Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi Jim

About the cousins, Delia and Mary, who are returning to US in 1907: Tom McDowell’s list of Tulla emigrants shows Delia and Mary - whereas in the Feakle list, shows Delia, only. On the Tulla list they are down to sail on SS Campania, on 28 Sept. 1907, going to Aunt Mrs. O’Donnell in New York, but they seem not to have taken that sailing. On that list, Mary’s age in 1907 is 34 (b. 1873). Delia’s age 23 (b. 1884).
The Feakle list shows just Delia, aged 23 (b. 1884), born in Feakle; father: Patrick McNamara, Derryfadda, sailing ?? ?? 1907 on SS Carmania, and going to Aunt, Mrs. O’Donnell, New York. She is clearly the same Delia as the Delia on the Tulla list. Tom McDowell gives Mary’s age in 1907 as 34 (b. 1873), whereas you give it as 24. Which is the correct age, I wonder? Jim, would it be possible for you to check the ship’s manifest again please?

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:44 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks your continued help and the nice summary on your first posting. I think you made one small mistake just to see if I was paying attention. First large paragraph (with no spacing), second to last sentence I believe either (a) "82" should be "52" or (b) "Kate McMahon" should be "Kate Foley".

Yes, after double checking the passenger listing Mary McNamara was indeed 24 in 1907. The two other nurses from County Clare, above and below her on the passenger listing, are 23 and the "2" is identical. Mary McNamara of Washington D.C. married Richard Bennett in 1913 and their last child was born around 1926 when she was about 44 years old (assuming birth in 1882).

I discovered that Mary McNamara and Kate McNamara had returned to Ireland based upon the Washington newspaper articles and checked ancestry.com directly without looking at Tom McDowell's listing which is only passengers to New York. Not sure if you noticed but several of the McNamara's of Washington D.C. (Sarah and Emily) would enter the United States via Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which is closer than New York. Boston was another port popular for Irish immigrants, but probably not for immigrants south of New York. Not sure why the 1907 listing for the SS Campania is not on FamilySearch as I would have otherwise provided a link.

Your comment on the more direct road between Glandree and Feakle was very interesting. I wonder when it was built? Andrew McNamara of Glandree in 1888 appears to have been assessed a levy which he and four others from Tulla (perhaps more on other pages) did not initially pay. Thus Andrew appears in the petty sessions for 1888 with the complaint by Richard R. Studdert (of Barony Court) of "That you owe the complainant one pound eight shilling and seven pence half penny due for cash paid for county cess for your use and benefit". Andrew McNamara of Glandree and Malachi Kelly of Cragg show up as "no appearance" so perhaps they never paid. While the other three have a Queen Victoria six pence Ireland petty sessions revenue stamp attached to the document. Upon looking at the records further, the "county cess" might be an annual assessment nothing to do with the roads? In 1886 there are similar complaints by Richard Studdert with only slightly different amounts against Matthew McNamara of Uggoon, Andrew McNamara of Glandree as well as others.

The reason why I considered that this levy might be related to road building was a separate complaint in 1888 by Michael McNamara of Glandree against James Liddy of Roslara: "That on the 10th July 1888 you did unlawfully prevent complainant from raising stones in a quarry on your land at Roslara for the use of the public road for which he is contractor at Roslara". Now I appreciate that Roslara is considerably south of where the road was being built, but there does appear to be road building or at least maintenance going on in 1888. Perhaps another look at the petty session register I might find a more specific reference to the new road between Glandree and Feakle.

Anyways, the new road allowing a more direct connection between Glandree and Feakle has created a genealogy road block for the descendants of McNamara's from Washington D.C. and other places. Based upon the passenger listings they appear to think they are from Feakle and not Glandree, Tulla. As if "McNamara" wasn't a big enough challenge already for a researcher without this location swap!

And I agree with you that Mary and Delia (from the 1907 Irish trip) as well as Mary and Sarah (from Mary's 1913 wedding) could be second cousins, but just call themselves "cousins". My own godfather is my father's third cousin, but he was just known as a "cousin". Their great grandfathers were two of four young brothers who with their widowed mother & uncle's family left Ireland in the 1840's to Ontario, Canada. Which is why I think we might find the missing McNamara families of Glandree in Canada. In the 1840's it was a popular destination for Irish immigrants as there was lots of land available and (I assume) it was cheaper than the United States during that time period. Unfortunately, the passengers listings to Canada during the 1840's are a challenge, but the 1851 Canada Census is very good.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 am

Hi Jim

Yes I did make a mistake – it should be Kate Foley - but not to test you! I don’t intend to make the search any more difficult than it already is!

Thanks for checking that record. I did not want to go ahead with looking at Mary and Delia without knowing Mary’s age. But now that I do know it, I am still hanging back, because “cousin” was not always first cousin.

I’m afraid I know very little about Cess and whether it covered the cost of roadbuilding. But I think I’ve discovered when that new road was built. I dug out the 2016 Slieve Aughty Journal (published by East Clare Heritage) and re-read a very interesting article by Gerard Madden, “Roads in the Sliabh Aughty Mountains” (p 46). His main aim is to show that the “spider’s web” of roads* that we see now, is not, in the main, due to road-building during the Great Famine, but rather to the large amount of money invested in road-building between 1827 and 1847 (A 1826 map shows the almost total absence of roads in the interior of the Sliabh Aughties at that time). We know from the 1842 map (upon which Griffith’s map is based), that the road from Glendree to Feakle, which goes through plot 24, did not exist when that map was being made, and so it is not one of the roads built before the Famine. But, luckily, Madden mentions it in the course of writing about Edward Russell, who was appointed Assistant Engineer in the Office of Public Works in 1836. He held this post until 1856 (only some of that time in Clare), and Madden says, “In 1846, he was the engineer on a new road from Feakle to Glandree cross and on the school road from Bodyke to Broadford”. I imagine it took a long number of years to build a road in the mid eighties – it still does.
*Of these roads, Madden says, ”Many are fair, most are bad, and some, as the poet Padraig Colum noted in An Old Woman of the Roads, are neither graced “by house or bush” but only by “the crying wind and the lonesome hush””.

If you do a virtual drive along that road from Glendree cross (a red car is coming towards you) you will be surprised at how very soon you come to the stone at the side of the road that says you are coming into Feakle. Just before that stone is a lovely little stone bridge, probably the original, over an unnamed river*, which marks the boundary between the two parishes.
*A tributary of the Maherabaun River, which, in turn, is a tributary of the Ayle River.

I’ve been looking at the marriage of Catherine McNamara, Glendree, to Stephen McNamara, Ayle, on 18 Feb. 1872, just to see if it will deliver up anything to help with our search, but getting nothing much. Catherine is the daughter of Daniel McNamara (deceased); Stephen, a widower, is son of Daniel McNamara (deceased). They were married in Tulla chapel; witnesses: Michael Murphy, Bridget Powell.
Stephen is probably the Stephen McNamara who is leasing plot 13c in Ayle, Upper in Griffiths. There is one baptism recorded for Stephen and Catherine: Feakle Lower Baptisms: 14.12.1874: Bridget of Stephen McNamara and Catherine MacNamara; sponsor: Mary Murphy.
Stephen died in 1879: Stephen McNamara, Ayle, aged 60, married, Farmer; informant: James McNamara, Ayle. I think this James was James McNamara, Ayle Upper, who was married to Margaret Rodgers. Unfortunately, I have failed to find a record of Catherine's death. I would have liked to know when she was born.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for that information on the road built between Glandree and Feakle. And I did find the stone tablet marking the entrance to Feakle - you provided very good directions. So this road was not on the 1842 map, but built by Edward Russell (Assistant Engineer) in 1846 during the Great Famine. You previously mentioned the "Feakle Road" on page 1. Is this the same road?
“Lower Canada” was a local name for a place in Tulla, but here the name refers to the Wydham scheme for the resettlement of his tenants in Canada, and has no connection to the Fenians - I got this bit of info from Gerard Madden’s book, ‘The Annals of the Poor’ (Gerard Madden, East Clare Heritage, 2017), pg. 67, where Madden explains that, although the resettlement scheme had finished up in 1843, some families, as late as 1848, were still clinging to the expectation that they would be accommodated in Canada or elsewhere. Finally, it seems, they took the few pounds quit money and ended up in abject poverty along the bottoms of Knockderra. He says, “This area on the Feakle road soon became known as Lower Canada”.
I updated the descendants of Pat McNamara and Catherine Corry. A strong indicator that this couple is indeed the correct Patrick and Catherine McNamara who lived at House 5 in the 1901 Census, is the 1852 baptism of daughter Anne where the location is reported as "Kirane". You stated previously that "the civil record in the birth of John Jones on 13.03.1874 to Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson gives the address as Keraun". Since Michael Jones would be a nephew of Patrick McNamara and share Plot 3, this shows a strong link between the families. Also, Michael Jones is a sponsor at the baptism of Ellen McNamara in 1863.

