Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi Paul

I agree with Jimbo that you have a far better chance of finding useful information about Patrick McNamara in the U.S than in Ireland. I found a couple of Pat McNamaras, who were born about 1846, in the Tulla baptisms, but I have no further records for either of them:
1. In the 1846-1862 register I found Patrick MacNamara of Martin MacNamara and Judy McMahon, no address, baptised 5 March 1847; sponsors: Harry McMahon, Cate Fahy: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... mode/1up.I found no siblings for Patrick.

2. Also in the 1846-1862 register I found Patt McNamara of Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham, Shanavagha, baptised 29 April 1846; sponsor: Anne McGrath: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 6/mode/1up.
Shannavaughna was situated in the north-west upland area of the townland of Glendree – see the Ejectment Books for Tulla Parish (very often these ejectments were threats of ejectment, rather than actual ejectments): https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... /tulla.htm
The earlier 1819-1846 baptism register shows that a Michael McNamara and Mary Cunningham (couple) lived in Glendree and had children there (Margaret baptised on 22 Jun 1828, and Michael baptised on 4 Oct 1835), but, with so many McNamaras living in Tulla parish, we can’t be sure if these are also the parents of Patt (in 1846).

Sheila

Edit made 3 Sep 2022: I see now that Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon had at least 5 other children:
3 Dec 1836: Winifred McNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree.
7 Jun 1839: Mary MacNamara of Martin MacNamara and Jane McMahon.
16 Jul 1840: Patrick McNamara* of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree.
29 Sep 1843: Anne McNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon.
?? Sep 1845: Michael McNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree.

*Patrick born 1840 must have died in infancy – thus the child born in 1847 was named Patrick.
Last edited by Sduddy on Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:15 pm

OF MRS ANNE MACK, (maiden name Anne Nash,) and her three daughters, Bridget, Margaret, and Johana, natives of Raughmane, parish of Mungret, county Limerick; when last heard from, 5 years ago, was in Vermont with Bridget. Margaret and Johana landed 3 years ago. Information respecting her, or any of the children, will be received by her son Mathew, care of P H Reordan, Lexington, Ky.

Boston Pilot, publication date 30 August 1856
Without the above 1856 missing advertisement in the Boston Pilot, it would have been very challenging, if not impossible, to trace Mathew "Red Mack" McNamara back to his origins in Ireland. USA evidence was key. But can we be sure that the Mathew McNamara searching for his mother and three sisters was in fact "Red Mack"? Yes, I believe so. There are not that many McNamara's in Lexington compared to New York. And "Mathew" is not that common of a name as, say, "John". Plus, it appears as a general immigration trend that many of the Irish had arrived in Kentucky in the early to mid 1850's.

Initially, the first record I could find of Mathew McNamara living in Lexington was a 1862 tax assessment relating to his liquor store. But now I'm also certain that Mathew was reported in the 1860 census (taken on 9 July 1860) in Lexington as "Mathew McMomary", born in Ireland, age 40 (born ≈1820), day laborer, real estate value of $1,200, personal estate value of $100. In the same household was "Mary McMomary" (age 40, born in Ireland), "Patrick Oconnil" (age 8, Kentucky), and Mary OConnil (age 12, Kentucky).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZBJ-9BQ

Family relationships are not provided in the 1860 census, and there are a few different options for Mathew:

• Mathew McNamara was married to the widow, Mrs. Mary O'Connell, and living with two step-children. However, there is no civil marriage record to be found in Kentucky for their marriage.
• Mathew was not married when living with Mrs. Mary O'Connell, she was a widow and only reported as "Mary McMomary" to add more respectability to the household. Similar to John J. Riley (Mathew's future wife's first cousin) in the 1910 census who was living with Maude Blandin, but she was reported by the census taker as "Maude Riley".
• A widowed sister who reverted to her maiden name (unlikely).

In July 1863, a "M McNamara", married, age 34, born in Ireland, occupation "coffee house", was registered for the Civil War draft, living at Lexington, Kentucky.

Mathew McNamara married Bridget Williams at St. Paul's on 9 February 1864, witnesses James Williams (likely her elder brother) and Margaret Connell. In civil and parish marriage records from 1864, there was no question/indication of whether or not a groom had been married previously. A widow bride might be indicated by the prefix "Mrs.".

Regardless of the marital status of Mathew McNamara at the 1860 census and 1863 Civil War registration, I am certain that the 1856 missing advertisement was related to Mathew "Red Mack" McNamara of Lexington. In the 1870 census, Mathew McNamara (age 48), a saloonkeeper, has two children: Mathew McNamara (age 4) and Thomas McNamara (age 3). By naming his first born son "Mathew", there is a good chance that Mathew "Red Mack" McNamara was the son of a Mathew McNamara.

