parish records

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

parish records

Post by kbarlow » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 am

Hi Sheila and other wonderful transcribers - can you kindly clarify the meaning of this type of entry in the marriage records?

"de Fineborensi, cura D(?) Connill"

does it mean the bride was from outside the groom's parish? is cura meaning curate?

thanks, Kerry

Sduddy

Re: parish records

Post by Sduddy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:39 am

Hi Kerry

“de Fineborensi, cura D(?) Connill” comes up in the Rath-Kilnaboy parish records.

First thing to say is that I’m not a bit sure of my footing here – if I was, I would have done a translation at the time of my transcribing.

I think “Fineborens” is an old name for the diocese of Kilfenora and Kilmacduagh. A diocese is a group of parishes. Anyone wishing to know which diocese a parish belongs to can check the Clare Library Locial Studies Centre: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... ecords.htm.
Rath-Kilnaboy is in the diocese of Killaloe, but the neighbouring parishes of Kiltoraght and Carron are in another diocese, the diocese of Galway, Kilfenora and Kilmacduagh, so men who came to marry in the parish of Rath-Kilnaboy were described as “Feneborensis” – that is from Kilfenora-Kilmacduagh.

“cura D(?) Connill” means in the curacy of D(?) Connill, or in the parish of D(?) Connill. I imagine the note was made to show that D(?) Connill had been deferred to as to whether the groom-to-be was free to marry.

I hope someone will give a better reply to your question. I would like to get a better understanding of all this myself. Am I right in thinking that the old name for Killaloe was “Laoens” – or something like that? When we see it as “Laoensis”, does it meaning “from Killaloe”? The Irish for Killaloe is Cill Da Lua – the Church of Lua, so I am guessing that “Laoens” may be a Latinised form of Lua.

Sheila

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Sduddy wrote:I think “Fineborens” is an old name for the diocese of Kilfenora and Kilmacduagh. Sheila
Browsing through Lateran Regesta. Vol. CCCCLXIV (fn. 1), 4 Nicholas V., De Regularibus under 1450, 12 Kal. Sept. (21 Aug.) Fabriano (f. 58d.) I read "...To the abbot of Corcomroe (de Petra fertuli, rectius de Petra fertili) in the diocese of Kilfenora (Fineboren.)..." (see http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-pa ... /pp497-501).

Paddy

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:02 am

Thank you Sheila & Paddy - what a great service you transcribers & commentators are doing for Clare ancestors.

Kerry

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi Kerry and Paddy

Well, it turns out that, as usual, we did not need to go further than clarelibrary.ie (History page): http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nnals1.htm

Sheila

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 am

Well spotted Sheila - there are several of such entries in the Killinaboy/Rath parish entries, so this definitive finding of yours really assists.

Kerry