Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by smcarberry » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm

This posting is one that must be done, although all possible sources have not been consulted. In view of interest in McNamara emigration from Clare to the U.S., I should disclose that there are two sets of McNamara brothers arriving as a group, reliably confirmed although their descendants seem unaware of that early part of their stories. The first set that I reference is the one including Martin McNamara (wife Joanna/Judy McMahon ) already discussed on this thread, leaving upper East Clare, first in Wisconsin and ending in on Richardson County, Nebraska, with descendants on to Washington state.

A. Siblings from Glandree; possible early origin being Lough Graney area (near Galway border)

Martin McNamara’s sibling group was provided in his brother Patrick’s 1900 obituary acknowledging Patrick’s residence in northern-central Pennsylvania. Corry city is in Erie County which borders Lake Erie; Bradford town is east of Corry, in McKean County, both counties along the New York border (distinct from Bradford County PA which is farther east):

“Bradford. - Patrick McNamara, a well known citizen of Bradford, died Aug. 17 at his hotel on Webster street, after a long and painful illness. The cause of his death was a cancerous growth at the base of the tongue. He was born in the County Clare, Ireland, 64 years ago. He came to this country when a young man and settled for a time in New York. Afterward he was a foreman of construction on the Lake Shore Railroad, making his headquarters in Detroit, Mich. He next went to Corry, Pa., where he opened a hotel, 28 years ago. In 1877 he located in Bradford and opened the Corry House, which he had since conducted. Mr. McNamara was a member of the C.M.B.A. Mr. McNamara is survived by three sons, Dennis, who is in California; and Frank and Carl, who are at home, and by two daughters, Misses Nellie and Stella McNamara of this city. He also leaves three brothers, Dennis of Youngstown, O., Michael, who lives in Tennessee, and Martin, a resident of Nebraska.” Irish World, 1 Sep 1900 (New York City newspaper)

While I leave the tracing of Michael McNamara in Tennessee to someone else (see 1870 Hamtramck MI census, boarders Patrick & Michael McNamara), the circumstances of brother Dennis can be mentioned here, because he too became a hotelier as shown on the 1900 census of Youngstown, Ohio, in which his birth is listed as December, 1845, with an immigration year of 1863, citizenship attained, and no children born to him and his wife Mary (possible maiden name Gorman). Dennis lived to the ripe old age of 80, succumbing 1919 to heart disease, with parent information provided by his niece, apparently not accurate (birth 1839, father Dennis, mother: unknown first name, maiden name Costello).

Some of the brothers’ naturalizations occurred in Erie County, Pennsylvania – see my previous posting about a book consulted at Allen County Library, Fort Wayne IN:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=720&p=1598&hilit=co ... ions#p1598

From that posting (this Michael likely not in the sibling set, maybe a more distant relative):

McNamara – all b. Co. Clare, Ire.
Dennis, b. 1848, emigrated 1863, certificate filed 28 Aug 1876, sponsor Patrick Keleher, residing Corry

Michael, b. 1833, emigrated 1850, certificate filed 26 Feb 1868, sponsor Patrick O'Brien

Patrick, b. 1841, emigrated 1858, intention filed 29 Sep 1868, certificate 29 Aug 1871, sponsor Wm. Morgan; residing Corry…

extracted from
Erie County, Pennsylvania Naturalizations, 1825 – 1906
by Erie Society for Genealogical Research, c. 1983

B. Sibling set from Clare Abbey/Killone

This time the starting point is a Missing-Friends-type ad provided on an old U.S.GenWeb site for Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, saved for many years in my e-file:

“Information wanted. Mr. John Francis MacSweeny desires information of his four uncles: William, Francis, Michael and Timothy MacNamara, from Clare, in the parish of Clare Abbey and Killone, County Clare, Ireland, who emigrated to this country some ten years ago. When last heard from[,] they were in Brownsville, Pa. Any intelligence respecting them will be gratefully received by their nephew. Address him care of the Bishop of Pittsburgh. New York and Philadelphia papers please note.”
Pittsbugh Catholic Newspaper, 23 Mar 1844 edition

Brownsville was/is in Fayette County, where the brothers’ naturalizations took place as posted in the U.S.GenWeb Archives for that county, repeated below with light editing:

"William McNamara: born in County Clare, Ireland; emigrated from there May 15, 1836, and arrived...at New York...in 1833...; is now about the age of 25 years.

Timothy McNamara: petition of 1835, admitted as citizen; born in County Clare, Ireland, migrated from there May 12, 1830 and arrived...in New York…; in 1833 was at the age of 32 years (witness was Francis McNamara).

Michael McNamara [two separate filings listed, repeated here the more likely one for a sibling]:
petition of 1833 states that he emigrated May of 1829 to arrival… [in] Monroe County New York;...in...1833 he is about 30 to 31 years old..[in his subsequent petition of 1835]...witness is Timothy McNamara. [Monroe County was the first U.S. location of several early Clare emigrants who earlier were across Lake Ontario, in Cobourg ONT, Canada]

Francis McNamara: petition March, 1833...a native of County Clare, Ireland; aged...33 to 35...[in] 1833; arrived in the United States July 1830."
[end of excerpt]

The 1840 census has a listing for William McNamara in Mercer County, near Fayette Co. although age groupings were used with no forenames, so William’s could be either 40 to 49 or 50 to 59 on that census.

A biography for Francis is much better for early U.S. history (note: Rochester NY is Monroe Co.):

"McNAMARA, FRANCIS, Jefferson township, farmer, post office, Danville, was born in county Clare, Ireland, in 1798. In 1850 [sic, likely 1830] he emigrated to America, locating in Rochester, New York, where he remained about one year, then moved to Holidaysburgh, Pennsylvania, where he and three of his brothers took a contract on a railroad, which they completed in about two years. In 1838 he went to Uniontown, Pennsylvania, and took a contract for building several miles of the National road. His last contract was near West Alexandria, Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he married Miss Christina Weber in 1835. Mrs. McNamara was born in Germany in 1812. They settled in Brownsville, Fayette county, Pennsylvania, remaining until in 1840, when they came to Knox county, Ohio, and located in Jefferson township, on the farm where they are now living.

Since his settlement in Jefferson township he has made clearing, farming and stock raising, his vocation. They have had a family of nine children, viz: William, John G., Margaret A., Mary, Francis K., Barbara, Bridget, Matthew, and George G. Barbara and Bridget are dead.
Mr. McNamara is living now at the age of eighty-two years, enjoying good health."

p.733, History of Knox County, Ohio, Its Past and Present, compiled by N.N. Hill, Jr. (A.A. Graham & Co., 1881)
http://www.heritagepursuit.com/Knox/KnoxFile9.htm

Knox County OH is due west of Fayette Co. PA. Francis McNamara lived out his life there, with his children baptized at St. Luke’s RC church in Dansville. His German-born wife Christine may or may not have been Catholic. As to daughters Barbara and Bridget:
Barbara (1845-1869) died unmarried.
Bridget (1847–1876) married at St. Luke’s in 1871 a man named Marion Thomas, any children not known/not listed by those assembling FindaGrave memorials.

Francis and Christine’s son Frank b.c. 1838 was shown on the 1870 census as living in rural Knox Co. (Jefferson township) with his wife Sarah (nee Porter), children William b.c.1860 and Phedora b.c. 1868. Frank Jr’s FindaGrave memorial notes that he, b.1843, died 3 days short of his 30th birthday, with no explanation for the youngish death or the 5-year difference in birth years (1838 vs. 1843). Does this indicate an unclear state of affairs ? Maybe literally speaking ? Did Knox County have a young woman named Mary McCoy of the right age to attract the attention of Frank Jr. in the early 1870s? Yes, Knox County marriage records show that Mary McCoy wed Daniel Campbelle in 1874. Unfortunately, Knox Co. newspapers aren’t accessible for this time period. The possibility is there. Why no mention of Frank Jr's 1873 death in Francis Sr's 1881 bio ?

Knox Co. records do show that Frank Jr’s son William married 1884 Laura/Lora Banbury, the resulting family living out their years on a Knox Co. farm, with 3 children spaced 7 years apart, the last born 1901 named John. Was this baby named for another John McNamara who departed their farm by 1900 for Cincinnati, ending up in Alabama ? Was Barbara Jean’s grandfather John an “unofficial” child of Frank Jr, placed first with Frank’s childless married sister Bridget and then, 2 years later upon Bridget’s death placed with other relatives, ending up with Frank Jr’s son William (John’s half-brother, not uncle) and wife Laura (marriage 1884, the year usually used by John for his birth) ? Were his earliest years so unsettling that he just closed the book on that time in his life, remaining fond of his aunt Bridget so he asked that his granddaughter be given that name, and acknowledging help from William and wife Laura but burying all else with false geopolitical references ?

I will suggest to Barbara Jean McNamara that she learn more about what happened to Frank Jr. in 1873, the earliest birth year listed by her grandfather John in his records (although he used mostly 1884). Anyone else with an inclination is welcome to help with data on Francis’s son Frank Jr. or tracing of Francis Sr.’s brothers Timothy and William.
Last edited by smcarberry on Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:15 am

Hi Sharon,

Regarding the McNamara siblings from Clare Abbey / Killone, Part B of your posting, I have nothing to add other than to say it is interesting that they arrived in the USA so early in the 1830's.

Part A of your posting with the 1900 obituary for Patrick McNamara, born in County Clare, and of Bradford, McKean County, Pennsylvania, was also very interesting. A more detailed obituary than most and great that Patrick's three brothers and their locations were provided, including "Martin, a resident of Nebraska". Sharon, am I correct in thinking that it was this specific comment that you've made the direct link to County Clare born Martin McNamara of Manitowoc County, Wisconsin who later moved to Nebraska?

In looking at further evidence, I reckon this connection is unlikely:

1) In the 1900 census, Johanna McNamara (age 89), the widow of Martin McNamara, had moved from Nemaha County, Nebraska to Yakima, Washington to be with her son, Thomas C. McNamara. Since Martin McNamara had died prior to 1900, the family of Patrick McNamara of Bradford would typically not have included him in the 1900 obituary. There are varying years/dates of death for Martin McNamara on family trees on the ancestry website. A few have 1884, which is clearly incorrect since Martin and Johanna appear in the 1885 state census. Others, state 6 September 1893 which is more likely, but I've not verified.

1900 Census, Yakima, WA: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM5S-CBY

2) Age variances: Martin McNamara was born in Ireland close to 1810:

1860 census (born ≈1810) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MW93-8JG
1870: "Martin Mask" (≈1812) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MN9P-6BH
1880: (≈1812) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8YK-XV4
1885: (≈1812) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3FQ-C7K

His widow, Johanna McNamara, was aged 89, born March 1811, in the 1900 census. Her year of immigration was reported as 1847.

Therefore, it would be very unlikely that Martin McNamara, born about 1812, would have as siblings those individuals reported in the 1900 obituary of Patrick McNamara of Bradford. They appear too young. In particular, the Dennis McNamara of Youngstown, Ohio, who was reported in the 1900 census as born in December 1845; and on his 1919 death record as 1839. The parents reported on his death record with father as Dennis McNamara, and mother's maiden name of Costello, might well be accurate. Patrick McNamara of Bradford did name his first born son as Dennis.

1919 death record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X825-1M4

3) Mary McNamara O'Brien of Maple Grove, Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Married to John O'Brien of Feakle and a very likely sibling of Martin McNamara of Manitowoc and later Nebraska, as you suggested. Born about 1820, a very age appropriate sibling. Mary O'Brien died on 24 October 1900 in Maple Grove, but she was not reported as a sibling in 1 September 1900 obituary of Patrick McNamara of Bradford? The local newspaper in Manitowoc often printed the local news in a separate, and very rich in detail, Maple Grove column; there was never a mention of the siblings noted in the Bradford newspaper's obituary.

4) Michael McNamara of Tennessee in 1900? Martin McNamara of Nebraska in 1900?

From prior research of the McNamara's of Knoxville, I noted many McNamara's living in Memphis. Can't find a Martin McNamara born in Ireland living in Nebraska in 1900. However, he could be hiding in the census records under a poor spelling of "McNamara" or perhaps use of initials. A "M. J. McNamara" living in Omaha, Nebraska in the 1870 census was actually a Martin McNamara. A Civil War veteran from Brooklyn, his widow applied for a pension in 1897, so he was not living at the time of the 1900 obituary.

1870 Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MHDQ-787

One thing to consider regarding the 1900 obituary of Patrick McNamara of Bradford, Pennsylvania: the McNamara family might not have been in frequent contact with their McNamara's uncles who lived in other states. Patrick McNamara's son, Dennis, was noted as being in California in the 1900 obituary. And here is Dennis McNamara, born in Pennsylvania in April 1872, working as a laborer for the Southern Pacific railway in Kern County, California:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9P6-6MJ

This was consistent with the 1900 obituary, but, in fact, the McNamara family of Bradford, Pennsylvania, had no contact with their son / brother for several years. He was missing.
DENNIS M'NAMARA
He is Badly Wanted, as Heir to an Estate in Pennsylvania

The managers of the Postal Telegraph Company has instructed Miss Wilson, the local operator of this city, to have the following telegram published:
"BRADFORD, Penn., Aug. 21, 1900.
"Dennis McNamara — Your father is dead. Hotel is willed to you. Come at once. Answer. — J.B. Fox, Executor.
Anyone knowing the whereabouts of Dennis McNamara would do him a kindness to notify him of this telegram.

The Hartford Sentinel, Hartford, California, 21 August 1900
Heir to $1,000,000 Estate.

