Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:27 pm

Hi Jimbo

Thank you once again. It was interesting to read about the Molonys and Cragg House, and about marriages between Protestant and Catholics, and about the Cannys - also Malachy Kelly, the Steward, and Patrick Cusack. The mention of the trees still standing on what was once the Cragg house avenue reminds me of those lines in “The Planter’s Daughter” by Austin Clarke: “For the house of the planter / Is known by the trees.” (https://onefabday.com/the-planters-daug ... in-clarke/)

About the ownership (legal entitlement) to farms, which were once tenancies, I will give you first what’s in the top of my head - if it is all wrong, I hope it will be corrected by someone else. The Wyndham Act 1903 allowed the sitting tenants to purchase their tenancies *. From that point on they were the legal owners. Anyone who had gone to live in another country, and no longer working the land and paying the rates, was not considered eligible under the act. Even the evicted tenants, who, during the Land War, were considered uppermost as far as entitlement was concerned, were way down in the list of priorities in the early years of the 20th century. The old slogan “The Land for the People”, carried on banners during the Land War, had been forgotten by many (but not all). Other people who lost out were agricultural labourers, the landless and the holders of uneconomic holdings. All of these groups brought problems which had to be dealt with in later years.
Immediately you will ask, “but what about the land the landlord had not let to tenants, but had farmed himself with the aid of his employees?” This was divided up and awarded mainly to existing tenants on the basis of a points system (based on need and suitability). Of the landless, only one group was recognised as being entitled to a farm; they were the former employees (of some status) of the landlord, i.e. herds, stewards and coachman (maybe). Even though most people would consider their claim to be a reasonable one, many farmers objected on the grounds that they were not experienced farmers!
* The purchase was made by undertaking to pay annuities .

The Wikipedia piece on the Land Acts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Acts_(Ireland)) includes a piece on the Land Purchase (Ireland) Act 1903 (Wyndham Land Act).
More detailed is a thesis entitled “The Wyndham Land Act, 1903: The Final Solution to the Irish Land Question?”, by Patrick John Cosgrove (https://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/507 ... 133621.pdf. It is 360 pages and very detailed, and is not suited to my level of interest or intellect, but it will answer any questions researchers may have. On page 49, you will see the kind of fears that were raised prior to enactment:
With the state effectively becoming the landlord for the whole country, there was a fear that the government would not be able to resist a widespread refusal to pay annuities. Some Liberals worried that the non-payment of annuities would be harnessed for political purposes. Similarly, if the tenants were forced to pay exorbitant prices they might default in times of hardship and economic depression. The state could not simply evict the whole countryside. Furthermore, the security for the exchequer would not be improved by allowing those tenants with small uneconomic holdings to purchase. Joseph Compton Rickett, the Liberal M.P. for Scarborough, warned:
We have also to remember that there are other improvements needed. A vast number of these farmers are very poor. A mere reduction of 15 per cent in their rent is not sufficient to make them capable farmers, or to bring their land to a cultivatable condition. To suppose that we shall change the condition of the population, and effect a reformation in economic conditions simply by a reduction in rent is surely beyond the conception of any reasonable man.
He cautioned that land purchase alone would not necessarily improve economic conditions for the tenant-purchasers because further investment would be required.
Jimbo, I know that James Kelly, who may have emigrated, was not an evicted person, but I think you may be wondering what happened to the legal arrangement that permitted the Loughreys and others to regain their old farms in 1891. It would seem that this was a short-lived arrangement - see page 115 of the thesis:
The first attempt to address the evicted tenants question was in 1891 when the Conservative chief secretary of the day, A. J. Balfour, introduced his land purchase act. The act contained a clause which enabled an evicted tenant to be reinstated on his holding as a tenant-purchaser albeit with the consent of the landlord. However, there was a time limit of six months from the passing of the act within which the reinstatement had to happen. Parliament legislated for a further period of six months, which commenced from 5 September 1895, and under the 1896 Land Act a period of twelve months was sanctioned from the passing of that act.122 Unfortunately these initiatives achieved very little success as very few evicted tenants were restored.
For more on the treatment of evicted tenants under the 1903 Act, see “The Land Conference reconvenes to consider the evicted tenants question”, page 299. See also “Special report by the estates commissioners on the evicted tenants, 1907”, on page 315. And on page 317, there is a good summation of the problems arising:
As matters stood, the evicted tenants were in direct competition with the holders of uneconomic holdings and the other classes eligible for a portion of untenanted land under the Wyndham Act. Although the evicted tenants were very important politically, no community was going to welcome them if they felt the needs of its members had not been tended to first. Augustine Birrell was not oblivious to the problem:
It must not be forgotten that although evicted tenants occupy a great place politically they are by no means popular persons in rural Ireland, and any attempt to reinstate them on land which in the opinion of the neighbourhood ought properly to go to make the holdings of existing tenants economic will be bitterly opposed.
See also “Special report by the estates commissioners on the evicted tenants, 1907”: page 315
The Evicted Tenants’ Act, 1907: page 319
Evicted Tenants’Act, 1908: page 334
“The reinstatment of evicted tenants”: page 336

For anyone interested in the treatment of agricultural labourers there is a section beginning on page 130. And more on agricultural labourers on pages 234-237.

Demesnes (any mansion house or other buildings thereon) were not, at first, subject to compulsory purchase - see page 154

See page 204 for a mention of Colonel O’Callaghan Westropp. Also page 210:
The revision of the Wyndham Act’s terms, as set forth in the 1909 Land Act, was seen as a betrayal by many Irish landlords. They felt that the Land Conference settlement and the 1903 act had been destroyed. As Col. O’Callaghan Westropp emotionally wrote in a published letter in the Irish Times: ‘Thus voluntary purchases are at an end, the Wyndham Act torn to tatters, the Land Conference policy is repudiated, and the chief secretary pours oil on the agrarian fire.’
Sheila

Edited to add the question mark to the title of the thesis by Patrick John Cosgrove.
Last edited by Sduddy on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:53 am

In my post above I may have given the impression that I thought the Molonys of Cragg were planters, and, if so, I should say that the Molonys of Cragg were there from the early 17th century, if not longer. This is mentioned in the entry in the Landed Estates website: https://landedestates.ie/property/2116, and is shown in the Journals of the Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead (https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... /tulla.htm) which include an inscription on a tomb with the date 1702, – see also Burkes Landed Gentry (accessed via WikiTree): https://archive.org/details/genealogica ... 8/mode/1up?

In Chapter I of her thesis, “Settlement and Social Change in the Barony of Tulla, c. 1650 – 1845” (https://aran.library.nuigalway.ie/bitst ... sequence=1), Teresa Shoosmith explains how the O’Molony family survived the Cromwellian settlement and social changes in the period 1650-1670:
The most prominent local casualties of the process were the influential MacNamara Reaghs, members of a family which had once controlled over 13,000 acres of land.11 The dramatic loss of the MacNamaras’ territory and associated social position under the Cromwellian settlement uncovered lesser families such as the O’Molonys and Cusacks, who improved their relative position within the new socio-economic hierarchy (note 11: Patrick Nugent, The Gaelic Clans of Co. Clare and their Territories, 1100-1700 A. D. (Dublin: Geography Publications, 2007), pp. 193-196; O Murchadha, Ciarán, Land and Society in Seventeenth Century Clare , p. 122. ), page 11.
Shoosmith also refers to an unpublished thesis, “The Molony Family”, by Charles Molony, which would be interesting to read if made available.

When I said that the trees on the avenue of Cragg house reminded me of the lines in Austin Clarke's poem, I meant that, whether driving or walking, we know when we are passing where a gentry house once stood, because many of the beech trees and horse chestnut trees those people planted are still there.

Sheila

Edited to amend typo (1870 amended to 1670)

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:44 pm

Hi Jimbo

I’m not sure that Malachy Kelly, Steward at Cragg House, lived in the gate house. The person who lived in the gate house or lodge house was usually the gatekeeper. Hugh Weir contributed an article, “Gate Lodges of Co. Clare” to The Other Clare, Vol. 15 (1991) – see The Other Clare contents: https://roundaboutshannon.clareheritage ... -of-titles. He includes a few drawings of gate lodges. Hilary Gilmore also has some drawings of gate lodges published in various issues of the journal. The gate lodges were usually very small and like miniatures of the big houses. Unfortunately, the gate houses and gatekeepers were not listed in Griffith’s Valuation. Hugh Weir begins by saying,
Many of the larger Co. Clare houses have gone. Most of the sites where they were situated are discernible because there are still ancient decorative trees such as beeches and ilexes. Others are distinguishable because there are still strongly constructed stone yards and buildings or sometimes even the kitchen garden or orchard walls. Separate demensnes can often be identified because of the architecture of the estate houses. In many cases, the old estates can be located through their gate lodges.
At a later point, he says that the gate keepers wages were often augmented by tips from visitors to the big house:
As a great deal of socializing took place, a substantial amount could be amassed through such a profession and so the position of gatekeeper was often in considerable demand and ranked only a little way behind that of coachman in the hierarchy of the “big house” staff. Sadly, Griffith’s valuation includes the lodge as part of the residence so these important families are seldom listed in the primary valuation.
Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 am

Hi Jimbo

The gate lodge for Ayle house, Ayle Lower, is still there. I did a virtual drive past it and see that it is looking very pretty. I think it is a typical gate house. I can't attach a photo as the attachment quota has been reached. And it is not important, anyway.

In 1901, most of those who gave their occupations as gatekeeper/gate-keeper were Railway gatekeepers, but Bridget Mullins, Gate-keeper, living in Maryfort or Lismeehan, Tulla DED, was employed (or supported in her old age) by the Molonys: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1087919/.

In 1911, there’s a Patrick Russell, Gatekeeper, living with the household of Michael Molony, Ex-Workhouse Master. Patrick must have been the gatekeeper for Garruragh workhouse. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... gh/371944/. Institutions such as Asylums and Workhouses employed gatekeepers. Michael Hassett was gatekeeper for the asylum in Dulick, near Ennis: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ck/352734/

Speaking of Garruragh, I received the image of the record of the death of John McNamara who died in 1868, aged 67. I was disappointed to find that he’s not from Garruragh. He is John McNamara, from Clooney, who died on 18 June 1868, aged 67, married; occupation: Mason; informant: Daniel McNamara, Clooney (no relationship given). I thought he must be from the townland of Clooney in Clooney parish, but Griffith’s shows no McNamara tenants living in Clooney townland and there are no McNamaras living there in 1901. So “Clooney” may mean anywere in the parish. I don’t advise trying to figure out who he is – there are too many possibilities. Now I am sending for John McNamara who died in 1869, aged 69. If he is not from Garruragh, I will have one more go (for John McNamara who died in 1866, aged 68). Then I will give up looking for evidence of McNamaras who lived in Garruragh.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:42 pm

Hi Jimbo

I am giving up on finding out the fate of the Garruragh McNamaras. I’ve now received the last two of four death records for John McNamara (registered in Tulla between 1864 and 1870), and neither show a death in Garruragh:

11 Nov 1869, Kilkishen: Death of John McNamara, married, aged 69, Labourer; informant: Margaret McNamara, present at death, Kilkishen (no relationship given).

9 Feb 1866, Tulla Workhouse: Death of John McNamara, married, aged 68, Labourer; informant: Edward Baker, Chief Resident[?] Officer, Tulla Workhouse.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:14 pm

Sheila & Jimbo,

We have come full circle with the John McNamara civil registration deaths, in terms of your prior discussion here:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... deb#p14671

That thread started out with John McNamara of Barberton OH but got into a British army pensioner John McNamara who married an unrelated woman Catherine McNamara of Kilkishen. Their wedding in 1864 had Kilkishen as residence of both that year, with bride Catherine being the daughter of a John McNamara, farmer. The discussion of that farmer John pointed to his being the father of other daughters, one of whom was named Margaret.

Sheila's recently-obtaind 1869 death registration for John McNamara age 69 in Kilkishen can now be matched to the 1864 wedding of his daughter Catherine, whose surname remained McNamara. At least as of 1869, farmer John's other daughter Margaret was either single or had likewise managed to married into another McNamara line.

Thanks for posting the Kilkishen death, Sheila. One less resident to wonder about (I do keep files on certain longstanding families of Kilkishen in that era).

Sharon C.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:34 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thank you very much for obtaining the four civil records for the various John McNamara’s who died in Tulla Parish between 1864 through 1870: a John McNamara died in 1866, aged 68; a John McNamara died in 1868, aged 67; a John McNamara died in 1869, aged 69; and a John McNamara died in 1870, aged 92; skipping the 8-year old who died in 1867,

While the results didn’t provide any information as far as what happened to the McNamara’s of Garruragh townland, I agree with Sharon that the results were still useful, especially for the McNamara’s from Kilkishen.