Pat McNamara and Catherine Corry appear to have had nine children over a two decade period, including twins. I'll have a look to see if any of their children ended up in America another day as only their son Michael has been found in the 1901 census. The children of Pat's brothers Thomas McNamara (shared Plot 3) and James McNamara ended up in New York City and newly discovered grandchildren of Kate McNamara and Michael Jones ended up in Lowell, Massachusetts and Chicago, Illinois. See detail below, but in summary: all eight daughters of Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson ended up in Lowell, two sons in Chicago, and only eldest son John Jones remained in Glendree at Plot 3. The passenger listings all state "Feakle" as birth place and not Glandree. Perhaps we will find the other children of Pat McNamara and Catherine Corry in one of these same American cities.

Sheila, most certainly the eight Jones sisters would have known your three Mealey sisters of Lowell that we researched previously. No doubt they saw each other every Sunday at St. Patrick's Church in Lowell.

4.0 Pat McNamara (1810 - 1901) married Catherine Corry (1820 - 1905) <House 5, x>,

Marriage is not in the Tulla marriage register perhaps in parish where Catherine Corry was born; most likely around 1840 or 1841 based upon birth of first child.
............ 4.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 4.1 Mary McNamara (1843), mother "K Coree"
............ 4.2 Michael McNamara (1845/1846 unknown baptism, died in 1929 at age of 84) at about 50 years old married Mary Nash (age 39 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.2.1 Patrick McNamara (age 14 in 1911) <House 28, House 32, with uncle Richard Nash>
......................... 4.2.2 Richard McNamara (age 14 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.2.3 Kate McNamara (age 12 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.2.4 Michael McNamara (age 10 in 1911) <House 5, House 41>
......................... 4.2.5 John McNamara (age 8 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.2.6 Mary Ellen McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.2.7 James McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 41>
......................... 4.2.8 Thomas McNamara (age 1 in 1911) <x, House 41>
............ 4.3 Bridget McNamara (10 December 1849), mother "Bridget McNamara" a probable error by priest. Bridget married in 1871 to William Hassett (died 1874, age 35) of Cragroe. <Cragroe, House 3, House 5>
......................... 4.3.1 Sarah Hassett (1871-1965 in NY) arrived in NY on SS Germanic in 1894. Married Martin Corrigan in Brooklyn in 1898. Seven children.
......................... 4.3.2 Patrick Hassett (1873)
......................... 4.3.3 John Hassett (1874)
................... Marriage of Bridget Hassett (alias Mack) in 1875 to Pat Connors (later "O'Connor") <Cragroe, House 3, House 5>
......................... 4.3.4 Margaret Connors (1876) <Cragroe, House 3, x> to sister Mrs. Corrigan, 246 East 46th Street, NY in Sept. 1901.
......................... 4.3.5 Catherine Connors (1878) married in 1905 to Daniel Minogue <Cragroe, House 3, x>
......................................... 4.3.5.1 Patrick Minogue (1905) <Cragroe, x, House 5>
......................... 4.3.6 Michael Connors (1880) <Cragroe, House 3, x> to sister Mrs. Corrigan, 246 East 46th Street, NY in Sept. 1901.
......................... 4.3.7 John Connors (1883?) married in 1920 to Julia Hobbins of Clondanna at Drumcharley chapel <Cragroe, House 3, House 5>
......................... 4.3.8 Martin Connors (1884) <Cragroe, House 3, x> to sister Mrs. Margaret Byers (sp?), 46 East 73rd Street, NY in 1907.
......................... 4.3.9 Bridget "Delia" Hassett (1890) <Cragroe, House 3, x> to sister Mary O’Connor, 331 East 33rd Street, NY in 1908.
......................... 4.3.? Patrick Connors (?) to sister Mary O’Connor, 331 East 33rd Street, NY in 1908
............ 4.4 Anne McNamara (1852), mother "Catherine Corey", location "Kirane"
............ 4.5 Catherine McNamara (1854), mother "Catherine Corry"
............ 4.6 Pat McNamara (1856), mother "Catherine Cooney" - need to check original register
............ 4.7 Margaret McNamara (1858), twins, mother "Catherine Coree"
............ 4.8 Thomas McNamara (1858), twins, mother "Catherine Coree"
............ 4.9 Ellen McNamara (1863), mother "Catherine Carr?", sponsors Michael Jones and Nancy McNamara

5.0 Kate McNamara (1816 - 1896*) and Dennis McNamara, then Michael Jones (1816 ? - after 1889)
* Death record informant in 1896 was her brother Thomas McNamara (7.0)

............ 5.1 Johanna McNamara (1838) - see Previous footnote on prior tree (SPECULATION)
............ 5.2 Michael Jones (1842 - 1889) and Margaret Nelson (1846 - 11 May 1893, age 47)
......................... 5.2.1 Mary Jones (1872), married Gilbert W. Sheridan on 2 September 1903 in Lowell, MA. Mary was contact for other siblings arriving in Boston.
......................... 5.2.2 John Jones (1874 - 1948) married to Mary Donnellan of Leihart, Kilclaran on 29 February 1916 <House 2, House 24>,
......................... 5.2.3 Catherine Jones (1875), on SS Pavonia arriving in Boston on 18 August 1895 to sister Mary Jones of Lowell; from Feakle. Cook at Lowell General Hospital in 1910 Census.
......................... 5.2.4 Martin Jones (1876) <House 2, x>, (1) on SS Majestic arriving in NY on 6 June 1901 to sister Anne of Lowell; from Feakle (2) on SS Cymric arriving in Boston on 6 September 1907 to sister Mrs. (Mary) Sheridan of 853 Central Street, Lowell; from "Yearkle". WWII Rego living at 7254 South Marshfield Avenue, Chicago - same city as brother Thomas.
......................... 5.2.5 Anne Jones (1878), on SS Pavonia arriving in Boston on 7 June 1896 to sister Mary Jones of Lowell, MA; married John O'Loughlin on 14 February 1900 in Lowell, MA.
......................... 5.2.6 Margaret Jones (1879 - 1914, Lowell), ward maid at Lowell General Hospital in 1910 Census; arrival in U.S. in 1899. Buried at St. Patrick's Cemetery, Lowell.
......................... 5.2.7 Nora Jones (1883), married Patrick J. Keane on 27 April 1910 at St. Patrick's Church in Lowell, MA.
......................... 5.2.8 Bridget Jones (age 18 in 1901) <House 2, x>, married James O'Rourke on 19 July 1915 in Lowell, MA.
......................... 5.2.9 Helena "Lena" Jones (age 17 in 1901) <House 2, House 24>, (1) on SS Cretic arriving in Boston on 22 October 1904 to sister Kate Jones of Lowell General Hospital; from Feakle (2) on SS Cymric arriving in Boston on 5 May 1911 to sister Mrs. Sheridan of Lowell; from Feakle.
......................... 5.2.10 Thomas Jones (age 14 in 1901) <House 2, x>. Died in Chicago on 20 September 1941; parents Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson; wife Susan T. Jones.
......................... 5.2.11 Elizabeth "Lizzie" Jones (age 12 in 1901) <House 2, House 24>, on SS Cymric arriving in Boston on 5 May 1911 to sister Mrs. Sheridan of Lowell, MA; from Feakle.

