Spouse not mentioned on headstone

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Robin522

Re: Spouse not mentioned on headstone

Post by Robin522 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Sharon,

It the first article I downloaded, it mentions a Maurice Leniham. He was a Limerick historian. He mentions a Rev. Dr. Charles Tuohy, native of Limerick in his book Limerick: Its History and Antiquities. Charles is mentioned on page 431, 634-637.

I am also downloading an obituary notice from the Limerick City Newspaper, dated 15/04/1840. It shows a Catherine Tuohy passed and her husband was Jeremiah a Classical Teacher. Maybe her husband is the Jeremiah who died in 1840.

Regards,
Robin
Attachments
Catherine Tuohy Obituary April 15th 1840 Limerick City Paper.pdf
(364.84 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

This appears to be another situation in which a family historian has to graph out all the various family members, to keep each in his or her respective family. As you are likely aware, the naming pattern used in Ireland resulted in multiple individuals of roughly the same age named the same, in order to honor an ancestor further up the chronological line, as Irish families of that time tended to be fairly large and thus several siblings were all naming children after their father. Jeremiah is a name not too common in East Clare, but very common in the Tuohy family(ies) of East Clare. Ditto for Matthew. With some already noted as surviving to age 79 or 81, these people were hardy and thus there could be several men named Jeremiah Tuohy, all well educated, living in Clare and nearby in Limerick, in the same general time period. All you can do is keep collecting data and looking for distinctions.

Having now read the pdf article posted on Jeremiah the classical teacher of Killaloe and his birth in Feakle, I am posting this reference to a Feakle Tuohy named Bartholomew for whom a headstone was provided by his son Jeremiah who had the means to purchase it. In view of Bartholomew's death in 1797, well before the 1801 birth of the teacher Jeremiah, I think the stone's purchaser might have been Jeremiah the O'Callaghan Mills Parish priest who died in 1840. Maybe there was yet another Rev. Jeremiah at that time with sufficient means.

Robin, in a private message please tell me more about your Tuohy family in the U.S. I may have additional notes of interest.

SMC
Feakle burial, Barth. 1797 by son Rev Jer.jpg
Feakle burial, Barth. 1797 by son Rev Jer.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 19652 times

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi Robin,

Your gg grandfather Jeremiah Tuohy was a very remarkable man! In your original post you provided very little detail about what research had already been completed. So my response was limited to your specific question regarding who was the wife of Jeremiah. And I assumed that you already knew all about his children. Thanks for providing the additional detail including the interesting biography. Hopefully, a Clare Past forum member will be able to provide the author and what book this came from. One thing to consider is that it was written in the 20th century. It was written prior to the internet having readily available millions of documents that have been indexed. Their only source was the Jeremiah Tuohy family headstone which would have excluded all family members who left County Clare. So it should come as no surprise that we are now able to discover new information on the Jeremiah Tuohy family which would have been nearly impossible for researchers in the olden days (10 years ago!) to discover.

Father James Tuohy (son of Jeremiah Tuohy and Catherine King) died in Lincoln, Illinois on 12th of February, 1901. The great thing about the will of a Catholic priest is that they have no wife or children, and instead bequeath all their assets to their siblings and cousins. In so doing they can provide a full family tree!

FamilySearch now has Illinois county probate & will records (excluding Chicago, Cook County unfortunately) on-line at no cost:

https://tinyurl.com/yaw6nsdv

Father James Tuohy was quite a wealthy man and his 4 page Will left money to some interesting charities including the future saint Mother Marianne Cope of the leper colony on the island of Moloka’i in Hawaii (I get easily side tracked!). Fortunately, Father Tuohy did not forget his siblings or niece in the will:

1) Julia (Tuohy) Burns, his beloved niece living in Broadwell Township, Logan County, ILL (same County as Father Tuohy). I think you will find that she is the daughter of John Tuohy below:

2) John Tuohy, his beloved brother, of City of Wexford, County of Wexford, Ireland

3) Matthew Tuohy, his beloved brother, of Kilaloe, County Clare

4) His beloved brothers: Michael Tuohy, "somewhere in the State of Texas"; George Tuohy of New York; and Jeremiah Tuohy of New Jersey. I believe these men were all bachelors.