I also thought the John McNamara who was married and died on 9 February 1866 at Tulla workhouse at the age of 68 years old was an important clue that we should not so quickly dismiss. Could he have been the John McNamara in the below family tree, as summarized most recently on page 33 of this thread? And possibly be the father of a Thomas McNamara born in 1832? And could this Thomas McNamara possibly be the missing Civil Soldier of Glandree?
John McNamara (1800 ?? - ??) and Mary Kelly (1800 ?? - prior to 1840??) of Glandree:

............ 1.? missing baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)

............ 1.1 Mary McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 17 December 1825, mother reported as "Mary McNamara", sponsors Laurence Kelly and Catherine Bowles.

............ 1.? missing baptism register (June 1826 through May 1827) - Elizabeth McNamara, the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY??

............ 1.2 James McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 22 November 1828, sponsors John McNamara, Anne Cavana.

............ 1.3 John McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 11 July 1830, sponsors Martin O'Dea, Honora Linane.

............ 1.4 Thomas McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 6 May 1832, sponsors John Nunan, Biddy Birmingham. - the missing Civil War soldier of Glandree??

............ 1.5 Bridget McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 24 February 1834, sponsor Bridget Kelly. - the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY?? Very unlikely.

............ 1.6 Johanna McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 8 November 1835, sponsor Cath Roughan. - the 2nd wife of John Hornbeck of Wawarsing NY?? Very unlikely.

....... POSSIBLE Marriage to Bridget Coffey (as discussed on page eight)

............ 1.7 Mary McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 28 January 1840, sponsor Sally Coffey - married to James Madigan (witness Andrew McNamara), to Barnsley Yorkshire??

............ 1.8 Anne McNamara, no location, baptized August 1843, sponsor Anne Couney.

............ 1.9 Pat McNamara, of Glandree, baptized March 1845, sponsor Bid Lambert.

............ 1.10 Michael McNamara, of Glandree, baptized 8 January 1847, sponsor Mary McMahon.
The timing of John McNamara’s death and the missing advertisement for Thomas McNamara might be important. Mary McNamara Madigan, the sister of the missing Thomas McNamara, placed her first missing advertisement in The Irishman on 24 December 1869 (see page 2), and then again ten years later on 3 May 1879 in The Irish American (see very first posting). A search now of the British Newspapers Archives revealed that her first advertisement was in The Irishman on 20 November 1869; nearly identical except the advert referenced “John Dhornbeck” and her own location as “Burnley” instead of “Barnsley”, both corrected in the later version.

The timing of the missing advertisements in late 1869 would be nearly four years after John McNamara died on 9 February 1866. Not much of a link. John McNamara was a married man. Perhaps the first missing advertisement was related to the death of their mother? However, there would be many widow McNamara’s who died at Tulla workhouse and it would be impossible to determine who had been married to the John McNamara who died on 9 February 1866.

Plus, the Tulla workhouse was not only for the Catholic parish of Tulla, but for Tulla Union encompassing several parishes. So, we don’t even know if John McNamara of 1866 is even from the Catholic parish of Tulla. Finally, if John McNamara of Glandree died in 1866, why doesn’t he appear in Griffith Valuation? I suppose that both he and his wife could have entered the Tulla workhouse as early as 1855.

Sheila, thanks again for obtaining the civil death records for John McNamara and previously for Thomas McNamara.

The John McNamara who died in February 1866 at Tulla workhouse, in Garruragh townland, may have been buried at the Tulla workhouse cemetery located in Drummaghmartin townland (no longer in existence, as we discussed on page 54), or perhaps his family arranged a burial elsewhere at their local cemetery. Drummaghmartin townland was the property of John Patrick Moloney and Anne Canny of Cragg. Sheila, another day I’ll discuss further the Molony family of Cragg as well as your recent comments on gate lodges etc.

The missing advertisements of 1869 stated that Thomas McNamara had left Glandree “about fourteen years ago” or about 1855. His sister (or possibly, half-sister), Mary McNamara was married to James Madigan in 1860. I reckon it very unlikely that their parents left Ireland for America. We don’t know the age of the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree. I doubt that Thomas McNamara of Glandree left Ireland about 1855 as a pre-teen or young teenager. This might have been common during the Great Famine years but it would be rare for, say, a 14-year old to go to America on his own in 1855 and in subsequent decades. But, if in fact, he was the Thomas born in May 1832 to John McNamara and Mary Kelly of Glandree, Thomas McNamara would have been in his early 20’s in 1855, a perfect age to set off on his own for a better life in America, never expecting to get caught up in a bloody civil war that may well have taken his life.

To be continued,

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:24 am

Sheila, thanks again for researching the civil death records, and especially your recent civil death for John McNamara of Kilkishen who died in 1869. And thanks Sharon for pointing out that this death record related to the John McNamara of the 82nd Regiment of Foot (from the John McNamara of Barberton, Ohio thread):
After serving 22 years and 2 months with the 82nd Regiment of Foot (see #12 above), John McNamara was discharged on 19 July 1864 and returned to County Clare. Only three months later McNamara was married, which would indicate that he likely still had family in Kilkishen to help arrange the marriage. John McNamara, bachelor, pensioner, of Kilkishen, son of farmer James McNamara, married Catherine McNamara, servant, of Kilkishen, daughter of farmer John McNamara, on 23 October 1864, at the Catholic chapel at Kilkishen, by the curate John Kennedy; witnesses Patt Donnellan and Bridget Donnellan (Galway registration district).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 282019.pdf
The civil death record for John McNamara who died in Kilkishen can also be traced to the transcriptions of Clonlea death register for O'Callaghan's Mills, Kilkishen and Killuran for the period 1843 to 1878, transcribed and donated by Jane Halloran Ryan and Larry Parks of Clare Roots Society:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... lonlea.htm

The “Clonlea death register” has a John McNamara of Kilkishen who died on 12 November 1869. But no age of death, occupation, or the name of the informant, so the civil death record is superior. However, since the civil death records for 1864 to 1870 are not available on-line, this Clonlea death register is very useful for this time period (and obviously for prior to 1864). Plus, the Clonlea death register for the period of 1871 to 1878 can point you in the right direction when searching the civil death records, especially when searching a common surname as McNamara, as was the case for finding the widow of John McNamara.

John McNamara of Kilkishen was a married man when he died in 1869. Who was his widow? The death register of 1843 to 1878 has a “Widow McNamara” of Kilkishen who died in 1874 (no date). Note that the sorting of the death records is by surname and then by date. However, minor issue, it looks like there were a few late additions (all with a larger font size) that were not properly sorted. So the “Widow McNamara” entry of 1874 appears right after the McMahons and prior to the McNamaras of the 1840’s.

Who was the “Widow McNamara” who died in 1874? Searching the civil death records for Tulla registration district, I reckon, she must be the Catherine McNamara , of Kilkishen, age 62, who died on 23 July 1874; informant Margaret McNamara, present at death at Kilkishen. Same townland and informant as the civil death record for John McNamara in 1869. However, there is one discrepancy in that the “Widow McNamara” of the Clonlea death register was reported as “married” on the civil death record. Was this a simple mistake on the civil death record? I also checked neighboring districts for a civil death record, but with no luck. The “Widow McNamara” of the Clonlea death register appears to relate to the civil death record of the Catherine McNamara who died in Kilkishen, both in 1874.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 245732.pdf

If accurate, then this raises questions about my previous assumption on Mary Walsh being the mother of the bride, Catherine McNamara, who married John McNamara in 1864. Prior assumption below:
His bride, Catherine McNamara, was likely the daughter of John McNamara and Mary Walsh of Kilkishen, and born prior to the 1835 start of the O'Callaghan Mills baptism register. Two other daughters, Margaret (1835) and Bridget (1843) were baptized and reported in the register.
Was the mother of Catherine McNamara (married to John McNamara), named Mary Walsh (married to John McNamara)? Or was she a “Catherine” as per the 1874 civil death record? Or was the civil death record incorrect mistaking “Catherine” married to pensioner, John McNamara, with the “Mary” married to her father, John McNamara. This would also explain the other mistake, why the “Widow McNamara” per the Clonlea death register was reported as “married” in the 1874 civil death record. The Catherine McNamara who married pensioner John McNamara in 1864 was definitely still living in 1874 and she was the next of kin when her son, Michael McNamara, enlisted with the Royal Artillery in 1895. See page 1 of the John McNamara of Barberton, Ohio thread (who has been mistaken for the John McNamara of the 82nd Regiment of Foot in a few ancestry family trees):

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=7343

Sharon, you are probably correct that the 1869 civil death record of John McNamara relates to the father-in-law of the John McNamara, pensioner of the 82nd Regiment of Foot. But not sure this will pass muster with Sheila due to the unresolved questions about the death of his widow. Plus, what happened to the Margaret McNamara of Kilkishen, the informant in both 1869 and 1874?

In the Clonlea death register of 1843 to 1878, there was an entry for a John McNamara of Kilkishen who died in 1871. There was also a “McNamara’s child” who died on 3 May 1870 in Kilkishen. Upon further research, this John McNamara had “married in” from Killanena townland.

Per his civil marriage record, the John McNamara who died in 1871 was the son of Thomas McNamara. Initially, I thought he was the son of Thomas McNamara of Knockatoureen (Kilkishen), but this was incorrect as shown in the family tree below (they have a different John McNamara, son of Thomas). But upon further research, I’m fairly certain that John McNamara was the son of Thomas McNamara of Clashduff (Kilkishen), and the research led back to Clonlea death register of 1843 to 1878 which provided the key evidence. Thanks to the Clare Roots Society for transcribing this record and making the Clonlea death register of 1843-1876 available at the Clare Library. Given its start in 1843, it is very good for researching families that didn’t survive the Great Famine. Tulla Parish, like most Clare locations, has no such record and it’s not clear if the “missing” families, who disappear from what records are available, immigrated or perished during the Great Famine.

Family trees for both Thomas McNamara of Knockatoureen and Thomas McNamara of Clashduff are shown below:

Thomas McNamara and Mary Egan of Knockatoureen Townland, Kilkishen

Thomas McNamara, of Kilkishen, married Mary Egan, of Cloughoula, in O’Callaghan Mills parish, on 25 February 1840; witnesses John Egan of Cloughoula, and Patrick Tuohey of Backfield (O’Callaghan Mills marriage register, 1835-1881).

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 2/mode/1up

Thomas McNamara (≈1813 - 1879) and Mary Egan (≈1812 – 1894) were the parents of six children in O’Callaghan Mills parish and by 1850 were living in Knockatoureen townland:

At 1855 Griffith Valuation, Thomas McNamara held Plot 8 in Knockatoureen; lessor Thomas Studdert; house, offices, and land; over 21 acres; valuation £9 and 10 shillings.

Also in Knockatoureen in GV Plot 4a was a Roger McNamara, sharing 41 acres with a Michael Hogan at 4b and John Hogan at 4cd (houses); Roger’s valuation was only £3. Per the Clonlea death register, Rody McNamara of Knockatoureen died on 7 January 1865. The civil death record for the Rody McNamara who died in 1865 is not yet available, but the index states that he was 54 years. The marital status and informant on the death record for Roger “Rody” McNamara (≈1811 – 1865) will have to wait until the civil record becomes available on-line. Rody was possibly an elder brother or cousin of Thomas McNamara (≈1813 – 1879)?

1.0 John McNamara (1841 – 1921), of K [Kilkishen ?], was baptized on 7 May 1841; sponsor Mary McMahon (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

John McNamara, of Knockatureen, farmer, son of Thomas McNamara (deceased), married Ellen O’Brien, of Coolgoree (sp?), daughter of Pat O’Brien (deceased), on 18 February 1890 at the Catholic chapel in Cloonusker by the Rev. M.J. Kenny; witnesses Patrick Fitzgerald and Bridget M. O’Brien (Scariff registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 898092.pdf

John McNamara, farmer, of Knockatoreen, married, age 80 years, died on 16 December 1921; informant widow Ellen McNamara (Scariff registration). Ellen McNamara, of Knockatoreen, widow of a farmer, age 69 years, died on 28 January 1935; informant son Martin McNamara (Scariff registration).

