Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Jimbo

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Jimbo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 am

Hi Sheila,

As you suggested, I continued the Maley story in the thread you've linked from your last posting. Have now put my focus on the Townland of Magherabaun in Feakle Parish as I believe it reveals important clues in the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree. As noted previously Andrew Sheedy McNamara of Glandree lived just west of Magherabaun and his bees appear to have flown in that direction according to Andrew's petty complaint in 1884. "Magherabaun" is sometimes spelt "Maherabane", "Magherbawn", or "Magherabane" in records and newspaper reports. I believe the meaning of "maghera" is a geographic "plain"; and having a look at google maps it does appear more flat compared to the more mountainous Glandree to the west. When discussing the mysterious Andrew McNamara (Bawn) who was leasing Plot 43 in Glandree per the 1855 Griffiths Valuation, you stated "here is what MacLysaght says about the surname, Bane / Bawn: An epithetic surname mainly found in Cos. Clare and Galway. formed from the Irish adjective bán (white) and often used synonymously with White" (see page 9). One explanation would be that "Magherabaun" stands for "White Plain" in English, perhaps this area gets lots of snow in winter? But I think it more likely that it is related to the people who live there. The "Bane" surname is more common in County Galway than in County Clare, where in the 1901 Census there were only 21 people with the "Bane" surname. But of this total there were 14, two thirds, that lived in Magherabaun. So perhaps "Magherabaun" might mean "Plain of the Banes" whose residents might be known for their very fair complexion? I reckon people with red hair often have a very fair complexion. Not to draw any conclusions on the meaning of "Magherabaun", but I did notice that Edward McNamara of Magherabaun who moved to Washington DC reported on his WWI rego that he had auburn hair with a fair complexion. His son Owen Joseph McNamara reported on his WWII rego that he had red hair with a fair complexion.

Fortunately, living in Magherabaun at the 1855 Griffiths Valuation there were only two McNamara's listed: Margaret McNamara in Plot 15 (just to the east of Andrew Sheedy McNamara in Glandree) and Michael McNamara in Plot 16 (adjacent to Plot 15). Magherabaun townland appears to have a direct relationship between the plot numbers on Griffiths Valuation and the house numbers in the 1901 Irish census which is helpful. In the 1901 census , there is also a Michael McNamara of Magherabaun living with his family in House 6, but he "married in" and is the son of Daniel McNamara and Anne Nugent of Kilmore, Uggoon. The McNamara's of Kilmore are a topic for another day.

In researching the McNamara's of Magherabaun, I believe I've found the parents of the carpenter James McNamara, son of James McNamara, who married Margaret Bowles. Many of their children went to Washington DC and I believe the Edmond McNamara who got in an accident in Washington DC working for the Baltimore & Ohio railroad was their nephew.

Magherabaun Plot 15a, 1855 Griffith Valuation: Margaret McNamara, 49 acres. Most likely the widow (her maiden name is unknown) of James McNamara. Plot 15 appears to have transferred from Margaret McNamara to her son Denis McNamara of House 15, who was the son of James McNamara (deceased) according to his 1873 civil marriage record. Margaret and James McNamara were parents of the below children:

1.0 James McNamara (age 65 in 1901; age 78 in 1911), a carpenter, son of James McNamara, married Margaret Bowles (age 50 in 1901; age 60 in 1911) of Glandree, daughter of John Bowles, at Drumcharley Chapel on 21 February 1870, witnesses James McNamara (his first cousin from Plot 16 below?) and Mary Casey. Margaret McNamara of Glendree, widow, died on 6 March 1937, age 74 years, according to informant, her son Ambrose; age 87 years would have been more accurate. I could not find the civil death record for James McNamara who died between 1911 and 1937. <Glendree, House 13, House 13>
............ 1.1 John J McNamara (1871 - 1 October 1946 in Pittsburgh) arrived in USA in 1892 according to census reports; wife Mary.
......................... 1.1.1 Margaret McNamara (age 17 in 1930)
......................... 1.1.2 Mary McNamara (age 16 in 1930)
......................... 1.1.3 Vincent McNamara (age 12 in 1930)
......................... 1.1.4 John McNamara (age 10 in 1930)
............ 1.2 James McNamara (1872 - 1956 in Pittsburgh) arrived in USA about 1900 according to census records. Worked as nurse at Mercy Hospital (founded by Sisters of Mercy) during first years in Pittsburgh. Married to Nellie Reilly (born PA, age 39 in 1910).
......................... 1.2.1 James McNamara (1909)
............ 1.3 Ellen McNamara (1874 - 1953 in Pittsburgh) arrived in USA about 1898 according to census reports. Married to Joseph D. Ihmsen.
......................... 1.3.1 Charles C Ihmsen (age 17 in 1920)
......................... 1.3.2 Eileen M Ihmsen (age 15 in 1920)
......................... 1.3.3 Sheila O C Ihmsen (age 6 in 1920)
............ 1.4 Henry McNamara (1876 - 1909 in Pittsburgh) arrived on 21 May 1899 on SS Rhynland at Philadelphia; contact was brother James McNamara of Mercy Hospital, Pittsburgh. Returned to Ireland for a visit in 1904.
............ 1.5 Margaret McNamara (1879 - 1945 in Washington D.C.) worked at St Elizabeths Hospital in Washington D.C. On 12 July 1899 married Joseph L. Bond who also worked at St Elizabeths. Mrs. Bond returned from trip to Ireland with cousin Kate McNamara in 1903.
............ 1.6 Mary Kate McNamara (age 16 in 1901) <Glendree, House 13, x> arrived in Philadelphia on 22 September 1901 on SS Noordland; contact sister Margaret Bond of St Elizabeths Hospital, Washington D.C. Living with sister Eleanor Ihmsen in Pittsburgh in 1910 through 1930 Census periods.
............ 1.7 Sarah McNamara (age 14 in 1901) <Glendree, House 13, x> arrived on the SS Haverford at Philadelphia on 15 October 1906; her contact sister Mrs Margaret Bond, Washington D.C. On 21 June 1922, Sarah McNamara married Edward F. Wilson who worked for the Washington Post newspaper.
............ 1.8 Emily McNamara (age 9 in 1901) <Glendree, House 13, House 13> arrived in Philadelphia on the SS Friesland on 22 May 1911; to her sister Margaret Bond at St Elizabeth Hospital, Washington DC. Emily married Elzie Ellis Turner on 11 June 1918 in Washington DC. Private Elzie E Turner was transported to France during WWI with the 313th Infantry (79th Division) on 8 July 1918. He died on 17 October 1918 at the Battle of Montfaucon during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive.
............ 1.9 Bridget McNamara (age 8 in 1901) <Glendree, House 13, House 13>
............ 1.10 Ambrose McNamara (age 2 in 1901) <Glendree, House 13, House 13>

2.0 Denis McNamara (1841 - 1910)
married three times; first marriage unknown. He died on 17 June 1910, age 70, widower, son of James McNamara. <Magherabaun, Ayle, House 15, x>
..... widower Denis McNamara, son of James McNamara, married Catherine Digaden of Derryulk, daughter of John Digaden, at Tulla Chapel on 24 February 1873, witnesses James Nelson and Anne McGrath.
............ 2.? No children?
..... widower Denis McNamara, son of James McNamara (deceased), married Bridget Lynch (about 1845 - died 13 August 1903, age 58 years) of Liscullane, daughter Edward Lynch (deceased), at Tulla Chapel on 5 March 1878, witnesses Pat Nelson and Bridget Lynch.
............ 2.1 John McNamara (6 June 1880 at Feakle - ) <Magherabaun, House 15, House 16>
......................... 2.1.1 Bridget McNamara (age 3 in 1911) < Magherabaun, x, House 16>
......................... 2.1.2 Denis McNamara (age 2 in 1911) < Magherabaun, x, House 16>
......................... 2.1.3 Elizabeth McNamara (infant in 1911) < Magherabaun, x, House 16>
............ 2.2 Edmond McNamara (7 August 1881 per WWI rego - 19 January 1931 at Washington DC) married Annie Mealey of Glandree, daughter of Owen Mealey (dead), on 5 April 1907 at Tulla chapel. Arrived in New York on the SS Campania on 14 April 1907 <Magherabaun, House 15, x>
......................... 1.2.1 Owen Joseph McNamara (26 March 1908 per WWII rego - 24 July 1980)
............ 2.3 Denis McNamara (age 15 in 1901 - died 3 May 1905, 18 years) <Magherabaun, House 15, x>

3.0 Timothy McNamara (age 66 in 1901 living with brother Denis). Per Calendar of Wills, Administration of Estate of Timothy McNamara late of Maherabawn Feakle County Clare, who died 24 June 1915 at Lisdoonvarna, granted at Limerick to John McNamara, Farmer. <Magherabaun, House 15, unknown>

4.? Any McNamara sisters??

*********************************************************************************
Magherabaun Plot 16a, 1855 Griffith Valuation: Michael McNamara, 49 acres. Unknown wife; most likely father of James McNamara of House 16. When civil record for marriage of son James McNamara in 1872 becomes available online will confirm this theory and learn if Michael is still living in 1872.

1.0 James McNamara (unknown - prior to 1901) married Margaret Rodgers (about 1842 - died on 26 April 1904) of Killena on 10 February 1872 at Caher Feakle Parish, witnesses Patt Rodgers and Patt Molony. Civil marriage record not yet available to confirm father as Michael (deceased or living?), the name of James' first born son in 1876. <Magherabaun, Ayle, House 16, x>
............ 1.1 Mary McNamara (28 April 1873 - )
............ 1.2 Margaret McNamara (27 April 1874 - before 1878)
............ 1.3 Anne McNamara (22 May 1875 - ) married Patrick Mealey/O'Malley of Glandree, son of Owen Maley, at Feakle Chapel on 24 February 1906 <Glendree, ?, House 44>
......................... 1.3.1 William Joseph O'Malley (age 4 in 1911) <Glendree, x, House 44>
......................... 1.3.2 Mary Teresa O'Malley (age 3 in 1911) <Glendree, x, House 44>
......................... 1.3.3 Eugene Frederick O'Malley (age 1 in 1911) <Glendree, x, House 44>
............ 1.4 Michael McNamara (9 Jan 1876 - ) <Magherabaun, House 16, House 14>
............ 1.5 Margaret McNamara (7 Jan 1878 - ) <Magherabaun, House 16, x>
............ 1.6 James McNamara (14 Sept 1879 - ) <Magherabaun, House 16, x>
............ 1.7 Bridget McNamara (2 Nov 1880 - 12 Nov 1881).

The marriage of Anne McNamara of Magherabaun to Patrick Mealey of Glandree in 1906 is more evidence of the strong connections between families living in Glandree and Magherabaun.

On the Tithe Applotment Books for Lower Maherbane in Feakle Parish on 25 October 1827, three rows of McNamara's were listed (1) W'm McNamara, (2) James McNamara with note "James McNamara & Patt Correy", (3) James McNamara with note "James McNamara & Mich'l McMahon".

I believe the James McNamara (his widow Margaret) of Plot 15 and Michael McNamara of Plot 16, both plots of an equal 49 acres, are the sons of the James McNamara listed on the 1827 Tithe Applotment Books.

Speculation, of course, but could James McNamara (widow Margaret reported in Plot 15) and Michael McNamara (reported in Plot 16) of Magherabaun have had another brother who moved to adjacent Glandree? A brother that also named his first born son James McNamara?

John McNamara (1808 ?? - ??) and Mary Kelly (1808 ?? - prior to 1840) of Glandree:

1.0 James McNamara (1828)
2.0 John McNamara (1830)
3.0 Thomas McNamara (1832) - the missing Civil War soldier of Glandree??
4.0 Bridget McNamara (1834)
5.0 Johanna McNamara (1835) - the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY??
....... Marriage to Bridget Coffey
6.0 Mary McNamara (1840) - married to James Madigan (witness Andrew McNamara), to Barnsley Yorkshire??
7.0 Anne McNamara (1843)
8.0 Pat McNamara (1845)
9.0 Michael McNamara (1847)

Edit (1) Denis McNamara married 3 times; Timothy McNamara death in 1915; Margaret Bowles McNamara death in 1937
Last edited by Jimbo on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi Jim

Good work finding those 1873 and 1878 marriage records for Denis McNamara, widower*, Maherabane, both of which shows that his father was James. And I agree there’s a good possibility that James McNamara (husband of Margaret Bowles) is a son of that James.
* When Denis married Catherine Digiden, he was already a widower – so had three marriages.

