Gavin family Tulla

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

LindaGavin288

Gavin family Tulla

Post by LindaGavin288 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

Hi, I am new to this Forum and recently broke part of my brick wall with help from an older post transcribing registers. Sorry I can not remember the transcriber name but I really do appreciate all the work that has been done in the Tulla register.

My Patrick Francis Gavin was born in Tulla about 1843.
Father Michael Gavin Mother Anne McNamara both born about 1810 but I can not confirm this.
Siblings Thomas born 1830, Anne 1834, Bridget 1836, all born in Clonlohan. Mary Gavin 1844 born Tulla.

Father Michael Gavin had a brother Thadeus (Thady) Gavin who had at least 2 children, Michael born 1844 Tulla and Bridget Gavin born 1844. Both this Michael and Bridget emigrated with my Patrick Francis Gavin to Sydney Australia 1860.

They were all sponsored by a cousin in Sydney Margaret Lyons. Patrick was on the ship Tudor 1860 that left from Kilmore Tipperary.

When they emigrated my Patricks father was dead and mother still alive in Tulla.

If anyone has any of these name in their family tree, I would love any information.

Linda

Sduddy

Re: Gavin family Tulla

Post by Sduddy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi Linda

I’m afraid I can’t give you very much about this family. All I can say is that there is very little evidence that any of the children* remained in Tulla.
There’s a very useful map (GenMap), which you see once you go on www.clarelibrary.ie. If you click on that and then click again (but not on a dot) and wait a minute, a panel will appear on the left-hand side. Click on People and enter Gavin and the name will appear underneath. Click on that and go to the bottom of the panel and choose whether you want all the Gavins who appear in the Tithe records, or all those who appear in Griffith’s, or all those who appear in the 1901 census. If you want further information, click on the X and you will be guided to that in the panel on the right-hand side. When you have done that, then enter Gavan and repeat the process.
By entering Gavin, I found that there was an Edmund Gavin age 75 in Ballyblood in Tulla parish in 1901. This is of some significance as an Edmund Gavin appears in the baptism records as sponsor for Bridget Gavin in 1836. By entering Gavan, I found that there were three in Tulla (in Tithes) all in Ballyblood and I noticed that Ballyblood enclosed two smaller townlands, Clonlohan and Tierara. All of which makes me think that Edmund was a remnant of your Gavin extended family.

I looked at the civil records of Births Deaths and Marriages for Tulla Registration District, and found only the death of a Mary Gavin in 1868 at age 85 and she is too old to be the Mary who was the mother of the children (and who you believe was born about 1810). Registration did not become law until 1864, so it may be that Mary died sometime between 1860 and 1864. Also some people died in the Workhouse in Ennis (the nearest thing to a public hospital at the time). So I looked for the death of a Mary Gavin in the registration district of Ennis and found a Mary Gavin who died in 1884, aged 73, widow of a shoemaker; her address is Lemeneigh and the informant is her son Michael, also from Lemeneigh. There is no Lemeneigh in Tulla, however, so that’s not very helpful.

*You mention Thomas, Anne, Bridget and Mary as siblings, but Michael is also there in the baptisms as the son of Michael Gavin and Nancy Mac (a version of Anne McNamara) and also Pat, who must be your Patrick Francis. Patrick Francis was still young at the time of the Great Famine, 1845- 1850, and having endured that dreadful time was probably very glad to get away.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 am

Hi Linda again

I got in a muddle there – I should have been looking for the death of Anne Gavin – not Mary. But I can't find the death of Anne Gavin either.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 am

How's about this one?
Name NANCE GAVIN
Year of Death 1867
Group Registration ID N/R
SR District/Reg Area Tulla
Deceased Age at Death 60
Returns Year 1867
Returns Quarter 1
Returns Volume No 4
Returns Page No 415

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Murf

I can’t believe my stupidity. I saw that record and it didn’t register with me.

Here might be the reason: I noticed that the landlord for both of the Gavins mentioned in Griffiths was Col. Wyndham, so I looked at West Sussex Record Office Online Catalogue and entered PHA 4548 in the Quick Search and got that very long list of Wyndham tenants which was made in 1848, and I noticed a Nancy Gavin in Lissofine, Clonlohan (yearly rent: £4.19s.10d.). I think I must have decided that this Nancy was of the older generation and that idea stuck in my brain. Now I realize that she is probably the mother of Patrick Francis Gavin and all the other children and that she was probably already a widow in 1848. But will be keeping the brain unstuck.

Sheila

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 am

Hi Linda - did your Patrick Gavin marry a Mary Ann Martin in NSW? If so, I think we have a common relation in his son Patrick.

Kerry

LindaGavin288

Post by LindaGavin288 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 am

Thank you all so much for all the help.

I will start looking into these other names.

My Patrick married in Sydney to Bridget Gaffney from Cavan.

He owned a pub in Sydney at the Rocks called the Emerald Isle and he purchased from an Eliza Gavin. I am not sure if there is a connection yet.

Thanks
Linda