Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am

Hi Jim

About the sponsors named Sheedy: yes, it is likely enough, in this context, that these Sheedys are Sheedy McNamaras, but are they relatives, or just neighbours? I will allow that the witnesses at marriages were usually close relatives, and that the sponsors for the first child were usually relatives also, but, after that, they might just as easily be neighbours.

I agree that Patrick McNamara (who married Kate Foley) may not be related to Andrew Sheedy McNamara (married to Margaret Clancy). Indeed I do not see why we should try to tie any of these McNamaras together. The whole area was teeming with McNamaras and the boundaries between townlands did not hinder them from marrying in, or just moving in. If a farmer could afford to lease a farm of land that had been vacated during the Famine, he could reach an agreement with the landlord’s agent to do so. Having said that, I imagine that, in situations where a father had divided land among his sons and sons-in-law, or a group of relatives had divided land among themselves, and where some of these sub-tenants had taken the option of the poor-house, or the boat, then the land they had occupied probably fell back to the father, or to the others in the group. But there must have been quite a bit of land available in Tulla parish after the Famine, and that land did not remain vacant. Landlords at that time, having experienced much non-payment of rent during the famine, preferred to consolidate land into sizeable farms and let to farmers who showed signs of being able to afford the rent. Much of all this is concealed from us by Griffith’s Valuation, which was finalised in Clare in the post famine period. But the valuation had taken place in earlier years in the counties further north and (I gather) some of the process of “picking up the pieces” after the famine is shown more clearly in those counties.

About Michael McNamara in plot 60. I took another look at the original record of his death, in 1889, and his age is 64 – not 67. The Tulla parish record of his marriage, on 30.01.1853, gives his address as Uggoon. The sponsors were James McGrath, Lisofin, Margaret McInerny, Lisofin. So it seems that Michael came from Uggoon, but from which family? I don’t see how we can ever find that out.
Was Michael’s wife, Margaret Halpin, from Balouchtra, a sister of Anne Halpin who married Matthew McNamara in 1867, and who was also from Balouchtra? According to the record on familysearch.org, Anne Halpin’s father was James Halpin, but we have no way of knowing who Margaret’s father was. It’s interesting to see that the witnesses at the marriage of Matthew and Anne are Michael McNamara, Uggoon, and Margaret Halpin (Tulla parish marriages).

I agree with you as to the number of sons and daughters who “go out of the picture”, in order for one son to take over the farm, and I have already commented on this, comparing it to a feat of engineering. The workings of this engineering are concealed from us, but I suspect that those resourceful sisters in America, who sent money for tickets and who were there to meet the ship, were essential to it. But, it did not always come down to one son remaining and all the rest going. For every son that remained, there was a daughter, somewhere, who remained also - otherwise marriage for that son would not have been possible. And sometimes there was the possibility of a son marrying in to another farm. Often we see a brother, or sister remained unmarried. The remarkable thing about the family of Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins, and the family of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara is that they have left nobody at all – at least nobody that we can find so far. I would love to find a marriage record that gave Thomas McNamara, or Michael McNamara, Glendree, as the father – I mean a record from the 1860s – anything later than that is too late, I think, for the marriage of any of the children of either Thomas or Michael. For instance there is an 1878 marriage record that gives Michael McNamara as the father, but I’m pretty sure that this is Michael in plot 60: Maria McNamara, Glendree, daughter of Michael McNamara, Farmer, married James Morony, Glendree, in Drumcharley chapel, on 17 Feb. 1878; witnesses: Thomas Morony, Mary McNamara.

Familysearch.org throws up some other marriages registered in Tulla, but Tulla registration district covers a very large area, including quite a bit of Feakle parish.
Bearing that in mind, here are some that show some of the McNamaras who remained:
01 Nov. 1867: Mary McNamara, daughter of John McNamara, married Denis Hallinan, son of John Hallinan.
05 Feb. 1867: Martin McNamara, son of Patrick McNamara, married Bridget Boland, daughter of John Boland.
17 Feb. 1868: John McNamara, son of Michael McNamara, married Catherine McNamara, daughter of James McNamara.
27 Feb. 1865: Thady McNamara, son of John McNamara, married Bridget Brody, daughter of Patt Brody.
28 Nov. 1868: John McNamara, born 1818, son of Patrick McNamara, married Ellen Meaney, daughter of Thomas Meany.
31 Jan. 1866: Patrick McNamara, born 1831, Ballaman, Tulla, son of Thomas McNamara, married Mary Walsh, daughter of Edmond Walsh.
06 Feb. 1866: Mary McNamara*, born 1832, daughter of Daniel McNamara, married Patrick Galway, son of Michael Galway.
12 Feb. 1866: Anne McNamara, born 1826, daughter of Michael McNamara, married Lawrence Meany, son of Michael Meany.
18 Jan. 1869: Catherine McNamara, daughter of John McNamara, married Michael Moloney, son of John Moloney.
08 Feb. 1864: Honora McNamara, daughter of Daniel McNamara, married James Cody, son of John Cody.
04 Feb. 1864: Honora McNamara, daughter of Patrick McNamara, married William McKey, son of William McKey.

Some records, shown by familysearch.org, are already familiar to us, so I have not included them in that list, i.e. Mary McNamara to Richard Nash; Anne McNamara to John Canny; Matthew McNamara to Anne Halpin.

Also, by checking the Tulla parish marriages for that period, we can see that the Catherine McNamara who married John McNamara was from Derrymore Carmody and that John was from Rosslara, so not of interest to us, I think.

I don’t know what townland “Ballaman” refers to - maybe Ballinruan.

*I have looked at Mary McNamara, who married Pat Galway, and done some work which may be of interest to someone:
06.02.1866: Mary McNamara married Pat Galway; witnesses: John Sheehan, Mary Cooney (Tulla parish marriages). Pat Galway is in Glendree in Griffith’s Valuaion. He is leasing plot 19 (3 acres, 3 roods, 5 perches and a house).
These are their children:
07.12.1866: Patrick to Patrick Galway, Weaver, and Mary McNamara, Glendree (the baptism record give the sponsors as James Donohoe and Anne McNamara).
29.04.1869: Mary to Patrick Galway, Weaver, and Mary McNamara (the baptism record gives the sponsor as Bridget Halloran).
Pat Galway died in 1871, aged 76 (no image available at time of writing).
24.12.1874: Birth of Margaret to Mary Galway, Glendree (the baptism record gives Patrick Cooney as the father, and Margaret as Margaret Cooney).
In 1878, Mary married Hugh Tuohy: 12.10.1878: Mary Galway alias McNamara, widow, Glendree, daughter of Daniel McNamara, deceased, married Hugh Tuohy, from Feakle, son of Patrick Tuohy, deceased, in Tulla chapel; sponsors: Michael Nelson, Bridget Reddan.
They had a son, Daniel Tuohy: 13.10.1879: Baptism of Daniel of Hugh Tuohy and Mary Mack, Glendree; sponsors: Mary Galway.
The 1901 census shows Mary, a widow, aged 68, in Glendree (living alone). She died in Tulla workhouse in 1907, aged 70, widow of a farmer.
Revisions to Griffith’s Valuation show that Patrick Galway’s plot in Glandree transferred to Mary Tuohy and later transferred to Michael McNamara. The 1921 Rate Book for Glendree shows the owner as Michael McNamara.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 am

I’ve edited out some of my last posting lest I mislead anyone: Mary Galway nee McNamara, who married Hugh Tuohy in 1878, is not the same Mary McNamara, who was married to Hugh Tuohy, and who was living in Drummod, Boherglass, in 1901 and 1911 (In my initial posting I had included the births to this couple - thinking that they were the same couple who had had Daniel born to them in Glendree).
Mary Tuohy, of Glendree, remained in Glendree. The 1901 census shows her there, a widow, aged 68, living alone. She died in Tulla workhouse in 1907, aged 70, widow of a farmer.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 am

HEROES OP PEACE— AT CARDIGAN.