"Raughmane" reported on the 1856 missing advertisement does not exist according to google. In viewing an alphabetical listing of all townlands in County Limerick, the nearest phonetically was "Loughanleagh" and a distant second "Rathmale"; two townlands adjacent to each other in the parish of Mungret. The Catholic parish of Mungret has baptism records only starting in 1844. In searching the Griffith Valuation reports for any McNamara's living in Mungret Parish, surprisingly there were two leaseholders named Matthew McNamara in both Rathmale and Loughanleagh, with Robert W. Studdert the lessor of both. Their plots are quite close together but are separate households.

1) Rathmale; Mathew McNamara; plot 8a; house, offices, and land; over 12 acres; valuation over £16.

Matthew McNamara, of Rathmeal, widower, age 73, farmer, died on 17 April 1872, informant was the coroner (Limerick registration district).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 273472.pdf

Michael McNamara, of Rathxxxxxxxx (difficult), age 22, farmer, son of Mathew McNamara, married Mary Ann Lynch, of Ballydoole, age 22, daughter of Thomas Lynch, on 2 February 1869, at the Catholic chapel at Pallas Henry, Rathkeale, County Limerick; witnesses James Bresnahan and Ellen Hurley (Rathkeale registration district).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 193126.pdf

Michael McNamara (≈1847 - 1906) and Mary Lynch (≈1847 - after 1911) of Rathmale were the parents of 13 children, 10 of who survived, according to the widow Mrs. Mary McNamara in 1911.

1901 Census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1495373/
1906 Death Record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 562932.pdf
1911 Census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... le/624095/

Since Mathew McNamara of Rathmale died in 1872, it would be inconceivable that in the early 1850's his wife would go to America. Thus, this Mathew McNamara was not married to Mrs. Anne Nash McNamara, last heard from in Vermont.

2) Loughanleagh; Mathew McNamara; plots 1ABC; house and land; about 8 acres; valuation over £13.

There are no further McNamara's in Loughanleagh townland in the 1901 census or other records. There are two civil death records for a Matthew McNamara in County Limerick not yet viewable on-line: in 1866 (age 63) and in 1867 (age 63) — I suspect these individuals were not from Loughanleagh.

As with the McNamara's from County Cork discussed previously, it would be good to know the exact year of when the Griffith Valuation for Mungret Parish was taken. Most likely in the early 1850's, but the exact year makes a big difference. Was the Mathew McNamara of Loughanleagh townland, the husband of Mrs. Anne Nash McNamara? Or their son, who I believe to be Mathew "Red Mack" MacNamara?

"Mrs. Anne Mack" of the 1856 missing advertisement appears to be a widow. She had been in the USA about 5 years, so arrived about 1851. I doubt very much she would leave Loughanleagh if her husband was still living in Ireland. So the timing of when the Griffith Valuation report for Mungret was taken is critical to determine the identity of this Mathew. If GV was taken in 1849 or 1850 for Mungret Parish, then the Mathew McNamara reported in Loughanleagh townland, might well be the husband of Anne Nash McNamara.

However, if Griffith Valuation was taken after Anne Nash McNamara left for America, then I believe it was their son reported at Loughanleagh townland, who I believe is Mathew "Red Mack" McNamara. Mathew remained behind in Ireland in an effort to keep their land. Initially only the widow Mrs. Anne Mack and daughter Bridget went to Vermont. His knowledge of his mother and sister Bridget, "last heard from five years ago", or 1851, was the last time they sent him money from Vermont or perhaps when they left Limerick. Likely living in poverty and struggling to pay the rent, his two other sisters were the next to leave, "Margaret and Johana landed 3 years ago", or about 1853, with the promise to send money back to their brother. Poor Mathew didn't receive any word, or money, from his mother or sisters, and eventually had to abandon Loughanleagh and go to America, arriving about 1855.

This theory would depend upon Mathew's age, which was generally reported in the 1820's, old enough to be a lease holder in Griffith Valuation: 1860 census (≈1820); 1863 Civil War registration (≈1829); 1870 census (≈1822); 1880 census (≈1845, the only outlier); 1887 findagrave (≈1823, but unsure source). Based on his reported age in most records, I reckon the theory that Matthew McNamara of Lexington was the leaseholder of Loughanleagh could at least be plausible.

Did Mathew McNamara of Lexington ever reunite with his mother and three sisters?

Mathew McNamara, Sr., (died prior to 1851) and Anne Nash (last heard from in Vermont in 1851) were the parents of at least four children:

Unknown birth order since all their children would have been born prior to the 1844 start of Mungret Catholic parish baptism records.

