Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Information is wanted of Thomas McNamara, of Glandree,

Post by Sduddy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Jim

Yes, you are right. The vast majority of emigrants, at that time, went to America, and my hypothetical number should have reflected that. I think I was bowled over when I went to familysearch.org and searched England for Thomas McNamara/Mack, born in Ireland 1819-1846, and got a whole lot of results. A good many specify Co. Clare, and of those who just give Ireland as birthplace I reckon about half are from Clare also (Tithes’s shows that of 1,510 McNamaras in Ireland, 834 are in Co. Clare). Only a fraction of these were from Tulla, but the Genmap (for Tithes) shows that Tulla and other East Clare parishes had the bulk of the McNamaras at that time. Just looking at that map, I estimate that there’s a roughly 80% chance that a Thomas McNamara, from Clare*, was born in East Clare, and an 8% chance that he came from Tulla parish. But I was unable to go from that point to estimating how many of those Thomas McNamaras in England came from Tulla, and I decided that there wasn’t really very much point in trying anyway.
Yes, I should have allowed one, or two to go to Australia/New Zealand - also one to Canada.
*I mean Clare at the time of Tithes. The Genmap for Griffith's and the 1901 census shows a growing dispersal of the McNamaras.

About Blarnagh in Tulla: I see on http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... la_tab.htm that it lies within Affogh, which is spelled Affick in later records. The townlands had not been “offialised” at the time of Tithes, so it’s hard to say how much of Affogh (as in Tithes) was included in the “official” townland of Afflick as per the 1842 map. So it’s possible that Blarnagh straddles two townlands. Blarna continued to be used as a placename for all of the 19th century – see the roll-book for Knockjames School: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... /index.htm. - and is probably still used locally. I see that “Lough Blarnagh” comes up in some official documents about drainage, but I can’t figure out where Lough Blarnagh is.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks very much for letting me know that Blarnagh is now known as Affick. I've mapped out a walking journey from Glandree to each of the birth locations of the 11 Thomas McNamara's baptized in Tulla between 1819 to 1846 but not from Glandree. See google maps below.

Newgrove is now Ballyslattery. Tullacrag is likely Cragg just north of Tulla. Lacharue is Lecarrow. Teereda is Tyredagh. Thomas Mac #15 was born in an illegible location, but his parents Patrick McNamara and Biddy Tuohy also had children in Derryulk, so I went with that. The entire journey is about 35km and would take about 7 hours walking.

As you've noted before, Glendree is a somewhat isolated from the other locations in Tulla. It was probably common to find a marriage partner in neighboring Feakle and other locations to the east. From the satellite map version it looks like they get a bit of snow in Glendree.
Attachments
Residence of 16 Thomas McNamara's in Tulla Parish (google maps).jpg
Residence of 16 Thomas McNamara's in Tulla Parish (google maps).jpg (106.17 KiB) Viewed 178484 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 am

Hi Jim

I like your map showing the birthplaces of the various Thomases. I think what looks like snow is a little low-lying wispy cloud on the hilltop. If you look at the Bing map on clarelibrary.ie you will get a clearer view: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... endree.htm . There’s a lot of state forestry now, but that was not there in the 19th century, of course. Glendree is a very big townland, as you’ve probably noticed, and stretches from the uplands in the north, to the lowlands in the south. The Bing satellite view is clearer than the google view, but the great thing about google maps is that the cameramen filmed all of that area on a lovely fresh May morning. All that’s missing is the birdsong. The beech trees are already in leaf and the ash trees are just realizing they must get with the plan. Start a virtual drive at Drumcharley church, now in a modern style and freshly painted, and drive north and ... all around the place.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:59 am

Hi Sheila,

I've saved the virtual drive north from Drumcharley Church for another day. Instead to test out my theory on Australian immigration, I did a quick search of the "NSW Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896". This would exclude any convicts, unassisted immigrants, and immigration to other states such as Victoria and Queensland.

On the Ship Irene arriving in New South Wales on 16 October 1852 were Michael McNamara (age 30, born Tullagh, County Clare), his wife Mary McNamara (age 28, born Tomgraney, Clare), and their two children Thomas (age 9) and Margaret (age 5) both born in "Tullagh, Tomgraney, County Clare" as per records below from NSW State Archives:

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook ... 0.jpg&No=8

I believe the above passenger listing is only an index, as ancestry.com had a more complete passenger listing for the Ship Irene which included the parents of Michael McNamara (age 30) as Thomas and Margaret "both dead". The parents of Mary McNamara (age 28) were reported as Patrick and Judith Griffin of Tomgraney, Ireland (I assume both still living). Ancestry.com for this record states that the ship arrived on 17 December 1852 which is different from the NSW Archives record. The Sydney Morning Herald of 18 October 1852 reported news on the arrival of the Ship Irene:
The Irene, from Liverpool, has made the passage in 97 days, having been detained eight days on the coast with northerly winds. She brings 398 Government emigrants; her original number was 434, but 34 deaths had occurred; 30 of them were children and 4 adults. The cases were principally fever and measles. The had also been eight births during the voyage. The ship appears in a very cleanly state, and the passengers all healthy.

