Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:43 am

Hi Jimbo

Thank you for another great piece of genealogy. The surname, Walker, reminds me of the post by Sharon Carberry on page 2 of this thread, in particular the 1850 NYC census showing Anne Walker, aged 23, Michael Walker (b. New York) aged 1, Honora McNamara, aged 60, and Eliza McNamara, aged 15.

I am also reminded of Sarah Walker, a servant, at the house of Fr. Thomas Considine in Ballylarra (Ardrahan), Co. Galway, who (helpfully) gives her county of birth as Kilkishen, Co. Clare: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... a/1382822/. I did some work a few years ago in order to find Sarah in Clare:
1911 census: Ellen McNamara, aged 40, single, Catherine Street (Limerick No. 8 Urban) Limerick. And sisters, Sarah Walker, aged 45, widow, and Lizzie McNamara, aged 38, single, and John Walker, aged 18, nephew. All four from Co. Clare. Also some Boarders.
Sarah McNamara had married Michael Walker in Aug. 1890; the record shows that Michael, a widower, was a shopkeeper in Kilkishen, son of Henry Walker, and that Sarah was a daughter of Rody McNamara, Enagh. The marriage took place in O’Callaghan’s Mills chapel; witnesses: James Clune, Margaret McNamara. Michael’s first wife, Mary Hoey, whom he’d married in 1885, had died in May 1890. Sara died in 1936, aged 81, Sixmilebridge, widow of Michael Walker, Shopkeeper; informant: Margaret J. Walker, Daughter in Law, Sixmilebridge.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:43 am

Those Walkers were to have yet another connection to the McNamaras: John Walker (Sarah’s son) married Margaret J. McNamara on 28th Dec 1931: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 268676.pdf
Margaret Josephine was born 14 Aug 1900 to Daniel McNamara and Margaret Bugler, Kilanena, Clonlea parish: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 763390.pdf

I wonder if this McNamara family living in Catherine Street in 1901 was related to Roger/Rody in Enagh East, Clonlea parish:
1901 census, Catherine Street, Limerick: John McNamara, Hotel Keeper, from Co. Clare, and Mary E[lizabeth] [Ryan], and children, including Roger, aged 16: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... f/1502691/
Roger, born in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick, on 20 Jul 1884, was called Roger Callaghan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 985628.pdf
In 1911 he is Callaghan McNamara, a Post Office Clerk, and living with his mother, Mary E., now a widow, in House 46, Catherine Street, some houses away from Ellen, Sarah and Lizzie (in House 57): http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... et/631975/
I failed to find a record of the marriage of John McNamara to Mary E. Ryan – probably circa 1883.

Sheila

P.S. The limerickcity.ie site includes “References to ‘Hotels’ in Limerick City Trades Directories, 1769-1891”. This shows that Mary Elizabeth McNamara’s hotel was called Commercial Hotel: http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/hotels%2001.pdf. It may be the refurbished building now called The Commercial: https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... -life.html

P.P.S. I see now that a John McNamara of Rody McNamara and Honoria {O'Meara], Enagh, was baptised in O'Callaghan's Mills parish on 31 Mar 1849. This birth fits well with the age (50) given by John McNamara in 1901.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:24 am

Hi Sheila,

The two Walker sisters, one of whom ended up in Australia, also reminded me of Anne Walker who was living in the 6th Ward of New York City in the 1850 Census with her young son, Michael Walker, as well as Honora McNamara (age 60) and Eliza McNamara (age 15). "The Bloody Ould Sixth Ward" included the Five Points neighborhood and was not the best place for Anne Walker, a single mother, to raise her child. Her later move to Hell's Kitchen was not an improvement. Will expand more on their story another day. If by the 1855 census, Eliza McNamara had left Five Points and gone to Wawarsing in Ulster County and married John Hornbeck, of an established American family prominent in the Dutch Reformed Church, that would certainly have been an amazing transformation. However, it is extremely unlikely that Eliza McNamara of Five Points married John Hornbeck and was the sister of the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree.

I updated the family tree (page 50) for the descendants of Richard Walker and Honorah Madigan to reflect additional research on Mary McNamara who was married to Andrew Rodgers. As suspected, the Rodgers family, who disappeared from Hamilton, Victoria, immigrated to New Zealand. I discovered their deaths in Auckland on the findagrave website and confirmed their identities with newspaper obituaries from the National Library of New Zealand's "Papers Past" website. Mary McNamara Rodgers died in 1931 at the age of 82, having spent 19 years of her life in Ireland, about 50 years in Australia, and another 13 years in New Zealand.

The big mystery remains James O'Connor, the husband of Bridget Walker, who died in 1871 in Hamilton, Victoria, at the reported age of 85 years. James O'Connor, born about 1785, must have been around 70 years old when he immigrated to Australia. Although I did not discover the passenger listing for his arrival, it must have been after 1853 (the birth of his daughter, Mary). He was not your typical Irish immigrant to Australia.

And while I also could not locate the marriage record for James O'Connor and Bridget Walker, I doubt very much it was his first rodeo. James would have been 65 years old when his son, Michael O'Connor, was born in 1850, with the residence of "Driminure". In reviewing the Tulla marriage register, he must be the James O'Connor, of "Driminure" who married Bridget Keleher of Cragroe in 1819, when James would have been 34 years old.

"Driminure" is not a townland in County Clare. I searched the British Newspaper Archives for information on "Driminure" and "Drimanure" and was surprised to learn that James O'Connor appeared to have been a prosperous farmer in Tulla Parish in his younger days:
REGISTRY OF FREEHOLDS.
County of Clare, Division of Tulla
A List of Notices to Register Freeholds, at Tulla Quarter Sessions, 26th March, 1840, at Ten O'Clock in the Forenoon.
. . . [alphabetical list of names] . . .

75 George O'Callaghan, Esq., Maryfort, house and lands of Maryfort, Tulla Barony, freeholder—fifty pound, re-registry.
76 James O'Connors, farmer, Drimanure, house and lands at Drimanure, same, same—ten pound, re-registry.

. . . [through to #102] . . .

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 9 March 1840
COUNTY OF CLARE
An alphabetical List of Applicants to be Registered as Freeholders for the County of Clare, at the next General Quarter Sessions of the Peace, to be held at TULLA, in and for the Division of Tulla, on Tuesday, the 2nd day of January, 1849, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon:—

1—Edward Thomas Gloster, Esq., Lieutenant in Her Majesty's 38th Regt. of Foot, Sligo, Lands at Glenlon, Tulla Barony, freeholder, £50.
2—John Jones, farmer, Ayle, house and Land at Upper Ayle, Tulla Barony, freeholder, £10.
3—James O'Connors, farmer, Drimanure, house and land at Drimanure, Tulla Barony, freeholder, £10.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 18 December 1848
I next reviewed the Tulla baptism registers of "1819-1846" and "1846-1862" and noted a few families with a residence of both Garruragh (an established townland) and "Drimanure" (or its variant "Driminure"). Other families used both Garruragh and "Drimconn".

Finally, what I should have been done initially, I reviewed the Tithe Applotment index for Tulla Parish. Included in the "Notes" column for Garruragh townland were five different localities: Rath, Drimsheen, Drimanure, Ballyaskill, and Quillinagh. "James Connors" was one of eight lessors in Drimanure.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... la_tab.htm

In viewing the actual Tithe Applotment book for Garruragh townland at the Irish National Archives, "James Connor" (without the "s") was a lessor at Drimanure of 4 acres of "quality 2" land; and 2 acres and 10 perches of "quality 3" land; for a total of 6 acres and 10 perches, with a valuation of 4 shillings and 10½ pence. James Corry was listed below James Connor and held the exact same land holding and valuation:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00622.pdf

At the Clare Library website, I viewed the 1842 OS map for Garruragh townland. "Drimanure" was not listed on the map; a "Drumcoum" was located just east of Garruragh House.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... 15!5!!1175

On the Ask About Ireland website, the map of Garruragh townland has "Drumcoum" located in Plot 7. In the GV report, Plots 6, 7, and 8 were leased by Ellen Murphy, lessor Charles G. O'Callaghan, but these were two herd's houses, so not clear who was actually living there at the time of Griffith Valuation.

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith ... gh%3C/b%3E

The order of the localities in Garruragh townland at Tithe Applotment, appears to have started West of Garruragh House (located in the middle of the townland), and then worked their way around generally in a clockwise direction:

1) "Rath": Thomas Quinlivan was a lessor at Tithe Applotments. In the Tulla baptism register of 1846-1862, James Quinlivan and Mary Carroll, as well as James Quinlivan and Mary McNamara, gave their residence as both Garura and "Rath". Plot 17 was held by "James Quinlivan (Tom)" at Griffith Valuation and located west of Garruragh House (at "9 pm"). "Rath" was not listed on the 1842 OS map.
?) "Plot 4", north of Garruragh House (at "noon"), was held by Michael Conlan / Connellan at Griffith Valuation - see family tree on page 49. Not sure who held this property at Tithe Applotments, and what location it was given in the notes?
2) "Drimsheen": several Lynch lessors at Tithe Applotments. In the Tulla baptism register of 1846-1862, Matthew Lynch and Margaret White gave the residence of Garura and "Drum". "Drumcoum" was located just east of Garruragh House on the 1842 OS map (plot 7 at GV, at "3 pm"). At Griffith Valuation, just east of Plot 7, "Drumcoum", Plot 9a was held by Catherine Lynch (widow) and 9b by Matthew Lynch.
3) "Drimanure": Patt Halvey and Michael Halvey were lessors at the time of Tithe Applotments. In the Tulla baptism register of 1819-1846, a Patrick Halvey and Mary Canny had the residence of Garrura and Driminure. James Halvey at 1855 Griffith Valuation held Plot 23a which was located south of Garruragh House (at "6 pm").
4) "Ballyaskill": John Corry was a lessor at Tithe Applotments. In the Tulla baptism register of 1819-1846, John Corry and Mary Corry baptized five children and used Garrura four times as their residence and "Ballyastel" once. Their eldest son, Simon Corry, was born in 1821, and at 1855 Griffith Valuation was the "Simon Curry" of Plot 24a, which was located southeast of Garruragh House (at "5 pm", the order at Tithes was not quite perfectly clockwise around).
5) "Quillinagh": John Markham was a lessor at Tithe Applotments. John Markham was in Garruragh Plot 20a at Griffith Valuation, located west of Garruragh House (at "7 pm"). In the Tulla baptism register of 1819-1846, John Markham and Catherine Fennissy only used the location of Garruragh.