1.0 Mathew McNamara (≈1820 ish - 1887), married Bridget Williams in 1864 at St. Paul's in Lexington, Kentucky; ten children. See family tree on page 38 for details.

2.0 Bridget McNamara, when last heard from, in 1851, was in Vermont with her mother.

3.0 Margaret McNamara, when last heard from, in 1853, was in the USA with her sister, Johana.

4.0 Johana McNamara, when last heard from, in 1853, was in the USA with her sister, Margaret.

Why did Mathew McNamara of Mungret Parish go to Lexington, Kentucky?

The 1856 missing advertisement for Mrs. Anne Mack and her three daughters, stated "care of P H Reordan, Lexington, Ky." His Reordan contacts were from County Limerick, but not that close to Loughanleagh townland in Mungret Parish. This research didn't lead to much, except for a new route to get to Kentucky. The prior immigrants to Lexington appear to have arrived in New Orleans and went up the Mississippi, but traveling via New York appears to have been an option.

According to the headstones at Calvary Cemetery in Lexington for Patrick H Reordan (1823 - 1884) and his wife Ellen D. F. Reordan (1829 - 1904), they were born in "Maidenhall, County Limerick" and "Adare, Limerick", respectively.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/962 ... -h-reordan
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/962 ... -f-reordan

Loughanleigh is only about 4 miles southwest of the City of Limerick. Adare is less than 10 miles south of Loughanleigh. Maidenhall is not on the list of Limerick townlands, I could only find it referenced in Effin townland, close to the border with County Cork, and about 25 miles south of Loughanleigh townland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effin

Based on the detailed obituary Mrs. Ellen D. F. Reordan, her husband was a prosperous Lexington businessman and appears to have sent for Ellen from Limerick as they met up in Albany, New York where they immediately got married. "She was born in Adair, county Limerick, Ireland, where she passed the early part of her life. She was married in Albany, N.Y., to the late P.H. Reordan in 1852, coming immediately to Lexington, where her husband was engaged in successful business until his death, leaving the widow in comfortable circumstances" (Lexington Leader, Kentucky, 30 September 1904).

After getting married in 1852, the Reordan's would likely have taken a boat cruise via canal, lake, and river for their honeymoon. I could be wrong on the details of their journey, but it is interesting to consider their options. From Albany to Buffalo via the Erie Canal. Then by boat on Lake Erie to get from Buffalo, N.Y., to Cleveland, Ohio. Then taken the Ohio and Erie Canal from Cleveland south down to Akron, Ohio, and the base of the Ohio River which would have taken them all the way to Lexington, Kentucky. If anyone has a better option on how in 1852 the Reordan honeymooners would get from Albany to Lexington, please let me know.

Mathew "Red Mack" of Mungret Parish in County Limerick, and later Lexington, lived about 60 miles north of the "Black" McNamara's of Watergrasshill Parish in County Cork, and later Lexington. As noted from the baptism records of St. Paul's Catholic Church in Lexington, the two families appear to have no family connection.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 am

Hi Jimbo

You’ve scored a hat-trick. You found the origins of the Black McNamaras and the John McNamaras in Co. Cork, and now you’ve found the origins of the Red McNamaras in Mungret, Co. Limerick.
I agree that Mathew McMomary in the 1860 census is Mathew McNamara - ever since you found William Malley under “Maleagh” in Winneshiek county, Iowa, I have faith in your ability to decipher a surname. Matthew gives his age as 40, which means he was born abt. 1820, and would have been age 44 when he married Bridget Williams in 1864 – I feel sure it was his second marriage, if not third. I agree that he could easily be one of the two Mathew McNamaras leasing farms in Mungret (Griffith's Valuation), and, if so, he is Mathew McNamara in Loughanleagh.
How did Mathew get to Kentucky? Here is a map of Charles Dickens’s first* journey in America in 1842: https://www.charlesdickenspage.com/char ... -1842.html, but of course Dickens would have wanted to take in the big cities. Mathew was travelling a decade later and probably opted for the shortest route.
* When Dickens made his second trip to America in 1867, he was much less critical.

Jimbo, that notice in the newspaper was a great find.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:58 am

Hi Sheila,

Very good. Yes, of course, Mathew "Red Mack" McNamara had previously been married when he and Bridget Williams were married at St. Paul's in Lexington on 9 February 1864. The 1860 census and my various alternatives as to who was who, left out the most obvious. "Mathew McMomary", age 40, and "Mary McMomary", age 40, were indeed married, but Mathew had not married a widow, Mrs. O'Connell, and the two young children were not his step-children. I had come to this revised conclusion yesterday and researched the Mungret parish records accordingly to confirm this theory:

Mathew McNamara (≈1820 - 1887) and Mary Caffrey (≈1820 - ≈1863) were married in Mungret Parish prior to the 27 November 1844 start of the Mungret Catholic parish marriage register.

