Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:40 pm

Sheila,

I now see you have also added onto this thread, for your query on how to access more of John O'Donovan's commentary resulting from his official work in the 1830s while working on the Ordnance Survey around the island. You have seen what he produced for Galway as well as Sixmilebridge CLA. There is also similar work preserved for Co. Meath.

While I am not expert at this subject, each time O'Donovan has been put into digital format over the years, I have reviewed what there is for my area of Clare, namely Kilkishen and environs. Each time I have been disappointed that O'Donovan was so dismissive of my family's East Clare locations of the early to mid 1800s. I distinctly remember O'Donovan recounting just an adequate oppotunity getting his personal needs met while doing his work in East Clare (in his memoirs), and then when it came to official notations in the Field Books, all he had to say throughout the countryside was that there was no residence worth the requisite 3-pound valuation.

I am providing a link to an 1862 book detailing how O'Donovan spun his official work into more inquiries and work projects than strictly needed for his Ordnance Survey engagement. His extra pursuits extended to the Irish language itself, clearly beyond what any official agency would pay him for. Start on page 9:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/On ... frontcover

The extra comments you seek, modeled on what you have seen for Galway and Sixmilebridge, may never have been duplicated by O'Donovan for all those other regions covered by his official work. However, if any more regions did get that extra commentary, the Royal Irish Academy would likely have it or at least know what institution has it, such as the National Archives (Dublin) which does have online the 1845 Field Books, including those for Clare.

Good luck, Sharon C.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:31 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for providing the Field Name Books for both Drummanneen and Calluragh townlands in Inchicronan (Crusheen) parish, sourced from Thomas Coffey’s book, The Parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen) published in 1993.

William Stapleton's percentage of ownership of Calluragh at the time of Griffith Valuation I had calculated at 70 percent and Augustine Butler's percent at 30 percent (and not one-third as reported on the Field Name Book). The total valuation for Calluragh townland had increased £150 in the 1830's to £185 by 1855 Griffith Valuation.

I wonder if William Stapleton was related to Augustine Butler?
STAPLETON—August 14, at 19 Charleston avenue, Rathmines, at an advanced age, William J. Stapleton, Esq. The deceased gentleman was the grandson of Bryan Stapleton, of Bryan's Castle, in the County of Clare, and of Theobald Butler, of Doon. R.I.P.

Dublin Weekly Nation, Saturday, 26 August 1899
Sheila, in 2020 in the thread "Grogan and Quinlivan of Kilrush and Limerick" we had discussed Augustine Butler, son of Theobald Butler, but I'm not sure how William Stapleton could be related.

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... 3&start=30

My comment from 29th Nov. below (surprised now to see another Stacpoole connection):
The Butler and Stacpoole marriage on 20 July 1854 was Church of Ireland, so a civil marriage record is available online. Augustine Butler was the son of Theobald Butler of Ballyline. There are many "Theobald Butlers" in Ireland, descendants of a famous Toby Butler (1650 - 1720).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 431957.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobald_ ... r-general)
William Stapleton's obituary was probably submitted to the newspaper by his niece, Anna Maria Stapleton. Sheila, in “Some O’Loghlen Families in Burren, county Clare, Ireland” by Michael O’Loghlen, you commented upon the many letters written by Anna Maria Stapleton, but these naturally related to the O'Loghlen side of her family. However, her knowledge of her Butler ancestry was noted (from page 184):
Note: We’ve twice noticed that Anna Stapleton seems mentioned as an authority in other contexts:
by H Blackall’s paper, The Butlers of County Clare (1952); and by C S Kenny’s paper, Kenny Family
Notes (1915).
https://olochlainn.files.wordpress.com/ ... t-2021.pdf
Sheila, for the Field Name Book for Drummanneen townland, I reckon there was a typo and "Ged. Sampson", the agent, should be "Geo. Sampson" for "George Sampson". In the testimony in 1880 of Anna Maria Stacpoole, she stated that "the good land was given to the driver, Sampson, by the agent". It appears now that the Sampson was, in fact, the agent and not the driver.
WINTERAGE
To be Let, until the First day of May next
THE WINTERAGE AND WASTE GRASS
OF THE DEERPARKS AT MOYRIESK.

THEY are well divided, well sheltered, and a constant supply of water.—The Steward will show the LANDS. Proposals will be received by GEORGE SAMPSON, Esq., Jail-street, Ennis, or at Moyriesk, to be forwarded to the Right Hon. Lord FITZGERALD and VESCI.

Limerick Chronicle, Wednesday, 24 December 1834
The Field Name Book provided the interesting detail that William Stapleton's home in Calluragh was "in bad repair" and O'Loghlen's house in Drummanneen was "a fine thatched cottage". It is no wonder that Anna Maria Stapleton went to go live with her uncle Denis O'Loghlen and her aunt (the widow Stackpoole) at Viewmount. I also made the comment that the Stapletons appear to have been wealthy, and I based this upon the Griffith Valuation of his lands at about £125. However, we have no idea what Stapleton's debts were, so the land valuation alone might be a poor indication of his wealth, but still a good indication of his social class.

Sheila, the "Name Books" and "Field Name Books" are one and the same, so some of your comments in your recent postings may confuse a reader.

Hopefully, not to add to the confusion, a few years back, I went in search of the "Ordnance Survey Memoirs" for County Clare. In the 1990's on a trip to Northern Ireland, I has purchased three volumes of the "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland" for various parishes in County Antrim. There are two or three parishes in each book, and at about 150 or so pages, they were chock full of random information for each parish. And reasonably priced at about 10 bucks. These books were great, but where I could I find something similar for County Clare? After searching unsuccessfully the Clare Library website, I read the introduction to the OS Memoirs and discovered that only one parish was officially published in the 1830's, with a substantial cost overrun, so the "Memoirs" project was cut, prior to making its way south in Ireland. The available material collected for the "memoirs" project, nearly all of it in Ulster, was finally published in the 1990's in 40 volumes for Northern Ireland. The below wikipedia article provides a good summary of these events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_ ... of_Ireland

Another good article to read is “Ordnance Survey Manuscripts Preliminary Report” by R. Dudley Edwards in Analecta Hibernica, no. 23, 1966, pp. 277–96. JSTOR,

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25511896?r ... b_contents

You'll need to register with jstor, which is free, to view 100 articles per month. This article is from 1966, so it is very pleasing that all the "OS Memoir" material has now been published and easily available to purchase (again, none for County Clare):

https://www.nifhs.org/resources/journal ... y-memoirs/

For the "Field Name Books" or "Name Books", there is distinction between (1) the original documents and (2) the material reproduced in transcript (by Father Michael O'Flanagan between 1927 and 1930).

(1) For the original Name Books, the wikipedia article stated that the "original memoir material and name books were donated by the Ordnance Survey to the Royal Irish Academy". The 1966 journal article "Ordnance Survey Material" stated that the "R.I.A. was given most of the material concerned with antiquities". It also states "There still exist in the Ordnance Survey Office in the Phoenix Park the Name Books [footnote 2 Otherwise known as the Field Name Books] and other records connected with the names upon the O.S. maps. These latter documents are not easily accessible, but recently, on the initiative of the Ordnance Survey Directorate, the National Library has microfilmed the Name Books as well as the material in the boxes in the R.I.A. "

As noted previously, the O.S. Letters, scans of the original documents, are easily accessible on the askaboutireland website:

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading- ... /index.xml

It is less clear where the original Name Books are located. Searching the catalogue of the Royal Irish Academy there is no reference to having the Name Books in their collection.

https://www.ria.ie/

I had greater luck with the National Library of Ireland which does have the O.S. Name Books for County Clare on microfilm (but not digitized and available on-line). Note the discussion below about the Field Name Book for County Limerick, albeit the reproduced transcript version, being over 1,700 pages.

https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/MS_UR_052217

(2) Regarding the typescript copies of the Names Books, by the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan, wikipedia vaguely mentions about "local selections" being published, but does this relate to County Clare?
In 1911 The O'Rahilly formed the Irish Topographical Society to transcribe and publish the name books and letters. Some Gaelic League members, including Arthur Griffith, worked on this for several years. The project was revived by Father Michael O'Flanagan in 1927 and a typescript was completed in 1930. Local selections were subsequently published, and scans of the originals were published online in 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_ ... of_Ireland
The journal article "Ordnance Survey Manuscripts" provides greater detail (and bad news for Clare):
Material Reproduced in Print and Typescript (p. 284-285)

Father O'Flanagan also reproduced material from the O.S. office in the Phoenix Park from the Name Books. There is no set in the R.I.A. nor in T.C.D., but according to the catalogues of the Irish Central Library for Students, the N.L.I. and U.C.D. library, seventy-six volumes comprising twenty counties were reproduced and put on sale. The remaining counties of Clare, Cork, Down, Fermanagh, Galway, Louth, Kildare, Kilkenny, Queen's, Tyrone, Waterford, and Wexford were typed but not duplicated. I owe this information to the late Father O'Flanagan's former secretary, Mary Nelson, now Mrs. Elliott, and also to . . .
Unfortunately, from the above it would appear that the typed Field Name Book for County Clare, since never reproduced and published, may not be as readily available as for other counties, such as County Limerick. And there is no indication from the above article where Clare's typed Father O'Flanagan document would be located.

The County Limerick Library website, in their Local Studies section, has both the OS Letters and OS Field Name Books for Limerick City and County Limerick, nicely organized by townland. Both OS Letters and OS Field Name Books are in the typescript format completed between 1927 and 1930. Scroll down below the townlands for "Appendix 1, Names of Houses" and "Appendix 2, Name Books of the Rivers Shannon & Fergus", which are both very interesting.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/Loca ... fLimerick/

There are over 1,700 pages of Field Name Book (typed & reproduced O'Flanagan version) for County Limerick. Their project was completed back in 2012 which must have been an exceptional effort to get all these documents scanned and put on-line.

The format and information of the Field Name Books provided for Limerick above is consistent with the information posted by Sheila for the two Crusheen townlands a few postings ago.

From Thomas Coffey’s book on the history of the parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen), we know that the Field Name Books for County Clare exist. Unfortunately, there are no clues what happened to the one copy for County Clare typed (but not reproduced) by Father O'Flanagan's team between 1927 and 1930. A pity that the N.L.I. hasn't made their copies of the microfilmed Field Name Books available on-line. Maybe they have future plans?

