Marriage Date of Patrick Gleeson and Josephine Gleeson

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

JNT

Marriage Date of Patrick Gleeson and Josephine Gleeson

Post by JNT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Good Evening Everybody,

I am researching the Gleeson family of Ballycar Newmarket.

My grandfather Stephen Gleeson was born in 1871 in Ballycar. His father was Michael Gleeson. Stephen had a brother named Daniel.

Stephen's son Patrick married Daniel's daughter Josephine some time around 1930.

Does anyone have any information about where Patrick and Josephine were married, and the date of the marriage.

I would be most grateful for any information.

JNT

Sduddy

Re: Marriage Date of Patrick Gleeson and Josephine Gleeson

Post by Sduddy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi JNT

The record of that marriage is not shown on www.irishgenealogy.ie - as you probably don't need me to tell you. Can it be that Patrick and Josephine married after 1936 – the cut off point for civil records of marriages published on that website? Or have you some knowledge that shows they were married earlier, such as the birth of a child.

It took me a while to find Daniel Gleeson in the 1911 census as the name is mistranscribed as “Gluson”. He is a Station Master, and he and his wife and four children, plus his mother-in-law, Mary McMahon, are living in Cappaghlodge (Sixmilebridge D.E.D.). Josephine is not listed among the children as she was not born until May of that year – look under Ennis on www.genealogy.ie.
Stephen was easier. He married Mary Brooks in 1903, and the 1911 census shows him as Station Master in Athlone, Co. Westmeath. He and Mary had four children by then, Patrick, aged 3, being the youngest. The birth of Margaret, the eldest, was registered in Ennis in 1903; the other three were registered in Gort, Co. Galway, where Stephen was Station Master for some years.

In 1930, Josephine was only 19 and Patrick was only 23. Did they run away together?

Sheila

JNT

Post by JNT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi Sheila,

Many thanks for your help. I must admit that I failed to find the Census Return of Daniel Gleeson in 1911.Thanks for the information

I have most of the information on the Gleeson and Brooks families.

I am aware that there was a falling out between the brothers Stephen and Daniel when the cousins married (if they married) They had a son named Gordon. They appear to have emigrated to London.

Sadly, the marriage was not a success.

Patrick seemed to have cut off all ties with his family. He did not attend his father's funeral.

I believe that Josephine kept in touch with her family and visited Limerick and Ennis in later years.

JNT

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 am

Yes, I feel sure that Patrick and Josephine went to England. If they were to marry in the Catholic Church in this country, there would have been a fuss and they would have needed a dispensation from the Pope, no less.

While I was looking for Daniel in the 1911 census, I noticed that there was a Mary Gleeson in Ennis visiting Margaret Coffey. The form states that Mary is married and has four children, so I thought that this must be Daniel’s wife, but, later, when I found Daniel, I realized she was Stephen’s wife, Mary Brooks, who was from Ennis and was probably visiting an old friend, or relative.

By the way, I was wrong about the date of the cut-off point for marriages on irishgenealogy - it's 1940, not 1936

Glad to hear your research is going well, and best of luck with it.

Sheila

JNT

Post by JNT » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks again Sheila,

Margaret Coffey was Mary Gleeson's aunt, a sister of her mother Mary Brooks.

As a matter of interest, can one search the GRO Records in Werburgh St. Dublin for records up to the present day?

Best regards,

Jimmy

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:47 pm

I am ashamed to say that I don’t know the answer to your question – I was hoping that someone else would have given you the answer by now.

I looked for the marriage of Josephine Gleeson on www.familysearch.org and saw that the marriage of a Josephine M. Gleeson was registered in Athlone in the second quarter (Apr.- Jun.) of 1930. When I looked for the marriage of Patrick Gleeson registered same place, same year, there was nothing. I did see a marriage for a James Gleeson. Strangely, neither of those marriages is shown on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Sheila

Garth

Post by Garth » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 am

Sduddey wrote:I am ashamed to say that I don’t know the answer to your question – I was hoping that someone else suggested PhenQ and have given you the answer by now.

I like the marriage of Josephine Gleeson on http://www.familysearch.org and saw that the marriage of a Josephine M. Gleeson was registered in Athlone in the second quarter (Apr.- Jun.) of 1930.

Sheila
I may be able to help. I'll report back if I find anything.