Meelick and Parteen Catholics 1868

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

matthewmacnamara

Meelick and Parteen Catholics 1868

Post by matthewmacnamara » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:29 pm

In the aftermath of the Fenian Rising of 1867 the question of the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland arose. Gladstone had disestablishment passed into law in 1869.
At a meeting of Catholics held in Limerick in March 1868 to advocate the disendowment of the Established Church the following deputation from the parishes of Parteen and Meelick attended: Rev Garrett O’Sullivan, PP, Rev Jeremiah Halpin CC , R.Holmes, John Holmes, Peter MacNamara, Michael Ryan, Pat Frost, Patrick Lane, John Lane, Thomas Grady, John Carroll, Stephen Sheehan, Charles O’Neill, Michael O’Neill, William Small, Michael Hartigan, Michael Connelly, Michael Mannix, Lawrence Frost, Richard Ryan, James Collins, John Ringrose, Wm Frost, John Collins, Morty Quinn, Frank Shaughnessy, Matt Brophy, Thomas Connell, Austen Brennan, Andrew Brennan, Andrew White, Solomon Frost, W. White, John Hickey, Michael Grimes, and Pat Hickey. [Limerick Chronicle, March 26, 1868]

cityfitz

Re: Meelick and Parteen Catholics 1868

Post by cityfitz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi Matthew

I in the middle of fully transcribing the Parteen and Meelick Parish Records, which will be available in April 2019 on this site, the names that you are quoting within this article (obviously) appear in the registers.

Take Care

Jeff Fitzsimmons

matthewmacnamara

Re: Meelick and Parteen Catholics 1868

Post by matthewmacnamara » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Dear Jeff,
Thanks for your response.

I have two further lists of 1860 and 1864
farmers from the half parish of Meelick.
I you wish, I can print and post them to you.

My mother's family were Ringrose from the Meelick townland of
Buaile na Casca [Boulanacausk] where they still farm.