Sheila, I would have more confidence on my research into the location of Drimanure in Garruragh townland, if the number of plots lined up between the 1842 OS Map and the Griffith Valuation report (both on the AskAboutIreland website). Why does the 1842 OS Map have 27 Plots, and the Griffith Valuation report only have 24 Plots reported? Plot 1 on the GV report is 75 acres of Bog land; there is now way it is the tiny Plot 1 on the 1842 OS Map. Plot 26 at the far north of the townland is very large appears to be Bog, I reckon this was Plot 1 on the GV report. Still not sure why Plot 25 (populated with several houses) and Plot 27 on the 1842 OS Map don't appear in Griffith Valuation.

Sheila, in the Walker/O'Connor/McNamara family tree on page 50, James O'Connor and Bridget Walker baptized a daughter named Mary in 1853 with a transcribed residence of "Derryulk". In viewing the actual baptism entry on the NLI website, I see that the transcriptions for three baptisms at the bottom of the register page were shifted by one entry. So, Mary Connors in April 1853 was of "Tulla" and not "Derryulk"; Mary Kane was from "Derryulk", and not "Knockjames"; and "Michael Clune" was from "Knockjames", and not "no residence". The revised residences for the Kane and Clune baptisms are consistent with other baptisms for these families. For these three baptism entries, and the one before it, the priest noted "poor" in the entry. Had James O'Connor of Drimanure, who appeared quite prosperous in the 1840's, fallen so greatly in social status by 1853? Was this the reason for his move south from Garruragh to nearby Tulla town, and then further south all the way to Australia?

O'Connor is a common surname, but James O'Connor of Driminure, Garruragh townland, I am fairly certain, had been married in Tulla Parish at least once prior to his marriage to Bridget Walker, and quite possibly up to three times:

Patrick and Mary O'Connor of Tulla Parish:

Parents as reported in the Australian death certificate for James O'Connor in 1871.

1. James O'Connor (≈1786 - 1871)

James O'Connor, of Driminure, married Bridget Keleher, of Cragroe, in Tulla parish on 23 February 1819; witnesses Patrick O'Connor of Driminure, Patrick Keleher of Cragroe, and Mary O'Connor of Driminure (Tulla marriage register, 1819-1846). Patrick O'Connor was likely the father of James O'Connor, and perhaps Mary O'Connor his mother.

.................... 1.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
.................... 1.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)

At the Tithe Applotments for Tulla Parish, dated 11 February 1827, James Connors is a lessor at Garruragh townland, with the additional description of "Drimanure" - see details above.

In 1837, James Connors was a baptism sponsor to a child of Pat Kiliher and Norry Enright of "Drim (?)". Other baptisms for the children of Patrick Keleher state that he was from "Driminure".

A James O'Connor, of "Garura", married Bridget Pepper, of Glandree, on 12 February 1836 in Tulla parish; witnesses Thomas Kennedy of Miltown, and Thomas Liddy of Toam (Tulla marriage register, 1819-1846). They were the parents of three children reported in the Tulla baptism register of 1819-1846:

.................... 1.1 Patrick O'Connor (1837 - unknown), "Patt Connors", of Glendree, was baptized on 15 January 1837; father "James Connors", mother "Biddy Peppar"; sponsors Michael Welsh and Catherine McNamara. Named after his paternal grandfather?

.................... 1.2 Mary O'Connor (1838 - unknown), "Mary Connors", location unreadable, was baptized on 3 April 1838; father "James Connors", mother "Mary Pepper" (should be "Bridget"); sponsor Jane Mack.

.................... 1.3 James O'Connor (1840 - unknown), "James Connell", of Glendree, was baptized on 9 April 1840; father "James Connell", mother "Bridget Pepper"; sponsor Margaret Cunningham. The baptism entry is clearly "Connell", the priest may have made an error with the surname, or perhaps "Connell" is a variation of "Connor"?

A James Connors, no residence reported, marred a Margaret Jones, of Glandree, in November 1842 in Tulla Parish; witnesses Michael O'Donoghoe and Patrick Nailon (Tulla marriage register, 1819-1846). No children baptized in subsequent Tulla baptism register.

Unknown marriage between James O'Connor (≈1786 - 1871) and Bridget Walker (≈1816 - 1898). James Connor(s) and Bridget Walker were the parents of two children baptized in Tulla Parish:

.................... 1.4 Michael O'Connor (1850 - unknown), "Michael Connor", of Driminure, was baptized on 1 May 1850; father "James Connor", mother "Bridget Walker"; sponsor Mary Lynch (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

.................... 1.5 Mary O'Connor (1853 - unknown), "Mary Connors", of Tulla (transcribed as "Derrulk"), was baptized on 2 February 1853; father "James Connors", mother "Bridget Walker"; sponsors Thomas Howard and Margaret Walker (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862). Reported to be "poor".

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 6/mode/1up

By 1853, James Connors and Bridget Walker had moved from Garruragh to the Town of Tulla. James Connors was reported in the 1855 Griffith Valuation report as a lessor in the Town of Tulla, on Main Street, House #7, lessor James Whelan; house, yard, & garden; 3 roods and 15 perches; total valuation £3 and 10 pence.

His neighbor in House #9 on Main Street was a John McNamara, lessor Patrick Reidy; house, yard, & garden; 1 rood; valuation £1 and 5 shillings. This John McNamara of House #9 on Main Street was likely married to Kate Walker, and the brother-in-law of James Connors of House #7, who also went to Victoria, Australia (and not the John McNamara of House #8 on School House Lane as noted in my last posting, which I now need to edit).

When did James O'Connor (≈1786 - 1871) and his wife Bridget Walker (≈1816 - 1898) immigrate to Australia? Did their two children also go to Australia? Will their passenger listing, or other Australian records, confirm that James O'Connor had been married prior to Bridget Walker and had other children?

James Connors of Garruragh was likely the brother of Norry Connors of Garruragh, who married a Thomas McNamara, but no solid proof of their sibling relationship has yet been discovered:

2.0 Hanorah "Norry" Connors (1800? 1810? - unknown) and Thomas McNamara (1800? 1810? - unknown)

Thomas McNamara, no residence reported, married Honor Conners, of Garura, on 6 February 1828, at Tulla parish; witnesses Michael Hogan of Tulla, and Mary Fahy of Tulla.

Thomas McNamara and Norry Connors were the parents of six children baptized in the Tulla baptism registers between 1828 and 1848 (and likely additional children due to missing baptism pages in 1841 and 1843). From the residences reported in the baptism registers, the Thomas McNamara family moved from Drimanure (Garruragh townland) to Knockadoon in 1836, and then to Tyredagh by 1845.

A Thomas McNamara, of Tyredagh, married Margaret Whelan, of Tyredagh, on 4 February 1853 in Tulla parish; witnesses Martiin Boland of Tulla, and Judy Morony of Derrada (Tulla marriage register, 1846-1861). Had Thomas McNamara, originally from Garruragh, then Tyredagh, become a widower and then remarried? Or is this a different Thomas McNamara from Tyredagh?

In the 1855 Griffith Valuation for Tyredagh townland, there was a "Thomas (Shiedy) McNamara", who has been discussed previously on this thread since a "Sheedy McNamara". See further discussion on the identity of this Thomas Sheedy McNamara at the end of this posting.

An Honor McNamara died in 1864 at the age of 70 per Tulla registration district. An Honoria McNamara died in 1869 at the age of 71 per Tulla registration district. A Thomas McNamara died in 1869 at the age of 58 per Tulla registration district. On-line civil death records not yet available.

.................... 2.1 Mary McNamara (1828 - unknown), of Drimanure, was baptized on 14 December 1828; father Thomas McNamara and mother "Honora Conner"; sponsors Michael Doyle and Mary Sullivan (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Possibly. . . . the Mary McNamara of Garruagh who married Thady Lynch in 1852. But, I reckon, unlikely since this McNamara family had left Garruragh for Knockadoon in 1836 and for Tyredagh by 1845. More likely, this Mary McNamara was the daughter of John McNamara and Bridget Rogers of Garruragh — see next family tree.

.................... 2.2 Anne McNamara (1830 - unknown), "Anne Mac", of Driminure, was baptized on 26 April 1830; father "Thomas Mac" and mother "Nony Conners"; sponsor Peter Lillis (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 2.3 Michael McNamara (1836 - unknown), of Knockadoon, was baptized on 30 August 1836; father Thomas McNamara and mother "Nory Connors"; sponsor Michael Rochford (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 2.? missing baptism register (April 1841 through July 1841)

.................... 2.? missing baptism register (January 1843 to mid April 1843)

.................... 2.4 Ellen McNamara (1845 - unknown), "Ellen Mack", of Teereda, was baptized on 8 March 1845; father "Thomas Mack" and mother "Norry Connors"; sponsor Mary Mack (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

An Ellen McNamara died in Tulla in 1865 at the age of 20 years; online registration not yet available.