Perhaps the Patrick Tuohy you mentioned and the Daniel Tuohy (born in 1853) mentioned by Sheila both died prior to 1901?

One good thing about Father James Tuohy's death being in the year 1901 is that it will be easy to find all the above relations in either the 1900 USA Census or in the 1901 Irish Census. If there is still doubt that the Matthew Tuohy listed in the above will is indeed your great grandfather, the 1909 death record for George Tuohy of New York lists his parents as Jeremiah Tuohy and Kate Frost:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... print=true

An additional next step would be to find their baptism records for his siblings as I have done for James Tuohy. On this baptism record, his sponsors were "Luke Croughan and his daughter Honor". You will find that a Miss Honoria Croughan is listed in the James Tuohy will with a specific Dublin address that should be easy to find in the 1901 Irish census. Another "Florence Bacon Croughan" is also listed as a cousin living in Washington D.C. as well as a beloved cousin Bridget O'Connor in Wellsville, NY. Upon further research into the baptism or marriage records, you will probably find that the wife of Luke Croughan is either a sister of Jeremiah Touhy or of Catherine King. Keep in mind that when Jeremiah Tuohy's biography states that he had two brothers that were priests, that this doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't have 5 sisters (or other brothers who weren't priests).

Good luck with your research. In answering your one question, I think you now have dozens of other things to start researching.

I wonder in particular what the German who married the only daughter of Jeremiah Tuohy was doing in County Clare??

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Jimbo,

Whew...my head is spinning. I see you have been busy and I so appreciate all the research you have done.

I never considered that Jeremiah had other siblings, other the the two that were mentioned. Just about all of Matthew's children came to America, including my grandfather, Michael. One of his other sons, John, was also a priest in Illinoi

Now I really do have a lot more to research. I will definitely take your advice, and look at the US census and Ireland Census. I will also continue to search for church records.

Thank you again so much! I will keep you posted on my research.

Robin

Jimbo

Jeremiah Tuohy, Killaloe Classical Teacher (1801 - 1880)

Post by Jimbo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Robin,

You are most welcome. It actually was pretty easy to find the documentation for your Jeremiah Tuohy descendants. I had this available on the first day, but was just too much information for one single post. I know you are keen to trace your roots further back for your family tree, but researching your family is also a good way (for us both!) to learn more about Irish history.

Not to be impatient, BUT... how is your research coming along!?

I thought you had enough clues and I was going to give you more time to make an important discovery on your own. But on second thought, if you are not that familiar with searching the Irish census or certain abbreviations it might be a bit too challenging.

In the 1901 Irish census for John Tuohy of County Wexford, if you check the "show all information" box you will find that his occupation was "R.I.C. Pensioner". RIC stands for Royal Irish Constabulary.

https://tinyurl.com/Irish-1901-Census-for-J-Tuohy

If you do a google search on RIC and "John Tuohy" there is a Royal Irish Constabulary Forum where your 3rd cousin in 2010 & 2016 was searching for information on her ancestors in the RIC. John Tuohy (9512) also had a son John James Tuohy (55101) who was in the RIC. The younger J J Tuohy was promoted in February / March 1916 to Sergeant of the Ashbourne Barracks in County Meath. This promotion was just prior to the Easter Rising of 1916 and the Battle of Ashbourne when the police barracks were attacked by Irish Volunteers.

https://www.irishconstabulary.com/viewt ... 1852#p1852
https://www.irishconstabulary.com/1916- ... -t787.html

Incredibly this Irish cousin has in her possession several letters written by the senior John Tuohy to his father detailing "life in the barracks and includes murders, court cases, worry about promotion...". However, I assume since they are addressed "Dear Father", this cousin is not aware that her great great grandfather is named Jeremiah Tuohy!

