Help with Miniter research

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

jross

Help with Miniter research

Post by jross » Fri May 05, 2023 9:54 pm

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am hoping someone can help me with my research into my paternal family tree, the Miniters from County Clare. I realize that “Miniter” is a rare name so I am probably related somehow to all Miniters in Clare! But I would like to know which branch of Miniters I am descended from.
Here is what I know: my great-grandfather was Edward Miniter. He was born in April 1857 in Feakle, and died August 7, 1920 in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada. His parents were Patrick Miniter, born about 1837 in Clare, and Mary McNamara. They married February 19, 1857 in Caher Feakle. By 1871, Patrick was living in Batley, Yorkshire (without Edward). Patrick was listed as a lodger and a widower. I have not been able to find a death record for Mary. Patrick died in March 1902 and is buried in Batley cemetery.
Meanwhile, in April 1879 Edward enlisted with the Royal Munster Fusiliers in Ennis. He remained with them until 1889, when he married Bridget Fitzgerald and immigrated to Canada.
I have not been able to discover: who Patrick’s parents were, or what happened to Edward’s mother, or whether Edward has any siblings. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

kbarlow

Re: Help with Miniter research

Post by kbarlow » Sat May 06, 2023 4:42 am

You are lucky to have an unusual name in Clare. If you check Sheila's parish records transcriptions for Feakle @ the library site, you will find just 3 baptisms in the period you are searching. One of them for an Edmund Miniter to a Patrick & Mary Mcnamara in 1847 - it is possible this child died and another is baptised in 1857, so it is worth searching the NLI site in the original records for this RC parish (or adjoining parishes). (Keep in mind agricultural workers and most Irish after Cromwell's invasion were not given any education, so they guess at ages). The Tithe Applotment books have an Edd/Ed & a John Miniter @ Curacloonbutlen townland & a John Miniter @ Knockbeha townland (1827). Griffiths Valuations (AskAboutIreland site) has a Catherine & a John Miniter separately leasing houses and land from James Butler in townland of Cooracloon More (1850s). You can check this data and see what related family names (eg McNamara) are nearby and keep in mind Irish naming conventions of the period, which often assist building possible relationships (eg 1st son named after the father's father).

The Irish civil records did not start until 1864, but checking the death registrations for Miniter in period 1864-1890 found 18, all in Clare, including an Edmund in 1890 age 94. Using maps of Clare and death records you may be able to construct relationships (noting who death informants are is crucial). There are also a few Miniters in Cooracloonmore in the 1901 census (NAI site).

good luck - the hunt is fun.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat May 06, 2023 1:08 pm

With a good nudge from Kerry Barlow to hit the parish records and this weekend's free access to Ancestry.com's and MyHeritage's UK records (through May 8th), I am supposing you will be busy. However, the following may assist in finding the earlier generation of your extended family, who likewise found careers in the military and struck off to new countries:

3 Sep 1853; 17 Sep 1853 Boston Pilot
OF PATRICK MINITER, PATRICK CAIN, MARGT. McNamara. Mary Cain, Anne O’Brien, & Mary Hassit, natives of Cooroclune, parish Feakle. Any information will he thankfully received bv Edward Miniter, Comp. D. 8th Infantry, U. S. A, Fort McKavatt, San Saba River, Texas.

8 Apr 1854; 15 Apr 1854; 22 Apr 1854 Boston Pilot
OF PATK, JAS, MARY A BRIDGET MINITER; Patrick, Marv. and Catherine Cain; as also, Nancy O’Brien and Margaret Mc [sic, likely McNamara], Mary and Ellen Basit [sic, Hasset], natives of Corroclune, Butler, parish Feaele, co Clare. Information will be received by Edward Miniter, Co. D, 8th Infantry, Ringgold Barracks, Rio Grande City, Texas, or elsewhere.

Information Wanted
15 Oct 1853 Boston Pilot
IF Mrs. MARGARET FITZGERALD, of Freeport, A Stephenson Cos., Illinois, will send her directions to her mother, Mrs. Minitor, at 89 Centre st. New York, she will save her much anxiety, as she has written several times and received no answer

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:46 pm

On Friday, Robert George Greene, Esq, held an inquest upon the body of a man named Darby Minogue, in the parish of Feacle, who came by his death under the following circumstances.—A few days since a dispute arose between two families about the possession of some land, and either party having collected their respective friends and followers, a general engagement ensued, when black-eyes and cut heads were as numerous as blackberries in October. The deceased and his son quietly going to the smithy [blacksmith] were beaten by one of the contending parties, from the effects of which he died in a few hours. A verdict was returned implicating several of the men concerned, and three of them have been committed to jail under the warrant of the Coroner.

Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser, Monday, 23 April 1838
CLARE.

THURSDAY.—Patrick McNamara, John Gleeson, Michael Cuniffe, Michael Connors, John Sullivan, Mary McNamara, James Miniter, Michael McNamara, James McNamara, Daniel Hassett, Michael Tuohy, Edmond Miniter, sen., Ed. Miniter, jun., James Quinn, Edmond Burke, Patt Brady, John Rogers, and James Tuohy, were indicted for the murder of Jeremiah Minogue, at Cahermurphy, parish of Feakle, on the 18th of April last.

Several witnesses were examined for the crown on behalf of the prosecution, among whom were the widow of the deceased, his son, daughter, and others, all of whom denied having any knowledge whatever of the prisoners’ being concerned in the murder. The crown counsel were obliged to give up the prosecution for want of evidence.

Baron Richards, after expressing surprise that even among the immediate relatives of the deceased witnesses could not be found to bring the perpetrators of the deed to justice, remarked that while the daughter of the deceased had that day positively sworn that she did not see any of the prisoners strike her father, and that she did not see him struck at all, she had in her information deposed to having seen a boy named Quinn strike her father with a stone, and leap on his body, and she also swore that she saw some of the other prisoners on that occasion.

The prisoners were then discharged.

In the next case 31 persons were indicted for a riot and assault arising out of the former case, four of whom were found guilty—namely, James Hickey, Michael Sullivan, David and Martin Williams.

FRIDAY.—Two sisters (Rowan and Guthrie) were tried for murdering their husbands, by administering poison. They were acquitted at a late hour of the night. . .

The Pilot, Wednesday, 6 March 1839

jross

Post by jross » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:45 pm

Hi Jimbo,
Thank you very much for posting this VERY interesting find! It sounds like my Miniter ancestors were a combative bunch! I still check this forum regularly, as there are still many unknowns in my family tree. Thanks again!
Janice