There are brave men in Australia, and the Victorian miners have their full share of the heroes of peace. Equal to almost anything on either side in the South African war is the work in which for the past few days Mining Inspector Fitches and his small parties of volunteer miners have been engaged. Comparisons are nearly always odious, and it is an equivocal proceeding to draw comparisons between sets of men who have vindicated their courage and spirit of self-sacrifice under widely different circumstances. Sufficient it is for every man that he acquits himself well and nobly when the pinch comes, come from whatever direction and in whatever form it may. Most undoubtedly have Mr. Fitches and the Cardigan miners, in the terrible affair over there, proved that they are "of the blood," of the sort of stuff out of which heroes are made. The names of the men who went down the shaft with the inspector and brought back the two young truckers to air and light, and home and kindred, were Patrick Bowles, John O'Brien, and Stephen Hall. For the safety of the party, as a corps of one of observation and reserve, one of them (O'Brien) was stationed at the plat. The three others forced their way along the level, and then up the rise to the top of the balance shaft, and released the two young men who had been imprisoned there for very nearly fifty hours. In itself this was a splendid achievement. The Cardigan is an old mine, and in the neighborhood of country that has been in work for half a century. Fresh bursts of water mud sludge are every now and again coming away, and no one knows how many millions of gallons of this horrid debris there is at any moment ready to discharge itself, like a subterranean mud avalanche, from the shallower and older portions of the Cardigan lead into the deeper and more recently opened parts. At times, as from the plat, Fitches and his brave fellows plunged and fought their way along the level towards the balance shaft there were but 18 inches of clear space between the top of the slush and the bottom of the level. There was sound grit in the men who tackled the job, and saw it through so happily and so resolutely.

But gallant as was this feat of legs and arms, it was eclipsed by the exploit of the next day into the long and terrible intermediate level. From the point at the bottom of the shaft to the balance shaft is 200ft. Then there is a rise of 42 feet, and thence the intermediate level begins, and bas been continued for a distance of 1000 feet. It is 700 feet from the top of the balance shaft to the No. 1 rise, down which as events show, there was a deadly and smothering rush of water, sand, mud, and displaced timber. The non-mining reader should recollect that this Serbonian bog is not upon the surface. It has to be faced and explored in total darkness, except for what light the men can carry with them. At every step they take there maybe another avalanche of mud and water and general mining debris, and every piece of loose timber that they remove from their track may be a chock that was keeping back a flood, which if it breaks away will overwhelm them in horror and darkness. None than Mr. Fitches and the men about the mine knew better the risks that a search party would have to undergo if the four missing men were going to be brought out — alive if God so willed it, or the living bearing the dead, also if God so willed it. Amongst the scores of noble fellows standing around, it makes one's heart pulsate more quickly and pleasurably to read that there was no lack of volunteers. In fact it was, as a reporter who was on the spot says, only a matter of choosing the most experienced men. The narrative proceeds that both Inspector Fitches and Manager Harris determined to go down, taking with them for assistance Patrick Bowles, J. Robes, D. Adams, J. Pine, J. Stephenson, and Alfred Taylor. Inspector Fitches, the redoubtable Pat. Bowles, Adams, and Robes were the party who attacked the Cimmerian darkness of the intermediate levels, nearly a thousand feet away from the shaft where only was comparative safety.

"I can tell you," remarked Fitches, speaking of the incident afterwards, "that it was not a nice sensation going up that level, and knowing that at any time there might be another break of water". I said to Bowles, "How do you like it, Pat?" "I don't like it wan bit, sorr," was his reply.

They were brave men, not in search of vainglory or advertisement. None of them liked it "wan bit." But they felt that it was their duty to conquer their disliking, and right heroically they did. Now, we hear of and see a lot of public officials whose ambition is to waft along from pay day to pay day on downy beds of ease. Inspector Fitches is not of their kind. He has earned his cheque for this month, and a little besides for which he can never be paid in full. The value of the example of such men is not computable by cash or cheque. He and the brave fellows associated with him should be specially recognised. The Mining Department's certificates and the Australasian Humane Society's medals are theirs, it goes almost without saying. But the public, too, should do something to prove that their appreciation of valor and self-sacrifice is not dead, that they can recognise the hero in a miners' "oiler" or in an old working shirt or jacket as vividly as they can when he is surrounded by khaki and flags and drums and guns and prancing horses. The various branches of the Miners' Association ought to take charge of the movement. The very name of Cardigan is indelibly associated with valor, devotion, and duty. It is one of the finest and most inspiriting of England's war stories. The tale of the six hundred at Balaclava can never die. The new Cardigan is, however, associated with peace, with the perils and calamities of the great industrial army, but its story is none the less real and heroic on that account.

The Weather. — There was dust in abundance, and a shower or two yesterday afternoon, with another shower in the evening. But though there might have been 100 points of dust, there were only about .001 of a point of rain.

HEROES OP PEACE-- AT CARDIGAN. (1902, March 25). The Bendigo Independent (Vic. : 1891 - 1918), p. 2. Retrieved December 8, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article227552679
Patrick Bowles, the hero in this story, is the brother of Margaret Bowles McNamara of Glandree. He is also a first cousin of Kate McNamara of St Elizabeths Hospital of Washington D.C.. But I don't believe his McNamara relatives are Sheedy McNamara's.

Whether or not Thomas McNamara of Glandree is a Sheedy McNamara is a most critical clue for the ongoing search for the missing Civil War soldier and should not be overlooked. New York is a big state with lots of McNamara's, and so it is important to determine where his likely cousins the Sheedy McNamara's of Glandree went to in New York in the 1840's and 1850's. It is probable that the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree enlisted for the Union in the 1860's at the same location where other relatives were living.

In 1866 Patrick Bowles and his older brother James Bowles of Glandree didn't just willy nilly get on the Ship Shalimar at Liverpool on May 25th bound for Melbourne. They were following in the footsteps of their uncle or perhaps great uncle James Bowles (1775 - 1868), wife Mary Anne McMahon Bowles (1789 - 1872) and their entire family of nine children (including son Ambrose Bowles) who left Feakle for the Colony of Victoria one generation earlier.

Their brother Henry Bowles chose a different path and arrived in New York on the Ship Europe on 19 September 1873. Call it speculation, but surely it is not a coincidence that he ended up living first in Washington D.C. and then Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - the same two cities as numerous cousins and nephew and nieces would leave Ireland for in later years.
HENRY BOWLES

Henry Bowles, aged 59, died yesterday at his home, 7620 Susquehanna Street. Mr. Bowles was born in County Clare, Ireland He came to America and settled in Washington D.C., about 45 years ago. Thirty-three years ago he came to Pittsburg. He was a member of the Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Church, Pittsburgh Council No. 165, Catholic Mutual Benefit Association, the Holy Name Society and the Carpenter's Union. He is survived by a widow, Mrs. Anna Bowles, and one daughter, Miss Anna Bowles, both at home; two brothers James and Patrick, of Australia, and a sister, Mrs. James McNamara of County Clare, Ireland.
The Pittsburgh Press, 27 October 1915
As discussed in my last posting, Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley (House 17) do not appear closely related to the Sheedy McNamara's of Glandree. I've removed them from the prior family listing. They appear to be related to their neighbors in House 15, James McNamara and Margaret Bowles. As Sheila has speculated, I believe it is through the Foley grandmother connection that in 1913 Mary McNamara of Washington D.C. has the maid of honor Sarah McNamara at her wedding be reported in the newspaper as her cousin. Mary (2.1.3) and Sarah (1.4.7) are second cousins as shown in the below chart:

1.0 Ellen Foley () married in to John Bowles ()
............ 1.1 James Bowles (1842 - ) arrived in Melbourne, Australia in September 1866 on the Ship Shalimar with brother Patrick. In the 1915 obituary of brother Henry Bowles of Pittsburgh, James is reported to be in Australia, but he is difficult to locate in Australian records. He is easy to confuse with cousin James Bowles (1820 - 1899) born in Feakle whose family moved to Australia in the 1840's or 1850's, and who married Jane Maly, daughter of John Maly and Judy O'Dea of Tulla. Three O'Malley sisters born in Tulla (Mary Anne in 1834; Jane in 1837; Eliza in 1842) moved to Victoria.

