Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 am

Hi Jimbo

I’m looking forward to hearing about John E. McNamara, the dancing teacher, but, in the meantime, a couple of snippets from The Humours of Tulla: Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Tulla Comhaltas 1957 – 2007 that I think might interest you. At the beginning of the book (booklet of 140 pages) are a few short pieces by people who have memories of the 1930s. The writers are writing for Tulla people and assume that their readers will be familiar with the names mentioned. Most of those names mean nothing to me, but I was pleased to be given a picture of life in the 1930s – a picture of the lighter side of life – not be found in the newspapers, or in the history books.
There are a couple of names that I think you will recognize immediately: an unsigned piece, “A Proud and Noble Tradition: Early influence on the traditional music of East Clare,” gives much credit to Paddy Canny [a grandson of John Canny and Anne McNamara who married in 1864] for the unbroken continuation of traditional music in Tulla, and also to another well known fiddler, P J Hayes, in the course of which he refers, in passing, to Tommy Mack, who I think must be Thomas McNamara who died in 1935: “Tommy Mack from Glandree left his fiddle to the Hayes family and PJ soon took to playing it”. The second name is Bill O’Malley, mentioned in a piece by Paddy Canny himself (on page 28); I think Bill must belong to the Mealys you wrote about in “News-Items on Mealy/O’Malley of Tulla Parish.”* Paddy Canny’s father, Pat, died in 1940, so the following must relate the 1930s at the latest: “Bill Malley, another great friend of mine, lived in lower Glendree. He was a farmer and he played the fiddle. He often recalled the times that he spent in our house up in Glendree learning tunes from my father Pat, God rest him.” It’s possible, I think, that Bill is the William Joseph O Malley who is aged 4 in 1911. The name reminded me of William O'Meally who went to Sacramento.

There are also some placenames that will ring a bell: “Platform dancing was held every Sunday in Carraun, Glandree and Ayle Cross during the Summer months. House dances took place mainly at the wedding parties or to celebrate the return of relations from America. Jim Sheedy’s house in Leighort and Foley’s and Moloney’s in Glandree were local favourites.” There are no Sheedys in Leaghort, so I wondered if this was a case of Sheedy being used to denote a particular family of McNamaras, and then I found this record of the marriage of Margaret Sheedy McNamara: 24 Jan 1915: John Connell, Lahardan, Tulla, Labourer, son of Michael Connell, Labourer, deceased, to Margaret Sheedy, Leehort, Feakle, daughter of Michael Sheedy, Farmer, in Tulla Church; witnesses: Michael Connell, Bridget Sheedy McNamara. This Marriage was solemnized between us: John Connell, Maggie Sheedy McNamara: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 560035.pdf

I was also interested to see the mention of a Mary Sheedy McNamara in the piece by Jimmy Moloney (referred to in my posting above):
Pake Houlihan used to play in our house for young lads learning to dance. He was a very nice fellow and never minded playing for learners. There were some very useful dancers – Tommy and John (Jack) Nash, Mick McNamara, Mickey McNamara, Thomas Foley, Andrew McNamara and JJ O’Malley and of course Myles Moloney in Uggoon and I did a bit myself. There were a lot of great women dancers in the area. Mary Sheedy McNamara was a great dancer as were Cissie May O’Malley, the Foley girls and the Moroneys – Peg, Mary and Eileen were well able to dance. In Lower Glendree Bridie Hogan, my own sisters BB and Mary, Mary Ellen McGrath, and of course Nora and Sarah O’Donnell were well able to dance.
House Dances in the late 1930's, by Jimmy Moloney, in The Humours of Tulla: Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Tulla Comhaltas 1957 – 2007
Those girls were probably born in the 1920s and the names mean nothing to me – but I was just interested to see “Sheedy” used to denote a particular McNamara family.

* "News-Items on Mealy/O'Malley of Tulla Parish: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6907

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thank you very much for the snippets from the Humours of Tulla booklet, that was a very lucky find at the second hand bookstore. This certainly does provide a picture of the lighter side of life in Tulla. With regards to John E. McNamara, the Irish dance instructor of Chicago, I'll start a new thread. These McNamara's are from Parteen Parish in County Clare, close to Limerick. John E. McNamara appears to have no connection to Tulla parish, other than perhaps teaching Tulla immigrants how to dance in Chicago.

"Jim Sheedy’s house in Leighort", one of the local favorites for house dances, must be referring to James McNamara who was age 22 living in House 1 in Leighort More in the 1911 census.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... re/371870/

His parents Michael McNamara (son of James McNamara of Leighort) and Mary Kelly (daughter of Miles Kelly of Gortavella) were married on 14 February 1888 at the Catholic chapel at Kilclaron. We've already come across this McNamara family of Leighort. On the night of the 25th of February 1882, there was no house dance going on in Leighort, but a moonlighting attack (see discussion on page 20 to 21), first upon the James McNamara family and then his neighbor Michael Moroney who was shot and a few days later died. James McNamara testified at a coroner's inquiry on 6 March 1882 in Limerick (page 20) that "I knew the deceased Michael Moroney. On the night of the occurrence, after he left my house about eight o'clock, my son James, aged forty, said he heard a number of people walk along the road. My other son [Michael in other reports], aged twenty-four, and my daughter aged twenty-six, were in the house at the time. When the armed party entered my children ran into another room; my wife alone remained with me" (The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 7 March 1882). The mention in Humours of Tulla that they were Sheedy McNamara's was the first evidence I've seen of this and is a very interesting clue.

Paddy Canny, noted in "A Proud and Noble Tradition" for his influence on the traditional music of East Clare, was indeed the grandson of John Canny and Anne McNamara of Glandree. And also the great grandson of John McNamara and Ellen McNamara of Kilmore townland. Whether or not he was also the great great grandson of Patrick McNamara of Curraghnatoo townland in 1827 Tithes is still open to debate. The first two sons of John Canny and Anne McNamara, John in 1865 and Patrick in 1866, had birth locations as "Keiraun" and "Cerane" in the Catholic baptism register, and as "Keraun" in the civil birth records; surely these locations are a derivation of Curraghnatoo townland. Patrick Canny was born on 9 September 1919 to Patt Canny and Kate McNamara of Glandree. I've updated the Kilmore McNamara family tree, see page 18, to include Paddy Canny.

Jimmy Moloney, the author of "House Dances in the late 1930's", I reckon was the grandson of James Moloney and Bridget Moroney of Uggoon, and great grandson of John Moloney and Joan McNamara of Uggoon. See family tree on page 18 (a few postings past the Kilmore McNamara family tree). Whether or not Jimmy Moloney was also a great great grandson of Patrick McNamara of Curraghatoo townland, and thus a possible second cousin of Paddy Canny, is still open to even greater debate. James Moloney was born on 10 July 1911 to John Moloney and Julia Minogue of Uggoon (now updated on page 18). Not 100% certain that he is the same as Jimmy Moloney, as such a common name, but he did have a sister named Bridget Christine born in 1913. Jimmy stated that "my own sisters BB and Mary" were "able to dance" — such very strong praise.

Getting back to the McNamara's of Glandree:

When John McNamara, the son of Matthew McNamara and his second wife Anne Halpin, arrived in New York on the SS Ivernia on 16 February 1904, his American contact was his cousin, M.H. McNamara, of 90 Miller Street in Chicago. Michael H. McNamara was the son of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin. Unfortunately, the noted cousin relationship does not prove that Matthew McNamara and Michael McNamara were brothers, since Anne Halpin and Margaret Halpin were proven sisters. It is very difficult to prove a double cousin relationship.

In researching the likely identity of Jimmy Moloney, who wrote "House Dances in the Late 1930's", my first place to look was the family of Michael Moloney and Mary McNamara of Glandree (see family tree on page 31). Michael Moloney was the National School Teacher of Glandree; and Mary McNamara was the daughter of Matthew McNamara and his first wife Johanna "Susanna" O'Dea. However, their son James Moloney, born in 1882, was likely too old to be reminiscing in the late 1950's or so about dances in the 1930's era. James Moloney, born in Uggoon in 1912, was a far more likely candidate.

But the above research led me to the following marriage: James Moloney, farmer, of Glandree, son of teacher Michael Moloney, married Mary McNamara, of Glandree, daughter of farmer John McNamara, on 31 July 1922 at Drumcharley Catholic Church by the Rev. James Halpin; witnesses William McNamara and Agnes Cooney. James Moloney was the grandson of Matthew McNamara and Johanna "Susanna" O'Dea. Mary McNamara was the granddaughter of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 323179.pdf

Civil marriage records don't state the degree of consanguinity, but if the above referenced Matthew McNamara and Michael McNamara of Glandree were indeed brothers, then the Catholic marriage record in 1922 of James Moloney and Mary McNamara would, or at least should, state "third degree of consanguinity", for second cousins. And there was no possible double cousin relationship to confuse matters. However, since the Tulla baptism pages from the 1820's, which included the baptisms of Matthew McNamara and Michael McNamara, had perhaps already gone missing by 1922, was there any possibility for the Catholic priest to prove the cousin relationship? Although, the officiating priest, the Rev. James Halpin, was a first cousin of the two Halpin sisters and might have known that the two McNamara's from Glandree were brothers independent of baptism records?

It is interesting to consider that a couple wanting to get married in 1922, and get married without the delay of obtaining a dispensation for a consanguinity relationship from the Catholic hierarchy, would have had a strong motive for a few pages of the Tulla baptism register going back nearly 100 years to the 1820's to go missing. This is not to accuse James Moloney and Mary McNamara who were married in 1922, since with even third cousins having to obtain a dispensation, there would be many couples in Tulla parish with a similar motive. And then there was the Rev. James Halpin of Tulla Parish. At least in the 1860's, a special dispensation was required by the Pope direct from Rome (see evidence of this on the consanguinity discussion on page 7). I reckon by the 20th century only approval by an Irish archbishop would be required. Either way, the Vatican rules would have created a lot of paperwork for the parish priests. But what would happen if a few pages from the Tulla baptism register mysteriously went missing?

edit 1: Michael McNamara married to Mary Kelly, not Bridget Kelly.
Last edited by Jimbo on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:56 pm

Hi Jimbo

I’m glad you liked those snippets from The Humours of Tulla. The memories of the 1930s were written (or collected, maybe) in 2007, and not in 1957 (when hardly anyone in Clare thought of writing their memories, or were encouraged to do so, or were given an outlet). I think most of those who gave their memories in 2007 have since died. I don’t think Jimmy Moloney is the James born 1912. I think Jimmy Moloney was born in the 1920s. Another piece, later in the book, entitled “A Labour of Love: 20 years of Set Dancing,” gives an account of the dedication of Jimmy Moloney and his wife Kathleen to teaching set dancing and I think this is the same Jimmy. There’s no date except the date of their marriage: 1959. One person I did not mention was Pat O’Halloran, who was from Kiltannon, Tulla (because his memories were of his own neighbours, and not of Glendree). He died in 2012. The name Pat O’Halloran is very common, but I think he may be the same man who provided memories of The Doctor Mack to the “Doc’s” grandson: http://www.nestorsbridge.com/maghera/dr-memories.html *

About the obtaining of dispensation to marry: it would have been pretty much impossible for second cousins, living in the same neighbourhood, to avoid applying for a dispensation. The priest might be a stranger, but everyone else would know very well that they were related. Ripping pages out of the book would not help.

I agree that James Sheedy in Leighort is James McNamara aged 22 in Leighort More in 1911. Two of James’s younger sisters, Kate and Mary, emigrated. They were going to Aunt Delia Douglas/Mrs William Douglas, according to Tom McDowell’s list of emigrants from Feakle: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... grants.htm
Aunt Delia was Delia Hogan, daughter of William Hogan and Margaret McNamara, Douglaun, who was born 28 Nov 1881.
24 Feb 1868: Marriage of William Hogan, Farmer, Douglaun, son of Pat Hogan, Farmer, to Margaret McNamara, Leihurt, daughter of James McNamara, Farmer, in Feakle chapel; witnesses: Pat Molony, Margaret Moroney: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 207306.pdf
Aunt Delia features in that list of emigrants also, and became one of those go-to people in the U.S. - apart from her nieces, two other emigrants are going to her.