Yes, Michael McNamara and Margaret McNamara are leasing adjacent farms of equal size (49 acres) in Griffith’s Valuation. As you say, it’s very likely a farm was shared between two sons, Michael being one and Margaret the widow of the other (have I got that right?). The 1926 Rate Books for Ayle (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... e_ded1.htm) lists these two farms as leased by John McNamara (Lot 15) and Michael McNamara (Lot 16).

Timothy, who is aged 66 in 1901, died in 1915, but I failed to find the record of his death. The Calendar of Wills shows that he died in Lisdoonvarna: Administration of Estate of Timothy McNamara late of Maherabawn Feakle County Clare, who died 24 June 1915 at Lisdoonvarna, granted at Limerick to John McNamara, Farmer: http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchiv ... _00285.pdf
I don’t see Timothy in the 1911 census, but haven’t looked very hard.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:16 am

Hi Sheila, thanks very much for pointing out that Denis McNamara was reported as a widower on his 1873 marriage to Catherine Digaden, and also the discovery of the death of Timothy McNamara at Lisdoonvarna in 1915. I've edited my prior post to make these changes.

It can be challenging to find the Irish civil death records that you know should be there but are nowhere to be found. I often make the mistake for looking for a person who is recorded in the 1901 census, but not in the 1911 census, and assume that they died sometime in between. But frequently they might be living in a work house in 1911 and are only reported by their initials, especially for the elderly. Although I don't believe this would be the case for Timothy McNamara who according to the Calendar of Wills that you discovered had effects valued at £414. Wasn't Lisdoonvarna a spa town that an elderly Timothy McNamara might visit for his good health? I see that there's a Sheedy's Hotel & Restaurant in Lisdoonvarna that gets excellent reviews, but Sheila I don't reckon Timothy McNamara was a Sheedy McNamara.

Another mistake I make in searching for the civil death records is assuming the informant has provided the correct age at time of death. Today, I had a second look for the civil death records for James McNamara and Margaret Bowles McNamara. I was able to find Margaret McNamara of Glandree, a widow, age 74 years, died on 6 March 1937 (so born about 1863?), informant was her son Ambrose McNamara. Ambrose, the youngest in his family who was born about 1899, clearly had no idea how old his mother was. Margaret Bowles was married in 1870, so her age of 50 in the 1901 census is likely very accurate. I reckon Margaret McNamara was about 87 years old when she died in 1937, and not 74 years as reported on her death record. I still could not find the death record for James McNamara, but at least we now know that he died prior to 1937.

The James McNamara and Margaret Bowles family tree has been looked at from three ways, descendants of (1) Ellen Foley, Margaret Bowles' mother on page 14; (2) John Bowles, Margaret Bowles' grandfather on page 16; and now (3) James McNamara, the father of James McNamara (married to Margaret Bowles).

In the latest McNamara/Bowles family tree I added a few brief facts to their daughter Emily McNamara who was born in Glendree on 25 February 1892 - but her story deserves to be told in greater detail. Emily is 19 years old and living in Glendree with her parents James and Margaret McNamara in the 1911 Census which was taken on the 2nd of April. Emily McNamara would already have had firm plans to join her sisters in Washington DC, as she was on the SS Friesland arriving in Philadelphia on 22 May 1911. Her contact was her sister Mrs. Margaret Bond of St Elizabeths Hospital in Washington DC. She received a "certificate of proficiency in studies" from attending night school in Washington in March 1914, most likely in stenography, her occupation listed in future census reports.

On the 11th of June 1918, Emily McNamara married Elzie Ellis Turner in Washington DC. Elzie Turner was born in Maryland where his family had a farm in Prince George's County. When they married, Elzie Turner would have already been a Private in the 313th Infantry and stationed at Camp Meade in Maryland. Emily would have known that Elzie was about to be shipped off to France, and this was likely a factor in the timing of their marriage. Emily and Elzie Turner had only been married for about four weeks when Private Elzie Turner departed Hoboken on the transport ship Leviathan on 8 July 1918 for France. Private Turner was a cook with the 313th Infrantry, and Emily probably thought that no harm would come to her new husband. From France, Elzie had written his wife that he "expected to be home by Christmas and not to worry". Private Elzie E Turner was killed on 17 October 1918 at the Battle of Montfaucon during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive during the last weeks of the war. "In this incident is shown the fact that the cooks of the Army are as brave as the fighting men. They travel with the troops and continually expose themselves to shell fire when preparing food for the boys" reported the Evening Star on 8 December 1918.

On the one year anniversary of his death, Emily McNamara Turner had this memorial for her husband published in the newspaper :
TURNER. In loving memory of my darling
husband, ELZIE E. TURNER, who died
"somewhere in France" one year ago today
October 17, 1918. Anniversary mass at St.
Margaret's Church, Seat Pleasant, Md.

He sleeps beside his comrades
In a grave across the foam;
But love and memory linger
In the hearts of all at home.

I did not know the pain you bore,
I did not see you die;
I only know you went away
And never said good-bye.

If I could have seen you at the last,
And held your darling hand,
And heard the last sigh from your heart,
I would not feel so bad.

BY HIS LOVING WIFE, EMILY M. TURNER

Evening Star, Washington DC, 17 October 1919
"Somewhere in France" was a common expression of the time, the location of where Elzie Turner died was not in doubt in 1919. The "gold star" widow Emily McNamara Turner along with her "gold star" mother-in-law in Maryland would need to decide whether Private Elzie Turner's remains would remain in France "beside his comrades" or be returned to the USA for burial. If buried in France, the US government would pay for "gold star" mothers and widows to visit the overseas gravesite of their loved ones on organized government trips. The Turners decided to have Elzie Turner brought home from France, and he is listed on records for the transport ship Wheaton arriving in 1921:
BODIES OF 5212 HEROES LANDED
Brought From France and Included 11 Nurses

HOBOKEN, N.J. May 18 - Bodies of 5212 soldiers from every overseas division of the United States Army, every State in the Union and every American cemetery in France, save Romagne, were landed today from the transport Wheaton, which arrived yesterday from Antwerp and Cherbourg.

The dead, the greatest number ever brought home by one ship, included 11 nurses. Funeral services will be held at the army docks, beginning Sunday.

The Boston Globe, Massachusetts, 18 May 1921
Elzie E. Turner is buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Washington DC :

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/176 ... e-e-turner

Private Elzie E. Turner's family is from Prince George's County, Maryland. To honor their Great War dead, the citizens of Prince George's County through private contributions raised funds to erect a 40 foot monument in the shape of a Latin cross on private land outside the town of Bladensburg. The WWI memorial known as the "Peace Cross" was completed in 1925. Elzie E. Turner is one of the 49 men etched into a bronze plaque with the inscription "This Memorial Cross Dedicated To The Heroes of Prince George’s County Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War For The Liberty Of The World."

https://collections.digitalmaryland.org ... gjw/id/551

Over the decades the farm lands of Prince George's County became developed, and the Peace Cross now stands in the middle of a busy roundabout. The ownership of the private land where the Peace Cross was originally built was turned over to the state government of Maryland in 1961. Maryland is now responsible for its maintenance. The US Supreme Court heard oral arguments in February 2019 on whether this was in violation of the separation of church and state. The US Supreme Court will provide their final ruling in June 2019 on what is to become of the Peace Cross meant to honor the sacrifices made 100 years ago in the Great War by the "Bladensburg 49" whose number includes the husband of Emily McNamara of Glandree.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:36 am

Hi Sheila,

I'm now looking at the McNamara's who lived in Kilmore for which you nicely described the geographic location below. When researching the "Widow McNamara" who was evicted in 1891 from Uggoon (discussed on page 10), I initially failed to find any later records for several Uggoon McNamara families who had baptisms recorded in the 1830's - they all appeared to have left Uggoon. As per the below family tree these McNamara's were recorded in Kilmore in later records. "Patrick" is very popular with these Kilmore McNamara's, while the names Andrew and Thomas were not used one single time. This narrows the focus in the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree.
I think your theory that Kilmore was split out from the townland of Uggoon is a good theory. As you say, Kilmore is not used as a residence in the first two parish registers of baptisms. And I could not find it in Tithes either. I also tried a comparison of names, but got nowhere with that. Kilmore is a strange shape – it resembles a chair back and chair seat for Uggoon. I had often wondered where Gortacummer was situated but now I see that it is the name of a group of houses within the townland of Kilmore (The GeoHive public viewer map is available again: http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html and if you click on “Base Information and Mapping” and then on “Historic Map 25 inch” you will find Gortacummer). This “chair seat’ part of Kilmore townland adjoins the southern boundary of Glendree, while the “chair back” part adjoins Uggoon.
In researching the McNamara's of Kilmore, their patriarch (not sure if there is another term in Ireland) is Patrick McNamara. And I did find where Kilmore is located in the Tithe Applotment Books. Just prior to Uggoon Townland on the Clare Library transcriptions of the 1827 Tithes for Glendree is Curraghnatoo Townland. Only Patt McNamara is listed in Curraghnatoo Townland.

In the first two books of the Tulla parish registers through 1861, while Kilmore does not appear, variations of the name "Curraghnatoo" appear as "Curranalough", "Curghnalohi", "Carraghtog", "Curranaton" and "Curran Touhy". These records are for McNamara families living in Uggoon (pre 1862 parish records) and later reported as living in Kilmore. The Curraghnatoo name variations are highlighted below and provide an important identifier for the descendants of Patrick McNamara.

In the 1855 Griffiths Valuation for Kilmore Townland in Tulla Parish there are two McNamara's listed, the lessor for both is Major E.F.H. Pocklington. Here are details on the Pocklington estate:

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/ ... sp?id=2214

Plot 1 Kilmore is 108 acres shared between Patrick Gorman and Patrick McNamara and appears to be mountain land that is only valued at £4. Plot 2 Kilmore is 62 acres and also shared by Patrick Gorman at 2a, and Patrick McNamara at 2b; this land and houses are valued at £16.

I believe this Patrick McNamara in 1855 is most likely the same Patt listed in the 1827 Tithes. Based upon research of this Patrick's descendants, this Patrick would be born around 1770 and thus certainly possible that he was still living at the time of the 1855 Griffiths Valuation. An alternative explanation is that 1855 Patrick is the son of 1827 Patt, who with Mary Hogan had five children in Uggoon between 1831 and 1837 (see family tree below).

Plot 4 Kilmore is 37 acres leased by John McNamara and valued at £37. The most obvious explanation is that this is John McNamara, the son and possibly the oldest son of 1827 Patt McNamara, who was married to Ellen McNamara. Sheila, as you noted previously (see page 10) this Plot 4 transfers to John Connellan which I can't explain.

Patrick McNamara, born about 1770, of Curraghnatoo Townland at the 1827 Tithes, and possibly of Kilmore Towland at 1855 Griffiths Valuation, and his Unknown Wife (but most likely a Mary, Bridget, Anne, or Honorah) have a great number of descendants in Kilmore and Uggoon, Tulla Parish :

1.0 John McNamara (died prior to 1865) and Ellen McNamara (possibly, ≈1792 - 1865) have six children recorded in the Tulla baptism register. However, they may have married prior to 1819 (start of the Tulla parish records) and have other children (a first born son named Patrick?). John McNamara died prior to the 27 February 1865 marriage of his son Thady. Death records from 1864 through 1870 are not available on-line, but the index has no good possibilities for John McNamara. Ellen McNamara, possibly died in 1865 at the age of 73 (Galway registration); on-line records not yet available.