There is a James Caffrey in plot 8 of Loughanleagh townland; house and land; over 10 acres; £16 valuation. James "Jacobus" Caffrey and Margaret Boland appear as parents in Mungret parish baptism register. James Caffrey, I reckon, was most likely the brother of Mary Caffrey, but possibly her father.

The Caffrey surname is not so common in County Limerick; in the 1901 census there were only 17 individuals. Many more resided in Dublin. A "Pat Caffrey", widower, age 86, was living in 1901 in Islanduane townland, Ballycummin, which is only a 10 minute walk from Loughanleagh townland. But this Pat Caffrey, who married Maria Donovan in January 1845, was more likely a descendant of the Robert Caffrey of Islanduane townland in Griffith Valuation.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1495364/

Mathew McNamara (≈1820 - 1887) and Mary Caffrey (≈1820 - ≈1863) were the parents of three children in the Mungret Parish baptism records (which start on 3 November 1844):

1.0 Margaret McNamara (1846 - prior to 1860), Margarita was baptized on 14 April 1846, father "Matheo McNamara", mother "Maria Cafry"; sponsors Joanne Kelly and Cath. Kelly.

2.0 Joanna McNamara (1849 - prior to 1860), Joanna was baptized on 1 February 1849, father "Matheo McNamara", mother "Maria Caffry"; sponsors Jeremiah Bresnahan and Joanna McNamara (Mathew's sister?).

3.0 Matheus McNamara (1852 - prior to 1860), Matheus was baptized on 19 April 1852, father "Matheo McNamara", mother "Maria Cafrey"; sponsors Patrick Kelly and Margarita Kelly.

The three McNamara children were born during the Great Famine, so perhaps not too surprising that none appear to have survived by the 1860 census. Whether any of the children arrived in the United States in the mid-1850's is a possibility but without a passenger listing would be difficult to prove. There is a slight possibility that Margaret or Joanna were left behind in Ireland with relatives. Mathew McNamara with his second wife, Bridget Williams, had another son named Mathew in 1866, so the Mathew born in 1852 must have died young.

Since every McNamara has been identified in Lexington, I am confident that the "M. McNamara", married, age 34, born in Ireland, occupation "coffee house", in the July 1863 Civil War register of Lexington, was indeed Mathew "Red Mack" McNamara. If his marital status was accurate, and he was not a widower, then there was a very short window between when Mary Caffrey McNamara died (after July 1863) and when Mathew McNamara married Bridget Williams, 20 years his junior, on 9 February 1864. Mathew McNamara and Bridget Williams would have ten children over the next eighteen years.

Neither the 1860 or 1870 census identify family relationships of household members. This new research into the relationships of Mathew McNamara of Lexington in 1860, has made me revise my theory of Patrick McNamara, living in Cleveland in the 1870 census with the "Besserman" family. Was "Johanna Besserman" the mother of Patrick McNamara? Nope, "D. Besserman" was an uncle of Patrick McNamara, I do declare.

Was the 1856 missing advertisement in the Boston Pilot successful in locating Mathew McNamara's mother, Anne Nash McNamara, or any of his three sisters, Bridget, Margaret, and Johanna?

As mentioned above, Mathew McNamara was reckoned to have married Mary Caffrey about 1843 or 1844, prior to the start of Mungret Parish marriage records. Could any of his three sisters in the early 1840's (prior to November 1844) also gotten married in Mungret Parish prior to their arrival in the USA? The wording of the 1856 missing advertisement would not necessarily preclude a McNamara sister from having been married.

Who were Patrick O'Connell (age 8 ) and Mary O'Connell (age 12) living in Lexington with Mathew and Mary McNamara in the 1860 census? Could the O'Connell children have been the nephew and niece of Mathew McNamara? Were they both really born in Kentucky as reported in the census? Especially Mary O'Connell, the 12 year old, who was born around 1848. I have doubts her Irish parents (based solely on the surname) would have already arrived in Kentucky by 1848. So far, most of the Irish families that have been researched arrived in Lexington in the early 1850's. Plus, I can't find Mary O'Connell in the 1850 census for Kentucky.

When Mathew McNamara married Bridget Williams on 9 February 1864, one marriage witness was James Williams, clearly the brother of Bridget Williams. Was the other witness, Margaret Connell, the sister of Mathew McNamara who he was searching for in the 1856 advertisement?

Mathew McNamara and Bridget Williams were the parents of ten children. Who was the baptism sponsor in 1866, named Mrs. Bridget Houlihan? Who was the baptism sponsor in 1870, named Mrs. Bridget Savage? Could one of these baptism sponsors have been Bridget, the sister of Mathew McNamara who he was searching for in the 1856 advertisement?

