Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:59 pm

Hi Jimbo

Well, I certainly did not expect that confirmation that Rev. Mr. Quinlivan was Patrick Quinlivan. Good work!

He may not have been the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan, who testified that he was Parish Priest in Doonass in 1822 and present at the marriage of Thomas Browne and Catherine O’Callaghan, but I do think he was the Rev. Pat Quinlivan who died at Lahinch in 1860 and I agree that “Inagh” was Nenagh.

I googled Rev. Patrick Quinlivan, Silvermines, and found this mention (regarding the likelihood of outrages) in the Registered Papers of the Chief Secretary’s Office, Natonal Archives: https://csorp.nationalarchives.ie/searc ... sults=true

I found a brief mention of him in an article entitled “Eugene O’Curry’s Early Life: details from an unpublished letter”, by Michael Herity, was more interesting – see page 145: http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/nmaj%2 ... Herity.pdf: The letter in question includes a paragraph beginning: “At length his mother-in-law, who is the sister of Patrick Quinlivan, P.P. of the Parish of Silvermines, Co. Tipperary, succeeded in getting him a small situation as one of the Keepers in the Lunatic Assylum [sic], Limerick … " Eugene O’Curry married to Anne Broughton of Killaderry (O’Brien), Kilseily parish. Anne was a daughter of John Broughton. The Broadford parish baptism register includes Kiladerry, but starts at 1844 which is too late for the baptism of Anne (or her sister, Mary, who married John O’Donovan).

Jimbo, I will have to take another while to puzzle over the most likely relationships between Quinlivans who applied for the vote in 1847. And, previously, in 1825. I seem to remember that James Reilly, who wrote a guide to Griffith's Valuation, was of the opinion that "Sen" and "Jun" meant father and son, but that's just Griffith's Valuation, plus it's just one opinion: https://leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/Griffiths.PDF
I also think that the two Jameses were named after an uncle, or grandfather - I don't think the name was plucked from the air. Also I am fairly sure that farms were often handed over on the marriage of the son who was to inherit - that would have been part of the marriage settlement - so I think Laurence and Tom do not have to be dead by the time of Griffith's Valuation, but they probably were.
Anyway, I will look at the various theories and see if I have anything useful to say.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:47 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for sharing the fascinating information that the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan was the uncle of two sisters who married Eugene O'Curry and John O'Donovan. Back in July, when I posted on page 46 the 1962 Irish stamp commemorating them both, I was not aware that O'Curry and O'Donovan had married the sisters Broughton of Broadford Parish. Nor, never in a million years, would I have imagined the wives of O'Curry and O'Donovan had Quinlivan first cousins whose lands at Garruragh would be given up to build the Tulla Workhouse. An absolutely fascinating connection.

Sheila, thank you for offering to solve the puzzle on how the Quinlivans listed in 1847 are related. I created a summarized family tree as easier to view my theory of the identity of those named in the 1847 application to be freeholders. A sibling connection, and possibly common father named James Quinlivan, for the first three (Mrs. Broughton, Thomas Quinlivan, and the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan) has evidence, but I'm not sure about Laurence Quinlivan.

On the 1825 Freeholder listing of Laurence Quinlivan, I have questions on the three names listed as "Lives on lease": Edmond, John and James Quinlivan. Are these three children of Laurence Quinlivan listed in age order? If so, Laurence appears to have had a eldest son named Edmond, and perhaps his father was not a James Quinlivan?

A better understanding of "lives on lease" as well as other evidence is required to determine with certainty the father's name of the three, and possibly four, Quinlivans of Garruragh. For example, if the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan attended the Irish College in Paris, often their records state name of parents (will confirm another day, and Patrick, if he attended, unfortunately might have been prior to the more detailed records).

Possible Common Quinlivan Descendants (father named James?):

1.0 Unknown Quinlivan Daughter, married to John Broughton

.................... 1.1 Anne Broughton ("long since deceased" in 1871), married to Eugene O'Curry (1794 - 1862)
.................... 1.2 Mary Broughton ( - 1871), married to John O'Donovan (1806 - 1861)
.................... 1.? Other Children? A second born son named James?

2.0 Thomas Quinlivan, (#80 in 1847)

.................... 2.1 Bridget Quinlivan (≈1804 - 1879), married to Carol Daly (≈1800 - prior to 1864 ? )
.................... 2.2 Mary Quinlivan (≈1808 - 1882), married to John Boland (≈1804 - 1866 ? )
.................... 2.3 James Quinlivan (≈1812 - 1883), (#79 in 1847), married to Mary Caroll (≈1818 - 1905)
.................... 2.4 John Quinlivan (≈1820 ? - to Victoria - 1882), (#82 in 1847), married to Mary Boland

3.0 Reverend Patrick Quinlivan (#77 in 1847)

Listed last, not based upon age, but questionable if a sibling of the three others above:

4.0 Laurence Quinlivan

.................... 4.1 Edmond Quinlivan
.................... 4.2 John Quinlivan (#81 in 1847)
.................... 4.3 James Laurence Quinlivan (≈1806 - 1879), (#78 in 1847), married to Mary Canny, then Mary McNamara (≈1820 - 1884)

I've found the obituary for the Mrs. John O'Donovan in the 18 August 1871 edition of the Flag of Ireland newspaper. But unable to find the civil death record for Mary O'Donovan. The John Broughton family appears prominent, family researchers on-line might have the first name of his Quinlivan wife.

Sheila, you mentioned comparing the 1847 freeholder listing with the 1825 Freeholder listing. The 1825 listing is not available on-line, and the reference to Laurence (quoted previously) given to Paddy Waldron is unlikely complete (his interest was specific to the name Laurence). It would be necessary to confirm the complete Quinlivan applicants by viewing the 1825 document held at the NLI in Dublin or the Local Studies Centre in Ennis (as of today, the BNA does not have Clare newspapers for this period on-line).

The 1829 Freeholder Registry, listing Thomas Quinlivan and James Quinlivan, both of Rath, is consistent with the names Thomas and James reported on the 1827 Tithe Applotment report (mentioned previously).

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... urname.htm

The 1821 listing of freeholders, has many Quinlivans, including in Rathill, Rath, a John Quinlivan, "lives" reported as John Quinlivan, dated 18 January 1813 in Tulla. Not sure what to think of this new information with regards to the 1847 listing.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ders_q.htm

New discovery. Instead of searching the British newspaper archives for Garruragh and its variations, a search of "Rath" and "Quinlivan" led to the Registry of Freeholders for Tulla as of 26 March 1840. Thomas Quinlivan and James Quinlivan of Rath are listed as "ten pound, re-registry". What is telling is who in their immediate family was not there. John Quinlivan (first born son named Thomas) married Mary Boland in February 1841 and is not listed in the March 1840 freeholders, but he was included in the 1847 Freeholder List.

Sheila, I found out more information on the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan as he gets a few references in "The Diocese of Killaloe: 1800-1850" by Ignatius Murphy. In particular, his chapter "A Bishop and His Nephews" tells a very exciting tale, and highly recommend reading. And discovered a few more news articles from searching the British Newspaper Archives, combined below with Sharon and your prior discoveries, to create the below timeline:

August 1819 Listing of Priests (Appendix 2 of "The Diocese of Killaloe: 1800-1850"): Bishop James O'Shaughnessy and 71 priests signed a document on 8-10 August 1819, expressing their support for the appointment of Dean Patrick MacMahon, parish priest of Quin & Clooney, as coadjutor bishop. The coadjutor bishop position was nominated by the priests, the bishop did not pick his successor. "Patrick Quinlivan, Doonass (Clonlara)" was one of six parish priests noted by Ignatius Murphy as having not signed the listing. Four of them were nephews of Bishop O'Shaughnessy who objected as likely they wanted to be named. The Rev. Quinlivan was likely simply absent. Based upon subsequent events, he was not a fan of O'Shaughnessy and his nephews.

October 1819: Patrick Quinlivan (Doonass) was one of seven parish priests who signed a letter to Rome withdrawing an earlier letter from March or April signed by 23 Killaloe priests (this letter did not survive) complaining about the treatment of Matthew Corbett, parish priest of Broadford.

Very briefly, the Rev. Matthew Corbett had a niece-in-law of Bishop O'Shaughnessy as housekeeper. Mrs. O'Shaughnessy became pregnant while her husband was away in America, and the Rev. Corbett was accused of being the father. There was a public ecclesiastic trial of Corbett in November 1818, with Mrs. O'Shaughnessy, and three priests, one an O'Shaughnessy nephew, gave evidence. Dean Patrick MacMahon (soon to be coadjutor), John Kenny (Tulla), Ambrose O'Connor (Nenagh), and Daniel Vaughan (Moynoe), all highly regarded, gave evidence for the Rev. Corbett. A servant boy also swore that he had sexual intercourse multiple times with Mrs. O'Shaughnessy and was the father of the child. The Rev. Corbett was found guilty. Appealed. Many letters written to Rome. Reinstated.

July 1821: Patrick Quinlivan (Doonass) was one of eight parish priests who signed a letter sent to Rome complaining about Bishop O'Shaughnessy. The bishop had appointed his own nephew, Terrence O'Shaughnessy, to the coveted Ennis Parish instead of his successor, coadjutor Bishop MacMahon. His appointment of the Ennis jail chaplaincy (worth £50 per year); readjusting parish boundaries; giving curates too much independence, complaints that the Rev. Francis Stenson (an O'Shaughnessy nephew) was incompetent etc., were other issues noted in the letter.

26 November 1822: by his testimony on 20 May 1852, he was formerly Parish Priest of the Parish of Kiltannonlea of Doonass at the time of a marriage of Thomas Browne and Catherine O'Callaghan performed by the Right Reverend Dr O'Saughnessy, Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Killaloe (see Sheila's prior posting).

20 October 1824: In the Tithe Applotments for the Parish of Kiltenanlea, the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan was a occupier of land in Park Bawn townland:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ea_tab.htm

15 February 1831: Communication to Inspector General of Police in Munster from Rev Patrick Quinlivan, [Roman Catholic] parish priest, Silvermines, warning that a general attack is likely to be directed against the smaller, more isolated, police stations in the district; remarking it is his personal opinion that ‘there is no danger of a General rising of the People in this Country’. Per Sheila's discovery here:

https://csorp.nationalarchives.ie/searc ... sults=true

1835 List of Priests and Churches (Appendix 3), includes for the parish of "Mines and another [Ballinaclough]", Patrick Quinlivan as parish priest, and Joseph Griffin as curate.