Note on sources: Massachusetts marriage registry includes names of parents (Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson).

Edits: found missing 11th child as "Nora Jones"; corrected first trip by Lena Jones; updated Jones information from Sheila; added Bridget McNamara as daughter of Pat McNamara and Catherine Corry. Included descendants of Bridget McNamara born 1849.
Last edited by Jimbo on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:27 am

Hi Jim

I’m afraid I don’t know which road Gerard Madden was referring to – I’ve looked for Knockderra, which seems to be an “unofficial” townland, but have failed, so far, to find it. But I don’t think it was on the new road, which was only commissioned in 1846 and probably didn’t get started for some time.

That is really great work you have done on the children of Michael Jones and Margaret Nelson. You have accounted for each and every one. The only tiny quibble I have is the decision to turn Margaret into “Nora”. I think this is a bit unlikely. Might not Nora be the Unknown Child?
About Kirane/Kerrane, where the Joneses lived: both the 1842 1 inch map and the later 25 inch map show Kerraun Fort at the North East of Glendree. I only recently noticed it. The satellite view shows that the fort is still there.

And yes, since we have found a home for Kate Foley (I do hope we are right!), it is more likely that Kate, who is in House 5 in 1901 and who died in 1905, is Kate Corry.

Yesterday I received the marriage record I’d sent for: it shows that Richard Nash, Glendree, son of Richard Nash, married Mary McNamara, Glendree, daughter of Andrew McNamara, in Tulla chapel, on 16 Jan. 1865; witnesses; Michael Noonan, Anne O’Hara. I think the Glendree address shows that you were right in saying that Mary is a daughter of Andrew McNamara and Mary Clancy.
Andrew McNamara and Mary Clancy also had a son called Andrew. He married Margaret McEvoy in 1861. You will remember that I put forward a theory (on pg. 6) that he was the Andrew who was witness at the marriage of Johanna (Mary?) McNamara and James Madigan the previous year (1860). Your reply was “Whoa!” and now this record of Andrew’s sister’s marriage to Richard Nash is another “Whoa”. So yet another theory debunked.

It’s possible that Andrew is a cousin, rather than a brother, of course. And of there are other Andrews about the place, who are candidates for the position of Witness. There’s the Andrew who was born in Uggoon, in 1835, to Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara – he would have been aged 25 at the time of that 1860 marriage. There’s also Andrew McNamara, who married Bridget Kerwick/Kerucan and lived in Tulla. He was born pre 1819, so would have been aged 41, but still unmarried in 1860 (he married Bridget in 1862). There’s also Andrew McNamara, who was born in 1843 to Martin McNamara and Bid Foley. He would have been 17 at the time of the marriage. But, as you probably will point out, none of these have a brother called Thomas. And the one thing we are sure of is that Mary Madigan had a brother called Thomas (the Civil War veteran). So, I suppose Andrew, the witness, must be a cousin rather than a brother.

There is another Andrew that I am wondering about: He is Andrew McNamara in Lahardaun, a townland in the south east of Tulla parish. Also spelled Laharden (Kyle D.E.D.)
1901: Bridget McNamara, aged 87, mother, and Andrew aged 55, Agriculural Labourer, brother (I don’t believe he is Bridget’s brother)
1911: Timothy McNamara, aged 69, single, and brother Andrew aged 72, single.

1918: Death: Andrew McNamara, Lahardin, Gardener, aged 80; informant: Thady McNamara, brother, present at death.
1921: Death: Timothy McNamara, Bachelor, aged 74, Farmer; informant: Pat Murphy, Lahardin.

There is no McNamara among the tenants in Lahardaun in Griffith’s Valuation. The 1921 Rate Book for Kyle shows that Thady McNamara’s house is a cottage provided by Tulla Rural District Council. It is on plot 11, which, at the time of Griffiths, was leased by Michael Murphy Sen.. Well, that’s all I have on that particular Andrew. I don’t know where he originated.

The upshot of finding all those Andrews is that knowing that the witness was Andrew is not much of a clue as to which McNamara family Mary Madigan belonged to, but one thing I am noticing, as I go along, is that the McNamaras, who shared plot 3 in Glendree, did not use the name Andrew.

Again Jim, congratulations on the work you have done on the Jones family. I see that Tom McDowell includes Martin in the Feakle list of emigrants – he had come through Ellis Island.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am

Hi Sheila,

The "Martin Jones" on the Tom McDowell listing who entered New York to visit his sister in Lowell was the clue that led me to the other sisters going to Lowell. And yes upon more research you are correct that Margaret and Nora are two individual sisters. Margaret Jones would work as a ward maid at Lowell General Hospital along with sister Kate; she died only in her 30's in 1912 and is buried in St. Patrick's Cemetery in Lowell. The Nora Jones who married Patrick Keane in 1910 was born in 1883 according to her headstone at St. Patrick's Cemetery. So all eight Jones sisters would go to Lowell, Massachusetts. I edited my last posting to make these corrections.

I also corrected the first trip by Lena Jones as previously had "on SS Cedric arriving in NY on 12 September 1904 to cousin Peter Smith of St Elizabeth, New Jersey; with Maggie Duggan also from Feakle." There were actually two Lena Jones living in Feakle/Glendree in the 1901 census (Sena in Glendree is a mistake in transcription by NLI). The Lena Jones who arrived in New York must be the other Lena. Lena Jones of Glendree Feakle was not on the SS Cedric, but the SS Cretic arriving in Boston on 22 October 1904 with a contact as Kate Jones of Lowell General Hospital. Hospitals certainly provided a lot of work for Tulla immigrants during this period in both Washington D.C. and Lowell.

Massachusetts records are very good, but I had hoped that the oldest sister Mary Jones and first to arrive in Lowell would provide a distant relative as contact, but I could not find her in the passenger listings. Why did Mary Jones from Glandree go to Lowell? Perhaps she had no relatives but went along with friends from County Clare as it appears to have been a popular destination in the last decade of the 19th century and early decades of the 20th century.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi Jim,

Good work again. Those sisters were probably closer to each other in Lowell than they would have been if they had remained in Clare where marriages would have scattered them.
“Clearing the house”, as it was rather heartlessly called, greatly increased the chances of the son at home finding a marriage partner. On 29.02. 1916, John Jones, Glendree, son of Michael Jones, married Mary Donnellan, Leihart, Kilclaran, daughter of Pat Donnellan, in Feakle Church; witnesses: Thomas Nelson, Delia Moroney.
Death: John Jones, Glandree, Caher, Feakle, married, died in 1948, aged 74; informant Paddy Jones, son.

By the way, Michael Jones’s wife, Margaret Nelson, died (a widow), 11.05.1893, aged 47; informant: John Jones, son of deceased, Glendree.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 am

In my posting (at the bottom of pg 12) on Bridget McNamara, daughter of Patrick McNamara, Glendree, who married William Hassett in 1871, I noted the baptisms of three of their children:
09.12.1871: Sarah Hassett; sponsors: Patrick White, Catherine Mack
11.02.1873: Patrick Hassett; sponsors: Margaret Hawkins, Patrick McNamara.
24.06.1874: John Hassett; sponsors: John McNamara, Ellen McNamara.
And I said that I’d failed to find any further record for these children. But I have found an entry for Sarah in Tom McDowell’s list of Tulla emigrants: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... grants.htm. She is Sarah Corrigan, a US citizen, who was returning to her husband, 294, East 116th Street, New York, in 1902, along with her children, May and Nellie. She gives her age as 24 (b. 1878), which is 7 years out from the birthyear of Sarah Hassett. My reason for believing that Sarah Corrigan is Sarah Hassett is that Bridget McNamara was married secondly to Patrick O’Connor in 1875 (William Hassett had died in 1874), and two of their children, Margaret O’Connor and Michael O’Connor, who emigrated in Sept. 1901, give their contact in the US as their sister, Mrs. Corrigan, 246, East 46th Street, New York.

