Linnane family from Corofin, County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Geoff Bates

Linnane family from Corofin, County Clare

Post by Geoff Bates » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:29 am

Hi,

Trying to find any information about a Linnane family from County Clare, most likely from Corofin. The parents are Michael Linnane and Bridget Nestor. I don't nkow anything about them, but have a some details on their children who immigrated to Australia in the 1860's. These siblings are as follows:-

1) Bridget Linnane. Born about 1838 in County Clare. Married Patrick O'Connell in Drayton Queensland in 1868. Died in 1927 in Southbrook Queensland.
2) Thomas Linnane. Born about 1837 in County Clare. Did not marry. Died 1920 in Queensland.
3) James Linnane. Not sure when born in County Clare. Died in 1887 in Qld.
4) John Linnane. Not sure when born in County Clare. Died in 1915 in Qld.
5) Mary Linnane. Born about 1833 in County Clare. Married Patrick Mullins in Corofin, County Clare in 1857. Died in 1896 in Drayton, Qld.

There may be other siblings that remained in Ireland or immigrated elsewhere.

Does anyone in the forum know of this family ?
Regards
Geoff Bates, Qld, Aus

kbarlow

Re: Linnane family from Corofin, County Clare

Post by kbarlow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 pm

I have Mullins in my tree, mainly from Carrownamadra (various spellings), a townland very near Corrofin. The one I have most info on is a Catherine Mullins (1806-1884) married a James Griffy in Clare, her father was John, mother Margaret Kierce. A number of Mullins were sponsors at baptisms of the births of Catherine's and James' children - in Killinaboy parish. There are Linnanes in the baptism records for that parish (check Sheila's great work at the registers posted at this forum). Catherine & many of the children migrated to Ballarat in the gold rush era.

good luck, Kerry

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks Kerry.
How do I get a hold of those registers from Sheila ? I'm not well versed on navigating the forum..
Geoff

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 am

Kerry,

The Patrick Mullins mentioned in my previous post, is the son of John Mullins and Catherine Curley of Corofin, Clare. Patrick was born in about 1815. I found a Mullins family tree website that made mention of Carrownamudra for this family.
Patrick also had sisters Mary (nee Revel) and Catherine (nee Daly) who also migrated to Australia in the 1860's.

Geoff

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 am

Hi Geoff

This is Sheila of the Transcriptions. I am one of the contributors to a project organised by “Murf” - explained in the first topic on this forum: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6768.
Scroll down and you will see the links to Rath-Kilnaboy parish records. The sad news is that the register containing marriages between 1844 and 1859 has not survived, and so the record of the marriage between Mary Linnane and Patrick Mullins in 1857 is lost here in Ireland – but luckily another mention of the marriage was found in Australia. I checked my transcriptions of Rath-Kilnaboy baptisms, both for Michael Linnane and Bridget Nestor (as parents) and Patrick Mullins and Mary Linnane (as parents) but found nothing. Maybe you should check too, as mine was a very fleeting check.
As marriage almost always took place in the parish of the bride, the marriage between Patrick Mullins and Mary Linnane does indicate that Mary was from either Rath, or Kilnaboy, (look at Civil Parishes on “Research support” on the Genealogy home page of clarelibrary.ie: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nealog.htm). As Patrick was from the townland of Carrownamadra in the parish of Kilnaboy, I expected to find that the couple remained in Kilinaboy – until they went to Australia; I expected to find some of their children in the baptism records 1837 – 1862, but found nothing. Maybe they went to live in another parish.

I should explain that Corofin was originally just a village in the parish of Kilinaboy, but gradually overtook Kilnaboy as a placename and was commonly used to describe that general area.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 am

Hi Geoff
With a bit of fiddling with the Clare Genmaps I found that the Griffiths Valuation reveals that Patrick Nestor and Owen Linnane occupied adjacent properties in the townland of Moyhill, in Rath Parish, and about 5km to the southwest of Corofin.
This may warrant further investigation. The name Owen (not so common in Clare) may provide a clue, if it appears in later generations.
Cheers, murf

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks Murf, I'll follow that up. Sounds like not a coincidence with the 2 names mentioned.
Geoff

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks Sheila - appreciate your help.
I managed to find a few Mullins baptisms, with parents Johanes Mullins and Catherina Curley, from 1822-1829. The places of residence were Carunadera, Carrunamadera and Karunamodra, all in Kilnaboy. I assume all the same place as "Carrownamadra" mentioned in previous posts.