Chief of Police Hugh Dean of Texarkana, Ark., has received a tracer from Bradford, Pa., for a young man named Dennis McNamara, who is said to be sole heir to his father's estate and is wanted in Bradford to lay claim to it. He left home several years ago and is supposed to be in the southwest somewhere, working on a railroad. The estate to which he is the heir is worth about $1,000,000.

Elmore Independent
, Elmore, Ohio, 2 November 1900
Edit: replace Minnesota with Wisconsin
Last edited by Jimbo on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:43 pm

Jimbo, I agree with so many of your observations, such as what to do about no Martin McN. candidate in the 1900 Nebraska census, an obituary mention that which I had to accept based on lack of good long-distance communication in that era. I also had the 1900 heir-sought news item based on the telegram, for hotelier Patrick's son Dennis, mine from a publication called Hanford Journal. Now that I know about the McN. widow's army pension application, that will go on my to-do list when I next get to the National Archives in D.C.

I need to edit my earlier posting, as there is an obvious error =- "Mrs. McNamara" actually indicates an omitted line from the obituary, which should instead read at that point: "Mr. McNamara was a member of the C.M.B.A. He is survived by three sons..."

I suggest your doing a minor edit on your posting so that Manitowoc County is listed as being in Wisconsin, rather than Minnesota. The two of us know its actual geopolitical location but other readers may be confused. Fortunately, there is only one Manitowoc County in the entire U.S.

SMC

P.S. Doing this in haste, as I have an appointment to attend. Overall, very happy that the Forum is up and running again, after a few days offline.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:46 am

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for reminding me that Manitowoc was in Wisconsin and not Minnesota. It is easy to confuse the two states. My focus was ensuring that I had the correct state for Bradford, and was too lazy to confirm the location of Manitowoc. I had it correct as Wisconsin on my posting on the prior page. I had pictured the Irish families of Manitowoc on farms surrounded by miles of open prairie, but in now looking at a map, I'm surprised to learn that Manitowoc County is right on Lake Michigan.

Sheila, in your recent posting on the location of Cullaun, you provided a link to the “Clan Ólochlainn” site, which describes the journey of three O'Loghlin brothers who maintained individual journals through their departure from the port of Limerick to their arrival at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA in October 1849. I see on the map provided that to get from Albany, New York to Buffalo, New York, the brothers journeyed by train, and not the nearby Eire Canal which was used mostly for freight during this time period.

https://olochlainn.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... s-of-1849/

Researching the Martin McNamara of Feakle and Judy (Johanna) McMahon of Glandree, as well as Mary McNamara (likely of Feakle) and John O'Brien of Feakle, both who ended up in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, has been a slight distraction from the story of the mysterious John McNamara (≈1884 - 1947), the grandfather of Barbara Jean. However, this Manitowoc research has led me to a discovery of another Glandree family that I was interested to learn more about for some time now.

Researching John O'Brien and Mary McNamara O'Brien of Manitowoc in the newspapers archives was challenging as most men of their era were reported in the news using their initials. Plus, there were two men named John O'Brien, both from Feakle, living in Maple Grove, Manitowoc, Wisconsin:

As previously noted, on the findagrave website, there was a John O'Brien, married to Mary McNamara, who died on 23 March 1885, and was buried at St. Patrick cemetery in Maple Grove. A description of unknown source states "a native of Feitl, Co. Clare, Ire.", which appears to be an attempt at "Feakle".

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110 ... hn-o'brien

The other John O'Brien, died on 2 October 1894, and his headstone states born in Feakle on 29 February 1828. According to the headstone inscription, his wife, Mary O'Brien, was born in Tulla Parish on 3 May 1832.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110 ... hn-o'brien
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110 ... ry-o'brien

The maiden name of Mary O'Brien was Mary Linnane, baptized in Tulla on 10 May 1829, daughter of Peter Linnane and Ellen Hayes of Glandree.

The Linnane's of Glandree have been of interest ever since the discovery of the 1847 trial of four Glandree men who were convicted of robbery and sent to Bermuda (see research on page 29):
Andy M'Namara (Sheedy), Mat Collins, Martin M'Evoy and Thos M'Mahon, were indicted for burglary and robbery of Margaret Linnane, of Glendree, on the 9th of June [1847].

The Prosecutrix, Margaret Linnane deposed that about two hours after daylight, five men (of whom there was one she did not know) broke into her little cabin, and after beating her broke open her large box and then a smaller on inside of it, from which they took two half-crowns. They also took several articles of wearing apparel. Two of them were dressed in women's clothes. Witness here identified the four prisoners. There was a shovel against the door.

Cross-examined—[Margaret Linnane testimony] Did not say one of the parties was Margaret Hogan, but a low stout stump of a woman like her (laughter); never said the other one was dressed in women's clothes was like Margaret Sheehy; her landlord's name is M'Dowel; he [M'Dowel] processed her for 5s 5d, that was due for the rent; one of the prisoners was slightly related to him; she did not pay the landlord for she wanted to take a turn out of the money for her poor orphans; she was ordered by the Court to pay it at the rate of 1s. per week.

John Linnane, son of the preceding witness, a lad of about 15 years of age, but who did not appear to be more than ten corroborated his mother in every particular. He identified Martin M'Evoy, and Andrew M'Namara.

Cross-examined—[John Linnane testimony] Was with the police ever since—would rather be in his own cabin if he were let alone, though we get bread and tea with the police, and only get stirabout and yellow meal at home; his mother was neither for or against the landlord or his friends; he never spoke on the subject of this attack to the police; he never spoke to his mother on the subject; he did not tell her he knew two of them; she did not ask him; she sent him for the police and be then told her he knew two of them himself.

Dr. James Frazer was then examined and stated that he attended the prosecutrix for upwards of three weeks, and during ten days her life was in danger.

. . . [complete article and prisoner listings as well as other research on page 29] . . .
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6965&start=420

The prisoners were all found guilty.

The Limerick Reporter, 16 July 1847
I've researched further the Linnane families of Glandree, four men and four women, who may or may not be related, in an attempt to discover the identities of Margaret Linnane and John Linnane who testified at the 1847 trial. These eight Linnane families had a large presence in the Tulla baptism register (1819 - 1846), but only one Linnane family has descendants remaining in Glandree at the time of the 1901 census: the family of Bridget Linnane and James Moloney.

Bridget Linnane and James Moloney of Glandree were the parents of eight daughters and one son born between 1872 and 1889. Six of the Moloney daughters immigrated to New York in the late 1890's and first decade of 1900 and lived in Brooklyn. While it was quite easy tracing the six sisters forward from Glandree to Brooklyn, with such a common surname it would be very challenging to trace them backwards to Ireland. None of the American descendants, reflected in family trees on the ancestry website, were successful in tracing back to Ireland. The USA records leave very few clues as to where in Ireland the Maloney sisters were from. When the first sister died, unmarried, in Brooklyn in 1922, her obituary was excellent, although her death record completed by a sister incorrectly reduced her age by 10 years. However, none of the Moloney descendants appear to be aware that their Moloney great-grandmothers had even one sister let alone five sisters living in Brooklyn. Thus, they are very unlikely to discover the 1922 obituary which stated that the Maloneys originated in Tulla, County Clare. Tracing forward from Irish records, with the knowledge (evidence) of all nine of the Moloney siblings of Glandree, was exponentially easier, and more successful, than trying to trace such a common surname backwards to Ireland.

The fact that of eight Linnane families who lived in Glandree during the first half of the 19th century, only one appears to have descendants living there in 1901 was interesting. Descendants of one Linnane family went to Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, but where did all the others go?

This question reminded of so many McNamara families of Glandree (Thomas Sheedy McNamara & Margaret Hawkins; Johanna McNamara & Michael McDole; Michael McNamara & Bridget McNamara; John McNamara & Mary Kelly) who also appear to have gone missing from the Irish records after 1850.

One Linnane / McNamara connection was Honora Linnane being a baptism sponsor in 1830 for a child of John McNamara & Mary Kelly. Perhaps discovering where the Linnane families ended up will lead to the missing McNamara families of Glandree?

Why did the Linnanes leave Glandree? For one Linnane family, their testimony against four Glandree prisoners at their 1847 trial was the catalyst for them to get the heck out of Dodge. Referring to Margaret Linnane, the doctor witness testified that "her life was in danger". Who were John Linnane and Margaret Linnane whose testimony got four Glandree men sent on the Medway in 1847 to prison in Bermuda?

Linnane of Glandree:

1.0 Michael Linnane (≈1797 - 1877), of Glandree, married Mary Cunneen (≈1804 - 1874), of Glandree, at Tulla Parish; witnesses Mathew Conly and Mary (Marg?) Linnane. Michael Linnane may have been married previously.

Tulla marriage register (p. 124, left):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 4/mode/1up

"Michael Lennane" appeared twice as an occupier of land in Glandree in the Tithe Applotment book for Tulla Parish dated 11 February 1827.
• (#338) Total 3 acres (1 acre, 1st quality; 1 acre, 2 roods, 2nd quality; 2 roods, 3rd quality), total tithe amount of 2 shillings and 11 pence.
• (#372) Total 11 acres (4 acres, 2nd quality; 4 acres, 3rd quality; 3 acres, 4th quality), total tithe amount of 3 shillings and 6½ pence. A "John Lennane" (#373) appeared next in the book.

"Michael Lennane" appeared in the Griffith Valuation for Glendree townland as a lease holder in Plot 36 (a typo as Plot 26 on GV report shown on askaboutireland); house, office & land; over 28 acres; valuation over £7; lessor, Sir Robert Kane.

In the 1921 Rate Book for the District of Scariff (see transcription at Clare Library), townland of Glendree, Plot 36 was now leased by James Molony, the son-in-law of Michael Linnane.

Mary Linnane, of Glandree, married, 70 years old, farmer's wife, died on 30 July 1874; informant Bridget Molony (her daughter) per Tulla civil registration.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 245737.pdf

Michael Linnane, of Glandree, widower, 80 years old, farmer, died on 6 January 1877; informant James Molony of Glandree (his son-in-law) per Tulla civil registration.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 212886.pdf

............ 1.1 Bridget Linnane (1848 - 1889), "Bid Linnane" was baptized in June 1848, residence Glandree; sponsor Mary Guerin. Bridget Linnane, of Glandree, daughter of farmer Michael Linnane, married James Molony (≈1842 - after 1911), of Kilenena, son of farmer John Molony, on 20 February 1871 at Drumcharley Catholic chapel, by Denis Sheehan, CC; witnesses Patrick Molony and Anne Brody.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 161331.pdf

Bridget Molony, of Glandree, married, age 40, died on 6 March 1889; informant husband James Molony (Galway registration):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 753591.pdf

James Maloney <Glendree, Glendree, House 3; House 42> was a 69 year old widower in the 1911 census, living with three of his children as well as John Loughery, his 11 year old nephew, who was born in the USA. Unlike many a "nephew" or "niece" reported in the Irish census, John Loughery was not a grandchild, but was indeed James Moloney's nephew, the son of Patrick Loughery and Ellen Moloney, born in Brooklyn. John Loughery, a first cousin of the six Moloney sisters of Brooklyn, was noted on the pension/medal applications (associated with the Irish War of Independence) of James Burke and John Moroney as having been one of their Irish Republican Army commanding officers of F (Glandree) Company of 5 Battalion of East Clare Brigade:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ns_a_d.pdf

James Moloney and Bridget Linnane of Glandree were the parents of eight daughters and one son:

.......................... 1.1.1 Mary Molony (1872 - 1959) was baptized on 10 January 1872, residence Upper Glandree; sponsors John Molony and Ellen Molony. Mary Moloney, age 20, last residence Glandree, arrived in New York on the SS Teutonic on 25 April 1894. She was traveling with a Mary Foley, age 18, last residence Glandree, on her way to New York City (Mary was daughter of Patrick Foley and Anne Hogan, of Glandree, born in March 1876).

Mary Molony was listed as the USA contact, living at 465 East 18th Street, when her sister Elizabeth had booked her passage to New York in 1908, a trip which was cancelled as Elizabeth's name was crossed out. Mary Maloney married Stephen Kilkenny on 10 June 1919 in Brooklyn.
MARRIAGE LICENSES.
Stephen Kilkenny, age 35, of 1760 Nostrand ave
Mary Maloney, age 37, of 131 Buckingham rd
Times Union, Brooklyn, New York, 11 June 1919
Stephen Kilkenny, husband of Mary Maloney Kilkenny, died yesterday at his home, 5807 Fifth avenue. He was born in Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland, and had been a resident of Brooklyn for thirty-eight years. He is also survived by a brother, John Kilkenny. The funeral will be held at 9:30 A.M. Thursday with a requiem mass at the R.C. Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Interment will be at Holy Cross Cemetery, under direction of Joseph J. Galligan.
The Standard Union, Brooklyn, New York, 17 April 1928
In 1932, the widow Mary Maloney Kilkenny completed her naturalization petition to become a U.S. citizen. Her immigration details stated that she arrived in New York on the Teutonic on 1 May 1895, only slightly off by one year. Did she take this initiative in order to acquire a passport and make a return visit to Ireland? There is not a passport application or passenger listing to support this theory. More likely, Mrs. Mary Kilkenny wanted to vote in American elections. A Mrs. Mary Kilkenny was very active in the Flatbush Democratic Club in Brooklyn and her name appears in Brooklyn news throughout the 1930's:
DEMOCRATIC WOMEN:
The women of the Flatbush Democratic Club will have their monthly card party on Tuesday at the club, 74 Linden Boulevard. The house committee will act as hostesses. The group will have a "Gay Ninety Party" on March 21 when the members and their guests will appear in costume. Old fashioned dances will be one of the evening's features. The house committee includes Mrs. Mary Kilkenny, Mrs. Mary Gallagher, . . . [German ladies]. . .
The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn, New York, 3 March 1935
A Mary Kilkenny, age 80, died in Brooklyn on 14 April 1959.