John McNamara (1841 – 1921) and Ellen O’Brien (<1864 – 1935) of Knockatoureen were the parents of seven children: <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>

..................... 1.1 Mary Ellen McNamara (age 11 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>
..................... 1.2 Bridget McNamara (age 9 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>
..................... 1.3 John McNamara (age 7 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>
..................... 1.4 Martin McNamara (age 6 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>
..................... 1.5 Patrick McNamara (age 4 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>
..................... 1.6 James McNamara (age 2 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>
..................... 1.7 Margaret McNamara (age 0 in 1901) <Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, House 1, House 1>

2.0 Michael McNamara (1843 – unknown), of Clonlea, was baptized on 21 January 1843; sponsor Mary McMahon (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

3.0 Thomas McNamara (1847 – 1910), of Mountallon?, was baptized on 17 April 1847; sponsors Philip Connell and Mary McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

Thomas McNamara, of Knockatoureen, son of farmer Thomas McNamara, married Honora Walker, of Kilkishen, daughter of farmer Henry Walker, at the Catholic chapel in Kilmurry, on 3 March 1889:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 911329.pdf

Hannah Walker (age 57 in 1911) was likely the “Johann” baptized on 8 November 1851, parents Henry Walker and Margaret Fahy of Kilkishen in O’Callaghan Mills parish. Thomas McNamara “married in”.

Thomas McNamara, farmer, of Kilkishen, married, age 64 years, died on 27 September 1910; informant widow Hanora McNamara (Scariff registration). Hanora McNamara, of Kilkishen, widow of a farmer, age 82 years, died on 20 June 1942; informant daughter Bridget McNamara (Scariff registration). <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 15; Kilkishen Town, House 15>

Thomas McNamara (1847 – 1910) and Hanora Walker (1851 – 1942) of Kilkishen were the parents of four children:

..................... 3.1 Margaret McNamara (1890 – died prior to 1901), of Kilkishen, was born on 22 February 1890 (informant was Bridget Turner).
..................... 3.2 Bridget McNamara (1891 – after 1911), of Kilkishen, was born on 3 October 1891 (informant was Bridget Turner). <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 15; Kilkishen Town, House 15>
..................... 3.3 Thomas McNamara (1893 – after 1911), of Kilkishen, was born on 24 July 1893 (informant was mother, Hannah McNamara). <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 15; Kilkishen Town, House 15>
..................... 3.4 Unknown McNamara, in 1911 census parents of four children, two surviving.

4.0 James McNamara (1850 – unknown), of Knockatureen, was baptized on 21 April 1850; sponsors Patt Shaughnessy & Mary Shaughnessy (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

5.0 Patrick McNamara (1852 – unknown), of Knocktureen, was baptized on 21 November 1852; sponsors John Cuneen and Honora McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1850-1880).

6.0 Bridget McNamara (1854 – unknown), of Knockatureen, was baptized on 30 December 1854; sponsors John Philips and Mary McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1850-1880).

Thomas McNamara and Mary White of Clashduff Townland, Kilkishen

Thomas McNamara, of Clonlea, married Mary White, of Clonlea, on 7 February 1837 in O’Callaghan Mills parish; witnesses Michael McNamara of Kilsiley and Edmund O'Brien of Kilsiley (O’Callaghan Mills marriage register, 1835-1881).

Thomas McNamara and Mary White appear to have moved to Clashduff townland where three children were born. A very small family by Irish standards which sadly can be explained by reviewing the Clonlea death register of 1843 to 1878:

“Thos McNamara” of Clasduff died on 8 March 1844; his death was prior to 1864 and thus no civil death record.

“Mrs. McNamara” (“McNamara’s wife”) of Classduff died on 2 April 1849, the cause of death was stated to be “decline”. In the same month, “McNamara’s daughter” of Classduff died on 26 April 1849 of cholera.

Their deaths would have left the two remaining McNamara sons, John born in 1838, and Michael born in 1840, as orphans. Not an uncommon tragedy during the Great Famine, and the boys were likely raised by their relatives. I have a strong hunch I know who raised them based upon the baptism sponsors of the three children. This will require more research which will share another day. Both John and Thomas appear to have ended up in nearby Killanena / Enagh townlands according to their marriage records — an important clue to who may have raised them after both parents had died by 1849.

Thomas McNamara (≈1800? ≈1815? – 1844) and Mary White (≈1800? ≈1815? – 1849) of Clashduff were the parents of three children:

1.0 John McNamara (1838 – 1871), of “Closdune”, was baptized on 26 May 1838; sponsors Michael McNamara and Mary McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

John McNamara, of Killanena, a labourer, son of labourer Thomas McNamara, married Mary Mullins, of Kilkishen, daughter of farmer James Mullins, on 20 April 1868 at the Catholic chapel at O’Callaghan Mills by the curate John Cleary; witnesses John McNamara and Bridget Kelly (O’Callaghan marriages, 1835-1881).

John McNamara (1838 – 1871) and Mary Mullins (≈1848 - 1929) of Kilkishen were the parents of two children:

..................... 1.1 Catherine McNamara (1869 – 1870?), of Kilkishen, was baptized on 18 December 1869; sponsors James Mullins and Catherine Mullins (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1850-1881).

“McNamara’s child” of Kilkishen died on 3 May 1870 per the Clonlea death register (1843-1878). The civil death records for 1870 are not yet available to confirm that this relates to the Catherine born in December 1869.

..................... 1.2 Thomas McNamara (1871 – unknown), of Kilkishen, was baptized on 15 April 1871; sponsors Pat Mullins and Mary Mullins (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1850-1881). The civil birth record also stated that Thomas was born on 15 April 1871; his father John McNamara was a shopkeeper; the informant was Mary Gleeson of Kilkishen.

When Thomas McNamara was born on 15 April 1871, his mother was already a widow. John McNamara, of Kilkishen, married, shopkeeper, age 31 years, died on 20 March 1871; informant Maria McNamara of Kilkishen (not stated, but surely his widow) per Tulla civil death record. As noted previously, John McNamara of Kilkishen was reported in the Clonlea death register as having died on 22 March 1871.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 286626.pdf

The later whereabouts of Thomas McNamara, born in 1871, are an interesting mystery.

Maria Mullins [McNamara], a widow, of Kilkishen, daughter of farmer James Mullins, married Thomas Clune, farmer, of O’Callaghan Mills, son of farmer Michael Clune, on 27 January 1872 at the Catholic chapel at Kilkishen by the curate Edward Flynn; witnesses John Boland [of O’Callaghan Mills] and Bridget Walsh [of Kilkishen] per Tulla civil registration. Consistent information on the Catholic marriage record, with the residence of the two witnesses also being reported. Thomas Clune (age 71 in 1911 census) was the son of Michael Clune and Catherine Connell of Killuran baptized in November 1839. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; Kilkishen Town, House 43>

Typically, in the 1911 census only the mother will report “years of marriage” and number of children, born and surviving. However, both Mary Mullins McNamara Clune (≈1848 - 1929) and Thomas Clune (1839 – 1920) reported in the 1911 census that they had been married for 39 years, consistent with their 1872 marriage. They were the parents of 11 children and 7 were surviving at the 1911 census. Do the 11 children include Mary’s two children from her first marriage to John McNamara? Was Thomas McNamara one of the seven children still surviving in 1911?

..................... 1.3 George Clune (1873 – 1905), of Kilkishen, was baptized on 20 April 1873; sponsors Robert Hanley? and Mary Hynes (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1850-1881). <Lambeth, London; x>

In the 1901 census for England, George Clune, born in Ireland, age 27, single, was a boarder living in Lambeth, London; his occupation was “Detective, Scotland Yard”. George Clune, bachelor, age 32 years, Scotland Yard detective, died in Kilkishen on 21 August 1905; informant his father, Thomas Clune (Tulla registration).
George Clune, warrant officer 79851. Joined on 23 July 1894, and left on 3 Feb 1905. Last posted to CO (CID) Division as a PC.

Register of Leavers from the Metropolitan Police, 1872-1905, UK National Archives, Kew

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /C13364317
..................... 1.4 Michael Clune (1875 – 1929), of Kilkishen, was baptized on 30 January 1875; sponsors Patrick Frost and Margaret Frost (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1850-1881). Baptism entry has scribbled “married in 1927”. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; Kilkishen Town, House 43>

Michael Clune, of Kilkishen, farmer, “age 40”, son of Thomas Clune, married Winifred Tuohy, of Derrynaveigh, Oatfield, age 42, daughter of teacher, Patrick Tuohy, on 30 July 1927 at the Catholic chapel at Oatfield by the curate Michael Flannery; witnesses John Mullins and Mary Ryan (Scariff registration). He died less than two years later on 4 May 1929 and within the same week as his mother, Mary Mullins McNamara Clune, who died on 30 April 1929. Winifred Tuohy Clune was the informant on both records.

..................... 1.5 Mary Kate Clune (1876 – likely 1971 in San Francisco), of Kilkishen, was baptized on 1 December 1876; father reported by priest as “Charles Clune” in error; sponsors Michael Mullins and Bridget Kelly (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1850-1881). Mary Kate Clune, daughter of Thomas Clune and Mary Mullins, was born in Kilkishen on 27 November 1876 per Tulla civil birth record. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; x>

No sign of Mary K. in Ireland after the 1901 census. Several family trees on the ancestry website have a Mary K. Clune, daughter of Thomas Clune and Mary Mullins, married to a California born Thomas J. Regan living in San Francisco. Three children: Thomas (≈1909), George (≈1913), and Joseph (≈1916) all born in San Francisco. She arrived about 1904/1905 according to census records. No marriage record or passenger listing among sources. Her age in census records was closer to 1880 or 1882, but normal to fib your age. Mary K. Regan died in San Francisco in 1971, so despite no USA record linking back to Kilkishen, I reckon it would be likely, or at least not unlikely, that she would share her Clare origins with her children and grandchildren. Plus, a second born son named George in 1913, named after whoever her brother, first born son George, was named after in 1873?

..................... 1.6 Anne Clune (1879 – after 1911), of Kilkishen, was baptized on 3 October 1879; sponsors Thos Dwyer? and Kate Mullins (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1850-1881). <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; Kilkishen Town, House 43>

..................... 1.7 Patrick James Clune (1881 – 1884), of Kilkishen, was born on 4 March 1881; father a shopkeeper; informant Mary Gleeson, per Tulla civil birth record.

James Clune, age 3, died on 1 April 1884 in Kilkishen; informant father, Thomas Clune (Tulla civil registration, reported as Galway in error).

..................... 1.8 Margaret Clune (1883 - after 1911), of Kilkishen, was born on 9 July 1883; father a “relieving officer”; informant mother, Mary Clune, per Tulla civil birth record. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; Kilkishen Town, House 43>

..................... 1.9 Patrick Clune (1886 – after 1911), of Kilkishen, was born on 31 August 1886; father a farmer; informant mother, Maria Clune, per Tulla civil birth record. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; Kilkishen Town, House 43>

..................... 1.10 Bridget “Delia” Clune (1889 – 1903), of Kilkishen, was born on 17 March 1889; father a shopkeeper; informant Bridget Turner, per Tulla civil birth record. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; x>

Delia Clune, of Kilkishen, age 14 years, died on 23 September 1903; informant father, Thomas Clune, per 1904 Tulla civil death record.

..................... 1.11 Ellen “Nellie” Clune (1891 – after 1901), of Kilkishen, was born on 10 June 1891; father a farmer; informant Bridget Turner, per Tulla civil birth record. <Teeronea, Kilkishen, House 31; x>

The whereabouts of Nellie Clune after the 1901 census are a mystery. Presumably, she was still living in 1911 as her parents stated that 11 children were born and 7 living in the census. Mary Madden McNamara Clune’s four deceased children were: Catherine McNamara (1869-1870), George Clune (1873-1905), Patrick James Clune (1881-1884), and Delia Clune (1889-1903). Thus, both Nellie Clune born in 1891, as well as Thomas McNamara born in 1871, appear to have still been living in 1911, but where?

And if either Thomas McNamara or Nellie Clune left Ireland, did they return to visit their mother in Kilkishen? Their mother was still living in Kilkishen through early 1929.

Thomas Clune, of Kilkishen, farmer, married, age 81 years, died on 29 April 1920; informant Michael Clune. Maria Clune, of Kilkishen, widow of a farmer, age 81 years, died on 30 April 1929; informant daughter-in-law, Winifred Clune of Kilkishen. One week later, their son, Michael Clune, died on 4 May 1929, as noted above.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 340971.pdf

2.0 Michael McNamara (1840 – unknown), of “Clasdun”, was baptized on 5 August 1840; sponsors Michael McNamara and Margaret McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

Michael McNamara, of Enagh, farmer, son of Thomas McNamara, married Penelope Gleeson, of Newpark, daughter of John Gleeson, on 4 February 1877 at the Catholic chapel at Kilkishen by the curate Denis Cleary; witnesses John McNamara and Penelope Mullins (O’Callaghan Mills marriages, 1835-1881). Penelope Gleeson, was the daughter of John Gleeson and Judy Halloran, baptized on 3 May 1856 (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1851-1880).