.................... 2.5 Kate McNamara (1847 - unknown)
, "Kate Mack", of "Tiredy", was baptized on 26 April 1830; father "Thomas Mack" and mother "Nory Connors" (transcribed as "Mary"); sponsor Kate McCan(?) (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 2.6 Kate McNamara (1848 - unknown)
, "Kate McNamara", no residence reported, was baptized on 3 May 1848; father "Thomas McNamara" and mother "Norry W Connors" (transcribed as "Norry Mc" with a "Connor" sponsor); sponsor name was scribbled (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Did the children of Thomas McNamara and Norry Connors go to Victoria, Australia?

1.0 John McNamara (≈1800? - prior to 1855?) and Bridget Rogers (≈1800? - prior to 1855?) of Garruragh Townland in Tulla Parish

Unknown marriage. In the baptisms of their six children, a Rogers/Rodgers was never a baptism sponsor. Quite likely that John McNamara and Bridget Rogers were married outside Tulla Parish, say, in Caher Feakle Parish or Feakle Parish where Rogers is a common surname and marriage records don't start until 1840 and 1860, respectively. Their last born child was in 1845. Entirely possible that they married in early to mid 1820's and their earliest children were born during the periods when Tulla parish has missing baptism pages.

Died or immigrated prior to 1855? There are no McNamara's living in Garruragh townland at the time of Griffith Valuation.

.................... 1.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)

.................... 1.1 Bridget McNamara (1828 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 17 January 1828; father John McNamara and mother "Bidy Rogers"; sponsors John Sullivan and Joan Kerwick (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.2 John McNamara (1830 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 10 April 1830; father John McNamara and mother "Bridget Rogers"; sponsors Pat Jones and Margaret Lynch (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

If the "John Martin" born in 1839 was actually "John McNamara", see theory below, then this John McNamara died prior to 1839. If not, then it would be possible that he was the John McNamara of "Drimcon", located in Garruragh townland, who married Hannagh Considine of Garruragh:

A John McNamara, of "Drimcon", married Hannagh Considine, of Garruragh, on 26 November 1853 at Tulla parish; witnesses Patrick Coulough of Tulla and Bridget Hehir of Tulla (Tulla marriage register, 1846-1861). Hannah Considine was the daughter of Thady Considine and Mary Kelly of Garruragh, baptized in November 1836, so she would have been 17 years old upon marriage.

.................... 1.3 Mary McNamara (1833 - 1904), of "Garura", was baptized on 24 January 1833; father John McNamara and mother "Bridget Rogers"; sponsors Pat Brody and Bridget Kerwick (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Possibly. . . . A Theady Lynch, of Tireda, married Mary McNamara, of Garruragh, on 21 February 1852 in Tulla Parish, witnesses James Halvey of Garruragh and Catherine Hehir of Ra(?).

In 1855 Griffith Valuation for Upper Tyredagh townland, Thaddeus Lynch held Plot 35; house, office & land; lessor Eliza Browne; 11 acres, valuation of £4 and 5 shillings.

Thady Lynch, farmer, of Tyredah, married, age 87 years, farmer, died on 27 July 1899; informant was Mary Lynch, his widow. Mary Lynch, widow of a farmer, of Tyredah, age 85 years, died on 20 February 1904; informant her daughter-in-law, Eliza Lynch. Mary McNamara's daughter-in-law likely guessed on her age, and the 1901 census with a reported age of 70 years was more accurate.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 636451.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 585247.pdf
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... r/1086926/

Thady Lynch (≈1812 - 1899) and Mary McNamara (1833 - 1904) were the parents of eight children between 1853 and 1868, all recorded in Tulla parish baptism registers.

................................... 1.3.1 Mary Lynch (1853 - unknown), of "Tyreda", was baptized on 3 January 1853; father "Theady Lynch" and mother Mary McNamara; sponsors William Mack and Mary Halvey (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

................................... 1.3.2 John Lynch (1855 - 1900), a twin, of "Tyreda", was baptized on 19 January 1855; father Thady Lynch and mother Mary McNamara; sponsor William McNamara (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

John Lynch, a farmer, of Tyreda, son of Timothy Lynch, married Eliza Moloney, of Knockjames, daughter of David Moloney, on 16 February 1885 at the Catholic chapel at Knockjames by the parish priest J. Hayes; witnesses Michael Quigley and Annie Quigley (Tulla civil record).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 198381.pdf

John Lynch (1855 - 1900) and Elizabeth Moloney (≈1862 - 1949) were the parents of at least 7 children:

........................................................ 1.3.2.1 Patrick Lynch (age 15 in 1901) <Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, House 15>
........................................................ 1.3.2.2 Timothy Lynch (age 12 in 1901) <Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, x> Timothy Lynch, age 16, arrived in New York on 27 August 1904 on SS Celtic, going to Aunt Mrs. John Rogan, 305 West 146th Street, New York; he was traveling with his 9-year old sister, Mary Lynch. In the 1905 census, Timothy Lynch was living with the Michael Lynch family in Paterson, New Jersey; relationship not reported, but his uncle.

........................................................ 1.3.2.3 Elizabeth Lynch (1890 - unknown), Eliza Lynch was born on 23 July 1890 (Scariff civil registration). No civil death record prior to 1901 census. Possibly, sent to American relatives at a young age (her younger sister, Mary, left for New York at age 9).

........................................................ 1.3.2.4 Michael Lynch (age 10 in 1901)
<Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, x> Unknown civil birth record.
........................................................ 1.3.2.5 James Lynch (age 8 in 1901) <Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, House 15> Born 22 November 1892.
........................................................ 1.3.2.6 Mary Lynch (age 6 in 1901) <Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, x> Mary Lynch, age 9, arrived in New York on 27 August 1904 on SS Celtic, going to Aunt Mrs. John Rogan, 305 West 146th Street, New York; she was traveling with her 16-year old brother, Timothy. In the 1910 census, Mary Lynch, age 15, was reported as a "niece", living with the Michael Lynch family in Paterson, New Jersey. She appears to have returned to Ireland, as in 1949, Mary E. Lynch, daughter, was the informant on the civil death record of her mother, Elizabeth Lynch of Tyredagh.

........................................................ 1.3.2.7 John Lynch (age 3 in 1901, died 1902) <Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, x>
........................................................ 1.3.2.8 Daniel Lynch (age 1 in 1901) <Tyredagh Upper, Newgrove, House 6, House 15> born 5 October 1899.

................................... 1.3.3 Michael Lynch (1855 - died prior to 1862), a twin, of "Tyreda", was baptized on 19 January 1855; father Thady Lynch and mother Mary McNamara; sponsor Catherine Lynch (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

................................... 1.3.4 Patrick Lynch (1857 - unknown), of "Tyreda", was baptized in November 1857; father Thadeus Lynch and mother Mary McNamara; sponsor Mary Powell (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

................................... 1.3.5 Bridget Lynch (1860 - unknown), of "Tyreda", was baptized in 30 January 1860; father Tady Lynch and mother Mary McNamara; sponsors Donald Lynch and Margaret McNamara (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

................................... 1.3.6 Michael Lynch (1862 - 1920 in Paterson, NJ), of "Tyreda", was baptized in 16 August 1862; father Thadeus Lynch and mother Mary McNamara; sponsor Jane McInerny of Tyreda (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881).

In the 1910 census, Mary Lynch, age 15, born in Ireland, arrival in USA in 1904, was living with her uncle Michael Lynch (age 47) and aunt Bridget (age 49) in Paterson, New Jersey, along with their seven children:

........................................................ 1.3.6.1 John Lynch (age 22 in 1910 census, Paterson, NJ)
........................................................ 1.3.6.2 Mary Lynch (age 20 in 1910 census)
........................................................ 1.3.6.3 Daniel Lynch (age 17 in 1910 census)
........................................................ 1.3.6.4 Anne Lynch (age 15 in 1910 census)
........................................................ 1.3.6.5 Joseph Lynch (age 12 in 1910 census)
........................................................ 1.3.6.6 Frances Lynch (age 10 in 1910 census)
........................................................ 1.3.6.7 Agnes Lynch (age 7 in 1910 census)

................................... 1.3.7 Daniel Lynch (1865 - unknown)
, of "Tyreda", was baptized in 24 May 1865; father Thadeus Lynch and mother Mary McNamara; sponsor Mary Halvey (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). Per civil record, James Lynch of Tyredagh was born on 24 May 1865; occupation of father Thady Lynch was "labourer" (Tulla registration).

................................... 1.3.8 James Lynch (1868 - unknown), of "Tyredagh", was baptized in 4 April 1868; father Thady Lynch and mother "Mary Mack"; sponsor Mary Halvey (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). Per civil record, James Lynch of Tyredagh was born on "5 May 1868" (reported to avoid late penalty); occupation of father Thady Lynch was "labourer" (Tulla registration).