Did Mathew McNamara of Loughanleagh and Lexington ever reunite with his mother and three sisters?

To be continued.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:54 am

Hi Jimbo

You took a lot of trouble looking at the baptism register for evidence of a previous marriage by Mathew McNamara and you were rewarded. I do think that Joanna McNamara, sponsor for baby Joanna, was Mathew’s sister. It does appear that baby Mathew (b. 1852) had died young and I suppose it’s possible that the two girls had also died by 1860 (I am reluctant to kill people off ever since Cornelius Meally had to be rescued from me). And I agree that Mary McMomary is most likely Mary Caffrey.
About the sponsors for Mathew’s second family (in Lexington), I think we must allow that some are friends or relatives of Bridget Williams, and that the Connell children might be her relatives rather than relatives of Mathew. About the O'Connell witness at the marriage of Mathew and Bridget in 1864, I know that the witnesses at marriages represented both sides of the partnership, usually, but Mathew may not have had any relatives in Lexington in 1864.

About Mrs. Bridget Houlihan, she might be Bee Kehoe, wife of Edmund Houlihan, Lexinton: Their grave is in Calvary Cemetery: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/365 ... d-houlihan
There are Savages in that cemetery too, but I don’t see a Bridget Savage. This is one of several Savages: Michael Savage, Calvary Cemetery, Lexington, Kentucky (1833-1908): https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/676 ... ael-savage.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:50 pm

Hi Paul,

As I was looking through the latest batch of Irish Link advertisements, published 1991-1994 (https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... s31-40.htm), I noticed mention of a James Dillon born in Glan. This Glan is Glenletternafinny (townland) in the parish of Kilmaley*. It appears from the advertisement that Glenletternafinny was known to all as Glan. I looked through the transcriptions of the Kilmaley parish baptisms, and saw several mentions of Glan, but did not see any McNamaras living there. Then I looked at the Tithe Applotment Book for Kilmaley (1826): https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ey_tab.htm. This book includes placenames that are not included in Griffith’s Valuation (1856). There I saw that there was also a place called Glaunblonnnega & Letteragh, and I saw that there was a James McNamara living there. Here, in the original document, you will see James as “Jas.”: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00106.pdf.
*Helpful information on the parish of Kilmaley: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ilmaly.htm

Just thought I’d let you know about Glan in Kilmaley – you can file it away.

Sheila

pmac7186@gmail.com

Post by pmac7186@gmail.com » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:43 pm

Thanks all for your help. I can see that without any more USA knowledge that we are not able to confirm Patrick’s Irish birth. I will continue to look and try to find more 3rd and 4th cousins that may help me. My DNA results are just as unsatisfactory. According to FamilyTreeDNA the closest common ancestor is 1,800 years ago give or take 400 years. That should narrow it down.

I am looking to find male McNamara’s to take a Y DNA tests. I am working with Paddy Waldron trying to give some incentives so we can increase those tested. :) 😎

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:45 pm

Above, on this same screen/page, Sheila wrote, as she searched upper East Clare RC baptism registers for a Patrick McNamara v.c.1846:

"1. In the 1846-1862 register I found Patrick MacNamara of Martin MacNamara and Judy McMahon, no address, baptised 5 March 1847; sponsors: Harry McMahon, Cate Fahy: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... mode/1up. I found no siblings for Patrick.

Edit made 3 Sep 2022: I see now that Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon had at least 5 other children:
3 Dec 1836: Winifred McNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree.
7 Jun 1839: Mary MacNamara of Martin MacNamara and Jane McMahon.
16 Jul 1840: Patrick McNamara* of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree.
29 Sep 1843: Anne McNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon.
?? Sep 1845: Michael McNamara of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon, Glandree.

*Patrick born 1840 must have died in infancy – thus the child born in 1847 was named Patrick."

I know this family well. I share DNA with their descendants (as determined by AncestryDNA - to date, two living children (J.P. & Patricia) of Martin & Johanna's great-grandson James Marcus McNamara of Washington State. At the time I discussed this family back in 2018 when this thread started (screen/page 1) in my post of Feb 17th, paragraph "B," I was following them because I was tracking McMahon of Feakle to Wisconsin (and subsequently I learned via 23andMe that I share DNA with a McMahon family of Feakle). I continue to be active with this, and in fact I will attempt to recruit its McNamara men into the FTDNA Y-DNA McNamara project. I just let Patricia know today that I am a DNA mutual cousin; let's see if she responds. I have email addresses for two other descendants who have posted online about their genealogy. None of them show that a Patrick b.c. 1847 made it to America, although they do show Michael of 1846 and Mary of 1840. In fact, Sheila, your parish transcriptions are their first inkling (that I just relayed to Patricia) that the Martin-Johanna marriage occurred before 1840, their best guess so far. Your work (all those hundreds of hours) has provided them a major insight into the earliest chapter of the family. Congratulations and actually thanks very much from me too, as their distant cousin.