Michael McNamara (1840 – unknown) and Penelope Gleeson (1856 – 1883) were the parents of just one son, born on Christmas Day in 1882. Sadly, Penelope Gleeson McNamara of Newpark died only seven days later on 2 January 1883 at just 27 years old. Their newborn son, John, died on 8 January 1883 at just 12 days.

..................... 2.1 John McNamara (1882 – 1883 at 12 days), of Enagh, was born on 25 December 1882; informant was a Bridget Turner who reported the mother correctly as “Penelope Gleeson”, but the father in error as “John McNamara” (confused with his brother? or else in Enagh there was another John McNamara married to a Penelope Mullins, so easy to confuse the two Penelopes and their husbands). The informant, Bridget Turner, was a midwife living in Kilkishen Town in the 1901 census, age 63, born in Naas, County Kildare.

3.0 Ellen McNamara (1843 – 1849), of “Clasdun”, was baptized on 13 December 1843; sponsors J. White and Ann K... [cramped] (O’Callaghan Mills baptism register, 1835-1850).

“McNamara’s daughter” of Classduff died on 26 April 1849 of cholera.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:09 am

Hi Jimbo

I am not sure that Catherine McNamara, whose death in Kilkishen in 1874 was reported by a Margaret McNamara, is more likely to be the wife of John McNamara (1800-1869) than is Mary Walsh. The Kilkishen address is a point in her favour, but the description of her as married comes against her. The Margaret who reported her death is probably her daughter, or daughter-in-law, and may be the Margaret who reported the death of John in 1869, but, as you have previously shown, Mary Walsh who was married to a John McNamara also had a daughter called Margaret, born Nov 1835 (O'Callaghan's Mills baptisms).
Historians of the famine period usually mention that people who were hoping for support of some kind gravitated towards centres of population, and it may be that some people, who died in Kilkishen, did not live there at the time that they married and had children. I think this would be especially true of labourers. Looking at the transcriptions of headstones in Clonlea graveyard, I can see that there are some McNamara families still living where they lived 200 years ago, but I think these were mostly farming families: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... isheen.htm.

Jimbo, thank you also for your previous post (on last Sunday, Feb 25), especially the last paragraph where you give a good summation of where we are with the missing Thomas McNamara.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:39 am

THE MURDER IN COUNTY CLARE.
A SHOCKING CRIME.

ENNIS, FRIDAY.—Further particulars have been received with reference to the murder of the man Michael M’Namara, in the employment of John M’Namara, a small farmer, living at Killilina [Killanena], a mile distant from Kilkishen. The facts connected with the horrible affair are these:—He had been to the house of a neighbour named Pat Condon, and left it a little before ten o’clock p.m. He was within three yards of his master’s house when a shot was fired at him, and he received a large portion of the charge in the chest and about the face. He struggled to reach the house, and dropped dead on the floor as soon as he entered.

His employer was in bed, but his wife and daughter were in the kitchen. Deceased was about 40 years of age, and a widower. He had the character of being a quiet, inoffensive, industrious man, and the only reason assigned for the perpetration of the deed is that he was suspected of having given information that led to the arrest of a man who was convicted of a savage assault at Newmarket-on-Fergus. Two men named M’Inerney, of the labouring class, have been arrested on suspicion of complicity in the murder. The only evidence against them at present is that footprints quite close to the scene of the murder correspond with the boots they wore.

LIMERICK.—The inquest on the body of the unfortunate man, Michael M’Namara, who was so brutally murdered at Kilkishen on Tuesday night [31 August 1886], was held by Mr. J. Frost, coroner for the district. The circumstances of the case, as shown by the evidence given at the inquest, though meagre as to the probable motive which incited to the cowardly deed, are yet sufficient so far to characterise the murder as one of the most cruel and atrocious that has yet stained the annuals of agrarian or other agitation. It does not seem that the deceased had ever given offence against the written or “unwritten” code,” nor is it probable, after very careful examination, that the unfortunate man had ever been a member of any secret society whose displeasure it might have been his misfortune to incur for some act or other unknown, of course to the everyday world. The deceased occupied the humble position of a labourer on the farm of a tenant named John M’Namara, and the fact that the latter, as well as the murdered man, were said to be on friendly terms with their neighbors, make the crime all the more unexplainable and heinous. The deceased is said to have been about forty years of age, and was unmarried. He left his employer’s house at half-past eight o’clock on Tuesday evening, returning at ten minutes after ten. Just as he was about crossing the threshhold of the door, and when within sight of two of his fellow-servants and Mrs. M’Namara, the report of a shot was heard, and the unfortunate man staggered into the place mortally wounded, with blood flowing from his wounds. He moved towards the fireplace, and cried out, “Oh, murder, God have mercy on me; I am killed,” and, staggering again toward the spot where he had received the fatal wound, he fell dead near the doorway. A police patrol who heard the shot were immediately on the scene, but no trace of the cowardly assassins could be found. Great indignation is felt in the locality over the matter, and a large crowd collected yesterday when the inquest was being held.

Bridget Gleeson, a female servant, in the employment of Mr. John M’Namara, deposed that she knew the deceased, Michael M’Namara, for the past twenty years. She saw him about half-past eight o’clock on Tuesday evening, when he left the house after taking his supper. He came home about ten minutes after ten o’clock, and she heard a shot just as he entered the door. She saw the flash of light after the shot was fired, and her impression was that the shot had been fired from behind some turf deposited a short distance from the house. She was standing at a table not far from the door, and immediately after the shot deceased jostled in about the house. He put his hand to his mouth and made toward the fireplace. He roared out, “Oh, murder! God have mercy on me, I am killed.” He went back again towards the door, and fell dead near it. No person had said anything to deceased after he entered the house. No more than five minutes elapsed from the time he entered the house till he died. There was a lamp lighted in the kitchen before he came in, and there were no shutters on the windows. Mrs. M’Namara and Margaret Carmody, another servant, were in the kitchen at the time, and Mrs. M’Namara called on her husband to come down. Mr. M’Namara then came down and ordered her to go for his cousin, who lived at Enagh, about fifteen perches from the house. A voice called out, “Go back, Bid Gleeson, or you will be sorry.” She then ran back, and saw as she was running two “black shouldered” men near the gate, but she would not be able to recognise the person who thus addressed her.

Constable James Cochrane deposed that he was on patrol duty on the night of the murder. He was in company with Constable Riordan, and about ten o’clock they heard the report of a shot. They walked towards the direction in which it was fired, and met two persons—Daniel and Michael M’Namara—coming towards them for the police. They went to M’Namara’s house, and found deceased living inside the cross-door.

Dr. Stephen Scanlan stated that he had made a post-mortem examination of the body of the deceased. Externally on the left side of the chest there were four gunshot wounds, one of which penetrated the lungs, two others lodging in the substance of the lung, and one immediately under the skin. On the right side of the chest there were seventeen wounds, and on the right side of the neck there were seven wounds and on the left side three. On the right side of the face and forehead there were five wounds. There was one wound on the left eye, apparently made by a grain of the shot. He had taken twelve grains of shot from the body of the deceased, and he found a little particle of bone in the cavity between both lungs, and also some grains of shot. Several of the wounds were quite sufficient to cause death.

Dr. E. Frost corroborated the evidence of Dr. Scanlan, and

The jury returned a verdict of “willful murder against persons unknown.”

Belfast News-Letter, Saturday, 4 September 1886
The murdered Michael McNamara, described as “about 40 years of age, and a widower” was most definitely the Michael McNamara who had been married to Penelope Gleeson (1856 – 1883). The birth of their son in 1883, who died at just a few days old, was stated to have been at “Enagh”, but this was likely at “Enagh Cross” which is located partly in Killanena townland.

Michael McNamara was murdered on the 31st of August 1886. But where is the civil death record? I searched under “McNamara”, “MacNamara” and “Mack”, but could not locate one. Did the death of a murdered man, examined by a coroner, really go unrecorded? I then searched for the death of any “Michael” recorded in the Tulla registration district and discovered “Michael MNamara”, a widower, age 47 years old, farm labourer, died at Killanena on 31 August 1886. He “was feloniously murdered by some person or persons unknown to the jury”. “Certificate received from John Frost, coroner for East Clare. Inquest held 1st September 1886”. Registrar was Stephen Scanlan. Tulla registration district (reported in Galway in error).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 785920.pdf

The discovery of the civil death record is an important one. In newspaper archives, it is necessary to search for “McNamara” as “MNamara” as the newspapers typically report as “M’Namara”. The same goes for other Mc surnames. But for the civil death record for Michael McNamara, and many others, this was not what was reported, and the transcription is, in fact, an error. McNamara was spelt with an elevated “c” and not an apostrophe. Interestingly, these errors in transcription were only made in two years, 1886 and 1892, and almost solely for death records. Most likely the transcription of these records was outsourced to a foreign country, where one individual responsible for 1886 and 1892 death records, and under limited supervision, was not aware of the Irish use of the elevated “c” in English writing.

A total of 113 “MNamara” death records were transcribed in 1886 and 1892. And 165 “Mmahon” death records were transcribed in 1886 and 1892. All need to be corrected by NLI. “McInerney” and “McCarthy” and other “Mc” surnames appear to be okay. From my experience, the NLI has been very quick on making corrections to their database. On the other hand, the National Archives on the census transcriptions appear to ignore any corrections submitted (such as “Reane” vs. “Keane”, an obvious error).

In my prior posting, Thomas McNamara (1847 – 1910) and Hanora Walker (1851 – 1942) of Kilkishen were the parents of four children, but only two were surviving according to the 1911 census. I could not locate the civil death record (and did not want to search a much larger population of birth records) for their unknown fourth child who would have died between the early 1890’s and 1911. Why? Did the death go unrecorded? No, the death record was transcribed as “Margaret MNamara”; she died in Kilkishen at 21 months on 13 December 1891, but reported in 1892, one of two years with incorrect transcriptions of McNamara:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 721351.pdf

Sheila, with hundreds of civil death records no longer hidden under an incorrect transcription of the Irish elevated “c”, this might help other researchers unable to discover the whereabouts of a missing ancestor.

For the unfortunate Michael McNamara described in newspaper accounts as “about 40”, his civil death record stated his age as 47 years old. He was definitely the widower of Penelope Gleeson who died in I883, and I reckon that this Michael McNamara was also the son of Thomas McNamara (as agreed by Michael’s marriage record) and Mary White of Clashduff townland born in 1840. He and his brother John were orphaned during the Great Famine. It is still not clear who were the relatives who raised him, but the news accounts of Michael’s murder might offer some important clues.

The servant Bridget Gleeson testified that she knew the “deceased, Michael M’Namara”, for the past twenty years”. Obviously, Bridget was not a young domestic servant. She was likely related to Penelope Gleeson who married Michael McNamara in 1877. Penelope Gleeson was born in 1858, the youngest child of John Gleeson and July Halloran of Enagh/Newpark. The witness Bridget Gleeson was, most likely I reckon, born in 1846, the youngest daughter of Michael Gleeson and Margaret Vaughn of Enagh. The two Gleesons were likely cousins of some sort.

In the above testimony at the coroner inquiry, the servant Bridget Gleeson was ordered by her master, John McNamara, “to go for his cousin, who lived at Emagh [Enagh], about 15 perches from the house”. This is when a voice called out “Go back, Bid Gleeson, or you will be sorry.” The identity of the cousin was identified further by the testimony of Bridget Gleeson at the magisterial investigation held in Limerick on 14 September 1886:
Bridget Gleeson, a servant of John M’Namara, stated—The deceased, Michael M’Namara, was a servant with me in the same house. . . . [similar testimony as prior] . . . .Mrs. Carmody, my son, and a girl minding a baby were in the kitchen [clearly a newspaper reporter’s error, should read “Mrs. McNamara, her son (Michael McNamara, born 1884), and a girl (the other servant, Margaret Carmody) minding a baby (John McNamara, born June 1886). There was a lamp lighting in the kitchen, and it was hung opposite the door. There were no shutters on the window. After Michael M’Namara died I went out to call John M’Namara (Thady). That was about a quarter of an hour after M’Namara was shot. He lives at the Cross of Euoch [Enagh].

When as far as the gate of the long field on the way to John M’Namara’s house, did you hear or see anything: I heard a voice saying, “Go back, Bid Gleeson, or if you don’t you will be sorry for it.”