The 1901 census shows that the other McNamara family, who were living in Leighort in the second half of the 19th century, have completely disappeared – something which always intrigues me, given the high priority given to holding on to the farm no matter what. They were Michael McNamara and Margaret Walsh and their children (whose baptisms are recorded in the Feakle parish register). Margaret died on 3 Feb 1879, aged only 33, and her daughter, Mary, aged 10, died shortly afterwards on 9 March. I found no record of the death of Michael, and no trace of Patrick born 1867: (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 266739.pdf ), or of William born 1870 (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 211708.pdf ), or of Michael born 1873 (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 166700.pdf), or of Bridget born 1878 (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 084843.pdf). But I think I found Ellen born 1876 (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 123777.pdf): An Ellen McNamara aged 21 is living as with her uncle Patt McNamara aged 60 and his wife, aged 70, in Caherill (Caher Rice), Derrynagitta DED, in 1901. And I think she is the Ellen McNamara, Upper Caher, daughter of Michael McNamara (dead), who married John Moroney from Lower Feakle, son of John Moroney, on 22 Jul 1902: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 743682.pdf
Patt McNamara died on 2 Apr. 1904; the informant John Moroney, describes himself as son-in-law, but I think that should be nephew-in-law. The 1911 census shows John Moroney, aged 40, and Ellen, aged 32, and five of their children living in Caher Rice, Derrynagittagh DED.

Sheila

*The description of Doc Mack, in the record of his death, in 1941, as “Labourer” is a good illustration of how widely the term “Labourer” was used in the censuses and in death records to describe any retired person. For Doc Mack had been a Coachman, and clearly very proud of his occupation and the knowledge he had accumulated over the years. I sometimes wonder if the registrars were impatient with people who hesitated over deciding the occupation of the deceased, and I wonder if the registrars “helpfully” jumped in with “Labourer.” And similarly with the signing of marriage records, when I see “his mark”, or “her mark”, I wonder if the priests or registrars gave people a proper chance to write their names themselves. I remember how long it would take people, who were not used to signing documents, to complete that task, and now, when I am in the Bank and asked to put my initials on some document, I can feel the exasperation of the official as I fooster with my glasses and pen and then peer at the document for several seconds, and I can understand that they might sometimes wish they could just take it and sign it themselves. So, when I read “his mark,” or “her mark,” or “Labourer,” I always take a pinch of salt.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:25 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for the feedback. A quick google search of Jimmy Moloney and Tulla makes it obvious that you are correct that the author of "House Dances in the Late 1930's" was not the James Moloney born in Uggoon in 1912, but was indeed born in the 1920's. And while the explanation for why the Tulla baptism register has missing pages was somewhat dubious, the important takeaway is that a Catholic marriage register from 1922 could provide the key evidence that two McNamara's born in the 1820's, in a period that has missing baptism pages, were, in fact, brothers. The passenger listing from 1904 could have also provided the same evidence, but did not since the theory is that the two McNamara brothers married two Halpin sisters, so the reported cousin relationship was not conclusive evidence.

Similarly, while the Feakle baptism register only begins in 1860, the passenger listings can be used as evidence of the children of James McNamara (≈1815 - 1895) of Leighort More. Bridget Donnellan, age 21, of Feakle, arrived in New York on the SS Oceanic on 28 April 1904; contact her cousin Bridget Hogan of 26 Orange Street, Brooklyn.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AJF1X-KX7

In addition to Margaret McNamara who married William Hogan in 1868, that you mentioned above; there was Bridget McNamara (daughter of James McNamara of Leighort) who married Michael Donnellan (son of James Donnellan of Ballycrown) on 3 February 1875 at Feakle chapel. The witnesses were William Dowdall and Bridget Moroney per the civil record. Bridget McNamara was reported as the witness in the Feakle Catholic parish record which was likely a mistake by the parish priest, the Rev. Joseph Meade.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 103552.pdf

When James McNamara testified at the coroner's inquiry on 6 March 1882 in Limerick and mentioned "my daughter aged twenty-six" he was not referring to either Margaret Hogan or Bridget Donnellan. Neither of his married daughters were still living in Leighort More on the 25th of February 1882 when the McNamara family was attacked by moonlighters. A Mary McNamara was a baptism sponsor for several children of Margaret Hogan in 1869 and Bridget Donnellan in 1877 and 1879, and appeared to have been their sister as well as the daughter mentioned at the coroner's inquiry. This theory was confirmed by her death record: Mary McNamara, of Leighort, spinster, age 40 years, died on 20 February 1895; informant sister-in-law Mary (Kelly) McNamara; the wife of her brother Michael McNamara.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 686744.pdf

What happened to "my son James, aged forty" as referenced in the 1882 coroner's inquiry remains a mystery.

The wife of James McNamara (≈1815 - 1895) was reported in the 1901 census at Leighort More as Bridget McNamara, widow, age 80, living with her son Michael McNamara & family. Unknown death record. Since their children were born prior to the 1860 start of the Feakle baptism register, the maiden name of Bridget McNamara remains another mystery.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1087801/

The new evidence discovered in the Humours of Tulla that the family of James McNamara were Sheedy McNamara's might be an important clue but I'm not sure of its significance.

More clues: Delia Hogan, from Caher, was on the SS Cedric returning to NY on 4 October 1907; American contact, brother Thomas Hogan living in the Bronx; Irish contact, mother Margaret Hogan of Dooglaun. Bridget Hogan, who had lived in New York already for five years, was traveling with three "cousins" going to her brothers Thomas Hogan and James Hogan of 1213 Southern "So" Boulevard, The Bronx: Bridget Cunningham <Killanena, Killanena, House 3, x>; Patrick O'Halloran <Corbehagh, Killanenna, House 1, x>; and Denis McMahon <Drummondoora, Loughea, House 20, x>. On the same passenger listing, was another cousin, Annie Donnellan of Ballycrown <Ballycrown, Loughea, House 5, x>, going to her sister Margaret Donellan of 510 Marcella Street, Syracuse.

Passenger #10 Annie Donnellan; #12 Bridget Cunningham; #13 Delia Hogan; #15 Patrick O'Halloran; #18 Denis McMahon, and many others from East Clare on the SS Cedric arriving in New York on 4 October 1907:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704

How these three cousins going to the Bronx, and whether first or second cousins, are related to the Hogan siblings, the children of William Hogan and Margaret McNamara, might possibly provide the identity of "Bridget" married to James McNamara (≈1815 - 1895) of Leighort More.

In 1855 Griffith Valuation for Leighort More, James McNamara in Plot 1 has a little over 20 acres, rental value of about £5. Michael McNamara was in Plot 3 with about 15 acres, and £8 valuation. They shared land in Plot 5 with William Moroney and Michael Ryan.

Sheila, I had also researched the family of Michael McNamara and Margaret Walsh, but only briefly as like you mentioned they appear to have disappeared. Good job in discovering that their daughter Ellen McNamara was living in Caherhill in 1901. I did find a death record from 1876 that I reckon was a family member:

Mary McNamara, of Lehortmore, a farmer's widow, age 84 years, died on 16 July 1876; informant Michael McNamara of Lehortmore (Galway registration). If the reported age was accurate, Mary would have been born about 1792. I suspect that Mary McNamara would have been the grandmother of the Michael McNamara, son of Michael McNamara, who at the age of 26 married Margaret Walsh in 1867, so born about 1841.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 218981.pdf

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi Jimbo

That is wonderful work, and such a fast reply that I think you are building up a database – which is proving very useful. Thanks for the link to the ships manifest which shows a whole group of people emigrating from the Killanena area.
I had failed to find the record of the marriage of Michael McNamara and Margaret Walsh, but I could see that you had found it, so I tried again and found it under Michael Mac: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 228056.pdf
The marriage took place in Bodyke church, so I checked my transcription of the Kilnoe (Bodyke) marriages just in case there was any extra information, and did not at first find the record. Then, when I looked at the original https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 5/mode/1up , I saw that I had mistranscribed Walshe as “Malone”! I can’t think how I could have made such a bad mistake as the writing is quite clear. I will try to get that fixed. The addresses and witnesses are okay - I found no extra information.

In a last effort to find Margaret’s children, I decided to find where she had come from, and see if any of them were living with their Walsh relatives. The record of Margaret’s marriage shows that her father was William Walsh, Gortalassa, but this was not the Gortalassa townland in Feakle parish; it was another “unofficial” Gurtalassa in Kilnoe (Bodyke) parish (see Kilnoe parish registers). After some checking of names, I decided that Gurtalassa was part of the townland of Caherhurley. Griffith’s Valuation shows a William Walsh sharing the tenancy of Lot 51 in Caherhurley with Jeremiah [Darby] Walsh and John Malone. I think this William was Margaret’s father. Well, the 1901 and 1911 censuses did not reveal any McNamaras living with Walsh relatives in Caherhurly, but I felt I had achieved something by having found the location of the unofficial Gortalassa – information that may be useful to someone, someday.

I agree, by the way, that the marriage register from 1922 could provide evidence that two McNamara’s born in the 1820s were brothers. And I also agree that my discovery that some McNamaras in Leighort were called Sheedy McNamaras might be of no significance at all – it’s just an interesting crumb of information in itself.

Sheila

P.S. In the course of searching I came upon this article by James Frost, which I hadn’t seen before, on the meanings of the townland names. The information contained in it is more organised and more easily found here on clarelibrary: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... _names.htm , but it was enjoyable to read the original: http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/053%20 ... pt%204.pdf .

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:31 am

Hi Jimbo

I found the record of the marriage of Patrick McNamara who was living in Caherill (Caher Rice) in 1901 and it shows that he was from Leihortmore and a son of Michael McNamara:
12 Jul 1869: Marriage of Patrick McNamara, Farmer, Leihartmore, son of Michael McNamara, Farmer, to Mary Hayes alias Tuohy, widow, Cahir, daughter of Simon Tuohy, Farmer, in Flagmount chapel; witnesses: Timothy Hartneady, Catherine Curtis: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 199368.pdf
So Patrick is a brother of Michael who married Margaret Walsh. I don’t think Patrick and Mary Hayes (nee Touhy) had any children of their own, so their place went to Patrick’s niece, Ellen, and her husband, John Moroney.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 am

Hi Sheila, very good job in discovering the marriage record of Patrick McNamara of Leighortmore and proving that he was the uncle of Ellen McNamara, the daughter of Michael McNamara and Margaret Walsh of Leighort More born in 1876. And that Patrick McNamara lived at Caher Rice in 1901 with their niece. Unfortunately, there is still the unresolved mystery of what happened to Michael McNamara (born about 1841) and his remaining children: Patrick (born 1867), William (1870), Michael (1873), and Bridget (1878).

When Margaret Walsh McNamara died in February 1879 at the age of 33, her husband Michael McNamara would be a widower with very young children. I suspect that Mary Tuohy Hayes McNamara at Caher Rice would have stepped in to help raise not just Ellen, but all her nephews and nieces. At least initially, but wouldn't it also be typical for a widower with young children to remarry?

On 3 February 1883, Michael McNamara, widower, farmer, of Caher, son of farmer Michael McNamara married Honora McMahon, spinster, of Acres, daughter of farmer Michael McMahon at the Catholic chapel at Kilanena by the Rev. James Clancy, C.C.; witnesses John McNamara and John McMahon.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 993005.pdf

Appears perfect: a widower, son of Michael McNamara, and timing all point to the Michael McNamara who had lived at Leighort More. Plus, Michael's age of 60 years in the 1901 census is consistent with the 26 year old who first got married in 1867 to Margaret Walsh. At first glance, the Caher location appears consistent with Patrick McNamara of Caher Rice where perhaps Michael McNamara moved for help to raise his large number of children?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... r/1087355/

But then the theory falls apart. Caher townland is in Caher DED for the census, and in Inchicronan Civil parish, a fair distance from Caher Rice townland. Plus, when Ellen McNamara married John Moroney in 1902, Ellen stated that she was the daughter of Michael McNamara who was deceased; Michael McNamara was still living in Caher in 1911. The six children of Michael McNamara and Honora McMahon in the 1901 census included a Patrick (age 16) and Michael (age 14), which would indicate that Patrick (born 1867) and Michael (born 1873) had died young — possible, but where are the death records?

Michael McNamara of Caher was likely the son of Michael McNamara, of Plot 12c in Caher townland, Inchicronan, in Griffith Valuation. Michael McNamara, of Ahish, single, son of Michael McNamara, married Hanora McMahon, of Parknavoda (sp?), daughter of Pat McMahon on 11 February 1871 at the Catholic chapel at Feakle by the Rev. Andrew Connellan; witnesses John McNamara, Catherine McMahon.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 161175.pdf

Honor McNamara, of Caher, married, 35 years old, died on 26 November 1881; informant Michael McNamara of Caher. Fourteen months later in February 1883 the widower Michael McNamara married Honora McMahon.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 843954.pdf

Sheila, the disappearance of Michael McNamara of Leighort More and four of his children remain a mystery.