............ ?.? Patrick McNamara?
............ 1.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
............ 1.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)

............ 1.1 Mary McNamara (1828 in Uggoon - ?) sponsors James Mulconry, Mary McNamara

............ 1.2 Tim McNamara (1829 in Curranalough - 1904 in Kilmore), baptism sponsors Roger O'Dea, Bridget O'Dea. Thady McNamara, farmer, of Kilmore, son of John McNamara (deceased) married Bridget Brody (≈ 1845 - 1905), of Killenena, daughter of Patt Brody, on 27 February 1865 at the RC chapel at Killenena; witnesses James Brody and Michael Brody. Thady McNamara of Kilmore died on 13 August 1904, age 75, married, informant daughter Norah McNamara. Bridget McNamara died on 17 April 1905 at Kilmore, age 60, informant son Michael McNamara. <Kilmore, Glendree, House 1, x>
......................... 1.2.1 John McNamara (1866)
......................... 1.2.2 Mary McNamara (1867 - 18 August 1874 in Kilmore)
......................... 1.2.3 Patrick McNamara (1869)
......................... 1.2.4 Michael McNamara (1870) <Kilmore, x, House 2>
......................... 1.2.5 James McNamara (1872)
......................... 1.2.6 Ellen McNamara (1874)
......................... 1.2.7 Daniel McNamara (1875)
......................... 1.2.8 Bridget McNamara (1877)
......................... 1.2.9 Mary McNamara (1878)
......................... 1.2.10 Matthew McNamara (age 19 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 1, x>
......................... 1.2.11 Nora McNamara (age 16 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 1, House 2>
......................... 1.2.12 Katie McNamara (age 15 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 1, x>

............ 1.3 Bridget McNamara (1831in Uggoon - ?) sponsors Corny Looney, Biddy Connellan

............ 1.4 Honora McNamara (1833 in Uggoon - prior to 1834) sponsors Daniel McNamara, Mary Mulconry(?)

............ 1.5 Honora McNamara (1834 in unclear location - after 1911) sponsors Daniel McNamara, Mary Molony. Honora McNamara of Kilmore married Martin Kennedy (died between 1901 and 1911) on 24 February 1857 in Tulla Parish, witnesses Pat Ryan and Nancy McNamara. <Fortane Beg, Tulla, House 14, House 12>
......................... 1.5.1 Michael Kennedy (1858 in Fortanebeg - prior to 1877) sponsors Pat Kennedy, Mary Riedy.
......................... 1.5.2 Thomas Kennedy (1860 in Fortanebeg) sponsors Patt Donohoe, Bridget Culloo. <Fortane Beg, Tulla, House 14, x>
......................... 1.5.3 Mary Kennedy (1861 in Fortanebeg) sponsors Martin Ryan, Margaret Kennedy.
......................... 1.5.4 Ellen Kennedy (1863 in Fortanebeg) sponsors Thomas Brennan, Mary Gorman. <Fortane Beg, Tulla, House 14, House 12>
......................... 1.5.5 John Kennedy (1865 in Fortanebeg - prior to 1870) sponsors Michael McNamara, Mary Noonan.
......................... 1.5.6 James Kennedy (1866 in Fortanebeg) sponsor Catherine Mack.
......................... 1.5.7 John Kennedy (1870 in Fortanebeg) sponsors Thomas Stanners, Mary Lynch.
......................... 1.5.8 Bridget Kennedy (1871 in Fortanebeg) sponsors John Powell, Honora Kennedy.
......................... 1.5.9 Johanna Kennedy (1875 in Fortanebeg) sponsors Mary Canovan.
......................... 1.5.10 Michael Kennedy (1877 in Fortanebeg) sponsors Michael Lynch, Mary Anne Walker. <Fortane Beg, Tulla, House 14, House 12>

............ 1.6 Anne McNamara, of "Carraghtog(?)" (Curraghnatoo townland), baptized 30 November 1836; sponsors Denis Hasset, Mary Dugan. Anne McNamara, of Kilmore, daughter of John McNamara (not reported as deceased), married John Canny, of Upper Glandree, son of Michael Canny, on 22 June 1864 in Tulla Chapel, witnesses Michael Canny and Margaret Gorman. <Glendree, House 4, House 23> John Canny, farmer, of Glandree, married, age 74 years, died 2 December 1910; informant son Patrick Canny of Glandree. Anne McNamara Canny died after 1911.
......................... 1.6.1 John Canny, of "Keiraun(?)", baptized 15 April 1865; sponsors Michael Canny, Margaret Gorman. Tulla civil registration states birth as "Kerawn" or "Keraun", likely a derivation of Curraghnatoo townland. Died prior to birth of brother John Canny in 1868. A John Canny died in 1865 at the age of zero; Tulla civil registration not yet available on-line.
......................... 1.6.2 Pat Canny, of "Cerane", baptized 10 May 1866; sponsors Thady McNamara, Bridget Brody. Tulla civil registration states birth as "Keraun", likely a derivation of Curraghnatoo townland. <Glendree, House 4, House 23> Pat Canny, farmer, of Glendree, son of John Canny, married Catherine McNamara, daughter of farmer Michael McNamara, of Glenboniff, Kilclaron, on 19 February 1912 at the Catholic church in Feakle by the Rev. M. Hayes; witnesses John Quigney and Ellen Teresa McNamara.
................................... 1.6.2.1 John Canny, of Glandree, born 4 December 1912 (Scariff registration).
................................... 1.6.2.? Other Canny children?
................................... 1.6.2.2 Patrick Canny, of Glandree, born 19 September 1919 (Scariff registration). Paddy Canny had a great influence on traditional Irish music - see discussion on page 32.
......................... 1.6.3 John Canny, of upper Glendree, baptized 13 May 1868; sponsors S(?) Moroney, Brigid Morony <Glendree, House 4, House 23>
......................... 1.6.4 James Canny, of Glendree, baptized 27 May 1871; sponsors James Murphy, Margaret McMahon. The U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index has a James Canny, born 27 May 1870 in Ireland; father John Canney; mother Anne McNamara, who submitted an application/claim in February 1938; no state of residence listed.
......................... 1.6.5 Martin Canny (1875) <Glendree, x, House 23>
......................... 1.6.6 Mary Canny (1880) <Glendree, House 4, House 23>

2.0 Mary McNamara (likely born in 1790's) of "Curranaton" married Michael Canny of Kilduff on 13 February 1820 at Tulla Parish, witnesses Patrick MacNamara of Curranaton, James Canny of Kilduff, Dennis Mongavan of Derraolc. "Curranaton" is surely a derivation of "Curraghnatoo". The McNamara brothers also appear to have a sister named Mary recorded as a sponsor in baptism records.
............ 2.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
............ 2.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)
............ 2.1 Patrick Canny (1829 in Kilduff), sponsors Thomas Casey, Mary Sullivan

3.0 Daniel McNamara (possibly, ≈1797 - 1864) of Derryulk obtained a letter of freedom in 1828 (per research by Sheila) to marry Anne Nugent (≈1800 - 1874) of Feakle. Daniel McNamara was reported as "deceased" in the civil marriage record of his son James McNamara in 1869. He is possibly the "Daniel McNamara" who died in 1864 at the age of 67 years old in Tulla; the civil death record is not yet available on-line. Anne McNamara, of Kilmore, widow of a farmer, 74 years, died on 11 December 1874; informant son James McNamara of Kilmore.

............ 3.1 Pat McNamara (1828 in Uggoon - ?) sponsor Patrick McNamara.

............ 3.2 James McNamara (1831 in Uggoon - 1911) baptism sponsors Thomas Nugent and Honor Dwyer. "James Mack", of Kilmore, farmer, son of "Daniel Mack" (deceased), married Bridget McCarthy, age 17, of Uggoon, daughter of farmer "John Carthy", on 9 February 1869 at the RC chapel in Tulla; witnesses William Nugent and Bridget Bugler. Bridget [McCarthy] McNamara, married, age 53 years old, farmer's wife, died on 8 June 1906 in Tulla; informant husband James McNamara of Kilmore (Galway registration). <Kilmore, Glendree, House 2, House 3> James McNamara, widower, farmer, 80 years old, died on 6 July 1911 in Kilmore, informant Harriet McNamara (Scariff registration).
......................... 3.2.1 Anne McNamara baptized on 9 March 1870; sponsors Michael McNamara and Anne Nugent (likely her grandmother) <Kilmore, House 2, x>
......................... 3.2.2 James McNamara (1871) <Kilmore, House 2, x>
......................... 3.2.3 Mary Anne McNamara (1872) <Kilmore, House 2; Magherabaun, House 14> On 7 March 1905, Mary Anne McNamara of Kilmore married Michael McNamara, son of James McNamara and Michael Rodgers of Magherabaun at the RC chapel at Knockjames; witnesses John J McNamara and Kathleen McNamara.
......................... 3.2.4 Honora McNamara (1874) <Kilmore, House 2; Magherabaun, House 16> On 27 February 1906, Norah McNamara of Kilmore married John McNamara, son of Denis McNamara and Bridget Lynch of Magherabaun at the RC chapel at Knockjames; witnesses Edmond McNamara and Elizabeth McNamara.
.................................. 3.2.4.1 Bridget McNamara (age 3 in 1911) < Magherabaun, x, House 16>
.................................. 3.2.4.2 Denis McNamara (age 2 in 1911) < Magherabaun, x, House 16>
.................................. 3.2.4.3 Elizabeth McNamara (infant in 1911) < Magherabaun, x, House 16>
......................... 3.2.5 Bridget McNamara (1876) <Kilmore, House 2, x> living at 305 East 87th St, NY
......................... 3.2.6 Anne Catherine McNamara (1878) <Kilmore, House 2, x>
......................... 3.2.7 Patrick McNamara (1880), sponsors Patt McNamara, Bridget Connors <Kilmore, House 2, House 3>
......................... 3.2.8 Elizabeth McNamara (age 14 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 2, x>
......................... 3.2.9 Dan McNamara (age 13 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 2, House 3>
......................... 3.2.10 Sara McNamara (age 10 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 2, House 3> arrived in New York on SS Lusitania on 15 November 1908 , age 24, father reported as James McNamara of Kilmore, going to sister Delia McNamara of 305 East 87th St.
......................... 3.2.11 Harriet McNamara (age 9 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 2, House 3>
......................... 3.2.12 John Joseph McNamara (age 10 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 2, x>
......................... 3.2.13 Michael Edward McNamara (age 10 in 1901) <Kilmore, House 2, House 3>

............ 3.3 Michael McNamara (1834 in Uggoon - died 7 December 1915 at Magherbaun) baptism sponsors Michael Moloney and Bridget Keogh. Michael, of Kilmore, son of Daniel McNamara, married the widow Bridget McMahon (1844 - died in 1922, age 78 years, at Magherabaun), daughter of Patrick McMahon on 12 February 1877 at Feakle Chapel, witnesses John Nugent and Mary Ryan. <Magherabaun, Ayle, House 6, House 5>
......................... 3.3.1 Margaret McNamara (age 26 in 1901 census, possibly daughter of Bridget McMahon first marriage?) <Magherabaun, House 6, x>
......................... 3.3.2 Patrick McNamara (1878) <Magherabaun, House 6, House 5>
......................... 3.3.3 Daniel McNamara (1879) <Magherabaun, House 6, House 5>
......................... 3.3.4 John McNamara (1881) <Magherabaun, House 6, House 5>
......................... 3.3.5 James McNamara (age 17 in 1901) <Magherabaun, House 6, House 5>
......................... 3.3.6 Denis McNamara (age 12 in 1901) <Magherabaun, House 6, House 5>