In October 1835, I reckon, becoming a chaplain to a convent of nun at Ennis was an honorary position and did not involve a relocation from Silvermines:
The Rev. Patrick Quinlivan, P.P. of the Silvermines, Nenagh, is to replace the Rev. Thomas McInerney, of Feacle [Feakle], as Chaplain to the Nuns at Lifford Convent, Ennis.

Galway Patriot, Wednesday, 7 October 1835
In 1845, Patrick Quinlivan, P.P., was one of many of the . . .
Protestant and Catholic clergymen, Magistrates, and Gentry of the County of Clare, highly approving of the Railway for connecting the Town of Ennis with that of Galway, by the Galway and Ennis Grand Junction Railway projected in May last, and believing it to be a sound and most useful undertaking, particularly at this time, when the employment of the poor in some public work is so essentially necessary, commend it to the warmest and strongest support of the County at Large, as well as to those Towns and Districts thro' which it is intended it should pass"; dated 22nd day of November, 1845 . . . [a long listing of names]

Galway Mercury, and Connaught Weekly Advertiser, Saturday, 13 December 1845
Great Famine years: the ancestry website had a letter from the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan of Silvermines requesting rye seed for his parishioners. Can no longer locate it.
DESIRABLE INVESTMENT
TO BE SOLD.
The Interest in the Lease of the undermentioned Premises, situate in the
Silvermines, County Tipperary
CONSISTING OF
THREE EXCELLENT BUILT HOUSES,
All Slated, one of which is at present set for the sum of Twenty Pounds a Year to a Solvent Tenant; a Walled-in Kitchen Garden, about half an Acre, with suitable Out Offices, Stables, Barn, &c., and 5 Acres of Prime land; also a right of Turbary of half an acre—all subject to the yearly rent of £10.
A LEASE FOR EVER CAN BE GIVEN,
Also to be Sold, a Separate Farm, containing 30 Acres fit for Meadowing, Pasture, or Tillage.
Application to Mr. WILLIAM RIEDY, Silvermines; or to REV. PATRICK QUINLIVAN, Clonlara.

Limerick Reporter, Tuesday, 25 September 1849
Had Patrick Quinlivan returned to Clonlara (Doonass) in 1849 as above address would indicate? Did the timing of the sale of his property at Silvermines having anything to do with the violent protest of the Nenagh parishioners against the bishop's appointment of a new parish priest?
THE NENAGH CHAPEL—This place of worship remains yet firmly nailed, and the stern determination of the majority of the parishioners not to open it appears every day to become more unalterable and unflinching. They say they will never permit the Rev. Messrs. Kenny and Bowles to enter the chapel, or perform any ceremony whatever therein; while the bishop and the parish priest are resolutely resolved to maintain their position, and not to be dictated to or governed by laymen in matters belonging to the ecclesiastical authority. Thus this vexatio questio stands at present, without a probability of it being speedily or amicably settled. The respectable Roman Catholics of the town experience such inconvenience and annoyance on Sunday, from the fact of their having to go to hear mass in Ballinaclough, Carrick, Mountsea, Silvermines, and other chapels, which are at a distance of four or five miles. Father Kenny celebrated mass at his own residence, where a good many persons attended, and Father Power officiated at the workhouse, to which a large number of persons followed him—Nenagh Guardian.

Dublin Evening Herald, Thursday, 18 October 1849
17 May 1850: Rev. Patrick Quinlivan was named executor of the Will of Thomas Kenny, Parish Priest of Nenagh (who died in July 1850). See "Kenny Family of Treanmanagh" history donated by Margaret Gallery:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... 0_1800.htm

1851 Catholic Registry, the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan was not included (per Sharon's research and linked document - go to page 367).

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ba ... frontcover

May 1851: Attended a Tulla Union board of guardians meeting, with his two nephews, to discuss the use of their Garruragh lands for a new Tulla Union Workhouse.

20 May 1852: In confirming an 1822 marriage when he had been the parish priest of Doonass Parish, Patrick Quinlivan states that he was "now of the laity of Limerick".

22 February 1860 Death. If a parish priest in 1819, would Patrick Quinlivan been born around 1790? So died about the age of seventy?
At Lahinch, on Wednesday, after a short illness, at an advanced age, the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan, formerly P.P. of Inagh [Silvermines, Nenagh]. From the beginning of his sickness which he dreaded would prove fatal; he was constantly attended by one of the Ennistymon Curates. Though comparatively a stranger, and apparently friendless—he experienced much kindness and attention from both the parochial clergy, and the people.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 27 February 1860
Sheila, a typical parish priest would have a large funeral, and the obituary would include a long listing of the various priests who attended the requiem mass. Patrick Quinlivan beginning around 1851 appears to be no longer a member of the clergy. Thus, the "apparently friendless" remark in the Clare Journal article.

Ignatius Murphy in "The Diocese of Killaloe: 1800-1850" provides several examples in Chapter 8 "Parishes and Priests" of what happens when a "bishop wished to express his displeasure because of a priest's conduct or his lack of application to duty". He could move the priest to a less desirable parish or, in the worst case, suspend the priest, prohibiting against the exercise of his ministry. A typical example of a 'silenced priest' was due to a severe drinking problem and was often temporary. A unique permanent suspension was against the Rev. James Finucane MacNamara of Kilnoe Parish for challenging a Protestant landlord to a duel, which we previously discussed in another thread. For those suspended, wrote Ignatius Murphy, "deprived of any regular income, life could be extremely difficult unless they had independent means". The Rev. Patrick Quinlivan was certainly of "independent means" as the sale of his houses and property at Silvermines in 1849 would indicate.

But did the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan simply quit the priesthood or was he suspended? The answer might be in the Killaloe Diocesan Archives located in Westbourne, Ennis. The below collections, I reckon, would be most promising:

• Papers of Monsignor Ignatius Murphy (d.1993). Research materials of Mgr. Murphy, who was the diocesan historian
• Material on microfilm relating to Killaloe from the Congregation de Propaganda Fide in Rome, 1620-1900.

https://churcharchives.ie/killaloe-diocesan-archives/

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:39 pm

Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for all of that very interesting post. Your purchase of Ignatius Murphy’s History of the Diocese of Killaloe is yielding dividends. It looks like Rev Mr. Quinlivan got too much mixed up in stuff. His friends were fair weather friends and his funeral, it seems, was not the usual social occasion.

Yes, I promised to try to solve the puzzle of how the Quinlivans listed in the 1847 register of voters are related, and spent some time thinking about it this morning, but must report that I cannot decide if the “sen.” after James Quinlivan (No. 78) denotes father, or if it denotes elder. Likewise with John Quinlivan, sen. (No. 81). And, looking at the 1829 Registry of Freeholders, I think James Quinlivan might be a brother of Thomas, though, of course he could also be the James born about 1806: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... urname.htm. The only useful thing I can say is that we must bear in mind, when looking at the registers of voters (or applicants), that not everyone was interested in voting. Often it was done at the behest of the landlord, or his agent, or after a bribe was offered by the election agent, or at the urging of the parish priest, but some landlords and some priests seem to have had little or no interest in elections. The absence of John Quinlivan from the 1840 list is not of any great signifcance, I think.

A typo you may like to fix: the 1827 Tithe Aplottment Books show that it is Thomas Quinlivan, not Laurence, who has the same size farm as John Hogan: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00622.pdf.

Jimbo, I don’t wish to distract from your Quinlivan research, but I continue to think about the McNamaras who lived in Garruragh (according to baptism records). I notice that the Quinlivans very rarely invited any of them to act as sponsor at a baptism, and I think that Mary McNamara, who married James Quinlivan, must have been from another townland or parish. The Garruragh McNamara baptisms do not show any Quinlivan sponsors. I think the McNamaras did not have the same social status as the Quinlivans. Garruragh House, before it became an Auxilliary Workhouse, would have employed some servants and I imagine these were disbanded (I forget the correct work) when the use of the house changed. But, along with Garruragh House, there was also another substantial house in Garruragh townland: the House Books* for Tulla show only two houses in Garruragh, one occupied by William Molony (probably Garruragh House), and the other occupied by Henry Bolton. Because Henry Bolton was Protestant, we don’t have the usual baptism records. I mention him here because he probably employed a couple of servants, who would not have been listed in Griffith’s Valuation. Henry is mentioned in the Dunboyne News Cuttings: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/libra ... s_1845.htm.
*at first the instructions were to list houses valued over £3, but later this was increased to £5. I don’t know which limit applied in this case.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:55 am

I think now that Henry Bolton’s stay in Garruragh was brief. I think he leased Garruragh House for a short while in the 1840s. When I looked again at the Field Books for Garruragh (not the House Book), I saw that he is occupying the larger house of the two mentioned, while William Malony is occupying the smaller one:
Field Book Garruragh: http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels ... _00636.pdf

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:36 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your feedback on the 1847 Freeholder listing. The purpose of "senior" and "junior" was to distinguish between two people with the same name, not for family relationships. I reckon they could be father and son, or they could be two men with the same name but different ages. Either way, the terms "senior" and "junior" could be used to distinguish between the two freeholders. If an expert on freeholder listings stated that "senior" and "junior" were only used to reflect father and son relationships, then I would want to know how were two men of the same name, but not father and son, living in the same townland, reported on the freeholder listings.

In Garruragh townland, there were two men named James Quinlivan, one born about 1806, the son of Laurence Quinlivan, and the other born in 1812, the son of Thomas Quinlivan. Clearly, the two men are not father and son. In 1847, the year of the freeholder listing, both James Quinlivans were married with children reflected in the baptism records; they both appear to be well-to-do farmers; their descendants are living in the 1901 and 1911 census reports. They are the most likely explanation for the two men reported on the 1847 freeholder listing.

However, I agree with you that there are other possibilities. A James Quinlivan, say the one reported on the 1827 Tithe Applotments with a very small land holding. Or the one reported in the 1829 Freeholder listing, if he was still living in 1847, could have been the brother of Thomas Quinlivan (your suggestion) or else even the father of Thomas Quinlivan.

Another theory, which I like more and more, is that "Laurence Quinlivan", the father of James Quinlivan (≈1806-1879) was, in fact, a James Laurence Quinlivan. The marriage announcement of Honora Quinlivan in 1874 in Australia stated her father as "James Laurence Quinlivan". "James" and "Laurence" could have been used interchangeably to distinguish between father and son over the generations.