.......................... 1.1.2 Bridget "Della" "Delia" Molony was baptized on 25 June 1873, residence Glandree; sponsors John Molony and Honoria Mealy.

According to the 1910 census, living in Brooklyn were Ignatius McInerney (1870 - 1942) and Della McInerney, who had been married for 10 years, along with five children. Ignatius McInerney, according to his 1942 death record, was the son of John McInerney and Anne Hanrahan. Consistent with his death record, he was born on 17 April 1870, parents residing at Derrykeadgran townland in Tulla (baptized in Tulla Parish on 18 April 1870):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 225633.pdf

1920 Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJRB-4SN
McINERNEY — IGNATIUS, September 20 [1942], beloved husband of Della (nee Maloney), father of Anna, Eloise, James, Ignatius and Joseph. Funeral September 23, 9:30 a.m., from residence, 125 E. 32d Street. Requiem mass Holy Cross Church. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery.
The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn, New York, 21 September 1942
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WTZ-MPG

Note to Ignatius McInerney descendants: Della Maloney McInerney was still living in September 1942. You are not descended from the Delia McCarthy McInerney who died a widow in Brooklyn on 10 February 1941; her husband was Michael J. McInerney per Delia's death certificate.

......................................... 1.1.2.1 George "John" McInerney (age 18 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.2.2 Anna McInerney (age 16 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.2.3 Eloise McInerney (age 15 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.2.4 James McInerney (age 12 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.2.5 Ignatius McInerney (age 10 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.2.6 Joseph McInerney (age 6 in 1920)

.......................... 1.1.3 Ellen Molony was baptized on 27 March 1875, residence Glandree; sponsor Maria Mealy. Ellen Molony was not living with her family in the 1901 Irish census, or elsewhere in County Clare as a servant. She likely immigrated to the USA at a young age, however, the passenger listings in the early 1890's often provide little detail and Ellen Moloney is a common name. Similarly, there are many Ellen Moloneys in the UK Incoming Passenger lists returning from New York in the early 1900's.

Ellen Moloney, daughter of James Moloney, farmer of Glendree, married Martin Loughnane, farmer, of Bauroe, son of John Loughnane, <Bauroe, Ayle, House 6; House 10> at the Catholic chapel at Drumcharley on 2 March 1908; witnesses Willie Loughnane and Norah Moloney.

......................................... 1.1.3.1 John Loughnane (age 3 in 1911) <Baurroe, Ayle, x; House 10>
......................................... 1.1.3.2 James Loughnane (age 2 in 1911) <Baurroe, Ayle, x; House 10>

.......................... 1.1.4 Michael Molony was baptized on 7 April 1877, residence Glandree; sponsors Michael Molony and Margaret Dinan. <Glendree, Glendree, House 3; House 42>

.......................... 1.1.5 Catherine Molony was baptized on 5 November 1879, residence Glandree; sponsor Ellen Moloney. When sister Margaret arrived in New York in May 1901, Catherine was reported as her U.S. contact living at 5 East 125th Street, New York. According to the 1910 census, Catherine Kelly immigrated to USA in 1898 and had been married (≈1907) to Thomas Kelly for three years. When her sister Annie Moloney returned to New York in 1911, her American contact was sister Catherine Kelly of 522 Coney Island avenue, Brooklyn.

1920 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJ5B-BLK

......................................... 1.1.5.1 Michael Kelly (age 11 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.5.2 Mary Kelly (age 10 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.5.3 Margaret Kelly (age 8 in 1920)
......................................... 1.1.5.4 Walter J. Kelly (age 6 in 1920). Sergeant Walter J. Kelly fought with the 116th Infantry, 29th Division, New York during World War II in Europe and was killed on 7 October 1944. Recipient of the Purple Heart. Buried at Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery in Liège, Belgium.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/562 ... er-j-kelly

......................................... 1.1.5.5 James Kelly (age 5 in 1920)

.......................... 1.1.6 Margaret Molony (1883 - 1922) was born on 19 January 1883, residence Glandree, per Tulla civil record. <Glendree, Glendree, House 3; x> Margaret Moloney, age 18, of Tulla, arrived in New York on the SS Germanic on 3 May 1901; going to sister Catherine at 5 East 125th Street, New York. When her sister Elizabeth arrived in New York in 1909, Margaret was reported as her U.S. contact living at 465 East 18th Street, Brooklyn, New York.
Margaret Moloney died Sunday at her home, 287 Clarkson avenue. She was born in Tulla, County Clare, Ireland, and is survived by her father, James, and five sisters, Mrs. Ignatius McInerney, Mrs. Thomas Kelly, Mrs. John McCarthy, Mrs. Stephen Kilkenny and Anna Moloney. The funeral . . . R.C. Church of the Holy Innocents, Beverly road and East Seventeenths street. Interment will be at Holy Cross Cemetery.
The Standard Union, Brooklyn, New York, 24 October 1922
The death certificate for Margaret Maloney was completed by her sister, Delia McInerney. Parents, reported as "James and Bridget Maloney", were correct. Age of only "30 years" with birth date of 14 September 1892 was generously incorrect by nearly 10 years.

.......................... 1.1.7 Anne Molony was born on 14 November 1884, residence Glandre, per Tulla civil record. <Glendree, Glendree, House 3; House 42> Anne Molony was reported in the 1911 Ireland census while on a visit from the United States. Annie Moloney, "of Tulla", had first gone to America at the age of 17 arriving in New York on the SS Arabic on 27 September 1903; she was going to her sister, Mary Moloney, living in Brooklyn. As a "Non Immigrant Alien", Annie Moloney; age 25; last residence, New York: father James Moloney of "Gleandry, Tulla"; returned to New York on the SS Mauretania on 28 April 1911; going to her sister Catherine Kelly of 522 Coney Island avenue, Brooklyn. She was traveling with "John Meany", age 21, of Feakle, father "John Meany"; who must be the John Meaney, age 20, son of John Meaney, living in Glendree, House 17, in the 1911 Irish census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ee/370568/

.......................... 1.1.8 Honora "Nora" Molony was born on 24 March 1887, residence Glandree, per Tulla civil record. <Glendree, Glendree, House 3; House 42> Unknown whereabouts after 1911. Nora Molony was not included as one of the "five sisters" in the 1922 obituary for her sister Margaret who died in Brooklyn. But neither were her sister Ellen, or brother Michael, who both remained behind in Ireland and were still living in 1922. Nora Molony likely can be found in later Irish civil records.

.......................... 1.1.9 Elizabeth Molony was born on 25 April 1889, residence Glandree, per Tulla civil registration. <Glendree, Glendree, House 3; x> Lizzie Molony, age 18, was booked on the SS Teutonic, which arrived in New York on 21 October 1908, but appears to have cancelled since her name was crossed out (Irish contact was father James Molony of Glandree, Clare; going to sister Mary Molony at 465 East 18th Street, Brooklyn). The following year, Lizzie Molony, age 20, arrived in New York on the SS Oceanic on 6 May 1909; Irish contact was father James Molony of "Glandree, Tulla, Co. Clare"; going to sister Margaret Molony at 465 East 18th Street, Brooklyn, New York.
MARRIAGE LICENSES:
John McCarthy, 28, of 2602 Tilden avenue, and Elizabeth Maloney, 24, of 287 Clarkson avenue.
The Chat, Brooklyn, New York, 31 May 1913
1930 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4VP-KZH

......................................... 1.1.9.1 John McCarthy (age 16 in 1930)
......................................... 1.1.9.2 Margaret McCarthy (age 14 in 1930)
......................................... 1.1.9.3 Elizabeth McCarthy (age 13 in 1930)
......................................... 1.1.9.4 Joseph McCarthy (age 10 in 1930)
......................................... 1.1.9.5 Mary McCarthy (age 7 in 1930)

2.0 Patrick Linnane (≈1790? - prior to 1855?) and Bridget Rodgers (≈1790? - ?) The location of their marriage is unknown, but regardless if married in Tulla, Feakle, or Caher Feakle parishes, there would be no marriage record for this time period.

A "Patt Lennane" (#311) appeared as an occupier of land in Glandree townland in the Tithe Applotment Book for Tulla Parish dated 11 February 1827. Total 25 acres (0 acres, 1st quality; 3 acres, 2nd; 11 acres, 3rd; 11 acres, 4th quality), total tithe amount of 14 shillings and 10 pence.

The tithe amount of over 14 shillings in 1827 was greater than the other Linnane lease holders of Glandree included in the Tithe Applotment book. "Patrick Linnane", a farmer from Glandree, was the only Linnane to appear in the "Registry of Freeholds" of 1840 , listing any man renting or owning land worth at least ten pounds. In 1840, no McNamara's living in Glandree appear to have had a £10 land valuation since none made the registry.
The Parliamentary Elections (Ireland) Act 1829 (10 Geo. IV, c. 8 ), which accompanied emancipation and received its royal assent on the same day, was the only major 'security' eventually required for it. This Act disenfranchised the minor landholders of Ireland, the so-called Forty Shilling Freeholders, and raised fivefold the economic qualifications for voting. Starting in the initial relief granting the vote by the Irish Parliament in 1793, any man renting or owning land worth at least forty shillings (two pounds sterling) had been permitted to vote. Under the Act, this was raised to ten pounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Cat ... f_Act_1829
Registry of Freeholds. County of Clare, Division of Tulla.
A LIST of Notices delivered to the Clerk of the Peace for said County, from persons claiming to Register Freeholds at Killaloe Sessions, on Monday, June 22d, 1840, at 11 o'Clock in the Forenoon

1 James Anglim, farmer, Kealderra, house and land at Kealderra, Tulla barony, freeholder—ten pound re-registry.

284 Patrick Linnane, same, Glandree, same at Glandree, same, same—ten pound re-registry

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, 8 June 1840
There was no Patrick Linnane in Glandree townland at Griffiths Valuation, perhaps indicating he had died prior to 1855? A "Biddy Linnane", age 80, farmer's widow, died at the Tulla workhouse on 5 February 1874.

Patrick Linnane and Bridget Rodgers were the parents of five children baptized in the Tulla baptism register (1819 - 1846).

............ 2.? Children born prior to 1819 start of Tulla baptism register?

............ 2.1 James Linnane was baptized on 17 March 1819, residence Glandree, sponsors Michael Walsh and Margaret Butler.
............ 2.2 Michael Linnane was baptized on 2 July 1821, residence Glandree, sponsors Robert Powel and Jane McCormick.

............ 2.? Missing Tulla baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825).

............ 2.3 John Linnane, John (?) Lenane was baptized on 6 April 1826, residence Glandree, sponsors John Cunneen and Mary Rogers.
............ 2.4 Mary Linnane, Mary Lenane was baptized on 18 September 1828, residence Glandree, sponsor Anne McMahon.
............ 2.5 Ellen Linnane was baptized on 17 March 1834, residence Glandree, sponsor Michael Walsh.

3.0 John Linnane (≈1790? 1800? - prior to 1855?) and Catherine Lahiff (≈1800 ish? - unknown?) appear to have married prior to the 1819 start of the Tulla parish marriage register.

"John Lennane" appeared three times as an occupier of land in Glandree in the Tithe Applotment book for Tulla Parish dated 11 February 1827.
• (#356) Total 5 acres (3 acres, 1st quality; 1 acre, 2nd; 1 acre, 3rd), total tithe amount of 5 shillings and 4 pence. This John Lennane appeared right after Peter Lennane (#355) with identical property details.
• (#373) Total 5 acres (2 acres, 2nd quality; 2 acres, 3rd; 1 acre, 4th quality), total tithe amount of 3 shillings, 6½ pence. He appeared right after Michael Lennane (#372).
• (#377) Total 3 acres (1 acre, 1st quality; 1 acre, 2nd; 1 acre, 3rd), total tithe amount of 2 shillings. He appeared between Patrick Noonan and Andrew McNamara.

There was no John Linnane in Glandree townland at Griffiths Valuation, perhaps indicating he had died prior to 1855 or perhaps the Linnane family had immigrated?

John Linnane and Catherine Lahiff were the parents of six children baptized in the Tulla baptism register of 1819 - 1846. Given the missing three year period from March 1822 through August 1825, they were likely the parents of other children not reported in the register.

............ 3.? Children born prior to 1819 start of Tulla baptism register?

............ 3.1 Thomas Linnane, Thomas Lenane was baptized on 10 December 1821, residence Glandree, sponsors Thomas Lenane and Honour Glynn.

............ 3.? Missing Tulla baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825).

............ 3.2 Michael Linnane was baptized on 3 March 1826, residence Glandree, sponsors Henry Lenane and Elen Hogan. Note on sponsor: a Henry Linnane and Mary Murphy of Glandree had a daughter, Bridget Linnane, baptized on 30 October 1836 in the Tulla baptism register.

............ 3.3 John Linnane was baptized on 22 June 1828, residence Glandree, sponsors James Bowles and Mary Morony.
............ 3.4 Henry Linnane was baptized on 7 September 1830, residence Glandree, sponsors Michael O'Dea and Hana Gleeson.
............ 3.5 Daniel Linnane was baptized on 24 June 1833, residence Glandree, sponsors John Clune and Elen (?).
............ 3.6 Margaret Linnane was baptized on 16 June 1839, residence Glandree, sponsors Pat Morony, and Cate Linane.