............ 3.4 Honora McNamara (1837 in Curran Touhy - 1886) sponsor Mary Molony. Honora McNamara, of Kilmore, daughter of Daniel McNamara, married James Cody, of Ballybroghan, farmer, son of James Cody, on 8 February 1864 at Tulla RC chapel; witnesses John Crotty and Anne McNamara. The Cody family lived in Ballybroghan townland in O'Gonnelloe Parish. Honora Cody, married, 48 years, farmer's wife, died on 29 October 1886 in O'Gonnelloe; informant her husband James Cody (Scariff registration). James Cody, married (s/b widower, no 2nd marriage?), 68 years, farmer, died on 26 May 1899 at Ballybrohan; informant son Pat Cody.
......................... 3.4.1 Eliza Cody baptized 13 March 1865, Ballybrohan, sponsors David Cody, Kate Cody. Lizzie Cody married Michael Long, son of James Long, on 17 July 1889 at St. Mary's O'Gonnelloe. Seven children by 1911. <Callaghy, Caherhurley, House 13, House 11>
......................... 3.4.2 Anne Cody baptized 5 March 1866, Ballybrohan, sponsors John Cody, Anne McNamara.
......................... 3.4.3 John Cody born 10 February 1867 (Scariff civil record)
......................... 3.4.4 Patrick Joseph Cody born 19 May 1872 (Scariff civil record). Patrick Cody married Mary Anne McMahon, daughter of Thomas McMahon of Poulatrumpa, on 26 February 1900 at the RC Chapel at Flagmount; witnesses John Cody and Annie Nugent. <Ballybroghan, O'Gonnelloe, House 13, House 14>
......................... 3.4.5 Kate Cody born 15 April 1875 (Scariff civil record) <Ballybroghan, O'Gonnelloe, House 13, x>

4.0 Patrick McNamara (likely born about 1800?) and Mary Hogan had five children reported in the Tulla baptism register. This Patrick might possibly be the sponsor and witness at multiple baptisms and marriages for his siblings. He could be the Patrick McNamara at Griffith Valuation Kilmore Plot 1, but I reckon his father was still living in 1855. A Patrick McNamara, widower, age 79, died on 3 November 1881 at Tulla Work House; but no other family information that would definitely link to the Patrick married to Mary Hogan. Civil marriage records for below children might provide more clues, but none have been found:

............ 4.1 Anne McNamara (1831 in Uggoon), sponsor Mary Molony
............ 4.2 Michael McNamara (1832 in Uggoon twins), sponsors Martin Foly, Bridget O'Dea
............ 4.3 Mary McNamara (1832 in Uggoon twins - died prior to 1837) sponsor Honora McBride(?)
............ 4.4 Honora McNamara (1834 in Agoon) sponsor Bridget Conellan.
............ 4.5 Mary McNamara (1837 in Agoon) sponsor Anne Rochford

There is no definitive record for the family of Patrick McNamara and Mary Hogan in Tulla Parish after the birth of their daughter Mary in 1837. Not much evidence to support that this Patrick McNamara of Uggoon was the son of Patrick McNamara of Kilmore. Questions remain, such as why did Patrick name his first born son Michael and not Patrick? Why are none of the baptism sponsors for his five children one of his many siblings? Where did they go?

5.0 Catherine McNamara (likely born between 1800 and 1815) of "Curghnalohi" married Cornelius O'Gorman of Moymore in 1837 at Tulla Chapel; witnesses Daniel McNamara and Pat McNamara. "Curghnalohi" is a derivation of "Curranaghnatoo", and Daniel and Pat McNamara are likely Catherine's brothers.

............ 5.1 Mary Gorman (transcribed as "Gonnion") was baptized in Tulla on 20 October 1840, parents Connor Gorman and Catherine McNamara of "Knock" (as in "Knockadoon"?). A "Maria Gorman" died in 1870 at the age of 30 years in Galway reporting district; death record not yet available on-line.

Connor "Cornelius" Gorman was a witness at the marriage of Patrick Gorman, of Clouny, to "Elon McNamara", of Tereda, in February 1839 in Tulla Parish. I reckon that Connor and Patrick are brothers.

By the 1855 Griffith Valuation Patrick McNamara is sharing Kilmore Plot 1 and Plot 2 with a Patrick Gorman, who was likely a brother of Cornelius Gorman. It appears that Connor Gorman and Catherine McNamara, who just had the one daughter, Mary in 1840, may have died young? Mary Gorman appears to have died in 1870 as noted above (on-line death record not yet available).

Margaret Gorman (≈1844 - 1899), of Kilmore, daughter of Patrick Gorman, married James Murphy, of Lacaroe, son of Martin Murphy, on 19 February 1870 at Tulla Chapel. Margaret Gorman was also a witness at the marriage of Anne McNamara (daughter of John McNamara, above) and John Canny in 1864 at Tulla Chapel. James Murphy and Margaret Gorman had eight children born between 1871 and 1880. Two of their children, Daniel Murphy (age 27), and Ellen Murphy (age 11) are living in Kilmore in 1901, with only Daniel remaining in 1911 <Kilmore, House 3, House 1>

Patrick Gorman, of Kilmore, widower, age 75 years, farmer, died on 12 May 1875; informant Margaret Murphy present at death in Kilmore (Tulla registration).

x.0 Martin McNamara [REVISED]: a "Martin McNamara" was reported to have died on 11 December 1878 in Uggoon, widower, farmer, age 81 years; Patrick McNamara of Uggoon was informant. There is no other record in Uggoon of a Martin McNamara having ever resided in Uggoon. The 1878 death record for "Martin McNamara" was surely a mistake and should have stated "Matthew McNamara" — see (7.0) below. "Patrick McNamara" as the informant was correct, but he was the Patrick McNamara of Uggoon married to Bridget Connors, and not the following "Patrick" born in 1819 in Glandree :

............ x.1 Pat McNamara was baptized on 12 December 1819, parents were Martin McNamara of Mary O'Dea, of an unclear location, most likely Glandree; baptism sponsors Dan McNamara and Mary Guerin(?). [REVISED] This "Pat McNamara" has no connection to Uggoon. Perhaps this Patrick McNamara born in 1819 married Kate Foley in 1846 in Glandree; he died on 29 May 1906 at the age of 86, so the age would be accurate.

7.0 Matthew McNamara (most likely, ≈1797 - 1878) had 11 acres in Plot 13 (land and house) in Upper Uggoon in the 1855 Griffiths Valuation and also shared mountain land (Plot 14) with Daniel Kilfoyle. Matthew's lands at Uggoon Upper Plot 13A are adjacent to Kilmore Plot 2 of Patrick McNamara - his likely father. The only evidence of the wife of Matthew McNamara is her 1877 death record. Mary McNamara (unknown maiden name), married, age 67 years, farmer's wife, died on 10 January 1877 in Uggoon; informant Matthew McNamara of Uggoon. It appears that Matthew McNamara died the year after his wife Mary, but the registrar made a mistake with his name. A "Martin McNamara", age 81 years, farmer, widower, of Uggoon, died on 11 November 1878; informant Patrick McNamara of Uggoon present at death. Plot 13 would transfer to Pat McNamara of Upper Uggoon who named his oldest son Matthew.

............ 7.1 Pat McNamara has no known baptism record. He was age 53 in 1901 and age 72 in 1911, which reflects the period 1839 and 1848. Possibly born in 1843 which has a missing baptism page in the Tulla parish records? No known Catholic or civil marriage record for Patrick McNamara and Bridget Connors. They were the parents of nine children in Uggoon between 1872 and 1888. Bridget Connors died between 1888 and 1901; death record could be located. Patrick McNamara was still noted as living in Ireland in the 1935 obituary of his son Matthew living in Washington DC. <Uggoon Upper, Glendree, House 3, House 5> Patrick McNamara, widower, farmer, of Uggoon, died on 22 March 1941. The informant was his son, John McNamara, who reported an age of only 84 years, or born about 1857 — this was clearly understated, based upon census ages, and also since Patrick McNamara had a child in 1872.
......................... 7.1.1 Mary McNamara (1872) arrived in New York on SS Germanic on 10 April 1893, age 21, from Clare, destination Baltimore. Married John J. Hogan, lived in Baltimore, two children.
......................... 7.1.2 Matthew McNamara (1873 - 1935 in Washington DC) arrived in USA in late 1890's according to census reports. Married Anne Moroney in Washington DC in 1909. Worked for Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Three children.
......................... 7.1.3 Anne McNamara (1875 - 1953) married Maurice D. Murphy in September 1904 in DC. Maurice Murphy worked for the Washington DC Fire Department. Four children.
......................... 7.1.4 Patrick McNamara (1877). Listed as survivor living in Ireland in 1953 obituary of sister Anne Murphy — but this was most likely a mistake; see comment for brother John.
......................... 7.1.5 Michael McNamara (1879), arrived in USA in 1909 according to census report. Lived with sister Anne Murphy in Washington DC. Worked at St Matthew's Cathedral according to WWII registration.
......................... 7.1.6 Ellen McNamara (age 18 in 1901). Arrived in New York on the SS Germanic on 20 December 1901 to sister Mary McNamara. Married Frank Keehan and lived in Washington DC, three children. <Uggoon Upper, House 3, x>
......................... 7.1.7 Bridget McNamara (age 17 in 1901 - died prior to 1953) was living in Ireland per brother Matthew's obituary in 1935. <Uggoon Upper, House 3, House 5>
......................... 7.1.8 John McNamara (age 15 in 1901), was the informant on the 1941 death record of his father. According to the 1935 obituary of brother Matthew in USA, he was survived by only "two brothers in Ireland". The 1953 obituary of his sister Mary reported that she was survived by two brothers "Patrick and James" in Ireland. Most likely a mistake by American relatives; "John and James" appear to be the brothers remaining in County Clare. <Uggoon Upper, House 3, House 5>
......................... 7.1.9 James McNamara (age 12 in 1901), born 12 February 1888, listed as survivor living in Ireland in 1953 obituary for sister Anne Murphy. <Uggoon Upper, House 3, House 5>

In the 1921 Rate book for Glendree, the combined acres of Kilmore GV Plots 1 & 2, a total of 173 acres, are shared by the following three individuals:

1) Michael McNamara in House 2a in Kilmore: he is the son of Timothy McNamara, grandson of John McNamara, great grandson of Patrick McNamara; Michael is living in Kilmore House 2 in the 1911 census;

2) Daniel McNamara in House 2b, along with Plots 1 & 2 in Kilmore: he is the son of James McNamara, grandson of Daniel McNamara, great grandson of Patrick McNamara. Daniel McNamara is living in Kilmore House 3 in the 1911 census with his 81 year old father James McNamara. Daniel is 24 years old in 1911 and the 9th of 13 children, but most of his siblings appear to have gone to America?

3) Daniel Murphy in House 2c in Kilmore: he is the son of James Murphy and Margaret Gorman; and the grandson of Patrick Gorman of Plot 1 in GV. Daniel Murphy is living in Kilmore House 1 in the 1911 census.

In the 1921 Rate Book for Glendree, in Uggoon Upper are the following McNamara's:

1) Matthew McNamara in House 8abc, 34 acres, land only, in Uggoon Upper. House and land was leased by Andrew McNamara (husband of Bridget McNamara) in Griffiths Valuation, their younger children were born in Uggoon from 1829 (after 1827 Tithes) to 1836. Andrew died in 1868 in Uggoon. Andrew's son Matthew McNamara had 14 children all born in Uggoon (first wife Judith O'Dea, then Anne Halpin) from 1854 to 1888. Matthew McNamara died in 1894 in Glendree, his family had been evicted from Uggoon in 1891 (see page 10). The Matthew in the 1921 Rate Book (land only) would be their son Matthew McNamara, Junior, born in 1875. They apparently were able to get their Uggoon lands back. Matthew McNamara and his family are living in Glendree House 8 in the 1911 census. I don't believe this family is connected to Patrick McNamara of Kilmore or his descendants. Plot 8 in Uggoon Upper is a bit distant from Kilmore and on the border with Glendree and closer to Glendree Plot 42 also leased by Matthew McNamara.

2) Patrick McNamara in House 13ab, 11 acres, land & house, in Uggoon Upper: he is the son of Matthew McNamara (Plot 13 in GV), and grandson of Patrick McNamara of Kilmore. Patrick McNamara was still living in 1935 as stated in his son Matthew's 1935 obituary from Washington DC. The widower Patrick McNamara and three children are at Uggoon Upper House 5 in the 1911 census.

Edit 1 & 2 (Nov 2020): Many updates based upon additional marriage & death records now available on-line. Edit 3: beefed up (1.6) Anne McNamara & John Canny family
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Jim

That is a huge amount of work on the Kilmore and Uggoon McNamaras. I’ve read it over a couple of times and must say that I am impressed. Good work finding that Currantoo in Tithes is the location of the later Kilmore.