.................... 1.4 Thady McNamara (1836 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 6 July 1836; father John McNamara and mother "Bid Rogers"; sponsors Edmond Casy and Mary Reidy (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.5 John McNamara (1839 - unknown), "John Martin", of "Garura", was baptized in April 1839; father "John Martin" and mother "Bid Rogers"; sponsors James Cusac and Cate Kennedy (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

I reckon the priest made a mistake with "John Martin" in the baptism register, both child and father, as there are no other records for a "John Martin" married to a "Bid Rogers". Plus, the residence of Garura. Note, the transcribed residence was left blank, and "Garura" was transcribed for the baptism entry above it (child Mary, also April 1839, parents Michael McMahon and Anne Cusack), but, I reckon, the residence "Garura" relates to the "John Martin" baptism (see page 89 right in below link). This theory partially eliminates the large gap between the 1836 and 1845 baptisms for John McNamara and Bridget Rogers of Garruragh.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 9/mode/1up

A Michael McMahon and Anne Cusack of Teereera also baptized a daughter Mary one month later in May 1839 (page 90, left) which was possibly a dual baptism. An "emergency" baptism for a sickly child by a lay person, then later a formal baptism by the priest one month later?

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 0/mode/1up

.................... 1.? missing baptism register (April 1841 through July 1841)

.................... 1.? missing baptism register (January 1843 to mid April 1843)

.................... 1.6 Daniel McNamara (1845 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized in June 1845; father John McNamara and mother "Bid Rogers"; sponsor Joan Sullivan (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Had the husband of Bridget Rogers, John McNamara, become a widower with many young children by 1853? Was he the John McNamara, of "Drimcon", who married Hannagh Considine, of Garruragh, on 26 November 1853 at Tulla parish? Unlikely, I reckon, since Hannah Considine was only 17 years old in 1853, and John McNamara of Garruragh would have been over 50 at least. But then, who was the mysterious "John McNamara of Drimcon"?

1.0 John McNamara and Nancy "Anne" Corry of Garruragh Townland of Tulla Parish

Unknown marriage. Known children were born between 1828 and 1838 in Tulla parish, but the period of the early 1820's has many missing baptism records. Possible that John McNamara and Nancy Corry were married prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla marriage register.

Their last born child in 1838, Catherine, had the residence of "Culina", which as discussed further below, was the priest's attempt at Quillinagh, located in Garruragh townland. At the time of the Tithe applotment books for Tulla parish, dated 11 February 1827, a "John Corry" was a lessor at Quillinagh in Garruragh townland. Nancy Corry, with near certainty, was the daughter of this John Corry and his wife, Mary Corry, of Garruragh, who baptized a daughter, Mary, in 1819, but likely had other children born prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla baptism register. The "Michael Corry" in 1901, and "Michael Curry" in the 1911 census living in Garruragh townland was the son of John Corry and Honora Finnessy, and grandson of John Corry and Mary Corry.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1087886/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... gh/371940/

This John McNamara family is not living in Garruragh townland at the time of the 1855 Griffith Valuation.

.................... 1.? John McNamara ? baptized in a period of missing baptism registers? Very likely John McNamara and Nancy Corry (daughter of John Corry) would have had a son named John.

A John McNamara, of "Drimcon", married Hannagh Considine, of Garruragh, on 26 November 1853 at Tulla parish; witnesses Patrick Coulough of Tulla and Bridget Hehir of Tulla (Tulla marriage register, 1846-1861). Hannah Considine was the daughter of Thady Considine and Mary Kelly of Garruragh, baptized in November 1836, so would have been 17 years old upon marriage.

.................... 1.1 Mary McNamara (1828 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 7 April 1828; father John McNamara and mother "Nancy Corry"; sponsors Michael Mac and Peggy Hartny (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846). Named after her maternal grandmother, Mary Corry?

Possibly, the Mary McNamara of Garruragh who married Thady Lynch of Garruragh in 1852? See prior family trees.

.................... 1.2 Michael McNamara (1830 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 8 January 1830; father John McNamara and mother "Anne Corry"; sponsors John Shaughnessy and Mary Molony (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.3 Cornelius "Conn" McNamara (1832 - unknown), "Conn Mack", of "Garura", was baptized on 26 July 1832; father "John Mack" and mother "Nancy Corry"; sponsors Michael O'Dea and Biddy Kenedy (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.4 Bridget McNamara (1834 - unknown), of "Garrura", was baptized on 3 December 1834; father John "Jn" McNamara" and mother "Nancy Corry"; sponsor Bridget Corry (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.5 Catherine McNamara (1838 - unknown), of "Culina", was baptized on 24 February 1838; father John "Jn" McNamara and mother "Nance Coree"; sponsor Biddy Coree (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Where is "Culina"? In viewing the Tithe applotment book of 1827 for Tulla Parish, I reckon "Culina" was the priest's attempt at spelling "Quillinagh" - see research on its location earlier in this posting. Therefore, at least through 1838, the John McNamara and Nancy Corry family appear to have remained in Garruragh townland. Where this McNamara family ended up after 1838 is a total mystery.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... la_tab.htm

Thomas McNamara Sheidy of Upper Tryedagh, Tulla Parish, Griffith Valuation Plot 24, Lessor Eliza Browne; house and land; 3 acres and 32 perches, valuation £1 and 10 pence.

The identity of Thomas Sheedy McNamara of Tyredagh has been speculated upon previously on this thread. Researching the McNamara's of Garruragh has led to another Thomas McNamara who moved to Tyredagh. I reckon there are three possibilities, none of the three have any other record stating that they were a "Sheedy McNamara":

A) The Thomas McNamara, of Derryole (Tyredagh) who married Anne Donnellan on 27 February 1821 in Tulla Parish? Known parents of John (1828, in "Teerida"), Patt (1833 in "Teereda"), Thomas (1840 in "Tireedy"), and Francis (1843, no location). Thomas McNamara, born 1840, married Judy Neil, and moved to New York, as discussed on this thread a long time ago.

B) The Thomas McNamara who married Honor Conners, of Garura, on 6 February 1828, at Tulla parish? Their first few children were born in Garruragh, but by 1845, this family had moved to Tyredagh townland (see family tree above).

C) The Thomas McNamara, of Tyredagh, who married Margaret Whelan, of Tyredagh, on 4 February 1853 in Tulla parish?

Researching James O'Connor of Garruragh has led to a Thomas McNamara who married Norry Connors of Garruragh, as well as John McNamara & Bridget Rogers, and John McNamara & Nancy Corry, all of Garruragh townland. Interestingly, there were no lessors of the McNamara surname remaining in Garruragh townland by the time of Griffith Valuation. Where have all the McNamara's gone?

A mysterious "John McNamara of Drimcon" married Hannagh Considine, of Garruragh, on 26 November 1853 at Tulla parish; but they had no children baptized in the parish, and both his identity and later whereabouts are unknown.

Only a Mary McNamara of Garruragh, who married Thady Lynch, of Tyredagh, and were the parents of eight children, remained in Tulla Parish, albeit in Tyredagh and not Garruragh. Whether she was the daughter of John McNamara and Bridget Rogers, as per above family tree, was only a best guess. One son of Thady Lynch and Mary McNamara went to Paterson, New Jersey, as did several of their Lynch grandchildren a generation later. If one of the siblings of Mary McNamara, their later whereabouts all unknown, also went to Paterson, then a family link in American records might prove that Mary McNamara Lynch was indeed the daughter of John McNamara and Bridget Rogers of Garruragh.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:10 am

Hi Jimbo

It will take me a while to look properly at all of the work you have done on Garruragh townland, but first impression is of a townland very thickly populated in pre-famine times. I think the work you have done could be the basis of an in-depth study of a townland.
Thank you for pointing out the error I made in transcribing the residences at the bottom of page 46 (online), February 1853. I’m not sure how feasible it will be to submit a new set of transcriptions to Donations. It may be that researchers will be trusted to refer to the original manuscript, as you have done. Every single time I look at those transcriptions, I see mistakes!

About the mis-match between the numbering of lots in Griffith’s Valuation and the accompanying map, I have encountered it quite a few times. Here is what John Grenham says about it (in the Irish Times, Mon Nov 30 2015): https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heri ... -1.2440692.

I wonder if “Poor” in the baptism registers was code for no fee/offering expected, or received, by the priest. The priest might need to explain to the bishop why his takings did not correspond to the numbers baptised.

The disappearance of the McNamaras from Garruragh must be due to emigration, I suppose (and I hope), but sometimes families were moved to other townlands. Recently I have been reading the pieces written by the children at Ballinalacken School (Killilagh parish) in 1938*, and a few have explained that the O’Briens of Ballinalacken, in the course of landscaping, moved some four or five families away from the vicinity of their house and settled them in other parts of the estate. I know that this happened quite a bit in the 18th century, when most landscaping was carried out, but did not realise that it also happened in the 19th century. I wonder if anything has been written on this subject and if there are any other examples in Co. Clare.
*The Schools’ Collection, duchas.ie, Ballinalackin: https://heritage.clareheritage.org/plac ... nal-school

And now to read your post again, Jimbo.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:13 am

Hi Jimbo,

Just a minor thing: the first Kate born to Thomas McNamara and Hanorah “Norry” Connors was baptised 23 Mar 1847 (not Apr. 1830).

Looking at the figures for the 1841 and 1851 census, I notice that the number of inhabited houses in the Tulla Electoral District (in which Garruragh lay) goes from 488 down to 405 and the unihabited houses goes from 22 up to 32. That’s a total loss of 93 houses. Some of those households are probably in the workhouse and some must have emigrated: https://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents ... ges/336247.
I’ve noticed that the civil records for several McNamara deaths in the Workhouse (after 1871) have no home address. I'm sure it is the same for the 1864-1871 period. That is lost information. I suppose addresses were not recorded at the time that these people were given shelter.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:55 am

Hi Jimbo,
Instead of looking at Tulla Electoral District, I should have gone back a few pages and looked at Garruragh townland on page 41. The number of houses in Garruragh in 1841 was 67. In 1851 it was down to 55. But neither Tithes nor Griffith’s accounts for that number of houses.