The 1839 baptism record of Margaret Linnane is the last record for this family in the Tulla parish records and they do not appear in later post-1864 civil records.

4.0 Peter Linnane (≈? - prior to 1855?) and Ellen Hayes do not appear in the Tulla parish marriage register which begins in 1819. They likely married at either Feakle or Caher Feakle Parish.

"Peter Lennane" (#355) appeared as an occupier of land in Glandree in the Tithe Applotment book for Tulla Parish dated 11 February 1827. Total 5 acres (3 acres, 1st quality; 1 acre, 2nd; 1 acre, 3rd), total tithe amount was 5 shillings and 4 pence. John Lennane (#356) appears right after Peter Lennane with identical property details.

There was no Peter Linnane in Glandree townland at Griffiths Valuation, perhaps indicating he had died prior to 1855 or perhaps the Linnane family had immigrated?

Peter Linnane and Ellen Hayes were the parents of six children baptized in the Tulla baptism register (1819 - 1846):

............ 4.? Missing Tulla baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)

............ 4.1 Mary Linnane (1827 - prior to 1829) was baptized in December 1827, residence Glandree, sponsors John McAroy(?) and Bridget Morony. Appears to have died prior to sister Mary born in 1829.

............ 4.2 Mary Linnane (1829 - 1887) was baptized on 10 May 1829, residence Glandree, sponsors Michael Morony and Bridget Canny. Immigrated to USA, settling in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Married John O'Brien (≈1828 - 1894) of Feakle Parish, not sure where. The headstone for Mary O'Brien states that she was "Born in Parish of Tulla, Co. Clare, IRE, May 3, 1832".

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110 ... ry-o'brien

.......................... 4.2.1 Thomas O'Brien (age 20 in 1880 census). In the 1860 census for Maple Grove, Thomas O'Brien was reported as 6 months of age and born in Ireland (actually a ditto from parents listed above). An Ireland birth is unlikely and Thomas was reported as born in Wisconsin in subsequent census reports.
.......................... 4.2.2 Edward O'Brien (age 17 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.2.3 Martha O'Brien (age 15 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.2.4 Mary O'Brien (age 12 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.2.5 William O'Brien (age 9 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.2.6 Dennis O'Brien (age 7 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.2.7 Ellen O'Brien (age 4 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.2.8 Martin O'Brien (age 2 in 1880 census). Martin O'Brien was born on 25 June 1877 in Maple Grove, Manitowoc County, father John O'Brien, mother "Mary Leonona" (Wisconsin Births & Christenings, 1826 - 1926). https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XR13-QBD

............ 4.3 Patrick Linnane was baptized on 9 March 1831, residence Glandree, sponsors Michael Linane and Hana Gleeson.

............ 4.4 Edmond Linnane (1832 - 1897) was baptized on 2 May 1832, residence Glandree, sponsors Michael Molony and Mary Mac. Immigrated to USA, settling in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Per the 1890 veteran census, Edward Linnane served with the 1st Maryland Rifles between 25 January 1853 and 25 January 1858. "Married in the Catholic Church in Maple Grove, Jan. 11, 1870, by Rev. Joseph Fessler, of Manitowoc, Mr. Edward Linnane, and Miss Ellen Guheen, all of Maple Grove" (The Manitowoc Pilot, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, 22 January 1920; "50 Years Ago" news). Died on 12 October 1897; had fought in the Indian Wars in Texas and New Mexico, according to headstone.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/921 ... rd-linnane
Mrs. Ed Linnane [wife of Edward born ≈1881] and Mrs. Ellen [Guheen] Linnane spent Sunday in Manitowoc, where the latter acted as sponsor for her great granddaughter, Laverne Ellen Linnane.
Green Bay Press-Gazette, Green Bay, Wisconsin, 28 May 1922
.......................... 4.4.1 Peter Linnane (age 6 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.4.2 Joseph Linnane (age 3 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.4.3 Patrick Linnane (age 1 in 1880 census)
.......................... 4.4.4 Edward Linnane (age 19 in 1900 census), granddaughter Laverne Ellen born in 1922.
.......................... 4.4.5 Mamie Linnane (age 16 in 1900 census)
.......................... 4.4.6 Michael Linnane (age 14 in 1900 census)
.......................... 4.4.7 Daniel Linnane (age 7 in 1900 census)
.......................... 4.4.8 - 4.4.13 Obituary for Ellen Linnane stated mother of 13 children.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/92 ... en-linnane

............ 4.5 Ellen Linnane was baptized on 3 June 1834, residence Glandree, sponsor Catherine Meer.

............ 4.6 ???? Linnane, first name difficult to read, surname transcribed as "Lannane", was baptized on 6 October 1836, residence Glandree, sponsors Narry Lannane (Nancy? = Anne?). This child would have been "not more than ten" years old at the time of the trial of Andy M'Namara (Sheedy), Mat Collins, Martin M'Evoy and Thos M'Mahon, who were indicted for burglary and robbery of Margaret Linnane, of Glandree, on the 9th of June 1847.

5.0 Anne Linnane (≈1800 - ?), of Glandree, married James Corbett, of Lismuighan, on 13 February 1820, in Tulla Parish; witnesses Patrick Corbett of Lissmuighan, Patrick Linnane of Glandree, and Michael Linnane of Glandree. Lismuinga townlands (East and West) are located in Corrofin, so James Corbett appears to have "married in" with their daughter born in Glandree.

............ 5.1 Margaret Corbett was baptized on 3 February 1821, residence Glandree, sponsors John Corbett, Margaret Linnane.

Only one child? Possibly, James Corbett died soon after marriage, leaving Anne Linnane Corbett a widow with a young daughter. Anne Linnane, of Glandree, married Laurence McMahon, of Doora, on 5 February 1822 in Tulla Parish; no marriage witnesses were reported.

6.0 Honor Linnane (≈1800 - ?), of Glandree, married Michael O'Dea, of Glandree, on 6 March 1821, in Tulla Parish; witnesses Patrick Linnane, John Linnane, and Margaret Linnane, all of Glandree.

A Honora Linane and Martin O'Dea were the sponsors at the baptism on 11 July 1830 of John McNamara, son of John McNamara and Mary Kelly of Glandree.

............ 6.? Missing Tulla baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)

............ 6.1 James O'Dea was baptized on 5 July 1829, residence Glandree, sponsors Patt O'Dea, Anne O'Dea.
............ 6.2 Anne O'Dea was baptized on 9 July 1831, residence Glandree, sponsor Anne Gleeson.
............ 6.3 Norry O'Dea was baptized on 26 February 1833, residence Glandree, sponsor Hannah Gleeson.
............ 6.4 John O'Dea was baptized on 25 June 1834, residence Glandree, sponsors Martin O'Dea, Cath Walsh.

7.0 Kate Linnane (≈1800? - ?) and Thomas Walsh were the parents of five children baptized in the Tulla parish records. Possibly married in Tulla Parish prior to 1819.

............ 7.? Missing Tulla baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)

............ 7.1 Michael Walsh was baptized on 14 May 1826, residence Glandree, sponsors Michael Walsh, Briget Walsh.
............ 7.2 Thomas Walsh was baptized on 28 July 1828, residence Glandree, sponsor Catherine Ryan.
............ 7.3 John Walsh was baptized on 30 November 1831, residence Glandree, sponsor Biddy Walsh.
............ 7.4 Mary Walsh was baptized on 2 December 1833, residence Glandree, sponsor Mary Linnane.
............ 7.5 Bridget Walsh was baptized on 16 October 1835, residence Glandree, sponsor Anne Walsh.

8.A Margaret Linnane (≈1800 ? - ?), of Glandree, married James Toohey, of Feakle, on 30 May 1824, at Tulla Parish; no marriage witnesses.

No baptism records of any children in Tulla Parish; if couple resided in Feakle Parish, where James Tuohy was from, the baptism records do not start until 1860.

8.B Margaret Linnane (≈1800 ? - ?), of Glandree, married James Halloran, of Feakle, on 11 February 1834, at Tulla Parish; witnesses John Linnane of Glandree, and Malachy(?) Halloran of Feakle.

No baptism records of any children in Tulla Parish; if couple resided in Feakle Parish, where James Halloran was from, the baptism records do not start until 1860.

Who was the John Linnane who testified at the 1847 trial? My best theory: The newspaper description of "a lad of about 15 years of age, but who did not appear to be more than ten" indicates that the newspaper reporter was not really clear about his age. Perhaps John Linnane looked to be ten years old because he was in fact born in October 1836? The youngest son of Peter Linnane and Ellen Hayes (4.6 above) of Glandree? The first name on the baptism record is a smudge, but I can perhaps make out a "J" (it is similar to the name above it, a legible "John"). Perhaps John's testimony may have even led to his name being smudged out on the Tulla baptism record? A hitherto unknown Irish tradition?

Who was Margaret Linnane who also testified at the 1847 trial? She was described at the mother of John Linnane, but I reckon the newspaper reporter may have assumed this mother & son relationship? Margaret Linnane chose not to pay rent in order for "her poor orphans". Might she not more likely have been John Linnane's grandmother? Other evidence might point in this direction:

• The 1821 marriage of Honor Linnane and Michael O'Dea, both of Glandree, has a Margaret Linnane as one of the witnesses. It was not unusual for a parent to appear as a marriage witness during this time period. Unfortunately, the Tulla baptism register has missing records between March 1822 through August 1825, so difficult to know if they had a first born daughter named Margaret.
• Anne Linnane of Glandree married James Corbett in 1820, and their first born daughter in 1821 was named Margaret. Named after her grandmother?
• Siblings of the child born in 1836 to Peter Linnane and Ellen Hayes, smudged but who I reckon to be John Linnane, moved to Manitowoc County in Wisconsin Territory. Why did they immigrate to such a wild and distant place (full of mosquitoes in summer)?

To be continued,

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 am

Hi Jimbo

Well you certainly have turned every stone in the search for Margaret Linnane and her son John. Good work finding those Linnane siblings in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, who may, possibly, be siblings of John.
You may like to add (as Linnane No. 9) Catherine Linnane, who was married to Patt Duggan/Doogan, Glandree. Three baptism records for that couple are:
21 May 1835: John Duggan of Patt Duggan and Catherine Linnane, Glandree; sponsor: Bridget Fogarty.
15 Feb. 1837: Cath of Patt Doogan and Cath Linnane, Glandree; sponsors: Miss and William Fogarty.
15 March 1839: Mary of Patt Doogan and Kate Linnane, Glandree; sponsors: William and Bid Fogarty.
I don’t see the marriage of Patt Doogan and Catherine Linnane in the Tulla marriages.

Anyway it seems that Patt and Catherine Duggan are among the many couples in Glandree, who did not make it into Griffth’s Valuation for one reason or another. Servants, or young couples, who were living with a leaseholder at the time of the valuation, will not be listed in Griffith’s, but, since there is only one family of Linnane descendants in Glendree in 1901, I think emigration or the workhouse are the most likely reasons for their absence.

It is such a pity that the deaths 1864 – 1870 are not available. I look at Claire Santry’s news almost every day for one reason only: I’m waiting for her announcement of the addition of those records. As she said herself when she was announcing the release of the 1971 records, most people would rather get the images for the 1864 – 1870 deaths.

Thanks Jimbo for your work on the Linnanes of Glendree, Manitowoc WI, and New York.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:20 am

Hi Sheila,

Thank you, not sure how I missed the Catherine Linnane who was married to Patrick Duggan of Glandree. As you suggested, I added them as family #9 below.

A Mary Doogan, 34 years old, single, servant, died on 17 April 1872 at the Tulla workhouse (per Tulla civil registration). The age would be fairly accurate for the Mary Doogan baptized on 15 March 1839 with parents of Patrick Doogan and Catherine Linnane of Glandree. But if the age at death was only a rough estimate by the workhouse informant, there was a Mary Doogan born in 1834 to John Doogan and Mary Flin of Tulla Parish. Plus, wasn't the Tulla workhouse for the civil Tulla Union and would have taken individuals from several Catholic parishes besides Tulla Parish? So it's difficult to say who was the Mary Doogan who died in 1872.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 274051.pdf

My theory for Margaret Linnane, the "prosecutrix" at the 1847 trial, was that she was the grandmother of the witness, identified in the newspaper as John Linnane. A remote possibility, that the court only identified this witness as "John" and the newspaper reporter made the assumption that, not only was he a son of Margaret Linnane, but that his surname was "Linnane". Sheila, there is a remote possibility, that the witness named "John" might be your newly identified "John Doogan", born in May 1835, or else "John O'Dea", born in June 1834, the son of Michael O'Dea and Honora Linnane. As both would be age appropriate and possible grandsons of a Margaret Linnane. A very remote possibility, and I still reckon the witness was the child born in 1836 to Peter Linnane and Ellen Hayes.

To be thorough, there was another Linnane family, not from Glandree, but living in Tulla townland in Tulla Parish, of John Linnane and Margaret Purdon. Margaret Purdon Linnane would have been about 26 years old at the time of the 1847 trial and the family was identified in records as poor. However, she would have been too young to have any child who could testify at the 1847 trial. It was not stated at the 1847 trial, but it appears to me that "Margaret Linnane" was an elderly widow.

Researching the John Linnane family of Tulla highlighted two challenges for tracing ancestors back to Ireland:

1) County of origin. New Jersey marriage records provide names of parents for bride and groom. "Mary Lennane" was transcribed as "Mary Senan", as old handwriting of an "L" does look like an "S". Their descendants have sorted this out, and from this marriage record are aware that Mary's parents were "John and Margaret Linnane". However, tracing back to Ireland has hit a brick wall since many descendants believe that Mary Linnane was born in County Cork, without any evidence.