It is also a pity that County Clare was never part of the Ordnance Survey Memoirs as the published material that I have for County Antrim is very good.

Sheila, researching the Field Name Books has led me, for the first time, to the Royal Irish Academy website. Was excited to learn that this summer there is a special digital exhibition, "Window on the Irish Soul — 100 Years of Irish Stamps" that runs until August 30th.

https://www.ria.ie/exhibition-window-ir ... ish-stamps

Edits 1 & 2 on July 6th: Father O'Flanagan, consistently added the "O" to his name. For County Clare, the Field Name Book was typed, but never reproduced or published by Father O'Flanagan — clarified language to make this more clear.
Last edited by Jimbo on Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:06 am

Hi Sharon

Thank you for replying to my query, although you had already replied to the same query in the topic started by you in 2009: “O’Donovan’s Ordnance Survey, Galway Library’s version: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=494&p=14757&sid=94f ... 111#p14757.
And thank you for the link to the book on John O’Donovan, which I will read later. There is also a good article on John O’Donovan, by T. J. Clohosey – Kilkenny Archaeological Society: https://kilkennyarchaeologicalsociety.i ... onovan.pdf. John O'Donovan married a Clare woman, Miss Broughton of Kiladerry, and his son, Richard, also married a Clare woman, a Miss Cahill from Ennis. I think Richard and Miss Cahill were both living in England (Liverpool) at the time (1881). The author refers to the Field Name Books at the end of page 16:
In a letter to Dr. Todd, John says: "Early in 1821, I was sent to school in Waterford by my brother. I learned Arithmetic, English-Grammar and Book-Keeping." The letter does not mention the location of the school nor the name of the teacher. But in one of the Field Name Books [for Waterford], dealing with Murphy's Lane off Patrick Street, John wrote that “Its occupants are of the lowest class, of the lowest and most diabolic character. So at least they were in 1821 when I went to school to old Ned Hunt of Patrick Street".
Sheila

Hi Jimbo

So glad you found something exciting on the Royal Irish Academy website – a most unlikely place!

Thank you very much indeed for your reply to my query. My first reaction is to ask you kindly if you can copy it to the topic Sharon Carberry started so long ago (Apr. 2009): “O’Donovan’s Ordnance Survey, Galway Library’s version: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=494&p=14757&sid=94f ... 111#p14757.
I decided that my query, although it followed on the discussion about the Stapletons, Stackpooles, which in turn followed on your research on Land League events, was going off at too much of a tangent of a tangent, and more suited to the topic started by Sharon. Your contribution would greatly augment the information on that thread. I can see that you might have to tailor it a bit, which is always tiresome work, so, if you don’t want to do that, could I just refer to it, at least, please?

I found it so very helpful. It clarified a lot for me. And, anymore, I will refer to the "Field Name Books" rather than the" Name Books". I hadn’t known about the work started by The O’Rahilly and Arthur Griffith, and taken up later by Fr. Flanagan. Such a pity Fr. Flanagan did not get to type up the remarks for Co. Clare. But good to know that I’m not imagining things and that they do exist and can be viewed in the Microfilm Reading Room of the National Library of Ireland. Wouldn’t it be great if the Local Studies Centre (Ennis) were provided with copy of the microfilm. Dublin is fine, of course, but Ennis is easier in every way.

Yes, I agree that “Ged. Sampson” should be “ Geo. Sampson”.

Yes, I agree that the descriptions of William Stapleton’s home and Mr. O’Loughlin’s home are interesting and they explain why the Stapletons came to live at O’Loughlin’s, and this is just the sort of detail that make it important to have access to the Field Name Books, even if they have to be viewed in the original longhand.

I know about the work done on the parishes in the North of Ireland and how extensive and wonderful the notes are and I know about the cutting down of that facet of the Ordnance Survey, which, in the end, despite such cuts, ran madly over budget (Colby didn’t worry himself too much about that. His way of defending criticism of expenditure was to attack his critic).

Thanks for the help with registering with jstor. I’ve never managed to do that, but will try again.

Thanks for the link to the Field Name Books of Limerick: http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/Loca ... fLimerick/. Just a moment previous to your reply appearing, I had found, in a posting by Sharon Carberry in Apr. 2012, a link to one of the Limerick parishes, Killeely, half of which is in Clare: “Killeely described by O’Donovan, Limerick Field Books”: viewtopic.php?t=4054. The townlands in the Co. Clare side of the parish are not included, but I was pleased to get a further example of the kind of information I’m looking for. A belated Thank You to Sharon.

Going back to the earlier information in your reply, I was interested to see the indications of a connection between the Stapletons and the Butlers. This seems be the Doon Butlers rather than the Ballyline Butlers, but of course they both come under The Butlers of Co. Clare: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... utlers.htm.
Also the marriage between Theobald Butler, Ballyline (prominent in Co. Clare politics), and Catherine Stacpoole, in 1854.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 am

Hi Sharon

I want to thank you again for that link to “On the Life and Labours of John O’Donovan, LL. D.” I’ve read it and I enjoyed it and will be reading it again. It is an article, by Sir Thomas Gilbert, first published in 1862. It is taken from the Dublin Review, no. 102. It is only 22 pages in length, but packed with detail.
I was interested to see that John O’Donovan, though in a state of depression at the time, replied to queries from people abroad regarding their ancestors:
O’Donovan had begun life full of hope in the resurgence of true Irish learning, trusting that the results of his exertions while advancing the reputation of his country would gain for himself somewhat of national gratitude and estimation; but as years passed on he found that Ireland, as at present [1862] governed, offers neither a recognised place nor solid appreciation to scholars devoting themselves to studies which hold the first rank in independent and self-respecting States; he thus gradually fell into a condition of fixed depression and despondency, taking an interest only in the education of his children, and in preserving and elucidating the historic records of the ancient Irish.
Many of O’Donovan’s nights were occupied chiefly in correspondence, which he carried on to an almost incredible extent, replying to constant inquiries from members of the old Irish race, both in these and other countries, who regarded him as the highest authority on all questions connected with the genealogies and family history of “sea-divided Gaels”. Although these inquiries were entirely gratuitous, and ofent unreasonably exacting, we believe that they were never allowed to remain unanswered. (p. 19)
Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:34 am

Hi Jimbo

Well, Fr. Flanagan is Fr. Michael O’Flanagan and we must give him credit for getting the letters on the antiquities of Co. Clare into typewritten form - see the acknowledgement in the introduction to “Ordnance Survey Letters by John O’Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839” made available online by Clare Library at: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... /index.htm.
The wikipedia entry on O'Flanagan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Flanagan ) includes his work on the Ordnance Survey (scroll down quite a bit). I suspect he confined himself to the letters on the antiquities and did not set about work on the Field Name Books. I imagine that O’Flanagan was not very interested in the nitty-gritty of the townlands (with so much tiresome emphasis on the composition of the soil and just the odd nugget of interesting information). The biography in ainm.ie (https://www.ainm.ie/Bio.aspx?ID=514) says, “Iarradh air eagrán de litreacha Sheáin Uí Dhonnabháin agus Eoghan Uí Chomhraí a chur le chéile in oifig na Suirbhéireachta Ordanáis, rud a rinne sé in 1927/8”, which I translate as “He was asked to edit a collection of the letters of John O’Donovan and Eoghan O’Curry in the Ordnance Survey Office, which he did in 1927/8”. This mention of O’Curry makes me think that the letters in question were the ones about the antiquities.
But what O’Flanagan did, or did not do need not concern us too much since we now know that the Field Name Books for the townlands of Clare are on microfilm in the National Library of Ireland.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:23 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thanks, I've gone back and edited my last posting to consistently refer to the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan with an "O". Also, O'Flanagan's project can be viewed in three phases (1) transcription / typed (2) reproduction (3) publish. The Field Name Book for County Clare was typed, but never reproduced or published. Several of my comments such as "the one copy for County Clare reproduced by Father O'Flanagan's team between 1927 and 1930" should have stated "typed" and not "reproduced" — these have been edited.

Sheila, your latest comment on the Field Name Books stating their "tiresome emphasis on the composition of the soil and just the odd nugget of interesting information" would be incorrect. From my reading of The Analecta Hibernica article "Ordnance Survey Manuscripts" by R. Dudley the "geological survey" material was separate from the Field Name Book material. One focus of the Field Name Books was to officially name the townlands, often to use their Irish origin name. So I reckon that Rev. Michael O'Flanagan (1876 - 1942), as an Irish language scholar of the 20th century, would have been highly interested and involved in the work completed on this topic by John O'Donovan (1806-1861), an Irish language scholar of the 19th century.

Here is more information on the Irish Topographical Society work started by The O’Rahilly and Arthur Griffith, which preceded the work done by the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan:
TO THE EDITOR OF THE NORTHERN WHIG

Sir,—The Irish Topographical Society is now engaged in compiling a series of volumes on the place names of Ireland, commencing with the Counties of Dublin, Louth, and Wexford, which they hope soon to have ready for publication. Each volume will deal with every Irish place name that is found within the county to which it refers, and will contain besides the English and Irish forms of the names and their meanings, an amount of topographical, antiquarian, and historical information that will make it invaluable to the student and of the greatest interest to the general public. The Society is probably unique in the fact that, although it enjoys no endowments, it seeks no subscriptions; but it does solicit the assistance of any who are willing to help in compiling the information to be included in the forthcoming volumes. If those who can devote an occasional hour in their homes to this most interesting and important work will communicate with me I will be glad to explain how it can be accomplished with the least possible trouble and the greatest possible efficiency.—Yours, &c,
C.S. POWER, Secretary
4, Trinity College, Dublin, Nov. 25, 1910

Northern Whig, Tuesday, 29 November 1910
It appears that the Irish Topographical Society never got beyond the compiling stage, and the publication of their work was always forthcoming. From an article a decade later, "Some years since, under the title of The Irish Topographical Society, a number of enthusiasts undertook the tasks of topographical history of Ireland in bi-lingual form. The late The O'Rahilly being one of the pioneers of this undertaking, but for some reason or other it never reached beyond the initial stage. The idea, if I remember rightly, was to issue in handy volumes the place names of the country, with historical notes on the many names of interest throughout the land. . .", (Dublin Leader, Saturday, 1 July 1922).