Sheila, it will not be possible with 100% certainty to identify the two men named James Quinlivan on the 1847 freeholder listing. And it may not be that important to do so. Under any of our scenarios, the two Quinlivan family trees of my prior posting are not altered. The 1847 clue did provide new information:

• The Rev. Mr. Quinlivan was the Rev. Patrick Quinlivan who died in 1860.
• Thomas Quinlivan, the father of James Quinlivan (≈1812-1883), was still living in 1847. But Thomas appears to have died prior to the 1852 meeting attended with Rev. Patrick Quinlivan and his two nephews to discuss their lands at Garruragh (Plot 13 at Griffith Valuation). Was the father of Thomas, likely another James? I think so. We he also living in 1847? I think rather unlikely.
• There were two men living at 1847 at Garruragh named John Quinlivan.

The two men named John Quinlivan on the 1847 freehold listing are even more difficult to identity than the James Quinlivans. We know of one John Quinlivan, who appears to be the son of Thomas Quinlivan, married to Mary Boland in 1841. Another John Quinlivan was reported on the 1825 Freeholder's list as one of three "lives on lease" for Laurence Quinlivan. And, lastly discovered, was the 1821 listing of freeholders, dated 18 January 1813, with a John Quinlivan of Rathill, Rath, and "lives" reported as John Quinlivan. The last John Quinlivan in 1813 appears to be a father and son. But were both living in 1847? Unlikely, I reckon. There are a total of four possible John Quinlivans.

Since we only have detailed information on the John Quinlivan of Rath married to Mary Boland, it is not clear at all who both men named John Quinlivan on the 1847 Freehold listing could be. Equally, we can't be certain whose cow in 1849 was stolen at Garruragh:
John Dowdle was indicted for stealing a cow, the property of John Quinlivan, of Rath, on the 22d June last.—Verdict, Guilty, to be transported for 10 years.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 9 July 1849
Was the cow the property of John Quinlivan of Rath, married to Mary Boland? Possibly not, since there were two men listed as freeholders in 1847 and both could still be living in Garruragh in 1849. We do know that the John Quinlivan, married to Mary Boland, would go to Victoria in 1854 with four of his children (presumably he was a widower). It would have been really awkward if the convict John Dowdle crossed paths with his accuser in Australia. However, in fact, John Dowdle, was never transported to Australia, or anywhere else for that matter. John Dowdle had been 18 years old when he was convicted for cow stealing in 1849. He died at the prison on Spike Island, in County Cork, on 1 March 1855.

http://findingaids.nationalarchives.ie/ ... earchfocus

The cow stolen by John Dowdle wasn't the only cow stolen from Garruragh in June of 1849:
George Tuohy was indicted for stealing a cow, the property of Pat Earls, of Garrura, on the 25th June last.—Verdict, Guilty, to be transported for 10 years.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 9 July 1849
I could not locate any convict records for a George Tuohy. Patrick Earles and Kate Hartigan of Garrura had children between 1845 and 1851 as reflected in the Tulla baptism registers. A stolen cow from their family would have been devastating in 1849. Also in the Tulla baptism records were Thomas Earles and Hanna Flanagan of Rath, who had children between 1841 and 1847. Sheila, these two Earles households of Garruragh would be part of the decline in Garruragh's population as reported from the 1851 to 1861 census reports as we've previously discussed.

Sheila, thank you for providing the field book for Garruragh which reported two houses occupied by Henry Bolton and William Molony. I had never previously utilized the "Valuation Office house, field, tenure and quarto books 1824 – 1856", which have been available on-line at the National Archives since November 2016.

https://www.nationalarchives.ie/article ... e-records/
http://www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie/

As you've noted, William Molony was the occupier of the smaller house, known as "Garruragh Cottage" in newspaper accounts, and not the larger "Garruragh House", occupied for a short time by Henry Bolton. When researching the history of the Tulla Fever Hospital, and specifically when it started operations at Garruragh House, I researched various lease transactions that were reported by the Chancery Court in Dublin. Prior to Griffith Valuation, when landlord Charles George O'Callaghan was a minor, any rental transactions went through the chancery courts. But previously, all rental transactions associated with the widow, Mrs. Martha Harrison Comyn, also went through the chancery courts where she was reported as a "defendant". I do not know why Mrs. Comyn was named as a defendant in these numerous chancery "matters", but it did provide detail on who was occupying some of her Garruragh lands through the 1820's and 1830's. Martha Harrison Comyn was living in Garruragh House until about 1838, and during her long period of occupancy was unable, I reckon, to afford to spend much on repairs and maintenance. After Charles George O'Callaghan obtained possession, "a large sum of money" was spent on Garruragh House "in repairing the Dwelling House and Offices at the Minor's expense".
Henry Palmer, Esq., Plaintiff
Nicholas Comyn, Esq. and Martha Comyn, otherwise Harrison, his Wife, which said Martha is Executrix of John W. Harrison, deceased; J. Harrison, Esq. and Wife, and Others, Defendants.

Pursuant to the Decree of his Majesty's Court of Exchequer in Ireland, made in this Cause, bearing date the 22nd Day of February last, I will on WEDNESDAY the 14th Day of December next, at my Office, on the Inn's Quay, Dublin, set up and sell by public Cant to the highest and best Bidder, the Lands and Premises in the Pleadings in said Decree mentioned, that is to say, the lands of GARRURA, MOYREE and RATH, with the Appurtenances, situate in the County of Clare, part thereof held under a Fee Farm Lease for ever, and the remainder under a Lease for Lives renewable forever, or a competent part thereof for the purposes in said Decree mentioned.—Dated this 26th Day of Nov. 1808.
W.W. POLE.

☞ For Particulars, apply to MR. WILLIAMSON of Moore-street, Dublin, Plaintiff's Attorney.

Limerick Gazette, Tuesday, 13 December 1808
DEATHS.
On Thursday last, at Garruragh, County of Clare, Nicholas Comyn, Esq.

Saunder's News Letter, Tuesday, 14 April 1818
During the 1820's and through to 1838, Martha Comyn appears every few years in the "chancery" legal section of newspapers:
Wm. Russell, and others, Plaintiffs.
Martha Comyn, Widow, and others, Defendants.

Pursuant to the Decree of his Majesty's High Court of Chancery in Ireland, made this Cause, bearing date the third day of July, 1822, I hereby require all persons having Debts, Charges, and Incumbrances affecting the Real and personal Estates of Nicholas Comyn, late of Garruragh, in the county of Clare, deceased, to come in before me at my Chambers, on the Inns-quay, Dublin, on or before the tenth day of October next, and prove the same, otherwise they will be precluded all benefit arising from the said Decree.
Dated this 24th day of August, 1822.
THOMAS BALL.
Cornelius O'Brien and Barry Collins, Plaintiff's Solicitors, No. 32, North Cumberland street, Dublin.

Dublin Weekly Register, Saturday, 31 August 1822
On 3 July 1823, another legal Cause in Chancery Court by William Russell against Martha Comyn was to open to the highest bidder, for a term of three years, the "Demense of Garruragh, including the several parts thereof, in the possession of Henry Bentley, Michael Kerwick, Thady Kerwick, John Hogan, and John Markham, save the House Division, containing 25 acres". (Dublin Evening Post, 8 July 1823).

Three years later, another legal Cause, dated 7 March 1826, by William Russell against Martha Comyn and other legal defendants, was fairly identical to the 1823 Cause listing Henry Bentley, Michael Kerwick etc as "formerly in the possession", but also stating "as now held by John O'Brien" who thus appears to have been the highest bidder in 1823. (Dublin Evening Post, 23 March 1826).

In the Tithe Applotment report dated 11 February 1827, Michael Kerwick and Thady Kerwick occupied lands in Ballyaskill, Garruragh. John Hogan in Rath, Garruragh. John Markham in Quillinagh, Garruragh. Henry Bentley was not listed.

"Mrs. Comyn" was reported in Garruragh townland in the Tithe Applotments, as the occupier of 28 Irish acres, with 30 Irish acres of bog reported in the far right notes. "Save the House Division, containing 25 acres" was noted in 1823: Mrs. Comyn appears to continue to have occupied Garruragh House and its immediate surrounding garden and lands (later Plot 13 at Griffith Valuation, the auxiliary workhouse and fever hospital).

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00622.pdf

Three years later, yet another legal Cause, dated 5 May 1829, by William Russell against Martha Comyn and others, to open the Lands of Garruragh, formerly in the possession of "Henry Bentley, Esq., and others, and as lately in the tenancy of Thomas Browne Burke, Esq., containing 67 acres, 1 rood, and 2 perches, late Irish plantation measure. The new term was to be seven years. (Dublin Evening Post, 9 Mary 1829).

Mrs. Martha Harrison Comyn appears to have carried on at Garruragh House throughout the 1820's and late 1830's. She and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Elizabeth Comyn Brown of Newgrove, were patrons in education, as noted by Sharon in a recent posting (page 48) on this thread discussing education in Clare:
While Kilkishen may have been above-average for East Clare in acceptance/toleration of its Protestant gentry, other schools in Clare at that time likewise had good statistics for enrollment, such as Newgrove (patron Mrs. Brown): 130 male & female; Garruragh (Mrs. Comyn, patron) 166 males & female.
Nine years after the previous Chancery court session, on a legal Cause dated 5 June 1838, the plaintiffs Frances Westby O'Callaghan, George O'Callaghan, and Charles George O'Callaghan, were up against defendant Martha Comyn, widow, and others. This time was not a short term lease but "sell by Public Cant, the highest bidder, all that and those the Town and Lands of Garruragh and Rath" on the 21st day of June at the chambers of Thomas Goold, Inn's-quay, Dublin (Limerick Chronicle, 13 June 1838). Cornelius O'Brien was the highest bidder.
The Garruragh estate, in this county was sold a few days ago for £13,200 to Cornelius O'Brien, Esq., M.P.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday , 2 July 1838
The solicitor of Charles George O'Callaghan was Cornelius O'Brien, Esq. M.P., who was also named in the various Chancery actions between 1822 and 1829 relating to Martha Harrison Comyn. Thus, Charles George O'Callaghan appears to have been the actual purchaser for £13,200 in late June 1838. A "matter" in his name was discussed in a Chancery Court filing a few months later:
IN CHANCERY.
In the Matter of Charles George O'Callaghan
Pursuant to an Order made in this Matter, bearing date the 5th August, 1839, in pursuance of my Report of the 29th July, 1839, I will on Saturday, the 24th day of August inst., at the hour of one o'Clock in the afternoon, at my Chambers, on the Inns-quay, City of Dublin, set up and Let, pending the Minority of the said Minor, all that and those, the House, Offices, and Demesne Lands of Garruragh and Rath, containing 25 acres, as lately in the possession of Mrs. Martha Comyn; as also that part of said Lands lately in the possession of Mr. Patrick Burke, containing 67 acres and 1 rood, or thereabouts, situate in the County of Clare, being part of Minor's Estates—Dated the 14th day of August, 1839.
THOMAS GOOLD.