When you looked into the field did you see any shadow? I did not wait to see anything. I was afraid of my life. I had no sight in my eyes, for I saw murder before me.

When before the coroner you stated you saw two shadows? I don’t know if they were shadows or trees. If I took seven oaths I don’t know but that they were trees, because it was as dark as pitch.

Was it not inside the gate you saw the shadows? Yes, I don’t know whether it was trees or shadow I saw, if my father’s life was on it, or that I took seven oaths.

The witness was not cross-examined.

Margaret M’Namara, wife of the previous witness’s employer, gave corroborative evidence. . .

“The Late Murder in Clare”, Weekly Irish Times, Wednesday, 15 September 1886
From this later testimony it is now clear who is who. The employer of the murdered Michael McNamara was John McNamara (1847 – 1928) of Killanena townland married to Margaret Walsh (1857 – 1926). The cousin of John McNamara (1847 – 1928) that Bridget Gleeson was ordered to notify was John McNamara (1850 – 1900) married to Penelope Mullins (1853 – 1935) of Enagh Cross in Killanena townland. John McNamara (1850 – 1900) was the son of Timothy "Thady" McNamara (≈1797 - 1899).

John McNamara (1850 – 1900) and Penelope Mullins (1853 – 1935) had a son named Timothy in 1880. Sheila, you may recall back in July 2021, on page 31 of this thread, when this McNamara family was investigated in the search for the Timothy McNamara who had been working on the Key West Extension railway in Florida and drowned and was eaten by sharks in July of 1917. Timothy born in 1880 died in 1889, and the identity of the Timothy McNamara of County Clare eaten by sharks is still a mystery. But it is amazing that a newspaper article from an 1886 murder investigation would provide the evidence that two McNamara families, one that had been previously researched, were related.

Despite being born three years apart, John McNamara (1847 – 1928) and John McNamara (1850 – 1900), both of Killanena townland, were not first cousins, but I reckon first cousins once removed. Timothy McNamara (≈1797 – 1899) was in his fifties when his son John was born in 1850.

Timothy McNamara (≈1797 – 1899) and Roger McNamara (≈1772 – 1864), the grandfather, I reckon, of John McNamara (1847 – 1928), were likely brothers, thus creating the cousin relationship noted at the time of Michael McNamara’s murder in 1886. When future evidence becomes available on-line, such as land records and the early civil death records from 1864 to 1870, it may further support this theory or disprove it.

Further evidence that Roger McNamara and Timothy McNamara were indeed brothers, under the family tree construction below, is that they both appear to have had a first born son named John McNamara. There was a John McNamara of Killenena townland in Clonlea Parish in the Tithe Applotment Books, dated 1 March 1827; the land valuation was £21.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00100.pdf

Possible further evidence can be found in the Clonlea graveyard transcriptions (County Clare library), although no townland was reported and Rodger McNamara is a very common name in the other townlands surrounding Killanena:
John McNamara & brother Rodger 1836. To the memory of Rodgr McNamara depd this life 27th June 1804 and Ellon his bride on 17th May 1831

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ptions.htm
If the headstone did in fact relate to the McNamara’s of Killanena, then the Roger McNamara who died in 1804 (say, born in 1710 or 1720), and who was the father of a John McNamara and a Rodger McNamara, then, I reckon, this John McNamara (say, born in 1750) could have been the father of Rodger McNamara (≈1772 – 1864) and Timothy McNamara (≈1797 – 1899). This created the cousin relationship when Michael McNamara was murdered on the evening of 31 August 1886 and the servant Bridget Gleeson was ordered by John McNamara to go to his cousin, John McNamara (Thady), of Enagh Cross, Killanena townland, Kilkishen.

At the coroner inquest for Michael McNamara, the location of John McNamara’s cousin was stated to be at Enagh, “about fifteen perches from the house”. One perch equals 21 feet. 15 perches would be 315 feet (or 96 meters), about the length of one American football field. Looking at the map that accompanies the 1855 Griffith Valuation report, the home of Timothy McNamara at Plot 8 at Enagh Cross in Killanena was just down the road from Roger McNamara and Michael McNamara of Plots 9abc. Visually looking at the map, and using their metric scale, I’d say it was closer to 150 meters or about 23 perches. The two-story stone house of Plot 9 where Michael McNamara was murdered in 1886 is still in existence today.

1.0 Roger McNamara (≈1772 – 1864) and wife Mary (≈1805 – 1871)

In the Tithe Applotment Books, dated 1 March 1827, there was a Roger McNamara at Kilenenagh townland in Clonlea Parish. The total valuation of his land was £32. However, this holding probably relates to the Rodger McNamara who died in 1836, per headstone transcription noted above.

At 1855 Griffith Valuation, Roger McNamara held Plot 9ac in Killanena (Clonlea); houses, offices, & land; lessor Henry Thomas Baylee; over 24 acres; valuation £18 and 5 shillings. At Plot 9b, Michael McNamara held a house, office & land, just 1 rood, valued at £1 and 15 shillings. Michael McNamara also held Plots 4ABC of “Land (See also 9b)” of about 34 acres, valued at £22. Most likely, I reckon, Michael McNamara was the son of Roger McNamara. See way below: 1.2 Michael McNamara (≈1816 – 1880).

Roger McNamara of Kilenenagh [Killanena] died on 1 April 1864 per the Clonlea Death Register (1843-1878). Per the civil death index, Roger McNamara died in 1864 at the age of 92 years. When the civil death record becomes available on-line, the informant’s name will be interesting and possibly confirm that Michael McNamara was indeed his son. Also, that Roger McNamara’s marital status in 1864 was “married”.

The “Widow McNamara” of Killenena died on 24 November 1871 per the Clonlea Death Register (1843-1878). Since after 1864, the civil death record must exist, but with no first name it was not easy to discover. “Mary Mack”, of Enagh, a widow of a labourer, died on 1 December 1871, informant Michael McNamara of Killanenagh reported on 21 December 1871 (Tulla registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 281053.pdf

Roger McNamara (≈1772 – 1864) and wife Mary (≈1805 – 1871) were likely the parents of at least two sons, and likely daughters (several McNamara women of Killanena were married prior to 1864 in the O’Callaghan marriage register, however, I did not research).

.................. 1.1 John McNamara (≈1815 - <1855)

First born son named after his paternal grandfather. With a son born about 1850, John McNamara would have been born prior to the 1835 start of the O’Callaghan Mills baptism register. I could find no record for this John McNamara other than the 1889 marriage record of a Daniel McNamara of Killanena in which John was reported as his father. I believe that John McNamara died prior to 1855 Griffith Valuation.

Was John McNamara the “McNamara” who died of fever at Enagh Cross on 2 May 1849 per the Clonlea Death Register (1843-1878)?

Who was the Catherine McNamara at Griffith Valuation in Killanena townland Plot 7b, immediate lessor reported as “Free”, of a house with a valuation of 15 shillings? Was she the widow of John McNamara? Who does Plot 7b in Killanena get transferred to?

Who was the Mary McNamara at Griffith Valuation in Killanena townland Plot 5b, adjacent to the James McNamara in Plots 5ac? Combined acreage only 1 acre, 2 roods, and 30 perches; James with a valuation of only £1, and Mary with a valuation of 15 shillings. Was Mary McNamara the widow of John McNamara? Who does their land transfer to?

................................ 1.1.1 Daniel McNamara (≈1849? ≈1852? – 1924)

No baptism record has been discovered. When Daniel McNamara married in 1889 his wife was much younger than him. Daniel’s year of birth varied from 1858 when he married at the reported age of 31 in 1889, to census reports and his death record reflecting a birth in 1852. Entirely possible that Daniel was born in 1849, and his father was the “McNamara” who died of fever at Enagh Cross on 2 May 1849. This would explain why Daniel McNamara appears to have had no siblings.

Daniel McNamara and his bride married in Limerick outside their respective home parishes in Clare. Not sure why this would be done. Daniel McNamara, “age 31”, farmer, of Killanena, Kilkishen, son of John McNamara, married Margaret Bugler, “age 18”, daughter of James Bugler, of [difficult to read townland] in Mount Shannon, on 9 March 1889 at the church of the Immaculate Conception in Limerick; witnesses Rody McNamara and Pat Bugler.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 911988.pdf

Margaret Bugler was born on 5 September 1866 to James Bugler and Bridget Fahy of [difficult to read townland] in Mount Shannon (Scariff registration). Her parents had five children baptized in the Clonrush Parish baptism register (1846-1880), but no baptisms were reported in the register from November 1865 to November 1866, the period when Margaret Bugler was born.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 288569.pdf

At the coroner investigation regarding the death of Michael McNamara of Killanena in 1886, Constable James Cochrane deposed that he was on patrol duty on the night of the murder, accompanied by Constable Riordan. Walking toward the direction of shots heard on the evening of the 31 August 1886 they “met two persons—Daniel and Michael M’Namara—coming towards them for the police”.

Daniel McNamara, of Kilanena, married, 71 years old, farmer, died on 21 June 1924; informant his daughter, Mary McNamara (Scariff registration). Margaret McNamara, of Kilanena, widow of a farmer, 70 years old, died on 30 January 1932; informant daughter Mary McNamara (Scariff registration).

Daniel McNamara (≈1852 – 1924) and Margaret Bugler (1866 – 1932) of Killanena were the parents of eight children: <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>

................................................. 1.1.1.1 John Joseph McNamara (age 11 in 1901), of Enagh, was born on 2 April 1890 (Tulla registration). <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>
JOHN McNAMARA of Killanena, Co. Clare, was tried by a District Court-Martial held at Limerick on 11th October, 1920, under Reg. 79 R.O.I.R. The accused who was not legally represented pleaded not guilty.

The evidence showed that at Killanena on 17th September 1920, a printed document when the house in which accused lived was searched a document was found entitled “Handbook No. 1, an introduction to Volunteer Training, Irish Republican Army, Official Publication.” The accused stated he had taken no part in the Volunteer Movement the four or five years and had never seen the document before . . .[unclear]. . . but it probably belonged to his brother or sister who went to [unclear words] or five years ago. The [unclear words] found guilty and sentenced to imprisonment without [unclear] for 4 months.

Ireland, Courts Martial Files, 1916-1922 (per ancestry website)
John McNamara, age 30, of “Killenona, Kilkeshen, Co. Clare”, was admitted to Kilkenny Jail on 7 October 1920 on the charge of “Retoration of Order in Ireland Seditions Literature”. Source: Ireland Prison Registers, 1790-1924.

................................................. 1.1.1.2 Bridget “Celia” McNamara (age 8 in 1901), of Enagh, was born on 8 January 1893 (Tulla registration). <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>
................................................. 1.1.1.3 James Mathew McNamara (age 6 in 1901), of Enagh, was born on 11 May 1894 (Tulla registration). <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>
................................................. 1.1.1.4 William McNamara (age 4 in 1901) <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>
................................................. 1.1.1.5 Mary McNamara (age 3 in 1901) <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>
................................................. 1.1.1.6 Josephine McNamara (age 0 in 1901) <Killanena, Kilkishen, House 1, House 9>
................................................. 1.1.1.7 Kathleen McNamara (age 7 in 1911) <Killanena, Kilkishen, x, House 9>
................................................. 1.1.1.8 Unknown McNamara

.................. 1.2 Michael McNamara (≈1816 – 1880)

Michael McNamara was born prior to the 1835 start of the O’Callaghan Mills baptism register. He was married to Mary Malone sometime about 1840, but likely in a neighboring parish with no marriage records (or I missed finding it).

See land holdings at 1855 Griffith Valuation as noted under “1.0 Roger McNamara” above.

Michael McNamara was likely the informant in 1871 when “Mary Mack” of Killena died in 1871.

Michael McNamara of “Killennind” last paid for an annual dog license for his male grey sheep dog for the year ending 31 March 1880 (Six Mile Bridge courthouse dog register).

Michael McNamara, of Enagh, farmer, married, age 64, died on 27 November 1880; informant Marie McNamara, not stated, but his wife (per Tulla civil registration, reported as Galway in error). Mary Malone McNamara died between 1880 and 1901, possibly at a workhouse which acted as a hospital in later decades. She was not mentioned as being at the house of her son John McNamara on the night of 31 August 1886 when Michael McNamara was murdered. Thus, likely Mary Malone McNamara died sometime between 1880 and 1886.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 856147.pdf

Michael McNamara (≈1816 – 1880) and Mary Malone (≈1820? – < 1901) of Killanena were the parents of five children between 1843 and 1850:

................................ 1.2.1 Bridget McNamara (1843 – after 1901), “B. McNamara”, no residence reported, was baptized in December 1843; sponsors Rody McNamara and M. McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1835-1850). The sponsors were likely her grandparents.