Not sure where the one typed document of the Field Name Book for County Clare by the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan would be located, but perhaps it would be best anyways to view the original 1830's document which has been microfilmed at the National Library of Ireland. The Analecta Hibernica article "Ordnance Survey Manuscripts" by R. Dudley Edward stated that "O'Flanagan did not attempt to emulate the scholarly work of Paul Walsh, and his reproductions should be checked against the originals". "His reproductions" would refer to both the OS Letters and OS Field Name Books. The reference to Paul Walsh refers to his 1915 book on Westmeath names.

For County Limerick a comparison between the original O'Donovan OS Letters (available on-line at askaboutireland) and the typed O'Donovan OS Letters by the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan (available on-line at the Limerick Library) is possible from the comfort of your home.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/Loca ... fLimerick/

A similar comparison of the Field Name Books would require obtaining the microfilm copy of the actual Name Books at the N.L.I. for County Limerick, and comparing this against the O'Flanagan typed reproduced version available on-line at the County Limerick website (same link as above).

Sheila, there was a previous discussion about the Name Books on this forum by Paddy Casey back in 2010 entitled "Clare (or Other) Placenames Database — logain.ie":

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=1708

Incredibly the linked database still works:

https://www.logainm.ie/en/

Per Paddy:
The Field Name Books (also Name Books) of places in Clare can be consulted in the Clare Library Local Studies Centre in Ennis. They are a goldmine of information because, for each place, they list the various names with their synonyms together with the names of the people who provided the information.
From the Local Studies Centre listing of their reference material includes:
Maps - The Down Survey (1685) and Grand Jury Maps (1787) are the earliest maps of Clare held in the Centre. First edition Ordnance Survey 6" (1842) and their accompanying Letters and Name books, compiled under the direction of John O'Donovan, are available.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/libra ... studi1.htm
Sheila, it might be worth a trip to the Local Studies centre in Ennis and check out their "Name Books". A phone call would normally suffice, but I reckon you need to see exactly what documents they are referring to as the "Name Books". Is this a copy of the original Field Name Books from the 1830's (very doubtful) or the typed copy by the Rev. Michael O'Flanagan, or perhaps something different entirely? The posting by Paddy Casey mentions "anonymous and unsung scribes and scholars who have/had been beavering away since the mid-1940s transcribing the field name information onto those yellow index cards that you can view on their site", referring to the logain.ie website. Sheila, it would be great if the Field Name Books for County Clare are located at the Local Studies Centre in Ennis, but I have a suspicion it might be copies of the "yellow index cards" apparently created in the 1940's. This is not what you are after. A visit to the Local Studies Centre would solve this mystery, and then, as you suggested, we can update Sharon's (and now Paddy's) prior postings on the topic.

Speaking of updates, the "Planning a Visit to Clare — a vade mecum" by Paddy Casey, also linked by the Clare Library under Research Support, was written way back in 2010. It provides excellent advice, but as far as on-line research materials available prior to any trip to Ireland, 2010 might be considered the "dark ages":

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=1548

Granted there is an update in 2016 referencing Claire Santry's blog, which if you could dig through her vast material would get you up to speed. However, so much of the suggested approach in the "a vade mecum" article on researching your roots on a trip to Ireland, you should have performed prior to stepping on the plane. Four examples:

1) Catholic birth and marriage records: have now been transcribed by a team of volunteers (Sheila, Sharon, Murf et al) and the original records are available on-line at the N.L.I. (for free!).

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/libra ... ecords.htm
https://registers.nli.ie/

2) Civil birth, marriage and death records, now available on-line (from viewing family trees on the ancestry website, it is amazing how few of their subscribers are aware of this free resource). No reason to go to the Sanfield Centre in Ennis, as suggested, unless for some of the earlier civil death records that are not yet available on-line.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... search.jsp

3) Newspapers: the Local Studies Centre in Ennis has a listing of their newspapers available on microfilm, an extensive collection. However, a good number of these same newspapers, such as the Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser, have now been transcribed (and thus searchable) by the British Newspaper Archive. A one-month subscription is only £12.99. Anyone who has had to search newspapers on microfilm would appreciate the value in this subscription. Note that unlike in the USA, where a poor Irish famine immigrant to a small Midwestern town might get a long and in depth front page obituary in their local paper, there won't be similar reporting in an Irish newspaper unless the individual was of a higher social class (or criminal class) — researchers should taper their expectations.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co. ... ?Gift=true

4) Griffith Valuation, now available on-line

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Sheila, on a research trip to Ireland the top documents I'd want to see are the land Cancellation Books and the "Rate Books" which have proved so valuable for Scariff Registration District as transcribed by John Holohan of Feakle and made available at the Clare Library:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... 1_1926.htm

But not sure what else would be a top research priority that would require being in Ireland. Otherwise, I would prefer to spend my time in the outdoors, cycling along the coast or hiking in the Burren. I also find it interesting to learn the local history of events, even if those "incidents" took place after my own ancestors left Ireland during the Great Famine.

In that regard, I am curious for County Clare if the Field Name Books will assist with investigating an incident that took place in 1844 in the townland of Dromloughra, located in Inchicronan Parish. Dromloughra was reported as a townland in Inchicronan (Crusheen) Parish at the 1834 Tithe Applotment, but goes missing by the time of Griffith Valuation in 1855. This was not uncommon for Inchicronan Parish, as there were about 80 townlands in 1834 and only about 50 townlands in 1855. Will the Field Name Books provide any information at all about the old townland names that are no longer in use? Where was Dromloughra townland included in the 1855 Griffith Valuation?

To be continued,

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:54 am

Hi Jimbo

For the moment I am just replying to your question about Drumloughra. I think it was subsumed by the townland of Gortaniska. I’m going on these records for a Connor Heffernan:
Tithes: Dromloughra: Connor Heffernan, Francis Heffernan, Michael McAllen: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... rch=Search (note that Drumloughra is situated next to Boscobell)

Griffith’s Valuation: Gortaniska: Cornelius Heffernan.

I will reply to the rest of your post soon.

Sheila

Edited to fix typo.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:26 am

Hi Jimbo

I forgot to answer one part of your question about Drumloughra, i.e. will the Field Name Books provide any information at all about the old townland names that are no longer in use? The answer is no. But I should say that I’m going on Thomas Coffey’s reproduction in Chapter 9, The Parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen), alone. About Dromloughra: it is tempting to think that Drumloughra means Loughrey’s Hill, but it could also mean Rushy Hill (luachair = rushes).

Jimbo, I agree that I should not have said that Fr. O’Flanagan would not have been interested in the Field Name Books, but I still think his main interest would have been in what O’Donovan had to say about the name of the townland and the Irish version of it. I don’t know if O’Donovan’s opinions about the placenames were always included in the Field notes: the Co. Limerick Field Name Books include his contributions on the names, but the Co. Galway Field Name Books do not have them, and neither have the descriptive remarks reproduced by Thomas Cofffey.

When I spoke of the “tiresome descriptions of the composition of the soil”, I meant those bits of the “descriptive remarks” that describe the soil as being light and sandy or heavy clay, etc., which is not very interesting and very repetitive. The listing of crops is a little more interesting, but nearly always the same (oats, potatoes and some turnips). I know very well that there was an immense amount of work done on the geology of Ireland, probably in the hopes of finding large deposits of some useful mineral, but this a completely separate aspect of the Survey.

Thanks very much for the helpful information on the Topographical Society and for the information that O’Flanagan’s work is not entirely faithful to the original. I agree that the best thing for us, in our search for the Field Name Books for Clare, is to leave aside Fr. O’Flanagan and just try to find the original. Hopefully what is on microfilm will be the original notes.

Jimbo, you say that the Field Name Books for Limerick can be checked against the original available on askaboutireland, but when I use the link (to askaboutireland) I get, not the Field Books, but, rather, a description of the antiquities. See the parish of Castleconnell, for instance: a wonderful history of the parish, including an example of beautiful Gaelic script, at which O’Donovan excelled, and a lovely drawing of an ancient arch, but nothing about Proprietor, Middleman, Agent, or the Prevailing Names among the tenants, which is what we are looking for.

Thank you very much for the quote from Paddy Casey, which tells us that the Field Name Books can be consulted in the Local Studies centre. But, when Paddy says that “for each place, they list various names with their synomyms together with the names of the people who provided the information”, he is describing the information available on www.logainm.ie (the Placenames Database). That database is quite separate from the Field Name Books. The only point of contact between the two is that the contribution of John O’Donovan regarding the placename is noted (just his initials) on the little yellow index card, which is included for most of the townlands in the database. There is an external link to the logainm site provided by Clare Library, along with the other information on each townland, under “Research Supports” (in Genealogy and Family History), so there is no longer any need to go to the Local Studies Centre for that information. For an explanation of the content of the national placename database at https://www.logainm.ie, go to “About This Website” and scroll down to “Sources”: https://www.logainm.ie/en/about/sources. The logainm site also includes, under “Manuscripts”, a facsimile copy of a John O’Donovan manuscript (lamhscríbhinn-sheain-uí-dhonnabhain.pdf), which can be downloaded, and which shows the work he did on the meanings of placenames. I looked up “Lougher” and, sure enough, the Irish is “Luachair” and the English is “Rushes”.

Also useful: Wikipedia entry on Placenames Database of Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placename ... of_Ireland

Finally, Jimbo, I hope to go to the Local Studies Centre next week, and make enquiries there. Thanks again for all your help, and also for looking at what someone coming to Clare show know before they set out to find their roots.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:57 am

Hi Sheila,

Good news, but first thanks for your suggestion that the townland of Dromloughra might be Gortaniska townland as reported in Griffith Valuation. Also, that the meaning of Dromloughra was "Hill of the Rushes" in English. My knowledge of Irish plants is very weak, but a google search of "Rushes" and "Ireland" led to the below irishwildflowers website which was very helpful:

https://www.irishwildflowers.ie/more/rushes.html

According to the website, there is a distinction between "Rushes" and "Wood-Rushes", which might be an important clue with regards to the location of Dromloughra.