I was very interested that you discovered that Margaret Walsh McNamara was originally from Kilnoe Parish. Good job determining that the “unofficial” Gurtalassa in Kilnoe (Bodyke) parish was part of the townland of Caherhurley. Margaret Walsh was age 22, the daughter of William McNamara, when she married in 1867, but I don't see any corresponding baptism record in Kilnoe Parish records (1832 - 1881).

This Margaret Walsh reminded me of Margaret Walsh Duncan (1867 - 1928), who was also from Kilnoe Parish, born in Ballinahinch, and the owner of the Continental Hotel in Atlantic City. My theory was that Margaret Walsh, the daughter of Patrick Walsh and Johanna McMahon of Ballinahinch, was also the granddaughter of Michael Walsh and Catherine McNamara. Michael Walsh, the land steward to Charles O'Callaghan, was travelling to Ennis on the morning of 30 October 1847 when he was fired upon near Maryfort and instantly killed. See newspaper clippings and Walsh family tree on page 27.

My theory was that Michael Walsh and Catherine McNamara were not only the parents of William Walsh baptized on 4 January 1839, but three other children born prior to the start of the Kilnoe baptism register in 1832: Edmond Walsh and Patrick Walsh, proven brothers, as well as Johanna Walsh who first married John Harrison and then James Halpin. William Walsh married Mary Minogue in 1876.

Several family trees on ancestry. com gave a differing view. That the William Walsh, son of Michael Walsh (deceased), who married Mary Minogue, was born in 1846 (no baptism record, based upon census and death record), and not 1839. And that this William Walsh was the brother of Jeremiah Walsh, son of Michael Walsh (? - ?) and Mary Minogue (1814 - 1888); "Darby" Walsh married Bridget Malone in 1878.

Civil marriage of William Walsh in 1876:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 089052.pdf
Civil marriage of Darby Walsh in 1878:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 060556.pdf

Both marriage records state that their father was Michael Walsh, but were they brothers?

I found the marriage of Michael Walsh of Ballyvannon and Mary Minogue of Revail in the Kilnoe parish register (1832 - 1883), as having married on 12 November 1853; witnesses John Minogue and John Egan. Less than two years later, was the birth of their first child, "Darby", for Jeremiah, of Newtown, baptized on 12 July 1855. The parents were reported as "William Walsh" and Mary Minogue, the father Michael Walsh was incorrectly recorded in the baptism register.

Since Michael Walsh and Mary Minogue were married in 1853, they could not also be the parents of a William Walsh born in 1846 (per family tree on ancestry, age according to census reports, not baptism records) or in 1839 (per baptism record).

Did William Walsh and Jeremiah Walsh have the same father, and different mother? Half-brothers?

From the civil marriage in 1876 of William Walsh, we know that his father, Michael Walsh, was deceased. Since the family trees on ancestry assume that Jeremiah Walsh was William's brother, than the death of Jeremiah's father Michael Walsh would be prior to 1876. There is no such death record prior to 1876, so the assumption would be that Michael Walsh died prior to the 1864 start of civil death records. There would be no reason to search the civil death records after 1876, and thus never discover that Michael Walsh, of Newtown, married, age 67 years, farmer, died on 23 March 1879; informant Darby Walsh, Newtown.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 875932.pdf

Michael Walsh, the father of William Walsh, was deceased prior to the marriage of William in 1876. Michael Walsh, the father of Jeremiah Walsh, died in 1879. Clearly, William Walsh and Jeremiah Walsh were not brothers. This does not prove that William Walsh was the son of Michael Walsh of Ballinahinch who was murdered in 1847, but it is good to eliminate a contradictory theory.

When Michael Walsh (1812 - 1879) and Mary Minogue (1814 - 1888) married in 1853, both were about 40 years old. Jeremiah Walsh was their only child. He was married to Bridget Malone in 1878, and later to Catherine Doyle, and was the father of 12 children. Sadly, the first grandchild of Michael Walsh of Newtown was born on 6 May 1879, only about six weeks after his death on 23 March 1879.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 am

Hi Jimbo,

Yes, it is easy to confuse the townlands of Caher (Rice), Caher (Power) and Caher (Murphy) in Feakle parish with the townland of Caher in Inchicronan parish, especially as the people in both places just gave Caher as their address, e.g. at the marriage of Patrick McNamara and his Mary Hayes nee Touhy in 1869 and at the death of Patrick in 1904 and the death of Mary in 1903 (all registered in Scarriff union).
Caher townland in Inchicronan parish is in the Tulla Union, but the baptisms took place in Crusheen Catholic parish. I looked at the baptisms and see that Michael McNamara and Mary McMahon, Ahish, had a daughter baptised in April 1880, but “Mary” is a mistake; she is Honor McMahon in the civil record. Ahish is not an official townland and seems to be part of Caher townland; the Tithe applotment book for Inchicronan show it as “Cahers & Ahish”. Another child of Michael (Mack) and Honor (first wife) was baptised on 3 Apr 1874; this time Honor is Honor; the name of the child is not clear, but I see from the registration of the birth that it was called John. Neither John, born 1874, nor the child born 1880 (Mary) are living home with Michael and his second wife in 1901. I did not find their deaths (some deaths registered in Tulla are listed under Galway), so it’s very possible they had left home by 1901. Unfortunately, there’s no list of emigrants included in the information for Inchicronan Parish (Crusheen): https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ronane.htm. The townland of Caher lies in a part of Inchicronan (Crusheen) commonly called Ballinruan, probably because there’s a church and there was a school in the nearby townland of Ballinruan, so an emigrant might describe themselves as being from Ballinruan, rather than from Crusheen.

You have done a good job of showing that William Walsh, husband of Mary Minogue, was not a brother of Jeremiah/Darby Walsh, husband of Bridget Malone, in spite of what other family trees are asserting.

Sheila

P.S. Having said that an emigrant might describe himself as from Ballinruan, I now find that Daniel McNamara, born 1889 (reg. in Tulla), to Michael McNamara and Honor McMahon, emigrated from Queenstown aboard SS Majestic, in 1909, giving his address as Cahir, Ballinruan, Crusheen, Co. Clare, going to sister Maria McNamara, 70 Sachem street, New Haven Connecticut (familysearch.org): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXYX-DMJ
According to the1911 census for Caher, Michael McNamara and Honor McMahon had only 6 children born to them, of whom all six are alive. Five were boys and there was one girl called Eliza. So I think Maria might be the daughter of the first Honor McMahon.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi Sheila,

Yes, there are several instances in County Clare where townlands share the same name and are confusing. Caher especially so. There is also a Caher townland in O'Gonnelloe DED (O'Gonnelloe Catholic Parish).

Thank you for the link to the "Townland Names of the County Clare" from "The History and Topography of County Clare" (published 1893) by James Frost (1819 - 1907) which was very enlightening. Frost starts off the article by stating how the prevailing opinion that Kilfarboy "has its name from Spanish sailors of the Armada who had been put to death upon their landing at Spanish Point in 1588" and then claims "Nothing is more incorrect".

A brief excerpt related to Upper Tulla and a few of the townlands mentioned in searching for the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree:
Barony of Upper Tulla

The northern part of this barony consists of high hills or rather mountains. In ancient times many of these were covered with woods, as their places would clearly imply. Thus, we find a great many places called derry and coill. We have . . . Derryfadda, the long [wood]; . . . Derryulk, the worthless [wood]; Derrymore, the great [wood]; . . . Glendree, the glen of the oak wood; Gortaderry, the field by the oak wood. Of woods consisting of birch and other trees a large number is found in this barony: these are Corbehagh, the hill side of the birch wood; . . . Kilgorey, called from its roughness (guaire); Kilanena, a wood situate near a marsh (eanach); . . .

In Upper Tulla barony we find an enormous predominance of place names derived from the situation, aspect, colour, and other features of the different localities. Cloonagro, the place of the sheep folds, (cro); . . . Ayle, signifying a cliff or glen, or sometimes a rock; . . . Caher and Carheen, from their stone forts; . . . Dooglaun, the dark valley; . . . Leaghort means a small tilled field; Lecarrow, a little division;

From animals and plants the following are named — . . . Liscullaun, a young cow; Rosslara, a mare; . . . There is a place called Uggoon, the meaning of which I do not well understand; it may signify the cave of the dogs (wadh con), but that is a rather far-fetched idea.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/053%20 ... pt%204.pdf
The Clare Library website link that you provided states that Glendree townland is "Gleann Daireach" in Irish, meaning "a wooded valley".

Last month when I quoted Yeats and his belief in Irish ghosts, I also mentioned that Glendree townland is "Gleann Draoi" in Irish, meaning the "Valley of the Druids". I could go back and edit this posting since "Nothing is more incorrect", but this is an important lesson not to use the website of a whiskey distillery, such as I did with Glendree Distillery, as a historical source:
https://glendreedistillery.ie/

A real estate video might appear to be an equally suspect source, but ended up as a lesson in the Irish language. In selling "Glendaree House", between the towns of Tulla and Feakle, a newly built house (back in 2011), the narrator states that Glendaree in Irish means "The Glen of the Two Kings". Just the slight variation of "Glendree" to "Glendaree" (Gleann an dá rí) does in fact change the meaning to "Glen of the Two Kings" (verified by google translate). Not sure who the two kings would refer to. Anyways, the best part of the nine minute youtube video, and why it's still on the internet, is the violin music performed by Martin Hayes, the nephew of Paddy Canny (the great grandson of John McNamara and Ellen McNamara of Curraghnatoo townland, see family tree on page 18).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16OsMO2fik
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Canny

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:23 pm

Hi Jimbo,

Yes, it seems the whole of the Sliabh Aughty uplands were, once upon a time, clothed in woodlands, and there are many place names (most did not make it into the 1842 map) which begin with “Derry “ (“Doire” = “oak wood”, or just “wood”), and I suspect that Glendree is the wooded valley rather than the glen of the druids, or glen of the two kings. In Sliabh Aughty Ramble, by Ger Madden, there is a reproduction of part of a map made by Thomas Johnson Westropp in 1909 (page 26) showing many of the Derrys (Derryhumma, Derryskeagh, Derrybeg, Derryfadda, Derryvet, Derrymore, Derryvoagh, Derryboy, Derrygarriff, etc., etc.) There’s more of the Sliabh Aughtys in South Galway than in Clare and there’s about 60 Derrys altogether. The northern part of Glendree is part of the Sliabh Aughty uplands; most maps, or satellite views fail to show height in a satisfactory way, but we can see by the direction the rivers flow in that that area (culminating in Maghera*) is a watershed, and if you buy a house up there you will have your head in the clouds.

* Gerard Madden explains that most of the Sliabh Aughty area does not reach the height necessary to qualify as “mountain”, i.e. 1000 feet, but Maghera is 1,312 feet.

Jimbo, the Wikipedia piece on Paddy Canny (in your posting above) mentions Teresa Tubridy as one of the founding members of the Tulla Céilí Band, and she is the daughter of John Tubridy, who sent the notation of some tunes to Francis O’Neill after his visit to Feakle in 1906 – see topic “Anna Rogers, 1849-1934, from Feakle, wife of Francis O’Neill”: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... 089#p14089
Teresa was born in 1915: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 559908.pdf

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:10 am

Hi Sheila,

I noticed that "Glendaree, Tulla" was the residence reported on the civil marriage record for Martin McNamara, son of Patrick McNamara and Kate McMahon, grandson of Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley (family tree on page 14), when he married Anne McMahon of Magherabaun at the Catholic chapel in Feakle on 10 February 1920. These McNamara's lived in Glendree in Plot 24 in Griffith Valuation. Not sure how common the usage of this term would be in the civil records:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 349565.pdf

I researched further the McNamara families of Caher townland of Crusheen parish. There are not so many in Crusheen parish compared to Tulla parish. Sheila, you were correct about Mary McNamara, who was living at 70 Sachem Street in New Haven, Connecticut, being the brother of the Daniel McNamara who arrived in 1909. On the same ship Majestic was another brother, Michael McNamara of "Ballyruan, Crusheen" who was going to yet another brother John McNamara of New Haven. The research revealed a complex web of family relationships and emigration from Ahish in Caher townland to New Haven.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXYX-8NB

The McNamara's of Ahish in Caher townland who left for New Haven appear to have been following in the footsteps of the Thomas Kinnare family. Thomas Kinnare ("Kinnear" in baptism register) and Ann Hinchy were the parents of seven children: John (1863), Mary (1864), Ellen (1866), Michael (1868), James (1871, civil only), Anne (1873, civil only), and Catherine (1879). For the five children that I could locate their baptism in the Crusheen baptisms (1860 - 1880), the residence was either Ahish or Caher.