P.S. 2 attempts to have a son named Patrick, including the first-born son ? Points to Martin's father being a Patrick.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:21 am

Hi Sharon

Yes, Martin McNamara from Feakle and Judy McMahon from Glendree were married on 14 Feb 1836: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 4/mode/1up. Martin and Judy lived in Glendree (as baptisms of their children show), so Martin must have “married in.” I think Martin must have been born sometime in the first 15 years of the 19th century. I thought I might find records of the deaths of Martin and Judy, so I looked at deaths registered in Tulla (inc. those listed under “Galway”) that would fit with that time frame, and found only one, i.e. Martin McNamara who died in Uggoon (adjacent to Glendree), in 1878, aged 81, a widower. His death was reported by Patt McNamara (no relationship given): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 190599.pdf. I think this Martin is a bit too old to be the Martin who married in 1836, plus Jimbo has figured that “Martin” should be “Matthew,” based on the transfer of a McNamara farm in Uggoon*. I looked for the death of Judy bearing in mind that she might be called Judith, Joanna, Jane, Susan, and found a Judy McNamara, who died 1883, aged 74, and whose death was registered in Tulla, but listed online under Galway – Alas, the image (for Waterford) is all wrong. That record would probably have given her address and would help to further confirm that Martin, who had died a widower in Uggoon, in 1878, was not her husband.
*Griffith’s Valuation 1856) for Uggoon, Upper: Matthew McNamara, Lots 13 and 14.
Glendree Rate Book (1926) for Uggoon Upper: Patrick McNamara, Lots 13 and 14.

Sharon, it’s good to hear that you have found a relationship to the descendants of Martin and Judy. I think Paul will be encouraged by your success.

Sheila

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:46 pm

Jimbo, Griffith's Valuation for the Barony of Pubblebrien, including the parish of Mungret, is dated 9 Nov 1850. I was able to establish this using the trick outlined by John Grenham at
https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2017/0 ... precisely/

Sharon, thank you so much for your efforts to recruit McNamaras to the DNA project. Feel free to give them my email address so that I can arrange the promised discount from funds donated by Paul.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:04 am

Paddy, it's good to know of DNA testing funds for McNamara men and the ability to contact you via email. It may take a while to reach the right candidates, but I will chip away at it.

Sheila, while I have several notes on the Martin McNamara-Johanna/Judy McMahon family since they and their children lived in several different regions in the U.S., I mention just the final resting places of the parents, one of which is the very place where I lived for 16 years and where all 3 of my children were born: Yakima, Washington state (WA). Additional information from other sources is placed in brackets.

History of the Yakima Valley, Washington; comprising Yakima, Kittitas, and Benton Counties .."Vol. II
S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1919
http://www.archive.org/stream/historyof ... a_djvu.txt
pp. 711-12
"Thomas C. McNamara, one of the leading orchardists of Yakima county, whose progressive spirit is manifest in the excellent results which have attended his efforts, was born in Dayton, Ohio, July 26, 1854, a son of Martin and Johanna (McNahan) McNamara, both of whom were natives of Ireland. They came to the United States in l849 and established their home in Wisconsin. Later they removed to Dayton, Ohio, but subsequently returned to Wisconsin, settling in Manitowoc county in 1856. There they lived until 1876. when they went to Nebraska, where the father engaged in farming to the time of his death, which occurred in 1893, when he had reached the advanced age of eighty-four years. The mother afterward [1901] died at the [Washington state] home of her son Thomas, when she had reached the notable old age of ninety-three years.

Thomas C. McNamara acquired a public school education in Wisconsin and through his youthful days was with his father upon the home farm, there remaining until 1885, at which time his father deeded him one hundred and sixty acres of land. He was obliged to give up his farm, however, through losses entailed by the hog cholera. He afterward went to Sterling, Colorado, where he followed railway construction work, and he took up a homestead in Weld county, Colorado. He subsequently removed to Utah, where he assisted in building a big canal near Bear creek. Later he engaged in railway work again, teaming and doing contract work in connection with buildings. It was always his desire, however, to obtain land and have a home for himself. Selling his team, he went to Montana in 1892 and there entered upon railway work in connection with the Great Northern. He was next at Anaconda, Montana, where he was employed in the smelters for two and a half years. He had heard much concerning the Yakima country and came to the district to look at it, arriving in the city of Yakima on the 20th of June, 1898. He had previously been in twenty different states of the Union and was more pleased with the Yakima valley than any other district which he had ever seen...The land was all wild and undeveloped, being covered with sagebrush, and no one considered the hills worth anything. Mr. McNamara, however, cleared twenty acres of his land...and thereon raised a good crop of potatoes, onions and alfalfa...in 1908 he planted ten acres to apples. He has since sold all of his land save fifty acres and he now has twenty-five acres planted to fruit trees and is numbered among the leading orchardists of this section of the state..." [much later, he moved elsewhere and died 1939 in a coastal WA town. As for me, my allergic reaction to sagebrush (Russian thistle) was a major factor requiring my move away from Yakima] (end of article)