N.B.—A large sum of money is about being laid out in repairing the Dwelling House and Offices at the Minor's expense.

The Tenant or Tenants will be required to take out Leases under the Court, and enter into the usual Security by recognizance.
Apply to P. [Pierce] Carrick, Esq., the Receiver, Ennis; or to William Henry McGrath, Solicitor to the Minor, 20 Summer-hill.

Dublin Evening Post, Thursday, 15 August 1839
Thomas Goold (≈1766 - 1846) was a master of the Court of Chancery in Ireland:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Goold

The various legal actions between 1822 and 1838 in Chancery Court naming Mrs. Martha Comyn as the defendant, may have actually been for her benefit or at least she had the legal right to remain at Garruragh House? By 1838 or 1839, Martha Comyn was no longer living at Garruragh House and had moved to the town of Tulla where she died on 1 January 1846.
January 1, at Tulla Cottage, Martha, relict of Nicolas Comyn, Esq., of Garruragh, county Clare, and sister [in-law*] of Thomas Browne, Esq., Newgrove.

Dublin Evening Mail, Monday, 5 January 1846
* Thomas Browne of Newgrove was married to Elizabeth Comyn, so Martha Comyn was the sister-in-law of Thomas Browne.

Browne family landed estates: https://landedestates.ie/family/2040

Charles George O'Callaghan came of age about 1842 and thus subsequent rentals of his properties no longer went through the Chancery Court. Advertisements to let the Garruragh property were made in 1843 and again in 1848:
COUNTY OF CLARE.
TO BE LET

For such terms as may be agreed on, from the 25th of March next, the House, Offices, and Demesne of BALLINAHINCH, containing 150 Acres Plantation Measure or thereabouts, Arable, Pasture, and Meadow, with right of Turbury, situate in the Barony of Tulla, County of Clare. The House and Offices are in Tentable Repair, and the Demesne is highly ornamented by Wood and Water, and in a Sporting Country. About 9 acres of Rich Soil have been in the present Spring carefully laid down with a Crop of Oats, and the Kitchen Garden prepared for crops.

Also, the House, Offices, and Demesne of GARRURAGH, containing 90 acres Plantation Measure or thereabouts, all prime Tillage and Fattening Land, with right of Turbury, situate in the same Barony, and within a mile of the post-town of Tulla. About 6 Acres have been laid down in a similar manner with a Crop of Oats, and the Kitchen Garden also prepared for Crops.

Also that part called GARRURAGH COTTAGE, containing 17 Acres or thereabouts, now in the possession of WILLIAM MOLONY, Esq.

Also that part of the said lands of BALLINAHINCH, late in the possession of JOHN SCANLAN, and that part of the lands at CARHUGAR, in the Barony of Bunratty, late in the possession of DENIS LYNCH.

Application to be made to CHARLES GEORGE O'CALLAGHAN, Esq., 29 Landsdowne-place, Cheltenham, or to P. CARRICK, Esq., Ennis.

Michael Walsh, Carekeeper at Ballinahinch, or John Neylon, of Toonagh, will show the several Premises.
1st March, 1843

Limerick Chronicle, Saturday, 11 March 1843
Henry Bolton, Esq., appears to have taken up the lease for Garruragh House. The birth of a son on 26 May 1845 and a daughter in June 1846, both with a residence of Garruragh, were noted in the Irish newspapers.

Pierce Carrick, appointed as receiver for Charles George O'Callaghan, was murdered on the 18th of March, 1846. The following month, Daniel O'Connell, The Liberator, gave a long speech at the House of Commons on 3 April 1846 which referred to the murder of Pierce Carrick, "an unhappy murdered man". While O'Connell, of course, would never condone a murder, he went on to provide details of the prior actions of Carrick which led to his murder. News articles of both the murder and O'Connell's speech were given on the thread "John McNamara, of Barbeton, Ohio, returns to County Clare in 1892":

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=7343

One week later, Pierce Creagh, in a letter to the editor of the Limerick Chronicle, provided a long and spirited defense of his murdered friend, Pierce Carrick, and interesting details to the land transactions of the Charles George O'Callaghan estate:
The facts are simply thus:—Mr. Carrick was about the year 1833 appointed receiver by the Court of Chancery, in the matter of Charles George O'Callaghan, a minor, over certain lands in the County of Clare, and continued to act as such receiver till about a year since, when Mr. O'Callaghan attained his full age; and I believe by the advice of his guardians—his mother, Lady William Somerset, and Cornelius O'Brien, Esq. M.P., the latter being also his solicitor—caused a new letting to be made of his lands, (the former tenancies having been only pending his minority, of course terminated with it,) and for the purpose of such new setting, Mr. O'Brien, M.P., recommended a person in this employment, named Neylan, to value Mr. O'Callaghan's lands, and to new model and fix the size and boundaries of each tenant's farm. With these proceedings, Mr. Carrick had nothing whatever to do; he merely received such valuation, that he might as Mr. O'Callaghan's agent, collect his rents in accordance therewith, but he never interfered to prevent the fulfillment of any promise made by Mr. O'Callaghan to his tenant's, which promise, if ever made, Mr. O'Callaghan, as an officer and a gentleman, would, I doubt not, have fulfilled; and Mr. O'Connell ought to be aware that his friend, Mr. O'Brien, would not have sanctioned either a breach of faith with those tenants, or an unjust valuation of their lands.

Excerpt from "The Murder of Mr. Carrick", Limerick Chronicle, Wednesday, 15 April 1846
A new model? To fix the size and boundaries of each tenant's farm? What could go wrong? Pierce Creagh in the defense of his friend against Daniel O'Connell's prior comments appears to be saying that Carrick was merely following the orders of Charles George O'Callaghan and his solicitor Cornelius O'Brien. He also believed that the revaluation of these lands could never possibly be unjust. How naive. From the tenants' perspective anyone associated with these changes would have been a fair target. In the same letter of April 1846, Pierce Creagh correctly foreshadows the violence which was to come in 1847:
It is notorious that, at the present time, in Clare several land agents and magistrates of that county are obliged to use the greatest caution for their personal safety, and that if Mr. Carrick had been equally circumspect in that respect, his life would have been spared.
The land agent of Charles George O'Callaghan of Ballinhinch, Michael Walsh, would obtain police protection for a period, but, I reckon, it would have unlikely lasted longer than one year.
ATROCIOUS MURDER.
TO THE EDITOR OF THE LIMERICK AND CLARE EXAMINER.
Fortane More, October 29, 1847.
Dear Sir—At eight o'clock this morning a most cruel murder was committed within a quarter of a mile of my house. The victim was Mr. Michael Walsh, steward to Charles George O'Callaghan, of Ballynahinch. He was on his way to Ennis, to arrange some business with Mr. Enright, and had not proceeded more than half a mile from his own house, when he was shot dead and his brains dashed about the road.
Yours very truly,
A Subscribe.

Limerick and Clare Examiner, Saturday, 30 October 1847
More details and the family tree of Michael Walsh, the steward and land agent of Charles George O'Callaghan, were discussed back in 2020 on page 27 of this thread. Michael Walsh was the grandfather of Margaret Walsh Duncan (1867 - 1928), who was the owner of the Continental Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... &start=390

Henry Bolton, Esq., and his young family, wisely leave Garruragh House, which in April 1848 is again advertised . . .
To be Let,
FROM the first of May next, the House and Demesne of BALLYNAHINCH, containing about 160 Acres of Prime fattening and Meadow Land, all (including the House) in the best possible order; also, the House and Demesne of GARRURAGH, containing about 100 Acres of superior LAND; also the farm of BOHERARD which contains 40 Acres of first rate land.—

Ballynahinch is within three miles of Tulla, and Garruragh two.

Application to CHARLES GEORGE O'CALLAGHAN, Esq., 1st Dragoon Guards, Dorchester; or JOHN ENRIGHT, Esq., Templemaley House, Ennis.
April 15.

Limerick Chronicle, Saturday, 29 April 1848
Was the next occupier of Garruragh House the Tulla Fever Hospital leased by the Scariff Union (later Tulla Union)? See timeline history of the Tulla Fever Hospital on page 53 of this thread. I knew for certain that the Tulla Fever Hospital was at Garruragh House in early 1850, at the same time as the Tulla Temporary Workhouse (for women only). And we know for certain that the Tulla Fever Hospital was in existence in March 1849 due to reports of a cholera outbreak. And based upon the number of patients treated, had likely started its operations in late 1848. Based upon Garruragh House being advertised for rent in April 1848, the Tulla Fever Hospital appears more likely to have started there in late 1848. Unfortunately, there are no newspaper accounts to prove this theory.

When Charles George O'Callaghan, gentleman, widower, 74 years old, died at Ballinahinch on 29 October 1895; the informant, present at death at Ballinahinch, was a Michael McNamara. The identity of this Michael McNamara has been discussed previously but still remains a mystery.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 678416.pdf

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:37 am

Hi Jimbo

That is a wonderful posting. You have done great research on Garruragh House. You have done so much work on the Tulla area in general, you have arrived at a stage where the people appearing in the story are people you have encountered before.

It is strange to think that the ruins of the nearby Garruragh castle (a McNamara castle, or towerhouse) are still there - silent witness to all the changes. It stands as a symbol of something, but I’m not sure what!

About the name “James Laurence”: we must bear in mind that a second name in Ireland, or in the west of Ireland, at least, very often denoted the name of the person’s father. As I mentioned previously, this is still customary in west Galway, and it was a common practice all over the west of Ireland right up to within living memory. I remember a relative being mentioned to me as “Johnny Séan Taady”, thus giving me his father’s name and his grandfather’s name.

I was very interested to see the letter from Pierce Creagh, with its mention of fixing the size and boundaries of each tenant’s farm. I value this as a rare mention of a very general (but strangely silent) development at the time.

I agree that the disappearance of the two Earles households helps to explain the decline in the population between 1851 and 1861.

Which reminds me that the Thomas McNamara, whose death record I sent for, turned out to be from Tullamore, Co. Offaly, and not from Tulla, Co. Clare. The General Registry Office acknowledged that the mistake was theirs and refunded me the five euro fee. So the number of Thomas McNamaras whose deaths were registered in Tulla between 1864 and 1870 are reduced to three. There’s only one death of a Daniel McNamara in the same period. I would have expected more of both in such a large Union. There are five John McNamaras and today I will send for the record for John who died in 1870 aged 92.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:17 am

Hi Jimbo

I gather from a facebook message of congratulations to Cathal O’Hagan that there was a Fever Hospital in Kilkishen. It’s possible that it served part of Tulla parish too.