Catherine "Kinnear" was baptized on 13 July 1879. The Thomas "Kinnase" family were living in New Haven in the 1880 USA census taken on 3 June 1880. The Kinnare family in 1880 included a James (age 10) and Ann (age 6), who I could not find in the Crusheen baptism register, but they are in the civil registration births.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MFCY-GF3

A very narrow window for the Thomas Kinnare family to emigrate to America, but I could not find them in the passenger listings. Not so many Irish families emigrated to America, single individuals were far more common, so I did a more general search for any "Catherine" born in 1879 who came to the USA in 1879 or 1880. On the second page of search results was "Kate Kinnale", age 0, who arrived on the Cunard steamer Olympus in New York on 8 September 1879 along with the entire Kinnare family:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPN-CJL5

Anne Hinchy Kinnare became a widow in 1886, "KINNARE—In this city, August 6, Thomas Kinnare, aged 42 years and 10 months" (The Morning Journal-Courier, New Haven, CT, 7 August 1886). In the 1900 census, the widow Anne Kinnare ("Cahine" by the census taker) was living at 130 Saltonstall Avenue with her daughter Kate, and four boarders, including three McNamara/Keehan cousins from Ahish. 130 Saltonstall Avenue appears to have been a "go to" location for emigrants from Crusheen. Her daughter Kate Kinnare born in Ahish would marry Martin McNamara of Ahish in 1907 in New Haven.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M97H-636

It was far easier to trace the McNamara families from Caher townland to the United States, than for the McNamara descendants to trace their roots back to Ireland. Sheila, the Mary McNamara of Crusheen Parish, who you mentioned in your earlier posting, married Patrick O'Gorman from Quin Parish in New Haven and had one son, Richard O'Gorman, and three granddaughters. Richard graduated from Hillhouse High School in New Haven in 1939 — he was secretary of the Stamp Club according to the school yearbook. There are two family trees on ancestry by either one of the three O'Gorman granddaughters or their descendants, but none have traced their McNamara and O'Gorman roots further back to County Clare. The same with the other McNamara families from Caher townland who settled in New Haven. I suspect that most American descendants of a McNamara or a McMahon would never make the attempt given how common the surnames are in County Clare.

Michael McNamara (≈1804 - 1880) of Caher Townland, Plot 12c Griffith Valuation, Inchicronan

Michael McNamara, of Ahish, farmer, married, 76 years old, died on 11 April 1880; informant Michael McNamara of Ahish (Galway registration).

The spouse of Michael McNamara (GV 12c) is unknown, however, her civil death record (between 1880 and 1901?) when discovered will provide her first name. And the informant might confirm whether or not Michael McNamara had been married more than once. Since the Crusheen Catholic baptism register doesn't start until 1860 and there is no historical marriage register, her maiden name will be difficult to ascertain. It is very likely that Michael and Mary McNamara had more than the three identified children who remained in Ireland. Perhaps other children immigrated to America and their death record might include both the names of father and mother.

Two sons and one daughter of Michael McNamara were born prior to the 1860 start of the Crusheen baptism register:

1.0 Martin McNamara (≈1834 - 1870), farmer, of Ahish, age 30, son of farmer Michael McNamara, married Bridget Vaughan (≈1844 - 1933), of Ballanruan, age 20, daughter of Denis Vaughan, on 12 February 1865, at the Catholic chapel at Crusheen, by the Rev. Edward O'Shaughnessy; witnesses Patrick McNamara, Mary Vaughan.

............ 1.1 Patrick McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 28 January 1866; sponsors Edmond and Margaret Vaughan. Immigration year reported as 1890 in 1900 census. Patrick McNamara ("age 31") was living with wife Catherine ("age 29"), they had been married for three years, with their infant son Joseph, at 237 James Street in New Haven in the 1900 census, along with brother John McNamara ("age 30") and two boarders. One of the "boarders", Laurence Hannon ("age 21"), was in fact Patrick's brother-in-law. Catherine Haneen (baptized 28 Nov 1869) and Laurence Haneen (baptized 1 February 1878) were the children of Laurence Haneen and Sarah Sexton of Shraheen townland (Quin Clooney baptisms 1855 - 1880). The other boarder, Susie O'Gorman ("age 20"), was the sister-in-law of Patrick's first cousin Mary McNamara O'Gorman. Patrick McNamara was a motorman for a trolley company; the McNamara family were living at Atwater Street in New Haven for the 1920 through 1940 census years.
......................... 1.1.1 Joseph McNamara (age 20 in 1920 census)
......................... 1.1.2 John McNamara (age 19 in 1920 census)
......................... 1.1.3 Mary McNamara (age 16 in 1920 census)
......................... 1.1.4 Edmund McNamara (age 11 in 1920 census)
......................... 1.1.5 Harold McNamara (age 8 in 1920 census)
......................... 1.1.6 Mildred McNamara (age 6 in 1920 census)

............ 1.2 John McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 2 February 1868; sponsors Michael McNamara and Bessy Quinn. Immigration year reported as 1888 or 1890 in census reports. In the 1900 census, John McNamara ("age 30") was living with his brother Patrick McNamara in New Haven. John McNamara married Nellie Malone on 24 April 1901 in New Haven. In the 1910 census, John McNamara ("age 39") was living at James Street with his wife "Hannah" (age 34, "Helen" in subsequent census reports), their two children, his cousin Michael McNamara ("age 23"), as well as two boarders: Dennis Hynes (age 35) and Michael Reynolds (age 31). Most "boarders" in New Haven end up being relatives, and they are likely maternal first cousins. Dennis Hynes was born in 1875, the son of Patt Hynes and Margaret Vaughan; Michael Reynolds was born in 1879, the son of Pat Reynolds and Kate Vaughan; both from Gortaniska townland, Crusheen Catholic parish records. Connecticut records are not the best to confirm the maiden name of "Helen McNamara". However, on the McNamara headstone at St Lawrence cemetery in West Haven underneath "1868 - John - 1951" is engraved "His Wife, 1873 Helen Malone 1957" : https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/170 ... n-mcnamara
......................... 1.2.1 Mary Helen McNamara (1903 -1903, per above website)
......................... 1.2.2 Edward McNamara (age 17 in 1920 census)
......................... 1.2.3 Catherine "Veronica" McNamara (age 14 in 1920 census)

............ 1.3 Martin McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 16 March 1871; sponsors Mick McNamara and Maggie Vaughan. In the 1900 census, Martin McNamara (age 21) was reported as a boarder at 130 Saltonstall Avenue in New Haven, CT, the home of the widow Ann Kinnare; other boarders included his half-brother Thomas Keehan (age 20) and cousin John McNamara (age 23). By the 1910 census, Martin McNamara was still living at 130 Saltonstall Avenue, but Anne Kinnare was now his mother-in-law; Martin McNamara and Katherine Kinnare were married in New Haven on 11 June 1907. They don't appear to have had any children. In the 1920 census, Catherine Kinnare McNamara was still living at 130 Saltonstall Avenue, she was reported as "married", but was a widow, as correctly reported in the 1920 city directory for New Haven. According to Connecticut Headstone Inscriptions (Vol 33), Martin McNamara, born 1872, died 1917. Catherine McNamara, wife of Martin, born 1882, died 1932. Both are buried at St. Bernard cemetery in New Haven.

Martin McNamara, Sr., died in late 1870 at the age of 35 years (civil registration not yet available on-line). He was reported as "deceased" on the civil birth record of his son Martin McNamara, Jr., born in March 1871. The widow, Bridget Vaughan [McNamara] (≈1844 - 1933), age 34, daughter of farmer Denis Vaughan (dead), married Thomas Keehan (≈1835 - 1910), age 32, labourer, of Ahish, son of farmer Patrick Keehan (dead), on 9 February 1875 at the Catholic chapel at Crusheen, by the Rev. Peter Meade; witnesses John Keehan and Bridget Vaughan (Ennis registration). Thomas Keehan, of Ahish, farmer, age 75 years, married, died on 17 February 1910; informant his son Thomas Keehan. <Caher, Caher, House 7, House 15> Bridget Keehan, of Ahish, widow of a farmer, age 92 years, died on 9 August 1933; informant grandson Thomas Keehan.

Bridget Vaughan and Thomas Keehan were the parents of four children:

............ 1.4 Mary Keehan, of Ahish, baptized on 21 November 1875; sponsors Michael Vaughan and Mary Vaughan. Not living with family in 1901 Irish census. When her brother Thomas Keehan arrived in New York in 1899, his contact was "sister" living at 337 James Street in New Haven. Mary was the only sister of Thomas Keehan. Not much detail on the passenger listing, but there is a strong chance that she was the Mary Keehan, "age 17", who left Queenstown on the SS Germanic arriving in New York on 15 June 1894, her destination was New Haven. There are many Keehan families from Crusheen who settled in New Haven, so there are a few options for Mary in the 1900 census, but then she goes missing. Her brother Thomas returned to County Clare and got married, perhaps Mary also went back? Mary Keehan, of Ahish, "age 28", daughter of farmer Thomas Keehan, married Thomas Hinchey, of Derrycaliff, age 34, son of farmer Michael Hinchey, on 3 August 1906 at the Catholic chapel at Ballinruan by the Rev. Edward Vaughan, witnesses John Mason (sp?) and Bridget Walsh. <Derrycalliff, Toberbreeda, House 20, House 10>
......................... 1.4.1 Bridget Hinchy (age 3 in 1911 census), <Derrycalliff, Toberbreeda, x, House 10>
......................... 1.4.2 Mary Hinchy (age 1 in 1911 census), <Derrycalliff, Toberbreeda, x, House 10>

............ 1.5 Michael Keehan, of Ahish, baptized on 2 July 1878; sponsors Patt Hynes and Mary Keehan. Michael Keehan, of Ahish, age 10 months, died on 2 May 1879; informant Bridget Keehan (Galway registration).

............ 1.6 Thomas Keehan, of Ahish, baptized on 6 January 1880; sponsors Patrick Quinn and (?) Hanrahan. Thomas Keehan, of Crusheen, age 19, arrived in New York on 13 April 1899 on the SS Teutonic; going to sister at "337" James Street, New Haven (address of the McNamara's?). Thomas was travelling with "Lance Hannon", age 19, from Cloona, going to his sister Mary in New Haven; Laurence Haneen was the brother of Catherine Haneen McNamara of 237 James Street. In the 1900 USA census, Thomas Keehan was reported as a boarder at 130 Saltonstall Avenue in New Haven, CT, the home of the widow Ann Kinnare; other boarders included his cousins Martin McNamara (age 21) and John McNamara (age 23). High likely that he was the Thomas Keehan, age 25, occupation motorman, who returned to Queenstown on 8 October 1903 on the Carpathia (UK and Ireland Incoming Passenger Lists). On 8 February 1910 Thomas Keehan, of Ahish, son of farmer Thomas Keehan, married Mary Keely, of Corbeha, daughter of John Keely, at the Catholic chapel at Killanena; witnesses Edward Vaughan and Bridget Keely. <Caher, Caher, x, House 15>
......................... 1.6.1 Thomas Keehan (age 0 in 1911 census), <Caher, Caher, x, House 15> Thomas was informant on death record for grandmother Bridget Vaughan McNamara Keehan in 1933.

............ 1.7 Michael Keehan, born on 28 May 1882; cannot locate civil birth record. Source was the Crusheen Parish baptismal register, 1860 - 1900, nicely typed and sorted by family group, available on ancestry. <Caher, Caher, House 7, x> Whereabouts after 1901 are unknown.

2.0 Michael McNamara (≈1836 - 1922), of Ahish, single, son of Michael McNamara, married Hanora McMahon (≈1846 - 1881), of Parknavoda (sp?), daughter of Pat McMahon on 11 February 1871 at the Catholic chapel at Feakle by the Rev. Andrew Connellan; witnesses John McNamara, Catherine McMahon.