The Sydney Morning Herald, 18 October 1852 (per trove newspaper website)
In the Tulla baptism register the only parents that would match the birth of Michael McNamara in 1822 would be Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins. Unfortunately, the baptism pages for the period March 1822 through August 1825 have been torn from the Tulla baptism register. However based upon there not being any other Margaret married to a Thomas McNamara, I believe that Michael McNamara (born 1822) would be the younger brother of Thomas McNamara #5 (born 1821). Also, of the 5 families listed from Glandree that had sons named Thomas, the father of 3 of them was named Michael. Thomas McNamara (father of Tom Mac#5) is likely the brother of one of these Michael McNamara's and would have named a son after him.

Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins had 8 children (including Michael) between 1821 and through to 1840. They were probably both born about 1800. From the Ship Irene passenger listing, we know that they were both dead by 1852. This would have left their youngest son John, born 1840, an orphan at a young age. Further research might indicate that other members of this McNamara family immigrated to Australia and perhaps even Thomas Mac#5?

After arriving at the above conclusions, I searched member submitted family trees on ancestry.com and discovered a good match that is well documented. Michael McNamara and Mary Griffin ended up in Cardiff in New South Wales not far from Newcastle. According to their tree, Michael (born 1814) died in 1864, and Mary Griffin McNamara (born 1817) died in 1893. Their two Irish born children are exact, the family has photos of Mary Griffin and children - it is definitely the same family as the Ship Irene passenger listing.

However, the birth years are both off by about 8 years; they appear not to have discovered the 1852 passenger listing that has Michael born in 1822 (not 1814) and Mary born in 1824 (not 1817). But more importantly, they have the parents of Michael McNamara as Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hickey. The Australia Death Index of 1864 only states parents as Thomas and Margaret. Perhaps the actual certificate provides the Hickey surname? Given the large discrepancy in birth years, I would still consider Margaret Hawkins as a possibility for the mother of this Michael McNamara. Assuming 1822 is the correct birth year, a Margaret Hickey married to a Thomas McNamara does not appear in the register during this period. The death record for Thomas McNamara could have the incorrect mother's maiden name for the following reasons:

1) In scribbled handwriting it might be easy to confuse Hawkins with Hickey?

2) A strong Irish accent of "Hawkins" might sound like "Hickey" if an Australian assisted with the death record? The widow Mary Griffin McNamara could read but not write according to the 1852 passenger listing.

3) Mary Griffin McNamara gave the incorrect name for her mother-in-law's maiden name? Their son Thomas was 9 years old in 1852, so born about 1843. Mary Griffin was from Tuamgraney and they were likely married at this parish about 1841 or 1842. The 8th and youngest child John of Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins was born in 1840 in Glandree. It is possible that Margaret Hawkins died soon after during the famine years? The most likely explanation is that her daughter-in-law in Tuamgraney, a considerable walk from Glandree, had little opportunity to know the Hawkins family of Tulla and made a simple mistake on the death record by reporting Hickey.

To conclude, I'm not sure if knowing that the parents of Thomas McNamara #5 died prior to 1852 will be an important clue in the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree. Perhaps it indicates a family that was in distress during the famine years and any surviving children would be likely to immigrate?

Edit 1 on 9 February 2024: transcribed SMH news article which had been an attachment (160KB) to save space.
Last edited by Jimbo on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Jim

I read all of that with interest.
I have a quibble with your grafting of Michael McNamara so completely into the family of Thomas McNamara and Margaret Hawkins, but I can see your reasoning: there are some pages missing for those years when they were having their children, so there’s bound to be at least one of their children recorded in those lost pages and, since they have no other Micheal, that child might indeed have been called Michael and born about 1822. Nevertheless Michael needs a question mark after his name in any inclusion of him in that family.
What’s good, though, is that you have a chapter two, where Michael McNamara and Mary Griffin* are found by their descendants. There is no doubt that they are the same couple, because the maiden name of the mother is Griffin, and because their children correspond exactly.
The problem arises with the birth year of Michael. Is it 1814 (as per death record), or 1822 (as per ships manifest)? Going on the fact that Michael and Mary had only two children by 1852, aged 9 and 5, I think it’s a bit more likely that Michael and Mary were aged about 30 (in 1852) than that they were aged 38 and 35. But of course it’s possible that they’d had children who had died (yes, I’m forever killing people off). If Michael had returned to Tulla with his bride, Mary Griffin, as was usual, why is there no record of the baptisms of their children in the Tulla records? The eldest, Thomas McNamara, was born about 1843, and Margaret was born about 1847. I wonder if he moved in with the Griffins for a while. The birth place of the children as "Tullagh, Tomgraney" might be a kind of compromise address.
Another problem is why the death cert for Michael has his mother as Margaret Hickey. Well, if Michael was born in 1814 and there is no record of his birth because the Tulla parish register starts at 1819, we must allow that his mother might have been Margaret Hickey. But it’s also possible that Michael’s wife gave the wrong name, as you suggest. If Michael did not return to Tulla after his marriage, maybe his wife never met his mother.