Sheila
Edited to delete link to facebook.
Last edited by Sduddy on Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:37 pm

Hi Sheila,

Happy New Year and I hope you had a nice Christmas holiday. Thank you very much for obtaining the civil death record of Thomas McNamara who end up being from Tullamore, County Ofally. I am very curious who the John McNamara who died in 1870 at the age of 92 will be. Thanks for applying for this record.

There were three fever hospitals budgeted for in Scariff Union for 1849 (see page 52). Perhaps the fever hospital in Kilkishen researched by Cathal O'Hagan was one of the three. When researching the Tulla fever hospital in Garruragh in the British newspaper archives I seem to recall other fever hospitals, but cannot recreate the search results. Will have to track down the Tulla Reaching Out article to learn more about this other fever hospital.

Sheila, since your posting on the 17th of December, the number of views has nearly doubled from about 550,000 to approaching 1.1 million. These must be "bot" views and don't represent an actual human reader. The bots never show up as "users online". There could be only 10 users online, and when you refresh the webpage after 30 seconds, the number of "views" has jumped by 100 or so. A minute later another unusually large increase in views with few users online. Clearly "bot" accounts. Sheila, I am fairly certain that your link to the facebook page was their origin. Although in the past few days it appears that the "bot attack" had diminished or even gone away, could you please delete the facebook link just to be sure.

Getting back to Garruragh House in Tulla Parish. The John W. Harrison of Garruragh House, who died about 1808, and was reported to be the father of Martha Harrison (died in 1846) married to Nicholas Comyn (died in 1818), appears to have had no male heirs. Nor did Nicholas Comyn and Martha Harrison of Garruragh appear to have had any children of their own. Nor, apparently, did Thomas Browne of Newgrove married to Elizabeth Comyn have any male heirs.

T.J. Westropp, in the 1911 issue of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, provided the interesting folklore as to why the Harrisons of Garruragh and Brownes of Newgrove had no male heirs. Westropp's story starts off very slow (the first long paragraph) but then recounts how a dream by a priest warning against the dismantling of the "old church" in Tulla, which appeared to have been ignored by the Harrisons and Brownes and subsequently "both families died out in the male line, hardly a fragment of Garruragh house remaining":
Tulla Churches, Co. Clare.—I have received some interesting information on this subject, which I offer to Miscellanea for the better completion of the notes on the churches of the hill of Tulla. Mr. Alfred Molony heard this father say that part of their family vault embodied the foundations of another wall of the older church. The vault of the O'Connells of Kilgorey partly covered it. Dr. Henry Molony (Member) informs me that its building nearly led to litigation with the Molony family of Cragg. Tradition says that when the "old monastery" was disused or destroyed the family adopted "a bay or crypt" of the ruins for their burial place. In 1702, James Malony, then of Ballinhinch, made the underground vault partly covered by the Kilgorey one. Their uncle, John Molony, was living a Cahermurphy near Lough Graney at the time of the trespass, but determined to acquiesce in it, so built the present upper vault on about half of the older one, removing the 1702 tablet to its wall. Dr. Molony adds that he remembers the Hartes' monument before its fall, and believes that the family lived at Doon, near Broadford. Mrs. Roe, of Bolart, daughter of Henry Harte, of Gortroe, near Tulla, said that her own line was descended from the Hartes of Coolrus, Co. Clare, and were related to the family at Doon. Dr. Molony also heard from his aunt that there was no marble altar-piece in the old church, where she had often worshipped. Canon Dwyer was mistaken in his statement as to its former existence.

Rev. John Molony, of Moffat, Scotland, heard various traditions from an old retainer, Paddy Rogers (who claimed to have lived under six generations of the family, and remembered the rebellion of '98, dying some thirty-five years ago, at the age of 96 or 97), and from a Patrick Doogan, who emigrated to America about the same time, and whose grandfather was reputed to have reached the age of 103. There existed an old "church town" west of the church of "Tullachanaspull" (as Rogers always called it), which Browne of Newgrove and Harrison of Garruragh determined to remove. A priest rode to Tulla from Co. Galway to stop them, saying that he had seen in a dream the tower of Tulla split and "fall in two halves," one half on Garruragh, the other on Newgrove. They neglected this warning, and both families died out in the male line, hardly a fragment of Garruragh house remaining.

My informants' grandfather, Patrick Molony, of Cragg, also opposed the dismantling of the old church; but then it was struck by lightning, which turned the scale, and the new one was built in 1822 (as I wrote, but date got misrepresented "1812").

The foundation of a thick mortar-built wall, at right angles to the old north wall, was often struck by grave-diggers. It lay half way between the west wall of the church and that of the graveyard. The late Dr. James Molony told his sons that it was part of the old castle, it may have been the "Abbey Tower" alluded to above, or the west wall of the older church, as Michael Loughlin was positive as to the castle standing outside the graveyard.

. . . [see below links for complete article] . . .

T. J. Westropp

The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland
Sixth Series, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Jun. 30, 1911), pp. 188-190

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25514158
https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/w ... socantiqie
But what was the "old church" that was "dismantled" in Tulla? I had initially assumed, very incorrectly, that this was the old Catholic church in Tulla. I tried to link the building of the "new church" to the history of "The Diocese of Killaloe, 1800-1850" by Ignatius Murphy who wrote of the tradition that a new Catholic church in Tulla was built in 1832, which he believed was several years too early:
Tulla: According to tradition mass was first said in the new church of Tulla in 1832. This seems too early a date. The OS Name Books, Co. Clare, give 1836 as the year of erection. When Charles Fahy PP was transferred [out] in 1837 it was still unfinished, although in use, and it was completed by his successor, Patrick Sheehy.

"Appendix 1: Chapels and Churches built between 1800 and 1850"
Ignatius Murphy has no information on the prior Catholic church in Tulla that I could find in his three volume set, but it was not the C of I church that was either dismantled or struck by lightning referred to in Westropp's article. "A Tour of Historic Buildings in Tulla, County Clare" by Michael McMahon on the County Clare Heritage Office website was very informative and corrected my mistaken view. McMahon states that the "remains of the stone church that is visible today, was built in the early 1700s as a Church of Ireland. By 1812 it was no longer in use, as a new Church was built to accommodate the congregation (Stop no. 8 )". There seems to be some confusion, as noted by Westropp, if the "new one", referring to Church of Ireland, was built in 1812 or 1822. Westropp's journal article stated that Paddy Rogers always referred to "Tullachanaspull" which is defined in McMahon's tour guide as "Hill of the Apostles".

https://heritage.clareheritage.org/plac ... unty-clare

In 1911 when T.J. Westropp submitted his journal article, Paddy Rogers, "the old retainer", was stated to have died 35 years ago, or about 1876, at the age of 97 or 98 years old, so born about 1778. Westropp wanted to convey that his informant, the Rev. John Molony of Scotland, had a source in Paddy Rogers who was old enough to know of the Irish folklore surrounding the dismantling of the old Tulla church.

Paddy Roger's year of death was in 1878, which from the perspective of the 1911 journal article was very close to "35 years ago". However, the civil death record completed by his daughter, Mary Rogers, stated that he was only 88 years old, or born about 1790. His daughter may have reported his age inaccurately, either out of ignorance or else to make herself appear not so old. Under either Westropp's version of events (born 1778), or the year of birth reflected on his 1878 civil death record (born 1790), Paddy Rogers could have "remembered the rebellion of '98" and been aware of the Irish folklore surrounding the dismantling of the old church in Tulla.

Patrick Rogers Family of Cragg Townland, Tulla Parish:

Patrick Rogers (≈1778 ? ≈1790 ? - died 1878) and Mary Halloran (≈1792 - 1872) of Cragg townland, Tulla Parish would have been married prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla marriage register.

In the Tithe Applotment book for Tulla Parish, dated 11 February 1827, in the locality "Craganecreen & Knockballyore" there was a Michael Rogers, who followed a "Patt Molony, Esq" in the apllotment book. "Cragnecreen" was likely later shortened to "Cragg" and I reckon that Michael Rogers was the father of Patrick Rogers of Cragg.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... la_tab.htm

In 1855 Griffith Valuation, Patrick Rogers was not listed. However, he was possibly a steward living in Cragg townland, Plot 1, lessee "in fee" of "Anne Molony" (the widow of John Patrick Molony), not in the "house", but in a "steward's house". Both houses valued together at £14. There was a total of 182 acres of land with a valuation of £137. John Patrick Molony (1812 - 1851) was the uncle of the Protestant minister John Molony (1854 - 1925) of Scotland, who heard the various traditions and folklore from Paddy Rogers, and passed them on to T.J. Westropp in 1911.

Mary Rogers, of Drummaghmartin, married, herdsman's wife, 80 years old, died on 14 February 1872; informant Patrick Rogers, present at death Drummaghmartin. Patrick Rogers, of Drummaghmartin, widower, herd, 88 years old, died on 4 February 1878; informant Mary Rogers, present at death, Tulla (nor reported, but his daughter). Both Tulla civil registration, but Patrick's reported as Galway in error.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 277514.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 200240.pdf

Drummaghmartin townland was discussed previously as the location of the Garruragh workhouse cemetery (no longer in existence and apparently totally forgotten). At 1855 Griffith Valuation, Drummaghmartin's 156 acres were leased by Anne Molony (same as nearby Cragg townland to the west) and contained a herd's house. It is possible that Patrick Rogers in 1855 was living at the herd's house of Drummaghmartin townland instead of the steward's house of Cragg townland.

Paddy Rogers and Mary Halloran were the parents of at least seven daughters and one or two sons. Two children were likely baptized prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla baptism register. Prior to living in Cragg townland, Patrick Rogers and Mary Halloran appear to have been living in Uggoon townland with two children baptized there in 1819 and 1823.

1.0 Michael Rogers, born prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla baptism register? was he a first born son of Patrick Rogers named after his grandfather? One of the witnesses at the 1843 marriage of Honora Rogers to Michael Roughan was a Michael Rogers. A Michael Rogers and Nance Roughan, with an unknown marriage record, were the parents of two children reported in the Tulla baptism registers with the location of "Foxhall", the same mysterious location (presumably in Cragg townland) as many of the children of Honora Rogers and Michael Roughan (next family). Later whereabouts of this family are a mystery.