Sheila, you based the suggestion that Dromlougra of 1824 Tithes (year per National Archives) was Gortaniska of 1855 Griffith Valuation based on Cornelius Heffernan, common to both. The Cornelius Heffernan, Francis Heffernan, and Michael McAllen at 1824 Tithes leased a total of 70 acres. At Griffith Valuation, the Cornelius Heffernan only had a small house and garden. This raises some doubt about Gortaniska. Plus, you stated that in Irish "drom" stands for "hill", while "gort" is a field.

Anyways, I set out to reconcile the acreage by townland reported on Tithes (National Archives of Ireland, linked from Clare Library) with Griffith Valuation (per askaboutireland website), for a subset of Inchicronan townlands, which would hopefully reveal what happened to Dromloughra by the time of Griffith Valuation.

Previously, we had come across the Ordnance Survey Letters (not the Name Books) at the NLI's askaboutireland website, from their "Reading Room" page:

In going back to the askaboutireland website of the NLI to obtain the Griffith Valuation acreage for my reconciliation project, I saw that to the right of "Griffith's Names" and "Griffith's Places" is "Name Books":

Without reading the fine print on the "Name Books" page, I searched for "Glendree" and "County Clare" and received this message:
"Please note that the Name Books and Letters service is under development; the Name Books and Letters are currently being scanned."

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith ... unty=CLARE
Which explains why the attached pdf documents for Glendree didn't open properly. The Name Book search page states the following.
Please note this section is under construction.

On this form, you can search for entries in the Ordnance Survey Name Books and Letters, published between 1824 and 1842 as part of the first complete mapping survey of Ireland. The results will show you a list of places in our Name Books and Letters Collection that match your search and will give you the option to view the original Name Book or Letter page, a PDF version of the same document and a map showing the location of the place.
Sheila, of course, this is exactly what you are looking for. Not sure if your trip to the Local Studies Centre in Ennis next week would still be necessary, as it appears that the NLI will be putting the original Name Books on their website, hopefully soon (the OS Letters are already elsewhere on their website; my prior comment for Limerick was that these original OS Letters can be checked against O'Flanagan's typed OS Letters, and not the Name Books).

Sheila, our search for the missing Name Books has indeed been a slight tangent from the search for the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree, but I am very pleased that it led to the discovery that the Royal Irish Academy, in conjunction with An Post, has a special stamp exhibition this summer. One correction from my prior posting. "Window on the Irish Soul — 100 Years of Irish Stamps" is not only an on-line digital exhibition, but also an in-person exhibition at the Royal Irish Academy — if you happen to be in Dublin through August 30th.

John O'Donovan (1806-1861) and Eugene O'Curry (1794-1862) were commemorated together on two Irish postage stamps issued on March 26, 1962; a 3 pence crimson stamp, and a 1 shilling 3 pence purple stamp. The surnames of the two Irish language scholars were written in Irish.
John O'Donovan and Eugene O'Curry 1962 postage stamp.jpg
John O'Donovan and Eugene O'Curry 1962 postage stamp.jpg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 31410 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:12 pm

Hi Jimbo

Thank you for the very good news that the Name Books and Letters are currently being scanned. The “and Letters” suggests that the Name Books referred to are not the letters about the antiquities. I think the Name Books must be the Field Name Books and certainly hope so. Anyway, I will now stop asking about where to find them, and just be patient.

And good work finding that the Connor Heffernan in Tithes (in Drumloughra) is unlikely to be the Cornelius Heffernan, who is in Gortaniska in Griffth’s, thirty years later. I see now that the record of the marriage of Patrick Loughery to Sarah Cotter, on 23 Feb 1870, gives his address as Drumloughrey and his father as Cornelius: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 060652.pdf. We know, from the Crusheen baptisms, that Cornelius’s address was Boscobel. We know that Boscobel was in the townland of Knockreddan. So Drumloughra must be in Knockreddan and “Drumloughra” most likely means "Loughrey’s Hill" afterall.

Interesting to see the Gaelic form of the letters on that 1962 stamp. Shortly afterwards, "cló Romhánach" (Roman script) was introduced and we had to get used to adding the letter 'h' where once there was just a dot over a letter. It was probably a difficult transition for older people.

Sheila

P.S. For anyone interested, here is the link to the information on John O'Donovan manuscript mentioned in my post above: https://test.logainm.ie/en/resources/manuscripts

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:22 pm

Hi Jimbo

If Drumloughra is Loughrey’s Hill, why are there no Loughreys occupying land at the time of the Tithe Applotment Books? It would seem that, if there were Loughreys living there at the time (and the place name surggests that they were), they were not liable for Tithes. It seems strange that Knockreddan was chosen as the name of that area, rather than Boscobel, or Controversy (where the Considines lived), or Dereen* (where the Tierneys lived), or Drumloughra, but I can see from the entry on logainm.ie that Knockredan/Knockreddan was mentioned in documents dating as far back as c.1660, and 1733: https://www.logainm.ie/en/8016, so maybe Knockreddan seemed the most “authentic” placename. In the descriptive remarks reproduced by Thomas Coffey, in The Parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen), Knockreddan is described as follows: "Knockriddane lake on the boundary, and Sunnagh river on the north boundary. Trout, pike and eel in this lake and river. Derrynacross lough on south boundary. Trout and pike in this lake. A silver mine in this townland” (p. 44). I don't think the "silver mine" can have amounted to much.

* Dereen: Jimbo, you referred to Dereenaclouna on page 43 of this thread when you were setting out the family tree of the McNamaras who lived in Knockreddan:
5.0 Bridget McNamara (≈1844 - after 1860), age 7 in 1851 census.
Bridget McNamara and her brother, Daniel McNamara, are the likely baptism sponsors in 1860 for a child born to Peter Tierney and Honora Cornheady, no location, but in other baptisms reported from "Dereenaclouna" (Crusheen baptisms, 1860-1880).
Dereenaclouna was shortened to Dereen, as the following records show:
23 Jun 1891: Marriage of Peter Tierney, aged 32, Farmer, Derreen, Crusheen, son of Peter Tierney, Farmer, dead, to Mary Jane Brown, Crusheen, aged 29, daughter of Patrick Browne, living, Farmer, in Sacred Heart Chapel, Limerick; witnesses: John O’Donnell, Maria Collins; celebrant: John Gately, S.J.: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 889025.pdf
3 Jul 1893: Birth of Mary Margaret to Peter Tierney, Farmer, and Mary Jane Browne, Derreen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 855969.pdf
8 Nov 1896: Birth of Peter Joseph to Peter Tierney, Farmer, and Mary Browne, Derreen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 816334.pdf

1901 census for Knockreddan: Peter aged 41, Mary aged 40 and their two children, Mary and Joseph: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1087204/

I think Mary Jane Browne was a niece of Fr. Lawrence Browne. I mentioned her baptism (1857) on page 3 of the discussion on Fr. Lawrence Browne which was included in the topic: "Grogan and Quinlivan of Kilrush and Limerick" : http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6623:
The Drumcliff parish baptisms show the baptisms of some of the children of Patrick Browne and Mary Anne Flanagan, but there’s a gap between the baptism of Mary Jane in 1857, and the baptism of Elizabeth in 1865, so the family must have lived somewhere else for those years:
23 Oct 1857: Mary Jane of Patrick Browne and Mary Anne Flanagan, Mill Street; sponsors: Patrick(?) Kenny, Margaret O’Flanagan.
3 Nov 1865: Elizabeth Monica of Patrick Browne and Mary Anne Flanagan, Mill Street; sponsors: Martin Flanagan, Jane Flanagan
8 Apr 1868: Helena of Patrick Browne and M.A. O’Flanagan, Mill Street; sponsors: sponsors: William Brown, Ellon Flanagan.
20 May 1869: Patrick Joseph of Patrick Browne and Mary Anne Flanagan, Mill Street; sponsors: Rev Laurence Browne, Bedelia McDonnell.

The civil record of the birth of Patrick in 1869 gives his father's occupation as Auctioneer.
Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:08 am

MURDER OF HEFFERNAN

Thomas Clanchy, and Patrick Clanchy, were arraigned for the wilful murder of Thomas Heffernan, of Dromlochrea, by a gun-shot wound, on the 13th December last. They severally pleaded not guilty. The trial is expected to come at the sitting of the court to-morrow (Tuesday).

Messrs O'Hea and Coppinger are retained for the defense.

Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 26 February 1845
"Dromlochrea" townland was reported in other newspaper accounts as "Drumloughra", the same townland name as reported on the Tithe Applotment books of 1824 — the year as reported by the National Archives of Ireland.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... rch=Search

Previously, in several prior postings, I had stated that the year of the Tithe Applotment books for Inchicronan Parish was 1834 since 20 October 1834 was the date reported in the Clare Library's Tithe Applotment index of occupiers of land for that parish:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ronane.htm
https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... an_tab.htm

In viewing the actual Tithe Applotment book for Inchicronan at the Family Search website (much easier to scroll between pages than the National Archives website), on page 15 of 42, at the top right corner is written "Rec'd October 20th, 1834" and then some initials. There are no other dates on the individual Tithe pages which list each tenant by townland (Drumloughra is on page 23 of 42). However, starting on page 35 are the "certificate" pages signed by the landlords, three of which are dated 1824, and one dated 1826. Thus, 1824 is the more accurate year for the Tithe Applotment books of Inchicronan Parish.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VX5S-49N

The decade difference between 1824 and 1834 is critical to determine who was who in Drumloughra townland. Specifically, Connor Heffernan of 1824 Tithes in Drumloughra could not be the Cornelius Heffernan (≈1809 - 1874) reported in 1855 Griffith Valuation in nearby Gortaniska townland as he would be too young in 1824, but he would have been a possibility if the year was 1834.