*Griffith’s Valuation shows several Griffins in Fossa Beg and Fossa More, in Tomgraney parish. There’s one family of Griffins in Fossamore in 1901 and one family in Fossabeg.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 am

Oh Sheila of little faith!

I reckon it will take a DNA match to convince you, but here is some more evidence about the birth years of Michael McNamara and Mary Griffin to support my Hawkins theory. Of course I could be incorrect about Margaret Hawkins, but at least the McNamara descendants can learn of the Ship Irene their ancestors arrived to Australia in 1852.

Michael McNamara and Mary Griffin had two additional children in NSW: Michael (1853 - 1853), and Mary Ann (1856 - 1866). This might support the accuracy of the later birth years on the immigration record (versus family tree/death record) for Michael being age 30 (not 38) and his wife Mary being age 28 (not 35) in 1852. Generally, in reviewing the 1852 passenger lists, the immigrants to Australia appear to be on the younger side of thirty. You might argue that this is why Michael and Mary provided false ages on the shipping records, but there is other evidence supporting the later birth years ...

Mary Griffin was the eldest child of a family of seven. Next were (twin?) sisters born about 1834 in Tuamgraney: Susan Griffin (settled in Scotland) and Jane Griffin (settled in Australia). The next child was a sister Kate Griffin born about 1836 who first settled in Scotland but eventually with her family emigrated to Australia. The Griffin sisters appear to have remained in contact with each other. Then on the family tree were three children born in Tuamgraney (two sons Patrick & Michael; and a daughter Judith who died in infancy) but their birth years or other information is not provided. They are placed chronologically as the youngest, but this might not be accurate. The gap between the first born child and the daughters in 1834 would be huge if Mary Griffin was really born in 1819 versus 1826. Also of note, Jane Griffin died in 1923 at the age of 89 so it is doubtful she could have been born much earlier than 1834.

The fact that the two children of Michael McNamara and Mary Griffin born in County Clare prior to 1852 do not appear in the Tulla baptism register means that the married couple likely settled in Tuamgraney. Where unfortunately, the baptism register starts much later. No other information is known of the McNamara family (siblings etc), while lots of information & photos is known about the Griffin sisters. This again points to the married couple settling in Tuamgraney. Perhaps Mary Griffin had very little contact with her mother-in-law (who could have died anytime between 1840 and 1852) and this led to the incorrect mother's maiden name on Michael McNamara's death record in 1864: Margaret Hickey versus Margaret Hawkins.

Getting back to the search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree, the only evidence the NSW immigration record of Michael McNamara might possibly provide is that the parents of Thomas Mac#5 died prior to 1852. But I suppose it also highlights how even when researching for a missing American Civil War soldier, information can be gleaned from records as far away as Australia. The search for the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree has truly gone international.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am

I have no idea whether this little bit of Hawkins history (saved years ago as involving McMahon) will help but I better throw it in the pot to avoid feeling that I stayed mum when I shouldn't. Actually, Forum member Tom McDowell may have far more on Hawkins of Tulla since his Brett family's history mixes with that family back in this time period.

Also throwing in a death mention of a Hickey nee McNamara of Tulla, in Brooklyn NY, unfortunately no age given.

Good luck with your continued quest.

SMC

Info wanted of Thomas, Patrick, and Timothy HAWKINS of Cluna, near Tulla, County Clare, Ireland; their father's name John Hawkins; mother's name Mary McMAHON. Thomas and Patrick were heard from about 45 or 50 years ago; Timothy was heard from 40 years ago and was then in Sydney, Australia. Info...received by Thomas Hawkins, Sedwig, Harvey County, Kansas.
4 Nov 1899 Irish World and American Industrial Liberator

note: Mary Malony is evidently the sister of the two unmarried McMahon passengers.
"Emigrant" voyage, Plymouth to MORETON BAY, AUSTRALIA. Arrived 8 Aug 1850
http://members. tip.net.au/ ~phodge/list. htm
MALONY, Michael 25 Farm Laborer County Clare Brother in Sydney
Mary 23 Wife " Parents Thomas & Ann McMANN
McMAHON, Julia 21 " County Clare Sister on Board
McMAHON, Biddy 20 " " "
Hawkins, Timothy 32 Farm Laborer County Clare Brother in Pt Phillip

1880 Kansas Harvey Co., Burton [apparently 1930 Oakland CA]
Thomas HAWKINS other,S 40 IRE Section Hand RR
Hickey nee McN of Tulla, 1902 Bklyn.jpg
Hickey nee McN of Tulla, 1902 Bklyn.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 178390 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:41 am