.................... 1.1 Sarah Rogers (1844 - unknown), of Foxhall, was baptized on 28 July 1844; father reported as Michael Rogers and mother as Nance Roughan; sponsor Bid Mulquiny (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 1.2 Ellen Rogers (1849 - unknown), of Foxhall, was baptized on 4 August 1849; father reported as Michael Rogers and mother as Nance Rouhan; sponsor Nance Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

2.0 Honora Rogers (≈1818 - 1893) was baptized prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846.

Norry Rodgers, of Tulla, married Michael Roughan on 28 February 1843 at Tulla Parish; witnesses Patt Rodgers (bride's father?) and Michael Rodgers (bride's brother?), per Tulla marriage register, 1819-1846.

In 1855 Griffith Valuation for Cragg townland, Michael Roughan is the lessee for Plots 2 and 3; lessor Anne Molony; house and land; about 12 acres; valued at £5. With James Kelly, he also shared Plot 5, land only, 8 acres, each with a valuation of 10 shillings.

Honor Roughan, of Cragg, married, farmer's wife, age 74 years, died on 22 March 1893; informant Patt Roughan, son of deceased. Michael Roughan, of Cragg, widower, age 87 years, died on 24 November 1896; informant his son, Patt Roughan of Cragg.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 709880.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 667761.pdf

Michael Roughan (≈1809 - 1896) and Honora Rogers (≈1818 - 1893) were the parents of six children baptized in the Tulla baptism registers:

.................... 2.1 Edmond Roughan (1843 - unknown), of Foxhall, was baptized in December 1843; father Michael "Rouhan" and mother Nory Rogers; sponsor Mary Rogers, the child's aunt (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 2.2 John Roughan (1845 - unknown), of Foxhall, was baptized in August 1845; father Michael "Rouhan" and mother Nory Rogers; sponsor Mary Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1819-1846).

.................... 2.3 Patrick Roughan (1848 - 1926), "Pat", of Foxhall, was baptized on 29 June 1848; father Michael Roughan and mother Nory Rogers; sponsor Mary Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

Patrick Roughan, of Cragg, "age 30", son of farmer Michael Roughan, married Margaret McMahon, of Magherabaun, "age 20", daughter of farmer Pat McMahon, on 21 February 1882 at Feakle Chapel by the curate Charles Stuart; witnesses John Considine and Margaret McMahon (Scariff registration).

Patrick Roughan (1848 - 1926) and Margaret McMahon (≈1856 - 1946) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>[/color] were the parents of eight children:

................................... 2.3.1 Michael Roughan (age 17 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; x>
................................... 2.3.2 Edward Roughan (age 15 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>
................................... 2.3.3 Nora Roughan (age 13 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>
................................... 2.3.4 John Roughan (age 10 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>
................................... 2.3.5 Denis Roughan (age 9 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>
................................... 2.3.6 James Roughan (age 7 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>
................................... 2.3.7 Mary Roughan (age 5 in 1901) <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 2; House 2>
................................... 2.3.8 Joseph Roughan (1897 - 1898)

.................... 2.4 Margaret Roughan (1854 - unknown) was baptized on 22 March 1854, father Michael Roughan and mother Honora Rogers; sponsor Mary Rogers, the child's aunt (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862). The location was transcribed as "Poor-house", however, I reckon, this location was associated with the subsequent baptism, reported as illegitimate, on the 25th of March and its full location was "Poor-house, Garruragh". No location was reported for the baptism of Margaret Roughan. The ancestry website has this Tulla baptism entry as 22 March 1859 in error.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 5/mode/1up

.................... 2.5 Michael Roughan (1857 - unknown), of Foxhall, was baptized on 6 September 1857, father Michael "Roughen" and mother Honor Rogers; sponsors Edmond "Rouhen" and Catherine O'Grady (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

.................... 2.6 Bridget Roughan (1860 - unknown), of "Doonane", was baptized on 9 May 1860, father Michael Roughan and mother Norry Rodgers; sponsor Mary Rogers, the child's aunt (Tulla baptism register, 1846-1862).

3.0 Mary Rogers (1819 - 1896), of "Uggoone", was baptized on 9 August 1819, father Patrick Rogers and mother Mary Halloran; sponsors John McGrath and Anne Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

Mary Rogers was the baptism sponsor for one Roughan nephew in 1843 and two nieces in 1854 and 1860. She was also the informant on the civil death record when her father died in 1878.

Mary Rodgers, of Tulla, spinster, dressmaker, "age 70", died on 22 April 1896; informant was Patt Roughan, nephew of deceased, present at death, Cragg. Patt Roughan reported the death of his aunt very late in November 1896 on the same day as reporting the death of his own father.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 667761.pdf

4.0 Patrick Rogers (1821 - unknown), of Uggoon, was baptized on 13 May 1821, father Patrick Rogers and mother Mary Halloran; sponsors John MacGrath and Anne Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

Possibly, the Patrick Rogers of Glandree, married to Bess Halloran, with children born between 1841 and 1849? Unlikely.

5.0 Bridget Rogers (1825 - unknown), of "Bunavry", was baptized on 18 December 1825, father Pat Rogers and mother Mary Halloran; sponsors John Mealy and Briget Hogan (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

6.0 Sarah Rogers (1830 - unknown), of "Crag", was baptized on 24 March 1830, father Patt Rogers and mother Mary Halloran; sponsors Peter Lillis and Kate Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

7.0 Catherine Rogers (1832 - unknown), of "Crag", was baptized on 23 April 1832, father Pat Rogers and mother reported as "Corry"; sponsor Biddy Considine (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

8.0 Margaret Rogers (1834 - unknown), of "Crag", was baptized on 17 March 1834, father Patt Rogers and mother Mary Halloran; sponsor John Connellan (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

9.0 Ellen Rogers (1836 - unknown), of "Crag", was baptized on 28 December 1836, father Patt Rogers and mother Mary Halloran; sponsor Margaret Halloran (Tulla baptism register, 1819 -1846).

The other source of the traditions surrounding the old church in Tulla was "Patrick Doogan, who emigrated to America about the same time, and whose grandfather was reputed to have reached the age of 103".

The emigration to America noted as "about the same time", I reckon, is referring to the death of Paddy Rogers in 1878. Based upon limited research, my best guess is that Patrick Doogan was the son of Pat Doogan and Mary Creagh of Tulla baptized in 1839; the couple go on to have at least another four children through 1855. His grandfather reputed to have reached the age of 103 might show up in the post-1864 civil death records, but I could not locate him.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi Jimbo

That is a very interesting post – I cannot but marvel at the amount of research done by you. Thanks for that satisfactory explanation re Kilkishen Fever Hospital. I deleted that link to facebook, by the way.

The record of the death of John McNamara, who died in 1870 aged 92, is not for any of the McNamaras we have encountered so far. It is for a John McNamara who lived in Quin parish: 4 Jun 1870, Knocknafena: Death of John McNamara, married, aged 92, Farmer; informant: James McNamara, present at death, Knocknafena.

The Quin-Clooney baptisms 1855-1880 give Knocknafeena as the address for a Michael McNamara and Catherine Dooloughty. They were married in 1868 and the record shows that Michael’s father was John McNamara: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 212464.pdf. Catherine died in 1871, aged 25, leaving Michael a widower: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 281054.pdf. It seems that Michael married again (1873), although the record of that marriage (to Honor Moylan), gives Michael's father’s name as Michael, and Michae's address as Shraheen (Sraheen is a townland in the parish of Quin): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208231.pdf

Knockanfena is not an “official” townland but appears in the Quin-Clooney baptisms,1855-1880, as the address for Michael McNamara and Honor Moylan. Michael and Honor are living in Lassanagh townland in 1901, so it may be that Knocknafena was part of Lassanagh: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1086749/.

Still in the hopes of finding something about the Garruragh McNamaras, I will now send for the record of the death of John McNamara who died in 1868, aged 67,

Going back, briefly, to your post, Jimbo, good work finding Paddy Rogers, “the old retainer”, and his descendants. Someone will find an ancestor among them, I hope. Also good to see again the article, “A Tour of Historic Buildings in Tulla”, by Michael McMahon. I remember looking at it when we were discussing the Tulla Soup School a couple of years ago. Those County Clare Heritage articles are so attractively presented, I find myself reading without meaning to. I found this one during Christmas: “O’Brien’s March from Limerick to Tulla in 1317”, by Michael McNamara: https://heritage.clareheritage.org/plac ... la-in-1317. You will see that the march ends at the old church in Tulla: o
n to Tulach na nespoc [‘hill of bishops’] sanctified by bell and precious Mass, by relics gold-enshrined, by rare piety and notable miracles. In shelter of which famous church that night they lay, and on the irachts enjoined to keep good watch
Wishing you good heath in the new year,
Sheila

Edited on 2 Jan 24 to draw attention to the mention of "Tulach na nespoc" (hill of the bishops)
Last edited by Sduddy on Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:59 pm

There are some information sources, which if not really needed at this point for Jimbo's conclusions about Church of Ireland structures in Tulla, nonetheless should get known as existing online, accessible with the right search terms. I went this general route back in 2014 while researching what became two articles published in Cill Chisin by the Kilkishen committee behind transformation of the deconsecrated Church of Ireland chapel there into the Kilkishen Cultural Centre. The same impetus for Kilkishen's first (and only) C of I structure is relevant to what occurred at Tulla in the same time period: a campaign to revitalize the Church of Ireland gained momentum in the early 1800s and resulted in loans by Church administration to local parishes for chapel building. Kilkishen (known in C of I terms as Clonlea) received its loan in 1811 and had its chapel ready for use by 1814. Here are sources for Tulla's Church of Ireland chapel construction :

Samuel Lewis, 1837 edition
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland http://tinyurl.com/4wbshcax
Tulla or Tulloh (as spelled in that edition)
p. 650
"...The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe...The glebe-house is a good residence near the church...The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of [pound sign] 500, in 1812, is a neat edifice with a spire. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; it contains two chapels, one in town and one at Drimcharley [sic]. There are five private schools…"

From a report of the Deputy Keeper of Public Records:
Table of Parochial Records (starting on p. 53, status of C of I parish registers as of April, 1882)
p.102
Tulloh [Tulla, Diocese of Killaloe]
Baptisms 1805 – 1876
Marriages 1805-1875 [sic]
Burials 1805-1876

The Ecclesiastical Register of...The Prelates, Dignitaries, and Parochial Clergy in Ireland
by John C. Erck (Dublin: 1820)
http://tinyurl.com/mk29a3rr
p.107
No. 10 Tulloh – one church (building in existence) Rev. John Whitty
acreage of the glebe (far right column) matches Samuel Lewis’s description

My second article in the above-described Cill Chisin local publication, p. 58, touched upon the well-known "Whitty family who produced several Church of Ireland ministers, at least two of whom (Irvin and John, sons of Rev. Edward of Rathvilly, Carlow) served in Clare in the 1800s."