Back in Manitowoc County WI, a McNamara married an O'Brien at a time when Clare immigrants were present in numbers (before most dispersed to other U.S. regions). I kept this note on her because she was of an age to be Martin's sister, now more likely because of her mother's name, in view of the 1836 Tulla Parish baptism showing that Martin named his first daughter Winifred (just a little out of the usual order):
Mary McNamara O'Brien, listed in Wisconsin Burials and Death 1835-1968
birth: 1 Oct 1819 Ireland
death: 24 Oct 1900 Maple Grove (Manitowoc Co.) WI
father: Patrick McNamara
mother: Winifred
spouse: John O'Brien

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Sharon

Small wonder I couldn’t find Martin and Judy/Joanna in the Tulla death records!
I was delighted to read the biographical piece you sent. Thank you for typing the most important part. I’ve added the rest for anyone who is interested in Thomas’s marriage and children:

His orchards are in splendid condition. They present a most beautiful picture in blossom time and one of equal loveliness when the fruit hangs heavy on the trees. He cares for his fruit in the most systematic and progressive manner and his sales annually reach a large figure.
On the 27th of November, 1884, Mr. McNamara was married to Miss Catherine Hanlon, who was born in Nebraska City, a daughter of Edward and Catherine McGraw Hanlon, both of whom are natives of Ireland, whence they came to America when young people and were married in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. About 1853 they arrived in Nebraska, being numbered among its pioneers. They lost all of their goods in the Mississippi river while crossing by boat, but notwithstanding this early handicap, Mr. Hanlon became an extensive and successful farmer of Nebraska, where he took up a homestead near Dunbar. Later he sold that property and purchased a large ranch ten miles south of Nebraska City. Both he and his wife have now passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. McNamara have been born seven children: Mary Rosalia, the deceased wife of John Lynch, an attorney at Yakima; Thomas Albertus, who is ranching on the Ahtanum and is married and has three children; Ellen Johanna, who died at the age of seven years and eight months while the family were in Montana; Edward Patrick, a rancher near Toppenish, who has a wife and two children; Martin Marcus, a sergeant in the Signal Corps of the United States army, now [1919] in France; John James, who is ranching with his brother; and Bernard Joseph at home.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:30 pm

Sheila, I am glad that you found the Yakima portion of Thomas C. McNamara's biography so interesting. I should add that that during my practice of law in Yakima I had occasion to take with attorney Mike Lynch of Yakima (likely Thomas's descendant) a groundbreaking case before the state's highest court. The case established a higher regard for wishes of dementia-ridden patients in life-threatening circumstances for which there is more than one legitimate treatment mode. https://casetext.com/case/in-re-ingram-14#p1370 Appointed as a special representative for the involved patient, I looked into all her circumstances and formed an opinion as to what the court should order as her treatment. The judge decided otherwise, because there was clearly a best treatment and there was no guidance in law at the time as to how to decide against a best treatment mode.

Attorney Lynch, who was the patient's appointed lawyer, joined with me on the appeal, and only 4 days after the judge's decision, we appeared before a panel of 9 justices of the state Supreme Court, to argue for the patient's right to be heard by the judge before an order directing excision of her vocal cords. Mr. Lynch (approximately my age) joined with me in asserting that existing state law on an amputation fit the facts of the case, as that would highlight the extreme nature of the judge's decision, making it reasonable and even imperative that the judge hear directly from the patient her wishes, if the patient was lucid and otherwise well enough to speak on the day of a hearing (Mrs. Ingram had been and I had requested that). Although this case established precedent in mental health law, for me it was a win for the independent judgment of women to be respected, since her son's attorney (Countryman, arguing against any such regard or right) stated to me privately that Mrs. Ingram was no more entitled to such regard than a dog. Stupid to say that, because that created the motivation to research and write my side of the case in just 3 days and then to be firm and compelling during questioning before 9 justices, in my first Supreme Court case. Side note: Dr. Murphy, an ear-nose-throat specialist, later became my family's doctor for both my allergy and the ear tubes required by all 3 children, and Mrs. Ingram eventually opted for the best treatment, after she had won the right to make her own choice.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:29 am

Hi Sharon,
Thank you. You have an impressive career and you have some good memories of Yakima County, in spite of the sagebrush.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:01 pm

Many of the apples sold in American supermarkets are no doubt from Yakima, Washington. Very delicious. Sheila, I was curious about Irish apples, and with a quick google search discovered that Ireland imports about 95% of its apples, from as far away as New Zealand, South Africa and Chile (but none from Washington state?). The opposite is true for the USA which imports only 5% of its apples, probably off-season from New Zealand.