Hi Sharon

Thomas, Patrick and Timothy Hawkins of Cluna, near Tulla, belong to the townland of Rylane, in the parish of Clooney, and they are indeed the children of John Hawkins and Mary McMahon. The Clooney baptisms 1816-1855 give the address as Knockaroe usually, and only once as Rylane, but Knockaroe was an old name for part of Rylane. A Patrick Hawkins was baptised in 1832, his brother Thady in 1838, and his brother Thomas in 1839.
The townland of Rylane was sometimes described as being in Tulla parish. The middle part of Rylane is an uphill (mountainous) area and most of the population at the eastern end of Ryland lived in a village (just of houses) called Derrynagullion. This is very close to Maghera* church and school, which was the church and school the Rylane/Knockaroe/Derrygullion people would have attended. The townland of Maghera, in Clooney parish, is at the boundary with Tulla parish. And, I suppose, because the catchment area for Maghera church and school included some of Tulla parish, Maghera is often described as being in Tulla. See this piece written in the 1930s for the Folklore Commission: https://www.duchas.ie/ga/cbes/5177634/5174654/5188610
*There are other townlands called Maghera in Co. Clare.

Hi Jim

Yes the birthyears of the siblings of Mary Griffin show that it is much more likely that she was born in 1824 than in 1817. I looked at the Griffins who remained in Fossamore and Fossabeg, and who might possibly be her relatives. There’s a Joseph Griffin in Fossabeg 1901, aged 66 – he died in 1909 aged 76 – so was born about 1834. The marriage of a Joseph Griffin was registered in Scarriff in 1866, but the image is not available to view. Some day it will become viewable and we will find out if Joseph’s father is Patrick Griffin.
The Catholic parish of Scarriff and Moynoe also covers some of Tomgraney civil parish, so the parish register shows some records for the Griffins. The baptisms (1852-1872) show that Joseph Griffin and and Kath Molony, Fossabeg, had a son, Andrew, baptised Feb.17, 1867.
Equally, Mary might be from the Grffin family in Fossamore. In the parish records, Fossabeg seems to be usually called Fossabeg, but Fossamore seems to be usually called Derrymore, a place which lies within the townland of Fossa More: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 1L11L20L12* . And the surname Griffin is sometimes spelled “Griffey”.
The marriages (1852-1872) show a Pat Griffin, Derrymore, as witness to a couple of marriages in 1854. This may be Mary’s father and, if so, it confirms that he was still alive when she was emigrating.

I’m afraid I’m finding out more about Mary Griffin, just as her descendants did, than about Michael McNamara.
One thing that suggests that Michael McNamara and Mary Griffin were not too badly off is that they were able to afford the ticket to Australia - it was more expensive than the ticket to America, I believe.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks Sharon for the clippings from your files as you never know if their might be a connection. The Thomas McNamara of Steuben County in the 1875 census that you provided a few months ago has been proven to indeed be from Tulla.

And Sheila, thanks for looking into the Griffin family of Tuamgraney parish. Mary Griffin McNamara appears to have had a brother named Patrick. This might be the Patrick and not the father Patrick Griffin who is listed as a witness on the marriage records you found in 1854. The brother Patrick was likely born in the late 1820's or 1830's - a perfect age to be a witness at 1854 marriages.

And about your last comment that passage to Australia was more expensive than to America, Michael and Mary McNamara traveled to Australia as "assisted passengers". I believe unassisted passage to the USA would be more expensive than assisted passage for free immigrants to Australia.

I had a look at another passenger listing of "bounty immigrants" on the Ship Woolbridge that arrived in Sydney on 8 March 1842. The NSW bounty index ends in 1842 so this appears to be the last year of the bounty system of immigration to New South Wales. Under this system the future employer paid the passage of the immigrants and would be reimbursed by the government after the immigrants remained for a set period of time. Each immigrant on the Ship Woolbridge has two pages of information including: specific birth location; parents name; age; person certifying registry of baptism; character description and person certifying; state of health and person certifying; religion; read or write capability; employer (sponsor of bounty). While Australia may have been cheaper to immigrate to as a bounty immigrant, they definitely appear to have been more selective on who they let into their colony compared to America (this relates to free immigrants, not the convicts).

Below is an index to the passenger listing (without the detailed info):
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook ... Woodbridge

Included were three passengers from Tulla, Clare:
1) Michael McNamara (age 26) from Tully, Clare (parents "Cornelius & Catherine mother alive").
2) his wife Winifred McNamara (age 20) from Tully, Clare (parents "Michael & Mary O'Donnell both alive")

Michael's baptism would be in 1816, prior to the start of the Tulla baptism register in 1819. Winifred's baptism would be in 1822 which is part of the missing period March 1822 through August 1825. The Rev. P. Sheehy (spelling?) of Tulla was able to certify both births, so at least we know a complete register existed in 1842.

"Cornelius" is an odd name for a McNamara in Tulla and I could find no other. It was difficult to read, so took the liberty of taking the below screen print for confirmation. Winifred would most surely be the child of Michael O'Donnell and Mary Malone of Moymore who had other children born between 1819 and 1835. I didn't look for her death record in Australia which might state otherwise!