Jim, I’m not convinced that all of those McNamara families are descendants of Patrick (in Tithes). I think it’s a bit ambitious to try to show that they are descendants - bearing in mind the dearth of records for those times and bearing in mind that we are in McNamara territory here, teeming with McNamaras, and not in some McNamara outpost.

Leaving Patrick (as Patriach) aside, I thought the rest of the work stood up well. I think there’s an explanation for John Connellan (1921 Ratebook) – he had married Margaret McNamara, daughter of a Pat McNamara, who, Maybe, was a son of John McNamara (1.0).

Re Daniel (3.0) and his descendants: I wonder if this Catherine (below*) is Daniel’s daughter.

Re Patrick (4.0) and his descendants: The Anne McNamara who married William MacKey is the daughter of some Patrick McNamara, so I agree there’s a fair chance she is the daughter of Patrick from Ugoon. And I agree that “Anne” may have been Honora. A Honora McNamara and husband William McKee lived in Kilbarron, Feakle. (see below**).

Re Catherine (5.0) who married Cornelius O’Gorman: Although you have found no records for this couple, you show a possible connection with the Gormans in Uggoon.

Re Martin (6.0) who died 1878: I think you are right to doubt that Patrick who married Kate Foley is his son. Martin clearly has some connection to the Patrick who reported his death and this Patrick may well be the same Patrick who became owner of Matthew McNamara’s farm (Lot 13AaB in Griffiths Valuation and 1921 Rate Book).

Re Matthew (7.0): You have done great work on the children of his son Patrick – showing that of his nine children (with Bridget O’Connor), only two remained in Uggoon. Good work finding that obituary for Patrick’s son (Martin), which was so informative.

*Marriage Feb. 18, 1872: Catherine McNamara, Glendree, daughter of Daniel McNamara (deceased), married Stephen McNamara, Ayle, widower, son of Daniel McNamara, (deceased), in Tulla chapel.
Feakle Lower Baptisms: 14.12.1874: Bridget of Stephen McNamara and Catherine MacNamara; sponsor: Mary Murphy.
Death 1879: Death of Stephen McNamara, Ayle, aged 60, married, Farmer; informant: James McNamara, Ayle.

Griffith’s Valuation shows a Stephen McNamara living in Ayle, Upper, Feakle, where he is leasing Lot 13 jointly with James Murphy and John Allen. This may not be Stephen who married Catherine, of course. The Ayle Rate Book (1926) shows a Martin McNamara as owner of Lot 13b.

**The 1901 census shows a William McKee aged 70 and his wife, Honoria aged 65, living in Kilbarron (Coolreagh DED) with son Patrick aged 27 and Ellen aged 28. The 1911 census shows William and Honoria McKee are married 47 years. So were married about 1864 , and probably the couple whose marriage was registered in Tulla in 1864.
In 1901 and 1911, the McKee household includes niece and nephew, Norah and William Brody (they may be grandniece and grandnephew). The birth of Norah Brody to William Brody and Mary McKee, Cragroe, was registered in 1892. The birth of William was registered in 1896; informant: Johannah McKee, Kilbarron. The mother, Mary Brody nee McKee, died in 1897, aged 27.

As you say, Jim, the marriage records, when they become viewable, may help to confirm some of the details. Marriage records do not always state whether the father (of the groom or bride) is dead or alive. There was no obligation on the official to record this information, so when it’s given it’s a bonus.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:36 am

Patrick McNamara, born about 1770, of Curraghnatoo Townland at the 1827 Tithes, and possibly of Kilmore Towland at 1855 Griffiths Valuation, and his Unknown Wife (but most likely a Mary, Bridget, Anne, or Honorah) have a great number of descendants in Kilmore and Uggoon, Tulla Parish :

8.0 Jane (Joan **) McNamara (born early 1800's) of Uggoon married John Moloney of Uggoon (deceased prior to 1871) on 24 February 1824, witnesses: James Molony, Martin McCarthy, Mary McCarthy were all from Uggoon.

............ 8.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
............ 8.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)

............ 8.1 Mary Moloney (1829 in Uggoon) of Uggoon married Martin Moloney on 27 July 1858 at Tulla Parish, witnesses Michael Carty, Margaret Molony. Mary and Martin were reported as 4th-4th consanguinity or 3rd cousins. In the 1901 census, Martin Moloney was a blind widower, 70 years old, living with a nephew Patt Connellan (age 40) in Kilmore House 4 (Plot 4?). Martin Moloney died in Tulla Work House on 11 January 1903 at the age of 70. <Glendree, Kilmore, House 4, x>

............ 8.2 Bridget Moloney (1832 in Uggoon)

............ 8.3 Margaret Moloney (1835 in Uggoon)

............ 8.4 Judy Moloney (1837 in Uggoon)

............ 8.5 Jane Moloney (1840 in Uggoon)

............ 8.6 James Moloney, of Uggoon, baptized on 25 September 1842; mother reported as "Mac" with illegible first name; sponsors Daniel McCarthy, Margaret Molony. James Moloney, farmer, of Uggoon, son of John Moloney (deceased), married Bridget Moroney, daughter of James Moroney, of Glendree on 21 February 1871 at Drumcharley Chapel, witnesses Thomas Liddy and Kate Morony. Bridget Molony died prior to 1901; unknown death record. <Uggoon Upper, House 8, House 1> James Moloney, farmer, of Uggoon, widower, age 89 years, died on 6 December 1932; informant grandson James Moloney of Uggoon (Scariff registration).
......................... 8.6.1 Mary Moloney (1872 in Uggoon) sponsors William Moroney, Anne Moroney.
......................... 8.6.2 John Moloney, of Uggoon, baptized 25 August 1873; sponsors John Moroney, Mary Moroney <Uggoon Upper, House 8, House 1> John Moloney, farmer, of Uggoon, son of James Moloney, married Julia Minogue, daughter of Michael Minogue, of Knockaveen, on 10 July 1911, at the Catholic church in Scariff, by the Rev. James Halpin; witnesses James Moroney and Johanna Minogue.
.................................. 8.6.2.1 James Moloney, of Uggoon, born 26 May 1912 (Scariff registration). Informant on civil death record for grandfather James Moloney in 1932.
.................................. 8.6.2.2 Bridget Christine Moloney, of Uggoon, born 31 December 1913 (Scariff registration).
.................................. 8.6.2.3 . . . . .
......................... 8.6.3 Catherine Moloney, of Uggoon, baptized 11 August 1875; Daniel Morony, Catherine Moroany. Was contact person and living at 5 East 125th Street in New York when sister Margaret Moloney arrived in May 1901.
......................... 8.6.4 Anne Moloney (1877 in Uggoon) sponsors Thomas Moroney, Mary Moroney.
......................... 8.6.5 Bridget Moloney (1878 in Uggoon) sponsors Martin McCarthy, Bridget Moroney <Uggoon Upper, House 8, House x>
......................... 8.6.6 Margaret Moloney, of Uggoon, baptized 19 June 1880; sponsors John Moroney, Catherine Moroney <Uggoon Upper, House 8, House x> Margaret Moloney, "age 18", from Tulla, arrived in New York on the SS Germanic on 3 May 1901; her USA contact was sister Catherine McNamara of 5 East 125th Street in New York (Tom McDowell listing).
......................... 8.6.7 Helena "Lena" Moloney, of Uggoon, born on 20 November 1884; informant Bridget Moroney, likely mother, present at birth at Glendree. <Uggoon Upper, House 8, House x> Helena Maloney, "age 20", from Tulla, father James Maloney of Uggoon, arrived in NYC on 7 May 1908 on the SS Teutonic; USA contact was sister, Mrs. Brooks of "Fort Washington", Long Island, NY; most likely Port Washington. Lena Moloney was contact person and residing at 986 Fifth Avenue in New York City for when sister Josephine McNamara arrived in April 1910.
......................... 8.6.8 Josephine Moloney, of Uggoon, born on 14 May 1886; informant her grandmother Catherine Moroney, present at birth in Glendree (Tulla registration). <Uggoon Upper, House 8, House x> Josephine Moloney, age 23, father James Moloney of Glandree, was first booked on the SS Teutonic to arrived in NYC in September 1909; her USA contact was sister Mrs. Brooks of 33 East 39th Street of New York City —but her name was crossed off the passenger listing. Instead, Josephine Moloney, age 23, took the SS Cedric arriving in NYC on 24 April 1919; her USA contact was sister Lena Moloney of 986 Fifth Avenue, NYC (Tom McDowell listing).

** Joan Mack was sponsor for Michael Moloney (likely her nephew through marriage) baptized on 3 July 1845, parents James Moloney and Ellen Nugent of Uggoon. Michael Moloney was the Glandree National School Teacher who composed the poem "The Hills of Sweet Glandree".

In the 1921 Rate book for Glendree, Kilmore Townland:

Plots 1 & 2: as per prior posting

Plot 3: land only, 57 acres: John (James of Upper Uggoon) Moloney: John Moloney, the son of James Moloney, grandson of Joan McNamara, and great grandson of Patrick McNamara. Both John and his father James Moloney are living at Uggoon Upper House 1 in the 1911 census.

Plot 4: offices and land, 37 acres: John Connellan: In the 1901 census, Martin Moloney, a widower, who had been married to his third cousin Mary Molony (daughter of Joan McNamara and John Moloney) was living in House 4 with his nephew Pat Connellan (son of Mary Molony and Patrick Connellan of Gurteenaneelig). Martin Moloney died in 1903; Patrick Connellan died on 25 March 1908 in Kilmore, informant was his brother Martin of Gurteenaneelig. John Connellan of Plot 4 might be another son of Mary Molony (not the granddaughter of Patrick McNamara) and Patrick Connellan born in 1863 in Gurteenanelig. Sheila, on page 10 you mentioned that this was John Connellan, son of Michael Connellan [and Bridget Bane born in 1865], who married Margaret McNamara, the daughter of Patrick McNamara. This is interesting information, but I'm not sure how you would know who is at Plot 4 in Kilmore as there are two John Connellan's born in Gurteenanelig about the same time:
Griffith’s Valuation shows a John McNamara leasing plot 4 in Kilmore (from Major E.F.H. Poclington), but John does not seem to have a dwelling house there. Kilmore is one of the townlands included in Glendree D.E.D. and so the 1921 Rate Book for Glendree gives the new owner of plot 4 a. It is a John Connellan. I then noted that John Connellan was also leasing a farm in Ballyoughtra (O’Callaghan) from Patrick J. Moloney – see the Rate Book for Kiltannon D.E.D.: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... on_ded.htm. This farm in Ballyoughtra (O’Callaghan) - plot 1 b in Griffith’s - had been leased at the time of Griffith’s by John McNamara, jointly with John Rogers and Charles G. O’Callaghan. So, this John McNamara, in Ballyoughtra O’Callaghan, I reckon, must be the same John McNamara in Kilmore.John Connellan was the husband of Margaret McNamara. The civil record shows that John Connellan, Gurteenanelig, Tulla, son of Michael Connellan, married Margaret McNamara, Baloughtra, Tulla, daughter of Patt McNamara, in Knockjames Chapel, on 18th Feb. 1896; witnesses: Martin Connellan, Mary McNamara.

Margaret was born in 1871 to Patrick McNamara, Balloughtra, and Mary O’Brien.

1901 census for Ballyoughtra (O’Callaghan), Kiltannon D.E.D., shows John Connellan, aged 33, his wife, Margaret aged 28, and their children, plus Margaret’s mother, Mary McNamara, aged 58, a widow. I failed to find a record of the death of Margaret’s father, Patrick, so I can’t say when Patrick was born.
I found the civil death record for Patrick MacNamara, married, farmer, age 70, who died on 22 July 1891 in Ballyoughtra. His daughter Kate McNamara was the informant. (Galway Registration District)

A Patrick McNamara, of Kilmore, married Mary Molony in October 1857 . Not sure how this is connected.

Plot 5: land, 37 acres: James (John) Carty:

Plot 6: land, John Moloney: same as Plot 3.

Plots 7 and 8:
are associated with Gortacummer in Kilmore Townland.