Sheila, thank you very much for providing the 1870 marriage record of Patrick Loughery (son of Cornelius) to Sarah Cotter, where he listed his residence as Drumloughrey. This is a very important clue that Drumloughra townland would later be called Knockreddan townland. Given the theory that "Drumloughrey" stands for "Loughery's Hill", I agree that it is odd that there were no Loughery's listed on the 1824 Tithe Applotment. I also wonder what happened to the four "Heuchen" individuals (Michael, John, Owen, William) who occupied neighboring Boskobell townland in 1824. An unusual surname that appears to disappear from later Crusheen records. Sheila, last December you used your Irish language skills (and confirmed by consulting MacLysaght) to determine that a "Commane" family of Knockreddan had become "Hurley", or maybe it was the other way around, due to a hurley translated in Irish as a "camán". I wonder if there is also an Irish language explanation for the apparent disappearance of the Heuchen's from not just Boscobel (later Knockreddan) townland but also from Crusheen Parish?

The trial in July 1845 of the brothers Thomas Clancy and Patrick Clancy for the murder of Thomas Heffernan is full of clues as to the mysterious location of Drumloughra townland. And since Crusheen baptism records don't start until 1860, the witness testimony allows the creation of a Heffernan family tree as well as information on their Crusheen neighbors that would not be possible due to the lack of other early 19th century records for Inchicronan parish. Plus, with the murder taking place in December 1844, the detailed testimony provides interesting insight into Irish village life just prior to the Great Famine.

Interestingly, Bryan O'Loghlen, the father or grandfather of recently discussed Anna Maria Stapleton of Viewmount, was a member of the jury at the murder trial.
ASSIZE INTELLIGENCE
CLARE—ENNIS, TUESDAY.
(FROM OUR REPORTER)
CROWN COURT.
(Before the Right Hon. the Lord Chief Baron,)

MURDER OF HEFFERNAN

The court this morning was much crowded, owing to the case of the Queen against Thomas and Patrick Clancy, for the murder of Thomas Heffernan, having been specially fixed for trial. At nine o'clock the Chief Baron entered court, when the long panel was called over, and after fifteen challenges for the prisoners, the following jury sworn:—Strettle Scott, Bryan O'Loghlen, Robert H. Borough, William Arthur, Daniel O'Grady, Thomas Sugard, John Hodge, Jonas Studdart, John Macbeth, Francis Healy, David Ievers, Ralph Cullinan.

The prisoners, Thomas Clancy and Patrick Clancy were put then in charge for the wilful murder of Thomas Heffernan, at Drumloghera, on the 13th of December last, by shooting at him with a certain gun, and inflicting one mortal wound of which he instantly died. There were two other counts in the indictment charging each of the prisoners severally, as a principal, and the other as aiding and abetting.

Mr. Bennett, Q.C., the Hon. Mr. Plunket, Mr. Herrick, and Mr. Hunt appeared for the crown, and Messrs. O'Hea and Coppinger for the defence.

Mr. Bennett briefly stated the case for the crown. After alluding to the circumstances attending the murder, as they afterwards appeared in evidence, the learned gentleman proceeded to say that the only question the jury had to determine was whether two prisoners were the persons that murdered him. There were some circumstances connected with the case which it was necessary they should be informed of — a person of the name of John Clancy, who was brother of the prisoner[s], was in possession of some ground, and the deceased Thomas Heffernan, a short time before the unhappy occurrence [murder], brought an ejectment against him to recover possession of this ground. John Clancy being in possession, unfortunately, instead of by law defending the possession, took up that species of murderous legislation too prevalent in this country. Heffernan succeeded at law, although the habere [a writ of execution in ejectment] was not executed, and Pat Clancy, one of the prisoners, was heard to say that John Clancy ought to stick Heffernan if he dared to take possession, to which John Clancy replied that he would take the life of any man who would make such an attempt. The learned gentleman again referred to the main facts of the case.

Mr. John Todd, sub sheriff, was produced for the purpose of proving the habere; the parties, defendants, were Catherine Heffernan and John Clancy; it was executed on the 7th of Jul, and the test bore date of the 28th of May.

Mr. Michael Ryan proved and attested copy of the judgment in ejectment the parties were Thomas Heffernan, plaintiffs, and Catherine Heffernan and John Clancy defendants; the action was on the title, and the date of the judgment was 19th Nov. 1844.

Mary Heffernan examined by Mr. Plunkett—I am the widow of Thomas Heffernan; he lived at Drumloghera in this county and is now dead; I recollect the day, the 13th Dec. last, when he was killed; I was in the house that day; his son, Patrick, a boy about five years old, and a daughter of his [Margaret, who will later testify] were in the house also; they are my step children; I knew John Clancy, he is nothing to me; two persons came to my house about one or two o'clock on that day; my brother Paddy Grady, and Connor Heffernan, a son to a cousin [Michael Heffernan] of my husband's, were in the house; my husband was in one of the rooms where he used to keep the mare; I was in the kitchen with the other persons; the men who came in had grey riding coats on; one of them asked my brother Paddy where was the man of the house; my brother said he was gone out, and the man then said, "You lie you rascal;" they walked over to the room where he was and shoved in the door; I then heard a shot and I became at once dazzled when I saw the lightning entirely in the room; the men then walked back through the kitchen; they went to the door and I followed them and made an offer [attempt] to catch one of their riding coats; one of the men turned in and drew out some round thing from his coat; I don't know that it was a pistol, or blunderbuss, as I never saw one; he pointed it at me and they then walked away; I went into the room and had the child in my arms (Witness here became much affected.)

Mr. Plunkett—My lord, there are some facts upon which I intended to examine this witness, but I think it better not to do so as we can have them from others.

Court—Very well, Mr. Plunkett.

Examination resumed—I saw them plainly.

Do you see them now? Indeed I wouldn't like to see them again.

Did you know John Clancy's brothers, Tom and Pat? I did know them, but I don't think I'd know them now; my husband and John Clancy were not on good terms, nor was he on good terms with Pat Clancy—(witness was here asked to identify the prisoners, but she became so much affected that it was deemed necessary to remove her from court).

Mr. Henry Whitestone, C.E., was produced to prove a map of the scene of murder with the relative positions as regarded distance, &c, of the houses of the prisoners and of the deceased.

Mary Heffernan recalled—I was never present when Tom or Pat Clancy disagreed with my husband, but my husband often told me of such things; he was in the habit of fastening the doors of the house every night with crowbars since the time of the record.

The witness was not cross-examined.

Patrick Grady examined by Mr. Herrick—I remember the day that Tom Heffernan was shot; I was in the home that day; his wife is a sister of mine; Con Heffernan was there, and also the son and daughter of the deceased; I saw two persons come into the house soon after dinner hour; I was sitting by the fire at the time; one of them asked me where was the man of the house; I said he was gone out and he then answered "you lie you rascal, his is not;" there was a room at the left-hand side, in which Heffernan was, and the man who spoke went over to the door; I stooped down my head; the other man went over also, and when I found their backs turned I ran out, as I was afraid of being shot; the men wore loose coats thrown over their shoulders; I knew the men—their names were Tom and Pat Clancy, (identifies them) and knew the men before; I knew them well for several years; I heard a shot immediately after leaving the house; my sister and the little girl and boy were there after me; I went for help, and at last I got Heffernan's servant boy to come with me; his name was John Ward; we returned to the house and we saw him again in the corner; there was blood on him, and he died I think in less than a quarter of an hour; the women were shouting and crying, and the deceased said "let ye pray for my soul". A man named Michael McAllan was reading for him; I did not tell all this at the coroner's inquest; Heffernan was killed on a Friday, and the inquest was held next day; I gave my information to Capt. Leyne, I was not there all the time that M'Allan was there.

Cross-examined by Mr. O'Hea—I think I was always on the same word; I told the first man I met that I saw two men; I did not tell him who the men were, nor did I tell Capt. Leyne the first time who they were; they asked me at the inquest if I knew them, and I said I did not; I came back from before Heffernan died; he was then able to speak; I heard M'Allan reading the Litany, but I did not hear the deceased answer it.

Connor Heffernan (a boy aged about 12 years) examined—I knew Thomas Heffernan; he was my second cousin; I lived near him, and was in his house the day he was killed; I know the Clancy's; Tom Heffernan was in the horse's room settling hay for the horse when Tom Clancy and Pat Clancy came in; Tom asked where was the man of the house, and Paddy Grady said he was out; Tom Clancy then said "you lie, you rascal, he is not;" Paddy Clancy had a gun in his hand; they went to the room where Tom Heffernan was; I ran out and went to my mother's, and said the war was in; my mother was in the garden with my father and the little girl; ran up to say that the two Clancys came in and shot Tom Heffernan; I did not hear a shot myself, as the day was too windy; when they left the house they went towards the mountain; Paddy Clancy had the leg of his trowsers turned up, as it was torn, and he had John Clancy's loose coat on; I know it to be John Clancy's because I cut the buttons out of it a couple of days before: it was then on the wall drying; Tom Clancy had his own coat on him; it was like every riding coat; he had a short breeches and grey stockings on; when I saw them go over the mountains my father asked me to go for the cows, and I would not, I was so much afraid; I knew them well before that day as they used to be in our village, Dromloghera; Tom Clancy had a pistol in his hand; I did not go to the house after that until he was buried; the widow remained in the house (witness identified the prisoners).

Cross-examined by Mr. Coppinger—Michael Heffernan is my father; I said I was second cousin to the deceased; Mrs. Tenet told me that she lives near the police barracks; she is a good woman; she gives me bread and tea for breakfast, and meat for dinner; she told me she was very fond of Tom Heffernan, and often said he was a very good fellow, and that it was a pity he was shot; I am living with her since last assizes; she used to be talking of him every evening; Margy Heffernan lived there also; Mr. Tenent is a policeman; when talking of this he used to say that the Clancy's were desperate fellows, and they ought to be hanged for killing my poor cousin; Mrs. Tenet told me to tell it was the riding coats they had (sensation). I lived with my father before this; the people there used to be talking of the murder every evening, and saying it was all about the land; I used to be every day in Tom Heffernan's house; there are two kitchen doors to the house; the room that the men were in was at the left-hand side, as you came in; Paddy Grady ran out first; he went to his own house near the lake; I was sitting by the fire when they came into the house.

Re-examined by Mr. Bennett—I told Mrs. Tenet what I saw, before she told me anything; I told her everything I told here to-day.