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:32 am

Hi Sharon

There is a nice photo of the ruins of the old Protestant Church in this piece on Tulla: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... istory.htm

Sheila

P.S. The 1847 map of Tulla, included among these maps, shows the old church (in ruins) on the right, and the new church on the left. I hope I am right in saying that. The Roman Catholic church is labelled "chapel", as was customary in the 19th century: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... _plans.htm

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:24 am

This report, in the Clare Champion of 12 Jan 2022, on a new book, “By Strangers Mourned, The Historic Burials at Tulla Church of Ireland", by David Brady-Browne, gives some information on the old Protestant Church in Tulla: https://clarechampion.ie/new-book-highl ... -cemetery/.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:58 am

The Irish Church Act 1869, which disestablished the Church of Ireland, did not mean that Roman Catholic chapels began to be called churches; that did not happen until about 1907.
The pre-printed forms issued to priests began with the words “Marriage solemnized at the Roman Catholic Chapel of …”, but, about 1907, this changed to “Marriage solemnized at the Roman Catholic” followed by a blank space to be completed by the priest. I think the priest used all the forms already issued to him before using any of the new forms. So, in 1907, the priest in Quin parish was still using the old form, while the priest in O’Callaghan’s Mills was using the new form.
Example from Quin: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 671741.pdf
Example from O’Callaghan’s Mills: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 671739.pdf

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:19 pm

In the piece on Tulla (above), we are told “In 1829 a new Catholic Church was opened”. But where was the old church and what was it like? I think there must have been at least one church in the parish, and would like to know a little about it. In 1812 there were two Catholic churches in the parish of Moyarta, so I imagine that Tulla parish had its share of Catholic churches too. An article by Ignatius Murphy, ““Fr. Parliament Malachy” Malachy Duggan, Parish Priest of Moyarta and Kilballyowen, c. 1780-1849”, in The Other Clare, Vol. 10 (1986), is informative:
Malachy Duggan was parish priest of Moyarta from 1812 and in charge of the joint parishes until his death in 1849. These were the last years of what one might describe as the “penal church” in Ireland, i.e. practices which had arisen during the years of persecution were still the norm and remained so until after the reorganisation of church discipline at the Synod of Thurles in 1850. In this situation the church building had not yet become the focal point of sacramental life, apart from Sunday mass. Baptisms and weddings were performed in the homes of people, while the “station masses” provided the chief opportunity for confession … In 1812 there were two churches in the parishes, at Cross and Doonaha. Both had been built a few years previously because of the agricultural boom during the Napoleonic Wars. Fr. Duggan estimated that the Cross Chapel could hold 4,000 people and that at Doonaha could hold 2,5000. These figures indicate that there was little seating in either of the churches, in common with most of the churches of the period.
Visitors to Ireland in pre-famine times did not describe the Catholic churches; probably they did not even enter them. I think that such descriptions as we have come mainly from priests who were setting about building a new church and wanted to show the dire necessity for it; churches are described as thatched and letting in the rain on the mud floors. Recently I was reading a piece by William Allingham in An Irish Childhood, an anthology edited by A. Norman Jeffares and Antony Kamm (1987). Most of the pieces are by Anglo-Irish writers, who do not describe the ordinary Irish childhood, but William Allingham (1824-89), describing church-going in his childhood in Co. Donegal, gives us a glimpse of the interior of a Catholic chapel. Normally he attended the Church of Ireland church with his parents and describes the church as “spacious, lofty, and venerable. It was cruciform, with round-topped windows, the ground floor filled with high pews”. The description continues for two more pages and then he says:
Once or twice I was taken clandestinely to mass by a nurse, on some Saint’s Day most likely, and stood or sat for a while just inside the Chapel door. It felt like a strange adventure, with some flavour of horror, but more of repulsiveness, from the poverty of the congregation and the intonation of the priests. I remember arguing with my nurse Kitty Murray (who only died this year, 1883, at the supposed age of ninety-three – but I don’t think it was she who took me to chapel), for the superiority of Protestantism because ‘the Catholics, you see, are poor people’; to which Kitty replied, ‘It may be different in the next world.’ A good answer, I felt, and attempted no retort; being indeed at no time of my life addicted to argue for argument’s sake, or for triumph.
Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:52 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you very much for obtaining and sharing the civil death record for the John McNamara, who died in 1870 at the age of 92 years old. Knocknafeena townland sounds very familiar. Are you sure that we haven't come across this John McNamara during the search for the missing Civil War soldier Thomas McNamara of Glandree?

The lessor of Cragg townland at Griffith Valuation was the widow, Mrs. Anne Canny Molony, who had married in 1838:
MARRIAGES.
Tuesday, at Sixmilebridge Church, by the Rev. R. Brew, and afterwards at Clonmony House, by the Rev. Charles Fahy, V.G., John P. Molony, Esq. of Crag, to Anne, third daughter of Denis Canny, Esq.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 15 February 1838
Since the Canny family of Clonmony House were Catholic, the 1838 marriage had to first be performed by a Protestant minister. Ignatius Murphy in "The Diocese of Killaloe: 1800-1850" provided the history of laws regulating mixed marriages between Catholics and Protestants:
Up to 1792 intermarriage between Catholics and Protestants was prohibited by law and any Catholic priest who performed a mixed marriage was liable to the death penalty. Legislation in 1792 allowed mixed marriages but the death penalty for a Catholic priest who officiated at the Catholic-Protestant marriage remained in force. The following year a further statute allowed a fine of £500 to be imposed, although the death penalty remained a legal possibility. It was not until 1833 that the penalties were removed. However, the new act was explicit in stating that a mixed marriage celebrated by a Catholic priest was still void in civil law. This provision was not repealed until 1870. A Catholic priest could only officiate if the couple had previously fulfilled the requirements of the law in a Protestant ceremony. The Clare Journal of 15 August 1839 noted one such mixed marriage with two separate ceremonies:
On Monday last, by the Revd William Young, and afterwards by the Revd Mr O'Gorman, P.P., of Clare, the Duke de Roviego, to Miss Stamer of Carnelly.
Interestingly enough, Ignatius Murphy added that a "marriage before a Protestant clergyman would have been recognized by the Catholic Church even without a separate Catholic ceremony" due to a ruling from Rome in 1795 which provided an exception for mixed marriages in Ireland celebrated without a Catholic priest. Such marriages were considered valid in the eyes of the Catholic church until a decree in 1908.

During the years of the Great Famine, J.P. Molony of Cragg experienced obstacles in bringing his harvest to market:
Wednesday last as a man named Donohoe, was proceeding to the market of Ennis, with a load of oats, the property of John Patrick Molony, Esq. J.P. of Cragg, county Clare, he was stopped near the village of Carahan, by two men armed with pistols, who insisted on his going back with the corn, telling him that in compliment to Mr. Molony they would not shoot the horse that time—but if he attempted to send out any more corn for sale, they would deal with him as they had done with everyone else. When the man returned to report what had been done to him, Mr. Molony immediately ordered his horse, and having armed himself, rode to Ennis with the load of corn, and disposed of it in the market. If a few more of the gentry in the disturbed districts evinced the same determination, the system of terror which now pervades the country would be soon put an end to.

Limerick Chronicle, Wednesday, 28 October 1846
STATE OF THE COUNTRY.

Before closing our observations, however, we must again revert to the various outrages which are still being perpetrated throughout the country. Last week, another horse was shot at Carahan, within a short distance of the police barrack, the property of J.P. Molony of Cragg, on returning home from leaving some wheat at Ennis mill to be ground into flour for the use of his family. Another poor man of the name of Whelan, who had also brought in an ass-load of wheat for the same purpose had his ass shot [a donkey in this context] at Cranaher, when returning home. What is peculiarly distressing with regard to such outrages is the confidence with which these lawless ruffians perform their deeds of violence, not being apparently under the slightest apprehension of being arrested by the people around. . . .

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 16 November 1846
Saturday morning last, while a quantity of corn belonging to John P. Molony, of Cragg, Esq., was being brought to Ennis market, accompanied by some policemen in coloured clothes, a man from behind a wall discharged a gun at the horse. The shot, however, did not take effect, and the man was immediately pursued and arrested, with a double barrelled gun and case of pistols in his possession. He was committed to Ennis gaol for trial at the next assizes. The prisoner's name was Cusack, and it is remarkable, that, at last assizes, he obtained 36 shillings as compensation for an ass belonging to himself, which he stated had been maliciously shot.

Limerick Chronicle, Wednesday, 20 October 1847
LIMERICK, OCT. 27—The following letter has been received by Malachy Kelly, Esq., steward to John Patrick Molony, Esq., of Cragg, for his courageous and praiseworthy conduct on the 16th instant, when his master's horses were fired at whilst conveying corn to the Ennis market, on which occasion the person who fired the shots was arrested by the Tulla police:—
Dublin Castle, 22d October, 1847
MALACHY KELLY, I am directed by the Lord Lieutenant to inform you that Captain Leyne, R.M., will pay to you the sum of Ten Pounds, which his Excellency has awarded to you, as a reward for your faithful and spirited conduct in the recent attack on your master's property, as well as on a former occasion.—I am, your humble servant,
T.N.REDINGTON.

Care of J.P. Molony, Esq., Cragg.
Dublin Evening Post, Thursday, 28 October 1847
Anne Canny Molony lost both her father in 1850 and husband in 1851. Her brother, Matthew Canny, would take over the coroner position previously held by her husband.
DEATHS.
On Monday, at Clonmony, at an advanced age, Denis Canny, Esq. Through his long life he was greatly esteemed by all who knew him. He was of active disposition, and maintained a high character for integrity and uprightness—he was a fond husband, a kind friend, an indulgent parent, and an intelligent country gentleman.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Thursday, 11 April 1850
Mr. J.P. Molony has resigned, as Coroner, for the Bunratty division of the county of Clare, in consequence of illness.

Limerick and Clare Examiner, Wednesday, 29 January 1851
An election of Coroner for the Tulla district, co. Clare, in room (?) of the late J.P. Molony, Esq., was held on Monday, when Mathew Canny, Esq., J.C., was elected by a majority of 20 over Dr. Sampson.