Sheila, thanks for your feedback. What is now known as Kilmore Townland, at the time of the Tithe Applotment Books of 1827 was divided between Curraghnatoo Townland and Gortacummer Townland. As you described the shape of Kilmore like a "seat", Curraghnatoo would be the back part of the seat; Gortacummer would be the seat cushion. Patrick McNamara was not just the only McNamara reported in Curraghnatoo in 1827, but the only individual reported in Curraghnatoo. All subsequent references in the Tulla parish baptism and marriage records for Curraghnatoo (with various spellings) were related to McNamara's and only to McNamara's. I believe all those living in Kilmore Townland (excluding the Gortacummer plots) as well as many living in Uggoon Upper are direct descendants of 1827 Patrick McNamara of Curraghnatoo.

Regarding your comment that I'm being overly "ambitious" in thinking that Patrick McNamara would pass his land down to his descendants ... do you mean to tell me Sheila that Curraghnatoo, that land didn't mean anything to Patrick McNamara? Why land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for. Because it's the only thing that lasts. And to the McNamara's, or anyone with a drop of Irish blood in them, why the land they live on is like their mother. Oh but there there now, Sheila, it'll come to you this love of the land. There's no getting away from it if you're Irish.

GWTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSOYTFw0JaA

The Catherine McNamara of "Curghnalohi" who married Cornelius O'Gorman of Moymore in 1837 upon closer inspection did in fact have a child baptized in the Tulla parish records:

"Mary Gonnion (Gorman?)" was baptized in Tulla on 20 October 1840, parents "Connor Gonnion" and "Catherine McNamara" of "Knock" (as in "Knockadoon"?).

In 1863 a Mary Gorman was married in Tullamore Registration Disctrict; online record is not yet available. Tullamore and Moymore are both in D.E.D. of Killaspuglonane; Cornelius Gorman stated that he was from Moymore at his 1837 marriage to Catherine McNamara.

The Kate Gorman who died on 18 April 1894, a widow, age at the age 90, at "Tullaloe" (Scariff Registration), informant her daughter-in-law Bridget Gorman, might still be a good fit for the Catherine McNamara who married Connor Gorman, but I am not sure.

But here is where it gets very confusing...

Connor "Cornelius" Gorman was a witness at the marriage of Patrick Gorman, of Clouny, to "Elon McNamara", of Tereda, in February 1839 in Tulla Parish. I reckon that Connor and Patrick are brothers.

Did Patrick Gorman marry Ellen McNamara, a widow who had been married to John McNamara (son of 1827 Patrick McNamara)? John McNamara and Ellen McNamara had children born through 1837. Did Ellen McNamara become a young widow and marry Patrick Gorman in 1839? Is this why we don't see John McNamara as a baptism sponsor or marriage witness for his siblings?

Is Ellen McNamara the daughter of 1827 Patrick McNamara? Or is John McNamara the son of 1827 Patrick McNamara? Or could there be two Ellen McNamara's: one married to John McNamara (son of Patrick) and the other Ellen (daughter of Patrick) married to Patrick Gorman? The 1864 & 1865 civil marriage records of two children of John McNamara might shed some light on this mystery.

Margaret Gorman is the daughter of Patrick Gorman. Is Margaret Gorman also the half-sister of Anne McNamara whose marriage in 1864 at Tulla Chapel she was a witness?

Does the 1839 marriage of Patrick Gorman explain why the 1855 Griffiths Valuation for Kilmore for Plots 1 and 2 are shared between Patrick Gorman and Patrick McNamara? But if Patrick Gorman married Ellen McNamara who had been married to John McNamara - why is there still a John McNamara listed on the 1855 Griffith Valuation in Plot 4 in Kilmore?

The baptism of Mary Gorman, parents Connor Gorman and Catherine McNamara, state that they were from "Knock", is this "Knockadoon"?. A "Patrick O'Gorman", married, age 77, died on 5 September 1888 at Knockadoon, informant was widow of deceased "Jane O'Gorman". A "Jane O'Gorman", widow, age 82, died on 14 March 1892 at Knockadoon, informant Patrick O'Gorman (no relationship provided). Is the deceased man from 1888 the Patrick Gorman that was married in 1839 to Ellen McNamara? If so, who is "Jane O'Gorman"?

Edit 1: added Bridget Moloney (8.2) as daughter of Joan McNamara; deleted marriage for Margaret McNamara (8.3) as conflicting evidence. Edit 2 (July 2021): greater detail for (8.0) James Moloney and Bridget Moroney family of Glandree
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 am

Hi Jim

Yes, I can see that Patk McNamara is the only person in Curraghnatoo who is deemed liable for the payment tithes. And I feel sure that some of those heads of families listed by you are his children, and that he divided his land among them. But I do not feel so sure that everyone whose father is Patrick McNamara, and/or with an Uggoon address, is a son of that particular Patrick.
Take Jane/Joan McNamara (8.0), for instance: the parish record of her marriage to John Moloney, in 1824, gives her address as Uggoon, but I don’t think we can assume that her father is Patrick from Curraghnatoo. The rest of the work you have done on her descendants, which is so good, is overshadowed (for me) by this Patrick.

But I do think that those McNamaras, whose address in parish records is Curraghnatoo (or my garbled rendering of that placename, i.e. Curghnalohi, Curranaton, etc.), are likely to be grandchildren of Patrick. And so I think that their parents (born before baptism records began) are likely to be the children of Patrick, ie. John (1.0), Mary (2.0) and Catherine (5.0). I would include Daniel here, but I see that you are unsure whether Honora McNamara, of Curran Touhy, baptised 1837, is a daughter of Daniel, or a daughter of John (1.0).

I’m pleased you found Mary Gorman, the daughter of Catherine McNamara and Cornelius Gorman, in spite of my mistranscription of Gorman as Gonnion! Killaspuglonane is a parish in North Clare, not far from Ennistymon, so the marriage you found is probably not for the daughter of Catherine and Cornelius.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Jim

I’ve been looking at the information on Tulla parish ( http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... parish.htm) and in particular at the Books of Survey and Distribution (post Cromwellian conquest) and I see that Kilmore had, up to that point, belonged to Teige, son of Daniel Reagh MacNamara, Esq., and was then granted to Murtagh Dowling and Edmond Magrath. Teige probably remained in situ as a tenant. Maybe Patrick in Tithes is a descendant of Teige (note: Timothy is a version of Teige).
I wonder if this Teige is the same Teige who was dispossessed of various other lands in Tulla parish (with the exception of Lismeehan)?

The information on Feakle parish ( http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... feacle.htm) gives “the castle of Feakle (properly Lecarrow)” as the property of Donald Reagh MacNamara (“now utterly demolished”): http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... parish.htm.

The Books of Survey and Distributions for Feakle parish show that Teige, son of Daniel Reagh MacNamara, was dispossessed of lands there also.
The Ejectment Books (150 years later) show that a Thady McNamara threatened to evict some tenants in Lecarrow – I think this Thady may be a descendant of Daniel Reagh.

It’s interesting to note that, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, Major E. H. F. Pocklington was landlord for six townlands in Feakle parish (including Lecarrow Upper), but landlord for only one in Tulla parish, the townland of Kilmore: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ffithp.htm

Jim, I think you may be right when you say that Daniel (3.0 - married to Anne Nugent) is a son of Patrick.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:06 am

Hi Sheila, thanks for all your feedback on the McNamara's of Kilmore and Uggoon. Interesting to see that the name "Daniel" ("Teige, son of Daniel Reigh MacNamara") was associated with Kilmore all the way back to 1641.

I made a mistake on 1855 Kilmore Townland. Plots 3 through 5 of Kilmore in Griffith Valuation were reported in the 1827 Tithe Applotment books as "Derryquin" and "Derryknock". These locations appear on the 1827 Tithe listing as they do geographically between Gurtcummer and Curraghnatoo. I previously thought that Patrick McNamara had leased these plots in 1827 as part of Curraghnatoo, and any later tenancy in 1855 might indicate a division of his property to a son-in-law. That is incorrect.

Re. Joan McNamara Moloney (8.0): John Moloney of Uggoon married Joan McNamara of Uggoon in 1824. John Moloney of Kilmore Plot 3, 57 acres, in the 1855 Griffith Valuation did not "marry in". In the 1827 Tithes this plot was likely in "Derryknock" and leased by "Matt Moloney". In the 1921 Rate Book, plot 3 is still held by a John Moloney, the grandson of John Moloney and Joan McNamara.

Kilmore Plot 4 of Griffith Valuation belonging to John McNamara, 37 acres, I'm not sure if this was in Derryknock or Derryquin at the time of 1827 Tithes. There were five families reported in 1827 Tithes in Derryknock and Derryquin that do not appear in Griffith Valuation; John McNamara could have obtained the leasehold from one of them. By the 1921 Rate Book, John Connellan held Plot 4, he was a nephew of Martin Moloney (he had married Mary Moloney daughter of Joan McNamara).

Kilmore Plot 5 of Griffith Valuation, 37 acres, was held by Denis Sullivan. In 1827 Tithes it had been leased by John Conway of Derryquin. Denis Sullivan, of Uggoon, married Anne Conway, of Derryquin, on 28 July 1852 in Tulla Parish, witnesses Michael Molony of Feakle and Bridget Molony of Feakle. The Tulla baptism records for their children all state "Derryquin" as residence. Dennis Sullivan died in Kilmore (age 70) on 6 July 1898. Patrick O'Gorman of Quin, son of John O'Gorman (alive), farmer, married Catherine Sullivan of Kilmore, daughter of Dennis Sullivan (dead), on 30 July 1899 at Drumcharley Chapel. In the 1901 Census in House 5 in Kilmore there is a Patrick O'Gorman (age 47), wife Kate O'Gorman (age 38), mother-in-law Anne [Conway] O'Sullivan (age 83), sister-in-law Jane O'Sullivan (age 36). By the 1921 Rate, the 37 acres of Plot 5 are held by James McCarthy, son of John McCarthy. I don't see a family connection for the transfer reflected in 1921, but there doesn't need to be.

A few edits to the prior family tree for Joan McNamara (8.0)... her daughter Margaret Moloney, based upon age at death, did not marry Martin Connellan. But I did find another daughter Bridget baptized on 30 January 1832. Her mother was reported as "Jane Mac" and father was a difficult to read Moroney vs Moloney. I've made these two edits above.

There is still a good possibility that Joan McNamara "of Uggoon" was actually from "Curraghnatoo". Prior to the use of "Kilmore" after 1862 these terms were used interchangeably (for example, see baptism records for children of John McNamara and Daniel McNamara of Kilmore). While there were many McNamara's in Tulla Parish as well as Glendree Townland, there were only two McNamara families in Kilmore and Uggoon Townlands: (1) descendants of Patrick McNamara of Kilmore (2) family of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara who moved to Uggoon from Glandree prior to 1827. Joan McNamara was too old to be a daughter of Andrew and Bridget McNamara.

Re. Catherine McNamara (5.0): I reckon the explanation that Kilmore lands were transferred to Patrick O'Gorman based upon his marriage to an Ellen McNamara, who might be the widow of John McNamara, all a bit fanciful. A more likely explanation is that initially Patrick McNamara of Curraghnatoo divided his land three ways between sons John McNamara and Daniel McNamara and son-in-law Cornelius O'Gorman (husband of Catherine McNamara). The fact that Cornelius and Catherine O'Gorman appear in the Tulla baptism register only once with the baptism of Mary Gorman in 1840, might suggest that the parents died in the Great Famine or perhaps immigrated to America? If either were the case, the land could have transferred to Patrick O'Gorman, the brother of Cornelius. Patrick O'Gorman happened to have been married to a McNamara but this may not have had any bearing why Plots 1 and 2 are reported as shared by Patrick McNamara and Patrick O'Gorman by 1855.

By the 1921 Rate Book, Daniel Murphy, the grandson of Patrick Gorman, lives in Kilmore House 2c and shares the 173 acres of Plots 1 and 2 with two McNamara great grandsons of 1827 Patrick McNamara in houses 2a and 2b.