Margaret Heffernan examined by Hunt—I am daughter of the late Thomas Heffernan; I recollect the day my father was shot; I was in the house that day; Paddy Grady, my stepmother, and Connor Heffernan, were there also; two men came in, one of them had a gun, and the other had a pistol; they had riding coats on; one of them asked where was the man of the house, and Paddy Grady and my stepmother said he was out; "you lie, you rascal," said one of them; I know the men; they were the two Clancys—(Identifies them); I am positive that these are the two men; they went over to the room, and overturned a tub of water on the potatoes; they were bruising in the door, and they made a great deal of smoke and noise about the room; they then went out; Paddy Grady and Connor Heffernan went away before the men came back from the room, and Mrs. Heffernan attempted to catch one of them by the coat; one of the men had a long trowser on, and the other a short one; I saw them going out, but did not see them afterwards; there are two doors to the house, one in front, and the other at the back; they came in at the back door and went out by the other.

Cross-examined by Mr. O'Hea—All the neighbours came into the house immediately after; they began to cry and talk about the murder; they did not say it occurred about the land; I went for Michael Heffernan; I saw M'Allan praying; my father desired them kneel down and pray; I did not hear them answering the Litany; I was back before M'Allan came; I head the Clancys were taken up next morning; I saw John Clancy handcuffed; he was taken up at once, but he was not one of the two men; I was at home until last assizes, but I stopped at Mrs. Sinnot's since; he used to be talking about the Clancy's and the clothes they wore; Tom Clancy had a gun and Pat had a pistol, I am quite sure of that; it was Paddy who asked where the man of the house was, the other man said nothing; they had riding coats on; we used to be talking about the coats at Mrs. Tenet's.

Re-examined by Mr. Hunt—It was not long after the firing shot that M'Allen came; I heard my father desire him to light a candle and pray, but I heard him say nothing else.

Nancy Heffernan examined by Mr. Plunkett—Thomas Heffernan was my brother; I was living with John Clancy the time my brother was killed; Clancy was married to my sister; I was living with him since the November before; I knew Clancy's two brothers, Thomas and Patrick; on the day Tom was murdered I saw them passing down the house towards his place; they came down the hill; there is a sort of yard between John Clancy's house and Tom Heffernan's; they were not many yards away when I saw them; they went to Tom Heffernan's; I knew the men for eight years, they used to come often to the village; I was sitting by the fire at the time they passed; I could see them plainly through the window; I went to the door and lost sight of them when they got to Heffernan's house (identifies the prisoners); they wore two large grey riding coats; I knew a riding coat which John Clancy had; I saw it a day or two before the murder, but did not see it since; the police came there to look for it; John Clancy used to wear the coat before that time; I heard a shot fired; John Clancy was in the bog that day; I did not see anybody with him there; M'Allen came in with him; Clancy and M'Allen went out when the shot was fired but they said nothing; I did not see the prisoners at all after the shot was fired; I saw the prisoner Pat Clancy with John Clancy in the Month of May before; there was a handle of a pitchfork lying beside him, and he said it would be a good deed to knock the head of Tom Heffernan with that before he got possession of the land; John Clancy said nothing then.

Cross-examined by Mr. Coppinger—John Clancy is married about two years; he was in the habit of coming to that place for eight years' before, as his sister was married in the village; I lived with my first cousin [Michael Heffernan, presumably] before, and came to John Clancy; he lived near Crusheen; I am not married, but I had one child; I remember the 6th of March last; I lived with my mother in John Clancy's house then; he said he had no welcome for me as I wouldn't work for him; but he never turned me out, nor said I should not come there; I got the pretty shawl, and gown, and apron I have on from Mr. Kelly, the police officer; I swore an information in this case; that was, I believe, about 6th March, but it was not the day after John Clancy told me he had no welcome for me; I did not go to John Clancy's after; I did not see John Clancy speaking to two men in the bog, in the meadow, or near the wood of Derryvinnane; I did not go to Mr. Butler to complain of Clancy, but I went part of the way; I came next morning to Ennis and I went to Captain Leyne; I made an information. (Mr. Coppinger here referred o the original information of the witness, for the purpose of showing a discrepancy in her present statement as regards seeing John Clancy with the two men in the wood). I swore on the table here to-day that I did not see two men in the bog, or in the meadow, but I saw them in the wood of Derryvinnane; I heard nothing about a reward in this case; I have not had any money since I came to town; I live with Mr. Crean—he is not a policeman—he is a head-constable (laughter).

Re-examined by Mr. Plunkett—John Clancy never before this day said I had no welcome at his place; I sent a policeman for my clothes to his house before I got the clothes from Mr. Kelly.

P.M. Cullinan, Esq., M.D., examined by Mr. Hunt—I recollect the time Heffernan was killed; I saw him after death; there was a wound on his right side, and about 12 inches of the great bowel protruded; the wound passed through his liver, and in the bowel behind this I found about fifty small pellets of lead; I have no doubt these caused his death.

William Coolegan, sub-constable of police, examined—He proved the relative situations of the houses of prisoners and deceased, and that by one route he travelled the distance in forty-nine minutes, and by another thirty minutes; the weather was then very moist; at the time of the murder the weather was dry; I went on one occasion to [John] Clancy's house, to look for a great coat, and at another time to get clothes for Nancy Heffernan; I did not get either.

Cross-examined by Mr. O'Hea—I walked faster than I did when I travelled the road between Clancy's house [the prisoner's] and Heffernan's; when I went by the mountain pass I occasionally ran; I had no great coat on me, nor had I any accoutrements; my stock was on.

Henry George Kelly, sub-inspector of police, examined by Mr. Plunkett—I was in John Clancy's house; the fireplace is in the middle of the house; there is a window in the house, and sitting at the fire, I could see persons coming down the boreen; I myself sat in the position described by Nancy Heffernan.

To the Chief Baron—I was in Heffernan's house; there are two doors to it.

Cross-examined by Mr. Coppinger—The window in Clancy's house is the usual height from the floor of windows in cabins.

The case for the crown here close, and
Mr. Coppinger, at great length, and with considerable power, addressed the court for the defense, and proceeded to call the following witnesses . . .

Freeman's Journal, Thursday, 17 July 1845
At this point the reporting by the Freeman's Journal becomes rather weak, and it completely ignored the defense attorney's opening argument of "great length" and their coverage of the defense witnesses was also poor. Fortunately, the Limerick Chronicle provided excellent news reporting:
. . . .

Mr. Coppingers submitted that it was the duty of the Crown to have produced Mick Allen [Michael McAllen], who was with the deceased, and read prayers for him before he died.

Mr. Plunkett said they had produced all the witnesses whose names appeared on the back of the indictment.

Mr. Coppinger referred his Lordship to page 875, of vol. 2, of Hayes, where it was laid down that in a case of murder the crown ought to produce any one who could give fair evidence, whether favourable to the accused or not.

His Lordship held that as Mick Allen had not sworn an information, the Crown was considered to know nothing of him.

Mr. Coppinger then said it became his duty to address the Jury on this awfully important occasion, on behalf of the wretched men in the dock, whose future existence solely depended upon their verdict of guilty or not guilty. They were charged as being principals in one of the most heinous crimes known to the law—wilful murder—a crime revolting to the law of God, which had forbidden it, and the law of the land followed out the divine law, by requiring blood for blood—"for whosoever spilleth the blood of his fellow-man, his blood shall be spilled." His unfortunate clients stood charged with that foul, heinous, and abominable crime, and it therefore behooved the jury not lightly to form their opinion and judgment on probabilities, but to weigh well the entire circumstances connected with the transaction, and if they had a shadow of doubt on their minds, it behooved them to give the prisoner the benefit of it. That this atrocious murder was committed in noon-day, and the unfortunate victim sacrificed in the presence of his heart-broken and bereaved family, there was not a doubt. The very condition of the wretched widow of Heffernan on that table—her sufferings and sorrow were sufficient to arouse the breasts of all who saw her feelings of just indignation and horror against the blood-thirsty savages that murdered her husband. But the whole question is, who the murderers were, and on the identity of the prisoners depended the result of the trial. Mr. Coppinger then proceeded to animadvert [speak out against] on the evidence, and pointed out discrepancies in the testimony given by the witness. He dwelt on the circumstance of the children, (to whom he could not impute improper motives)—having been tutored by Mrs. Terrott; Grady's running away with fright, and Catherine Heffernan's [should be Nancy Heffernan; Catherine is the mother who did not testify] not swearing her informations until March, when she was turned off by John Conway [newspaper error, John Clancy]. He [Mr. Coppinger] totally denied that any or either of them had sufficient opportunity to identify the prisoners, when Mrs. Heffernan, who held one of them by the coat, and saw his face—who knew the Clanchy's, who knew they were unfriendly to her husband—could not take on herself to do so.

The defence set up for the prisoner was an alibi.

John McNamara sworn and examined by Mr. O'Hea—I am the brother-in-law of the Clanchys; I am married to their sister; I remember the day of the murder; it was on a Friday; I heard of it next day; Tom Clanchy's servant boy came to see me on Friday morning and asked me to allow my son to go break flax for him; I was in bed when he came; when I got up I went out in the field; I met Tom Clanchy, and he asked me to go settle stumps; there is only a quarter of a mile difference between our two houses; I went with him and saw Pat Clanchy, his wife, and my little boy and the servant-boy there; Patt and myself went over to Broughan's to cut sticks; it is only 25 yards from the house; when I went to Broughan's I cut the sticks and went back to Clanchy's with them; on my return Tom and his wife were in the house; I left Patt after me at Broughan's; I went home; my little boy remained at Tom Clanchy's; it was about 11 o'clock at that time I left; Heffernan's house was four miles off.

Thomas McNamara, son to the last witness, corroborated his father's testimony, adding that after his father went home, Tom Clanchy said he would go off to Linnane's to get his shoes mended; Linnane lived near the cross at Spancil-hill—he came back that day while witness was in the house, and brought rods with him to make gads for tying cows; he saw him go out to the cow house with them; remembers the Hogan's coming to the place while he was in the cow house; he did not go home until night fall; Tom Clanchy was in and out from the cow house, all the day; Paddy [Clanchy] assisted to break flax in the evening.

Thomas Ievers, Clanchy's servant boy, deposed to the same effect.