Thanks Sheila,
Geoff

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 am

Geoff, there is strong evidence the John Mullins (married Cath Curley) you mention is related to Catherine Mullins in my tree. Possibly siblings, as the baptism of children implies:
*Cath Mullins & James Griffy had Cath Mullins in 1833 - sponsor Michael Driscoll
*same couple had Bridget Mullins in 1827 - sponsors Michael Mullins & Cath Mullins
*John Mullins (married Cath Curley) had Thomas in 1829, sponsors Michael Driscoll, Margaret Griffy

It was usual for siblings or 1st cousins to be sponsors @ baptisms

Kerry

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:52 am

PS - forgot to add the following baptisms, showing the strong links with Mullins/Griffy/Linnane:
*Cath Curley & Martin Griffy sponsors for baptism of Patrick Griffy's & Bridget Larkin's child in 1826
*Maria Griffy sponsor for child of Thomas Lynane & Bridget Cashee in 1832

Kerry

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 am

PPS - error in my note re baptism of Bridget in 1827 to Cath Mullins & James Griffy - she is named Bridget Griffy

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 am

I discovered that the John Linnane who died in 1915 in Queensland was married to Margaret Lahiff in county clare before immigrating to South Australia in 1858. Margaret's parents were Timothy Lahiff and Bridget Kelly who were probably from the same general area of Corofin. These names might ring a bell with someone.

PS there was a Timothy Lahiff in the Griffiths valuation for "Leana in Killinaboy, Corofin".
Geoff

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 am

Hi again - I have a Michael Keirce (quite likely related to my Kierce ancestor) married to an Anna Lynane (she of Culleen, Kilinaboy) - son Patrick Kierce born 1834. Does this ring any bells to you?

Kerry

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi Geoff

It’s good that you’ve found that extra nugget of information. I don’t see any entry for Timothy in my transcription of Rath-Kilnaboy parish (which does not mean that there isn’t one in the original), but I see that there’s a Timothy Lahiff in Griffith’s, as you point out.
I checked for the death of a Timothy Lahiff, bearing in mind that Timothy is also Theady/Thady and that Lahiff is also Lahive, but found nothing. I looked for the death of his wife, Bridget Lahiff, bearing in mind that Bridget can be Delia, but found nothing that fits. Very often deaths were not registered.
The revisions to Griffith’s Valuation (called Cancellation Books) are held in the Valuation Office, Dublin, and probably give the name of the person Timothy’s holding transferred to - most likely a son - but these records are not online as yet.
While helping a friend with his research (in 2013) which touched on Leana, he sent me the attached document, which shows a Daniel Lahiff named as the representative of Timothy at the time that the landlord (Julia Anne Synge) was disposing of the Synge estate (1873). This suggests to me that Timothy had died a couple of years previously, and that Daniel was his son.
I looked for a death record for Daniel Lahiff/Lahive, but found only one: he died in Kiltoraght parish in 1926, aged 70. If this age is correct, he was born about 1856, and would have been only 17 when he was considered to be the representative of Timothy, so I wondered if he could be the same Daniel. But when I looked at the 1901 census* I saw that he had given his age as 50, so was born about 1850. The only question then was why, if Daniel had a holding in Leana, he had moved to Kiltoraght - the adjoining parish.
Anyway, that’s the sum total of what I have found for Timothy Lahiff. If I find anything else, I will let you know.

Sheila

*In the 1901 census online, Leana is mistranscribed as “Leama”. There are two Lahiff households and one Lahive household there.

I edited this posting 28.01.2019. I deleted the attachment in order to make space for the attachment of Broadford baptisms.
Last edited by Sduddy on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi Geoff, again

Well, Timothy in Leana may have had a son called Daniel, but he’s not the Daniel who is in Kiltoraght in 1901. I looked for that Daniel in the Special Kilfenora Census, 1866, transcribed by Paddy Casey: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... s_1866.htm, and found Daniel living in Fienoa, Kiltoraght, aged 9. And his father is Pat Lahiffe (not Timothy).

Sheila