3) Mary Sullivan, under the protection of the above Michael McNamara, age 21, from Tully Clare, parents "Michael & Mary both alive".

It is this Mary Sullivan that surprisingly leads to new information in the search for the missing Thomas McNamara.

Michael Sullivan (of Knockanebane) married Mary Cusack (of Moymore) in Tulla parish on 17 April 1820 (three witnesses John Cusack, John Cusack, and Michael McMahon). Their daughter Mary Sullivan was baptized on 9 July 1821, residence Moymore; witnesses Pat Halloran and Cath Sullivan. Their son James Sullivan was baptized on 6 December 1825, residence Tiredagh, witnesses John and Anne Cusack. Perhaps another child was born in the missing baptism period around 1823?

But after 1825, there are no further baptisms for the Sullivan's in the Tulla register. I believe Michael Sullivan died in the late 1820's leaving Mary Cusack a widow and that she is the bride in the below marriage:

Michael McNamara (of Cragnagarraha) married Mary Cusack (of Moymore) in Tulla parish on 14 February 1830; witnesses John Ready and Peter Lillis. They went on to have the following children John (1831), Michael (1835), Margaret (1837), and Mathew (1840). I had these children listed under Thomas Mac #3 in my original listing of "16 Tom Mac's". Their residence is Teereera, same as the birth of James Sullivan in 1825.

So in 1842 when Mary Sullivan stated that her parents "Michael and Mary" are still living, I believe she is referring to her stepfather Michael McNamara.

In looking back at my chart, I believe Thomas Mac #3 the son of "Michael Mac" and "Mary Cusack" of Glandree is of a completely different family. He was baptized (not out of wedlock) on 5 April 1829, prior to the marriage of Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack (of Moymore) on 14 February 1830. One question is the Mary baptized 19 April 1833 to "Michael Mac" and "Mary Cusack" of Tulla (unclear location?). I think she might be the younger brother of Thomas born in Glandree. The twice married Mary Cusack of Moymore would not have one daughter named Mary Sullivan and another named Mary McNamara?

If the Catholic marriage registers in Tulla included whether either party was a widow or widower like most other countries do, this would have provided conclusive evidence. With my lastest theory (which can't be proven 100% just now) what is the connection between Michael McNamara (age 26) and Mary Sullivan (age 21) on the Ship Woolbridge in 1842? Was the connection simply that they both lived in Moymore?

Thomas McNamara #3, the son of Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack, appeared to have only one sister so this Thomas was never a top contender to be the missing Civil War soldier who had two sisters in Barnsley, Yorkshire and Wawarsing, New York. However, with the bifurcation of the Thomas McNamara #3 family, it does raise the question why the Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack of Glandree had just one (Thomas) or possibly two (with Mary) children? And where is their marriage prior to 1829? Did Mary Cusack of Glandree die young and did Michael Mac remarry? Is it even possible that Thomas McNamara #3 had a half sister Mary McNamara Madigan who settled in Barnsley and another half sister Elizabeth McNamara Hornbeck in Wawarsing where the missing Civil War soldier was last seen on furlough?
Attachments
1842 Woolbridge parents of Michael McNamara.jpg
1842 Woolbridge parents of Michael McNamara.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 178368 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:56 am

Hi Jim

Yes, it does appear there’s one couple, Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack, in Glendree, and another couple, Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack, in Teereera.
I think that scribbled name must be Cornelius – at least I can’t imagine what else it could be.
About the relationship between Michael McNamara who went to Australia in 1842 and Mary Sullivan who was under his protection: I looked at Cragnagarraha/Cragnaganah (in the transcriptions) and saw that there’s a James Cusack married to Anne McNamara, so there may be a connection there somewhere. Tithes shows that Cragnaganahy is a sub-division of the townland of Ballyblood, which is at the most southerly point of Tulla parish – Ballyblood lies between the townlands of Derrymore East and Derrymore West (you will remember Patrick McNamara who married Delia Mealy in Lowell came from Derrymore East). When I was looking at the sub-divisions of Ballyblood (by going to Tulla parish and then to Tithes: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... la_tab.htm) I noticed that Tierara is another of the subdivisions. I had always thought that Tireera was another spelling of Tyredagh, but now having to rethink that. Now I am realizing that Teerera was very close to Craganaganah – both being sub-divisions of Ballyblood.

Anyway, as you say, the upshot of it all is that the siblings you have entered for Thomas Mac, son of Michael Mac and Mary Cusack, are not his siblings, and he appears to be an only child of that couple (It seemed like Mary of Michael Mac and Mary Cusack from Tulla(?) born 1833 might be a sister, but I looked at the original at the very end of page 50 of the baptism register and I can see now that the residence is Tirera – not Tulla).