Michael Sullivan swore that the two Clanchys were in his house, about one o'clock, the day of the murder; they lived within 100 yards of his dwelling.

Thomas and Patrick Hogan swore that they went to Clanchy's house on the 13th December, about three and four o'clock, and were bargaining about a cow, but did not agree; both the Clanchys were there.

John McMahon swore that he saw Patt M'Mahon [newspaper error, should by Patt Clanchy] in Linnane's (the shoemaker's) house about one or two o'clock, and Michael Linnane corroborated this evidence.

Martin O'Connor swore that he met Patt Clanchy coming home from Linnane's, and walked part of the road with him.

Mr. Plunkett replied to evidence for the Crown.

The Chief Baron's charge occupied until nine o'clock, at which hour the Jury retired, and at ten came into court with a verdict of "not guilty," which was received with cheers by the crowds outside the court.

In consequence of this disrespectful exhibition, his Lordship directed the prisoners to be taken back to gaol until morning, when they were discharged.

The Court the adjourned.

Limerick Chronicle, Saturday, 19 July 1845
The first newspaper account of the July trial for the murder of Thomas Heffernan I had read was by the Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser. I was truly shocked that Thomas Clancy and Patrick Clancy were found to be not guilty, but this was only due to their very biased newspaper coverage. Under the title "The Crusheen Murder Case", the exact same headline as Patrick McNamara of Knocknamearicaun townland in 1880 (see page 44), they only noted that the defense attorney, Mr. Coppinger, had "addressed the jury for an hour and a half", but none of his actual speech. Plus, they provided the testimony of only one defense witness, Thomas McNamara. The more complete coverage by the Limerick Chronicle not only provided evidence of the innocence of the two accused, but additional clues on the location of the defendants' home townland as John McNamara, a neighbor of Thomas Clancy, stated that he lived four miles from the Heffernan's of Drumloughra.

The Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser did provide a few important clues. They reiterated that Thomas Clancy lived some four miles from Thomas Heffernan and also the location of the Heffernan home in relation to Derryvett Wood, an important clue as to the location of Thomas Heffernan's home in Drumloughra that the newspapers outside of Clare skipped over:
Henry Whitestone, Esq., Coroner, produced a map of the place where the murder was committed, the distance is 4¾ miles and some yards from [Thomas] Heffernans to [Thomas] Clanchy's to Heffernans; the wood of Derryvett to Tom Heffernans is ¼ mile distant 355 yards.

Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 17 July 1845
To the east of Knockreddan townland is Derryvett townland. In viewing the "modern map" on the askaboutireland website, the majority of Derrvett falls within a natural heritage area named "Oysterman's Marsh". On the "historical map" there were a cluster of home in the eastern portion of Derryvett townland, and at first I believed that this was where the Heffernan murder took place, and that the two assailants in making their escape travelled west crossing the wooden areas marked in the map. However, the cluster of homes on the historical map were a fair distance apart from each other. Plus, the surnames of those who lived there were not a good fit. Next, I considered a group of homes labeled "Derryveena" in Derrycalliff townland, north of Derryvett. However, Derrycalliff is in Quin-Clooney Parish, and thus could not possibly be the location of Drumloughra townland since it was identified as in Inchicronan Parish in the 1824 Tithes.

Viewing the historical map, a fairly close together grouping of five or six homes located in Plot 3 of Knockreddan townland was most surely called Drumloughra townland at the time of 1824 Tithe Applotments, as well as at the 1845 trial for the murder of Thomas Heffernan. Interestingly, at the time of 1855 Griffith Valuation, Plot 3 of Knockreddan, 133 acres, was held by Patrick Loughry. While I now know the exact location of "Drumloughra", it is still a mystery if the meaning was the "Hill of the Loughery's" or the "Hill of the Rushes", (luachair in Irish = rushes).

Plot 2 of Knockreddan was the location of Boscobel House, 51 acres, also held by Patrick Loughry (lessor for both plots 2 and 3 was James Butler). This Patrick Loughery was the grandfather of Patrick Loughery of the Crusheen Invincibles, who married Sarah Cotter in 1878 and, as a widower, Ellen Moloney, in 1885.

Heffernan's of Drumloughra (Knockreddan) townland of Inchincronan (Crusheen) Parish

1.0 Connor Heffernan

Reported along with Francis Heffernan and Michael McAllen as occupiers of Drumloughra townland on the 1824 Tithe Applotments.

There were three Heffernan houses in Dromloughera townland in December 1844, identified in the testimony of Connor Heffernan, the son of Michael Heffernan. Plus a fourth Heffernan house noted in the testimony of Nancy Heffernan, where Mrs. Catherine Heffernan lived with her daughter and son-in-law, John Clancy:
. . . I ran over to my own house [his father, Michael Heffernan's]; I ran up to the garden I know the little boreen (path way) between John Clanchy's and [Thomas] Heffernan's; I saw the two men go away; I was sitting by the fire when they went out of the house [Thomas Heffernan's]; I know Connor Heffernan's, it is the last on the village; they went down towards Connor Heffernan's; they did not go down the little road that leads to the potato garden, but went up the bog; I was a little start at the fire; I know the wood of Dervenane; I know the wood of Derrivett; Thomas Clanchy had his own coat on . . .

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 17 July 1845
"Connor Heffernan's" could possibly be the Connor Heffernan of Drumloughra townland in the 1824 Tithe Applotments. Or else possibly the Cornelius Heffernan (≈1809 - 1874) of nearby Gortaniska townland in the 1855 Griffith Valuation.

............ 1.1 Michael Heffernan, a first cousin of the murdered Thomas Heffernan, he did not testify at the trial. Since his son was named "Connor", very likely Michael was the son of Connor Heffernan as reported in the 1824 Tithe Applotments. Unknown wife, but she was still living in December 1844, as their son Connor ran to her after the murder.

........................... 1.1.1 Connor Heffernan (≈1835 - ?) according to 1845 trial testimony his age was between 8 and 12 years old, depending upon the newspaper.

Possibly, Michael Heffernan had a younger brother . . .

............ 1.2 Cornelius Heffernan (≈1809 - 1874) of neighboring Gortaniska townland. See 3.1 below for another possible relationship.

2.0 Unknown Heffernan married to Mrs. Catherine Heffernan (unknown maiden name)

The "Unknown Heffernan" could possibly be the Francis Heffernan reported in Drumloughra townland at 1824 Tithe Applotments, but no supporting evidence such as a grandchild named Francis.

Mrs. Catherine Heffernan was living with her unnamed married daughter, son-in-law John Clancy, as well as unmarried daughter Nancy Heffernan in 1844 / 1845. Prior to his murder, Thomas Heffernan, had gone to the authorities for an ejectment of both Catherine Heffernan (his own mother) and John Clancy (his brother-in-law), with a date of judgment of 19 November 1844.

Mrs. Catherine Heffernan might have been a McNamara, such that her granddaughter, Margaret, was a cousin of the Patrick McNamara family of Knockreddan (Plot 5 at Griffith Valuation) as reported in the 1851 census (see page 43).

............ 2.1 Thomas Heffernan (≈1784 - 1844)

A first cousin of Michael Heffernan (1.1 above). Thomas Heffernan was murdered in Drumloughra on the 13th of December 1844. "Heffernan was a small farmer, and about 60 years of age" according to the Cork Examiner of 18 December 1844. Unknown first wife, who died young, with whom Thomas had two children:

........................... 2.1.1 Margaret Heffernan, orphaned upon the murder of her father in 1844, quite likely the 14 year-old Margaret Heffernan reported as a cousin in the 1851 census of Patrick McNamara of Knockreddan (see page 43).

........................... 2.1.2 Patrick Heffernan, "a boy about five" according to the 1845 testimony of his step-mother, Mary Grady Heffernan.

The widower Thomas Heffernan was then was married to Mary Grady, sister of Patrick Grady (who lived "near the lake" according to the testimony of young Connor Heffernan). Both Grady siblings testified at the trial, but only Patrick Grady identified Thomas and Patrick Clancy as the assailants (something he failed to do at the start of the investigation).

............ 2.2 Nancy Heffernan, identified at the trial as the sister of the murdered Thomas Heffernan, and daughter of Mrs. Catherine Heffernan. She had been living in the John Clancy household with her mother, sister and brother-in-law.

........................... 2.2.1 Child Heffernan, born out of wedlock

............ 2.3 Unnamed Heffernan Daughter, in 1845 had been married to John Clancy (the brother of the two Clancy defendants) about two years according to trial testimony, or about 1843.

Possibly . . . the parents of:

........................... 2.3.1 Mary Clancy (age 45 in 1901, age 51 in 1911)

Mary Clancy, of Kilfidane, daughter of farmer John Clancy (deceased), married Martin McMahon, of Kilfidane, son of farmer John McMahon, on 29 May 1883, at the Catholic chapel in Ennis, by the parish priest Thomas Hogan; witnesses John Garvey and Minnie McMahon.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 996328.pdf

Martin McMahon and Mary Clancy were the parents of nine children, six living as reported in the 1911 census: <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; House 1>

........................................... 2.3.1.1 Thomas McMahon (age 17 in 1901) <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; House 1>
........................................... 2.3.1.2 Patrick McMahon (age 14 in 1901) <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; x>
........................................... 2.3.1.3 Bridget McMahon (age 12 in 1901) <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; House 1>
........................................... 2.3.1.4 Minnie McMahon (age 10 in 1901) <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; House 1>
........................................... 2.3.1.5 Catherine McMahon (age 6 in 1901) <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; House 1>
........................................... 2.3.1.6 Infant McMahon (1897 - 1897)
........................................... 2.3.1.7 Elizabeth McMahon (age 3 in 1901) <Kilvoydane South, Spancilhill, House 3; House 1>
........................................... 2.3.1.8 Unknown McMahon
........................................... 2.3.1.9 Unknown McMahon

Heffernan's of Gortaniska townland in Inchicronan (Crusheen) Parish

Gortaniska townland is north of Cappamore which is just north of Knockreddan.

3.0 John Heffernan (≈1790 ? - died prior to 1855)

Was named in the 1874 marriage of his son, Thomas.