2) Use of middle names, example of "Michael John". It would be difficult to find a baptism record for a "John" when he was baptized as a "Michael". John Linnane and Margaret Purdon had a son named "Michael John" in 1844 who appears to have died prior to their son "Michael" born in 1859. This "Michael" born in 1859 would later go by "John". This changing use of names might be fairly common in Ireland especially if a "Michael John" had a son named "Michael John".

9.0 Catherine Linnane (unknown) was married to Patrick Doogan (unknown), of Glandree:

............ 9.1 John Duggan baptized 21 May 1835 of Patt Duggan and Catherine Linnane, Glandree; sponsor: Bridget Fogarty.
............ 9.2 Cath Doogan baptized 15 February 1837 of Patt Doogan and Cath Linnane, Glandree; sponsors: Miss and William Fogarty.
............ 9.3 Mary Doogan baptized 15 March 1839 of Patt Doogan and Kate Linnane, Glandree; sponsors: William and Bid Fogarty.

John Linnane Family of Tulla.

10.0 John Linnane (≈1812 ? - 1868 ?) married Margaret Purdon (1821 - after 1901) in Tulla Parish, no residence reported, on 24 October 1843; witnesses John Purdon and John Murphy.

Margaret Purdon was likely the daughter of William Purdon and Mary Murphy of Liscullane, baptized on 16 August 1821; sponsors Mathew King and Catherine Toohey (Tulla Parish baptism register).

John and Margaret Linnane were noted to be "poor" in one child's baptism record and do not appear as lease holders in Griffith Valuation.

A John Linnane died in 1868 at the age of 56 years old; Tulla civil death record not yet available. This John Linnane would have been too young to have been the John Linnane of Glandree married to Catherie Lahiff who had a child in 1821 (family #3 in prior posting).

Margaret Linane, "age 75", a widow, was living with her son, John Linane, in 1901 census. <Tulla, Tulla, House 31; x> Unknown death record for Margaret Purdon Linnane.

............ 10.1 Michael Jn. Linnane (1844 - prior to 1859?) was baptized on 12 February 1844, sponsors John Callaghan (possibly Jane) and J. Purdon (writing unclear, "Purdon" transcribed as residence "Roslara"). Michael John appears to have died prior to 1859 birth of brother Michael (who would also went by John).

............ 10.2 Bridget Linnane (1846 - prior to 1864) was baptized on 12 July 1846, residence Garrura; sponsor Mary Hourigan. She appears to have died prior to 1864 birth of sister Bridget.

............ 10.3 Mary Linnane (1853 - 1919), Mary Lenane was baptized on 1 August 1853, residence Tulla; sponsor Mary Dolahunty; "poor" was noted on baptism record.

A "Mary Lenane", age 20, arrived in New York on the City of Paris on 24 March 1873.

"Mary Senan", daughter of "John and Margaret Senan", married Cyrenus "Ryan" Bodine (1851 - 1936), son of William Bodine and Elizabeth Stryker (per obit), on 11 July 1875, at Mattawa, Monmouth County, New Jersey. Old handwriting of an "L" looks like a modern "S".

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZLM-7WL

Between 1880 and 1900, the Bodine family lived at 482 Sairs Avenue, in Long Branch, New Jersey. They were the parents of three children. Mary Linnane Bodine's brother, "Michael Leane", age 20, was living with the Bodine family in 1880. An Irish born niece, Margaret Linnane, arrived in New York and put her aunt at 482 Sairs Avenue as her American contact (see passenger details further below).

1880 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MN8K-G1S

Mary Linnane Bodine and Cyrinus Bodine died in 1919 and 1936, respectively, and are buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery in Keyport, Monmouth County, New Jersey.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178 ... ary-bodine

.......................... 10.3.1 John Bodine (age 4 in 1880)
.......................... 10.3.2 Margaret Bodine (age 2 in 1880)
.......................... 10.3.3 Elizabeth Bodine (age 16 in 1900)

............ 10.4 Michael "John" Linnane (1859 - 1933), Michael Lenane was baptized on 2 May 1859, residence Tulla; sponsor Honora Cunningham. Likely a "Michael John", similar to brother born in 1844, and he would later go by the name "John".

In the 1880 census, a "Michael Leane", age 20, was living in Monmouth County, New Jersey, and reported as a brother-in-law, in the household of Cyreneus and Mary Bodine. I reckon "Michael" must have returned to Ireland, and as "John" got married in 1897.

In the Tulla Petty Sessions of 27 October 1887, John Lennane of Tulla and Patrick Sweeney of Tulla were fined two shillings, plus one shilling cost, for "being found on the licensed premises of Stephen Murphy of Tulla on Sunday, 23rd of October 1887 at about 2 o'clock p.m.. . . "

John Linnane, laborer, of Tulla, son of John Linnane (deceased) married Ellen Hogan, servant, of Tulla, daughter of Denis Hogan, on 3 May 1897 at the Catholic church in Tulla; witnesses Michael Halloran and Lizzie McDermott. <Tulla, Tulla, House 31; House 13> Ellen Hogan was 20 years younger than her husband, she was born on 25 March 1879 to herdsman Denis Hogan and Catherine McNamara of Gurteen (Tulla civil registration).

"John Linane" was age 40 in the 1901 census; and age 52 in 1911; very consistent with the birth of "Michael" in 1859.

"John Linnane" died in 1933 at the age of 74 years; again consistent with a birth of "Michael" in 1859.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 310841.pdf

John Linnane (1859 - 1933) and Ellen Hogan (1879 - 1954) of Tulla were the parents of seven children:

.......................... 10.4.1 Mary Linanne was born on 29 July 1897, residence Tulla, father's occupation was labourer, per Tulla civil registration. Mary (age 3) was double counted in the 1901 census as living with parents (as Linane) <Tulla, Tulla, House 31; x> and Hogan grandparents (as Linnane). <Gurteen, Dangan, House 9; x> In 1911, Mary Linnane (age 13, niece) was living with her uncle, Michael Hogan & his young family <Gurteen, Dangan, House 9; Carrowgar, Quin, House 4>

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... a/1087981/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1086828/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ar/370103/

.......................... 10.4.2 Margaret Linnane was born on 20 September 1898, residence Tulla, father's occupation was labourer, per Tulla civil registration.

Margaret Linnane, age 17, of Tulla, left Queenstown on the SS Franconia, arriving in New York on 30 October 1914; father: John Linnane of Tulla; going to Aunt Mary [Linnane] Bodine, 482 Sairs Avenue, Long Br. [Long Branch], New Jersey. <Tulla, Tulla, House 31; House 13>

A Margaret Linnane, age 17, was a live-in servant in the 1915 New York state census in the Rosenheim household.

.......................... 10.4.3 Michael Linnane (1901 - 1901), age 3 months, child of a laborer, died in Tulla on 1 September 1901; informant was grandmother, Margaret Linnane.

.......................... 10.4.4 Ellen Linnane was born on 27 July 1902, residence Tulla, per Tulla civil registration. <Tulla, Tulla, x; House 13>

Ellen Linnane, age 22, of Tulla, left Queenstown on the SS Aurania, arriving in New York on 21 October 1924; father: John Linnane of Cooperpark, Tulla; going to sister Miss Margaret Linnane, 176 East 96th Street, New York.

On 10 May 1934, Ellen Linnane declared her intention to become a U.S. citizen in the Southern District Court of New York, this included a "Certificate of Arrival" and her photograph. She reported on the "Petition for Naturalization" application, signed 19 October 1936, that she was born in Tulla on 28 August 1902, single, a maid, living at 731 2nd Avenue in New York City; her immigration details, stating arrival on 21 October 1924, were identical to the passenger listing.

.......................... 10.4.5 John Linnane was born on 13 October 1905, residence Tulla, per Tulla civil registration. <Tulla, Tulla, x; House 13>
.......................... 10.4.6 Patrick Linnane was born on 27 June 1908, residence Tulla, per Tulla civil registration. <Tulla, Tulla, x; House 13>
.......................... 10.4.7 Kathleen Linnane (age 0 in 1911) <Tulla, Tulla, x; House 13>

............ 10.5 Bridget Linnane (1864 - 1865) was baptized on 9 April 1864, residence Tulla; sponsor Honora Flemming. A Biddy Linnane died in 1865 at the age of zero according to Tulla civil records (on-line record not yet available).

****************************************************************************************************

A Michael Linnan, of the 106th Regiment of Foot, was discharged on 6 October 1874 at the age of 45, having served for 24 years and 11 months (source: Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges, 1715 - 1925).

Michael Linnan had enlisted, about November 1849, with the 84th Regiment of Foot with whom he served for 9 years and 4 months. He was awarded the Indian Mutiny medal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/84th_(Yor ... nt_of_Foot

He then transferred to the 44th Regiment of Foot and served for 6 years and 8 months. During this period Private Linnan fought in the Second Opium War and was awarded the Taku Forts medal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_(Eas ... nt_of_Foot

And finally transferred to the 108th Regiment of Foot, and served for 8 years and 11 months.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108th_(Ma ... nt_of_Foot

Michael Linnan was given a 1 year bonus for fighting at the Siege of Lucknow during the India Mutiny, for a total 25 years and 11 months of service for calculating his pension.

Most of Michael Linnan's military service was overseas: he served in India for 19 years and 10 months, and 3 years and 1 month in China. Three good conduct badges.

This Michael Linnan reported a birthplace of "Tulla, Ennis, Clare" and he was discharged in October 1874 at the age of 45 years, so born about 1829. Age would be off by a few years, but Michael Linnan might be the Michael Linnane born in March 1826 to John Linnane and Catherine Lahiff?

After being gone from County Clare for 25 years, would Michael Linnan upon his discharge in 1874 have had any family still living in Tulla? Would there have been any reason for him to return to his birthplace? Could find no marriage record indicating that Michael Linnan had returned to County Clare. He was not on the military's Tralee District Pension List dated 1 January 1883, which included Tulla and neighboring parishes.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:32 am

Hi Jimbo

Good work finding the descendants of John Linnane and Margaret Purdon, most especially your realising that “Senan” was Linnane. And Mary “Senan’s” marriage to Cyrenus “Ryan” Bodine was key to bringing it all together. Mary was one of those really useful “go to” people and really useful for genealogy!

As for Michael Linnan, I wondered if his surname might be usually spelled “Lennon,” a surname found in the townland Sleiveanore, in Feakle parish – see the Catholic parish of Caher-Feakle, but I see no sign of a Michael Lennon in the Scarriff Union registration records. Plus he would not have given “Tulla, Ennis” as his birthplace if he was from Slieveanore, which is adjacent to the border with Co. Galway, and many miles from Ennis: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... e125_4.htm

Completely Unrelated Note: Looking at Slieveanore I was surprised to see Co. Monaghan as the birthplace for 6 people living in Slieveanore, and Co. Cavan as the birthplace for 4 more – both counties many, many miles from Slieveanore.

Sheila

pmac7186@gmail.com

Post by pmac7186@gmail.com » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:20 pm

Hello from West Michigan, I read with interest the discussion regarding the missing McNamara’s of Glandree. Did any of these ended up in Cleveland? Patrick McNamara (b1846) went to Cleveland by himself, in 1862.

Also, BTW, Tim Moloney still lives in Glendree. His family has been there at least 5 generations. He lives on the Griffith’s lot reference #24 in Glendree. He is an artist, farmer, former teacher and musician. You can find his art on at www.glendarart.com. I met with Tim a year ago in his studio. He is very informed on Glandree history.

Thanks again for your postings. Paul Mac.

MaryDooley

Post by MaryDooley » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:36 pm

Sduddy wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:53 pm
The Thomas aged 48 died in Derryfadda on 11.05.1867 (so born about 1819). He was a farmer and a widower. The Informant is Michael McNamara, Derryfadda. It’s possible this Thomas is the father of Patrick McNamara in Derryfadda. Patrick died on 09.02.1916, aged 73. If this age is correct he was born about 1843. Looking at the Caher-Feakle baptisms, I can find no Patrick born to a Thomas about that time. There are no McNamaras leasing land in Derryfadda at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. It may be that Thomas moved to Derryfadda at a later date.

Sheila
Hi

Appreciate I'm a few years late jumping in on this post in a fascinating thread which I have only skimmed so far, so apologies if I'm posting information that may be elsewhere in the thread. The Patrick McNamara in Derryfadda referred to here was my great great grandfather. My understanding is that Thomas McNamara and family moved to Derryfadda having been evicted from Ayle. I'm not sure when exactly but I believe the Thomas McNamara in Ayle in 1845 in Griffiths is this Thomas.

Now I'm back to reading more of the thread ..... several relatives mentioned in different places - thanks for posting!!

Mary

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:26 am

Hi Mary

Thank you very much for that posting. Apart from anything else, it brings home to me that the people I am talking about are real people.
And it explains why Thomas McNamara, who died in Derryfadda in 1867, was not in Derryfadda at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. (it’s “Derryfodda” in 1901 census).
Mary, I hope you will note any mistakes made and that you will also contribute more of what you know.

Sheila

MaryDooley

Post by MaryDooley » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:50 am

Thanks Sheila, though I'm sure I'm getting a lot more from this thread than I could possibly give!

The thread also contains some fascinating information on my great-great grandmother, Catherine Doyle, whose first husband Mike Moroney was shot by by the Moonlighters. Her second husband, also Mike Moroney, was my great-great grandfather. I knew nothing of the circumstances of the first Mike's death until this thread and am particularly grateful for the illustration from the newspaper.