............ 1.2 Patrick Bowles (1846 - 1913) arrived in Melbourne, Australia in September 1866 on the Ship Shalimar with brother James. Married Mary Josephine Bourke in 1879. Lived in Haddon, outside of Ballarat, Victoria. A hero who saved three fellow miners in the Cardigan Mining Disaster of 1902, as mentioned in his obituary. Australian death index states parents as "Jno Bowls" and "Ellen Foley".
......................... 1.2.1 Mary Ellen Bowles (1880)
......................... 1.2.2 Henry Bowles (1882)
......................... 1.2.3 Winifred C Bowles (1884)
......................... 1.2.4 Thomas Patrick Bowles (1886 - 1917)

............ 1.3 Ambrose Bowles (1848 - appears to have died young?)

............ 1.4 Margaret Bowles (1850 - ) married in 1870 to James McNamara (age 65 in 1901; age 78 in 1911) <House 13, House 13>
......................... 1.4.1 John J McNamara (1871 - 1 October 1946 in Pittsburgh) arrived in USA in 1892 according to census reports; wife Mary.
......................................... 1.4.1.1 Margaret McNamara (age 17 in 1930)
......................................... 1.4.1.2 Mary McNamara (age 16 in 1930)
......................................... 1.4.1.3 Vincent McNamara (age 12 in 1930)
......................................... 1.4.1.4 John McNamara (age 10 in 1930)
......................... 1.4.2 James McNamara (1872 - 1956 in Pittsburgh) arrived in USA about 1900 according to census records. Worked as nurse at Mercy Hospital (founded by Sisters of Mercy) during first years in Pittsburgh. Married to Nellie Reilly (born PA, age 39 in 1910).
......................................... 1.4.2.1 James McNamara (1909)
......................... 1.4.3 Ellen McNamara (1874 - 1953 in Pittsburgh) arrived in USA about 1898 according to census reports. Married to Joseph D. Ihmsen.
......................................... 1.4.3.1 Charles C Ihmsen (age 17 in 1920)
......................................... 1.4.3.1 Eileen M Ihmsen (age 15 in 1920)
......................................... 1.4.3.1 Sheila O C Ihmsen (age 6 in 1920)
......................... 1.4.4 Henry McNamara (1876 - 1909 in Pittsburgh) arrived on 21 May 1899 on SS Rhynland at Philadelphia; contact was brother James McNamara of Mercy Hospital, Pittsburgh. Returned to Ireland for a visit in 1904.
......................... 1.4.5 Margaret McNamara (1879 - 1945 in Washington D.C.) worked at St Elizabeths Hospital in Washington D.C. Married to Joseph L. Bond.
......................... 1.4.6 Mary Kate McNamara (age 16 in 1901) <House 13, x> arrived in Philadelphia on 22 September 1901 on SS Noordland; contact sister Margaret Bond of St Elizabeths Hospital, Washington D.C. Living with sister Eleanor Ihmsen in Pittsburgh in 1910 through 1930 Census periods.
......................... 1.4.7 Sarah McNamara (age 14 in 1901) <House 13, x> arrived on the SS Haverford at Philadelphia on 15 October 1906; her contact sister Mrs Margaret Bond, Washington D.C.
......................... 1.4.8 Emily McNamara (age 9 in 1901) <House 13, House 13> arrived in Philadelphia on the SS Friesland on 22 May 1911; to her sister Margaret Bond at St Elizabeth Hospital, Washington D.C.
......................... 1.4.9 Bridget McNamara (age 8 in 1901) <House 13, House 13>
......................... 1.4.10 Ambrose McNamara (age 2 in 1901) <House 13, House 13>

............ 1.5 Henry Bowles (1853 - 26 October 1915 in Pittsburgh) moved to Washington D.C. around 1870, then to Pittsburgh around 1882 according to obituary. Married on 9 February 1886 to Anna McPoland (1856 in Ireland - 23 December 1928) in Allegheny.
......................... 1.5.1 Anna Bowles

2.0 Kate Foley (died in 1887, age 65) married in 1846 to Patrick McNamara (1820 - 29 May 1906) <House 17, x>
............ 2.1 Patrick McNamara (1847 - after 1911) married in 1877 to Kate McMahon (died in 1894, age 40) <House 17, House 39>
......................... 2.1.1 John J McNamara (1878 - 1945 in Pittsburgh) <House 17, x> in 1909 on SS Majestic to sister Mary in Washington D.C. Fireman for City of Pittsburgh. Married Bridget "Bessie" Creamer (1881 County Cavan - 1933) ; had three children.
......................... 2.1.2 Kate McNamara (1880 - before 1884)
......................... 2.1.3 Mary McNamara (1882?) arrived in New York in June 1900 on SS Cymric; worked at St. Elizabeths Hospital with Aunt Kate McNamara (2.4) in Washington D.C. Returned to Ireland in 1907. Married Richard Bennett in 1913; five children.
......................... 2.1.4 Kate McNamara (1884) <House 17, House 39>
......................... 2.1.5 Patrick McNamara (1886 - 1889)
......................... 2.1.6 Martin McNamara (1888) <House 17, House 39>
......................... 2.1.7 Thomas McNamara (1890 - 1966 in Pittsburgh) <House 17, x> married Catherine Moore; two children.
......................... 2.1.8 Winifred McNamara (1891) <House 17, House 39>
......................... 2.1.9 Helena "Ellen" McNamara (1894) <House 17, House 39>

............ 2.2 Martin McNamara (1848 - prior to 1857)

............ 2.3 Winifred McNamara (1851 - 1915, Washington D.C.) arrived in USA about 1870 according to census reports; married Mr. O'Connor
......................... 2.3.1 John F. O'Connor (1879 in Washington D.C.)
......................... 2.3.2 Julia C. O'Connor (1881 in Washington D.C.)

............ 2.4 Catherine McNamara (1853 - 1925, Washington D.C) arrived in USA about 1875 according to census reports; worked at St Elizabeths Hospital, Washington D.C.; trips back to Ireland in 1903 and 1910.

............ 2.5 John McNamara (1855 - 1902 in Pittsburgh; funeral in Washington D.C.)

............ 2.6 Martin McNamara (1857 - about 1939, Washington D.C.) arrived in USA about 1884 according to census reports. Married Mary Florence Tyne on 15 April 1890 in Washington D.C.
......................... 2.6.1 Mary E. McNamara (born about 1892 in Washington D.C.), assistant illustrator at the Dept of Agriculture in 1939 City Directory

............ 2.7 Thomas McNamara (1861 - 1928, Washington D.C.) arrived in USA about 1882 according to census reports. Married Hanora Daly (age 48 in 1910)
......................... 2.7.1 Thomas McNamara (age 20 in 1910)
......................... 2.7.2 Joseph McNamara (age 18 in 1910)
......................... 2.7.3 James McNamara (age 15 in 1910)
......................... 2.7.4 John McNamara (age 12 in 1910)
......................... 2.7.5 Martin McNamara (age 11 in 1910)

And to end with another heroic effort, this time by Henry McNamara (1.4.4 above) to return to Ireland to visit his mother Margaret Bowles McNamara of Glandree as he had promised. After some initial challenges, we know that he met his promise as Henry McNamara of Glandree was on a return journey of the SS Baltic arriving in New York on 8 July 1904; contact his brother John McNamara of 97 Charles Street; only $10 in his possession.
M'NAMARA GOT HAPPY
THINKING OF IRELAND

Henry McNamara, of 97 Charles Street, Allegheny, a street car conductor, was arrested yesterday afternoon in Allegheny, charged with being drunk, and he missed his train for the East. However he may yet catch the boat for Ireland.