2016 was the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising. Another Irish cousin of yours participated in an interview by Maurice O'Keeffe in "The 1916 Rising Oral History Collection" related to the experience of his great uncle and the impact this has had on subsequent generations - a very unique perspective. The tape of the interview is available for purchase at the below website (this also has a summary of the interview and a photo of J J Tuohy). But more importantly if you follow the "Contact" details on the website you can email Mr. O'Keeffe and get the contact details for your cousin. I am sure he would be delighted to learn of the research done on his great great grandfather Jeremiah Tuohy.

https://www.irishlifeandlore.com/produc ... ll-b-1954/

A book associated with these numerous interviews by Dr. Helene O'Keeffe (daughter of Maurice O'Keeffe) was written in 2015 called "To Speak Of Easter Week: 1916 From A Personal Perspective". The story of John Tuohy is also included in this book as mentioned in the book review in the Garda Post newspaper. This book is available on Amazon as well as the Clare library.

http://garda-post.com/to-speak-of-easte ... rspective/

Let us know if you have any success in contacting your Irish cousins and how your other research is coming along. Best of luck!

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:01 am

Hi Robin,

Good news that you were able to contact a cousin so quickly - I got your message this week when I logged in. Hopefully by now you have gotten in touch with your other cousins!

Just in case there are any lingering doubts on whether or not Father James Tuohy is the son of your gg grandfather Jeremiah Tuohy, below** is Jeremiah's obituary from 1880 in the Irish American newspaper of New York. I believe much of the local townland content of these North American Irish newspapers was simply copied from the Irish newspapers. Sharon had earlier provided you with the Irish Canadian newspaper, but this was a much abbreviated version and left out a key fact for your family history that was in the Irish American NY newspaper: "The Rev. James Tuohy, one of his sons, of Lincoln, Illinois, U.S. and absent for twenty-six years from Ireland, arrived in Killaloe, in time to see his venerable parent on his death-bed, and to impart to him his blessing, and to receive his father's in return."

**got message that unable to attach as site quota is full

The fact that Kate Frost Tuohy is not mentioned in the 1880 obituary does not necessarily mean that she had died prior to 1880. Not mentioning the wife of the deceased appears to be standard in Irish obituaries. Whether this also means that women did not attend Irish requiem masses and funerals / burials might still be open for debate?

Back to your original question about why Kate Frost Tuohy's name is not mentioned on Jeremiah Tuohy's headstone, you now have more clues and I think can eliminate a few theories.

Sheila had mentioned a Kate Tuohy that was born in 1805 and died in 1875 that could possibly be your ancestor. But that would mean she married Jeremiah Tuohy when she was close to 40 years old and then went on to have six children. Pretty unlikely and this doesn't explain why her name isn't included on the headstone.

I reckon that Kate Frost could have been from 15 to 20 years younger than Jeremiah Tuohy. So she was about 60 years old in 1880 when Jeremiah died. Just like Jeremiah remarried when he became a widower in 1840, Kate Tuohy could have also remarried? This theory would explain why her name isn't included on the Tuohy family headstone.

In the Ennis parish records is the 29 July 1883 marriage of a Kate Tuohy and Tom Lynch. Obviously, Kate Tuohy is a fairly common name, but this would be worth getting the marriage certificate to confirm.

http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:25 am

Jimbo,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.

I actually got in contact with another cousin, from the Gorman side of my family and have been researching that lately.

I will have to find that obituary you mentioned. I will probably get more info, like you said.

My cousin just today came across a letter that John’s Tuohy’s daughter wrote to Matthew. It looks like she was making notes for a family tree back then. She does mention Catherine King and Frost as wives of Jeremiah. I need to print out the copies she sent me to examine them. They are a little hard to read.

Once again, I appreciate all of your help!

Thanks,
Robin

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Here is the Jeremiah Tuohy obituary from the 1880 Irish American newspaper. Thanks Sheila for making some space.