Mary

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:51 am

Hi Mary

I’ve been looking at the McNamaras in Ayle in Griffith’s Valuation. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are two Ayle townlands, Ayle, Upper and Ayle, Lower. I wonder if you know which townland your Thomas was ejected from. I see that Ayle, Lower is leased entirely by Joseph Browne at the time of Griffith's Valuation, but I think your Thomas might have been living there, and might have been a tenant of the MacNamara Landlords there previous to the estate being sold to Joseph Browne. I think the Thomas McNamara who was in Ayle, Upper continued to live there and died there. I don’t doubt for an instant that you are right in saying that your Thomas had been living in Ayle before he moved to Derryfadda - I am writing this in case the descendants of the other Thomas are thrown into doubt about their ancestor. Here are a couple of records I have found:

1885: Death of Thomas McNamara, Ayle, aged 75, married; informant: Patt McNamara, son: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 804014.pdf

13 Apr 1887: Catherine McNamara, Ayle, widow of Thomas McNamara, aged 66; informant: Honora McNamara, daughter of deceased, Ayle. Is this Catherine Tuohey who is married to Thos McNamara in Feakle baptisms? (Feakle Baptisms: 16 Sep 1860: Michael of Thos. McNamara and Catherine Tuohey; sponsors: Pierse Morrissy, Catherine Doogan): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 776856.pdf

7 Feb 1871: Margaret McNamara, Ayle, daughter of Thomas McNamara, Farmer, to Michael Noonan, Shoemaker, Glandree, son of Pat Noonan, Farmer, in Feakle chapel; witnesses: Pat Molony, Margaret Madden: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 161175.pdf

On 31.01.1875, a Patrick McNamara, from Feakle, married Honora Powell, Uggoon (witnesses: Michael Larkin, Maria Powell). I failed to find the civil record of this marriage, which means that we cannot know for sure that he is a son of Thomas. The marriage is recorded in Tulla marriages 1862-1881: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 3/mode/1up.
This couple lived in the townland of Ayle Upper. Some births to this couple are recorded in Feakle Lower baptism register, and the civil records of some more births show that they lived in the townland of Ayle Upper:

24.11.1875: Mary of Patrick McNamara and Honoria Powell; sponsors: Michael McNamara, Mary Purcell. (Civil record 1876: Mary to Patrick McNamara and Honoria Powell. Ayle). Mary may be the Mary who died aged 0 in 1876 (reg. Scarriff.
29.01.1877: Mary of Patk McNamara and Honoria Powell; sponsors: John Morrissey, Ellen McDole. (Civil record: Mary to Patrick McNamara and Honoria Powell, Ayle) – no further records found for Mary.
30.11.1878: Catherine of Patk McNamara and Honoria Powell; sponsor: Anne McNamara. (Civil record: Catherine to Parick McNamara and Honora Powell, Ayle). Catherine died aged 8 in Ayle in 1887.
Birth record:
15 Mar 1881: Anne to Patrick McNamara and Honora Powell, Ayle.
25 Jan 1885: Margaret to Patrick McNamara, and Honora Powell, Ayle.
27 Jul 1887: Catherine to Patrick McNamara and Honora Killafoyle, Ayle.
1889: No record found for Jamesborn about 1889 (aged 11 in 1901)
20.09.1892: Hanora McNamara to Patrick McNamara and Hanora Kilafoyle, Ayle.
23.06.1895: Eliza McNamara to Patrick McNamara and Honora Guilfoyle, Ayle.

There must have been another child called Patrick b. about 1884.
Emigration of Patk (Patrick) McNamara b. 1884, on 23 Jun 1904, to Cousin Mrs. O’Toole, 412, West 42nd Street, New York – along with Annie McNamara below): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JNMZ-JJQ

1901 census for Ayle Upper (Ayle DED): Patrick McNamara, aged 48, Norah aged 46, Annie, aged 19, Katie aged 13, James aged 11, Lizzie aged 5: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... r/1084770/

1911: Katie aged 23, James aged 21, Nora aged 18, Lizzie aged 15.
(Annie is missing – she may be the Annie McNamara born 1881 who emigrated on 23 Jun 1904, going to cousin, Mrs. O’Toole, 412, West 62nd Street, New York; Familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFKJ-83D).

In 1911 there’s a Pat McNamara aged 65 and wife Nora aged 63, living in Rosslara, Ballynahinch DED; married 37 years, 11 children born of whom 8 are alive. (who might those 8 be?: Well there’s four at home in Ayle, plus Annie and maybe 3 of her siblings in America (Mary, Margaret and Patrick).

23 Feb 1914: Marriage of Catherine McNamara, Ayle, Feakle, daughter of Patrick McNamara, to Thomas Corry, Derryfadda, Killenena, son of Michael Corry, Farmer, in Feakle church; witnesses: Martin Corry, Mary Ellen Moloney: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 573833.pdf

11 Nov 1925: Death of Nora McNamara, Ayle, aged 72, married, wife of Patrick McNamara, Farmer; informant: James McNamara, son of deceased, Ayle: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 365792.pdf
26 May 1927: Death of Patrick McNamara, Ayle, aged 75, widower; informant: James McNamara, son of deceased, Ayle: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 353388.pdf
------------------------------------------

Ayle, Lower was the townland in which Ayle House was situated: Here is a little bit about it from the Landed Estates website (https://landedestates.ie/property?page=3):
The home of a branch of the Macnamara family in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was advertised for sale in 1850 and Griffith's Valuation records Joseph Browne as the occupier. He held the property in fee, the buildings were valued at £14. Weir writes that the original house was demolished and that the house now standing which was occupied by the Walshes, agents to the Macnamaras, was uninhabited. see http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article ... 30,00.html [this link no longer leads to the MacNamara gate lodge]
When the Macnamaras owned Ayle estate, there would have been some employees living in houses on the demesne, houses that came with the job (i.e. Herd, Shepherd, Gardiner, etc.) and which were rent free and therefore not listed in Grifftih’s Valuation. I think it is very possible that Thomas was living in one of those houses.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:44 am

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your postings. I'm not sure how far you have gotten in reading the long search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree, but on page 24 is another attempt at the family of Patrick McNamara and Bridget Rodgers of Derryfodda. This is a more detailed family tree from the Rogers of Drummin side of the family, but includes greater detail on the McNamara's of Derryfodda. This research was completed back in April 2020, and I see now that additional death records are available which do indeed confirm my theory that the Thomas Rogers who died in 1876 at the age of 85, was indeed the father of Michael Rogers (≈1816 - 1879).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 225208.pdf

Thomas Rogers (≈1791 - 1876) would be your great great great great great grandfather, I think.

The fact that one of the Rogers first went to Wales, had two children there, prior to going to Pittsburgh was very interesting. Some of your distant cousins would be far more German than Irish. I also noted the family connection to the widow Catherine Doyle Moroney and the 1882 Moonlighting incident. Was curious if descendants were aware of this family history. The illustration was from the newspaper. com archive. I now have the original newspaper edition of The Graphic Illustrated News, which I can scan to a much higher quality which I'll post another day (at the moment, the attachment feature on the Clare Past Forum does not work, which happens every few years).

Also, one important correction, the Thomas McNamara who was arrested about the same time as the 1882 moonlighting incident was a carpenter, and was most certainly not the Thomas McNamara, of the "Plot 3" McNamara's, who was a farmer.

Regarding the discusson on the Thomas McNamara being from Ayle, I agree with Sheila, but would also like to add that people from neighboring townlands to Ayle townland, home of Ayle House, frequently stated they were from Ayle in Irish civil records.

For example, the Thomas McNamara from Derryeaghra townland, adjacent to Ayle townland, always stated that they were from Ayle in records. This Thomas McNamara appears to have died in Derryeaghra (the record is not yet available) and the family was not evicted.

Using the 1926 Rate Book for Ayle, you are able to trace those listed on Griffith Valuation to the same plots in 1926. The McNamara lands as of 1855 appear to have remained in McNamara's hands, or their descendants in 1926, so there appear to have been no evictions, or lasting evictions for these McNamara's.

Sheila, thank you for your research. Yesterday, prior to your posting I updated some old research notes on these Ayle McNamara families which I'll post now. It looks at three McNamara families, including the McNamara's you have outlined. By comparing the 1855 Griffith Valuation with the 1926 Rate Book, I am confident as to the identity of Patrick McNamara, married to Honora Powell, being the son of Thomas McNamara of Ayle Plot 8/9. Also, the entire Noonan family immigrated to Chicago, and a Cook County death record provides evidence that the wife of Thomas McNamara was a Tuohy, and thus that they were indeed the parents of the Michael McNamara baptized in 1860, as you discovered. You also found some important items that I missed in my research: (1) Patrick & Honora McNamara were in Rosslara townland in 1911 - what were they doing there? (2) Anne & her brother Patrick McNamara's arrival in New York in 1904; I was not aware of this Patrick. Your research missed that Patrick McNamara and Honora Powell had a daughter named Bridget, one of their 8 children living at the time of the 1911 census. It appears that every large McNamara family in County Clare must have a daughter named Bridget.

Sheila, this is a giant sidetrack from the latest topic of Margaret Linnane of Glandree, but amazingly there is a connection to the 1847 trial which sent four Glandree men to prison to Bermuda.

Thomas McNamara (≈1795 - 1865?) and Mary (≈1795 - 1875) of Derryeaghra (Feakle), Plots 4, 5, 6

At 1855 Griffith Valuation of Derryeaghra townland, Thomas McNamara leased Plots 4, 5, and 6, which consisted of "House, office, & land, & cottier's house", over 21 acres, with a valuation of £8, lessor Michael Cullinan.

In the 1926 Rate Book for Scariff, Ayle DED, Derryeaghra, Plots 4, 5, and 6 are held by Daniel Minogue, the son-in-law of Michael McNamara, who was the son of Thomas McNamara.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... e_ded1.htm

Derryeaghra townland is adjacent to Ayle House, and occupants of Derreaghra in civil records typically state they are from Ayle.

A Thomas McNamara, age 70, died in 1865, in Scarriff civil registration; on-line death record not yet available. Mary McNamara, of Ayle, widow of a farmer, age 80 years, died on 4 January 1875; informant Michael McNamara (not reported, but her son).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 238033.pdf

1.0 Michael McNamara (≈1834 - 1889) and Margaret Moloney (≈1830 - 1914)

Michael McNamara, of Feakle, son of farmer Tom McNamara, married Margaret Molony, of Dangan, daughter of James Molony, on 18 February 1865, at the Catholic church in Ennis, by the parish priest Daniel Corbett of Quin Parish; witnesses James Moloney and Margaret Nash.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 254850.pdf

Michael McNamara, of Ayle, farmer, married, age 55 years, died on 15 February 1889; informant Patrick Molony. (Scarriff registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 756461.pdf

The widow, Margaret Moloney McNamara, was living with her daughter and son-in-law, Daniel Minogue, in both the 1901 census (age 70) and 1911 census (age 78). <Derryeaghra, Ayle, House 1, House 1> Margaret McNamara, of Derryeaghra, widow of late McNamara, a farmer, age 88 years, died on 4 June 1914; informant Daniel Minogue, her son-in-law.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 473942.pdf

Michael McNamara and Margaret Molony were the parents of two children:

............ 1.1 Mary McNamara (1866 - ?), Mary Mack was baptized on 26 February 1866, sponsors James Molony & Hanorah Kevan, at Feakle Parish, by the Rev. A. Connellan (no residences reported in Feakle parish register). "Mary Mack", at "Poulagatta, P. Feakle", was born on 11 October 1866, father "Michael Mack", farmer of Poulagatta; mother, Margaret Molony; informant Margaret Mack, present at birth, Poulagatta. "Poulagatta" equals "Poulatrumpa" in Knockbeha, Feakle?

Mary McNamara, of Ayle, daughter of farmer Michael McNamara, married Daniel Minogue, of Derrynaneal, son of farmer John Minogue, on 5 February 1890 at the Catholic chapel at Feakle; witnesses Pat Minogue and Anne McInerney. <Derryeaghra, Ayle, House 1, House 1>

........................... 1.1.1 Mary Margaret Minogue (age 20 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.2 Kate Minogue (age 19 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.3 John Minogue (age 18 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.4 Michael Minogue (age 16 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.5 Bridget Minogue (age 15 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.6 Pat Minogue (age 14 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.7 Annie Minogue (age 11 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.8 Julia Minogue (age 8 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.9 Dan Minogue (age 6 in 1911)
........................... 1.1.10 Joe Minogue (age 3 in 1911)

............ 1.2 Bridget McNamara (1867 - ?), Bridget Mack was baptized on 21 September 1867, sponsors Thady Leydan & Mary Molony, at Feakle Parish, by the Rev. A. Connellan (no residences reported in Feakle parish register). "Bridget Mack", at "Ayle, P. Feakle", was born on 11 October 1866, father "Michael Mack", farmer of Ayle; mother, Margaret Molony; informant Mary Leyden, present at birth, Ayle.

Bridget McNamara, of Ayle, Feakle, daughter of Michael McNamara, married Thomas Walsh, of Caherhurley, Bodyke, son of farmer James Walsh, on 16 February 1892 at the Catholic chapel at Feakle, by the curate J. Clancy; witnesses Jeremiah Walsh and Anne McInerney (Scariff registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 871937.pdf

Could not find Bridget and Thomas Walsh in later census and civil records. A Thomas Walsh (age 24) and a Bridget Walsh (age 24), who appeared to be traveling together, arrived in New York on the SS Umbria on 2 May 1892. However, their origin was "Limerick", so not sure.