For years McNamara has promised his mother in Ireland that he would go back to see her, and yesterday he withdrew his savings from the bank about $250, and got ready to start for Ireland. He got a neat little watch to take to his mother in the old country, and proceeded to tank up. When the police finally took him in charge he had $200 in bills, two watches and his conductor punch. He had been hitting such a pace, however, that it seemed the trip to Ireland might not be taken this spring.

During the evening many friends called at the station to see what had become of McNamara.

The Pittsburgh Press, 17 April 1904.
Last edited by Jimbo on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 am

Hi Jim

That is really marvelous work. And very interesting to read - with plenty of colour and action for good measure
You have “Bridget Foley” instead of “Kate Foley” on one occasion – just a typo that you can easily fix.
I think that you are right in saying that this Patrick McNamara (living in House 17 in 1901) is not a Sheedy McNamara. My hobby-horse is the name Andrew, and I notice that it is not used by those McNamaras. I have been doing a bit of musing on the name Andrew McNamara – it’s not getting me very far in our search for Thomas, but here is what I have anyway:

The Tithe Applotment Books show just one And’w McNamara in Glendree, who I think must be Andrew (1802-1867) married to Margaret Clancy, and just one Andrew McNamara in Uggoon, who I think must be Andrew (1789-1869) married to Bridget McNamara. And I think there is a very good chance that Thomas is related to one, or other of these Andrews, because, as I’ve mentioned a couple of times already, an Andrew McNamara is witness at the marriage of Johanna (Mary?) McNamara to James Madigan (1860). Now it’s possible that Thomas’s father is not an Andrew, but, rather, a brother of one of those Andrews. But, in that case, I would expect to see the name Andrew used for one of Thomas’s brothers. So I’ve searched the Tulla baptisms and can find only 9 Andrew McNamaras baptised 1819-1881*, most of whom we already know to be descendants of either Glendree Andrew, or Uggoon Andrew, the 3 exceptions being Andrew of Martin McNamara and Bid Foley; Andrew of Andrew McNamara and Bridget Kerucan; Andrew of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin.
*12.08.1828: Andrew Mac of Andrew Mac and Bridget Mac, Uggoon; sponsors: Michael Sheedy, Mary Pepper.
18.04.1835: Andrew McNamara of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara, Uggoon; sponsors: John Molony, Mary McNamara.
??.??.1841-42: Andrew of Andrew Sheedy McNamara and Peg Clancy, Glandree; sponsors: Bridget Rochford.
??.12.1843: Andrew of Martin McNamara and Bid Foley; sponsors: T. Jones, Ellen Hayes.
15.08.1856: Andrew of Mat McNamara and Judith O’Dea; sponsors: John McInerney, Bridget O’Dea
13.03.1857: Andrew of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin, Glendree; sponsors: Andrew McNamara, Bridget McNamara.
08.11.1871: Andrew of Andrew and Margaret McEvoy, Glendree; sponsors: Patrick McNamara, Catherine O’Neill [Catherine O’Neill is Patrick’s wife].
31.07.1875: Andrew of Andrew Mack and Bridget Kerucan, Bonavoree; sponsors: Patrick Kearney, Mary Kearney.
09.04.1877: Andrew of Patrick McNamara and Ellen McMahon, Glendree; sponsors: Martin McNamara, Mary Cooney.

About half of these Andrews are two young to be a witness at that marriage in 1860 – their purpose in this list is just to show which families used the name Andrew. There may be some Andrews whose baptisms were not recorded, and some Andrews may have been baptised during those years in the early 1820s, the records for which have not survived (pages are missing from register). And I think it’s worth noting that the sponsors at the baptism of Thomas of Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins (30.11.1821) are Andrew McNamara, Susan McNamara.

The upshot of my musings, on the name Andrew, is that I think some McNamara families in Glandree are unlikely to be the relatives of Thomas (and Mary Madigan): (1) McNamaras who share plot 3 and who live in Houses 5 & 6 in 1901; (2) Patrick McNamara who held plot 24, and who lives in House 17 in 1901; (3) James McNamara who married Margaret Bowles and lives in House 13 in 1901.
Jim, I think we are of the same opinion on this.

Congratulations again on your work on the Bowles family. It’s interesting to see the name Ambrose used in every generation.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Jim

This death record may be for the father of Pat McNamara in Uggoon (married to Bridget Connors): 1878: Death of Martin McNamara, Uggoon, aged 81, widower, Farmer; informant: Patt McNamara, present at death, Uggoon.
I wonder if Martin is the Martin McNamara in the Tulla baptisms 1819-1846, married to Judy McMahon – though their residence is in Glendree - not Uggoon. These are the baptisms recorded for that couple:
03.12.1836: Winifred of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree; sponsor: Winifred Connors.
16.07.1840: Pat of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree; sponsors: Tom and Mary Mac.
29.09.1843: Anne of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon; sponsors: Bridget (?) Couney(?).
??.09.1845: Michael of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree; sponsor: Mary Hicky.

If so, the Pat McNamara in Uggoon Upper in 1901, aged 53, may be Pat born in 1840. In 1911, Patrick gives his age as 72. The 1921 Rate Book for Glendree shows that the farm he owns is the one held by a Matthew McNamara at the time of Griffith’s Valuation (plot 13AaB). Normally, I would guess that Matthew was Pat's father, but it’s possible that he was his grandfather, or uncle.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 am

Hi Sheila,

I'm glad we are now in agreement on most points, but it won't last long!

Thank you very much for the new information. I agree that the Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon of Glandree have a very good chance to be the parents of Patrick McNamara born in 1840 and married with Bridget Connors living in Uggoon. I reckon this Martin McNamara has a strong chance to be a "Sheedy McNamara". At the baptism of his son Pat in 1840 are "Tom and Mary Mac" who I believe are his siblings: "Thomas Sheedy" married to Margaret Hawkins; and "Mary Sheedy" married to Michael Molony. This Martin McNamara was born in 1797, only a few years after "Bridget Sheedy" in 1793. The new Martin fits perfectly into the Sheedy clan.

With your discovery of this Martin (Sheedy, I think) McNamara, it does shed more doubt that the Martin McNamara married to Bridget Foley is truly a "Sheedy McNamara" or not. I reckon the Martin McNamara married to Bridget Foley has a greater chance of being a brother to the Andrew McNamara (non Sheedy) married to Bridget McNamara. Martin's son Laurence appears as a sponsor at 5 baptisms for the children of his likely first cousins (children of Bridget McNamara and Andrew McNamara): (1) 1858, James, son of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin; (2) 1860, Bridget, daughter of "Michael McNamara" ** and Johanna O'Dea (3) 1867, Michael, son of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin; (4) 1870, Anne, daughter of Matthew Halpin and Anne Halpin; (5) 1872, Catherine, Matthew Halpin and Anne Halpin. This provides evidence that Laurence McNamara is related to these two brothers, but it could just as easily be through their father Andrew (non Sheedy) McNamara married to Bridget Sheedy McNamara. Laurence does not appear as a sponsor for the numerous grandchildren of Andrew Sheedy McNamara married to Margaret Clanchy.

** As evidence that Michael McNamara and Matthew McNamara were indeed brothers, at the baptism of Bridget in November 1860 the priest has confused the two. Clearly the husband of Johanna O'Dea should be Matthew McNamara and this is a mistake by the priest (the transcription is fine). Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin had their own daughter Bridget born only a few months later in March 1861.