............ 2.1 John McNamara, of Ahish, born on 1 April 1874 (Tulla civil registration), baptized on 3 April 1874 (Crusheen Catholic baptism, father reported as "Mack", child's name not recorded); sponsors Michael Mack and Margaret Mack. In the 1900 census, John McNamara ("age 23") was reported as a boarder at 130 Saltonstall Avenue in New Haven, CT, the home of the widow Ann Kinnare; other boarders included his cousins Martin McNamara (age 21) and Thomas Keehan (age 20). John McNamara married Elizabeth "Bessie" Lyons (born in Ireland about 1884) in New Haven on 19 November 1906. Family moved often in New Haven: Monroe Street (1910), Poplar Street (1920), Woolsley Street (1930), and Ferry Avenue (1940). John's brother Daniel McNamara (age 28) was living with the family in 1920. John McNamara's year of arrival in the USA was reported as 1898 in the 1910 census. But in the 1940 census, he was still reported as an "alien", so there would not be any naturalization papers in CT that might provide the arrival date and what ship he had taken to America.
......................... 2.1.1 Catherine McNamara (age 12 in 1920 census)
......................... 2.1.2 John McNamara (age 9 in 1920 census)
......................... 2.1.3 Francis McNamara (age 7 in 1920 census)
......................... 2.1.4 Edmund McNamara (age 5 in 1920 census)
......................... 2.1.5 Walter McNamara (age 3 in 1920 census)
......................... 2.1.6 Mary McNamara (age 0 in 1920 census)
......................... 2.1.7 Anna McNamara (age 8 in 1930 census)

............ 2.2 Mary McNamara, of Ahish, born on 15 April 1880 (Tulla civil registration), baptized on 16 April 1880 (Crusheen Catholic register, mother reported as "Mary MacMahon" in error); sponsors Patrick McNamara, Maria McNamara. In 1910 census, Maria McNamara (age 28) was a live-in domestic servant for Caroline K Eaton (age 64) at 70 Satchem Street in New Haven; this was the contact address when brother Daniel McNamara arrived in the USA in 1909. Marie McNamara married Patrick O'Gorman in New Haven on 5 July 1911. The WWI registration card for Patrick O'Gorman stated an address at 165 James Street in New Haven, occupation "policeman" (in fact, a security guard) for the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, and his birth date as 17 March 1874. Patrick O'Gorman must be the Patrick born on 17 March 1873 to Richard O'Gorman and Anne Heffernan of Cloonagowan townland in Inchicronan civil parish (per Quin Clooney baptisms of 1855 - 1880). His sister, Susan O'Gorman ("age 20"), was living with Mary's first cousin, Patrick McNamara, at 237 James Street in the 1900 census; Susan was baptized on 28 September 1877. Another sister, Annie O'Gorman, age 20, arrived in New York on the SS Servia on 1 June 1898; her American contact was "cousin" Patrick McNamara of 237 James Street in New Haven; the baptism sponsors for Annie O'Gorman on 9 July 1876 were Laurence Haneen and his wife, the parents of Catherine Haneen who would marry Patrick McNamara of 237 James Street. In the 1920 census, Patrick and Maria O'Gorman were living at Wolcott Street in New Haven with Maria's brother Michael McNamara ("age 32").
......................... 2.2.1 Richard Joseph O'Gorman, born in New Haven on 27 February 1922 per WWII registration.

Honor McNamara, of Caher, married, 35 years old, died on 26 November 1881; informant Michael McNamara of Caher. On 3 February 1883, Michael McNamara (≈1836 - 1922), widower, farmer, of Caher, son of farmer Michael McNamara, married Honora McMahon (≈1855 - 1920), spinster, of Acres, daughter of farmer Michael McMahon at the Catholic chapel at Kilanena by the Rev. James Clancy, C.C.; witnesses John McNamara and John McMahon. <Caher, Caher, House 6, House 14> Norah McNamara, of Ahish, 65 years, wife of a farmer, died on 27 September 1920; informant son James McNamara. Michael McNamara, of Ahish, farmer, 85 years, widower, died on 19 February 1922; informant daughter Lizzie McNamara (Scariff registration).

............ 2.3 Patrick McNamara (age 16 in 1901 census) <Caher, Caher, House 6, House 14>

............ 2.4 Michael McNamara, of Ahish, born on 25 April 1887 (age 14 in 1901 census) <Caher, Caher, House 6, x> Michael McNamara, age 21, from Crusheen, arrived in New York on the SS Majestic on 29 April 1909; father Michael McNamara of Ballyruan, Crusheen; USA contact reported as brother John McNamara at 286 James Street in New Haven (a different address had been crossed out; James Street was likely the address of his cousin, also named John McNamara). In 1910 census, Michael McNamara (age 23) was living with his cousin, John McNamara, on James Street in New Haven. In 1920 census, Michael McNamara (age 32) was living with sister and brother-in-law, Maria and Patrick O'Gorman, on Wolcott Street in New Haven, Connecticut. For his WWII registration in 1942, Michael McNamara reported his birth date as 22 April 1888 (same as for WWI) and home address was 330 West Division Street in New Haven, the same address as 1940 census where he was living with wife Mary McNamara (age 48, Irish born) and two children. A Michael McNamara married a "Mary Dennehy" in New Haven on 21 April 1921 per CT marriage index.
......................... 2.4.1 Marion McNamara (age 16 in 1940 census)
......................... 2.4.2 Edward McNamara (age 12 in 1940 census)

............ 2.5 Daniel McNamara (age 12 in 1901 census) <Caher, Caher, House 6, x> Daniel McNamara, age 20, laborer, from Crusheen, arrived in New York on the SS Majestic on 29 April 1909; father Michael McNamara of Cahir, Ballinruan, Crusheen, Co. Clare; USA contact reported as sister Maria McNamara, 70 Sachem street, New Haven. In the 1920 census Daniel was living with brother John McNamara and his large family on Poplar Street in New Haven. Married to Helen "Nellie" Murphy (age 43 in 1930, born in Connecticut). Daniel J. McNamara was a street car conductor, and living on Lloyd Street in the 1930 census.
......................... 2.5.1 Daniel W. McNamara (age 5 in 1930 census)

............ 2.6 Martin McNamara (age 11 in 1901 census) <Caher, Caher, House 6, House 14>

............ 2.7 James McNamara (age 8 in 1901 census) <Caher, Caher, House 6, House 14> Informant on death record for mother in 1920.

............ 2.8 Elizabeth McNamara, (age 5 in 1901 census) <Caher, Caher, House 6, House 14> Informant on death record for father in 1922.

3.0 Mary McNamara (≈1846 - 1876), of Ahish, age 20, daughter of Michael McNamara, married Patrick Donohoe (1834 - 1917), of Ballinlisheen, "age 23", son of Owen Donohoe on 2 March 1867 at the Catholic chapel at Crusheen by the Rev. Edward O'Shaughnessy; witnesses Michael Roach and Judy McNamara (Ennis registration). Patrick Donohoe, whose reported age on civil marriage and census records varied widely, was born in 1834 (consistent with 1911 census), the son of Owen Donohoe and Mary Cahir (age 96 in 1901); sponsors John Donohoe and Sara Donohoe (Tubreedy / Kildeedy parish register).

The Tubreedy (Kilkeedy) parish baptism register (1833 -1881) has missing pages between 1866 and 1870 according to the transcriber notes (thank you Paddy Casey and Diane Culhane). In addition, "the baptism records 1875-1881 are barely legible and some names and dates cannot be transcribed". I reviewed the Tubreedy baptism register, and there were no good options for the baptism of any child of Patrick Donohue and Mary McNamara.

There is a possibility that Patrick Donohue and Mary McNamara, after their marriage in 1867, had left Tubreedy parish for their own farm, and only returned upon the death of Patrick's father, Owen Donohue, who died in Ballinlisheen on 29 February 1876 at the age of 65 years.

............ 3.1 Bridget O'Donohue, of Ballinlisheen, Kilkeedy, was born on 31 December 1876; informant Patt Donohue (Corofin registration; transcription as "Bridge", correction submitted). Unknown baptism record; the Tubreedy (Kilkeedy) baptism register has no baptisms between 15 October 1876 and 19 January 1877. <Ballinlisheen, Muckannagh, House 107, x> Immigrated to USA about 1902 according to census reports and a later 1922 passenger listing. In the 1910 census, Delia Donohoe was a live-in servant, age 24 (in fact, age 33), at the rectory of Holy Name Catholic Cathedral at Superior Street in Chicago. In the 1920 census, "Della" Donohue was a live-in servant, age 35 (in fact, age 43), at the rectory of St. Bernard Catholic Church at 6550 Harvard Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago. Bridget Donahue, age 46 (≈ correct!), domestic, of Ballinlishee, Co. Clare, was a passenger departing Queenstown on the SS Cedric on 28 May 1922 (UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Listings). Bridget Donahue, age 46, born in Tubber, Co. Clare, arrived in New York on the SS Celtic on 11 December 1922; her Irish contact was brother Patrick Donahue of Ballinlisheen, Tubber, Co. Clare; her USA contact was sister Mrs. Anne Hyde [typo, should be "Hynes"] of 2536 Lowe Ave., Chicago; she had previously lived in Chicago between 1902/1920. Unknown location in 1930. In the 1940 census, Delia Donahue (age 63) was living with her sister Anna Hynes (age 59) at 2714 W. 61st street in Chicago. Delia Donohue died on 28 February 1955; reported birth of 1 January 1883 (off 6 years) in County Clare; father reported as "Michael Donohue" by nephew, John Hynes, in error; mother left blank:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVRN-N49F

Mary (McNamara) Donohue, of Ballinlisheen, Kilkeedy, married, age 29 years, wife of a farmer, died on 31 December 1876; informant Patrick Donohue (Corofin registration). The widower, Pat O'Donohoe (1834 - 1917), of Ballinasheel, age 30 years, son of farmer Owen Donohoe, married Margaret Walsh (≈1853 - 1882), of Knockroe, age 24 years, daughter of James Walsh, on 28 February 1878 at the Catholic chapel at Kiltoraght by the parish priest Michael Crowe; witnesses Michael O'Donohoe and Bridget Harkins (Corofin registration). The Catholic marriage record was in Kilfenora / Kiltoraght parish (1865 - 1880, transcribed by Sheila).

............ 3.2 Patrick O'Donohue, of Ballinlisheen, born on 4 March 1879 (Corofin registration), baptized on 4 March 1879; the witness and officiating page from the Tubreedy (Kilkeedy) baptism register has gone missing for this time period. <Ballinlisheen, Muckannagh, House 107, House 6> Patrick O'Donohue and Nora Brogan of Ballinlisheen were the parents of at least three children starting in December 1913 (Corofin civil registration); but unknown civil marriage record (likely an unusual transcription). Nora O'Donohue was the informant for father-in-law's death record in 1917.

............ 3.3 Anne Donohue, no baptism record, no civil birth record. Anne Donohue was the sister of Bridget Donohue identified as such in three sources (1) the return to the USA of Bridget Donahue in a 1922 passenger listing, (2) the 1940 census in Chicago, (3) the 1952 obituary of Anna Hynes. The birth year on her USA marriage record and later census reports would indicate that Anne was born about 1881 or 1882. The death certificate completed by her son, John Hynes, perhaps with the assistance of his aunt Bridget Donohue, gave a birth date of 7 June 1879 and parents of Patrick Donahue and Margaret Welch. June 1880 or June 1881 would have been possible given the births of brothers Patrick in 1879 and Michael in 1882.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M4-NS5G

Annie Donohue, age 24, married Thomas Hynes, age 26, in Chicago on 29 November 1905. In 1910, Thomas (age 38) and Annie (age 28) Hynes ("Heyner" per census taker) were living at 2731 Shields Avenue with their two children. The WWI registration for Thomas Hynes reported a birth date of 24 June 1877, born in Ireland, address of 2536 Lowe Avenue; occupation of stationary fireman for the Conrad Seipp Brewing Company, the largest brewery in Chicago. Thomas Hynes died on 7 September 1919 in a horrific accident at the Conrad Seipp Brewing factory when his leg got caught in a brewery machine (Chicago Tribune, 8 September 1919). His tragic death left Annie Donohue Hynes a widow with five young children and a sixth child on the way. The Hynes family moved from 2536 Lowe Avenue (1920), to 6156 S. Peoria (1930), and finally to 2714 W. 61st Street (1940). Annie's sister Bridget Donahue was living with the family in 1940. The 1952 obituary for Anna Hynes, nee Donahue, stated "fond sister of Delia Donahue" (Chicago Tribune, 14 July 1952).
......................... 3.3.1 Mary Hynes (age 13 in 1920 census)
......................... 3.3.2 John Hynes (age 12 in 1920 census)
......................... 3.3.3 Francis Hynes (age 11 in 1920 census)
......................... 3.3.4 William Hynes (age 5 in 1920 census)
......................... 3.3.5 Veronica Hynes (age 3 in 1920 census)
......................... 3.3.6 Virginia Hynes (age 0 in 1920 census)

............ 3.4 Michael O'Donohue, of Ballinlisheen, born on 10 July 1882 (Corofin registration) <Ballinlisheen, Muckannagh, House 107, x> Appears to have lived in Chicago at least for a short period. A Michael Donohue, fireman, was living at 2731 Shields Avenue in the 1911 Chicago City Directory, the same address as Thomas Hynes and Anne Donohue Hynes in the 1910 census.