About the places within Garruragh: The 1842 map shows Ballygastell Fort in the South East of the townland: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ruragh.htm

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:15 am

Well, it is not so difficult, after all, to see how there might have been 67 houses in Garruragh in 1841. Tithes (1827) lists 46 occupiers of arable land in Garruragh. I suppose most of these also had a house. And there may have been some more houses occupied by people who held no land. And then, I suppose, there were some more houses built between 1827 and 1841.
The figure of 55 houses in 1851, all of them inhabited, is more surprising. Griffith’s Valuation, which was published only four years later, shows only 24 tenants in Garruragh. Are we to understand that there were another 31 heads of households, who were not classified as tenants? Were they all classified as cottiers, who lived as labourers, or servants, on the lands of those 24 tenants? Or is it that the 24 tenants were head-tenants, who shared their land with brothers and sons and sons-in-law and other relatives? Did the houses of these relatives somehow escape the count? Or is it that emigration became a torrent between 1851 and 1855? The 1841 census is often described as unreliable, but the 1851 census is considered quite reliable. The figures, however, give rise to a lot of questions.

Jimbo, looking at the 1842 map of Garruragh and comparing it to the later Ordnance Map (1888-1913), I think can see one reason for the mis-match of lots, and why there are extra lots on the map issued in the 1870s. At the time that the 1842 map was in the making, the workhouse was not yet completed and the road passing by it was still in the planning stage – hence the dotted lines. The completed Workhouse was built a little to the west of Garruragh Lough and a new 5 acre lot created to surround it. I think Garruragh House itself was used as the Auxiliary Workhouse and that a new lot was created there as well. These new lots were No. 13 (Auxiliary Workhouse) and No. 14 (Workhouse). When they were inserted into the list of lots they pushed the number from 24 to 26. Does that sound plausible?

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:54 am

No, it's not plausible. I've looked again and there is no mis-match between lots 13 and 14 and the corresponding outlines on the map. And, anyway, there are 27 lots in the map - not 26.

I was interested to see, in the 1888-1913 map, that the Workhouse burial ground is in the townland of Drummaghmartin (adjacent to Garruragh). Griffith's Valuation shows only one tenant in Drummaghmartin: Anne Molony leasing from Dorothea Tottenham. Burial grounds are usually listed as exempt from rates, but not in this case.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:23 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for that feedback and especially to the link to the article "Floundering with Valuation Maps" by John Grenham where he stated, "One feature, though, has caused grief to users over the years, the mismatch between the printed records [Griffith Valuation] and the maps that accompany them". I always found the time period of the maps confusing and glad that I'm not the only one. This article was written eight years ago in 2015 and still no word on timing "when the full handwritten revision books eventually become available online, it will be possible to date the maps by comparing them with the written records".

I'll go back and edit my last posting to replace a few mentions of "1842 OS map" with "GV accompanying map", which according to Grenham dated from the 1870s or 1880s. Will also reflect your discovery of "Ballygastell Fort" on the 1842 OS map and other corrections. Also need to update the family tree for the children of Thady Lynch and Mary McNamara of Tyredagh based upon new research.

Regarding your last two postings, yes, Plots 13 and 14 are the two plots in Garruragh townland that we can be certain are the same between the Griffith Valuation report and its accompanying map. I took a closer look at the map. Plot 22D at 31 acres per GV report doesn't appear on its accompanying map (only 22A, 22B, and 22C), so I highly suspect it became either Plot 25 or Plot 27. Plot 24 at 55 acres per GV report appears much smaller on the GV map, and was likely split creating either Plot 25 or Plot 27. As mentioned previously, Plot 1 at 75 acres of bog per GV report, appears quite small in the accompanying GV map, and must have been partially reclaimed with the remaining bog as a much smaller Plot 1, and the creation of Plot 26. That would account for all three of the additional plots (25, 26, 27) on the GV map, but not the GV report. Also, I'm no longer so certain that "Drumcoum", located east of the workhouse on all maps, would be the same as the "Drimsheen" locality in the 1827 Tithe Applotment book.

Sheila, your analysis of the number of houses from the 1841 and 1851 census for Garruragh townland through to 1855, was very interesting. Thanks for providing the link to the 1851 census, with its data by townland and with an 1841 census as comparison, as I was not familiar with this source. One thing to consider is that the Garruragh townland population in 1851 does not include the Garruragh workhouse, which I was slow to pick up on. The "Tulla Union" workhouse (Garruragh) numbers are at the end of the Tulla Union subtotals (on page 42 of your link). 12 men (all employees, presumably) and 584 women were reported in the Tulla Union workhouse, so in 1851 the workhouse in Garruragh appears to be for women only. The Tulla men, and possibly some women, were sent to either Scariff or Ennis workhouse in 1851 as the below article provides further evidence of since these "paupers" were "chargeable to Tulla":
NUMBER OF PAUPERS.
The number of paupers chargeable to the [Tulla] Union last week were as follows:
Receiving outdoor relief: 4,347
In Garruragh Temporary Workhouse: 327
In Scariff Workhouse chargeable to Tulla: 577
In Ennis Workhouse chargeable to Tulla: 400
Total 5,651

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 9 May 1850

Garruragh Townland (excludes workhouse):
1841 census: 402 people; 67 houses; average 6.0 per household.
1851 census: 305 people; 54 houses; average 5.6 per household. A 24% decrease from 1841.
1855 GV: 19 households *, estimated 114 people (x 6 per household). A 63% decrease from 1851.
1901 census: 91 people; 18 houses; average 5.1 per household (non-workhouse related). A 20% decrease from 1855

* In 1855 Griffith Valuation, while there were indeed 24 tenants, there were only 18 household tenants (excluding the workhouse and land only tenants, and including the herd's house). One tenant leased houses, plural, so let's say 19 households in 1855.

Sheila, the decrease from 1851 to 1855 does seem very large. However, I don't believe my 1855 estimated population for Garruragh has excluded very many families, if any, who were subleasing, and that the decrease reflects immigration. Just south of Garruragh is Cloghan townland, which had a similar decrease:

Cloghan Townland:
1841 census: 49 people; 9 houses; average 5.4 per household.
1851 census: 46 people; 7 houses; average 6.6 per household. A 6% decrease from 1841.
1855 GV: 3 houses (1 herd, 2 non-herd), estimated 18 people. A 61% decrease from 1851.
1901 census: 3 people; 1 house; average 3 per household. An 83% decrease from 1855.

Glendree townland, where the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara was from, was more similar in population size as Garruragh townland. Interestingly, using the same methodology, Glendree townland saw the largest percentage decrease between 1841 and 1851, and a much smaller decrease between 1851 and 1855:

Glendree Townland:
1841 census: 788 people; 142 houses; average 5.5 per household.
1851 census: 431 people; 87 houses; average 5.0 per household. A 45% decrease from 1841.
1855 GV: 62 houses **, estimated 372 people (x6 per household). A 14% decrease from 1851.
1901 census: 274 people; 52 houses; average 5.3 per household. A 26% decrease from 1855.
1911 census: 239 people; 50 houses; average 4.8 per household. A 13% decrease from 1901.

** If GV plots had plural "houses", counted as 2. Plots 1-13 (+9), Plots 14-30 (+16), Plots 31-51 (+24), Plots 52-64 (+13) = 62 houses.

Sheila, it would appear that population declines by decade varied considerably by townland.

While searching the British Newspaper Archives for information on when Garruragh workhouse started its operation, I stumbled upon yet . . .
Another Murder.
In addition to the above [the murder of Arthur O'Donnell, Esq., of Pickwick Cottage, Knock], it is our painful duty to announce the murder of the herdsman of Mr. William Scanlan, of Fortane, last night, in Maryfort Wood. It appears that the deceased went to look after some sheep, the property of his master, when he was attacked by some persons who had been lurking about the wood, and his throat was cut. One man who had been seen a short time previously in the wood, had been arrested on suspicion.

We received the above melancholy particulars, just was we were going to press.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 11 April 1850
Three months later . . .
Clare Assizes.
OPENING OF THE COMMISSION.

At six o'clock on Monday evening the Right Hon. the Lord Chief Justice took his seat in the Crown Court. The commission having been read by the Clerk of the Crown, and the Grand Jury re-sworn for the discharge of Crown business, his Lordship address them as follows:—

Captain Francis MacNamara, and Gentleman of the Grand Jury of the County of Clare, although I cannot congratulate you upon the state of the calendar, because it contains some crimes of a most atrocious character, it is some consolation to think, when compared to former years, that neither as regards numbers or magnitude does it present anything like the state of crime which you unfortunately witnessed in those years. . . .

MURDER.
James Hurley, a wretched looking elderly man, was indicted for the murder of John Sheehan, at Maryfort Wood, on 10th April last.