If Mary Cusack died soon after Thomas’ birth in 1829, did Michael Mac marry again? There’s a Michael McNamara from Glandree who married Mary Walsh from Glandree in 1835. Of course we have no way of knowing if this Michael is the same one. And anyway the transcriptions show just one son for that couple (John McNamara born Nov. 1835 - p. 68 righthand side online), so no two half-sisters there for Thomas.
Then I wondered if Mary Cusack had been a second wife to Michael and decided he might had had children by a previous marriage, including daughters who might be step-sisters to baby Thomas. But then I remembered that we already know Mary McNamara Madigan in Barnsley was born about 1840.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 pm

I just want to correct something I said earlier this thread (page 2):
In looking for the baptisms of the McNamara heads-of-household in 1901 Glendree, I said that Lawrence McNamara was the son of Bridget Foley and Michael McNamara. That should have been MARTIN McNamara – not Michael. I hope I haven’t caused any confusion. Martin married Bridget Foley in 1826 and they had at least 8 children: Mary b. 1829, Laurence b. 1831, Margaret b. 1834, Martin b. 1836, Catherine b. 1839, Margaret b. 1842, Andrew b. 1843 and Michael b. 1846. Martin McNamara had died by the time of Griffith’s Valuation - Bridget is listed as leasing plot 45 (10 acres, one rood, 10 perches). The farm transferred to her son Laurence. He married Honora Molony, and they had at least 6 children between 1862 and 1876, including Michael who was born 1864. The 1921 Rate Book shows that this farm remained intact for all of the 70 intervening years: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ee_ded.htm
The farm was still in Lawrence’s name in 1921, which I wondered at, because he is aged 80 in 1911 and it is his son Michael who is head of household. And then I found the death of Lawrence in 1922, at the grand old aged of 92 (Registered Tulla - Scarriff Union). There may be something in that poem by Alexander Pope that we learned at school:
“Happy the man, whose wish and care
A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breathe his native air,
In his own ground”.

Of course, only a select few got to stay in their own ground. It’s clear that many of the children of Martin and Bridget went away – and likewise, in the next generation, many of the children of Lawrence and Honora.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:46 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your continued help. You certainly put a quick squash to my cliffhanger that Thomas McNamara #3 might have some half-sisters in Barnsley and Wawarsing! And thanks for clarifying that the Mary McNamara born in 1833 was from Teereera. Regarding Michael versus Martin McNamara, on page 3 with my table of various McNamara's, "Family C" was Martin McNamara and Bridget Foley. So I wouldn't worry about anyone possibly getting confused reading this thread.

On google maps "Teereera" is reported as "Tyrera" and is just north of Lough Culluanyheeda and indeed very close to Ballyblood. There were several "Moymore" locations in County Clare to confuse me, but the one in Tulla I believe is near Lissofin and about half way between Tyrera and Tyredagh in Tulla.

Sharon has noted several Cusacks and a McNamara among the Munmore (Moymore) tenants of the Wyndham estate who obtained assisted passage in 1839/1840 to Couborg, Ontario province, Canada here:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=1601

Now that you have made the distinction between Tyredagh and Teereera, I am not so sure that Mary Cusack of Moymore is the widow of Michael Sullivan (of Knockanebane, Tyredagh) who then married Michael McNamara (of Craganaganah, near Teereera). I had previously noted that their son James Sullivan was born in Tyredagh, the same location as the McNamara children in Teereera - but these are now clearly separate locations about 10 km's apart. So perhaps just a coincidence? Although Mary Cusack is identified as being from Moymore in both marriages, and this would explain the small number of Sullivan children born to Michael and Mary Sullivan.

All this talk of Sullivan's and place names in Tulla, is bringing back memories of Catholic school days. The nuns taught my class an Irish song to sing to the monsignor (a Sullivan born in County Cork) on the occasion of his birthday. The nuns said if we sang in tones so sweet and low, it would remind him of the way his mother used to sing to him many years ago. The lyrics were very simple and I can remember them perfectly to this day. But it was only with this discussion that I realize the Irish song has its roots in County Clare. Mary Cusack Sullivan McNamara would likely have sung the song to her own children:

Tulla Teereera, Tulla Teereera,
Tulla Teereera, hush now, don't you cry,
Tulla Teereera, Tulla Teereera,
Tulla Teereera, that's an Irish lullaby.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Again I have a smidgin of info not really bearing on what you need but perhaps of some use at some point. I had contact in 2016 with a Michael Cusack of Brooklyn NY on his family of Tyrera, a name written in records kept on the U.S. side of things. He also was having a hard time finding it, but it also was located as being along the Lake Cullaun in the southern portion of Ballyblood townland and bordered on the east by R462, the main road between Tulla village and Kilkishen. Note that just a little to the south of this area is the well-known townland of Teeronea, traditionally part of Kilkishen. All these names have been mangled at times, so it can be hard to know which of the three townlands (including Tyredagh) is involved. That's when you need to consider other surnames listed in a news item listing a mangled placename.

For that purpose, let me confirm the interwoven fabric of the McNamara and Cusack families of the Ballyblood area. The attachment has news items of the mid 1800s, and another attachment lists records for deaths of elderly men named Michael Cusack of Tyrera and then children's baptisms of the Michael Cusack/Mary McNamara family of the 1860s, Tyrera. (Perhaps that Mary McN. was the one born 1833.) Michael-of-Brooklyn's grandfather was John Cusack b. 1868 to her.