This sharing of property between three families may not have been the best set up. Margaret Murphy (daughter of Patrick Gorman) of Kilmore was the petty session complainant against James McNamara of Kilmore for "allowing cattle to trespass on complainants potatoes at Kilmore as follows: 8 head on 6th [of August] and 5 head on the 16th August 1885".

And thanks Sheila for the explanation on Moymore. That is the second time on this thread that I confused Moymore in Tulla Parish with a very distant Moymore. And I agree that Mary Gorman unlikely got married there. Kate Gorman is also a common name, and I don't believe there is a connection to the 1894 death record to the McNamara's of Kilmore.

Re. Daniel McNamara (3.0): his daughter Honora was baptized in 1837 when the family resided at "Curran Tuohy" (Curraghnatoo). This isn't in doubt. I'm not 100% sure if she is the same Honora McNamara of Kilmore who married Martin Kennedy. The bride may have been her first cousin: Honora McNamara, daughter of James McNamara. Based upon Honora Kennedy's age at death I most likely have got it correct.

As further evidence, besides the Curraghnatoo location, that Daniel McNamara is a son of 1827 Patrick McNamara, Daniel appears as a witness at the marriage of his sister Catherine, as well as sponsor at the baptisms for one nephew and two nieces (whose parents are all highly likely children of Patrick McNamara). Your last posting also provided the historical use of the name "Daniel" for the McNamara family.

Regarding your earlier comment about this 1872 marriage: Catherine McNamara, Glendree, daughter of Daniel McNamara (deceased), married Stephen McNamara, Ayle, widower, son of Daniel McNamara, (deceased), in Tulla chapel. There are several Daniel McNamara's from Tulla parish that could have been the father of Catherine McNamara (for example, Dan McNamara married to Anne Halloran). Plus, the Daniel McNamara of Kilmore does not appear to have been deceased in 1872 as he was not reported as such at the marriage of his son Michael McNamara in 1877. Finally, the Catherine who married in 1872 lived in Glandree, and not Kilmore.

I do believe the Patrick McNamara of Kilmore who married Mary Moloney in October 1857 would be the son of Daniel McNamara of Kilmore. This couple do not appear in a subsequent baptism register for Tulla. Perhaps they left for America?

Re. Patrick McNamara (4.0): there was a "Patrick MacNamara of Curranaton" as a witness at the marriage of Mary McNamara of Curranaton in 1820. A "Patrick McNamara" is also a witness at the 1837 marriage of Catherine McNamara of "Curghnalohi" in 1837. Most likely this is the same Patrick McNamara married to Mary Hogan who had five children in Uggoon from 1831 through 1837. My consideration that this Patrick McNamara might be the 1827 Patrick McNamara is very unlikely as he would not name a daughter "Mary" in 1832 & 1837 when he already had a daughter Mary (2.0) who married Michael Canny in Kilduff.

Sheila, I have big doubts that Patrick's daughter Honora McNamara born in 1834 married William McKey in 1864 as you previously suggested. She would have been 30 years old, a bit old to get married in this era. I think it more likely that Honora was born in the missing pages of the Tulla baptism register: May through July 1841; January through March 1844. And thus be about 21 or 24 years old when married. There are many other Patrick McNamara's in Tulla that could be her father in 1841 or 1844. Including parents Patrick McNamara and Nancy Couny; Patrick McNamara and Catherine Couny; and perhaps others with a father named Patrick. It will be interesting when the civil record for this 1864 marriage becomes available what residence is provided.

Also, the Patrick McNamara who died in 1881 in Tulla Workhouse could be one of many people.

I reckon it's more likely that this Patrick McNamara (4.0) had died prior to the three way split of the Curraghnatoo lands (Kilmore Plots 1 and 2) of Patrick McNamara of the 1827 Tithes. There is no definitive record of the Patrick McNamara married to Mary Hogan or any of their children past the year 1837 in Uggoon.

Re. Martin McNamara (6.0): the only evidence linking this Martin to 1827 Patrick McNamara of Curraghnatoo is that Dan McNamara (a known or at least highly suspected son of 1827 Patrick McNamara) was sponsor at the baptism of his son Patrick in 1819.

Sheila, as you previously pointed out, there was a Martin McNamara in the Tulla baptisms 1819-1846, married to Judy McMahon, residence Glendree. The baptisms included four children including:
16.07.1840: Pat of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree; sponsors: Tom and Mary Mac.

Since their residence is Glendree in the baptism records, and not Uggoon, I think the Patrick McNamara who married Bridget Connors is more likely to be the son of Matthew McNamara (7.0) of Uggoon (same name as Patrick's first born son). Plus, Patrick was still alive in 1935 according to his son's obituary. This would be more likely if he was born closer to 1850 than 1840, but both are possible.

Re. Matthew McNamara (7.0): Matthew leased Uggoon Plot 13 in 1855 which is adjacent to the McNamara lands in Kilmore. But is he the Matthew McNamara of Tulla who died in 1868 at the age of 70? The civil records aren't available yet online for this record, but assuming that this is the same Matthew... Plot 13 was only 11 acres, a very small farm - did Matthew McNamara have any other sources of income? Matthew does not appear as a sponsor or witness in the Tulla parish records for any of his siblings - where was he? Based upon the birth year of his son Patrick in the 1840's, Matthew appears to have married very late in life. What was this Matthew getting up to in his 20's and 30's? When the 1868 civil death record for Matthew McNamara becomes available it will be very interesting to see if it states "British Military Pensioner". The Matthew McNamara who died in 1868 at the age of 70 would have turned 18 years old in about 1816 - the Napoleonic Wars would have only just finished. But the vast British empire always had a need for new recruits, could Matthew have enlisted in the military? This theory would explain Matthew's apparent absence from Tulla records until the 1855 Griffith Valuation. Might also explain why there is no record of either Matthew's marriage (to an unknown spouse) or of the birth of his son Patrick in the 1840's. Could both have taken place outside Tulla Parish perhaps at a barrack town in County Clare?

If this theory is correct, it is likely that Matthew McNamara married a much younger woman who may have outlived him. Will be interesting to see if Matthew McNamara was "married" or a "widower" at his 1868 death. I reckon Matthew McNamara's wife had the same first name as one of Patrick's daughters: Mary, Anne, Ellen or Bridget.

Patrick McNamara and his wife Bridget Connors appear as sponsors at the 1880 baptism of Patrick McNamara, son of James McNamara (Patrick's likely first cousin) and Bridget McCarthy of Kilmore. This is evidence of a link between the families, and increases the probability that Matthew is indeed the son of 1827 Patrick McNamara of Curraghnatoo.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:41 am

Hi Jim

I read through all of that with interest. I am pleased about the discovery of the location of Derryquin.
Re Honora McNamara, daughter of Daniel McNamara and Anne Nugent: I agree that the address at her baptism shows that Daniel was living in Carran Touhy, and I agree that this supports your theory that he was a son of Patrick in Tithes. I am still a bit wary of saying (very decisively) that Patrick is the only person who could have been the father of all the McNamaras living in Carranaghtoo. The father/s of some of them, at least, might have died prior to the drawing-up of the Tithe Applotment Books. There was the “lesser” famine in 1822, caused by a cold, wet season, and we know from correspondence from that time that it brought fever among the people*. The effects of the “Year Without a Summer” (1816) are scarcely mentioned in Irish history, and this indicates that the effects of 1822 were much more severe.

Jim, you say “There were only two McNamara families in Kilmore and Uggoon Townlands (1) descendants of Patrick McNamara of Kilmore (2) family of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara who moved to Uggoon from Glandree prior to 1827”. But I’m not sure that you can be so decisive about all of that. Apart from my doubts about Patrick being the Patriarch in Kilmore, there is John in Lot 4* to be considered – or do you still think he must be a son of Patrick? And, then, how can you be so sure that Andrew in Uggoon had moved there from Glendree? And what about Matthew McNamara (7.0), who is also living in Uggoon (Lot 13) at the time of Griffith’s? I agree that Patrick, who married Bridget O’Connor, is probably Matthew’s son, but I don’t see how you can decide that Matthew is the son of Patrick of Curranaghtoo in Tithes.

*The John McNamara, who was leasing Lot 4 in Kilmore at the time of Griffith’s, may have vacated the house there (which seems to have been a very small house indeed, and maybe just a foothold). The 25” map shows that the house is vacant. As you noted, it is land only by 1921.

Something else I am wary of is deciding that sponsors at baptisms are siblings of the parents. I think we must allow that they might be neighbours – unless, or course, there are no neighbours of that surname in the vicinity - and we must also allow that they might be siblings of the baby - children as young as 10 years old were allowed to act as sponsors.

I fully agree that Catherine McNamara from Glendree (who married Stephen McNamara in 1878) might easily be the daughter of some other Daniel McNamara. And fully agree that Honora/Anne McNamara (who married William McKey in 1864) might be the daughter of any one of the various Patrick McNamaras living in Tulla at that time.

Jim, on a different topic, you will remember that, some time ago, we wondered if there were any priests among the McNamaras. Well, when I was looking at the information on Feakle parish, I found a Revd Michael McNamara, who erected a tomb in 1792 in memory of his parents, Denis and Margaret McNamara (no address) (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... feakle.htm). I believe that this Revd McNamara would have trained for the priesthood somewhere in Spain, France, or Begium, and, therefore, come from a comfortably-off family.
Another tomb mentioned in the same piece is one for Michael McNamara of Laccarue: Here lies the body of Michl | McNamara of Laccarue who | depd this life Feb 11th, 1823 Aged 65 years | Erected by his | Son Thady McNamara for the | use of him and his posterity | May the Lord have mercy | on his soul, Amen. I think these are descendants of Daniel Reagh McNamara.

This led me to look at the McNamara burials in Feakle graveyard and I noticed that this is the burial place of James McNamara and his wife, Margaret, from Glandree, (and Ambrose). It’s also the burial place for Patrick and Catherine McNamara, Glandree Upper, and their son Patrick and his wife, Catherine: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ptions.htm
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... tions2.htm

I think that Feakle graveyard, as the family burial place, supports your theory that James McNamara was connected to the McNamaras in Maherabaun (in Feakle parish). The Sheedy McNamaras, on the other hand, seem to have been buried in Tulla graveyard – at least the notice of the death of Patrick (husband of Ellen), published in the Clare Champion, 21 June, 1913, says that he was buried with his ancestors on the Hill of Tulla.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:58 am

Hi Jim

I’ve relented and come around now to agreeing with you that Matthew McNamara in Lot 13 AaB, Uggoon Upper, may be related to Patrick McNamara in Lots 1 and 2 in Kilmore. I've been looking at the Griffith’s map on askaboutireland.ie and I see (as you pointed out to me) that one half of Matthew’s farm, Lot 13B, is adjacent to Lots 1 and 2 in Kilmore, and that the other half of his farm is at the other side of Lot 12A, and this is where his house is situated. And I see that both these halves of Matthew’s farm are quite a distance from Andrew McNamara’s Lot 8, which is adjacent to Glendree.
Lot 12A, the farm between those two halves of Matthew’s farm, is leased by Daniel Kilfoyle, while Lot 14 is leased by Matthew and Daniel, jointly. It’s very likely that there was a connection, maybe by marriage, between Matthew and Daniel Kilfoyle. Note: Kilfoyle is the same name as Powell – the earlier records give Kilfoyle, the later records give Powell*.

*Bridget Powell (witness at the marriage of Catherine McNamara and Stephen McNamara 1872) may have been known also as Bridget Kilfoyle - the name Kilfoyle, or Guilfoyle is the same name as Powell. The Kilfoyles, who are tenants in Uggoon at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, are called Powell by the end of the century.
The 1921 Rate Book for Glendree DED (which includes Uggoon) shows that the land, which had been held by the Kilfoyles, was now owned by the Cooneys. This came about when Denis Cooney married Mary Powell in 1876: Denis Cooney, Glendree, Farmer, son of James Cooney, married Mary Powell, Uggoon, daughter of Daniel Powell, on13.02.1876, in Drumcharley chapel; witnesses: Patt Moloney, Anne McNamara.
Some of the births to this couple are recorded in Tulla baptisms 1862-1875:
02.06.1877: Johanna of Denis Cooney and Maria Powell, Uggoon; sponsors: Patrick Molony, Honora McNamara.
21.09.1878: Mary of Denis Cooney and Maria Powell, Uggoon; sponsors: John Cooney, Honora Meally.
24.04.1880: Mary of Denis Cooney and Maria Powel, Uggoon; sponsors: Michael Cooney, Mary Rodgers.
There were more births to this couple after 1880.

