Children of Irish bounty immigrants to Australia

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

moranding

Children of Irish bounty immigrants to Australia

Post by moranding » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:17 am

Many forum readers will be aware of an the amazing Caroline Chisholm who ,in 19th century Australia had a special concern for families in which children were separated following emigration of parents .
Bounty immigrant parents had to pay extra for each child accompanying them and so children were sometimes left at home with family.

A ship The Sir Edward Parry bought some of these Clare children to Sydney and Melbourne in 1848 Caroline organised this project which commenced in 1846 with parents in Australia starting the application process The children had of course had to be located,relinquished,and prepared for the journey from Plymouth.
The Melbourne children were as follows
Brew children from Kilrush,OConnell from Kilmacduane,and King from Killuran .The journey continued to Sydney were the following children were collected.
Kelleher from Quin and Newmarket,Connell from Ballynacally,Flannery and Clancy from Scarrif

Would members think this journey may have been newsworthy at the time in Ireland? I am interested in the King family of Killuran. Julie King

Sduddy

Re: Children of Irish bounty immigrants to Australia

Post by Sduddy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi Julie

Thanks for that interesting posting. I don’t think Caroline Chisholm has come up in this forum until now. I checked this website: http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and clicked on “Explore Publications” and scrolled down and clicked on the Freeman’s Journal, a national newspaper with countrywide distribution. I entered “Chisholm” in Search and got a few thumbnails on Caroline Chisholm. So, yes, she was reported on in the papers here. But there does not seem to be anything about her, or her project, in the Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser. Among the thumbnails, I think I saw just one indirect reference to her.

Sheila

moranding

Post by moranding » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:34 am

Thanks Sheila for your efforts
There is quite a bit of information about the voyage- carefully supervised by a teacher, doctor and matron.
The excellent free online website TROVE- (historical Australian newspapers and journals etc) has some information.
I am intrigued to think of the journey of the children,some had siblings,but Ellen King was 7or 8 yrs old -how did she get to Plymouth ?and generally manage the 3 mnth voyage.
Caroline Chisholm was a very interesting character- a lot written about her if you have the time to pursue this
Julie

murf

Post by murf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:31 am

Hi Julie
Rather embarrassed to admit that I knew of Caroline Chisholm, but knew virtually nothing about her until I read her story in the Australian Dictionary of Biography
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/chisholm-caroline-1894
Helps to explain why she is featured on our $5 note. :oops:
The Connell children, Bridget & Maurice, are listed as coming from Listeen(or Lisheen), Clare.
When searching the meeting reports of the Killadysert Board of Guardians, I remember noticing that the Board on occasions provided assistance to deserving cases who wished to emigrate. Perhaps Ellen King received some supplementary assistance from the local Guardians.

moranding

Post by moranding » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 am

Yes Murf. Perhaps extra support was given to the children.

I am curious to seek out any local Australian records ,also the Colonial office records in London if these exist. It seems the parents application was first with local bureaucracy(in Victoria it was a Superintendant )then to London to the Colonial office.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:34 pm

I’ve found a reference to Caroline Chisholm via a piece about Vere Foster in the cornucopia of interesting items that is Gerard Madden’s book, ‘The Annals of the Poor” (2017). (For an outline of Vere Foster’s life see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vere_Henry_Louis_Foster). He was a member of the British Diplomatic Service, but, Madden says, “after visiting Ireland in 1847 he devoted his life and personal fortune to the betterment of the Irish people”. In order to alleviate some of the suffering caused by the famine he financed an emigration scheme – with a difference. “He selected from amongst the most destitute families the most likely member to assist the remainder … and, with the help of some subscribers to the scheme, paid for his or her expenses to America … One hundred and thirty five people were selected". The idea was that these people would, in due course, send money to enable others in their families to emigrate too. Madden lists several people from the Feakle area who duly sent money home.

I googled “Vere Foster Feakle” and found his report http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/46905 which lists subscribers to the scheme and I notice that Caroline Chishom heads the list.

Sheila

moranding

Post by moranding » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:05 am

Hi Sheila
Thanks for the post and information re Vere Foster .Interesting that Caroline Chisholm was a subscriber to his scheme.- The plight of less fortunate Irish( women and children especially) ,seemed to inspire her to act.
There still exists in Melbourne today an organisation in her name,which supports families.

Julie