William Scanlan, examined—Lives at Fortanemore; there was a man named Sheehan employed by witness as herd; recollects being in company with him on the 10th of April at Cragroe; went from that to his other farm in Cragankeel [Craggaunkeel townland], in company with Dr. Burton and Sheehan; witness got a knife from Sheehan to cut tobacco; returned it to him afterwards; would know it again if he saw it; the farms are bordering the wood of Maryfort; knew James Hurley previous; saw him on that day; he was going directly towards Maryfort Wood at the time; witness had known him for a long time before (here he identified prisoner); Hurley had no permanent lodging in that neighbourhood; witness afterwards ascended a rising ground and saw a man in the wood; it was about 15 minutes after witness had seen the prisoner; the general appearance of the man resembled that of the prisoner at the bar; it was about a quarter of a mile from the place witness first saw a prisoner to the place where he observed the man in the wood; witness saw the man stoop as if he were cutting; witness was 172 yards from him at that time; it was brushwood; no other person appeared to be in the wood at the time; had there been any other person witness count not fail to have seen him; witness had directed Sheehan to go after the prisoner to watch him, which he did; witness afterwards met a man named O'Halloran, with whom he stopped for some time; while there he heard a noise like moaning coming from the direction where Sheehan had gone; witness and Dr. Bunton then returned to witness's house.—[Witness was about to state the reason why he did not go in the direction he heard the noise, but prisoner's counsel objected.]—Heard about an hour and a half afterwards that Sheehan was murdered; witness and Dr. Bunton then went to the place, where they saw the body of Sheehan lying lifeless about sixty or seventy yards from where he had left witness; the body was about a hundred yards from where witness had seen the man in the brushwood; witness immediately sent for the police; saw Hurley about an hour afterwards under arrest; he was brought within a short distance of where the man lay dead; there was a knife produced by Constable Moran which he had found on the prisoner; witness could not identify the knife as Sheehan's.

In the cross examination of this witness my Mr. Heron, he stated that he understood a nephew of the prisoner was married to one of the deceased man's daughters—thus establishing a relationship between them, but nothing material was elicited by the cross-examination.

Dr. Bunton was next examined, and corroborated the evidence of the former witness—though neither could he swear positively that the prisoner who had passed them going on the direction of the wood was the same person whom they afterwards saw in the wood; but his general appearance resembled him; witness afterwards saw the body of deceased, and examined it; death was occasioned by the throat having been cut.

Matthew Halloran identified both the knife and pipe which were found with prisoner as having belonged to Sheehan; witness had seen Hurley two days before the murder come out of the wood; witness's attention had been directed to the wood that morning in consequence of his having found half of a sheepskin on the field about 10 o'clock; witness then went into the wood to look if he could find the carcass; and was thus searching for half an hour when he saw Hurley going out of the wood; witness called to know what he was doing there, and he replied that "he was looking for his bit;" witness then told him that was no place for him, and ordered him to go away. This witness further deposed that on the day of the murder he had heard a noise in the wood as of persons quarrelling; and that when the dead body was afterwards discovered there were some marks of a struggle having taken place.

Margaret Doyle examined—Knew Sheehan the deceased; saw him lying dead in the wood, when she went and gave the alarm.

Mary Macnamara examined—Recollects the time that Sheehan was murdered; remembers Hurley coming to her mother's house the day before and getting lodgings there; he left the house at 11 o'clock next day; when he was going away he said he was going to Maryfort for "the making of broth for them"; he took a bag with him and his knife—[a large knife was here produced and identified by witness as that which prisoner had with him]—he brought back half a sheep's head and part of a sheepskin, and some trotters and bones; when he returned in the evening his hands and feet were clean as if newly washed; he washed his hands when he came into the house; he had some meat put down to boil and then asked witness to shut the door, but she refused; he then shut it himself; witness on going out to the wood afterwards saw Moran the policeman coming and called out that there was Mr. Moran the policeman; Hurley was going out of the door when Moran arrested him; witness pointed out to Moran the knife and the bag with its contents; witness identified the dress now worn by the prisoner as the same which he then wore; but there were some patches of a different colour put on it since.

Constable Moran deposed to having arrested the prisoner in Widow Macnamara's house—and produced the pocket knife and pipe which he found in his hat on searching him.

Daniel Macnamara, a lad about ten years of age, was next examined, and corroborated the evidence of his sister—and deposed to having seen blood on Hurley's hands when he was washing them in the house, and also that when his sister said here is Mr. Moran the policeman, the prisoner said—"give me my stick, and let me out."

Constable Moran was here recalled—and in reply to his lordship stated that the sheep appeared to have been freshly killed, and was bloody.

John [Patrick] Sheehan, son to the deceased, was next examined—Saw his father about two o'clock on the day he was killed; saw the prisoner Hurley that day also coming from the direction in which witness's father was killed going toward Garruragh; he had a bag with him at the time; that was about 5 o'clock in the evening, and witness heard about half an hour afterwards that his father had been murdered; witness then went in search of Hurley, when he met him in custody of the police; witness identified the knife and pipe as belonging to his father; saw him cut tobacco and smoke on that morning.

Head-constable Griffin was next examined relative to the correctness of the map which had been made of the place where the murder was committed. This map was then given in evidence, and the case for the crown closed.

Mr. Herne addressed the jury on behalf of the prisoner, and contended that if any case had been made against the prisoner, it could only be one of manslaughter and not of murder; because to sustain a charge of murder there must be malice prepense or a forethought, of which no evidence had been produced in the present case. The learned counsel concluded by recommending his client's case to the merciful consideration of the jury.

His lordship having summed up the evidence and explained the legal distinction between murder and manslaughter, the jury retired and after some time returned a verdict of manslaughter against the prisoner.

His lordship then sentenced the prisoner, who betrayed great restlessness during the trial, to be transported for life.

After arraigning a number of prisoner on various indictments, the Court adjourned at 6 o'clock until 9 next morning.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 4 July 1850
Names and sentences of the convicts sent to Spike Island from Ennis goal :—James Hurley, transportation for life; John Minogue, Michael McNamara, Patt McInerney, Patt McMahon, John Burke, Martin Hallinan, Thomas Nihill, John Barrett, Richard Pilkington, Martin Ryan, Michael Lawler, 10 years each; Patt Hallinan, James Normoyle, Patt Lillis, Michael Darcy, James Hinchy, John Pinder, Thomas Hassett, William Ryan, 7 years each.

Limerick Chronicle, Wednesday, 13 November 1850
I could find no Irish prison records for James Hurley. The Find My Past website is available for free over this holiday weekend, but no luck finding a Spike Island prison record. I don't believe the Ennis gaol records are available on any genealogy website or even if they exist.

Maryfort Wood, I suspect, was located in Maryfort townland, mostly east and partially north of Garruagh townland. North of both Garruragh and Maryfort was Cragroe townland, which looking at the map accompanying GV, also appears to have a wooded area. The murdered herdsman, John Sheehan, appears to have lived in Maryfort, his married son in Cragroe townland. East of Cragroe and north of Maryfort was Craggaunkeel townland where William Scanlan testified that he had his "other farm" (at Griffith Valuation this was Plot 4, land only, 64 acres, valuation of £22).

The witness, Matthew Halloran, must be the son of Lot Halloran and Catherine McMahon, born in 1833, in Cragroe. Other children baptized in 1828 and 1836 had the residence of Garruragh.

The witness, Margaret Doyle, must be the daughter of Michael Doyle and Mary Coonaghty born in Driminure (Garruragh townland) in 1819. Michael Doyle appears to have later remarried Mary Enright and their residence in the baptism records of their children were Garruragh and Driminure. A Michael Doyle was a lessor in the 1827 Tithe Applotment book for Drimanure in Garruragh townland.

The two McNamara witnesses, siblings, led to a McNamara family of Garruragh townland that I had missed in the research done for my last posting. Daniel McNamara, a "lad about ten", who testified in 1850, must be the Daniel born in 1837 to parents Daniel McNamara and Mary Digaden of Garruragh. His elder sister was Mary McNamara, born in 1830 in Garruragh, who testified that the defendant, James Hurley, had taken lodgings at her mother's house ("the widow Macnamara") the day before John Sheehan was murdered. The testimony doesn't state specifically that this McNamara family was from Garruragh, other than the son of the murdered man testifying that he saw the prisoner Hurley "going towards Garruragh". Plus, the description of Hurley's movements with Garruragh's location near Maryfort Wood, the McNamaras who testified at the trial were surely from Garruragh, and most likely from "Drumcoum", west of Garruragh workhouse and closest to Maryfort.

1.0 Daniel McNamara and Mary Digaden of Garruragh Townland of Tulla Parish

Daniel McNamara, of Killaloe Parish, married Mary Digadon, of Liscullane, on 25 February 1821 at Tulla Parish; witnesses Edmond Digadon of Liscullane, Matthew Moloney of Liscullane, and Catherine Hanrahan of Liscullane (Tulla marriage register, 1819-1846)

Daniel McNamara (≈1800? - prior to 1850) and Mary Digaden (≈1800? - after 1850) were the parents of four children baptized in the Tulla baptism register. Sometime in the 1820's, they moved from Liscullane to Garruragh townland.

.................... 1.1 Bridget McNamara (1821 - unknown), of Liscullane, was baptized on 28 November 1821; father Daniel McNamara and mother "Bridget Digaden"; sponsors Michael Roughan and Mary McGrath (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.? John McNamara ? baptized in a period of missing baptism registers?

A John McNamara, of "Drimcon", married Hannagh Considine, of Garruragh, on 26 November 1853 at Tulla parish; witnesses Patrick Coulough of Tulla and Bridget Hehir of Tulla (Tulla marriage register, 1846-1861). Hannah Considine was the daughter of Thady Considine and Mary Kelly of Garruragh, baptized in November 1836, so would have been 17 years old upon marriage.

.................... 1.2 Mary McNamara (1830 - unknown), "Mary Mac", of "Garura", was baptized on 23 March 1830; father "Daniel Mac" and mother "Bridget Digaden"; sponsor Moll Carodmody (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Mary McNamara was a witness in July 1850 at the trial of James Hurley for the murder of the herdsman, John Sheehan.

Possibly, the Mary McNamara of Garruragh who married Thady Lynch of Garruragh in 1852? See family trees in prior posting for other options.