Jim, I’ve looked on this site for McNamara headstones that might be of interest: https://historicgraves.com/graveyard/tulla/cl-tula,
I found Thady and Bridget McNamara, of Kilmore, on page 10. And a McNamara family, Glendree, Feakle (!), on page 17.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 am

Hi Sheila,

I'm glad you are now on board with Matthew McNamara and the location of his land was the vital clue. I knew that someday the importance of land to the McNamara's, or to anyone with a drop of Irish blood, would come to you. There is no getting away from it if you are Irish.

Of the eight descendants of Patrick McNamara of Curranaghtoo, I reckon Matthew, Martin, and Patrick are the least supported. Perhaps another day an old newspaper article, death record, criminal proceeding, British military pension, American probate record, or passenger ship listing will surface to shed more light upon the McNamara's of Kilmore and Uggoon. This latest process has greatly improved our knowledge on the McNamara's of Kilmore and Uggoon, so it is always good to circle back to see if any prior theories still stand or perhaps are now even more highly supported:

Mary McNamara, of Uggoon, married Corney McGrath, of Liskennee, on 14 February 1836; witnesses Andrew McNamara of Uggoon, Michael McNamara of Glandree.

Who could be the parents of Mary McNamara of Uggoon ?

The likely death record (not yet available online) of Mary McGrath states that she died on 11 December 1902, at the age of 87 years, so Mary McNamara was born about 1816. She resided in Uggoon at the time of her marriage which greatly reduces the possibilities. The eight identified children of Patrick McNamara of Curraghnatoo were likely born in the 1790's or early 1800's, and thus Mary McNamara would not be a good fit to be a daughter of Patrick of the 1827 Tithes. She could possibly be the daughter of John McNamara (son of Patrick McNamara), but John McNamara and Ellen McNamara had a daughter Mary in 1828 who most certainly did not get married in 1836. The other brother Daniel McNamara married in 1828; Martin McNamara is a slight possibility but unlikely given other evidence. The only logical choice for her parents are Bridget McNamara and Andrew McNamara who have a child baptized in Glandree in 1819 but whose marriage was prior to the start of the 1819 Tulla records.

The marriage witnesses were Andrew McNamara of Uggoon (her father?) and Michael McNamara of Glandree, a likely Sheedy relative from Glandree that highlights that the family of Andrew McNamara had moved from Glandree to Uggoon sometime prior to the 1827 Tithes.

At the baptism of her first child in 1837, the sponsors are: Matthew and Catherine McNamara - both children of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara.

When Mary was born in 1816 her mother would have been about 23 years old. When Mary McNamara married Cornelius McGrath in 1836, she would have been 20 years old. These ages are a good fit.

Beyond reasonable doubt, Mary McNamara who married Cornelius McGrath is the daughter of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara. This now leaves Michael McNamara whose parentage has also been questioned. When their family tree was being constructed (see page 13), I was aware of the missing Tulla baptism page for the period of March 1822 through August 1825. This missing period accounts for the birth of son Matthew McNamara who died on 7 April 1894 at the age of 70 in Glandree (the family had been evicted from their Uggoon lands). But I was not aware of the missing Tulla baptism page for the period of June 1826 through May 1827. This missing period would account for the birth of Michael McNamara who died on 29 March 1889 at the age of 64 years (give or take a year on the accuracy of his age). Brothers Matthew and Michael both named their eldest sons Andrew after their father. The two brothers married Halpin sisters. I really don't think there is any doubt that Bridget McNamara and Andrew McNamara had 12 children born in Glandree and later in Uggoon. But did they only have 12 children?

As previously stated, I believe that Bridget McNamara, married to Andrew McNamara, was a Sheedy McNamara. While Bridget and Andrew McNamara already had 12 children born between 1816 and 1836 (a classic twenty year period), it is very likely that they had one more child prior to the start of the 1819 baptism register. All Sheedy McNamara's (see family groups on page 13) have a daughter named Margaret. Where is their Margaret McNamara?

1.0 Bridget [Sheedy??] McNamara (1793 - 1883 in Uggoon) and Andrew McNamara (1780 - 1869, at age 89 in Uggoon )

............ 1.1 Mary McNamara (born about 1816, age 84 in 1901 census) of Uggoon married in February 1836 to Cornelius McGrath (died before 1901) of Liskennee. Most likely Mary McGrath died on 11 December 1902, at the age of 87 at Tulla registration district (online record not yet available). <Ballyblood, House 21, x>
......................... 1.1.1 Patt McGrath (1837) sponsors Matt and Cath McNamara <Ballyblood, House 21, House 14>
......................... 1.1.2 Dan McGrath (1839) (no research done on other McGrath's of Ballyblood)
......................... 1.1.3 James McGrath (1840)
......................... 1.1.4 John McGrath (1844)
......................... 1.1.5 Cornelius McGrath (1846)
......................... 1.1.6 Mary McGrath (1848)
......................... 1.1.7 Kate McGrath (1850)
......................... 1.1.8 Margaret McGrath (1852)
......................... 1.1.9 Michael McGrath (1853)
......................... 1.1.10 Michael McGrath (1858)
............ 1.? other baptisms prior to start of 1819 register, a daughter named Margaret?
............ 1.2 John McNamara (1819 in Glandree), sponsor Andrew McNamara
............ 1.3 Patrick McNamara (1820 in Glandree)
............ 1.4 Catherine McNamara (1821 no location in Tulla given), sponsor Michael McDole
............ 1.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
............ 1.5 Matthew McNamara (1824* - 1894) married in January 1854 to Joanne "Susanna" O'Dea (1829 - prior to 1867) of Drumcharley, then as a widower married in 1867 to Anne Halpin of Ballyoughtra
............ 1.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)
............ 1.6 Michael McNamara (1826* - 1889, at age 64) of Uggoon married in January 1853 to Margaret Halpin (died 1884, at age 49) of Ballyoughtra
............ 1.7 Andrew McNamara (1828 in Uggoon - prior to 1835), sponsor Michael Sheedy
............ 1.8 Stephen McNamara (1829 in Uggoon)
............ 1.9 Miles McNamara (1831 in Glandree)
............ 1.10 Bridget McNamara (1833 in Uggoon)
............ 1.11 Andrew McNamara (1835 in Uggoon)
............ 1.12 Johanna McNamara (1836 in Uggoon)

* baptism record not found in Tulla baptism register; most likely recorded on missing pages torn from register (possibly to support an American Civil War widow application and thus might show up some day in the American Archives).

Sheila, thanks for pointing out that the burial location in Feakle of James McNamara and Margaret Bowles McNamara increases the likelihood that James was indeed from Magherabane as I had suspected. Coincidentally, I have also just come across another record for this family that sheds light on a small mystery. One thing that I found very unbelievable was that Margaret Bowles McNamara remained in long term contact with her two brothers who arrived in Australia in 1866. I just could not see Patrick and James Bowles in the Victorian mine fields writing to their sister in Ireland on any regular basis, but had no evidence to prove this point. Well just the other day I had a quick look in the trove newspaper database for a different "James McNamara" (associated with the Guerin's of South Australia and most surely Tulla) and stumbled upon this newspaper article, which confirms that the brothers indeed failed to write to their sister:
BOWLES: James and Patrick Bowles left
Glandaru, Tulla, County Clare, in 1866. When last
heard from they were in Ballarat, Victoria. Their
sister Mrs. James McNamara, Glandaru, Tulla,
County Clare, enquires.

"LONG-LOST RELATIVES." Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) 19 October 1895: 13. Web. 15 Apr 2019 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article161829203>.
Margaret Bowles McNamara of Glandree could have gone decades without hearing from her brothers in Australia, but we know from the 1915 obituary of her other brother Henry Bowles in Pittsburgh that the family appears to have renewed contact. Mary McNamara Madigan of Barnsley Yorkshire also searched for her missing brother in New York with advertisements in newspapers in 1869 and 1879. Did Mary succeed in finding the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree?

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am

Hi Jim

I agree that there’s a strong possibility that Mary McNamara, who married Cornelius McGrath in 1836, was a daughter of Andrew and Bridget, but when you add her into the chart listing their children, I think you should indicate in some way that there is no actual record showing who her parents were. Likewise with the Michael whom you have put forward as another of their children - I agree, by the way, that it is quite likely that Michael is their child.

If we accept that Mary McNamara, who married Corney McGrath, was a daughter of Bridget and Andrew, it follows that Mary Madigan was not one of their children. So it looks more and more likely that the Andrew, who was witness at the McNamara-Madigan marriage, was a cousin, and not a brother (you will remember that Mary McNamara, the daughter of Andrew McNamara and Margaret Clanchy, married Richard Nash).

Jim, I notice that, in spite of my cautionary remarks, you are still speaking of “the eight descendants of Patrick McNamara of Curranaghtoo”, but I will let it pass this time, given that you then add that Matthew, Martin and Patrick are the least supported.

Going back, briefly, to McNamaras in Uggoon Upper:
Here’s a baptism which shows a connection between the Kilfoyles and the McNamaras: Feb. 1840: John of John Kilfoyle and Mary McNamara, Uggoon; sponsors: Dan Kilfoyle, Bridget McNamara.

I notice that I’ve very often mistranscribed Gorman as “Gonnan”. The transcription of the marriage of Daniel Kilfoyle, 28.02.1843, is “Daniel Kilfoyle to Margaret Gorman(Gonnan?); sponsors: Con Brody, Michael Kilfoyle”. But the transcriptions of the baptisms of their children give Margaret as Margaret “Gonnan”- that should be Gorman.

Another record of interest is this one: ??.01.1842: Mary of Mat McNamara and Biddy Powel(?), but, looking at the original (page 102 right online), I really don’t know how I decided on “Powel”.

Good work, Jim, finding that newspaper notice searching for Bowles.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am

Just one other Uggoon note: I was surprised to hear that Patrick McNamara was still alive in 1935, so I looked at the death records and see that Patt McNamara, Uggoon, died 22.03.1941, aged 84, widower; informant: John, son of deceased, Uggoon.

If this age is correct, it certainly does not tally with age 72 in 1911, or even with age 57 in 1901. If the age is correct, it means Patrick was not born until about 1857. I looked once again for his marriage to Bridget O’Connor, which I imagine (from the baptisms of their children) took place about 1870-1871, but failed to find it.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

Well, I’ve got something wrong there. If Patrick married about 1871, he can’t have been born as late as 1857. His age in the death record must be about 10 years too young. Or is that death record for some other Patrick? The informant is John, son of deceased, and I see that there was no John* listed among the surviving relatives listed in the obituary for Matthew in 1935.
*According to Tom McDowell's list of emigrants, John made a couple of bookings to go to America - the second one is crossed out.

If Patrick’s age (53) in 1901 is correct, then he was born about 1847. And if he was born in 1847, the best fit I can find for his baptism is in the 1846-1862 register: 05.03.1847: Patrick MacNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon; sponsors: Harry McMahon, Cate Fahy (page 12). I think “Fahy” should be Foley. There’s no address, but the address given the other children of that couple is Glendree.

Martin MacNamara was from Feakle. He married Judy McMahon, Glandree, on 14.02.1836; witnesses: Silvy Hehir, Tulla, Peter Lillis, Tulla. (page 44 of 1819 – 1846 marriage register). I think it’s worth noting that Martin and Jane had a daughter, Mary, born in 1839* – which is about the time that Mary Madigan was born. But, alas, there is no record for an Elizabeth, nor for a Thomas.
*07.06.1839: Mary MacNamara of Martin MacNamara and Jane McMahon (no address); sponsor: Michael McMahon, Mary (?). (page 90, right).

But, whether this Martin is the same Martin who died in Uggoon in 1878, aged 81, is questionable. It would mean that Martin was aged 38 when he married Judy/Jane McMahon.

Sheila