Margaret (Walsh) Donohoe, of Ballinlisheen, Kilkeedy, married, age 32 years, wife of a farmer, died on 13 July 1882; informant husband Patrick Donohoe (Corofin registration). Patrick Donohue (1834 - 1917), in the 1901 and 1911 census was married to a "Mary" (≈1851 - after 1917), but unknown marriage record. The "years married" and "children born" questions were left blank in the 1911 census. <Ballinlisheen, Muckannagh, House 107, House 6> Patrick O'Donohue, of Ballinlisheen in Kilkeedy, farmer, married, 82 years old, died on 14 April 1917; informant daughter-in-law Nora O'Donohue of Ballinlisheen (Corofin registration).

Thomas McNamara of Caher Townland, Plot 12d Griffith Valuation, Inchicronan

The spouse of Thomas McNamara (GV 12d) was the Mary McNamara, of Ahish, widow of a farmer, age 76 years, who died on 1 February 1887; informant daughter-in-law Susan McNamara of Ahish (Tulla/Galway registration).

Thomas McNamara of Plot 12d, who died prior to 1887, might be the 58 year old Thomas McNamara who died in 1869 in the Tulla registration district (on-line record not available). However, none of the marriage records for his children reported their father as deceased.

The Crusheen Catholic baptism register doesn't start until 1860 and there is no historical marriage register, so the maiden name of Mary McNamara (≈1811 - 1887) is unknown.

Two sons of Thomas and Mary McNamara were born prior to the 1860 start of the Crusheen baptism register:

1.0 Patrick McNamara (≈1831 - 1924), farmer, of Ahish, age 35, son of farmer Thomas McNamara, married Mary Walsh (≈1846 - 1925), of Ballanruan, age 20, daughter of Edmond Walsh, on 31 January 1866, at the Catholic chapel at Ballanruan, by the Rev. Edward O'Shaughnessy; witnesses Michael McNamara, Bridget Benson (Tulla civil registration). <Ballinruan, Caher, House 8, House 12>

............ 1.1 Bridget McNamara, of Ballinruan, baptized on 27 January 1867, father reported as "Michael McNamara" in error *; sponsors Michael Hogan, Bridget Benson. ** Chicago
............ 1.2 Martin McNamara, of Ballinruan, baptized on 8 November 1868, sponsors Michael Quinn, Bridget Benson. A Martin McNamara died in 1868 at the age of 0 (Tulla registration not yet available online). In the 1911 census, the McNamara's reported that they were the parents of 7 children and 6 were living.
............ 1.3 Eliza McNamara, of Ballinruan, baptized on 16 December 1869, sponsors John McNamara, Winifred Walsh. ** Chicago
............ 1.4 Julia McNamara, of Ballinruan, baptized on 13 November 1871, sponsors Michael Kelly, Mary Halloran. <Ballinruan, Caher, House 8, x> ** Chicago
............ 1.5 Michael McNamara, of Ballinruan, baptized on 30 July 1873, father reported as "Pat Mack", sponsor Michael Carney, Hannah Quin. ** Chicago
............ 1.6 Thomas McNamara, of Ballinruan, born on 2 November 1874 (Tulla civil registration), unknown baptism record. <Ballinruan, Caher, House 8, House 12>
............ 1.7 Patrick McNamara, of Ballinruan, born on 20 December 1876 (Tulla civil registration), unknown baptism record. ** Chicago

* the typed document Crusheen Baptism register (1860 - 1900), sorted by family group, repeats the error that the father was "Michael McNamara" for all subsequent baptisms through 1873.

** UPDATE: children of Patrick McNamara and Mary Walsh are well documented on a family tree on ancestry (subscription required). Five McNamara children left Ireland for Chicago:
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 2256900573

2.0 John McNamara (≈1836 - 1915), farmer, of Ahish, age 30 (≈1847, understated based upon death record), son of farmer Thomas McNamara, married Susan Hassett (≈1853 - after 1915), of Barefield, age 25, daughter of James Hassett, on 21 February 1878, at the Catholic chapel at Barefield, by the Rev. Jeremiah Vaughan; witnesses Bridget Hassett and Thomas Hanrahan (Ennis civil registration). Six children born and living per 1911 census. <Caher, Caher, House 8, House 16> John McNamara, of Cahir, married, 78 years (≈1836), died on 13 January 1915; informant son Pat McNamara.
............ 2.1 Michael McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 23 August 1879; sponsors John Hanrahan, Ellen Hassett. <Caher, Caher, House 8, x>
............ 2.2 Patrick McNamara, baptized on 2 March 1881. <Caher, Caher, House 8, House 16>
............ 2.3 John McNamara, baptized on 24 May 1883. <Caher, Caher, House 8, x>
............ 2.4 Maria McNamara, baptized on 25 May 1885. <Caher, Caher, House 8, House 16>
............ 2.5 Thomas McNamara, baptized on 27 January 1888. <Caher, Caher, House 8, x>
............ 2.6 Ellen McNamara, baptized on 2 May 1894. <Caher, Caher, House 8, House 16> Informant on death record for uncle Patrick McNamara in 1924.

UPDATE:
Four daughters of Thomas and Mary McNamara of Ahish, who were born prior to the 1860 start of the Crusheen baptism register, are well documented on a family tree on ancestry (subscription required):
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 2256900573
Summarized below using civil marriage records and 1901 census:

1) Bridget McNamara (age 27) married James McNamara of Curracloon (Feakle) on 3 February 1866:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 239035.pdf
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1085311/

2) Judy McNamara (age 24) married Patrick Guerin of Derrycaliff on 22 February 1869:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 191720.pdf
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... f/1087155/

3) Margaret McNamara (age 24) married Thomas Hogan of Derrycaliff on 19 February 1879:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 046427.pdf
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... f/1087158/

4) Anne McNamara (age 22) married James Halloran of Lurigan (sp?) on 13 February 1872:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 145686.pdf

Patrick McNamara of Caher Townland, Plot 12b Griffith Valuation, Inchicronan

Patrick McNamara of Plot 12b was likely the informant and husband of :
Mary McNamara, of Ahish, married, age 65 years, farmer's wife, died on 11 March 1876 (Tulla civil registration), informant Patrick McNamara.

There is no record to show that the Patrick McNamara, born about 1839, who lived in Ahish and was married to Bridget McCaul, was the son of the Patrick McNamara of Plot 12b; this is only a theory based somewhat on process of elimination. The death record for Patrick McNamara of Plot 12b (between 1876 and 1901?) might provide the missing evidence.

1.0 Patrick McNamara (≈1839 - 1921) and Bridget McCaul (≈1839 - 1923) had been married 48 years according to the 1911 census, so about 1862. This is prior to the start of civil marriage records and Crusheen Parish has no marriage records from this period. Patrick McNamara and Bridget McCaul were the parents of five children (four living) according to the 1911 census, but only three can be found in Crusheen parish records. <Caher, Caher, House 4, House 13> Patrick McNamara, of Caher, married, aged 78, farmer, died on 20 May 1921; informant son Michael McNamara of Caher. Bridget McNamara, of Ahish, widow, aged 86, died on 22 January 1923; informant Bridget McCaul of Ballinruan.

............ 1.1 Mary McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 12 February 1864; sponsors John McCaul, Catherine Keehan.
............ 1.2 John McNamara, no baptism record, age 35 in 1901, age 47 in 1911. <Caher, Caher, House 4, House 13>
............ 1.3 Pat McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 6 April 1868; sponsors Pat Hanrahan, Ann McNamara. <Caher, Caher, House 4, House 13>
............ 1.4 Michael McNamara, of Ahish, baptized on 1 September 1871; sponsors Patt Keehan, Kate Keehan.
............ 1.5 James McNamara, no baptism record, age 30 in 1901. <Caher, Caher, House 4, x> James McNamara, of Cahir, bachelor, age 36 years, carpenter, died on 20 August 1905; informant John Frost coroner (Galway registration).

Edits (8/27): Caher, Plot 12c: Bridget Vaughan 2nd marriage; Mary McNamara daughter of Michael McNamara of Ahish. Caher, Plot 12d: new info including four daughters of Thomas McNamara of Ahish, link to ancestry research. Caher, Plot 12b: new info including death record details. Edits (9/3): Caher, Plot 12c: death records of Michael McNamara in 1880 and Patrick O'Donohue in 1917. Caher Plot 12d: death record of Mary McNamara in 1887, widow of Thomas McNamara.
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:56 am

Hi Jimbo,

Wonderful work. You say it’s far easier to trace from Ireland to the U.S. than from the U.S. to Ireland, but what you have done here represents a huge amount of work. I’m pleased that you have confirmed that Mary McNamara is from the family of the first Honora McMahon (Michael McNamara’s second wife was also called Honora McMahon). Good work on the O’Gorman-McNamara-Haneen connections. And great that you found Mary’s brother John also. I did not expect you to follow up on those McNamaras.

Good work finding Kate Kinnale aged 0, and then the whole Kinnare family.

You have done a marvelous job of finding the children of Bridget Vaughan’s first family by her marriage to Martin McNamara. Yes indeed you are right in saying that Martin died prior to the birth of his son Martin in 1871, as the registrar helpfully wrote “deceased” after Martin’s name. The record of the marriage of Bridget McNamara née Vaughan to Thomas Keehan is registered, but the priest gives her maiden name only and writes that she is a widow, when really he should give her married name and indicate her maiden name when stating the name of her father. I have come across a couple of instances of that (unhelpful) kind. Anyway the record tells us that Bridget was the daughter of Denis Vaughan, and that Thomas was the son of Patrick Keehan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 103371.pdf

Good work finding the children of Bridget Vaughan’s second marriage and especially the return of Mary Keehan to Ireland and her marriage to Thomas Hinchey.

Good work on Thomas McNamara and his sons Patrick and John.

And good work on Patrick McNamara and Bridget McCaul. Here are the records of their deaths:
20 May 1921, Caher: Death of Patrick McNamara, married, aged 78, Farmer; informant: Michael McNamara, son of deceased, Caher.
22 Jan 1923, Ahish: Death of Bridget McNamara, widow, aged 86: informant Bridget McCaul, Ballinruan.

Jimbo, you may have noticed that there are a couple of Sheedy mothers in the Crusheen baptisms. These Sheedys are from a Sheedy family in the townland of Carrowdotia, in the civil parish of Kilraghtis (Catholic parish: Doora-Barefield), who consistently give their surname as Sheedy. Margaret Sheedy, Carhudotia, daughter of Pat Sheedy, married Patrick Hanrahan, Ballanruan, on 14 Jun 1870, and Bridget Sheedy, Carhudotia, daughter of Pat Sheedy, married John Loughrey, son of Cornelius Loughrey, on 2 Mar 1867. So they are not to be confused with the Ballinruan McNamaras. Nevertheless, on two occasions these Sheedy women are recorded as McNamara: the record of the birth of Mary Hanrahan in 1871 gives her mother as Margaret McNamara (Tulla reg); and the record of the birth of Cornelius Loughrey* in 1870 gives his mother as Bridget McNamara (likewise the records of the births of Daniel Loughrey in 1873 and Mary Loughrey in 1877). (A Connor Loughrey is mentioned in the Ellen O’Neill letters. See letter 2.: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... etters.htm)

Jimbo, getting back to the work you have done on the Ahish McNamaras, I must say again that it is really wonderful work.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:17 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for that feedback. Especially for the discovery of the civil marriage of Bridget Vaughan McNamara to Thomas Keehan in 1875. I had searched using both "McNamara" and "Vaughn", your discovery highlights that my prior posting using "Vaughn" throughout the family tree was a careless mistake on my part, which I've now corrected. I suspect that I also mispronounce the surname Vaughan in my head. For their 1875 marriage record, I've submitted a correction to irishgenealogy for the current transcription of "Thomas Kuhan".

Thank you also for the discovery of the death records for Patrick McNamara and Bridget McCaul, which I've now updated. For the McNamara families from Plot 12b and Plot 12d, I only did a minimal amount of research in order to makes sense of the McNamara family of Plot 12c. There are still quite a few open questions about the identity of Patrick McNamara (≈1839 - 1921) married to Bridget McCaul (≈1839 - 1923).