On a different topic, I'm having a difficult time finding the baptism record for Patrick Jones born 22 January 1866 in Tulla to Michael Jones and Biddy Lyons as found in FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... print=true

This Patrick Jones is an important clue. For Kate McNamara, this is the current family structure (ignoring the younger grandchildren):
5.0 Kate McNamara (1816 - 1896*) and Dennis McNamara, then Michael Jones (1816 ? - after 1889)
* Death record informant in 1896 was her brother Thomas McNamara (7.0)

............ 5.1 Johanna McNamara (1838)
............ 5.2 Michael Jones (1842 - 1889) and Margaret Nelson (1846 - 11 May 1893, age 47)
......................... 5.2.1 Mary Jones (1872), married Gilbert W. Sheridan on 2 September 1903 in Lowell, MA. Mary was contact for other siblings arriving in Boston.
......................... 5.2.2 John Jones (1874 - 1948) married to Mary Donnellan of Leihart, Kilclaran on 29 February 1916 <House 2, House 24>,
......................... 5.2.3 Catherine Jones (1875) + 8 more children.
I know that you don't agree with the marriage of Kate to Denis McNamara or birth of daughter Johanna in 1838, but this is not what I want to discuss. The Michael Jones born in 1842 married to Margaret Nelson has his first child in 1872 when he was thirty years old. I believe that Michael Jones was first married to Biddy Lyons and had a son Patrick in 1866.

The evidence for this is in the 1900 Census for Worcester, Massachusetts. Michael McNamara, the son of Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes (per his 1899 marriage record in Worcester and a trip back to Ireland) is living with his "cousin" Patrick Jones. When this Patrick Jones married in 1906 in Worcester, his parents were Michael Jones and Bridget Lyons (same as Tulla civil record for 1866 birth).

I believe this not only shows that Kate McNamara's son Michael Jones had another child through a first marriage, but also sheds some doubt as to the husband of Kate McNamara as "Michael Jones". We have found no marriage record for Kate McNamara and Michael Jones (nor for Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson). There is only one single baptism record as evidence that Kate McNamara was married to Michael Jones, the baptism of their son Michael in 1842. I checked the original record and your transcription looks good. Could the priest have made a mistake though in repeating the name of the son and father in error? Could the father of Michael born in 1842 actually be Patrick Jones, the name of his first born son? Did Kate McNamara (I believe a widow) marry Patrick Jones (a widower)? Perhaps the Patrick Jones of Glandree who married Mary McNamara with four children born in Glandree? This might explain why Kate McNamara only had one son with "Michael" Jones?

Michael McNamara, of Worcester Massachusetts since 1895, only declared to become a U.S. Citizen in June 1935 apparently so he could return to Ireland. This was the same year that his older brother Thomas died in Glandree. On his return trip to Boston on the SS Samaria arriving on 2 September 1935, he stated his Irish relative was cousin "Mr. T. McNamara" of Cloonaghroe, County Clare. This was Thomas, the son of his uncle James McNamara, who in 1911 was living in House 8 in Cloonnagro, Loughea. More evidence that Thomas McNamara and James McNamara were siblings, although this was no longer in doubt. Sheila, you previously stated that Thomas McNamara (son of Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes) of Glandree died in 1935, could you please let me know the month if it is on the record?

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Jim

Thomas McNamara, Glandree, died 24.01.1935, aged 71.
And here is the record of the marriage of Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson:
31.01.1872; Michael Jones, Glandree, Bachelor, Farmer, son of Michael Jones, Farmer, married Margaret Nelson, Lower Feakle, daughter of Thomas Nelson, Farmer, in Feakle chapel; witnesses: Michael Mack, Bridget Nelson.

About the Joneses: I agree that there is very little evidence of the marriage between Kate McNamara and Michael Jones – there is just that one record, i.e. the baptism of Michael on 15.06.1842. But there is also this death record, which suggests to me that Michael Jones’s father, also Michael, died in 1890, and that the Catherine Jones nee McNamara, who died in 1896, was Michael Senior’s widow:
09.06.1890: Death of Michael Jones, Glendree, aged 90, Labourer, married; informant: Michael Jones, Mohera.
18.05.1896: Death of Catherine Jones, Glandree, aged 80, widow of Farmer; informant: Thomas McNamara, brother of deceased, Glandree.
As I say, I suspect that this Michael Jones is the father of Michael Jones, who had been evicted (according to the newspaper report) and who had died on 03.05.1889, in Maghera*, aged 48, of acute pneumonia (informant: Margaret Jones, widow of deceased, Maghera).
* Maghera is a townland in Feakle parish, but is adjacent to Glendree in Tulla parish. I suspect that Michael Jones and Margaret and family went to live in Maghera after the eviction, and that Michael’s parents, Michael and Catherine (if I am right in thinking that Michael Jones senior and Catherine nee McNamara are his parents) remained in Glandree. Michael Senior would have been described as a Labourer because he was no longer a farmer.

Yes, I see the civil record of the birth, in Tulla Workhouse, on 22.01.1866, of Patrick Jones to Michael Jones, Keraun, and Bridget Lyons, and I agree that there does not seem to be a record of the baptism. I can’t explain the relationship between this Patrick (b. 1866) and Michael the son of Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes, but I'm not sure that we can explain it by saying that Michael Jones had married Bridget Lyons before he married Margaret Nelson – at least the record of his marriage to Margaret Nelson doesn’t describe him as a widower.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for the new information on the Michael Jones family. I was hesitant to accept that Michael Jones, Sr. and Kate McNamara had a son Michael Jones based just upon the one 1842 baptism record. Especially since the priest appears to have made lots of mistakes in the Tulla baptism register for the Jones family. For example, in 1826 Catherine Hanrahan married "John Jones" of Glandree. And in 1829, Catherine Hanrahan has a son John with "Michael Jones". In 1831, Catherine Hanrahan has a daughter Margaret with "Thomas Jones". It was only in the later births from 1833 to 1939 that the priest got the husband of Catherine Hanrahan correct as "John Jones".

But by your providing detail of their son Michael's marriage record with father listed as Michael as well as Michael, Sr.'s death record I am now convinced. Interesting that Michael Jones, Sr. born in 1800 would have been 16 years older than Kate McNamara. I believe this might provide some support that Kate McNamara was a widow. And she was indeed the Kate McNamara of Glandree who married Denis McNamara in 1837 and who had a daughter Johanna ("Judy") in 1838.

Johanna McNamara of course is a common name. But there is a Johanna McNamara reported as born about 1837 in Ireland, single, living in the New York Almshouse for Women on Blackwell Island off Manhattan in the East River with hundreds of other women, many Irish born. A census of inmates at the almshouse lists Johanna McNamara's admission date as 6 July 1899 and place of birth as Clare, Ireland. I suppose with a surname like "McNamara", the fact that she was born in County Clare should come as no great surprise. The only possibly indentifying clue was that she had a "Friend: Mrs. Burke, 6 Stone Street". A Johanna McNamara born about 1837 died in Manhattan on 20 March 1904.