Bridget McNamara, of Kilenenagh, daughter of farmer Michael McNamara, married Thomas Hanly, of Derrymore, a widower, son of farmer Robert Hanly, on 23 January 1875, at the Catholic chapel at Kilkishen, by the parish priest Patrick Quaid, witnesses Daniel McNamara and Mary Anne McNamara.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 103654.pdf

There is no corresponding Catholic marriage record in 1875 in the O’Callaghan Mills parish register. There are just three marriage entries in 1875, followed by the comment “Rev. Denis Cleary appointed P.P. of O’Callaghan Mills, June 26, 1875”. The documentation of their marriage may have been lost in transition of the parish priest.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 6/mode/1up

When married in 1875, the widower Thomas Hanly of Derrymore Carmody (Tulla parish) had previously fathered eight children with Bridget Bingham from 1855 to 1872. Thomas Hanly (≈1826 – 1886) and Bridget McNamara (1843 – after 1901) don’t appear to have had any children of their own. Bridget Hanly (age 55) was living with her sister, Elizabeth Donnellon, in the 1901 census. Her later whereabouts after 1901 are unknown. <Clashduff, Kilkishen, House 5, unknown>

................................ 1.2.2 Elizabeth McNamara (1848 – 1935), of Enagh, was baptized on 29 June 1845; sponsors Daniel McNamara and Bridget ___gane (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1835-1850).

Eliza McNamara, of Enagh, daughter of Michael McNamara, married Patrick Donnellon, age 35, son of farmer Timothy Donnellon, on 28 May 1885 at the Catholic chapel of O’Callaghan Mills, by the curate Denis O’Brien; witnesses Frederick Boyle and Maria McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills marriages, 1835-1881).

Patrick Donnellan (≈1840 - 1900) and Elizabeth McNamara (1848 – 1935) of Clashduff were the parents of two daughters, but still managed to keep their land in the Donnellan name for the next generation: <Clashduff, Kilkishen, House 5, House 5>

................................................. 1.2.2.2 Mary Teresa Donnellan (age 16 in 1901)
Mary Teresa Donnellon, of Clashduff, daughter of Patrick Donnellon, married Cornelius Donnellon, of Clashduff, son of Patrick Donnellon [and Mary Anne Fitzgerald per 1884 birth record], on 19 February 1908, at the Catholic church at O’Callaghan Mills, by the parish priest Denis Cleary; witnesses Patrick Donlon and Bridget Cecelia Donlon (Tulla civil registration). <Clashduff, Kilkishen, House 5, House 5>
............................................................... 1.2.2.2.1 Patrick Donnellan (age 2 in 1911)
............................................................... 1.2.2.2.2 Elizabeth Donnellan (age 1 in 1911)
................................................. 1.2.2.3 Bridget Donnellan (age 12 in 1901) <Clashduff, Kilkishen, House 5, House 5>

................................ 1.2.3 John McNamara (1847 – 1928), of Kilenena, was baptized on 21 February 1847; sponsors Henry Carmody and Margaret Malone (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1835-1850).

John McNamara, of Kilkishen (parish), “age 25”, son of farmer Michael McNamara, married Margaret Walsh, of Cratloe, age 24, daughter of farmer James Walsh, on 18 February 1882 at the Catholic chapel at Cratloe by the parish priest H O’Farrel; witnesses Rody McNamara and Mary Anne Naughton (Limerick registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 007248.pdf

On the evening of 31 August 1886, Michael McNamara, a laborer working for John McNamara, was murdered. John McNamara ordered his servant, Bridget Gleeson, to go to his cousin, John McNamara, at Enagh Cross. Bridget Gleeson and Mrs. Margaret McNamara testified at the magisterial investigation in Limerick on 14 September 1886.

“Margaret Walsh-Byrnes” was baptized on 11 February 1857, parents James Walsh-Byrnes and Mary Sitright of Cratloe, per Cratloe parish baptisms (1857-1877). The unusual dual surname of the baptism record solved the perplexing mystery why the first two children of John McNamara (1847 – 1928) and Margaret Walsh (1857 – 1926) had the mother’s maiden name as “Walsh” and the youngest three as “Burns”. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 2, House 8>

................................................. 1.2.3.1 Michael McNamara (age 16 in 1901), of Enagh, was born on 8 July 1884, mother reported as “Margaret Walsh” per informant, the midwife Bridget Turner. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 2, House 8>
................................................. 1.2.3.2 John McNamara (age 14 in 1901), of Enagh, was born on 22 June 1886, mother reported as “Margaret Walsh” per informant, the midwife Bridget Turner. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 2, House 8>
................................................. 1.2.3.3 Bridget McNamara (age 12 in 1901), of Enagh, born on 3 December 1887, mother reported as “Margaret Burns” by informant, father John McNamara. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 2, House 8>
................................................. 1.2.3.4 James McNamara (age 10 in 1901), of Enagh, born on 2 January 1891, mother reported as “Margaret Burns” by informant, the midwife Bridget Turner. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 2, x>
................................................. 1.2.3.5 Margaret McNamara (age 8 in 1901), of Enagh, born on 5 September 1892, mother reported as “Margaret Burns” according to informant, the midwife Bridget Turner. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 2, House 8>
................................................. 1.2.3.6 Unknown McNamara, parents of 6 children, 6 surviving per 1911 census.

................................ 1.2.4 Mary McNamara (1849 – unknown), of Enagh, was baptized on 4 May 1849; sponsors James Egan and Margaret Malone (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1835-1850).

................................ 1.2.5 Margaret McNamara (1850 – unknown), of Enagh, was baptized on 20 September 1850; sponsors Daniel McNamara & Margaret McNamara (O’Callaghan Mills baptisms, 1835-1850).

*** below family tree based on research completed on page 31 back in July 2021, only renumbering and reformatting and minor changes:

2.0 Timothy "Teady" McNamara (≈1797 – 1899) and Margaret Mason of Killanena Townland

In 1855 Griffiths Valuation for Killanena townland in the Parish of Clonlea, Timothy McNamara has leased plots 8A and 8B; houses, offices & land; lessor Henry Thomas Baylee; about 10 acres with a valuation of £9 and 10 shillings. The location of his residence, and that of his descendants, was often given as neighboring Enagh townland. Timothy McNamara's Plot 8A in Killanena townland included the north and west quadrants of "Enagh Cross", the intersection of two roads which form an "X" on maps.

Timothy McNamara, at Kilanena, widower, farmer, 102 years old, died on 12 December 1899; informant son John McNamara of Kilanena (Tulla civil registration). The age of 102 was circled by a reviewer as perhaps the age was considered unlikely. Was Timothy McNamara born around 1797? Mary McNamara was born to Timothy McNamara and Margaret Mason in 1848, when Timothy would have been about 50 years old. Timothy would have been 60 years old when youngest son Michael was born in 1858. Possible of course, but I reckon probably an exaggeration of at least a few years.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 633595.pdf

Timothy "Teady" McNamara (≈1797 - 1899) and Margaret Mason (≈1820? ≈1830? - before 1899) of Killanena (at Enagh Cross) were the parents of five children between 1848 and 1855:

Their first born son, although with no marriage record this is an assumption, appears to be John McNamara, born in 1850 in Killenanagh. In the Tithe Applotment Books, dated 1 March 1827, there was a John McNamara at Kilenenagh townland in Clonlea Parish, possibly the father of Timothy McNamara.

.................. 2.1 Mary McNamara (1848 – unknown), of Killenena, baptized on 20 March 1848; sponsors Patt Grace, Betty Mason.

.................. 2.2 John McNamara (1850 – 1900), of Killenagh, unclear record (only traces of "J" and top loop of "h" are visible), baptized on 27 (?) July 1850; sponsors John O'Brien, Ellen Mason.

John McNamara, farmer, of Enagh, son of farmer Timothy McNamara, married Penelope Mullins, of Enagh, daughter of farmer John Mullins (and Mary Marinan per 1853 baptism) on 29 September 1877 at the RC chapel at O'Callaghan Mills; witnesses John Carmody, Ellen Murphy. John McNamara, at Enagh, farmer, married, age 49 years, died on 21 March 1900 (only three months after his "102" year old father); informant son James McNamara. <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, House 10> Penelope McNamara, widow of a farmer, age "70 years" (in fact, 82 years old based upon baptism and consistent with 1901 and 1911 census age), died at Enagh on 29 March 1935; informant son Timothy McNamara of Enagh.

John McNamara and Penelope Mullins were witnesses at the February 1877 marriage of Michael McNamara (of Enagh, son of Thomas McNamara) and Penelope Gleeson (of New Park, daughter of John Gleeson). So there were two Penelope McNamara's living in the same neighborhood which could be confusing. See family tree in my prior posting.

When Michael McNamara was murdered on the evening of 31 August 1886, his employer, John McNamara ordered his servant, Bridget Gleeson, to go to John McNamara (Thady) at Enagh Cross about 15 perches away. The fact that the top priority was to notify John McNamara (Thady) of Enagh Cross, as well as John McNamara and Penelope Mullins being the witnesses at the 1877 marriage of Michael McNamara to Penelope Gleeson, point to a very close relationship.

John McNamara (1850 – 1900) and Penelope Mullins (1853 – 1935) of Enagh Cross in Killanena townland were the parents of eight children:

................................ 2.2.1 Mary Anne "Marion" McNamara (1878 – 1959 in Chicago), of Killenenagh, baptized on 23 August 1878; sponsors Michael Carmody, Anastasia Carmody.

Arrived in USA in 1900 per 1920 census. Marion McNamara, "age 23", married Patrick T. Harrington, "age 24", on 3 October 1906 in Chicago. The Harrington family were living in Chicago on Crawford Avenue in 1920; and North Talman Avenue in 1930. Marion Harrington died in September 1959. Obituary stated "fond brother of James"; surviving children included two nuns (Chicago Tribune, 4 September 1959).
................................................. 2.2.1.1 Margaret Harrington (age 12 in 1920 census)
................................................. 2.2.1.2 Elizabeth Harrington (age 11 in 1920 census). Sister Mary Patricine, B.V.M.
................................................. 2.2.1.3 Baby Boy Harrington (died in infancy in 1910)
................................................. 2.2.1.4 Marion Harrington (age 8 in 1920 census)
................................................. 2.2.1.5 Genevieve Harrington (age 7 in 1920 census). Sister Mary Judette, B.V.M.
................................................. 2.2.1.6 Loretta Harrington (age 5 in 1920 census)
................................................. 2.2.1.7 Adelaide Harrington (age 3 in 1920 census)
................................................. 2.2.1.8 James Harrington (1920 - 1922)
................................................. 2.2.1.9 John Harrington (age 8 in 1930 census)

................................ 2.2.2 Timothy McNamara (1880 – 1889), of Killenenagh, baptized on 17 August 1880; sponsors James Mullins, Ellen Murphy. Tulla civil birth registration states residence as Enagh.

Timothy McNamara, age six years, son of a farmer, of Enagh, died of whooping cough on 3 January 1889; informant father John McNamara.

................................ 2.2.3 Michael McNamara (1882 – 1926), of Enagh, born on 13 September 1882 (Tulla registration); informant Bridget Turner of Kilkishen (a midwife in 1901 census). <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, House 10>

................................ 2.2.4 John McNamara (1885 – < 1911), of Killenena, born on 1 February 1885 (Tulla registration); informant Mary Curtin of Killeen (the midwife). <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, x>

Mrs. Penelope McNamara reported in 1911 that she was the mother of eight children, and six children were surviving. Since all other siblings were accounted for, John McNamara must have died between 1901 and 1911, but only if the 1911 census was accurate as far as "children living".