I've now updated the death records for the McNamara families of Plot 12b, the sons of Thomas McNamara. In doing so, I discovered a family tree on ancestry for Patrick McNamara (≈1831 - 1924) married to Mary Walsh (≈1846 - 1925) of Ballinruan. This is a well-documented "mega" family tree with 16,000 + members. The ancestry member's primary interests include his surname "Cagney", the surname "Loughery" and the location Ballinruan. Neither the surname McNamara or Caher townland are the focus. Thus, John McNamara of Caher townland, the brother of Patrick McNamara of Ballinruan, is only included with an estimated birth year.
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 0573/facts

What is impressive is that Mr. Cagney has identified four daughters of Thomas McNamara of Ahish who married and then scattered to nearby parishes. Crusheen Parish has no marriage register on-line, or elsewhere I'm assuming, so he must have searched the civil records in Ennis parish for all McNamara's to make these discoveries. I now reference the ancestry family tree in my prior posting and provide links to the four civil marriages and where the McNamara daughters ended up in the 1901 census.

In providing the links to the civil marriage records, I was surprised that the marriage of Margaret McNamara to Thomas Hogan, had a father reported as James McNamara and not Thomas McNamara of Ahish. A very rookie mistake for such a well documented family tree which did not make sense. Going back to ancestry, the Cagney family tree provided a warning message about this. Within just a few days in 1879 there were two marriages of a Margaret McNamara to a Thomas Hogan:

19 February 1879 in Ennis parish: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 046427.pdf
23 February 1879 in Scariff parish: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 050143.pdf

For the descendants of Michael McNamara of Ahish, Caher Plot 12c, I had discovered only two sons: Martin McNamara (≈1834 - 1870) and Michael McNamara (≈1836 - 1922). Where had all the daughters gone? Mary McNamara was the baptism sponsor for the Mary McNamara baptized in 1880 (the same Mary who was living at Sachem Street in New Haven). On 2 March 1867, Mary McNamara, of Ahish, daughter of farmer Michael McNamara, married Patrick Donohue of Ballinlisheen at the Catholic chapel at Crusheen:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 223505.pdf

It would have been easy to assume that in the 1901 census for Ballinlisheen townland in Kilkeedy (Muckannagh DED), that the Patrick O'Donohue (age 60) and Maria O'Donohue (age 50) were the same couple married in 1867, along with three of their children. But the reality was far more complicated, as updated in the McNamara family tree in my last posting. The Maria in the 1901 census was the third wife of Patrick O'Donohue who lost two of his prior wives in child birth.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1068054/

Patrick Donohue and Mary McNamara were the parents of only one daughter, Bridget, that I could find in the civil birth registrations. They lived in Tubreedy (Kilkeedy) Parish, at least in 1876. There was a three month hiatus in the Tubreedy baptism records when Bridget Donohue was born on 31 December 1876. The discovery of Bridget's civil birth record was hampered by its transcription as "Bridge" (Corofin registration).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... ct=Corofin

Both Delia Donohue and her half-sister Anne Donohue would end up in Chicago, where they were living together in the 1940 census. Both have an interesting connection to Chicago's history.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KWY1-R78

Anne Donohue was married to Thomas Hynes who worked at the Seipp Conrad Brewing Company, founded by the German immigrant Conrad Seipp in 1854 which became the largest brewery in Chicago:
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory. ... /2841.html
Tragically, while working at the Seipp Conrad Brewing factory, Thomas Hynes got his leg caught in a brewing machine in 1919 and died. This left Anne Donohue Hynes a widow with six young children.

Delia Donohue never married. The age is off by nine years, but given zero other options, Delia must be the 24 year old Irish born servant living at the rectory of Holy Name Cathedral located on Superior Street in Chicago in the 1910 census:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKZ8-2HJ

A new rectory for the cathedral was built in 1929 after the old one was demolished, but below is a postcard of the rectory from the period of the 1910 census. There were 12 priests living at the rectory in 1910. Delia was one of six servants, all foreign born, four Irish, one Austrian, and one Polish kitchen maid. In charge of the servants was an American born "house keeper", the sister of the parish priest. I suspect that Delia and the other servants lived in the bottom floor / basement of the rectory.

Rectory of Holy Name Catholic Cathedral, Superior Street, Chicago, circa 1900 to 1910's.jpg
Rectory of Holy Name Catholic Cathedral, Superior Street, Chicago, circa 1900 to 1910's.jpg (122.15 KiB) Viewed 6805 times

The head of household at the rectory in 1910 was the Rev. Michael J. Fitzsimmons, born in Illinois of Irish parents. Was disappointed that the Archbishop of Chicago, James Edward Quigley, was not living at the rectory adjacent to the cathedral in 1910, but lived in a separate mansion. We've already come across Bishop Quigley of Buffalo when he battled against William "Fingy" Connors in the Great Strike of 1899 and helped negotiate greater rights for dockworkers of Buffalo (see page four). He was made Archbishop of Chicago in 1903 and held that position until his death in 1915. The below website includes photos of the Archbishop mansion in the Gold Coast neighborhood of Chicago, it's included on the National Register of Historic Places:
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/201 ... residence/

In the 1920 census, "Della" Donohue (age 35) had moved to a new rectory at 6550 Harvard Avenue, that was for St. Bernard Catholic Church on 66th and Stewart Streets in Englewood neighborhood of Chicago. This rectory was much smaller with only three priests, and Delia was one of two Irish born servants.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJ7N-QD3

The parish priest of St. Bernard's was the Rev. Monsignor John F. Ryan who was born on 17 January 1871 in Gortnahoe, County Tipperary and was schooled at St. Patrick's seminary at Thurles where he was ordained on 18 June 1899. Fifty year later, his St. Bernard parishioners were planning a large anniversary jubilee celebration in his honor to be held in June 1949 (Chicago Tribune, 17 March 1949). Irish newspapers back in 1899 included a listing of those who were ordained at St. Patrick's College, and already the Rev. John F. Ryan was reported as destined for Chicago.

Civil birth record of John Francis Ryan, son of Stephen Ryan and Margaret Lanigan, of Gurtnahoe (Urlingford registration):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 974464.pdf

Illinois has no state census for 1915 or 1925, unlike many other states, so difficult to determine when Delia arrived at St. Bernard's rectory in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago. It could have been in 1911 or 1919, and Delia could have left the rectory of St. Bernard Church in 1921 or 1929. Though I reckon that on the evening of 22 February 1921, Delia Donohue was in St. Bernard's school hall for the meeting of the Wolfe Tone Council of the American Association for the Recognition of the Irish Republic (Suburbanite Economist, Chicago, 18 February 1921). She was not living in the St. Bernard rectory in the 1930 census.

Tried unsuccessfully to find a photo of St. Bernard Church and was surprised how very little information was available on-line about the church. The newspaper archives were more productive and increased my amazement that St. Bernard seems to have gone missing at least from the internet. "The cornerstone of St. Bernard's church was laid yesterday . . . at Sixty-sixth street and Stewart boulevard, adjoining the present house of worship of the parish [built in 1887]. It is to built entirely of marble and when completed it will be the only church in Chicago reared of such costly material . . . and it is to be more magnificent than any other erected to worship of God in the city. It will cost $125,000 to construct it" (Chicago Chronicle, 7 Sept. 1896). "Father Murray is making preparations to complete the church and school buildings of St. Bernard's parish . . . the entire fronts will be of white marble and present a very beautiful appearance when completed" (Suburbanite Economist, Chicago, 8 October 1909). "Work will begin very soon on the two marble steeples of St. Bernard's church . . ." (SE, Chicago, 30 July 1915). "Father Ryan, pastor of St. Bernard's Church . . announced that the new sanctuary and addition to the church will surely be completed next year and the entire body of the church opened as the increased attendance makes this course necessary" (SE, Chicago, 17 September 1920). "The pastor of St Bernard's, Rev. John F. Ryan, . . . may well feel pride . . .St. Bernard's parish church is now completed, and a handsome new twenty-one room parochial residence [replacing the rectory at 6550 Harvard avenue] is in course of erection, giving this Englewood parish one of the most beautiful and complete church establishments in the city" (SE, Chicago, 14 December 1923). "During the past two weeks artists have been busy placing the new colored glass windows in St. Bernard's church . . .they are probably the most beautiful in the city, taken as a whole (SE, Chicago, 8 August 1924). St. Bernard Church was demolished in July 1967 after a snowstorm caved in its roof. One month prior to the demolition the parish priest tried to give away the two story 25-foot-wide marble altar piece built in 1898 and save it from destruction (Chicago Tribune, 29 June 1967). Construction of a new church wasn't started until 21 years later in 1988 and was planned to consolidate four other Catholic churches (Chicago Tribune, 28 Nov. 1988). When the new church was finally dedicated in 1990, at the same spot as St. Bernard's, it was named St. Benedict the African Catholic Church reflecting the changing demographics of Englewood and consolidated eight parish churches (St. Bernard, St. Brendan, St. Carthage, St. Justin Martyr, St. Martin, Our Lady of Solace, St. Raphael, and Sacred Heart) that had been closed (Chicago Tribune, 11 June 1990).

Less than a 15 minute walk from St. Bernard Church at the corner of 63rd and Wallace street was a building in Englewood known as "The Murder Castle" owned by the infamous H.H. Holmes, one of America's first serial killers. The murders took place during the 1890's, three decades before Delia Donohue lived in Englewood, but the crimes were so notorious that she had to have knowledge of them. I first read about H.H. Holmes in the 2003 non-fiction book "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America" by Erik Larson. Holmes was hanged on 7 May 1896 in Moyamensing Prison in Philadelphia. "The hanging of H.H. Holmes calls to mind the other executions of criminals within the walls of Moyamensing since 15th of January, 1841, fifty-five years ago, when the first hanging in that prison took place. In all some thirty odd persons have died on the gallows in that jail, and amongst them have been some of the most notorious and brutal murderers . . ." (Philadelphia Inquirer, 10 May 1896). Amongst those listed in the article, one hanging away from being the prior hanging to H.H. Holmes, was a convicted murderer with a family connection to Margaret Walsh Duncan (1867 - 1928) who was born in Ballinahinch and became the owner and proprietor of the Continental Hotel in Atlantic City (see pages 27 & 28).

Not sure where Delia Donohue was living in the 1930 census, but she was with her sister Anna Hynes in 1940 as mentioned previously. Anna Hynes died in 1952 and Delia Donohue in 1955. In looking up their burials on the Archdiocese of Chicago cemetery website, the two sisters were buried at the same exact burial location (Grave N, Lot 47, Section 51) at Mount Olivet cemetery in Chicago. Thomas Hynes was buried at a different grave, SS, but in the same lot and section.

https://www.catholiccemeterieschicago.o ... nfirmation

A final note on the McNamara's of Ahish in Plot 12c in Caher townland. Each of the marriages of the three identified children of Michael McNamara of Ahish ended with one spouse dying and a subsequent remarriage. Their children would be half-siblings, but in all records they identify themselves, naturally, simply as a brother or a sister. When Mary McNamara Madigan of Barnsley, Yorkshire placed advertisements in American newspapers in 1869 and again in 1879 in search of information on the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree, she identified herself as "his sister". Thomas McNamara and Mary McNamara would of course have had the same father, but quite possibly a different mother. This is something to consider strongly during the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree.

Edit (9/3): more history of St. Bernard Church of Englewood.
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi Jimbo

Last things first: I agree that Mary Madigan, née McNamara, may not have had the same mother as Thomas whom she describes as her brother (ie. the Civil War soldier). Jimbo, I too noticed that Daniel McNamara, son of the second Honora McMahon, describes Mary McNamara, daughter of the first Honora McMahon, as his sister. Recently, when reading a couple of Jane Austen novels, I noticed that the characters refer to a brother-in-law as brother, and sister-in-law as sister. Jane Austen’s characters are of a certain class, and hopefully that practice did not seep into the ordinary population, or did not continue as the 19th century progressed, or genealogy would be very difficult indeed. But, for us, the notion that Mary Madigan might be from a different family grouping than Thomas, opens up some new possibilities. Possibilities is all they will ever be, I fear, but it is good to be able to allow for them. It has occurred to me too that, while Glandree might be the birthplace of Thomas, Mary might have been born in another townland (for instance, if Thomas's father did indeed marry secondly and on that occasion "married in").