Also very interested to read how Thomas C. McNamara, the son of Martin McNamara and Judy McMahon of Glandree, worked in numerous states and finally ended up in Yakima, Washington. Coincidentally, John McNamara (1869 - 1910) of Lexington, the son of Thomas McNamara (≈1833 - ≈1884) and Ellen McGovern (≈1834 - prior to 1884), and grandson of Denis McNamara (≈1780 - after 1860) and Honora Sheehan (≈1800 - ≈1884) of Watergrasshill Parish in County Cork, ended up leaving Lexington and worked for the railways in Yakima. John McNamara died there in June 1910.

Sharon, back in Maple Grove, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, I agree with you that the Mary McNamara married to John O'Brien was very likely a sibling of Martin McNamara, of Feakle, married to Judy McMahon, of Glandree. According to the 1860 census, two of their daughters, Bridget O'Brien (age 14) and Mary O'Brien (age 12), were born in Ireland. Mary McNamara would have married John O'Brien in her home parish (Feakle, if a brother of Patrick), thus, no marriage record exists since Feakle marriage records only begin in 1860.

1860 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MW93-8B4

On the findagrave website, for John O'Brien who died on 23 March 1885, and was buried at St. Patrick cemetery in Maple Grove, a description of unknown source states "a native of Feitl, Co. Clare, Ire.", which appears to be an attempt at "Feakle".

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110 ... hn-o'brien

Sometimes a record might state that a person was from "Feakle" parish, but actually be from "Caher Feakle" parish. The 1937 obituary for Bridget O'Brien Noonan stated "born in Ireland February second, 1847, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John O'Brien, she came to this country at the age of two" (Middletown Times Herald, New York, 11 February 1937). Bridget O'Brien (age 14 in 1860) and Mary O'Brien (age 12) do not appear in the Caher Feakle baptism records, which begins in 1842, so likely baptized in Feakle parish with records starting in 1860. With Feakle baptism and marriage records starting so late in Feakle parish, USA records are key to prove that Mary McNamara O'Brien and Martin McNamara, both residing in Maple Grove, were siblings.

When Thomas McNamara returned to Wisconsin in 1882 from his new home in Nebraska, his brother Martin gets a mention, but also "relatives in Maple Grove", but the local news wasn't always the most accurate:
Maple Grove.
A rumor is going the rounds here that Thomas McNamara of Nebraska, while on his way to visit his brother at the Oshkosh Hospital, met with a severe accident near the latter place by which he loses both hands. Mr. M. was a former resident of this town and was well known and respected.

The Manitowoc Pilot, Wisconsin, 19 January 1882
Maple Grove.
On looking over The Pilot of the 19th inst., we encountered several false items from a Maple Grove correspondent who is unknown to us and for which we have been unjustly reproved. The mistakes were undoubtedly made with no injurious design yet some of the interested parties seem to be none too well pleased. The statement with regard to Thomas McNamara of Nebraska being seriously hurt while on his way to the Oshkosh Hospital in untrue and was probably assumed from a similar report regarding Martin McNamara, a brother of the gentleman named, who, while working in Rawling, Wyoming Territory, received such injuries as to render the amputation of one of his hands necessary. Mr. Thomas McNamara is at present visiting his friends and relatives in Maple Grove.

The Manitowoc Pilot, Wisconsin, 2 February 1882
"Relatives in Maple Grove" could be his brother, Michael, who was still in Maple Grove. Other articles in the Manitowoc Pilot might specify family relationships between the McNamara's of Nebraska and the O'Brien's who remained in Wisconsin. Perhaps an obituary, wedding, anniversary, or a visit by the O'Brien children of Wisconsin to their first cousins in Nebraska would prove that Mary McNamara O'Brien and Martin McNamara of Feakle were indeed siblings.

Thomas McNamara had likely returned to Maple Grove to assist his brother Michael sell any remaining property and join the family in Nebraska:
Maple Grove.
An auction will be held at Michael McNamara's next Thursday for the purpose of disposing of the real estate and personal property of Mr. M. who has concluded to remove to Nebraska.

The Manitowoc Pilot, Wisconsin, 23 February 1882