Sheila

P.S. I searched for Sarah on familysearch. org and found that her husband was Martin Corrigan. There are some records of the births of their children, one for a William born in 1901, which make me think that "Nellie" may be "Willie".

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thanks very much for the added information on the Jones family which I've updated in the family tree on my previous posting. So when Kate McNamara Jones died in 1896 at the age of 80, her brother Thomas McNamara was the informant on her death record since both her son Michael Jones (in 1889) and daughter-in-law Margaret Nelson Jones (in 1893) had died before her.

The Bridget McNamara who married William Hassett in 1871 is most likely the daughter of Patrick McNamara and Catherine Corry. The McNamara sponsors at the baptisms of Bridget and William Hassett's children are siblings of Bridget: Catherine (born 1854), Patrick (born 1856), and Ellen (born 1863), except for the John McNamara who could be a cousin. In the Tulla baptism register is the 10 December 1849 baptism of "Bridget McNamara" daughter of "Pat McNamara" and "Bridget McNamara"; no location; sponsor Margaret McNamara. I believe this is another example of the priest making a mistake with the mother's name; this time by repeating the name of the child for the mother. There is no "Bridget McNamara" married to a "Pat McNamara" anywhere else in the baptism/marriage records.

Bridget McNamara married William Hassett in February 1871 at the age of 19. If born in December 1849 she would have been 21, a difference of 2 years. We've not discussed the accuracy of the ages on marriage records, but the difference is fairly minor. Perhaps Bridget's age is provided at her 1875 marriage to Pat Connors or else her death record which would reflect her birth in 1849.

"Martin Carrigan" (age 50) and "Sabra Carrigan" (age 48) appear in the 1920 New York Census living on 39th Street with seven children. You are correct that the two oldest children are Mary (age 20) and William (age 18) who both went to Ireland with their mother. Sarah Corrigan reports her immigration year in the 1920 Census as having arrived in 1894. Sarah Hassett, age 18, arrived in New York with the SS Germanic on 7 September 1894 (no contact details provided with this passenger listing). Sarah Hassett married Martin Corrigan at St Paul's Catholic Church in Brooklyn in June 1898; witnesses James Corrigan and M Gannon. Sarah lived to be 92 years old and died in Bay Shore, Suffolk, New York in 1965.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:15 am

Hi Jim

I think you are probably right in saying that Bridget McNamara (wife of William Hassett and then Patrick O’Connor) is a daughter of Patrick McNamara and Catherine Corry and you are probably right in saying that the 1849 baptism entry for Bridget McNamara of Patrick McNamara and Bridget McNamara is for her. The record of her marriage to Patrick O’Connor does not give her age, but her age in 1901 (49) and again in 1911 (61) point to an 1849 birth. I failed to find a record of her death. Good work finding Sarah’s marriage and her death. She lived to be a great age indeed.

Here is another family of interest: Martin Corry/Curry, Doonane (a townland in Tulla parish) and his wife Bridget McNamara and their children. It is Bridget, rather than Martin, who is of interest, because in two of the baptisms she is given as Bridget Sheedy. The civil record of the birth of Edmund gives Bridget’s surname as McNamara. I've so far failed to find a record (either church, or civil) of the marriage of Bridget Sheedy McNamara, but will make further efforts. It would be interesting to see who her father is.

Here are all the baptisms:
04.08.1869: Edmond Curry of Martin Curry, Doonane, and Honor Sheedy; sponsors: James Donoghue, Kate Donoghue
07.09.1870: Mary Corry, of Martin Corry, Doonane and Honora Mack; sponsors: Edmond Corry, Kate Donohue.
23.12.1871: John Corry of Martin Corry and Honora Sheedy; sponsors: Edmund Corry, Catherine Donohoe.
22.02.1873: James of Martin Corry, and Honora McNamara, Doonane, Thomas Sheehan, Catherine Donohue.
15.10.1874: Martin of Martin Corry and Honora Mack, Doonane; sponsor: Kate O’Donohue.
29.07.1876: Michael Curry of Martin Curry, Doonane, and Honor McNamara; sponsors: Thomas White, Bridget Sullivan.
1878: Anne Corry of Martin Corry and Honora McNamara, Doonane; sponsor: Johanna Donohoe.

Honor died young:
11.04.1880: Death of Honor Curry, Doonane, aged 42, married, Farmer’s wife; informant: Martin Curry. If this age is correct, Honor was born about 1838.

Two of her children died young:
1891: Death of John Curry, Doonane, Bachelor, aged 19, Farmer’s son; informant: Martin Curry, father of deceased.
1900: Death of Martin Corry, Doonane, Bachelor, aged 24, Farmer’s son; informant James Corry, brother of deceased.

Martin Corry was married secondly to Anne Waters. They had twin boys:
11.00 pm, 12.11.1883: Birth of Patrick to Martin Curry and Anne Waters, Doonane
11.30 pm, 12.11.1883: Birth of Thomas to Martin Curry and Anne Waters, Doonane.

1901 Census, Doonane, Tulla DED: Martin Corry, aged 59, and wife Anne, aged 57, and children: Thomas aged 17, and Patrick aged 17. I think there was a double entry for Martin - that census also shows a Martin Corry in Tynedagh Lower (Newgrove DED) with son James, aged 27, and daughter Mary aged 29. These must be the children of Martin’s first marriage (to Honora).

In 1911 Anne Corry is living in Doonaun, aged 66, widow, and servant Henry Cloyd [Lloyd] aged 19, while her twin sons, Patrick and Thomas, and her daughter Mary are living in Tyredagh Lower (Newgrove DED).

1920: Death of Anne Curry, Doonane, aged 76, Widow of a farmer; informant: Patrick Curry, son of deceased, Tyredagh.

It would seem that James Corry/Curry, b. 1873, and Mary, b. 1870, the son and daughter of Martin and Honor, had left Tulla by 1911.

I haven’t figured out which McNamara family Honor Sheedy McNamara belongs to. I notice that there is a marriage of an Honor Sheedy (Returns page 245) registered in Limerick Union in 1867, and also the marriage of a Martin Curry (Returns page 245) registered in Limerick Union in 1867. Limerick Union covers some of south east Clare. I will send for those records and hope that it’s just one record for Martin and Honora and that it will give the name of Honor’s father.

Sheila

P.S. I checked familysearch.org and found that marriage: Martin Curry married Honor Sheedy, in Limerick, on 16 Oct. 1867. Martin’s father is Peter Corry; Honor’s father is John Sheedy. They may not be our Martin and Honour of course - we need their addresses to settle that question so I’ve sent for the record - it will take a while to come.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your strong efforts in researching the Honora Sheedy who married Martin Curry of Doonane, Tulla. However, I reckon there will not be a close connection to the Sheedy McNamara's of Glandree. The Sheedy name does not appear to be specific to Glandree townland or even Tulla parish. From the Tulla baptism register (1819 - 1846) John Sheedy and Kate/Kitty Hynes had the following children:

(1) 1836, Michael Sheedy, in Cragroe, sponsors John Keeffe, Bridget Sheedy
(2) 1838, illegible first name Sheedy, no location, sponsors Denis Sheedy, Mary Quin
(3) 1845, Pat Sheedy, in Lacarue, Mary Corbett

The 1838 baptism is not legible but upon closer inspection I could somewhat work out an "H" for the first letter. But even if completely illegible, I reckon that this was the baptism of Honora Sheedy who was born in 1838 according to her 1880 death record. Not sure we'll find a connection of her father John Sheedy to the other Sheedy McNamara's of Glandree who I've summarized in the next posting.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 am

Hi Sheila,

I think we now both agree that the Glandree Plot 3 McNamara's (Patrick McNamara & Kate Corry; Kate McNamara & Michael Jones; Thomas McNamara & Bridget Hayes; as well as James McNamara & Anne Rodgers) who never used the name "Andrew" are separate from the Sheedy McNamara's of Glandree/Uggoon, although possibly cousins of some sort.