.................... 1.3 Catherine McNamara (1833 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 10 April 1833; father Daniel McNamara and mother "Bridget Digiden"; sponsor Michael O'Dea (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.4 Daniel McNamara (1837 - unknown), of "Garura", was baptized on 27 February 1837; father Daniel McNamara and mother "Bridget Digaden"; sponsor Margaret Ryan (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

Daniel McNamara, "a lad about ten years of age", was a witness in July 1850 at the trial of James Hurley for the murder of the herdsman, John Sheehan. Identified as the brother of the other witness, Mary McNamara, in the testimony. Later whereabouts unknown.

.................... 1.? missing baptism register (April 1841 through July 1841)

.................... 1.? missing baptism register (January 1843 to mid April 1843)

The family tree of the murdered herdsman, John Sheehan:

1.0 John Sheehan (≈1790 ≈1800? - 1850) and Joan "Susanna" Culloe (≈1790 ≈1800? - after 1850) of Lismeehan "Maryfort" Townland of Tulla Parish

With a child baptized in August 1819, their marriage would have been prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla marriage register. John Sheehan, a herdsman for William Scanlan, was murdered on 10 April 1850. His widow, Joan Culloe Sheehan, was not identified at the subsequent trial in July 1850, however, Joan Sheehan appears to have been the baptism sponsor for her grandchild baptized on 17 May 1850. She appears to have died prior to the 1864 start of civil death records.

John Sheehan and Joan Culloe were the parents of two children baptized in the Tulla baptism register in 1819 and 1821. Other children may have been born later as Tulla Parish has many missing years in the 1820's.

.................... 1.1 Michael Sheehan (1819 - unknown), of Lismeehan, was baptized on 22 August 1819; father John Sheehan and mother "Joan Culloe"; sponsors John Keating and Cath Dougherty (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.2 Patrick Sheehan (1821 - died prior to 1911), of LIsmeehan, was baptized on 10 September 1821; father John Sheehan and mother "Susanna Culloe"; sponsors John Kennedy and Honour Dugan (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846). <Cragroe, Tulla, House 2; x>

Patt Sheehan, no residence reported, married Bridget Morony, of Tulla, in February 1846 in Tulla Parish; witnesses Patt McInerney and John Sheehan (Tulla marriage register, 1819-1846). The witness, John Sheehan, was likely the father of the groom. OPEN: check civil marriage record when system up and running.

At the July 1850 trial of James Hurley for the murder of John Sheehan, the Clare Journal identified the son of the murdered man, who testified as a witness, as "John Sheehan", while other newspapers reported him as "Patrick Sheehan". He was likely a "John Patrick" or "Patrick John" to distinguish between father and son. At the baptism of Patrick's first child, he was reported as "John", while in all subsequent baptisms as "Patrick".

The murdered John Sheehan was a herdsman for William Scanlan, a wealthy gentleman. His son, Patrick Sheehan, was also identified as a "herdsman" in Cragroe townland in the 1901 census. At 1855 Griffith Valuation, the married Patrick Sheehan was, most surely I reckon, living at Cragroe townland, Plot 7, lessee William Scanlan, lessor Daniel Finch and William Scanlon; Herd's house, offices, and land; 91 acres, valuation of land at £70, valuation of house at £1.

Bridget Morony Sheehan likely died prior to the 1864 start of civil death records. A Patrick Sheehan, widower, laborer, age 90 years old, died on 10 March 1908, at the Tulla workhouse, informant Michael Molony of the workhouse (Tulla registration).

Patrick Sheehan (1821 - 1908) and Bridget Morony (? - prior to 1901) <Cragroe, Tulla, House 2; x> were the parents of four children in Tulla Parish:

................................... 1.2.1 John Sheehan (1847 - after 1911), of Cragroe, was baptized on 22 March 1847; father "John Sheehan" and mother Bridget Morony; sponsors Bid Toohy and Pat O'Dea (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

John Sheehan, of Cragroe, married Anastasia Fitzpatrick, of Maryfort, on 21 February 1871, at Tulla Parish; witnesses William Quigley and Mary Quigley (Tulla marriage register, 1862-1881). The civil marriage record stated that John Sheehan was the son of farmer Patrick Sheehan; and Anastasia Fitzpatrick, a servant at Maryfort, was the daughter of farmer Stephen Fitzpatrick, deceased; and was performed by Denis Sheehan, curate at Tulla chapel.

John Sheehan (1847 - after 1911) and Anastasia "Anne" Fitzpartrick (≈1850? - after 1911) were the parents of seven children born in Tulla parish between 1871 and 1882. At some point between 1882 and 1901, the John Sheehan family moved to Cross Road, City of Limerick. As a hersdman, I reckon, John Sheehan wisely left Maryfort / Cragroe during the agrarian violence of the early 1880's which was often targeted at the herdsman of an unpopular landlord. <Cross Road, Limerick Urban No. 2, House 24; House 35>

............................................. 1.2.1.1 John Sheehan (1871 - after 1901), of Maryfort, was baptized on 22 May 1871; father John Sheehan and mother Anastasia Fitzpatrick; sponsors Margaret Molony and James Murphy (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). <Cross Road, Limerick Urban No. 2, House 24; unknown>

............................................. 1.2.1.2 Patrick Sheehan (1872 - unknown), of Maryfort, was baptized on 9 October 1872; father John Sheehan and mother Annastasia Fitzpatrick; sponsors John Molony and Bridget Sheehan (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). The sponsor, Bridget Sheehan, was likely the grandmother of Patrick.

............................................. 1.2.1.3 Stephen Sheehan (1874 - unknown), of Clondoorna, was baptized on 22 August 1874; father John Sheehan and mother "Anne Fitzpatrick"; sponsors Lizzie McGrath and Thomas Mealy (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881).

............................................. 1.2.1.4 Bridget Sheehan (1876 - after 1901), of Maryfort, was baptized on 5 July 1876; father John Sheehan and mother Anastasia Fitzpatrick; sponsors Thomas Sheehan and Margaret Nestor (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). <Cross Road, Limerick Urban No. 2, House 24; unknown> The sponsor, Thomas Sheehan, was the uncle of Bridget.

............................................. 1.2.1.5 Sarah Sheehan (1878 - after 1901), of Cragroe, was baptized on 3 July 1878; father John Sheehan and mother Anne Fitzpatrick; sponsors Michael Connellan and Maria Connellan (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). <Cross Road, Limerick Urban No. 2, House 24; unknown>

............................................. 1.2.1.6 William Sheehan (1880 - unknown), of Cragroe, was baptized on 7 August 1880; father John Sheehan and mother Anastasia Fitzpatrick; sponsors Stephen Fitzpatrick and Bridget Sheehan (Tulla baptism register, 1862-1881). The sponsor, Bridget Sheehan, was likely the aunt of William.

............................................. 1.2.1.7 Anastasia Sheehan (1882 - after 1911) <Cross Road, Limerick Urban No. 2, House 24; House 35> In the 1911 census, Mrs. Anastasia Evans, "age 22", born in County Clare, was living with her husband and infant child, as well as John and Anne Sheehan (her parents, although not identified as such).

................................... 1.2.2 Thomas Sheehan (1850 - 1924), of Maryfort, was baptized on 17 May 1850; father Patt Sheehan and mother Bridget Morony; sponsor Joan Sheehan (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862). The sponsor, Joan Sheehan, was likely the grandmother of Thomas. <Cragroe, Tulla, House 2; House 7> Thomas Sheehan, a bachelor and agricultural worker, was living with his father in 1901 and on his own in 1911. Thomas Sheehan, bachelor, age 73, laborer, died Cragroe on 31 January 1924; informant his nephew, Michael Flanagan (Scariff registration).

................................... 1.2.3 Patt Sheehan (1853 - unknown), of Cragroe, was baptized on 30 December 1853; father Patt Sheehan and mother Bridget Morony; sponsors John McNamara and Mary Flanhedy (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

................................... 1.2.4 Bridget Sheehan (1859 - after), of Cragroe, was baptized on 7 February 1859; father Patt Sheehan and mother Bridget Morony; sponsors William Morony and Bridget Sampson (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

Bridget Sheehan was likely the sponsor at the baptism of her nephew in 1880. Bridget Sheehan, of Cragroe, daughter of herdsman Pat Sheehan, married Martin Flanagan, of Tulla, car man, son of car man Pat Flanagan, on 7 February 1885, at Tulla chapel by the parish priest J. Hayes (Tulla registration).

Martin Flanagan (≈1842 - 1892) and Bridget Sheehan (1859 - after 1911) were the parents of five children, four surviving as of 1911 census:

............................................. 1.2.4.1 Anne Flanagan (age 15 in 1901) <Tulla Town, Tulla, House 4; House 112>
............................................. 1.2.4.2 Mary Kate Flanagan (1886 - prior to 1911)
............................................. 1.2.4.3 Bridget "Agnes" Flanagan (age 13 in 1901) <Tulla Town, Tulla, House 17; House 112> In 1901, Agnes (age 13) was not living with her family, but in Tulla as a dressmaker (likely an apprentice) with Anne Reidy (age 28, dressmaker).
............................................. 1.2.4.4 Patrick Flanagan (age 10 in 1901) <Tulla Town, Tulla, House 4; House 112>
............................................. 1.2.4.5 Michael Flanagan (age 8 in 1901) <Tulla Town, Tulla, House 4; House 112> Michael Flanagan was the informant at the death of his uncle, Thomas Sheehan, in 1924.

.................... 1.? Unknown Sheehan Daughter? a daughter of the murdered John Sheehan was noted at the July 1850 trial testimony as having been married to a nephew of the defendant, James Hurley. This nephew may, or may not, share the same surname as his Hurley uncle. Or it may have been hearsay in an attempt at the trial to find a relationship between John Sheehan and James Hurley which would have more likely led to a murder charge, and not the manslaughter verdict given Hurley.