Possibly, John Heffernan was also the father of Cornelius,

............ 3.1 Cornelius Heffernan (≈1809 - 1874), the tenant at Plot 32a (small garden, 2 shillings, lessor Patrick Reynolds) and Plot 32b (house and office, 10 shillings, lessor Austin Butler) of Gortaniska townland in Inchicronan parish in the 1855 Griffith Valuation. Connor Heffernan, of Gurtaniska, widower, age 65, labourer, died on 15 April 1874; informant Thomas Heffernan present at death Gurtaniska.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 248434.pdf

Cornelius Heffernan could possibly be the brother of Thomas Heffernan who was the informant in 1874 on his civil death record. In which case, Cornelius would also be the son of John Heffernan. However, they could just as likely be cousins. And Cornelius Heffernan (≈1809 - 1874) could possibly be the son of Conner Heffernan of Dromloughra townland of 1824 Tithe Applotment (1.0 above)?

............ 3.2 Thomas Heffernan (≈1817 - 1887) of Gurthaniska, "age 50", single, laborer, son of labourer John Heffernan, married Ellen Mullins, of Ballinruan, "age 30", single, daughter of labourer Patt Mullins on 3 February 1872 at the Catholic chapel at Crusheen by the curate Martin Meagher; witnesses John Fitzgibbon and Mary McEnery. There are no Heffernan children (of any Heffernan father) reported in the Crusheen baptism register of 1860-1900.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 145685.pdf

At the three trials of Patrick McNamara of Thimbletown, Gortnamearicaun townland in 1878, out of many witnesses on the day of the murder of Patrick Kearney, Thomas Heffernan was the only witness to positively identify McNamara as the assailant. Although acquitted three times for this murder, Patrick McNamara was exiled to the United States and settled in Jackson County, Michigan. See story on page 44 for his return to Ireland from exile in 1923.

Thomas Heffernan (≈1817 - 1887), a married farmer of Gortaniska, age 70, died on 28 February 1887, informant was Ellen Heffernan (≈1825 - 1900). Ellen Heffernan, a widow of a labourer, from Gortaniska, age 75, died at the Ennis Workhouse on 3 September 1900; informant Thomas O'Gloghlen of the workhouse.

The defense witnesses for Thomas Clancy and Patrick Clancy were able to establish a solid alibi for the brothers which led to their not guilty verdict. The residence of the Clancy brothers was never stated during the trial, other than it was four miles from Drumloughra townland. However, as neighbors, the testimony of the defense witnesses provided many important clues as to what townland the accused Clancy brothers were living in 1844.

To be continued,

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:25 pm

Hi Jimbo

Well done and Thank you for that slice of life from 1845. There was laughter in the courtroom, and such laughter by "superiors" often annoys me, but on this occasion I had to smile too.

Good work on the correct date (1824) for the Tithe Applotment of the parish of Inchicronan. And thank you very much for the link to the images on Family Search – it’s really good to be able to turn the pages. The locations of those placenames, which were deemed “unofficial” by the Ordnance Surveys, can be (roughly) determined by their proximity to those which were deemed “official”. In the transcription provided by Clare Library, the ordering of the placenames is the same. And this was a wise decision – it would have been a mistake to order them alphabetically. One thing that puzzles me about the Family Search reproduction is that the pages listing the landowners, as reproduced by the National Archives of Ireland, are not included:

Page 1: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00207.pdf
Page 2: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00208.pdf
Page 3: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00209.pdf
Page 4: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00210.pdf

I think these pages are important – For instance, Bryan Stapleton is recorded as a landowner in Calluragh, but not recorded elsewhere in the books for Inchicronan.

Moving on to the complete disappearance of the Heuchens, I agree that it is strange. This report on the archaeolgical excavation of a house in Derryboy, in Derrycaliff, states that “As is often widely the case, those families living in a locale at the Famine are completely replaced by incomers” (page 4): https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/clare ... report.pdf, so that is one explanation for the disappearance. I looked at MacLysaght’s The Surnames of Ireland, but did not find Heuchen there. I looked at the civil records of Births, Marriages and Deaths, and found only one Heuchen record in the whole of Ireland, i.e. the birth of a John Heuchan in the Union of Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo, in May 1902: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 739737.pdf But there were also the births of three Heuchans there in the same year, so Heuchan might be the more usual spelling of the name. I did a check of both versions of the name in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, but found neither. The families of those 4 children must have been living near Ballinrobe in 1901, but how did they spell the name in the census? I looked at the record of the birth of Ellen Heuchan and noted that her mother was Bridget Lally and address was Derassa. Then I found the marriage record of Bridget Lally to Michael Henehan registered in Ballinrobe in 1890: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 739737.pdf. Then I looked for Ellen, aged about 9, in 1911 and found an Ellen Heneghan, who fitted well, but she was aged 13, and she was also in the 1901 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... sa/704489/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... a/1576726/. Well, at that point I just gave up.
Anyway, there are no Henehans or Heneghans in Co. Clare in 1901, so, if Heuchen was changed to some other form of the name, it was something other than Heneghan, at least in Co. Clare. I wonder if it was changed to Heniher/Henniher? That is another name that is not in MacLysaght, but we know from the List of Freeholders 1821 that John, Owen, William and Michael Heniher were living in Boscobell: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ife_h3.htm.
Yet another explanation for the disappearance of the Heuchans is that they may have been living temporarily in Boscobel as caretakers or herds on the Butler estate there (Boscobel was a Butler house). One of the problems with Griffith’s Valuation is that herds are not named (being just employees of tenants or owners).

Good work on the Heffernan family tree, sourced entirely from the newspaper report of the courtcase. Good work making the connection with Thomas Heffernan, witness at the trial of Patrick McNamara – I had forgotten about him. As you say, there are no Heffernans in the Crusheen baptisms, so that’s another family that’s disappeared (from Crusheen, at least).

Good work on the locations of the families mentioned in the newspaper report. I agree that Derrycaliff is in Clooney parish, but I suspect that extended families had a leg in both Derrycaliff and over the border in Inchicronan (Crusheen). The border was a stream or river - the maps show stepping stones. You may have noticed, too, in that archaeological report, that Derryboy is described as being in Derrycaliff, Crusheen. Jimbo, we have done so many pieces of research now that we are beginning to meet some of it again. Regarding Martin Hogan, whose house was the subject of that report, you will remember that, in setting out the family tree of the Ahish McNamaras, Ballinruan, you referred to the marriage of Thomas Hogan, Martin’s son, to Margaret McNamara on 19 Feb 1879: Marriage of Thomas Hogan, aged 30, Farmer, Derrabuoy, son of Martin Hogan, Farmer, to Margaret McNamara, aged 24, Ahish, daughter of Thomas McNamara, Farmer, in Crusheen chapel; witnesses: James Garvey, Mary Hanrahan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 046427.pdf
Thomas Hogan died in 1921: 8 Nov 1921, at Derrybuie; Death of Thomas Hogan, married, aged 75, Farmer; informant: Thomas Hogan, son, Derrybuiue: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 394513.pdf. In the 1911 census, Thomas Hogan's house is categorised as 2nd class (with a kitchen and two other rooms, at least), so I think the Hogans must have moved from their old house at some stage.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:26 am

Hi Jimbo

Regarding the surname “Heuchen”, I can see now, looking at the original of the Tithe Applotment Books for Inchicronan, that Heuchen is a mistranscription of "Heniher". The “Heuchens” in Boscobell, and Hencher (no first name) in Ballyvanna are actually Henihers. (Similarly in the Co. Mayo census , Heuchen/Heuchan is just a mistranscription of Heneghan).
We see in the list of Clare Freeholders 1821 that the name is spelled Heniher for those living in Boscobell, and spelled Hennaher for the man (Patrick) living in Ballyvanna:: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ders_h.htm. In Griffith’s Valuation, there are no Henihers in the townland of Knockreddan (which contained the estate called Boscobell), but there is a Patrick Herriher in Ballyvanna. Patrick Herriher is leasing Lot 4 jointly with Thomas Linnane from Patrick Grady, who in turn is leasing from Reps of James B. Butler. They have a house each. The Crusheen baptisms show that Mary Heneher/Heniher was married to James* Linnane; address: Ballyvana. They were married sometime before 1864, as the baptism of their son Timothy (1862) shows. Their son, Richard Linnane, was born in 1870: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 220788.pdf. The Crusheen baptisms also show that a Jane Heniher was married to Edward/Edmund Butler; address: Derrymore, but, again, they were married before 1864, so there is no record of that marriage. Jane Butler née Heniher died on 8 Jan 1896, Derrymore: Death of Jane Butler, widow, aged 62; informant: Ned Butler, son of deceased, Derrymore: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 675579.pdf. Mary Linnane née Heniher, is still living in Ballyvana in 1901, aged 76: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... a/1068414/.
I found no Heniher birth, marriage or death, but there are so many variations of the name that I probably just did not get the spelling right. The records of the births of Jane’s children show that the name was spelled Heaniher, Hanaher and Henaher.

Edited to amend "John Linnane" to "James Linnane.

Sheila

P.S. I've now found that Hanagher is yet another version of the name. I found the baptism, on 6 Jun 1830, of a John Jones, son of William Jones and Briget Hanagher, Derrycaliff, in the Quin-Clooney baptisms 1816-1833. William Jones’s son, also William, married Mary Lyons on 1 Mar 1870: Marriage of William Jones, 33, Labourer, Boscobell, son of William Jones, dead, Labourer, to Mary Lyons, 30, servant, Caloura East, daughter of Timothy Lyons, dead, Tailor, in Crusheen chapel; witnesses: Patrick Halloran, Mary McNamara: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 176420.pdf. The Crusheen baptisms show that William and Mary lived in Boscobell (in the townland of Knockreddan). The baptisms show that a Mary Heniher was sponsor at the baptism of their son, Michael, on 23 Nov 1870.
Last edited by Sduddy on Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:17 pm

Sheila and Jimbo,

Another cascade of information and obscure data that could never be unearthed without your near-endless fount of determination and acquired knowledge from previous forays into the mysteries of rural old Clare and how many ways an Irish name becomes mangled or otherwise evolved over time.

I can add just a small addition, which one of you would eventually find anyway: the GV has a Denis Hanifer in Tulla village:

https://clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/g ... fithh1.htm

SMC