Over and out,
Sharon C.
Cusack of Tyrera 1800s.JPG
Cusack of Tyrera 1800s.JPG (75.41 KiB) Viewed 178291 times
Cusack records sent to Mike of Bklyn.JPG
Cusack records sent to Mike of Bklyn.JPG (48.36 KiB) Viewed 178291 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks, Sharon for those snippets. And belated thanks for the list of emigrants from Munmore/Moymore. Most of the surnames accord with the Moymore names in Tithes (1827) and with the surnames of children from Moymore in the Tulla parish baptisms (1819-1846), including Cusack and McNamara, of course, and also Reddan. There are only two emigrant surnames that are not in Tithes, nor in the Moymore baptisms: Rochford and Cunningham.
Thanks also for explaining were Teerera/Tyrera is.

Jim, even if we forget about the Sullivan connection, it is still looks like Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack of Glandree 1829, and Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack who married in 1830 and went to live in Teerera, are two separate couples.

Thomas McNamara, who has a one-third share in plot 3 in the Rate Book, must be the son b. in 1863 to Thomas McNamara and Bridget Hayes, Glendree. The 1901 census shows Thomas McNamara aged 72 his wife Bridget aged 68, their son Thomas aged 33, and their daughter Mary aged 31. That Thomas, aged 72 in 1901, was born in 1829, and most likely the son of the Michael McNamara who was sharing plot 3 with Patrick McNamara* as listed in Griffith’s Valuation. But is that Michael the one who was married to Mary Cusack, or is he the one who was married to Bridget McNamara?
Well my money is on Michael and Bridget, who were a constant in Glendree from 1827 to 1844 and probably up to the time of Griffith’s and beyond. But, if I am right in that, what then happened to Michael McNamara and Mary Cusack and their son Thomas b. 1829? That Michael is not in Griffith’s Valuation. Yes, there is another Michael McNamara** but he's not the husband of Mary Cusack. I notice that one of the sponsors at Thomas’ baptism is John Jones and wonder if this John Jones is a forebear of the John Jones who is owner of a one-third share of plot 3 in the 1921 Rate Book. If so, it would signify that the Joneses were longtime neighbours of the McNamaras in Glendree and that the priest did not make a mistake when he wrote “Glendree” after that baptism. The mystery continues.

*The 1901 census shows Patrick aged 91 and his son Michael living in Glendree. This Michael is the same Michael who is sharing plot 3 with Thomas McNamara and John Jones according to the 1921 Rate Book.

** Griffith's lists a Michael McNamara in plot 60, which lies in the south of the townland of Glendree. I believe that this is Michael McNamara, of Ugguen, who married Margaret Halpin, Baluhthera, 08.02.1853; witnesses: James McGrath, Lissofin, Margaret McInerny, Lisofin. At least I think they must be the same Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin whose address is Glendree for all of the baptisms of their children: Mary b. 1853, Margaret b. 1855, Andrew b. 1857, James b. 1858, Bridget b. 1861, John b. 1863, Anne b. 1865, Michael b. 1867, Catherine b. 1869, Ellen b. 1872 (Lower Glandree), William b. 1873.
This Michael died in Glandree, in 1889, aged 64, and the farm transferred to his son John, who is head of household in the 1901 census and married to Honorah (Corry). The 1921 Rate Book shows John as the owner of plot 60.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:22 am

Excellent work! With all confidence we can now conclude that the 72 year old Thomas McNamara living in Glandree in the 1901 Irish Census is Thomas McNamara #4, the son of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara.

Sheila, since I'm a little confused on who is who, I've updated your information from your May 10th posting by summarizing what we know (and don't know) about every McNamara living in Glandree in the 1901 Census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... /Glendree/

In Glendree (DED & townland):
House 5: Pat McNamara (age 91), his wife Kate (age 79), son Michael (age 48) & his family. This Pat is the oldest son of Michael McNamara & Bridget McNamara (Tom Mac family #4) who was born in 1827. Pat is exaggerating his age a bit in the 1901 census. Not sure of the maiden name of his wife Kate: perhaps Kate Foley? Their son Michael does not appear in the Tulla baptism records; not sure how many other children there were. Patrick and then his son Michael are listed in the Griffiths sharing Plot 3 with his brother Thomas, see below:

House 6: Thomas McNamara (age 72) with his wife Bridget (age 68) and their son Thomas (age 33) & daughter-in-law Mary (age 31). Thomas, Senior is the son of Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara baptized on 18 January 1829. Thomas McNamara married Bridget Hayes of Caher Feakle Parish on 17 February 1863 and had 6 children. Plot 3 on Griffiths as noted above. He is not the missing Civil War soldier.