1900 census for Blackwell Island (includes penitentiary, workhouse, charity hospital, insane asylum, and almshouses for women and men):

The families of Patrick Jones (born 1866) and Michael McNamara (born 1877), who were listed as "cousins" in the 1900 Census, would remain very close in Worcester, Massachusetts. In the 1940 Census, a 72 year old widower Patrick F Jones and his daughter Mary C Jones (age 29) is living next door to the widow Margaret McNamara (age 62) and her daughter Mary E McNamara (age 32). Michael McNamara had married Margaret Fitzgerald (daughter of Thomas Fitzgerald and Bridget Walsh) in Worcester on 6 September 1899.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Jim

Thanks for that interesting item. There were indeed a great many Irish women in that institution. And it does seem that Patrick Jones and Michael McNamara were closely related and also good friends.
Did you notice that the person, who reported the death of Michael Jones Sen. (of Glendree), in 1900, was a Michael Jones of Mohera. Who can he be, I wonder? You have accounted for all of the eleven children of Michael Jones Jun. and Margaret Nelson (as mentioned in the newspaper report). Elizabeth, the youngest, was born in Glendree on 08.04.1889. I wondered if she was born after the publication of that newspaper report, so I went back to page 10, where you quote that report, and see that it was published on June 1st and that the death of Michael on May 3rd was mentioned, so Elizabeth must have been one of the eleven.

Now here is a ragbag of completely disjointed bits and pieces, a couple of which I mentioned in passing and can give a little further information on. They may be of interest to someone:

(1) I mentioned this marriage: Catherine McNamara, Glendree, daughter of Daniel McNamara, deceased, married Stephen McNamara, a widower, Ayle, son of Daniel McNamara (deceased), in Tulla chapel, on 18 Feb. 1872; witnesses: Michael Murphy, Bridget Powell*.
Griffith’s Valuation shows Stephen McNamara as leasing plot 13c in Ayle, Upper in Griffiths. Feakle Lower baptisms shows the baptism, on 14.12.1874, of Bridget of Stephen McNamara and Catherine MacNamara; sponsor: Mary Murphy.
Stephen McNamara died in 1879: Stephen McNamara, Ayle, aged 60, married, Farmer; informant: James McNamara, Ayle. I think James may be James McNamara, Ayle Upper, who was married to Margaret Rodgers.
I found no record of the death of Catherine, and no further record for her daughter, Bridget.

(2) On page 13, I mentioned this couple: Martin Corry and Honora McNamara, Doonane, Tulla. I had noted that, in the Tulla baptisms, Honora also went by the name of Honora Sheedy, and I wondered which family of McNamaras she belonged to. I sent for the record of their marriage (in 1867) and have received it and see that Honor Sheedy came from Broadford parish:10.10.1867: Martin Corry, Bachelor, Cragg, Tulla, son of Peter Corry, deceased, married Honor Sheedy, Kilbane, daughter of John Sheedy, Farmer, in Broadford chapel; witnesses: James Lillis, Anne Wall. So Honora did not belong to any of the McNamaras or Sheedys in Tulla after all.

(3) Imagining that the name Andrew might show a connection to a McNamara family in Glendree, I looked at Andrew McNamara, who is shown in the 1901 census as living in the townland of Annagh in Feakle parish (Coolreagh DED), but I found no connection: 1901: Catherine, widow, aged 60, and son Andrew aged 28.
Civil records show the birth, in 1872, of Andrew McNamara to Michael McNamara and Catherine Bourke, Annagh; informant: Elizabeth Bourke.
Feakle Lower baptisms show some other children born to Catherine and Michael:
16.02.1874:Dennis of Michael Mack and Kate Burke; sponsors: Pat Malone, Honora Grady.
14.07.1876: William of Michael Mack and Catherine Burke; sponsors: Francis O’Grady, Susan O’Grady.
18.03.1879: Johanna of Michael McNamara and Kate Burke; sponsors: Daniel Grady, Mary McNamara.
Tom McDowell’s list of emigrants from Feakle includes Andrew McNamara, aged 29 (b. 1873) aboard SS Germanic from Queenstown, arriving 11 Apr. 1902, going to his mother Catherine McNamara, 167, East 87th Street, New York. Catherine seems to have gone the previous year, as there is also an entry for Andrew going that year aboard SS Majestic from Queenstown, to his mother (US Resident): http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... grants.htm

(4) Looking at the House and Building Return (Form B 1) for the 1901 census of Glendree – in particular page 3 of that form, I noticed that Anne McNamara is living in a house (No. 48) owned by “Myles McNamara (Quinn)” (by 1911 Anne was living in her own house). “Quinn” is spelled as the surname is usually spelled, but on this occasion it may (or may not) refer to a Myles McNamara who lived in Quin parish.
The 1901 census for Corbally (Clooney DED) shows a Myles McNamara, aged 75, Shepherd, and wife Bridget aged 65, plus grandson Charles Taylor, born in Australia, aged 15, grandson Danl Scanlan aged 10, and granddaughter Delia Reddan, Servant, aged 16. Myles and Bridget are not in Corbally in 1911. The townland of Corbally seems to have been entirely occupied by a single estate: http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/ ... sp?id=1845, and all the people living there seem to be employees living in houses belonging to the estate. For that reason, I’m not sure that the McNamaras living in Corbally in 1911 are descendants of Myles and Bridget (i.e. Thomas McNamara, Stone Mason, and James McNamara, Groom).
Myles was married twice: his second wife was Bridget O’Connell nee Digidan. The baptisms of the children of Daniel Connell and Bridget Digidan (Quin Clooney baptisms) show that Bridget and Daniel Connell had lived in Knockanoura at first and then in Castletown. I don’t know to whom Myles was first married, and I have not searched very hard, as I think it is doubtful that he is the Myles who owned a house in Glendree. For anyone interested in Myles, here is the record of his second marriage: 26.05.1877: Miles McNamara, widower, Clouney, Labourer, son of Michael McNamara, deceased, Farmer, married Bridget Connell, widow, Clouney, daughter of John Digaden, deceased, in ? chapel, Ennis; witnesses: Denis Hinchy, Bridget Lyons (registered in Ennis).

*Bridget Powell (witness at the marriage of Catherine McNamara and Stephen McNamara 1872) may have been known also as Bridget Kilfoyle - the name Kilfoyle, or Guilfoyle is the same name as Powell. The Kilfoyles, who are tenants in Uggoon at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, are called Powell by the end of the century.
The 1921 Rate Book for Glendree DED (which includes Uggoon) shows that the land, which had been held by the Kilfoyles, was now owned by the Cooneys. This came about when Denis Cooney married Mary Powell in 1876: Denis Cooney, Glendree, Farmer, son of James Cooney, married Mary Powell, Uggoon, daughter of Daniel Powell, on 13.02.1876, in Drumcharley chapel; witnesses: Patt Moloney, Anne McNamara.
Some of the births to this couple are recorded in Tulla baptisms 1862-1875:
02.06.1877: Johanna of Denis Cooney and Maria Powell, Uggoon; sponsors: Patrick Molony, Honora McNamara.
21.09.1878: Mary of Denis Cooney and Maria Powell, Uggoon; sponsors: John Cooney, Honora Meally.
24.04.1880: Mary of Denis Cooney and Maria Powel, Uggoon; sponsors: Michael Cooney, Mary Rodgers.
There were more births to this couple after 1880, and some of the children are included in Tom McDowell’s list of emigrants from Tulla parish.

The previous year, on 31.01.1875, a Patrick McNamara, from Feakle, had married Honora Powell, Uggoon (witnesses: Michael Larkin, Maria Powell). I failed to find the civil record of this marriage, but it is recorded in Tulla marriages 1862-1881. Some births to this couple are recorded in Feakle Lower baptism and the civil records of some more births show that they lived in the townland of Ayle Upper:
24.11.1875: Mary of Patrick McNamara and Honoria Powell; sponsors: Michael McNamara, Mary Purcell.
29.01.1877: Mary of Patk McNamara and Honoria Powell; sponsors: John Morrissey, Ellen McDole.
30.11.1878: Catherine of Patk McNamara and Honoria Powell; sponsor: Anne McNamara.
Birth record: 23.06.1895: Eliza McNamara to Patrick McNamara and Honora Guilfoyle, Ayle.
Birth record: 20.09.1892: Hanora McNamara to Patrick McNamara and Hanora Kilafoyle, Ayle.