I'm getting confused just who is who as the information is scattered about in 100 different places, so I took on the challenge of summarizing the nine remaining McNamara families of Glandree who use the term "Sheedy" or are closely connected to these Sheedy McNamara families. I am not stating at all that the below families reflect a sibling relationship. Of the 9 families, 6 have specifically used the "Sheedy" name in some record. The remaining three have a strong connection to the other Sheedy families as sponsors at baptisms, in particular Bridget McNamara who married Andrew McNamara. While I believe that Bridget was a Sheedy McNamara, her children were not reported as Sheedy in any record. Martin McNamara and John McNamara were never reported using Sheedy; they could be a sibling of Bridget McNamara or else her husband Andrew McNamara or of neither. It is not conclusive. Having said that, to find the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree it is important to consider who were his cousins and where they lived when immigrating to North America.

Of these nine McNamara families of Glandree, only three have descendants reported in the 1901 Irish Census - highlighted in green below with the census years <1901, 1911>. The six families not recorded in the 1901 Irish Census are typically last heard from in late 1840's or 1850's. The exception would be Mary McNamara of Glandree who married James Madigan in 1860 and is the brother of the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara. Mary McNamara Madigan of Barnsley Yorkshire purchased two missing advertisements in 1869 and 1879 in search of her missing brother.

Two families, Michael McNamara & Bridget McNamara as well as John McNamara & Mary Kelly are still in the running to be the parents of the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree.

Summarizing these families might also help sort out the still open cousin relationships of Mary McNamara of Washington D.C. Also, when researching American records for the missing Civil War soldier, I may come across other McNamara's of Glandree who fought in the American Civil War. It is unlikely that Thomas McNamara was the only McNamara who fought in the Civil War from Glandree, especially when you look at how many McNamara men born in the 1830's and 1840's are unaccounted for in the below families.

1.0 Bridget [Sheedy??] McNamara (1793 - 1883 in Uggoon) and Andrew McNamara (1790 - 1869, at age 80 in Uggoon )

............ 1.? other baptisms prior to start of 1819 register
............ 1.1 Mary McNamara (1817 ?? - died before 1911) of Glandree married in February 1836 to Cornelius McGrath (died before 1901) of Liskennee <Ballyblood, House 21, x>
......................... 1.1.1 Patt McGrath (1836), eight children, <Ballyblood, House 21, House 14>
......................... 1.1.2 Dan McGrath (1839) (no research done on other McGrath's of Ballyblood)
......................... 1.1.3 James McGrath (1840)
......................... 1.1.4 John McGrath (1844)
......................... 1.1.5 Cornelius McGrath (1846)
......................... 1.1.6 Mary McGrath (1848)
......................... 1.1.7 Kate McGrath (1850)
......................... 1.1.8 Margaret McGrath (1852)
......................... 1.1.9 Michael McGrath (1853)
......................... 1.1.10 Michael McGrath (1858)
............ 1.2 John McNamara (1819), sponsor Andrew McNamara, most likely Andrew Sheedy McNamara
............ 1.3 Patrick McNamara (1820) EDIT: family of Pat McNamara and Kate Foley moved, see following postings.
............ 1.4 Catherine McNamara (1821), sponsor Michael McDole, married to Johanna Sheedy McNamara
............ 1.5 Matthew McNamara (1824* - 1894) married in January 1854 to Joanne "Susanna" O'Dea (1829 - prior to 1867) of Drumcharley
......................... 1.5.1 Laurence McNamara (1854)
......................... 1.5.2 Andrew McNamara (1856)
......................... 1.5.3 Mary McNamara (1858 - died prior to 1901) married in February 1878 to Michael Molony (1845 - after 1911) of Glandree. Michael Molony was a National School Teacher and author of the poem "The Hills of Sweet Glandree". <House 47, House 40>
......................................... 1.5.3.1 Elena Molony (age 21 in 1901) <House 47, x>
......................................... 1.5.3.2 James Molony (age 20 in 1901) <House 47, House 40>
......................................... 1.5.3.3 Nora Molony (age 11 in 1901) <House 47, x>
......................................... 1.5.3.4 Delia Molony (age 9 in 1901) <House 47, House 40>
......................................... 1.5.3.5 Annie M Molony (age 4 in 1901) <House 47, House 40>
......................... 1.5.4 Bridget McNamara (1860)
......................... 1.5.5 Michael McNamara (1862)
......................... 1.5.6 John McNamara (1863)
.................... Marriage in 1867 to Anne Halpin (1845 - after 1911) of Ballyoughtra <House 48, House 8>
......................... 1.5.7 Anne McNamara (1870) married in 1894 to John McMahon (of Gurtcummer) in Melbourne, Australia
......................... 1.5.8 Catherine McNamara (1872), moved to Australia
......................... 1.5.9 Margaret McNamara (1875)
......................... 1.5.10 Matthew McNamara (1875) <House 48, House 8> married on 10 October 1913 to Catherine McCarthy in Tulla Chapel
......................... 1.5.11 James McNamara (1879 - prior to 1888)
......................... 1.5.12 William McNamara (1882) <House 48, x> arrived in April 1904 in New York on SS Oceanic; contact: sister Margaret, 8th Street, Silvia (sp?) Cottage, Brooklyn.
......................... 1.5.13 John McNamara (1884) <House 36, x>
......................... 1.5.14 James McNamara (1888) <House 48, x> arrived in April 1910 in NY on SS Campania; contact: brother William McNamara 190 10th Avenue, NY.
............ 1.6 Michael McNamara (1825* - 1889, at age 64) married in January 1853 to Margaret Halpin (died 1884, at age 49) of Ballyoughtra [NOTE: Sheila NOT convinced that Michael is a son of Bridget McNamara and Andrew McNamara]
......................... 1.6.1 Mary McNamara (1853)
......................... 1.6.2 Margaret McNamara (1855)
......................... 1.6.3 Andrew McNamara (1857)
......................... 1.6.4 James McNamara (1858)
......................... 1.6.5 Bridget McNamara (1861)
......................... 1.6.6 John McNamara (1863) married in 1897 to Hanorah Corry (age 36 in 1911) of Derryfadda in Killanena chapel <House 30, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.1 Margaret McNamara (age 13 in 1911) <House 30, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.2 Mary McNamara (age 12 in 1911) <House 30, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.3 Bridget McNamara (age 10 in 1911) <House 30, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.4 Michael McNamara (age 9 in 1911) <x, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.5 William McNamara (age 7 in 1911) <x, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.6 John McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 28>
......................................... 1.6.6.7 Hanorah McNamara (age 1 in 1911) <x, House 28>
......................... 1.6.7 Anne McNamara (1865)
......................... 1.6.8 Michael McNamara (1867)
......................... 1.6.9 Catherine McNamara (1869) <House 30, x>
......................... 1.6.10 Ellen McNamara (1872)
......................... 1.6.11 William McNamara (1873)
............ 1.7 Andrew McNamara (1828 in Uggoon - prior to 1835), sponsor Michael Sheedy
............ 1.8 Stephen McNamara (1829 in Uggoon)
............ 1.9 Miles McNamara (1831 in Glandree)
............ 1.10 Bridget McNamara (1833 in Uggoon)
............ 1.11 Andrew McNamara (1835 in Uggoon)
............ 1.12 Johanna McNamara (1836 in Uggoon)

2.0 Thomas Sheedy McNamara (1800 ?? - ) and Margaret Hawkins (1801 ?? - )
............ 2.1 Thomas McNamara (1821)
............ 2.2 Margaret McNamara (1825)
............ 2.3 Mary McNamara (1828)
............ 2.4 Mary McNamara (1830)
............ 2.5 Judy McNamara (1832)
............ 2.6 Michael Sheedy (1833)
............ 2.7 William Sheedy (1833)
............ 2.8 Honora McNamara (1834)
............ 2.9 John McNamara (1840)

3.0 Johanna Sheedy McNamara (1801 ?? - ) and Michael McDole ( - )
............ 3.1 John MacDole (1821)
............ 3.? missing baptism pages (1823 - 1825)
............ 3.2 Michael Dole (1829)
............ 3.3 Pat McDole (1831)
............ 3.4 Anne McDole (1833)
............ 3.5 Eliza McDole (1837)
............ 3.6 Margaret McDole (1840)
............ 3.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 3.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 3.7 James McDole (1844)