Limerick and Clare Examiner, Wednesday, 12 March 1851
The above events have led me to revise my theory where Paddy Rogers, "the old retainer", was living in 1855 at the time of Griffith Valuation. Previously, I had thought the steward's house in Plot 1 was the most likely of three good options (all with the widow, Anne Molony, as lessor):

a) Cragg townland, Plot 1, in steward's house.
b) Cragg townland, Plots 2/3, in house of son-in-law, Michael Roughan.
c) Drummaghmartin townland, Plot 1, herd's house.

Paddy Rogers at Griffith Valuation in 1855 would have been at least 65 years old, and more likely over 70, and thus I reckon more likely to have been living in the herd's house in Drummaghmartin, the same locality where both he and his wife died in 1878 and 1872, respectively. The much younger Malachy Kelly, who married in February 1855, was more likely to have been the loyal steward living at Plot 1 in the steward's house of Cragg towland (with the widow, Mrs. Anne Molony, also in Plot 1 at Cragg House).

Malachy Kelly Family of Cragg Townland, Tulla Parish

Malachy Kelly, whose first born son was named James, was very likely the son of James Kelly living in Cragg townland at Griffith Valuation in Plot 4; lessor Anne Molony; about 11 acres; £5 and 5 shillings. James Kelly also shared Plot 5, land only, with Michael Roughan. James Kelly likely died prior to the 1864 start of civil death records.

Malachy Kelly, no residence reported, married Margaret McNamara, no residence reported, on 20 February 1855 in Tulla Parish; witnesses Denis McNamara and Anne Doyle. As stated previously, Malachy was likely living in the steward's house of Plot 1 in Cragg townland at the time of Griffith Valuation in 1855.

Margaret Kelly, of Cragg, married, laborer's wife, age 56, died on 25 April 1879; informant Michael Kelly, not reported but her son (index only) Malachy Kelly, of Cragg, widower, farmer, age 70, died on 26 October 1884; informant, daughter Mary Kelly. Both Tulla registration, but Malachy's transcribed as Galway in error.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ... 807364.pdf

Malachy Kelly (≈1814 - 1884) and Margaret McNamara (≈1823 - 1879) were the parents of seven children baptized in Tulla parish registers:

1.0 Anne Kelly (1855 - unknown), of Cragg, a twin, was baptized on 19 March 1857, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret Mac; sponsor Ellen Rogers (Tulla baptism register, 1846 -1862).

2.0 Margaret Kelly (1855 - unknown), of Cragg, a twin, was baptized on 19 March 1857, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret Mac; sponsor Eliza Dud (Tulla baptism register, 1846 -1862).

3.0 Mary Kelly (1858 - died prior to 1861), of Foxhall, was baptized on 24 April 1858, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret McNamara; sponsor Anne Griffy (Tulla baptism register, 1846 -1862).

4.0 James Kelly (1859 - unknown), of Foxhall, was baptized on 4 May 1859, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret McNamara; sponsors James Little and Mary Burke (Tulla baptism register, 1846 -1862).

5.0 Mary Kelly (1861 - 1935), of Foxhall, was baptized in January 1861, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret McNamara; sponsor Hannah McNamara (Tulla baptism register, 1846 -1862).

Mary Kelly, of Foxhall, Tulla, daughter of Malachy Kelly (deceased), married James Henchy, of Maher, Quin, son of Michael Henchy (deceased) and Bridget McNamara (per Quin baptism record), on 16 February 1894; witnesses Patrick Ryan and Ellen O'Halloran (Tulla registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 845316.pdf

James Hinchy (1861 - 1933) and Mary Kelly (1861 - 1935) had no children. <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 3; House 2> In the 1901 census, Michael Kelly, farm laborer, age 30, brother-in-law, was living in the Hinchy household. In the 1911 census, a Martin Kelly, servant, age 16, was living in the household. At the 1921 Rate Book for Kiltannon, James Hinchy held in Cragg townland, a house in Plot 4 and bog land in Plot 5 (the same plots as his father-in-law, Malachy Kelly, at Griffith Valuation).

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... n_ded1.htm

James Hinchy, of Cragg, farmer, married, age 72, died on 4 January 1933; informant his wife Mary Hinchy of Cragg. Mary Hinchy, a widow of a farmer, age 73, died on 27 November 1935 at Tulla; the informant was her sister, Bridget Kelly, of Tulla.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 314761.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 295916.pdf

6.0 Bridget Kelly (1862 - 1949), of Foxhall, was baptized on 23 April 1862, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret McNamara; sponsors Thomas Murphy and Honora Burke (Tulla baptism register, 1862 -1881).

In the 1911 census, Bridget Kelly was likely the domestic servant, reported age of 38, living in the town of Tulla in the Fanny Baker household. Bridget was also living in the town of Tulla in 1935 when she was the informant on the civil death record of her sister, Mary Hinchy. <unknown in 1901; Tulla Town, Tulla House 87>
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... wn/372110/

Bridget Kelly, of Cragg, Tulla, a spinster, age 80, died on 1 January 1949; informant Christine Kelly, "daughter-in-law", present at death, Cragg, Tulla (Scariff registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 200131.pdf

The identity of the informant, Christine Kelly, is a mystery. Very unlikely the "daughter-in-law" of Bridget Kelly. Since an "in-law", perhaps Christine married a Kelly cousin somehow related to Bridget's parents, Malachy Kelly or Margaret McNamara, of Cragg townland.

7.0 Michael Kelly (1867 - after 1911), of Foxhall, was baptized on 21 October 1867, father Malachy Kelly and mother Margaret McNamara; sponsor Bridget Halpin (Tulla baptism register, 1862 -1881). In the civil birth record, the occupation of Malachy Kelly was reported as "farmer".

In the 1901 census, Michael Kelly was living with his sister in the Hinchy household of Cragg townland. In the 1911 census, a Michael Kelly, age 44, single, laborer, was living in Milltown townland in Tulla. <Cragg, Kiltannon, House 3; Milltown, Tulla, House 15 ? >

At the Special Commission in Ennis on 14 January 1848:
APPEARING IN ARMS.
Patrick Cusack, a young man about 25 years of age, was indicted for having, on the 18th of October, at Crannaher, appeared in arms, to the fear and terror of her Majesty's subjects.

The offence having been clearly proved.

The prisoner was at once convicted, and sentenced to two years' imprisonment, with hard labour. The Chief Justice observed, that if the indictment had been framed under another statute, he would have certainly been transported.

Kings County Chronicle, Wednesday, 19 January 1848
Given his age and the location of the various shootings in Carrahan, the convicted Patrick Cusack was almost certainly the Patrick baptized in August 1820, the son of Michael Cusack and Bridget Gorman of Carahan (Quin-Clooney baptism register, 1816-1855). Carrahan towland is on the main road about half-way between Cragg and Ennis. There were many men named Patrick Cusack in the Irish prison registers for a variety of crimes, but I could not locate the prison record for the Patrick convicted in January 1848. As noted by the Chief Justice, the two-year sentence of Cusack appears very light, especially compared to the frequent 10-year transportation sentences for stealing a sheep or cow which did not involve a gun. I suspect at the end of his two-year sentence, that Patrick Cusack would have left Ireland for America. At Griffith Valuation for Carahan townland there was only an Eliza Cusack leasing a small plot and house.

In looking at the map of Cragg townland that accompanies the Griffith Valuation report on the askaboutireland website, the 5 plots on the GV report do not agree to the eight listed on the accompanying map.

Plot 1A, the location of Cragg House and 182 acres with Anne Molony as lessor, is far smaller on the map. The western and southern section of Plot 1A has been split off to creates Plot 6 and Plot 8 on the map. Plot 1B, 102 acres of bog land on the GV report, appears to have been divided creating Plot 7 and a larger Plot 5 on the map.

Cragg House in Plot 1A in now a ruin viewable on the satellite view along with its walled garden. Plot 8 on the map contains a rectangular field with its perimeter marked by trees and it states, in difficult to read lettering, "Tobermachulla Kiichalln Grave for Children".

The entranceway to Cragg House used to be a long tree-lined driveway approaching from the southwest; its entrance was opposite the entrance to Bunavory House. The ruins of the Cragg gate or guard house, likely the home of steward Malachy Kelly, are to the right of the entrance way and visible on google street view - see the stone walls surrounded by trees / shrubbery on the left of the photo:

Ruins of Guard House to Cragg House on left (google street view).jpg
Ruins of Guard House to Cragg House on left (google street view).jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 231521 times

The long approach to Cragg House is no longer in use. The tall trees on both sides of the driveway are still there for the first third of the driveway, but the remainder has been taken over by a soccer field and a clubhouse. The Tulla United A.F.C., founded in 1970, appears to have later purchased Plot 8, adjacent to Cragg House in Plot 1A, to build their football field and clubhouse (not sure when). If you check out photo 13/29, "Clubhouse, The Cragg", in their website's photo collection, I believe the ruins of Cragg House are visible behind the club house in the right background.

https://www.tullaunited.com/

It is surprising to me that Bridget Kelly who died in 1949 was only one generation away from the Great Famine since her father, Malachy Kelly, was a steward who in 1847 was awarded £10 for his loyalty to his landlord, J.P. Molony of Cragg House. I wonder what was the family connection of the informant at the death of Bridget Kelly in 1949? And who inherited the Kelly lands at Cragg townland? I often wonder if, say, Malachy's eldest son James Kelly born in 1859 had immigrated to America and his children were the closest relatives to inherit the Cragg lands upon the death of Bridget Kelly in 1949, would their more distant relatives still living in Ireland have made any effort to track down their American cousins to inherit what was rightly their land?

For the modern Irish people living in Ireland today, especially those of the farming class, I reckon there frequently might be some concern over the true ownership and title to their land. And in the back of their minds, or even with the odd nightmare, that someday there might be a knock on their door and someone will be at their doorstep and, with a loud American or Australian accent, say, "this is my land".

The death of Bridget Kelly of Cragg townland in 1949 was not so long ago. I'd have to research the Irish land laws but I reckon well within the 100 year statute of limitations if there were any shenanigans over the inheritance.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/

Was the mysterious "Christine Kelly", the reported "daughter-in-law" on the 1949 civil death record of spinster Bridget Kelly, of the same family that would inherit the Cragg lands of the Malachy Kelly family? What happened to the James Kelly, son of Malachy Kelly and Margaret McNamara, born in 1859? Where did James Kelly end up and are there any descendants who would have been more closely related in the line of inheritance?

To be continued,