1901 census for Ayle Upper (Ayle DED): Patrick McNamara, aged 48, Norah aged 46, Annie, aged 19, Katie aged 13, James aged 11, Lizzie aged 5.
1911 census: Katie aged 23, James aged 21, Nora aged 18, Lizzie aged 15.

So, although the Kilfoyles would seem to have disappeared from Uggoon by 1901, they had not disappeared and had left plenty of descendants.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 am

I see now, in Quin-Clooney marriages 1855-1881, that Miles McNamara, from Glandree, married Margaret Fitzgerald, Feighbeg, on 19.02.1868; witnesses: Rodger Daly, Margaret Halpin. I will need to send for the civil record of the marriage in order to find the name of Miles’s father.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks. I have saved a few follow-up points on Michael Jones for another day. I am finding Miles McNamara that you've mentioned the more interesting story.

The Miles McNamara who married on 19 February 1868 to Margaret Fitzgerald (father James Fitzgerald) in Clooney was the son of Michael McNamara (according to an index on ancestry.com). This must be the same Miles McNamara (a widower) who married the widow Bridget O’Connell nee Digidan on 26 May 1877. I suspect that the three grandchildren with ages from 10 to 16 years old in the 1901 Census, are descended from the children of Bridget Digaden O'Connell's first marriage.

Myles McNamara was age 75 in 1901 and age 85 in 1911 per the Irish Census. What would account for his late marriage in 1868 at the age of about 42? In the Irish census for 1901 it doesn't just state that he was a "Shepherd" but also that he was a "Pensioner Royal Horse Artillery". In the 1911 Census, it just states "Pensioner".

Miles McNamara at the age of 20 on the 3rd of September 1847 attested in Limerick for the Madras Artillery Regiment. His trade was a labourer and he was born near the town of Tulla in the Parish of Tulla in the County of Clare. Miles McNamara would spend 20 years and 43 days in India out of a total period of service of 20 years and 111 days. At his discharge at Bangalore on 22 December 1865, the regimental board stated that "his conduct had been very good". He was in possession of three good conduct badges, an Indian medal, and Clash (sp?) for Central India. His intended place of future residence was Tulla, Clare, Ireland. (source: Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records on Fold3.com).

Not sure who this Miles McNamara, son of Michael McNamara, could be? Is he the son of Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack? Or the son of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara? Or the son of Michael McNamara and Mary O'Dea? Or Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham? All these Michael McNamara's are from Glandree and having children during this time period. At the 1828 baptism of a child of Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham, one sponsor was a Miles McNamara.

We will not find Miles in the Tulla baptism register as I've only now just noticed that the May 1826 baptism page is followed by the page for June 1827. So the Tulla baptism register is also missing June 1826 through May 1827 (this is in addition to the missing pages for March 1822 through August 1825; May through July 1841; and January through March 1843).

With Margaret Halpin (wife of Michael McNamara) being the witness at the 1868 marriage of Miles; and Anne Halpin McNamara (widow of Matthew McNamara) living in House #48 in 1901 that was owned by Miles, you would think there might be a connection to the Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara family. Similar to the name Andrew, Miles was not that common of a name for McNamara families and used three other times per the baptism register for 1819 to 1846:

1820, to James McNamara and Catherine Meany
1831, to Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara
1839, to Patrick McNamara and Anne Cooney

Perhaps the above three fathers of a son named Miles were brothers to the unknown Michael McNamara, father of Miles born in 1826/1827?

An 88 year old Myles McNamara died in the fourth quarter of 1914 and reported in the Ennis registration district. If the informant on the death record is a brother or nephew and not his wife, this might provide some clues to his identity.

When the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree went missing in the American Civil War, Miles McNamara of Glandree had already spent nearly two decades fighting in India.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:33 am

Hi Jim

Excellent work! Your eyesight is good – I could not read that bit about the Royal Horse Artillery in the 1901 census. That occupation makes a bit of a change from the usual Farming and Labouring. Yes, Myles died in 1914: 22.09.1914: Myles McNamara, at Clarecastle, aged 88, married, Pensioner; informant: Bridget Reddan, Clarecastle.
The 1901 census for Claretown (Clarecastle Village), (Clareabbey DED), shows James Reddan, aged 58, and Bridget aged 43, and 8 children. The 1911 census shows that James had died. What can life have been like for a widow with so many young children, in those pre-widows pension years.

And you are right when you say that the grandchildren of Myles, shown living in Corbally in 1901, may belong to Myle’s wife, Bridget Connell – at least Delia Reddan, aged 16, does. Here is the civil record of the marriage, in 1880, of James Reddan and Bridget Connell: James Reddan, Clare Castle, son of James Reddan, married Bridget Connel, Clare Castle, Servant, daughter of Daniel Connell, dead, in Ennis chapel; witnesses: James Morrissey, Kate Molony.

Yes, if Myles’s age at death is correct, and he was born about 1826, then the record of his baptism is probably in one of the pages lost from the Tulla parish register. But it’s a help to know that his father was Michael* as this narrows down the possibilities somewhat. I hadn’t noticed that Margaret Halpin was a witness at his marriage in 1868. If Margaret is the Margaret Halpin who was married to Michael McNamara, in Glendree, she was from Balouchtra, and Anne (who was living in Myle’s house in 1901) was also from Balouchtra – a daughter of James Halpin. As you have mentioned previously, they may be sisters – it’s looking more and more like that.
*I had forgotten again that I could find Myles’s father in the record of his marriage on familysearch.org. I had just found it l when I saw your posting – giving that information and so much more.

We are no nearer to finding Thomas who went missing in the American Civil War, but you have found another interesting slice of history here.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 am

Hi Jim, again

I’ve been looking at Daniel Scanlan, aged 10 (16?), living in Corbally in 1901 and described as grandson of Myles McNamara. I haven’t found who his parents are, but there may be a connection with a Patt Scanlan, from Creevagh, who married Jane McNamara in Clooney-Quin parish in 1860. That couple had a son Daniel born in 1865 (sponsors: James McGrath, Mary McGrath). Might Daniel (aged 10 in 1901) be a son of that Daniel? And could there be a connection between Jane McNamara and Myles? One problem that arises is that Jane's address at marriage is Caherlohan (in Clooney parish) and not Glendree.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:38 am

Miles McNamara of Glandree enlisted in Limerick with the Madras Royal Horse Artillery on 3 September 1847 and was discharged on 22 December 1865. This is a period of 18 years and 111 days. He would receive three "Good Conduct Badges" after 5, 10, and 15 years of service (without any misconduct) which included extra pay. Miles McNamara received a 2 year service bonus on 20 October 1859, so upon retirement he received a pension based upon 20 years and 111 days. This 2 years service bonus was awarded for the Royal Artillery's role in suppressing the Indian Mutiny of 1857 and 1858 (also known as the "Sepoy Mutiny"; and in India as the "First War of Independence"). The "Indian Medal" mentioned in his discharge report was the "Indian Mutiny Medal" for which five different "clasps" were awarded. Miles McNamara received the "Central India" clasp. During the 1857 Mutiny the Royal Artillery fought under Sir Hugh Rose, commander of the Central Indian Field Force, who secured the defeat of the Indian rebels at Jhansi in April 1858. Afterwards, Sir Hugh Rose would become Commander in Chief of British Forces in Ireland from 1865 to 1870 and was involved in suppressing the Fenian Uprising of 1867.

Here is a good explanation and photo of the Indian Mutiny Medal depicting a young Queen Victoria as well as the five different "clasps":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Mutiny_Medal

Upon further consideration of who the parents of Miles McNamara (father reported as "Michael") could be, I reckon most likely they were Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham. My reasoning is that this Michael McNamara appears to have had a brother named Miles who was a witness at his 1824 marriage and a sponsor at the baptism of a daughter in 1828.