4.0 Andrew Sheedy McNamara (1802 - 1867) married in 1824 to Margaret Clanchy (1798 - 1890)
............ 4.? missing baptism pages (1823 to 1825)
............ 4.1 Michael McNamara (1829)
............ 4.2 Mary/Marg Sheedy (1831)
............ 4.3 Andrew Sheedy (1833 - prior to 1841)
............ 4.4 Johanna Sheedy McNamara (1835 - 1899) married in February 1856 to Dennis Cooney (age 65 in 1901) <House 51, x>
......................... 4.4.1 Patrick Cooney (1857)
......................... 4.4.2 Bridget Cooney (1859)
......................... 4.4.3 Mary Cooney (1860)
......................... 4.4.4 Denis Cooney (1863) <House 51, House 33> and wife Catherine (age 43 in 1911)
......................................... 4.4.4.1 Mary Agnes Cooney (age 6 in 1911) <x, House 33>
......................................... 4.4.4.2 Delia Margaret Cooney (age 3 in 1911 <x, House 33>
......................................... 4.4.4.3 Denis Cooney (age 2 in 1911) <x, House 33>
......................... 4.4.5 James Cooney (1865) <House 51, House 33>
......................... 4.4.6 Margaret Cooney (1867)
......................... 4.4.7 Michael Cooney (1870)
......................... 4.4.8 Matthew Cooney (1872)
......................... 4.4.9 John Cooney (1874) <House 51, x>
......................... 4.4.10 Andrew Cooney (1876)
............ 4.5 Andrew Sheedy McNamara (1841/1842 - kicked by horse in 1904) married in 1861 to Margaret McEvoy (age 60 in 1901; died after 1911) <House 35, House 25>
......................... 4.5.1 Michael McNamara (1862 - April 1908) <House 35, x>
......................... 4.5.2 Daniel McNamara (1864) <in USA, House 25> with wife Mary (age 31 in 1911)
......................................... 4.5.2.1 Margaret McNamara (age 2 in 1911, born USA) <USA, House 25>
......................... 4.5.3 Patrick McNamara (1866 - August 1908)
......................... 4.5.4 Margaret McNamara (1869)
......................... 4.5.5 Andrew McNamara (1871) <House 35, x>
......................... 4.5.6 Mary McNamara (1874)
......................... 4.5.7 Patrick McNamara (1877) <House 35, x>
............ 4.6 Mary McNamara (1843* - after 1911) married in January 1865 to Richard Nash (age 70 in 1901; died prior to 1911) <House 28, House 32>
......................... 4.6.1 Michael Nash (1866)
......................... 4.6.2 Patrick Nash (1868)
......................... 4.6.3 Richard Nash (1869) <House 28, House 32>,
......................... 4.6.4 Mary Nash (1872), to NY in 1907 (mother Mary Nash of Tulla), sister Annie?
......................... 4.6.5 Margaret Nash (1875)
......................... 4.6.6 Catherine Nash (1878)
......................... 4.6.? Annie Nash (?), possibly living at 184 West 11th Street, New York in 1907?
............ 4.7 Patrick McNamara (1845 - after 1911) married Catherine O’Neil (1847 - 1872) of Scalpnagoon, daughter of Thomas O’Neil, on 27 Feb. 1870, in Crusheen Chapel. <House 26, House 15>
......................... 4.7.1 Mary McNamara (1871), sponsors Andrew McNamara and Mary McNamara
..................... Married Eleanora McMahon (age 47 in 1901) of Gortavrulla, daughter of John McMahon, in Feakle Chapel. <House 26, House 15>
......................... 4.7.2 Margaret McNamara (1875) <House 26, x>
......................... 4.7.3 Andrew McNamara (1877) <x, House 15>
......................... 4.7.4 Michael McNamara (1879) <x, House 15>
......................... 4.7.5 Anne McNamara (1882) <House 26, House 15>
......................... 4.7.6 John McNamara (1885) <House 26, House 15>
......................... 4.7.7 Patrick McNamara (1887) <House 26, House 15>
......................... 4.7.8 Matthew McNamara (1889) <House 26, x>
......................... 4.7.9 Ellen McNamara (1893) <House 26, x>
......................... 4.7.10 Dennis McNamara (?) <House 26, House 15>
......................... 4.7.11 Bridget "Delia" McNamara (1898) <House 26, House 15>

5.0 Patrick Sheedy McNamara (?? - ??) and Margaret Doyle
............ 5.? missing baptism page (1823-1825)
............ 5.1 Judy Sheedy (1828), sponsors Michael Doyle, Mary Enright
............ 5.2 Michael McNamara (1830), sponsors Martin Meany, Sally Cavanagh
............ 5.3 Margaret McNamara (1833), sponsors Hugh Doyle, Bridget Clanchy
...... marriage to Mary (Nory?) Molony?? [quite possibly a different Patrick McNamara]
............ 5.4 James Sheedy (1841/1842), mother reported as "Mary", sponsor Matthew McNamara
............ 5.5 Judy McNamara (1843), mother reported as "Nory", sponsor Biddy Molony
............ 5.6 Margaret McNamara (1847), mother reported as "Nory", sponsor Mary Morony
............ 5.7 John Sheedy (1853), mother reported as "Norry", sponsor Margaret Collins

6.0 Mary Sheedy McNamara (?? - ??) and Michael Molony (?? - ??)
............ 6.1 John Molony (17 May 1835), sponsors Pat Molony and Bridget Sheedy
............ 6.2 Margaret Molony (13 March 1837), sponsors "Michael and Bridget Sheedy"
............ 6.? missing baptism page (1841)

7.0 Michael Sheedy McNamara (1807 ?? - Unknown) and Bridget McNamara (1807 ?? - Unknown)
............ 7.? missing baptism period (March 1822 to August 1825)
............ 7.1 Pat McNamara (1827)
............ 7.2 Thomas McNamara (1829) - the missing Civil War soldier of Glandree??
............ 7.3 Martin McNamara (1830)
............ 7.4 Johanna McNamara (1832) - the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY??
............ 7.5 Michael McNamara (1835)
............ 7.6 Matt McNamara (1836)
............ 7.7 Matt McNamara (1838)
............ 7.8 Mary or Marg McNamara (1840) - married to James Madigan (witness Andrew McNamara), to Barnsley Yorkshire??
............ 7.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 7.9 James McNamara (1844)
............ 7.10 Bridget McNamara (1848)

8.0 John (Sheedy??) McNamara (1808 ?? - ??) and Mary Kelly (1808 ?? - prior to 1840)
............ 8.1 James McNamara (1828)
............ 8.2 John McNamara (1830)
............ 8.3 Thomas McNamara (1832) - the missing Civil War soldier of Glandree??
............ 8.4 Bridget McNamara (1834)
............ 8.5 Johanna McNamara (1835) - the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY??
... Marriage to Bridget Coffey
............ 8.6 Mary McNamara (1840) - married to James Madigan (witness Andrew McNamara), to Barnsley Yorkshire??
............ 8.7 Anne McNamara (1843)
............ 8.8 Pat McNamara (1845)
............ 8.9 Michael McNamara (1847)

