Library Forum

A partnership of Clare County Library and Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 pm 

Hi Dawn - now you have cousins in Co. Clare !! - I met my friend - Paddy Waldron - in Ennis, Co. Clare, last night - and told him about your post - sorry for thinking that Col. John was a brother to Col. Crofton Moore. - Paddy has straightened it out !!. !!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 am 

Hi Miriam, no problem at all. I'm grateful you mentioned my post to Paddy and I've PM'ed my email address to him. I see that Cornell University Library - a few hours away from me by car - has a copy of McGuane's book on Kilrush. Looking forward to reading it ... Dawn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:00 pm 

I found this on the Clare County Library website, Kildysart cemetery headstone transcriptions, #368 O'BRIEN:

... Erected by Johanna Vandeleur alias Keane of Clonsnaughta in memory of her beloved husband John Vandeleur who died March 17th 1881 aged 58 years also her son Joseph who died 10th February 1881 aged 9 years ...

There's a reference to a Mary O'Brien at the beginning of the entry who may be a granddaughter of Johanna via Susan who married Pat Hehir.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:00 am 

I'm grateful for the replies concerning John Vandeleur's son Walter who emigrated to Queensland. Since Walter's baptism must have been recorded on one of the missing Kildysart pages, I might never have heard of him otherwise. I purchased and downloaded Walter's death certificate, which shows him to be the son of Susan Keane and John, and probably born late in 1857.

So that led me to look at the Vandeleur emigrants Matthias, James, and Martin, who arrived in Brisbane a few years after Walter. I found Matthias in the Queensland death index and downloaded his death certificate as well. He died in a Brisbane hospital in 1928, was not married, and no parental information was given. It just lists his occupation as miner and indicates that he was from Clare. Based on this information, I don't know if Matthias was Walter's brother or cousin.

I found no marriage record in Australia for James, but there is a James Vandeleur in the Western Australia death index - died in 1895 aged 26. It does not look like any information is available for his origin or his parents, so I'm not ordering a copy of the DC at this time. With a little more searching, I found that James was buried at Coolgardie. John's son James was baptized in Kildysart late in 1866, and I have found no civil records for him in Ireland, so this might be the same James, just a slight difference in age.

Don't have much on Martin yet, except that it does not appear that he died in Australia unless he changed his name. I may have to think about getting a subscription to old Australian newspapers.

Dawn

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:00 am 

Hi Dawn, the National Library of Aus has a newspaper digitisation project, which is free to access @

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Kerry

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:50 pm 

Thank you, Kerry!

I've found an article in the Coolgardie Miner reporting the death of James Vandeleur of typhoid fever. He and his brother - the article does not mention the brother by name - had been working at the Mt. Burgess mine. It's also stated that they were former residents of Herberton, North Queensland, which is where Walter worked. I'm now fairly certain that this is the James I've been looking for.

Dawn