In the 1827 Tithe Applotment Book for Glandree, a "Miles McNamara" is recorded. He is likely either the father of the below children or perhaps an elder son who appears several times in the Tulla marriage and baptism records as a witness and sponsor:

1.0 Miles McNamara (late 1790's or early 1800's ??- ??) does not appear as a groom in the Tulla marriage records, nor as a father in the baptism register. However, he does appear as a witness/sponsor as follows:
............ 1819, witness at marriage of James McNamara and Catherine Meany
............ 1824, witness at marriage of Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham
............ 1828, sponsor at baptism of daughter of Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham
............ 1836, sponsor at baptism of son of Pat McNamara and Nancy/Anne Cooney (this Miles could also be a 16 year old Miles born in 1820 to James McNamara and Catherine Meany)

2.0 James McNamara (1799 ?? - ??) of Glandree on 14 February 1819 married Catherine Meany (1799 ?? - ??) of Glandree (witnesses Miles McNamara, Michael Mealy, and Catherine Meany, all from Glandree)
............ 2.1 Miles McNamara (1820), sponsors Michael Meany, Margaret Pepper
............ 2.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
............ 2.2 Mary McNamara (1825), James and Bridget McGrath
............ 2.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)

3.0 Michael McNamara (1804 ?? - prior to 1868) of Glandree on 1 March 1824 married Mary Cunningham (1804 ?? - ??) of Glandree (witnesses Miles McNamara, Dennis Cunningham, and Michael McNamara, all from Glandree)
............ 3.1 Miles McNamara (1826 - 1914), baptism recorded in missing baptism page between June 1826 through May 1827 . Enlisted with the Madras Royal Horse Artillery in 1847 and served 18 years in India including action in the 1857 Indian Mutiny. Received a military pension. Married on 19 February 1868 to Margaret Fitzgerald (father James Fitzgerald) in Clooney. The widower Miles McNamara married the widow Bridget Connell (father John Digaden) from Clouney on 26 May 1877. <Corbally, Clooney, House 1; Quin Town, House 37>
............ 3.2 Margaret McNamara (1828), sponsors Miles McNamara, Mary Cunningham
............ 3.3 Thomas McNamara (1833), sponsor Andrew Gready
............ 3.4 Michael McNamara (1835), sponsors Patt Grady, Mary F(?)

4.0 Mary McNamara (1804 ?? - ) married Michael Kelly (1804 ?? - ??) on 30 May 1824 (no location or witnesses in register)
............ 4.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)
............ 4.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827)
............ 4.1 James Kelly (1829), sponsors Peter Lillis, Margaret Hawkins
............ 4.2 Bridget Kelly (1835), sponsors Stephen Cunningham, Mary Grady
............ 4.3 Miles Kelly (1841), sponsor Judy Kelly

Possible links to below Andrew McNamara and Pat McNamara families who both had sons named Miles, although not their first born son. Margaret Halpin McNamara, daughter-in-law of Andrew McNamara, was a witness at 1868 marriage of Miles McNamara. Another daughter-in-law, Ann Halpin McNamara was living in Glandree in 1901 Census in house owned by Miles McNamara of Quin.

5.0 Andrew McNamara (1790 - 1869, at age 80 in Uggoon ) and Bridget [Sheedy??] McNamara (1793 - 1883 in Uggoon)
....... see page 13 from complete Andrew McNamara family
............ 5.9 Miles McNamara (1831), sponsors Peter Lillis, Sally Cavana

6.0 Pat McNamara (1809 ?? - ??) married Nancy "Canney" (1809 ?? - ??) of Gurteenaneelig on 1 March 1829; witnesses Dennis Couney and Unknown Couney of Gurteenaneelig
............ 6.1 Pat McNamara (1831), mother "Nancy Canney", sponsor Nancy Murphy
............ 6.2 Patrick McNamara (1833), mother "Kate Couny", sponsors Pat Cunningham, Anne Couney
............ 6.3 Michael McNamara (1836), mother "Anne Couney", sponsors Miles McNamara, Honor Molony
............ 6.4 Miles McNamara (1839), mother "Ann Couny", sponsor Mary McGrath
............ 6.? missing baptism page (May through July 1841)
............ 6.? missing baptism page (January through March 1843)
............ 6.5 Anne McNamara (1844), mother "Nance Couny", sponsor Mary Conlan

Sheila, thanks for confirming that Delia Reddan, one of the three "grandchildren" living with Miles McNamara in 1901, was the grandchild of Bridget Digaden Connell. The Australian born grandchild was born "Richard Charles Taylor" on 26 October 1885 to parents Richard Taylor and Margaret Connell in Newtown, Sydney. Charles Taylor was living with Miles McNamara and his grandmother in the 1901 Census, as his widowed mother Margaret Connell Taylor had remarried George Smollett on 19 October 1892 in Lowell, Massachusetts. A family tree on ancestry.com picks up the family using Massachusetts records. Margaret Taylor appears to have also had a son Daniel Taylor, born 1890, who arrived in Boston on 17 June 1906 to live with his step-father. Margaret Connell and George Smollett would end up settling in Quincy, Norfolk County, Massachusetts and have five children together.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi Jim

You have done a lot of work on Miles McNamara, and it is interesting, but I don’t think it is a good idea to decide that all mentions of Miles McNamara are for one person. I suspect there may have been than one Miles McNamara in Glendree.

I have nothing major to contribute here, but you may be interested in this Thomas MacNamara who gives his occupation as Soldier at his marriage in 1869:
You may remember that Liscullane was the address for James Madigan and Mary McNamara at the baptism of their first child, James, in April 1861. I think the Madigans lived in Liscullane - for some time at least. Griffith’s Valuation shows Mary Madigan leasing plot 14Bc from Cornelius Halloran (a house and garden of 35 perches) – the 1921 Rate Book for Kyle DED shows the garden was now owned by Daniel Halloran.
Death records show the death, in Tulla Workhouse, in 1884, of Mary Madigan from Liscullane, aged 83, Labourer’s widow. It’s possible that this Mary is the mother of James Madigan.
I noted that Griffith’s Valuation also shows a Patrick McNamara, in Liscullaun, leasing a small house to Patrick Hynes (Lot 3c).

So when I saw the marriage of Thomas McNamara to Bridget Halloran, Liscolane, in 1869, in the Tulla marriages, I was curious and sent to G.R.O. for the record and have received it now:
14.11.1869: Thomas MacNamara, Liscolane, Soldier, son of Edward McNamara, married Bridget Halloran, Liscolane, daughter of Patrick Halloran; witnesses: Edmond Slattery, Ellen Carthy. So Thomas was not from Glendree.
Here is what I have found for him:
The Tulla baptisms 1819-1846 show the baptism, in 1838, of Thomas MacNamara* of Edmund MacNamara (Edward was often used for Edmund – both names were shortened to Ned) and Margaret Hanfy, Newgrove; sponsors; James Pepper, Cate Connors. There are two other baptisms for this couple:
Dec. 1841: Stephen of Edmond McNamara and Mary McNamara, Newgrove; sponsor: Bid Willes.
25.??. 1841/42: Bat(?) of Edmond McNamara and Margaret Hanafin; Margaret Loftis(Lillis?).
*This Thomas is No. 9 in your chart on page 1 of this thread (showing all the Thomases who are candidates for the Civil War Veteran).

I see no baptisms for Thomas McNamara and Bridget Halloran. They must have moved to another parish. Or did they emigrate? Death records show the death, in Tulla Workhouse, in 1900, of a Thomas McNamara from Kilgory, O’Callaghan’s Mills, Army Pensioner, aged 76. But he is too old to be the same Thomas

By the way - good work on Charles Taylor - especially finding that his mother went from Australia to America and had a second family there.

Sheila