House 13: James McNamara (age 65) with his wife Margaret (age 50) & 5 children. The civil record of his marriage (to Margaret Bowles) in 1871 shows he is a Carpenter from Glendree, that his father is James McNamara. James Jun. should be in the 1819 -1846 baptisms, but is not. James reported his age as 78 in 1911. His reported age was much older than his wife; perhaps he was in truth even older still and born in the missing baptism period March 1822 through September 1825? He might be the brother of Miles (baptized January 1820) and Mary (baptized December 1825) with parents James McNamara and Catherine Meany of Glandree. James does not appear on Griffiths.

House 17: Patrick McNamara (age 82); his widower son Patrick McNamara (age 52) & his 6 children along with his stepmother Winifred McMahon (age 82). The 82 year old Patrick McNamara is likely the son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara (Family B on a previous chart) who was baptized on 10 May 1820. Most likely Patrick McNamara, Senior married Bridget Tuohy; and Patrick. Jr. is their son born in 1837. Patrick, Jr. married Catherine McMahon in 1877. This family is listed on Plot 24 on Griffiths.

House 25: Lawrence McNamara (age 60), a widower, with his son Michael (age 27). This Lawrence was the son of Martin McNamara and Bridget Foley baptized in 1831 (Lawrence is 80 in 1911). He is leasing Plot 45 on Griffiths.

House 26: Pat McNamara (age 55) with his wife Ellen (age 47) & eight children. The civil record of his marriage (to Elleanora McMahon) in 1875 shows that he was from Glendree, a widower, and that his father was Andrew McNamara. Patrick's baptism record could be in the missing quarters of the Tulla register in either 1841 and 1843. But I have no idea who his father Andrew could be, this is a mystery. Patrick is possibly leasing Plot 48 on Griffiths.

House 30: John McNamara (age 30) with his wife Hanorah (age 25) & 3 children along with a sister Kate (age 20). The civil record of his marriage in 1897 (to Honora Corry) shows that his father was Michael. This John is likely the son of Michael McNamara and Margaret Halpin baptized in 1863. Michael, then his son John, were leasing Plot 60 on Griffiths. Michael McNamara died in 1889 at the age of 64. His baptism record would be recorded in the missing Tulla baptism period of March 1822 through September 1825. Michael named his eldest son Andrew born in 1857. Most likely Michael McNamara born about 1825 is the son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara (family B on prior chart).

[Up until this point the numerical order of the House numbers on the 1901 census, follow the numerical order on Griffiths. Not sure if this would be a coincidence or not.]

House 35: Andrew McNamara (age 60), his wife Margaret (age 60) & 3 sons. Parish records show he was married in 1861 to Margaret McEvoy. Andrew is most likely the youngest son of Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara born in 1835. Plot 47 on Griffiths.

House 36: Martin McNamara (age 42), his wife Mary (age 43) & two daughters along with stepfather Michael Maley (age 78). Not sure who this is? Martin is possibly leasing plot 45 on Griffiths. Michael Maley might be the stepfather of Mary McNamara and not her husband as reported on the census.

House 48: Anne McNamara (age 55), a widow, with her 3 sons. Anne is likely the widow of Matthew McNamara; parish records show that Anne Halpin married Matthew McNamara in 1867. The priest gives Mathew’s address as Uggoon; the record of his death in 1894 gives it as Glendree and age as 70. There is no record of his baptism (about 1824) as this baptism period is missing from the Tulla baptism register. If Matthew's age was exaggerated at his death in 1894, he might be the Matt born in 1838 to Michael McNamara and Bidget McNamara?

House 51: Denis Cooney (age 65), a widower, with his 3 sons. Denis was married to Johanna McNamara who was the daughter of either (1) Michael McNamara and Bridget McNamara born in 1832 or (2) Andrew McNamara and Bridget McNamara born in 1836. Plot 49 on Griffiths.

In Kilmore, Glendree:
House 1: Tim McNamara (age 50), his wife Bridget (age 50) & 3 children. In the 1911 census, no parents just two of the children are living in Kilmore.
House 2: James McNamara (age 64), his wife Bridget (age 45) & 10 children. In the 1911 census, James is a widower, 81 years old, living with 5 of his children.

In Uggoon Upper, Glendree:
House 3: Pat McNamara (age 53), a widower, and his 4 children. In the 1911 census, Patrick is 72 years old living with 3 of his children.

Most of the McNamara's who remained in Glandree in the 1901 Census appear to be descendants of either Michael McNamara & Bridget McNamara or else Andrew McNamara & Bridget McNamara. Not sure how these two couples would be related to each other.

With every McNamara of Glandree listed above in 1901 (excluding the children), can we determine who is the "Mr. McNamara" whose tragic death was reported in the 10 September 1904 Irish World newspaper of New York:
CLARE: Mr. McNamara, of Glandree, on Aug. 18 went to see a horse he had on graze, and which he was in the habit of hand feeding. After he had seen the animal, he left to go home. While speaking to a man on the road, the horse jumped through a gap and ran along the road. McNamara stood with the intention of stopping the horse. The horse struck him and knocked him. The other man seeing McNamara unconscious, had the priest and doctor sent for, but nothing could be done for him. He died two days after the occurrence.