Thomas Kearse & Mary Caby: John (1835); Bridget (1841 - 1931 - the only one found in baptism record); Patrick (married Mary Fitzmartin in Clare); Margaret (married Thomas Halloran in Clare, 1872, states father Thomas deceased) - at least 2 children, Joseph & Mary); Mary (married a John Scanlon - where?- had 5 children)
1853 John migrates to SA According to obit of his death
1869 A Bridget Kearce (index has Pearce) married John Donnellan (recorded as Donlan) in Adelaide; her father is Thomas (a/c to newspaper both of Kilmaley) (South Australian register, 22 May 1869) A Bridget Kearse arrived SA (ref 64/4) age 19 yrs; obit in 1931 states from Cahermore, Clare, born 1843 (Southern Cross, 24 April, 1931); she is buried @ Kapunda, with husband John & a Francis Kierce (died 1878) also on headstone
1878 Death of a Francis Kierce Aust Death Index shows his birth date was abt 1818; given burial with Bridget Donnellan, his is probably her uncle
1912 Death of John Kierce (Crystal Brook, SA) informant is nephew Francis Informant is nephew named in will; he married Margaret Miller in 1905 in SA, father noted as Patrick; this is the Francis in birth record 1874 parents living @ Cahermore; his brother Michael birth recorded 1875, with sponsors being Thomas & Margaret Cabey; Michael also noted in the will; yet to verify if he is the one died 1948, buried @ Prospect Cemetery, SA
1946 A Joseph O'Halloran, brother of Mary, died @ Crystal Brook; he is noted in will; from Clare; colonist of 53 years (The Southern Cross, Adelaide, 18 Oct 1946)

johnmayer

Re: John Kearse of Cahermore, Kilmaley

Post by johnmayer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 am

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 950142.pdf

This record shows a marriage of Thomas (the son of Thomas) likely the one from the 1855 Grifith's, and a widow named Margaret Burke, who was born Margatret Keating (daughter of Patrick). The only other male Kearse marriage I can find in Kilmaley was Patrick and Bridget Neylon on March 3, 1840.

Here is what I have on this family:

The Kearse family was present at Cahermore, in the 1824 Tithe Applotments. Both Francis Kearse and Thomas Kearse are present.

Thomas Kearse and Mary Cabey were likely married prior to 1830. They had at least two children baptized in Kilmaley Parish. Here are the records for those baptisms:
• Bridget Kearse baptized February 24, 1830 (Andrew Cabey and Ellen O’Dea)
• Thomas Kearse baptized September 18, 1831 (Pat Cabey and Bridget Meehan)

At the time of the 1855 Griffith’s Valuation, Thomas Kiers is renting 56 acres, two roods and sixteen perches of land, from Marcus Keane. The land contains two houses and sheds. Thomas appears to reside in one house and is renting the second house to James Kiers.

Patrick Kearse and Mary Fitzmartin/Fitzpatrick were likely married before 1874. They had at least two children baptized in Kilmaley Parish. Here are baptism records for those children:
• Francis Kierse baptized in March, 1874 (Martin Costelloe and Mary Costelloe)
• Michael Kearse baptized September 18, 1875 (Thomas Cabey & Margaret Cabey)

There were no Kearse families located in Cahermore by the time of the 1901 census.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:08 am

So one more bit of information. Pat Kearse and Mary Fitzmartin were married on February 11, 1873. He was 35, and she was 17. They were married in Kilmihil Parish. Pat's father is John in Cregg, Kilmeedy (Unsure of where this is). Mary is the daughter of Peter of Glaumore (which I also can't locate).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208357.pdf

It appears that Pat Kearse died in 1876. His age is listed as 54 so one of the two recoeds is incorrect.

Finally, Mary Kearse/Fitzmartin (now of Cahermore) and a widow, remarried a Michael Griffin in Kilmaley Church on February 13, 1877

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 074573.pdf

I don't know if this helps!

John

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 am

Thanks for your feedback John - I note you did the transcriptions for Kilmaley, so appreciate this feedback. A couple of mysteries remain though. I note a birth of a Bridget Keane Feb 2 1841 to a Thomas and Mary Casey - I suspect this may be the Bridget Donnellan (nee Kierce) in my original message, as her age is more in keeping with her records in Oz (than the earlier baptism in 1830 - this baby may have died).

I cannot find the baptism of Thomas Kearse Sep 18 1831 in your original transcriptions - do you have another version since they were posted?

also the 1873 marriage of a Patrick & Mary Fitzmartin entry a mystery, as notes his father as John. Yet Patrick's sons Francis & Michael are noted as nephews of John Kearse (1831-1912) in Oz will, so their father must have been John's brother.

regards, Kerry

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 am

Wouldn't that make John in Oz a brother to Patrick, so Patrick's sons would be nephews, and both Patrick and John could be sons of John. Having said that, I have seen great uncles also listed simply as uncles.

It would seem that Patrick Keirce (son of John) was born in Kilmihil Parish. Glanmore and Cragg are beside each other. In the 1901 census, the Fitzmartin family is still present. So at the time of the marriage in 1873, there was a John Keirce living in Cragg, and possibly a relative named Thomas living in Kilmaley. Somehow, Patrick and his new wife moved to Cahermore, maybe they took over the relatives farm, which would explain why there is no baptism record in Kilmaley for 1831.

John

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:53 am

Hi again - when Bridget Kearse (1841/3-1931) married John Donlan/Donnellan in Adelaide, the index shows her father as Thomas. As her brother in the will is John Kearse, his father must be Thomas (although cannot find his baptism). I think Patrick's father must also be Thomas (given his sons Francis and Michael are John's nephews in the will) - the priest may have made a mistake, and given the parties could not sign their own names, they would not have picked up the error.

Let's hope someone whose family this may be can pursue the "leads".

Kerry

Donny

Post by Donny » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 am

For future researchers, John Kierce was the son of Thomas and Mary, as mentioned in his will, which puts him as the son of Thomas and Mary Cabey. My tie-in is through Bridget, who married John Donnellan 1869 in South Australia (SA). As far as I can ascertain, John and his sister Bridget were the only ones of their generation to come to SA. Nieces / nephews were Joseph and Mary O'Halloran, and Francis Kierce who were mentioned in John Kierce's will were also in SA, however the nephew Michael Kierce is referred to as "Michael Kierce of Ennis, County Clare, Ireland" which, I assume, means he wasn't in SA at the time. Still trying to place the Francis Kierce who died at Kapunda SA in 1878, born c1818.
Thank you for posting the information on this site, which confirms my own research to date.