9.0 Martin (Sheedy??) McNamara (1809 ?? - prior to 1856) and Bridget Foley (1809 ?? - Unknown)
............ 9.1 Mary McNamara (1829 - prior to 1860) married in 1853 to John Russell of Uggoon; witnesses Matthew McNamara and Judy McNamara (first cousins?) both of Uggoon [SPECULATION]
......................... 9.1.1 Bridget Russell (1854), sponsor Bridget McNamara (first cousin of Mary?)
......................... 9.1.2 Thomas Russell (1857), sponsors Laurence and Catherine McNamara (siblings of Mary?)
......................... 9.1.3 Sally Russell (1859), sponsors John McNamara (first cousin of Mary?), Nancy Russell
..................... Possible marriage of widower John Russell in October 1860 to Catherine Neil; witnesses John Lynch and Catherine McNamara
......................... 9.1.4 Pat Russell (1861)
............ 9.2 Laurence McNamara (1831-1922) and Honora Moloney (- prior 1901) <House 25, House 21>
......................... 9.2.1 Mary McNamara (1860)
......................... 9.2.2 Martin McNamara (1862)
......................... 9.2.3 Michael McNamara (1864) and Bridget (1877) <House 25, House 21>
......................................... 9.2.3.1 Nora McNamara (age 6 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 9.2.3.2 Lawrence McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 9.2.3.3 Kathleen McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 9.2.3.4 Mary McNamara (age 2 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................................... 9.2.3.5 Stephen McNamara (age 0 in 1911) <x, House 21>
......................... 9.2.4 Ellen McNamara (1867)
......................... 9.2.5 James McNamara (1870)
......................... 9.2.6 Honora McNamara (1872)
......................... 9.2.7 Honora McNamara (1876)
............ 9.3 Margaret McNamara (1834)
............ 9.4 Martin McNamara (1836)
............ 9.5 Catherine McNamara (1839 - after 1911) of Glandree married on 13 January 1860 to John Corbett (died prior to 1901) <Afflick House 10, House 9>
......................... 9.5.1 James Corbett (1863), sponsor his uncle Laurence McNamara
......................... 9.5.2 John Corbett (1865), to brother Patrick in NY in 1908 (mother Catherine of Tulla)
......................... 9.5.3 Patrick Corbett (1868), in 1924 applied for U.S. Passport to return to Ireland to visit his mother; he had been living in U.S. since 1888; with wife Susan (age 26 in 1900, Irish)
......................................... 9.5.3.1 John Corbett (age 23 in 1920) <402 Sackett Street, Brooklyn>
......................................... 9.5.3.2 James Corbett (age 21 in 1920) <402 Sackett Street, Brooklyn>
......................................... 9.5.3.3 William Corbett (age 18 in 1920) <402 Sackett Street, Brooklyn>
......................................... 9.5.3.4 Anna Corbett (age 16 in 1920) <402 Sackett Street, Brooklyn>
......................................... 9.5.3.5 Martin E. Corbett (age 10 in 1920) <402 Sackett Street, Brooklyn>
......................... 9.5.4 William Corbett (1872), living at Sackett St, Brooklyn in 1900 with brother Patrick; arrived in USA in 1894
......................... 9.5.5 Martin Corbett (1874) <Afflick House 10, House 9> with wife Mary (age 35 in 1911)
......................................... 9.5.5.1 Patrick Corbett (age 4 in 1911) <x, Afflick House 9>
......................................... 9.5.5.2 Kathleen Corbett (age 3 in 1911) <x, Afflick House 9>
......................................... 9.5.5.3 John Corbett (age 2 in 1911) <x, Afflick House 9>
......................................... Visitor, Frederick White (age 12 in 1911), born in USA, mother Ellen White on UK arrival passenger listing. Possibly Martin Corbett's first cousin Ellen McNamara (9.2.4 above) or sister of wife Mary?
............ 9.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 9.6 Margaret McNamara (1842)
............ 9.7 Andrew McNamara (1843)
............ 9.8 Michael McNamara (1846)

EDITS: moved family of Pat McNamara and Kate Foley from Pat McNamara (1.3) above. See explanations in my following postings. William and James, sons of Matthew McNamara and Anne Halpin: added trips to New York. Also, added first marriage of Patrick McNamara (4.7) and daughter.
Last edited by Jimbo on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Jim

Yes, it’s good to bring together what we have found. But it’s not good to add in stuff we have no evidence for:
1. We have no evidence that Bridget McNamara, who married Andrew McNamara, was a Sheedy McNamara.
2. We have no evidence that Joanna/Judy McNamara, who married Michael McDole, was a Sheedy McNamara.
3. We have no evidence that Mary McNamara, who married Michael Molony, was a Sheedy McNamara.
4. We have no evidence that Michael McNamara, who married Bridget McNamara, was a Sheedy McNamara.
5. We have no evidence that John McNamara, who married Mary Kelly, was a Sheedy McNamara.
6. We have no evidence that John McNamara, who married Bridget Coffey, was a Sheedy McNamara.
7. We have no evidence that Martin McNamara, who married Bridget Foley, was a Sheedy McNamara

About the children of Bridget McNamara (1793 – 1883) and Andrew McNamara (1790 – 1869):
1.We have no evidence to show that the Mary McNamara, who married Cornelius McGrath, of Liskenee, in 1836, is a daughter of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara. One of the witnesses is Andrew McNamara. I’m not sure that that is enough evidence.
2. John b. 1819
3. Patrick b. 1820: We do not know that this is Patrick McNamara who married Kate Foley.
4. Catherine b. 1821
5. Matthew b. abt 1824: Yes, there is no record of his baptism, but the record of his marriage to Anne Halpin (familysearch.org) shows that his father is Andrew, and land records and other records strongly suggest that he is a son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara.
6. We have no evidence that the Michael (abt 1825 – 1889) you have added to this family is a son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara. His first son is named Andrew. I don’t think that this is enough to make him a son of Andrew and Bridget.
7. Andrew b. 1828
8. Stephen b. 1829
9. Miles b. 1831
10. Bridget b. 1833
11. Andrew b. 1835
12. Johanna b. 1836

About the children of Martin McNamara and Bridget Foley:
1. Mary b. 1829. We have no evidence that this is the Mary McNamara who married John Russell in 1853.
2. Laurence b. 1831 married Honora Molony.
3. Margaret b. 1834
4. Martin b. 1836
5. Catherine b. 1839. We have no evidence that this is the Catherine McNamara who married John Corbett in 1860.
6. Margaret b. 1842
7. Andrew b. 1843
8. Michael b. 1846

About the Patrick McNamara and Norry Molony – I think this family should be treated as quite separate from the family of Patrick Sheedy McNamara and Margaret Doyle.
About John McNamara and Mary Kelly – I think this family should be treated as quite separate from the family of John McNamara and Bridget Coffee

These are the people I believe to be Sheedy McNamaras living in Glendree. This belief is based on the use of Sheedy and McNamara for the same person in the Tulla baptisms 1819-1846:
1. Andrew McNamara and Margaret Clancy and their descendants.
2. Patrick McNamara and Margaret Doyle and their descendants.
3. Patrick McNamara and Mary/Nory Molony and their descendants.
3. Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins and their descendants.

When I see the surname Sheedy on its own, I never assume that it has any connection with the surname McNamara, as Sheedy is a surname in its own right. It is only when I see Sheedy and McNamara used for the same person that I consider the person to be a Sheedy McNamara.

Sheila
P.S. Good work finding details on Thomas McNamara, the son of Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley, who emigrated to Washington D.C..

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi Jim

Here is a marriage of interest:
Marriage (familysearch.org): Patrick McNamara, born 1845, son of Andrew McNamara, to Catherine O’Neil, registered in Crusheen, Ennis Union, on 27 Feb. 1870.
Civil record: Patrick McNamara, aged 25, Glendree, Tulla, Farmer, son of Andrew McNamara, married Catherine O’Neil, aged 22, Scalpnagoon, daughter of Thomas O’Neil, on 27 Feb. 1870, in Crusheen chapel; witnesses: Patrick Molony, Catherine Keehan.

25 Feb. 1871: Birth: Mary McNamara, Glendree, to Patrick McNamara and Catherine O’Neil. The record of Mary’s baptism, in Tulla, gives the sponsors as Andrew McNamara, Mary McNamara.

Patrick’s birthyear, 1845, fits with “Pat Andy” in the baptismal records. We decided that Pat Andy was the son of Andrew McNamara and Margaret Clanchy who married Ellen McNamara in 1875 and, sure enough, when I checked the marriage record, Patrick is described as a widower: 08.02.1875: Patrick McNamara, Glandree, widower, son of Andrew McNamara, married Eleanora MacMahon, Gortavrulla, daughter of John McMahon, Farmer, in Feakle chapel; witnesses: John McGrath, Anne McMahon.