The expanded Garruragh townland research has now led to a fourth Mary McNamara who could possibly have been the Mary McNamara who married Thady Lynch in February 1852 in Tulla Parish. One son of Thady Lynch and Mary McNamara went to Paterson, New Jersey, as did several of their Lynch grandchildren a generation later. Will further research of American records in Paterson provide any clues as to the mysterious identity of Mary McNamara Lynch of Garruragh and later Tyredagh as well as the later whereabouts of her siblings?

Edit 1 on 17 Nov. 2023: updated Sheehan family tree with information from Irish civil records (system had been down previously). Deleted analysis which confused the population of Tulla Parish and Tulla Union in estimating number of Tulla parish residents in the workhouse
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:43 am

Hi Jimbo

Don’t do too much editing of references to the 1842 map. It is no harm to remind us that the G V accompanying map is based on the 1842 map. In fact it is the 1842 map with orange outlines imposed upon it. Don’t forget that we have both wondered at the sight of those orange lines crossing so boldly over the thin outlines of the little crooked fields of old. And wondered at how silently that feat of engineering seems to have proceeded. I did recently see a passing reference (it is always a passing reference) to that process in a book about West Connemara (in Co. Galway), but, alas, did not note chapter and verse. The author briefly mentioned that landlords realigned the boundaries of farms in the post famine period. I imagine that “realignment” must have happened with the agreement of farmers and must have been to their benefit, mostly – otherwise there would have been much outcry and acrimony, neither of which do we see reported in the newspapers of the time.

Jimbo, your explanation of how the extra lots came about (in Garruragh) is very convincing. Good work. Thanks also for your work on the census figures. I mentioned those census reports in order to show that there might have been several families (including McNamaras) living in Garruragh in the 1850s, who were not documented in Griffith’s Valuation. By the way, it was Murf who helped me find that census report – see topic “1851 census of Clare”: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... 948#p12948

Thanks for the account of changes to the population of Tulla Workhouse. An aerial photo taken in 1965 is shown in an Ireland Reaching Out piece on Tulla Workhouse. It shows rear of the Workhouse, and the road passing by the workhouse and the entrance to the workhouse: https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/histor ... house-ruin. The dots on the fields nearby are haycocks, often called trams of hay.

I agree that Drimsheen is not Drumcoum.

Jimbo, you have a habit of stumbling on murder cases. I must admit that a murder case does add a bit of colour to the same old, same old. What a heartless thing to say! One can almost see the judge (his worshipfulness) in his rich robes, and James Hurley, “ a wretched looking elderly man”. Whenever those old judges are mentioned, I am reminded of Paddy Casey’s comment in the topic, “Murder of Thomas Kerin by Thomas Dorney 1832” and I always have to smile: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... Judge#p336.

Good work on Daniel McNamara and Mary Digaden and their descendants, and on John Sheehan and Joan Culloe, and their descendants.
I will be reading it all again and making further comments probably. I'm already thinking of one about the sheep's head.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:21 am

The sheep’s head. “the making of broth for them”, presented to Widow McNamara by the accused man, James Hurley, reminded me of the sheep’s head in Brendan Behan’s story, “The Confirmation Suit”.
In the story his Aunt Jack tries to get his grandmother to stop buying tins of food and to cook “stews and boiled cabbage and pig’s cheek” instead.
Aunt Jack was very much up for sheep's heads, too. They were cheap and nourishing.
But my grandmother only tried it once. She had been a first-class gilder in Eustace Street, but never had anything to do with sheep's heads before. When she took it out of the pot, and laid it on the plate, she and I sat looking at it, in fear and trembling. It was bad enough going into the pot, but with the soup streaming from its eyes, and its big teeth clenched in a very bad temper, it would put the heart crossways in you. My grandmother asked me, in a whisper, if I ever thought sheep could look so vindictive, but that it was more like the head of an old man, and would I for God's sake take it up and throw it out of the window. The sheep kept glaring at us, but I came the far side of it, and rushed over to the window and threw it out in a flash. My grandmother had to drink a Baby Power whiskey, for she wasn't the better of herself.
I wonder if James Hurley got his wish when he was handed down the sentence of transportation for life. We know that people committed crimes in the hopes of being transported. This motive for crime has been referred to a number of times on this forum. The topic, “Prison population descriptions 1851, ‘52”, for instance, gives a couple of instances of it: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=1588

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:11 pm

Hi Jimbo

I gather from this piece, by John Grenham, entitled “Griffith’s Valuation Online” that the map used by FindMyPast is more or less contemporaneous with the publication of the Valuation: https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/retr ... ntentid=67. I’m not a subscriber to FindMyPast, but you may be able to see if that map is more satisfactory than the map on askaboutireland.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi Jimbo, again

I continue to be intrigued by the difference between the number of houses (55) in Garruragh townland in the 1851 census and the number of tenants (24) listed in Griffith’s Valuation in 1855. And, as you show, Jimbo, some tenancies do not contain a house, so there are actually only 18 houses listed in 1855.
I listened to Frances McGee’s talk entitled “The 19th Century Valuation of Ireland” and noted that, at the 34 minute mark (or shortly after), she mentions that some houses were not valued for rates. She says that these were the houses of workmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5i3jVcxEWA (the video is interrupted several times by advertisements). I notice that Michael Conlon’s tenancy in Griffith’s Valuation of Garruragh, lot 4a, is described as Houses (in the plural). Were some of these houses occupied by workmen*, I wonder? If so, it would go some small way towards explaining the apparent fall in number houses. I looked at Glendree too where the number of houses in 1851 is 88, and the number of tenancies in 1855 is 64, and I see that a few tenancies are described as Houses, rather than House.

*Another name for a workman in rural areas is Cottier. A cottier is often described as as someone who had a cabin on a farm and who paid the rent by working for the farmer. One place where you will find the definition of “Cottier” is in the 1825 Report to Parliament on Disturbances in Ireland. In the course of giving evidence to the enquiry the (very select) witnesses gave these definitions: https://books.google.ie/books?id=KsZbAA ... er&f=false.
The link to the report was included in a post by Sharon Carberry entitled “For the history buff: Peter Robinson in his own words, 1824”: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... Buff#p6331. So, once again, thanks to Sharon who has contributed so much to this forum since 2008.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:20 pm

Sheila, thanks for the nice mention just above and also earlier on this page, for my prior postings being of some use for this thread. Actually, right back at you for your indispensable transcription of the full Tulla RC baptisms and marriages, previously only contributed in small bits and pieces by others to the Library. You have enabled correcting of a misperception about Patrick McNamara of Kilkishen (specifically, Clonlea townland) who married in 1828 Bridget Tuomey/Toomy of Liscullane in her own parish, Tulla, witnessed by two other Toomeys of Liscullane. Proof positive that this Tuomey family lived in that time period. No way to know absolutely why Patrick McN. went over to Liscullane for his bride, but he seems to have been a schoolteacher (see wife's death entry, next) and thus he was a good catch for her.

My transcription of the O'Callaghan's Mills baptismal register shows at least 2 children for the McNamara-Twomey family: Mary in June 1839 and Sally in Feb 1843, clearly showing the surname Tuomy for Bridget as the mother, and both entries showing a residence at Knockatloe (1839) or "Knock" (1843). Another researcher has attempted to graft into this family a Nov 1841 baptism of Margaret McNamara, shown clearly as a child of Patrick McNamara and a mother named Johanna Tuohy, no residence transcribable. Both that researcher and I believe that the earliest OCM Parish baptism of Patrick McNamara on 4 March 1838 belongs to this Patrick and Bridget McNamara family (I transcribed her surname as "Tourny?"), with a residence noted in the register but shaded too dark to read. With the online release of the OCM Parish death transcriptions, I believe that the final child for this family resulted in the mother Bridget's death: on 5 May 1848, in childbirth at Knockatloe, the wife of the schoolmaster McNamara died. (The other researcher, without the benefit of the death register or your Tulla transcription, in 2009 concluded that Bridget must have been a Tuohy and issued a conclusive-sounding report to Patrick McNamara's descendant who will never have the real facts for that family).

Sharon C.
Last edited by smcarberry on Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:55 pm

Sheila,
Another reply posting, this time concerning remarks you made Oct. 22nd:
The surname, Walker, reminds me of the post by Sharon Carberry on page 2 of this thread, in particular the 1850 NYC census showing Anne Walker, aged 23, Michael Walker (b. New York) aged 1, Honora McNamara, aged 60, and Eliza McNamara, aged 15.
I went back to that census listing and saw that, while no street name appears anywhere on the census page, it was labelled as Manhattan's 6th Ward. A handy map for the Sixth Ward in 1850 did not result from a Google search today, but an 1899 NYC's ward map shows that the 6th Ward clearly includes the lower end of Mulberry Street, the residence of the seeker in this "Missing Friends"-type advertisement (Boston Pilot newspaper, 24 July 1852):
OF JAMES MCNAMARA, from co. Clare, parish Nock brue. When last heard from (December, 1850) he was in Columbia, Virginia. Any information respecting him will be thankfully received by his sister, Mrs. Walker, No. 62 Mulberry street, New York
Having traveled through Columbia VA for over 3 years on my way to a relative's house, I am acquainted with this very rural cluster of houses, which in 2016 voted to drop its formal legal designation as a full-fledged town, likely because its population has not exceeded 90 people all this century. It was and remains a very rural place, although conveniently located for access to a major river, the James, which also flows into a major city, Richmond VA (about 25-35 miles east).

Not following up on that, but posting it here before the ad gets shuffled in again with other items.

Sharon C.