O'Loughlin Family

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

BrianKEN

O'Loughlin Family

Post by BrianKEN » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:08 am

I am chasing up my wife's Great grandfather Patrick O'Loughlin and his parents Michael O'Loughlin & Bridget O'Hehir.
>> They arrived in Melbourne in 2nd. May 1853 aboard the immigrant ship
>> "Earl Grey" , the only information listed on the ships log was Michael aged
>> 30 Arg. labourer ; Bridget aged 33 wife ;Patrick aged 6yrs. & his sister
>> Bridget aged 12yrs and that they came from Co. Clare no other information who
>> their parents were or what town their came from.
>>
I have a copy of both Michael & Patrick's death certificates : These lists Michael's parents as James O'Loughlin farmer & Bridget Torpy wife.

>> The name of the place that Michael was born was listed as "JUNI AYMON" by
>> the Transcribers I cannot find any place listed under this spelling ,It
>> was probably her interpretation of the writing on the original death
>> certificate?
>> I have carried out a lot of research about this O'Loughlin family here in
>> Australia but I am still missing The town or Townland/ village where they
>> were born!
>>
>>
>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
>>
>> Regards
>> BrianKen
>>
>

murf

Re: O'Loughlin Family

Post by murf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:08 am

Hi BrianKen
and welcome to the forum.
I did a little scrummaging around and came up with the following:
In the tithe applotment books there is a townland of Bunawaum in Gleninagh Parish, northwest Clare.
Now with a bit of imaginative freehand and misspelling JUNI AYMON could be morphed into BUNAWAUM.
See the tithe applotment page at
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... rch=Search
The townland occupants are James, Michl and Simeon O'Loghlin plus two Dalys and a Roche.
In Griffiths Valuation the name Bunawaum had disappeared, I guess being absorbed into another townland, but note that the names Daly, Roche and O'Loughlin all appear in the townland Aghaglinny North.
Further to this there is an O'Loughlin family still living in Aghaglinny North in the 1901 census.
It is most worthwhile to investigate relations that may have been left behind in Co Clare. Gleninagh civil parish comes within the Catholic Parish of Ballyvaughan.
Thanks to Sheila Duddy the Ballyvaughan Baptism Register has now been transcribed at http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6872
You will find lots of O'Loughlins there. Also I noticed that there was only one Hehir baptism, but the sponsor was Patt Torpy.
Well all of this may be pie in the sky, but just perhaps it may give you a start.
Don't hesitate to ask further questions on this forum, there are lots of savvy genealogists lurking about, and search thru all the wonderful resources on the Clare Library site.
Good luck
Murf

mick o

Post by mick o » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:54 pm

michael oloughlin
hello brian
my take on where michael was born is Ennistymon?
also my family from gleninah aghaglinny north and
ennistymon
any information I find I will pass onto you
Mick

BrianKEN

Post by BrianKEN » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:43 am

Hi Murf & Mick

Thanks a lot for both of your replies, I am sure the info. that you sent me will help me a great deal.
I have been researching both my wife's & my own family history for well over 30 years in Ireland & Australia. But I know very little about Co. Clare records and districts. So any help will be greatly appreciated so that I may complete my present family history book.
My great aunt Anne Kennedy came out here to Sydney from the Co. Carlow Workhouse in 1849 . She was one of the Irish Orphans. She later sponsored her 3 brothers and their families out here in 1856. Her name is on the wall of Remembrance at Hyde Park barracks Sydney.

Regards

Brian Ken