................................ 2.2.5 James McNamara (1887 – 1966 in Chicago), of Enagh, born on 20 August 1887 (Tulla civil registration). Informant on death record of father in 1900 (only 13 years old?). <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, x>

Unknown location in 1911. James McNamara, age 33, single, of Kilkishen, left Queenstown and arrived in New York on the SS Carmania on 25 February 1921; mother Penelope "McCarthy" (a clerk's mistake, several McCarthy's were directly below on the passenger listing); going to sister Mrs. P.T. Harrington of 948 N. Lockwood Ave., Chicago. Declared to become a U.S. citizen on 28 May 1921. Per 1927 U.S. naturalization, wife Mary Gorman was born in Ireland on 22 September 1900; one witness was Cornelius Doherty (his brother-in-law). 1966 obituary: "James McNamara, beloved husband of Mary, nee Gorman; loving father of Marguerite and the late Mary Ellen; dear brother of Timothy of Ireland, and the late Marion Harrington, and Margaret Doherty. . . Resurrection church . . . Holy Sepulchre cemetery" (Chicago Tribune, 17 January 1966).
................................................. 2.2.5.1 Mary Ellen McNamara, born in Chicago on 7 December 1926 per father's U.S. naturalization papers dated 17 October 1927. Died in Chicago on 29 March 1928.
................................................. 2.2.5.2 Margaret McNamara, (born in Illinois; age 2 in 1930 census)

................................ 2.2.6 Margaret "Gretta" McNamara (1890 – 1924 in Chicago), of Enagh, born on 10 February 1890 (Tulla registration); informant Bridget Turner of Kilkishen (a midwife in the 1901 census). <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, House 10>

Gretta McNamara, age 21, single, of Killenana, left Queenstown and arrived in New York on the SS Caronia on 13 July 1913; mother Penelope McNamara of Killenena, Kilkishen; going to sister Marion Harrington of Chicago. Married Cornelius Doherty in Chicago on 18 January 1917 (see note * below). Obituary: "Margaret A. Doherty, nee McNamara, beloved wife of Cornelius, fond mother of Ellen, Cecilia, John A., and James E., sister of Mrs. P.T. Harrington, and James McNamara, born in Kilkishen, County Clare, Ireland. Funeral Monday, April 28 . . . Our Lady of Angels Church . . ." (Chicago Tribune, 27 April 1924, page 10).

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/191 ... a.-doherty

................................................. 2.2.6.1 Helen Doherty (age 2 in 1920)
................................................. 2.2.6.2 John A. Doherty (age 0 in 1920)
................................................. 2.2.6.3 Cecilia Doherty (per above obit)
................................................. 2.2.6.4 James E. Doherty (per above obit)

................................ 2.2.7 Ellen McNamara (1892 – after 1911), of Enagh, born on 23 July 1892 (Tulla registration). <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, House 10>

................................ 2.2.8 Timothy McNamara (1895 – after 1935), of Enagh, born on 23 March 1895, mother reported as "Mary Mullins" (Tulla registration); informant Bridget Turner of Kilkishen, a midwife . <Killenana, Kilkishen, House 3, House 10> Timothy was informant in 1935 on death record of mother Penelope McNamara.

.................. 2.3 Margaret McNamara (1853 – unknown), of Killinena, baptized on 2 April 1853; sponsors James Mullins, Margaret Tracy (?).

.................. 2.4 Timothy McNamara (1855 – unknown), of Killenena, baptized on 13 June 1855; sponsors John McNamara, Mary White.

.................. 2.5 Michael McNamara (1858 – unknown), of Killonena, baptized on 27 March 1858; sponsors Michael McNamara, Honora Hallinan.

The motive for the murder of Michael McNamara in 1886 that was initially reported by the newspapers at the time of the coroner’s inquest was that “the only reason assigned for the perpetration of the deed is that he was suspected of having given information that led to the arrest of a man who was convicted of a savage assault at Newmarket-on-Fergus”. How likely was that to be the true motive for the murder?

To be continued,

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:09 pm

Hi Jimbo,

Firstly, well done discovering that McNamara has been transcribed as “MNamara”, and so often. The online transcriptions of the G.R.O. records usually allow for some variations, so I am surprised to hear that “MNamara” was not recognised as “McNamara” and was treated as a separate surname. As you say, this will be of great interest to genealogists and researchers. Jimbo, I remember that you mentioned, previously, that “MacNamara” was treated as a separate surname in some marriage records, but I forget exactly what you said – was it Scarriff Union records?

You have done a massive amount of research on the Killanena (Clonlea), Enagh and Clashduff McNamaras, with the help of that murder case, plus the Clonlea death register, plus a lot more work using other sources. Thank you for all of that.

Good work finding that Margaret Walsh Burns/Byrnes was recorded under both names.

One very minor thing: On two occasions you give the date of death of Timothy McNamara, born 1880 to John McNamara and Penelope Mullins, as 1889, but that should be 1887: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 780056.pdf

That was a most interesting post. And I’m sure we will encounter some of those McNamaras again.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:43 pm

First, I second Sheila's praise for doing so much on this portion of the McNamara families in and around Kilkishen, for what seems to be the most original lineage(s), with the inter-relationships as outlined among the men both named John McNamara in 1871 when Michael was murdered. I have some news items on hand, as to John of Knockatoureen and a possible motivation for the 1871 outrage. You likely have picked up on the fact that there is some difference in social status/financial means among he various McNamara families of Kilkishen (and we haven't even gotten to the other McN families of that era, like the blacksmith, also named John McNamara).

Here is what I have that certainly applies to John McN of Knockatoureen, for his daughters in Australia:

The Argus (Melbourne, Victoria) 7 Feb 1923
McNamara - On the 16th, December, at his home, Knockatoureen, Kilkishen, County Clare, Ireland, John McNamara, the loved father of Bride [sic] and Mrs. T. Mooney...

The Advocate (Melbourne, Victoria) 24 May 1919
Mooney-McNamara On April 21st, at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Melbourne... Thomas O'B [sic], youngest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Mooney of...Wangaratta, to Mary Ellen, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McNamara, of Kilkishen, Clare, Ireland.

Here's what I have had on hand for eons, without keeping the newspaper title (which likely was the Freeman's Journal):

24 Feb 1845
Ann McMahon was next put forward, charged with burglariously [sic] entering the house of Mr. Daniel McNamara at Kilkishen and stealing therefrom six gold rings, one gold pin, eight brooches, and several articles of wearing apparel, his property. The prisoner, it appeared, lived with the prosecutor [i.e. the victim who brought charges against her] in the capacity of servant, and the evidence not being sufficient to sustain the charge of burglary [i.e. Ann had permission to be in the house], the jury found her guilty of the theft only.

So, back in the harsh times when the Great Famine would make a hard life that much worse, there was a very prosperous McNamara family and a young woman from a local McMahon family who made a very bad decision, which set off a decades-long grudge against the well-off McNamara group. Note that the Knockatoureen family kept leaving the vicinity for its weddings and discontinued having a McMahon amid its baptismal sponsors.

I will next do a posting here on the other end of the financial scale in Kilkishen, in the nearby McNamera families, which also had its hardships during the Famine years but maybe not too directly related to the prosperous ones of Knockatoureen.

BTW, Jimbo, good for Sheila about pointing out the slight year discrepancy between your typing 1887 and the actual 1889. Your typing is far superior to mine, and we know you can readily do the edits to make it all perfect. So, I suggest going back to the last place that you typed about Mary Mullins McNamara Clune, and being sure to put "Mullins" in for the "Madden" that you typed.

Job well done,
Sharon C.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:55 am

I am keeping this posting to a bare minimum, in the interest of getting out basic info on the "universe" of McNamara families in and around Kilkishen currently under Jimbo's scrutiny. There is a lot more information on hand (in my files) regarding the 6 Dec 1849 eviction - the chain of leases involved, the Donnellan lineages affected, who disappeared entirely afterward, etc. Suffice it to say that my Donnellan direct line survived this event only by the eldest daughter being of a marriageable age and catching the attention of a Lakyle man. Her widowed mother and 2 siblings were essentially erased from Kilkishen history, although her uncle Cornelius Donnellan made use of his Doogan/Duggan connection to get back to Clashduff after the dust settled. This event was a large concern for the parish priest, Fr. Quaid, who instantly corrected a newspaper account trying to mislabel the townland as Cappaduff.

There was no later accounting of what happened to the displaced residents whose cabins were destroyed. The other Donnellan lineage (patriarch Timothy) had the good fortune of a descendant already residing at the adjacent Backfield (aka Gortadroma or sometimes Gortnadroma), so they got past this event fairly well and went on to be the Donnellan line with which Kilkishen is associated in modern times. The McNamara families are a different matter, and maybe Jimbo can ferret out their fates. Thankfully, more clearances did not instantly follow; other Kilkishen townlands were owned by the Studdert family, who became known (and tolerated) for being in the "good landlord" set.

I am indebted to Clare's fine historian Ciaran O Murchadha (my keyboard is not set up properly for the correct Irish spelling) who on his own initiative in July 2000 sent to me the original newspaper account of the eviction, which I am altering now to display in a list format with McNamara in bold font. This all was typed out by him in his email to me, which might account for a discrepancy or the original news article could have contained a typo or two:

Limerick and Clare Examiner, edition: 12 Dec 1849
The following is a list of persons evicted, on Thursday, 6th instant, from Classduff, the property of the Earl of Limerick, Parish of Clonlea, Ennis Union:

[shown below in list format, in the original as all one paragraph]
Michael Magrath (5),
Widow Malone (3),
Michael Ryan, (wife, 6),
Thomas Bennis (wife, 2),
Thomas Donnelon (wife, 4),
Orphans (Widow P.D., 4),
Michael M'lnerney (wife,2),
Thomas Grace (wife,2),
John Flynne (wife,1),
Widow Donnelon,
Thady M'lnerney (wife,6),
James Donnelon (wife,1),
Widow Donnelon, John (4),
Widow Donnelon, Pat (5),
Widow Donnellon, Michl (3),
Thomas M'Namara (wife, 4),
Widow M'Namara, Tom (6),
Lot M'Namara (wife,2),

Pat Frawley (4),
Widow M'Namara, Pat (5),
Martin Meany (wife,3),
Edmund Lahiff (wife,3),
Widow Doogan.

The houses of the foregoing occupiers were levelled to the ground.

The houses of the following occupiers were locked, and the inmates left on the road:-
Widow Magrath (1),
Widow M'Donnell (3),
Thomas M'Namara (2),
Michael Dooqan (wife, 2),
James Grace (3),

The piercing cries of the evicted creatures rent the air, and were heard over a mile's distance.

[end of article]

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:09 pm

Hi Jimbo and Sharon

As you both know, the surname Mack in Co. Clare is a variant of McNamara/MacNamara, but in other counties it may stand for some other surname beginning with “Mc”, so it is understandable that the G.R.O. records online treat Mack as a surname in its own right. There were quite a few Kilkishen McNamaras who registered births, deaths and marriages as "Mack", and it is easy to forget that, so I am adding here a list of those Macks. I have taken them in the order in which they appear online.

Kilkishen Registration District (Tulla Union)

Denis Mack Birth 28 June 1865, Ballymacdonnell, to Patt Mack and Nony Farrell: (no image).

7 Feb 1905: Marriage of Michael Doloughty, Farmer, Toonagh, son of Matt Doloughty, Farmer, to Mary Mack, Sixmilebridge, daughter of Pat Mack, Farmer, in Kilmurry chapel; witnesses: James Russel, Annie McNamara: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 695587.pdf

29 Jul 1871: Marriage of John O’Brien, Dealer, Tulla, son of William O’Brien, deceased, Farmer(?) to Margaret Mack, Servant, Tulla, daughter of Jas. Mack, Labourer; witnesses: William Hayes, Mary Hayes: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 891753.pdf

7 May 1874, Ballymacdonnell: Death of Anne Mack, widow of a farmer, aged 87; informant: Bridget Mack, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 248662.pdf

1 Dec 1871, Enagh: Death of Mary Mack, widow of a labourer, aged 65; informant: Michael McNamara, Killanenagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 281053.pdf

22 Feb 1898, Enagh: Birth of Mary to Dan Mack, Farmer, and Margaret Bugler; informant: Bridget Turner, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 793966.pdf

20 May 1882, Ballymacdonnell: Birth of Michael to Denis Mack, farmer, and Mary Mack; informant: Denis Mack, father, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 020101.pdf

7 Jun 1881, Enagh: Birth of Margaret to Anthony Mack, farmer, and Margaret Boyce; informant: Anthony Mack, father, Enagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 032024.pdf

8 Apr 1880, Ballysheen: Birth of Pat to Pat Mack, farmer, and Ellen McMahon; informant: Pat Mack, father, Ballysheen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 051444.pdf

15 Jan 1877, Ballymacdonnell: Birth of Mary to Denis Mack, farmer, and Mary Mack; informant: Mary Mack, mother, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 106447.pdf

18 Feb 1878, Ballysheen: Birth of Bridget to Pat Mack, farmer, and Ellen McMahon; informant: Pat Mack, father, Ballysheen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 089335.pdf

25 Sep 1878, Enagh: Birth of Mary Anne to John Mack, farmer, and Penelope Mullins; informant: Bridget Robinson, Enagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 076795.pdf

17 Aug 1876, Enagh: Birth of Hana to Patt Mack, farmer, and Mary Hanneen; informant: Ellen Hehir, Enagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 114932.pdf

24 Mar 1875, Enagh: Birth of Margaret to Anthony Mack, farmer, and Margaret Boyce; informant: Anthony Mack, father, Enagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 136120.pdf

1 Nov 1875, Ballysheen: Birth of Francis to Pat Mack, farmer, and Ellen McMahon; informant: Pat Mack, father, Ballysheen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 127915.pdf

23 Mar 1869, Ballymacdonnell: Birth of Anne to John Mack, farmer, and Mary Collins; informant: Mary Mack, mother, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 243881.pdf

10 Aug 1869, Ballymacdonnell: Birth of Thady to Pat Mack, farmer, and Honora Farrell; informant: Honora Mack, mother, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 235295.pdf

28 Jan 1864, Kilkishen: Birth of Michael to Michael Mack, Tailor, and Bridget Reirdan; informant: Michael Mack, father, Kilkishen.

