Edited Account Books of O'Callaghan Estate Servants' Wages

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

janehallo

Edited Account Books of O'Callaghan Estate Servants' Wages

Post by janehallo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 pm

I have been to the National Library and have transcribed the Account Book for the O'Callaghan Estate. The Reference is MS 3250.
The book contains details of the hiring and discharging of servants, their wages and other useful information for family researchers. The book is edited due to some of the comments made about particular individuals. O'Callaghan noted that particular persons emigrated and where to, some died, and that was noted. There is useful information as to residence, etc.

smcarberry

Re: Edited Account Books of O'Callaghan Estate Servants' Wag

Post by smcarberry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Jane,

This is an exceedingly thoughtful gift, and posting it here will ensure maximum visibility for the moment. Please also consider donating it to the Clare County Library website, so that it can go into the genealogical section and be there for users far into the future, popping up in Google searches for "O'Callaghan." Since you are there in Tulla, I won't do a link to the website as I am sure you are familiar with the Library.

I have quickly looked it over for any of my family members (none) and see that it covers a total of 146 people hired between the years 1824 -1863. There are a few not-typical surnames, particularly among the governesses, but here is a familiar one, which I am summarizing in my own way:

Richard Barron, hired 1836, discharged (dismissed) 1840, pay: 20 [pounds, I assume] per year, position: steward & gardener, apparently took over for Patrick Kennedy, who was discharged 1836 at a pay rate of 30 per year

Thanks very much,
Sharon Carberry

AileenVicWynne

Post by AileenVicWynne » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Many thanks Jane.

janehallo

Post by janehallo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks Sharon & Aideen. I'm in contact with Peter and Brian on a regular basis and they had encouraged me to upload this. They also have a copy which I'm hoping will be uploaded in the near future.

Thanks for your encouragement!!

Jane

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 am

Thank you for this awesome resource!
Wish it applied to my family but it sure is a fascinating read!
Susan