Jim, you may remember that we encountered the O’Neills in Scalpnagown previously – see page 7. You discovered that Judy O’Neill, the wife of Thomas McNamara (living Steuben in 1875), was at Scalpnagown for the birth of their daughter, Ann, in 1869. The record of Judy’s death showed that her parents were Michael O’Neill and Catherine Casey. I suspect that Judy is a cousin of Catherine. The notes at the end of the Ellen O’Neill letters* show that Catherine was Ellen’s sister. Catherine was born in 1847, married Patrick McNamara, and died in August 1872. Another sister, Mary, who had married John Malony, Lisofin, tells Ellen in her letter, written at Christmas 1873, “the saddest death of all was the death of our dear sister, Kate. She was buried a fortnight after Aunt Kitty. My sister was married three or four miles from me and was very comfortable, to a man named Patt McNamara. There is one little child after her, a daughter. She was 16 months old when her mother died. Her name is Mary Anne. Her husband did not get married since she died on her second child. She was a strong able young woman when it was God’s will to take her to Himself. She is buried in Tulla. My brother thought to take her to his own place but we would not let him. I like to have her buried near where I am living.”
*http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... etters.htm

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 am

Hi Sheila,

That is amazing to find a connection between Patrick McNamara and the O'Neill letter archive. What a tragic story especially how Mary relates to her sister in New York that she will never be the same again after the death of her sister in Clare and sought help from the priest and doctor. As I recall this family was split between Elmira, New York and Australia as an immigrant destination. Elmira certainly seems a popular destination for Tulla immigrants. The baptism of Mary McNamara in 1871 to Patrick McNamara and Catherine O'Neill has sponsors Andrew McNamara and Mary McNamara. Do you think these two sponsors might be the siblings of Patrick McNamara? Isn't it quite common in Ireland for the sponsors at baptisms, especially for a first born child, to be siblings of the parents?

Now about your feedback about the Sheedy McNamara families. I'm not sure if you've noticed but the priest occasionally used the Sheedy name for the sponsors at baptisms, and not just for the parents. Mary McNamara and Michael Molony had two children, at both of their baptisms the sponsor was a "Sheedy". This is evidence to me that Mary McNamara herself was a Sheedy. Now you might not agree with this conclusion, but to state that there is "no evidence" is incorrect.

At one of these baptisms, the sponsors were "Michael and Bridget Sheedy". Now, I cannot find another "Michael and Bridget Sheedy" in the sacramental records. Nor can I find another "Michael and Bridget McNamara" of Glandree other than the ones I have listed that had children from 1827 to 1848. This is the same timeframe as the baptisms of the Mary McNamara and Michael Molony children. Again, you might disagree with my conclusion, but this is evidence that the Michael McNamara married to Bridget McNamara was a Sheedy McNamara.

Similarly, the Bridget McNamara who married Andrew McNamara had several Sheedy sponsors at the baptisms of their children. Michael Sheedy in 1828. Andrew McNamara was a sponsor for their son John in 1819. There only appear to be two Andrew McNamara's in Glandree during this timeframe that would be a suitable age to be a sponsor. Bridget McNamara is married to one Andrew McNamara, and the other Andrew is Andrew Sheedy McNamara who would have been 17 years old at the 1819 baptism.

Many of the relationships that you question have similar evidence. I won't provide repetitive explanations, but here is one more example. The Catherine McNamara, born in 1839 to Martin McNamara and Bridget Foley, who I believe married John Corbett in 1860 (a perfect age for the bride), had Laurence McNamara as the sponsor at the baptism of their first child. Laurence McNamara is not a common name in Glandree, there are two: (1) the brother of Catherine McNamara born in 1839 and (2) the son of Matthew McNamara born in 1854 - too young to be a sponsor at a 1860 baptism. This provides evidence that the Catherine McNamara who married John Corbett is a sister of Laurence and thus the daughter of Martin McNamara and Bridget Foley.

What I found most interesting and challenging was your feedback that Patrick McNamara born in 1820 might not be the son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara with an 1820 baptism record. Yes, when Patrick McNamara (widower of Kate Foley) died in 1906 his age was 86 years old (per your research). And yes, in the 1901 Census in House 17, Patrick is 82 years old which supports an 1820 birth. But this Patrick McNamara has many more strikes against him from being the son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara:

#1 No son named Andrew. No grandson named Andrew. Patrick named his oldest son Patrick.

#2 Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley had seven children born between 1847 and 1863, and not one single McNamara or Sheedy sponsor at any of their baptisms. Despite Patrick having 11 brothers and sisters?

#3 Patrick McNamara does not appear as a sponsor at any baptism for any child of his "brothers" Michael McNamara and Matthew McNamara - both had very large families.

#4 Patrick McNamara and Kate Foley's granddaughter Mary McNamara who moved to Washington D.C. has reported cousin relationships that cannot be explained with Patrick's current sibling structure.

#5 Land. Did Andrew McNamara (1790 - 1869) have three plots of land to leave to Patrick, Michael and Matthew?

For the above reasons, I believe we should be searching for a different family for the Patrick McNamara who married Kate Foley. Perhaps one with a brother named James McNamara who had a son named James McNamara (married to Margaret Bowles) to explain the cousin relationships of Mary McNamara of Washington D.C. We might also find a home for the Patrick McNamara who married Bridget Connors of Uggoon as most of their children also went to Washington D.C. In 1900, Washington D.C. had a population under 300,000; New York City was 3.5 million. Was it only coincidental that all three "separate" McNamara families of Glandree/Uggoon settled in Washington D.C.?

This still leaves your hesitancy to accept Michael McNamara as the son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara. This Michael would lease Plot 60, a very substantial farm at 70 acres. The evidence that Plot 60 in Glandree is better than Plot 8 in Uggoon is that Matthew and Anne McNamara could not support themselves on Plot 8 and were evicted in 1891. Why did the younger son Michael get the better farm instead of the older son Matthew? A very good question which does raise doubt that Michael is a son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara. However, I checked the Ireland Civil Registration Death Index on ancestry.com. I'm not too familiar with these records but it has Michael McNamara of Tulla registration district in quarter 1 of 1890, which I believe means he died in 1889, same as what we have reported. But his age is reported as 67, and not age 64 as reported by your source. It would be easy to confuse a "7" and "4" and end up with two different transcriptions. But the ancestry.com source of 67 years makes the most sense. Now Michael McNamara is born in 1823 (still the missing baptism page period of the Tulla register) and is older than Matthew McNamara born in 1824. It also now makes sense that Michael obtained the better land, and also that Michael married first in January 1853, followed by Matthew in January 1854.

Typically, we see a father only leave one plot of land to just one son. Or perhaps as in the case of Andrew Sheedy McNamara split one property into portions. It appears that Michael McNamara (born 1823) was already leasing Plot 60 by 1855 as he is named in the Griffiths Valuation. This is only a few years after his 1853 marriage and many years prior to the death of his father Andrew (non-Sheedy) McNamara in 1869. In my small sample of McNamara families of Glandree, six families are gone by 1850. We saw a similar decrease in the number of McNamara's from the 1827 Tithes to 1855 Griffiths Valuation. Perhaps Andrew McNamara was able to lease one of these vacated plots for his son Michael, and leave Plot 8 in Uggoon for his son Matthew? The baptism locations for this McNamara family reflect a move from Glandree to Uggoon. Was Andrew McNamara able to maintain the lease on Plot 60 in Glandree even with the move to Uggoon?

For further evidence that Michael McNamara and Matthew McNamara are brothers, we can look to the American records. And Australia records, as we know two daughters of Matthew McNamara went to Australia. What happened to all their other siblings who did not inherit land? Will American and Australian records provide further evidence of a cousin relationship between the children of Michael and Matthew? Also, the fact that Michael and Matthew married two Halpin sisters will also provide circumstantial evidence. Which reminds me that I still need to provide support for this Halpin connection.

Sheila, once again excellent job in finding the O'Neill letter reference to Patrick McNamara and finding his first marriage to Catherine O'Neil and birth of their daughter Mary.