28 Jan 1864, Kilkishen: Birth of Thomas to Michael Mack, Tailor, and Bridget Reirdan; informant: Michael Mack, father, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 337700.pdf

1 Feb 1864, Clonloum: Birth of John Hassett to John Hassett, labourer, and Mary Mack; informant: Bridget Fitzgerald, mother of Mary Mack: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 337700.pdf

5 Mar 1879, Enagh: Birth of Thomas to Pat Mack, farmer, and Mary Hannon; informant: Mary Mack, mother, Enagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 072652.pdf

7 Jun 1879, Enagh: Birth of Ellen to Thomas Mack, farmer, and Margaret Boyce: informant: Norry Dinan, Enagh: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 068131.pdf

10 Jun 1879, Enagh: Birth of Anne to Pat Mack, farmer, and Honora Farrel; informant: Mary Mack, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 068131.pdf

3 May 1873, Ballymacdonnell: Birth of John to Pat Mack, farmer, and Honora Farrel; informant: Honora Mack, mother, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 162019.pdf

7 Apr 1867, Ardane: Birth of Bridget to James Mack, farmer, and Bridget Cunneen; informant: Mary Culliny, Ardane: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 279656.pdf

6 Sep 1867, Kilkishen: Birth of Michael to Michael Mack, labourer, and Mary Lyddy; informant: Bridget Lyddy, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 275275.pdf

27 May 1867, Ballymacdonnell: Birth of Patt to Patt Mack, farmer, and Honora Farrell; informant: Honora Mack, mother, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 279657.pdf

15 Oct 1867, Kilkishen: Birth of Patt to Michael Mack, tailor, and Bridget Reardon; informant: Michael Mack, father, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 271163.pdf

14 Feb 1871, Newpark: Birth of Michael to Pat Mack, farmer, and Mary Hanneen; informant: Peggy Hallaren, Newpark: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 211697.pdf

20 Apr 1870, Derramore: Birth of Hanora to Anne Mack; informant: Ellen Hehir, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 211697.pdf

24 Dec 1869, Kilkishen: Birth of Margaret to Michael Mack, Tailor, and Bridget Reardon; informant: Michael Mack, father, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 230556.pdf

29 Aug 1866, Clonloum: Birth of Mary to James Mack, labourer, and Kitty Hanlon; informant: Bridget Hanlon, Clonloum: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 293099.pdf

10 Feb 1865, Kilkishen: Birth of Maria to Michael Mack, Tailor, and Bridget Rierdan: informant: Michael Mack, father, Kilkishen: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 320031.pdf

22 Nov 1865, Ardane: Birth of Catherine to James Mack, farmer, and Bridget Cunneen; informant: Mary Considine, Ardane: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 306798.pdf

3 Nov 1865, Derramore: Birth of John to Patt Mack, farmer, and Mary McMahon; informant: Patt Mack, father, Derramore: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 306798.pdf

4 Aug 1865, Kilmurry: Birth of Daniel to Michael Culliney, farmer, and Norry Mack; (no image)

Kilkishen Registration District, Tulla Union, but transcription appears under Galway Union

31 Oct 1883, Kilgory: Death of Mary Mack, widow of a farmer, aged 75; informant: Johanna Mack, daughter, Kilgory: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 819088.pdf

15 Sep 1880, Ballymacdonnell: Death of Pat Mack, bachelor, aged 21 months, child of a farmer; informant: Mary Mack, Ballymacdonnell: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 859119.pdf

Deaths of Macks registered in Tulla Union 1864-1871, which may, or may not be from Kilkishen district - image not yet available online:

Death of John Mack, 1868, aged 40.
Death of Mary Mack, 1868, aged 0.
Death of Pat Mack, 1868, aged 6.
Death of John Mack, 1868, aged 0.
Death of Denis Mack, 1875, aged 72.
Death of Michael Mack, aged 0.
Death of Thomas Mack, aged 20.
Death of James Mack, 1866, aged 26.
Death of Michael Mack, 1865, aged 0.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:32 am

Hi Jimbo,
I found your post regarding the separation of the surname “MacNamara” from “McNamara” in the G.R.O. transcriptions online. On Apr. 25 2019 you wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019:
With regards to the Irishgenealogy.ie search engine, I should clarify that it appears to pick up "MacNamara" when searching for "McNamara" baptisms and marriages, but it was only for the death records that didn't include MacNamara and McNamara in the same search results.
Jimbo, I’ve just been reading a new topic initiated yesterday (Mar 06, 2024) by Sharon Carberry: “Full-text search now online for filmed U.S. wills & deeds, free via FamilySearch.org”: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... 019#p15019
She gives some examples of what she has found via Family Search, and I was interested to see this example:
In FamilySearch.org category “San Francisco Wills 1919”:
Image 769 is the start of a document bearing a typed heading “In the High Court of Justice in Ireland, King’s Bench Division (Probate), which is a copy [labeled as such] of the Will of Andrew McNamara of Lahardine, County Clare, gentleman” dated 12 Aug 1918. Further statements in this file: “who died the 21st of May, 1918” with executors named as Patrick Collins of O’Callaghan’s Mills, ex National Teacher, and Patrick Brennan of Tulla, shopkeeper. Directs that money on hand be used to install a monument for decedent at Killuran Church. Only one bequest is made, to his brother Timothy McNamara: money at a Tulla Bank and in the Hibernia Savings & Loan, San Francisco CA, plus ownership of bog land at Derrymore.
I was reminded of my post made Apr 23, 2019 where I say
I think I have found the parents of Timothy and Andrew who are living in Lahardan in 1901. I looked at the transcription of The O’Callaghan’s Mills parish records and found Teady McNamara of Matt McNamara and Bridget Purcell, b. March 1846, in Ballymacdonnell; sponsors: Michael Elligot, Catherine McNamara. Then a search of “Purcell” showed me a Bridget McNamara of Mathew McNamara and Bridget Purcell, b. Jan. 1844 in Ballymacdonnell; sponsors: Thomas Canny, Margaret McNamara. A search of “Andrew” showed me an Andrew McNamara of Mathew McNamara and Bridget Xureex [close examination shows this is Purcell], b. Feb 1837 in Ballymacdonnell; sponsors: Dennis Hayes, Mary McNamara.

Looking at the McNamaras in the O’Callaghan’s Mills baptisms, I noticed that James McNamara and Kate Stundons, who are in Clonloum townland* for the baptism of their daughter Anne in June 1861, were in Derrymore (Tulla) for the baptisms of John on 29.06.1848, and for a second John on 11.07.1851. I think there was probably a lot of movement between Clonloum and Derrymore and surrounding townlands.
* in Clonlea civil parish and in O'Callaghan's Mills Catholic parish

You mention that irishgenealogy.ie does not recognize MacNamara as the same name as McNamara, and I discovered recently that some people were registered as Mack. It’s understandable, though, that Mack is not included under McNamara, as it was short for other surnames in other counties (as you found with one Thomas McEnroe earlier in this thread) - in Co. Cork it is short for McCarthy. There are 64 people registered as Mack in Tulla Union – most of these come from the registration districts of Kilkishen, and Quin, but remember that both these registration districts include a couple of townlands belonging to Tulla parish.

I looked through the Mack records and found nothing of interest (relevant to the search for Mary Madigan’s family), apart from a record of the birth of John Mack to Patrick Mack and Mary McMahon in Derramore (Derrymore East is in Kilkishen registration district). Derrymore East interests us because the Kyle Rate Book (1927) shows an Andrew Mack as the owner of Lot 1, which had been leased by Sylvester Murphy at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, and we are reminded of a connection between the Murphys and the McNamaras in Lahardan townland also.

Griffith’s Valuation for Derrymore East shows Patrick and James McNamara leasing lots 13 and 14. The 1901 and 1911 censuses show only the family of Thomas McNamara living in that townland, and a James McNamara, who is a servant in the household of John Bourke. Thomas had come from the neighbouring townland of Cloonloum, in the parish of Clonlea, according to the record of his marriage to Ellen Hogan in 1878**. James gives widely differing ages in the censuses: in 1901 he is 47; in 1911 he is 72, so it’s difficult to say when he was born, and if he was a descendant of either Patrick or James.

There is a Patrick McNamara who was living in Derrymore in the 1860s. He is the father of John Mack (above). He was married to Mary McMahon, and the Tulla baptisms show three baptisms for this couple:
23.06.1863: Mary of Patrick McNamara and Mary McMahon, Derrymore Carmody; sponsors: James McNamara, Mary Fitzgerald.
??.11.1865: John* of Pat McNamara and Mary McMahon, Derryanca(?)y; sponsors: Patrick McNamara, Catherine McGrath.
25.04.1868: Anne of Pat McNamara and Mary McMahon, Derrymore Carmody; sponsors: Mat McInerny, Mary McNamara.

*John was registered as John Mack, in 1865 (Kilkishen registration district, Tulla Union). The occupation of his father, Patt Mack, Derramore, is Farmer. His sister, Anne, was registered as Anne McNamara in 1868. This time the occupation of Pat is Labourer.

Death 12.10.1878: Mary McNamara, Derramore, aged 40, widow of Labourer; informant: Mary McNamara, present at death, Derramore. The death of Patrick sometime between 1868 and 1878 was probably registered, but not viewable yet.
Jimbo, In the space of a little over one year I had forgotten that I’d found the parents of Timothy and Andrew, and you then searched and found and them all over again – hence the following reply from me on Fri Jul 03, 2020:
Hi Jimbo
Once again, I am greatly impressed. I had looked at the O’Callaghan’s Mills Baptisms but had missed Andrew and Teady, whose baptisms fit so perfectly with the ages given at their deaths. So their parents are Matthew McNamara and Bridget Purcell - thank you for checking and finding that information (so quickly!). Also, I would never have thought of looking in Garruragh workhouse for Timothy – good work there too.

And the Petty Sessions are interesting as well, especially in showing a connection with Derrymore East. I think I understand now why the 1921 Rate Book for Kyle D.E.D. shows Andrew McNamara as having 4 acres,1 rood, 1 perch in the townland of Derrymore East (Lot1). Andrew had died by 1921, but officialdom hadn’t yet caught up with such a recent development (Andrew died in 1918). That Lot of 4 acres doesn’t correspond to the Lot 1 in Griffith’s Valuation (which was only 1 acre, 1 rood), so an extra piece must have been added, at some point, from another farm nearby. The Griffith’s Valuation map shows that Lot 1 in Derrymore East adjoins the townland of Laharden, and it seems the McNamaras did not keep their fences in good order – hence the complaint. That Rate Book for Kyle D.E.D. also shows Thady McNamara occupying a Tulla Rural District Council House, and it seems he was not keeping up with the rent. He also had a piece of bog (“of no value”) – which reminds me that one of the complaints often made against Griffith’s Valuation was that bogs were uniformly considered of no value, when in fact they greatly differed in value, the turf in one bog being much superior to the turf in another bog, and much more saleable, for instance.

Mea culpa Jimbo – I, and I alone, am to blame for the word “owner”. The heading on the column is “Name of Landholder (if any) on whose holding the house is situated whether that name appears in column 13 or not”. And “holding” is not the same as “owning” - a bitter truth we discover when we are only toddlers. We need to look at the Rate Books before we see these people as owners and then the term used is “in fee”. A transcription of Scarriff Rate books was donated by Tom McDowell – I think they are the only Rate books for Clare available online - and the Rate Book for Kyle D.E.D. is included: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 1_1926.htm.
Jimbo, as you know, I am fixated on the name Andrew McNamara because it was an Andrew McNamara who was witness at the marriage of Mary McNamara to James Madigan in Tulla parish, in 1860 (Mary was the missing man’s sister). So I think it is interesting that the Andrew living in Laharden/Derrymore East had savings in San Francisco – I don’t want to interrupt your train of thought on the Kilkishen McNamaras.

Sheila