James McNamara of Ayle Upper Townland, Plots 2 & 3

At 1855 Griffith Valuation of Ayle Upper townland, James McNamara leased Plots 2 and 3, which consisted of "House and land, and cottiers' house", over 36 acres, with a valuation of £13, lessor Joseph Browne.

In the 1926 Rate Book for Scariff, Ayle DED, Ayle Upper townland, Plots 2 and 3 are held by Francis McNamara, the grandson of James McNamara.

"James McNamara" was a very common name in Scariff registration district, but none of the available civil death records were from Ayle townland. James McNamara of Ayle may have died prior to 1864, or perhaps he was reported in the following death records which are not yet available on-line:

- James McNamara who died in 1870, at the age of 86.
- James McNamara who died in 1867, at the age of 57.

1.0 Patrick McNamara (≈1827 - 1911) and Mary Mealy (≈1830 - 1891). Unknown marriage, most likely in Feakle Parish whose records start in 1860.

Mary McNamara, of Upper Ayle, married, 60 years, wife of farmer Patrick McNamara, died on 12 February 1891; informant son Thomas McNamara (Scariff registration).

Patrick McNamara, of Ayle, widower, 83 years, farmer, died on 7 March 1911; informant son Michael McNamara. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1, x>

Parents of 10 children baptized in Feakle Catholic parish between 1860 and 1880.

............ 1.1 John McNamara, baptized on 25 May 1860; sponsors Matt T____ & Margaret O'Dea. Died prior to civil registration of deaths in 1864? Possibly, an infant son who was born sickly and thus not named after paternal grandfather?

............ 1.2 James McNamara (1862 - prior to 1865), baptized on 10 February 1862; sponsors Pat O'Dea & Mary Cummane. Died prior to birth of brother James in 1865. Both named after paternal grandfather.

............ 1.3 Margaret McNamara, baptized on 25 April 1863; sponsors Thos & Ellen Mealy. A Margaret McNamara died in the second quarter of 1864 at the age of 0 years; online Scariff registration not yet available. However, another Margaret McNamara was born in March 1863 in Feakle, so this Margaret may have emigrated?

............ 1.4 James McNamara, baptized on 16 April 1865; sponsors Michl Dough___ & Margaret Flaherty. Could not locate civil marriage or death records in Scariff or neighboring districts through 1901. His younger brother Francis would inherit his father's land, did James emigrate?

............ 1.5 Mary McNamara, baptized on 17 May 1867; sponsor Margaret McNamara. No civil marriage or death records in Scariff through 1901. Did she emigrate?

............ 1.6 Michael McNamara (1869 - 1912), baptized on 13 July 1869; sponsors Pat & Mary Mack. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1, House 5> Michael McNamara, farmer, of Ayle, bachelor, "age 39", died on 13 August 1912; informant brother Francis McNamara (Scariff registration).

............ 1.7 Thomas McNamara (1871 - 1922), baptized on 22 November 1871; sponsors Pat Mack & Catherine Maly. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1; Caherhurly, Caherhurly, House 3> Thomas McNamara, of Ayle, Feakle, son of farmer Pat McNamara, married Elizabeth Cooney, of Caherhurly, daughter of farmer Thady Cooney, on 1 March 1905, at the Catholic Chapel at Bodyke, by the parish priest John McNamara; witnesses John Mealy and Bridget McNamara

Thomas McNamara died in 1922, son Patrick McNamara was the informant.

......................... 1.7.1 Patrick McNamara (age 5 in 1911) <x; Caherhurly, Caherhurly, House 3>
......................... 1.7.2 Timothy McNamara (age 3 in 1911) <x; Caherhurly, Caherhurly, House 3>
......................... 1.7.3 Mary McNamara (age 2 in 1911) <x; Caherhurly, Caherhurly, House 3>
......................... 1.7.4 Ellen McNamara (age 0 in 1911) <x; Caherhurly, Caherhurly, House 3>

............ 1.8 Bridget McNamara, baptized on 7 October 1873; sponsors Martin Mealy & Margaret Mack. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1; Derryvinna, Ayle, House 2> Bridget McNamara, of Ayle, Feakle, daughter of farmer Pat McNamara, married Rody Daley, of Derryaghera, Feakle, son of Denis Daley, on 23 February 1909 at Catholic Church at Feakle, by the parish priest M. Hayes; witnesses John Daley, Margaret Daley, and Delia Moloney (Scariff registration).

......................... 1.8.1 Mary Daly (age 1 in 1911) <x; Derryvinna, Ayle, House 2>

............ 1.9 Francis McNamara, baptized on 6 January 1876; sponsor Margaret McNamara. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1, House 5> Francis McNamara, of Ayle, Feakle, son of farmer Pat McNamara, married Mary Kate Butler, of Dangan, Quin, daughter of farmer James Butler, on 18 April 1917, at the Catholic Church at Quin, by the parish priest S. Slattery; witnesses John Molony and Mary Ellen Moloney.

Appears to have outlived all his brothers, and in the 1926 Rate Book, it is Francis McNamara reported as the leaseholder for Ayle Upper townland for plots 2 and 3.

............ 1.10 Catherine McNamara, baptized on 6 May 1880; sponsors William Jones & Margaret McNamara. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1, House 5>

Thomas McNamara (≈1809 - 1885) and Catherine Tuohy (≈1821 - 1887) of Ayle Upper, Plots 8 & 9

At 1855 Griffith Valuation of Ayle Upper townland, Thomas McNamara leased Plots 8 and 9, which consisted of "House, offices, and land", over 19 acres, with a valuation of £10, lessor Joseph Browne.

In the 1926 Rate Book for Scariff, Ayle DED, Ayle Upper townland, Plots 8 and 9 are held by "Patrick McNamara (Thomas)", the wording to reflect that Patrick McNamara (≈1852 - 1927) was the son of Thomas McNamara (≈1809 - 1885).

When the widow of Thomas McNamara, Mrs. Catherine McNamara, died in 1887, her daughter-in-law, Honora Powell McNamara was the informant. When her daughter, Mrs. Bridget McNamara Noonan, died in Chicago in 1917, the informant correctly identified Bridget's mother's maiden name as "Tuohy" on the death record, but the first name as "Bridget" was incorrect. With this evidence, it does appear that the Michael McNamara baptized in 1860 at Feakle Parish was the last of the children born to Thomas McNamara and Catherine Tuohy (as Sheila had discovered).

Death of Thomas McNamara in 1885:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 804014.pdf

1.0 Patrick McNamara (≈1852 - 1927), of Feakle, married Honora Powell (1851 - 1924), of Uggoon, on 31 January 1875 at Tulla Parish; witnesses Michael Larkin and Maria Powell.

Could not locate the civil marriage record for this marriage which would confirm the father of the groom and bride. Honora Powell of Uggoon must be the third daughter of "Daniel Kilafoyle" and Margaret Gorman of Uggoon (GV # 12) baptized in the Tulla baptism register: (1) Bridget Kilfoyle, baptized in November 1844. (2) Mary Kilfoyle, baptized 7 July 1848, married Denis Cooney, son of James Cooney of Glendree, in 1876. (3) Honora Kilafoyle, baptized 28 December 1851.

See "Guilfoyle/Kilfoyle becomes Powell" discussion by Sheila here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7355

Nora McNamara, of Ayle Scariff R.D., married, age 72 years, wife of farmer Patrick McNamara, died on 11 November 1924; informant son James McNamara, of Ayle. Honora was the informant for her mother-in-law, Catherine McNamara, when she died in 1887.

Patrick McNamara, of Ayle Scariff R.D., widower, age 75 years, farmer, died on 18 July 1927; informant son James McNamara, of Ayle.

In 1911, as Sheila discovered, Patrick and Honora McNamara were living in Rosslara townland in Ballynahinch, separate from their children still in Upper Ayle. They had been married for 37 years, or about 1874, which is one year prior to the birth of their first child. Parents of 11 children, 8 surviving in 1911. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 3; Rosslara, Ballynahinch, House 4>

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ra/370438/

............ 1.1 Mary McNamara (1875 - 1876) was baptized on 24 November 1875, sponsors Michael McNamara & Mary Purcell, by the parish priest J. Meade, at Feakle Parish. Mary McNamara, of Ayle, age 2 months, daughter of a farmer, died on 21 January 1876; informant Michael McNamara (possibly, her uncle born in 1860?).

............ 1.2 Mary McNamara (1877 - 1951) was baptized on 29 January 1877, sponsors John Morrissey & Ellen McDole, by the parish priest J. Meade, at Feakle Parish. Mary McNamara married James O'Hara in 1900 in New Zealand. One daughter in NZ. Moved to Vancouver in 1907. Mrs. Mary O'Hara took her two daughters in 1924 to County Clare to visit their grandfather, Mr. P. McNamara of Ayle (the key clue to her identity). They returned on the SS Laconia arriving in New York on 3 August 1924.
Mrs. Mary (McNamara) O'Hara
Requiem Mass will be offered at St. Francis Xavier Church, Washington D.C., for Mrs. Mary (McNamara) O'Hara of 212 N. Beaudry Ave., Los Angeles. She came to Los Angeles from her birthplace, Co. Clare, Ireland, and was for many years a member of St. Victor's and Blessed Sacrament Parishes, where she was an active worker in parish organization. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Margaret J. Sprick, Washington D.C. and Mrs. Marion G. Allen, Torrance, Calif.; two granddaughters, Maureen and Kathleen Allen; three sisters and a brother, Mrs. Anna Wenger, Chicago, Ill., Mrs. Nonie Kelly, London, England; Miss Delia McNamara, Chicago, Ill.; and James McNamara of Ireland. Interment will be in the Catholic cemetery, Washington D.C.
The Tidings, Los Angeles, 20 April 1951
......................... 1.2.1 Margaret O'Hara, born in Auckland, New Zealand (age 19 in 1924). "A lovely wedding and nuptial mass took place Tuesday, November 19, [1940], in St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Petersburg, VA, when Miss Margaret Jane O'Hara, daughter of Mrs. Mary O'Hara and the late James O'Hara of Hollywood, Calif., became the bride of Mr. Frank Nicholas Sprick of Washington and Little Rock, Arkansas. .. . The bride wore a white poinsetta brocaded satin bridal gown fashioned princess style with sweetheart neck and puff sleeves ending in a point at the waist. The very bouffant skirt ended in a long train. Her veil of tulle and lace was held in place by a pearl beaded coronet. ..", The Evening Star, Districk of Columbia, 12 December 1940.
......................... 1.2.2 Marion O'Hara, born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (age 4 in 1924). "Miss Marion Grace O'Hara of Hollywood was her sister's maid of honor and only attendant. She was dressed in a floor-length costume of pale pink net. She wore a sweet-heart hat of velvet and carried an old-fashioned nose-gay of dubonnet roses centered with delphinium blue chrysanthemum".

............ 1.3 Catherine McNamara (1878 - 1887) was baptized on 30 November 1878, sponsor Anne McNamara, by the parish priest J. Meade, at Feakle Parish. Died on 23 June 1887, at Ayle, at the age of 8½ years; informant mother Honora McNamara.

............ 1.4 Annie McNamara was born on 15 March 1881 per Scariff civil registration. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 3, x>

Anna McNamara took two trips to USA, first in 1902, and secondly in 1904 with brother Patrick. She was going to an aunt, Miss Delia of Brooklyn, on her first trip, and to a cousin, Mrs. O'Toole on the second trip (may update this later).

Anna McNamara, "age 22", married Julius Wenger on 20 April 1907 in Chicago, Illinois (per Cook County Marriage Index, 1871-1920). In the 1950 census, the widow Anna McNamara Wenger was living with her two daughters, two sons-in-law, and five grandchildren on Wood Street in Chicago.

......................... 1.4.1 Marie J. Wenger (age 11 in 1920)
......................... 1.4.2 Anna H. Wenger (age 2 in 1920)

............ 1.5 Bridget "Delia" McNamara was born on 1 July 1883, residence Ayle, per Scariff civil registration. "Miss Delia McNamara, Chicago" was named in the 1951 obituary of her sister Mary McNamara O'Hara of County LA. Where was Delia living in 1901?

............ 1.6 Patrick McNamara, see Sheila comments in prior posting with regards to no civil birth record and travel to USA in 1904. Where living in 1901 census?

............ 1.7 Katie McNamara was born on 24 July 1887 per Scariff civil registration; mother reported as Honora Killafoyle. <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 3, House 1> Married Thomas Corry, son of Michael Corry, of Derryfadda, Killanena, on 23 February 1914.

............ 1.8 James McNamara <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 3, House 1> Was age 11 in the 1901 census, and age 21 in the 1911 census, but no civil birth record can be found between 1888 and 1891? Was the informant on the 1924 and 1927 death records for mother and father. "James McNamara of Ireland" was named in the 1951 obituary of his sister Mary McNcNamara O'Hara of Los Angeles.

............ 1.9 Hanora McNamara was born on 20 September 1892 per Scariff civil registration. <Clonloghan, Clenagh, House 1 ?; Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 1> Hanora was not living with her family in the 1901 census. Her age is off by three years, but she might be the Hanora McNamara (age 12) living with Timothy McNamara (age 40), his wife Mary Ellen (Murphy) McNamara (age 28), and reported as a "relative"?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1071420/

Nora McNamara married John Kelly in the first quarter of 1927 in London (per England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage, 1916-2005). "Mrs. Nonie Kelly, London, England" was named in the 1951 obituary of her sister Mary McNamara O'Hara of County LA.