Good work on the daughters of Thomas McNamara of Ahish. I’m glad you had that tree on Ancestry to help you. I’m not a member of Ancestry, and I’m sure other people are not members either, so thank you for sifting through that very leafy tree for the Ahish McNamaras and for giving the civil records of the marriages and for the relevant 1901 censuses. Thomas’s daughter, Judy (Julia in 1901), is the only one I had found in the meantime. As you show, she married Patrick Guerin of Derrycaliff. The townland of Derrycaliff is in the civil parish of Clooney, but whether it is in the Catholic parish of Clooney-Quin, or the Catholic parish of Crusheen is not very clear. The baptisms of Patrick and Judy’s children are recorded in the Clooney-Quin register, but two of them are also recorded in the Crusheen register. Probably there was some agreement between the priests as to who was the rightful celebrant.
Baptisms of Guerins in Clooney-Quin parish:
16 Jan 1870: Patt; sponsors: Tom Hogan, Anne Mack. (This baptism is also recorded in the Crusheen baptisms)
20 Feb 1871: Mary; sponsors: John McNamara, Bridget Kelly
11 Aug 1873: Michael; sponsors: Daniel Hogan, Mary Hawkins.
7 Nov 1875: Anne; sponsors: Patrick Guerin, Honor Garvey. (This baptism of “Nancy” Guerin is also recorded in the Crusheen baptisms).
21 Jun 1878, John ; sponsors: Jeremiah Guerin, Margaret McNamara.
A second example of this blurring of the boundary between Crusheen and Clooney is the recording of the baptisms of the children of Thomas McCaul/McAll/McAul and Bridget Clune: six are recorded in the Quin-Clooney register, and three in the Crusheen register. One of the three (Mary bap. 1868) is recorded in both registers. These McCauls were living in Derryvough, an unofficial townland, which seems to be part of the townland of Derrycaliff.

Good work finding a daughter of Michael McNamara, i.e. Mary who married Patrick Donohue in 1867. It just shows that it is possible, if you try very hard, to make progress even with such scant material as the Crusheen parish register provides. And good work finding the birth of their daughter Bridget in 1876. I am just amazed that in spite of mistranscriptions (“Bridge” for Bridget and “Hyde” and “Heyner” for Hynes) you were able to trace her (as Delia) to her (second) life in Chicago. And that you found the second marriage of Patrick Donohue in the Kilfenora-Kiltoraght marriage register. (Note of general interest: Marriages in Kiltoraght church were registered in Corofin, whereas marriages in Kilfenora church, were registered in Ennistymon).
The third marriage of Patrick Donohue defeated you (and me), but, unlike his second marriage, it has no bearing on the search for Delia/Della, so looking for it in the context of the Ahish McNamaras is not necessary.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 am

Hi Sheila,

With regards to the discovery of Bridget Donohue whose civil birth record was hidden in the civil records as "Bridge", I knew she should have been there within a rough time frame based upon the 1901 Irish census. When there were no results using irishgenealogy, I utilized the Family Search website, which although it does not contain the actual civil documents, their transcriptions and search engine are superior.

On Family Search, it is possible to search the civil birth records using father's name and mother's name, and I reckon they make fewer mistakes in transcriptions and use a soundex system (I think). Plus, Tulla is not included in Galway on FamilySearch. Annoyingly, I cannot recreate the search to come up with this same result for Bridget Donohue from their database "Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620 - 1881" (this link I had saved earlier):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGDH-3KM

Knowing for certain that Bridget was born on 31 December 1876, I searched irishgenealogy for any "Donohue" born in 1876 or 1877. The nine results in the Corofin registration district included a "Bridge".

Another example. Bridget Donohue returned to County Clare in 1922, was her father Patrick Donohue still living? Again, using irishgenealogy was a struggle, and FamilySearch the superior search engine. The search results for irishgenealogy death records: Donohue = Donohoe = Odonoghue. It would be easy to assume, given that Odonoghue was included in the search results, that Odonohue would also be there, but this is not the case. So after finding that a Patrick O'Donohue died in 1917 using FamilySearch, I went back to irishgenealogy and searched using "ODonohue" and confirmed that he was the Patrick O'Donohue from Ballinlisheen.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 441350.pdf

Sheila, I suspect that we cannot locate the third marriage of Patrick O'Donohue due to a similar transcription issue. With an infant child, Patrick likely married not long after 1882. Although his mother, Mary Cahir O'Donohue, would have been able to help out; she was 96 years old in the 1901 census.

I updated the Ahish McNamara family tree to reflect the death record of Patrick Donohue in 1917. And also for the newly discovered civil death record for Michael McNamara of Caher GV Plot 12c who died in 1880. And Mary McNamara, the widow of Thomas McNamara, of Caher GV Plot 12d, who died in 1887.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 862251.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 776914.pdf

Bridget "Delia" Donohue was living at the rectory of Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago in the 1910 census. See postcard in my last posting of the three story building with a basement below street level. Delia and the other female servants at the rectory were not living in the basement as I suspected in my last posting. I reckon that a Catholic rectory of the 19th and early 20th century would be run similar to an Irish or British manor house. The rectory basement would have included the kitchen, scullery, pantry, common room for the servants, and perhaps a bedroom for the one male servant. The bedrooms of the female servants would have been up in the attic with a short ceiling and only small windows. In the postcard of the Holy Name rectory, I reckon a few of the female servant rooms would have been behind the two small windows to the far right of the top (attic) level. Their status at the rectory was in the order the servants appear in the 1910 census: Mary Fitzsimmons, age 64, the American born sister of the parish priest, would have been in charge of the other servants and running of the household. Followed by: Rose McGivern, age 35, Irish, cook; Catherin Gibbin, age 35, Irish , waitress; Delia Donohue, "age 24", Irish, housemaid; Katherine Koe (sp?), age 31, widow, Austrian, laundress; Patronella Wirblen, age 23, "Russia, Polish", kitchen maid. Not sure where the one male servant, Irish born Daniel O'Grady, a janitor, would fall in the pecking order. The blog "Jane Austen's World" has an interesting article on the servant quarters in 19th century country houses:

https://janeaustensworld.com/2011/01/29 ... ton-abbey/

The rectory of Holy Name parish would be torn down and replaced by a new rectory built in 1929 that is still standing. A bit of historical trivia, Bishop Blackie Ryan, a Catholic priest and amateur detective, lived at the Holy Name rectory and his exploits were written about in 17 mysteries by Andrew M. Greeley. Sheila, since you recently mentioned reading Jane Austen, and from what I know of the novels of Andrew Greeley (1928 - 2013), I don't think he'd be your cup of tea.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/56735-blackie-ryan

In the 1920 census, "Della" Donohue (age 36) was one of two Irish born servants at the rectory of St. Bernard parish in Englewood, Chicago and likely reported to Mary Collins (age 36), the "housekeeper".

Bridget Donahue returned to the United States on the SS Celtic on 11 December 1922, as mentioned previously. A new search of the "UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists" has revealed that Bridget Donahue, age 46, domestic, departed New York and arrived in Queenstown on the SS Cedric on 28 May 1922. Most UK incoming passenger listings provide very little information, but the 1922 passenger listing included the "proposed address in the United Kingdom" with a specific townland in Ireland. For Bridget Donahue, the address was "Ballinlisheen, Co. Clare".

On the SS Cedric arriving in Queenstown on 28 May 1922 were also six Irish born Catholic priests. The UK incoming passenger listing only provides their proposed address in the UK and Ireland and not where they came from in the United States. However, determining their American home parish was easy using newspaper archives and three of the priests were from the Chicago archdiocese. The Rev. Daniel Croke (age 61) was from St. Cecilia's; the Rev. William Lynch (age 54) from St. Brides; and the Rev. Daniel Lanigan (age 46) from St. Carthage, all parishes on the South Side of Chicago. The Rev. Daniel Lanigan, I recognized as he was ordained at Thurles in 1899, the same graduating class as the Rev. John F Ryan of St. Bernard parish and both men were reported destined for Chicago in the Irish newspapers upon their ordinations.

I suspect that for Bridget Donohue, a servant at St. Bernard parish in the 1920 census, her servant duties may have continued to some degree on the SS Cedric which arrived in Queenstown on 28 May 1922.

The timing of Bridget Donohue's trip to Ireland was unfortunate. The Anglo-Irish Treaty was signed on 6 December 1921. The Irish civil war began on 28 June 1922 when Irish government forces shelled the Four Courts garrison occupied by anti-Treaty forces. So Bridget's six month trip home to Ballinlisheen would have included five months of the civil war which lasted just under eleven months.

My Irish ancestors left Ireland prior to 1850 or so and I've had little interest in learning about the Irish civil war period, but am now reading "Clare and the Civil War" by Joe Power (2020, Eastwood Books) which I highly recommend to gain an understanding of this history (I paid over $15 in May 2021, but now only $9.26 on amazon):
https://www.amazon.com/Clare-Civil-War- ... oks&sr=1-1

The first chapter, "From Truce to Civil War", highlights that this period was fairly turbulent in Clare as the treaty was hotly debated in the newspapers, clubs, and various organizations. As the British abandoned their barracks in Clare as part of the treaty, some were taken over by pro-treaty IRA and other by anti-treaty IRA. Banks were robbed by anti-treaty forces, and vehicles stolen with landlords the prime targets. There was a murder of an ex-RIC policeman in April 1922 and there were other murders settling old scores. In this period of rising tension, it seems odd that Bridget Donohue would decide after being away for 20 years to return to County Clare.

Origins of the three Chicago priests: Rev. Daniel Lanigan and the Rev. Daniel Croke were from County Tipperary, and the Rev. William Lynch was from County Kilkenny. The two Tipperary born priests were originally from parishes in the diocese of Cashel and Emly, and not Killaloe. In "Clare and the Civil War", Joe Power wrote that Bishop Michael Fogarty of the Killaloe diocese was a vocal supporter of the treaty and I suspect this would be the case for the other bishops in Ireland as well. But how about the Irish born parish priests in American cities with large numbers of Irish and Irish-Americans? With regards to the Anglo-Irish Treaty, I suspect that many Irish living in America may have been less compromising since they didn't have to live with the results, a civil war, of not compromising. I'm somewhat suspicious of the Catholic priests, especially those from Chicago, who arrived in Queenstown on 28 May 1922. Their South Side parishes were not far from St. Bernard parish in Englewood. And the St. Bernard parish school hall was the meeting place for a local council of the American Association for the Recognition of the Irish Republic which held meetings on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month:
Wolfe Tone Council

The people of Englewood are invited to hear the Rev. J.F. Cahill, state chairman for the Association for the Recognition of the Irish Republic, Tuesday evening, March 8th, in St. Bernard's School hall, 66th st. and Stewart ave.

This meeting is held under the auspices of the local council, named for the great Irish patriot, Wolfe Tone.

Many are led to believe that the Irish question is a religious one and that it is only the Catholics in Ireland that want independence. For proof that this not so we need only to turn the pages of Irish history to find that a great many leaders of the Irish cause were of the Protestant faith, among whom we find Theodore Wolfe Tone.

The Wolfe Tone Council welcomes those who love liberty as members, and realizing there are many who do not wish to join an organization, yet who wish to see justice done, asks these people to write their senators and congressman at Washington, asking for immediate recognition of the Irish Republic by the United States government.

Southtown Economist, Chicago, 4 March 1921
The American Association for the Recognition of the Irish Republic (A.A.R.I.R.) was created in 1920. Their support was strongly behind Éamon de Valera, the political leader of the anti-treaty forces. Councils across the United States, such as in Boston and San Francisco, often held dances for the benefit of the "homeless Irish" and "Irish Relief Fund". Another council of the A.A.R.I.R. in Chicago was very explicit in their support for de Valera during the civil war:
BLESSINGS INVOKED,
AND AGAIN BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That we place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the MOST HIGH GOD, WHOSE blessing we invoke upon our beloved Chief, Éamon de Valera, and his loyal followers.

AND AGAIN BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That a copy of these resolutions be forwarded to His Eminence Cardinal Gasparri, Secretary of State under our Holy Father the Pope; His Eminence Cardinal Logue, the Primate of all Ireland; to our beloved chief, Éamon de Valera, and the Republican Army; to Archbishop Curley, of Baltimore, and Bishop Turner, of Buffalo, to the Irish Republic Paper of Chicago to the Irish World paper of New York; and to each of the Councils of the A.A.R.I.R., of the State of Illinois; and a copy spread on the minutes of this meeting
PADRAIC H. PEARSE COUNCIL, A.A.R.I.R., Chicago, Illinois

Weekly Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 27 January 1923
When the SS Cedric arrived in Queenstown on 28 May 1922, the luggage of the six Catholic priests was inspected carefully by the authorities. Bridget Donohue, the 46 year old servant returning to County Clare after a twenty year absence to visit her brother in Ballinlisheen, was beyond suspicion and her luggage was not inspected.