............ 1.10 Eliza McNamara was born on 23 June 1895 per Scariff civil registration, mother reported as Honora Guilofoyle (variation of Powell). <Ayle Upper, Ayle, House 3, House 1>

............ 1.11 Unkown McNamara, parents of 11 children, 8 living as of 1911.

2.0 Margaret McNamara (≈1855 - 1917) and Michael Noonan (1840 - 1923).

Margaret McNamara would have been born prior to the 1860 start of Feakle Parish baptism records. Birth year estimated to be about 1855 as reflected in Cook County 1917 death record. Perhaps Margaret was born a few years earlier as she married in 1871, but not too much earlier as she had a son born in Chicago in 1902.

Margaret McNamara, daughter of farmer Thomas McNamara, of Ayle, married Michael Noonan, shoemaker, son of farmer Patt Noonan, of Glandree, on 7 February 1871 at the RC chapel in Feakle; witnesses Patt Moloney and Margaret Madden.

Move to Chicago in 1895: Michael and Margaret Noonan, his mother Bridget McDowell Noonan, and their six youngest children went together. UK Outward passenger listing has Noonan family departing Queenstown on 11 July 1895 on the "Oamland" bound for Philadelphia. No ages are provided, just married adults, single adults, and children. The Philadelphia passenger listing for the "Pennland" arriving in Philadelphia on 20 July 1895 reported Michael Noonan ("age 45"), Margaret Noonan ("age 40"), Bridget Noonan ("age 60", in fact, age 75), Kate Noonan (age 17), Margaret (age 18), Thomas (age 11), William (age 8 ), Michael (age 6), and John (age 3).

1895 passenger listing: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:23QD-33T

Margaret Noonan died on 30 May 1917, at the reported age of 62, born in Ireland, father Thomas McNamara, mother Bridget Fouley (Foley?) per the "Illinois Death Index, 1916-1947" on the ancestry website. The Family Search website states mother as Bridget Tuohy. The eldest Irish born Noonan grandchildren of Catherine Tuohy McNamara, who died in Ireland in 1887, may have remembered their grandmother but would never have known her by her first name "Catherine". "Bridget" was a very good guess for an Irish grandmother.

1917 Cook County death record index: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MW-H4FL
NOONAN—Michael Noonan, beloved husband of the late Margaret, nee McNamara, fond father of Patrick, Thomas, William, Michael, John, Mrs Daniel Lions [Lyons], Mrs. Andrew Marnell, the late Mrs. Michael McNamara, Mary and Joseph Noonan, brother of Mrs. Mary Wenger. Funeral Monday at 9:30 a.m. from residence, 707 N. Christian Ave, to St. Matthew's Church. Interment Mount Carmel.
Chicago Tribune, Chicago, 15 April 1923
............ 2.1 Bridget "Delia" Noonan, of Lower Glendree, baptized on 20 January 1872; sponsors Patrick McNamara, Maria Noonan. On civil birth record, father reported as "labourer".

Delia Noonan, age 19, born in Ireland, arrived in Philadelphia on 6 May 1891 on the British Prince; her destination was Chicago. Delia's parents, grandmother, and six siblings in 1895 would take the same Philadelphia route to join her in Chicago.

Delia Noonan married Michael H. McNamara, the son of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin of Glandree, and the grandson of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara of Uggoon, in Chicago, on 3 August 1892 (Cook County Marriage Index, 1871 - 1920).

......................................... 2.1.1 William McNamara, born in Chicago on 17 October 1895, parents as above (Cook County birth certificate index). William A. died in Chicago on 27 November 1899 at the age of 4 years (Illinois deaths index).
......................................... 2.1.2 John Francis McNamara (age 6 in 1900 census)
......................................... 2.1.3 Joseph M. McNamara (age 2 in 1900 census)
......................................... 2.1.4 Margaret McNamara (age 7 months in 1900 census)
......................................... 2.1.5 Thomas F. McNamara (age 8 years in 1910 census)

............ 2.2 Mary Noonan, of Glandree, baptized on 24 December 1873; sponsors Pat Dwyer, Bridget Noonan. On civil birth record, father reported as "farmer".

............ 2.3 Patrick Noonan, of Glendree, baptized on 12 February 1876; sponsors William Noonan, Johanna Noonan. On civil birth record, father reported as "farmer". Was living with living with brother-in-law, Michael McNamara, on 91 Miller Street in Chicago, occupation sewer builder. He had arrived in USA in 1893, prior to his parent, per 1900 census.

............ 2.4 Catherine Noonan, of Glendree, baptized on 15 May 1878; sponsors Michael Mack, Catherine Clancy. On civil birth record, father reported as "labourer". Arrived in Philadelphia on the "Pennland" with parents and siblings on 20 July 1895, on way to Chicago. Later, Mrs. Daniel Lyons.

............ 2.5 Margaret Noonan, of Glendree, baptized on 4 December 1880; sponsors Mary Corry. On civil birth record, father reported as "shoemaker". Arrived in Philadelphia on the "Pennland" with parents and siblings on 20 July 1895, on way to Chicago. Later, Mrs. Andrew Marnell.

............ 2.6 Thomas Noonan, of Glendree, born on 27 July 1883 (Tulla registration); father reported as "shoemaker". Arrived in Philadelphia on the "Pennland" with parents and siblings on 20 July 1895, on way to Chicago.

............ 2.7 William Noonan, unknown civil birth record, about 1887 (age 13 in 1900 USA census). Arrived in Philadelphia on the "Pennland" with parents and siblings on 20 July 1895, on way to Chicago.

............ 2.8 Michael Noonan, of Glendree, born on 1 July 1889 (Tulla registration); father reported as "farmer". Arrived in Philadelphia on the "Pennland" with parents and siblings on 20 July 1895, on way to Chicago.

............ 2.9 John Noonan, of Glendree, born on 19 January 1893 (Tulla registration) ; father reported as "farmer". Arrived in Philadelphia on the "Pennland" with parents and siblings on 20 July 1895, on way to Chicago.
Noonan.—The Rev. John P. Noonan, S.J., beloved son of the late Michael and Margaret (McNamara) Noonan; fond brother of William J. and Michael F. Noonan and the late Patrick, Mary, Mrs. Margaret Marnell, Joseph, Thomas, Mrs. Catherine Lyons and Mrs. Delia McNamara. Lying in state after 6 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, at Faculty Building, Loyola campus, 6525 N. Sheridan road. Funeral Wednesday, No. 21. Office of the Dead at 9:30 a.m. Requiem mass at 10 a.m., in Madonna delia Strada chapel. Interment All Saints cemetery
Chicago Tribune, Chicago, 20 November 1962
............ 2.10 Joseph Noonan (1902 - 1906), died in Chicago on 12 April 1906 at the age of four, birthplace Chicago, burial Mt. Carmel cemetery.

3.0 Bridget "Delia" McNamara ? , born prior to 1860 start of Feakle Parish register? Miss Delia McNamara was reported as an Aunt when an Anne McNamara made her first trip to New York in 1902. More research required to prove this theory.

4.0 Michael McNamara was baptized on 16 September 1860, no residence reported, by the Rev. A. Connellan; sponsors Pierse Morrisey & Catherine Doogan, per Feakle parish register. Possibly the informant at the death of his niece in 1876. Later whereabouts unknown. New York? Chicago? New Zealand?

The fact that the widow Bridget McDowell Noonan at the age of 76 went to Chicago with her son Michael Noonan and his large family was very surprising. She died in Chicago on 3 March 1899 at the age of 80 years old per the "Illinois Death Index, 1877 - 1916". Typically this index would include parents if this information was available, so not sure if obtaining a copy of the death certificate would include this information.

Cook County Death Record (index only) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MQ-3RS8
Calvary cemetery record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2HN-V33S

Two of her daughters (Bridget and Johanna) immigrated to New Zealand, one of whom returned to Ireland (Bridget). Their descendants posted on the Clare Past Forum about 10 years ago, and I believe are aware of sibling Michael Noonan of Chicago, but will be very surprised to learn that their great great grandmother went to Chicago in 1895.

Here is the posting on the Clare Past Forum that has several unrelated topics; scroll down to the last 4 postings which relate to descendants of Bridget McDowell Noonan. In reading this again, it is obvious that the comment related to another daughter, Mary Noonan, who "came to the states where she married a man named Albert Wenger and settled in Cook County Chicago, Illinois", that this Albert Wenger must be related to the Julis Wenger who married Anna McNamara (a niece of Margaret McNamara Noonan).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4017&p=10203&hilit=Noonan#p10203

The connection back to the Linnanes of Glandree: I had previously mentioned the family of Michael McDowell / McDole of Glandree who appear to have gone missing from Tulla parish records after 1844. One of several missing McNamara families from Glandree.

At the 1847 trial of the four Glandree men who had brutally attacked Margaret Linnane of Glandree, she was quoted as stating "her landlord's name is M'Dowel; he [M'Dowel] processed her for 5s 5d, that was due for the rent; one of the prisoners was slightly related to him; she did not pay the landlord for she wanted to take a turn out of the money for her poor orphans".

I reckon that Margaret Linnane's landlord, actually a sub-lessor, was Michael McDowell / McDole married to Johanna McNamara. See family tree below. Was Bridget McDowell, married to Patrick Noonan of Glandree, born about 1819 according to her Illinois death record, the eldest daughter of Michael McDowell and Johanna McNamara?

It also is interesting to note that "John Lennane", who appeared three times as an occupier of land in Glandree in the Tithe Applotment book for Tulla Parish dated 11 February 1827, his 3 acres (#377) were between Patrick Noonan and Andrew McNamara.

3.0 Johanna (Sheedy?) McNamara (1801 ?? - ) and Michael McDole ( - )

............ ?.? Bridget McDowell (≈1819, prior to start of Tulla baptism register?) married to Patrick Noonan ?

............ 3.1 John MacDole (1821)
............ 3.? missing baptism pages (1823 - 1825)
............ 3.2 Michael Dole (1829)
............ 3.3 Pat McDole (1831)
............ 3.4 Anne McDole (1833)
............ 3.5 Eliza McDole (1837)
............ 3.6 Margaret McDole (1840)
............ 3.? missing baptism page (1841)
............ 3.? missing baptism page (1843)
............ 3.7 James McDole (1844)

If Bridget McDowell Noonan was indeed the daughter of Michael McDowell and Johanna McNamara, did the other missing McDowell family members also immigrate to Chicago?

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:31 pm

Jimbo, on Oct 5th you had set out your extensive research on the Linnanes of Glandree and noted this:

"4.0 Peter Linnane (≈? - prior to 1855?) and Ellen Hayes do not appear in the Tulla parish marriage register which begins in 1819. They likely married at either Feakle or Caher Feakle Parish.

There was no Peter Linnane in Glandree townland at Griffiths Valuation, perhaps indicating he had died prior to 1855 or perhaps the Linnane family had immigrated?

Peter Linnane and Ellen Hayes were the parents of six children baptized in the Tulla baptism register (1819 - 1846):

............ 4.? Missing Tulla baptism register (March 1822 through August 1825)

............ 4.1 Mary Linnane (1827 - prior to 1829) was baptized in December 1827, residence Glandree, sponsors John McAroy(?) and Bridget Morony. Appears to have died prior to sister Mary born in 1829.
...." [end here of the excerpt from your long, excellent accounting]

I don't attempt to follow any Linnane (a surname too readily distorted or spelled many ways) but I do follow McNamara. Just now going through my McN notes of Feakle, I am showing what I retained that may be of use if you wish to further track down the elder Peter Linnane (of Tithe Applotment days), as this younger Peter (wife also named Ellen) seems to have a birth year that could fit him in as the elder Peter's son, those years missing from the Tulla baptism register:

Old St. Mary's Cemetery, East Britannia Street, Taunton, MA
http://members.fortunecity.com/sneirish ... aryTnt.htm LENNANE/LINNANE

Erected by Ellen Linnane in memory of her beloved husband & children
Peter Linnane, Died Aug. 23, 1861, aged 39 years 3 months
Native of Parish of Feakley, Co. Clare, Ireland
James, Died June 27, 1854, aged 1 year 2 months 10 days
Mary, Died Sept. 3, 1857, aged 3 months 17 days
(back)
Ellen Galligan, wife of Peter Linnane, 1828-1901
Catherine A. Linnane, 1860-1915
(next stone)
Michael Lennane, Died Jan. 27, 1896, aged 71 years
Ann, his wife, Died Jan. 12, 1873, aged 38 years
Erected by their children

MaryDooley

Post by MaryDooley » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks again, I'm learning/confirming an adbundance of family history here and am in awe of the level and depth of research on this thread.

Sheila I have no idea whether the McNamaras were said to come from Ayle Upper or Ayle Lower, I was just told they were evicted from Ayle around the time of the murder of William Sheehy in 1860.

Jimbo you wondererd whether descendants were aware of the Michael Moroney/Catherine Doyle story. When I first got that far in my (very amatuer) research I was very confused - I know ages aren't always correct but the records appeared to be suggesting that my great great grandfather Mike Moroney was very much a child when he was married. However, after much head scratching, a cousin informed me that Catherine had been married to two different Mike Moroneys and things started to make more sense. However, I had no idea of the circumstances of the death of the first Mike Moroney until I read it here. As a child, my mother would have known some of the children of the first Mike and had never heard the story either. The next question that I haven't yet been able to answer definitively is were the two Mikes related. I look forward to seeing your updated scan from the newspaper - though what you have already posted is truly remarkable.