And my short-lived theory that Kate Tuohy remarried Tom Lynch in 1883 can be easily disproved. Starting in 1884 the couple had the first of at least 4 children in the Ennis baptism records!
Mr. Jeremiah Tuohy, who for the last 35 years had been principal of the Killaloe Diocesan School, expired at his residence, Killaloe, on July 17th, after a short illness. The lamented deceased, who had almost attained the patriarchal age of 79 years, was distinguished during his life-time not only for his great erudition but also for his great piety. He was possessed of every virtue that could exalt mankind; his manner too was most simple and unassuming. During his long and useful career he had prepared for the various learned professions hundreds of young gentleman who have made their mark all the world over. There is hardly a priest in the diocese who has not been educated by him, whilst in the United States and the colonies scores of zealous missionaries who had graduated at his seminary are to be found. Not only was Mr. Tuohy deeply versed in the Greek and Latin languages but he was also a most accomplished Irish scholar and antiquarian. The Rev. James Tuohy, one of his sons, of Lincoln, Illinois, U.S., and absent for twenty-six years from Ireland, arrived in Killaloe, in time to see his venerable parent on his death-bed, and to impart to him his blessing, and to receive his father's in return. His remains were interred with all honor in the ancient Cathedral Cemetery of Killaloe on July 19th. There were a large number of clergyman present, many of them having come specially from the distant parts of the diocese to pay the tribute of respect to the deceased. Almost immediately after Mass his remains were carried, chiefly by his old pupils who revered him in life, from the chapel to the family vault in the churchyard.

The Irish American, New York, 14 August 1880
EDIT: deleted obit to save space to post new article; may reload another day EDIT 2: transcribed article.
Last edited by Jimbo on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:15 am

Jimbo,

Thank you for providing the newspaper article. I would also like to thank Sheila for allowing the space to post it.

Without your help I never would have gotten this far in my research. I am forever greatful for your help and experience with genealogy.

I finally have an answer for my original post and a wealth of information and tools to further my research.

Thank you everyone on this forum for all of your help.

Regards,
Robin

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi Robin

Although the following does not address your original query, you may find it interesting. I was looking at the biography of Johnny Patterson (1840 – 1889), by Harry Bradshaw, in “Clare People”: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... dshaw2.htm, and noticed that while his son John Patterson jun. emigrated, his daughter, Bridget, had married Matthew Tuohy, a teacher in Killaloe, in 1887. At the end of page 1 of this thread, you mention “Matthew and his wife Bridget nee Patterson,” but you don’t mention that she was the daughter of Johnny Patterson. Maybe you felt this was not to the point and would be a distraction, but I think it is interesting enough to add here.
The record of the marriage shows that Matthew was a son of Jeremiah Tuohy, teacher: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 943785.pdf
In the 1901 census, Matthew is described as a Classical Teacher, living at Canal Bank, Killaloe, in the 1901 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000484843/
The 1911 census shows that he and Bridget were married 23 years and had ten children born to them, of whom 9 were alive. The youngest was only one year old: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 001796696/
Bridget died in 1914. The record of her death gives her age as 42, but as she was born in 1870 she must have been 43. Some of the children would have been still very young. Matthew died in 1930 and this tallies with the inscription on the headstone in St. Flannan’s Cathedral Graveyard, which you give in your first posting.
According to Harry Bradshaw, Johnny Patterson Junior went to live with his sister, Bridget Tuohy née Patterson, in Killaloe, after his father died in May 1889, but within a year he had gone off with the circus.
One of Johnny Patterson’s songs “The Garden where the Praties Grow” was sung by John McCormack (famous tenor): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JScrL4bpJ9c

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 am

Hi Robin

Well, I see now that the attachment “Matthew article” on page 1 refers to Bridget as the sister of Johnny Patterson the famous circus clown, but she was his daughter (she was only 17 when she married). The record of her marriage gives her father’s name as John Patterson. When Johnny Patterson married secondly to Bridget Murray in 1888, his father was recorded as Francis; occupation: Nail Maker:

Matthew Tuohy and Bridget Patterson, 1887: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 943785.pdf

Johnny Patterson and Bridget Murray, 1888: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 927242.pdf

I’ve transcribed the attachment on Matthew because it is so interesting and should be searchable, I think:
Matthew Tuohy, born in 1844, spent some years studying for the priesthood in America but due to ill health had to return home where he helped his ageing father in the classical school. Matthew married Bridget Patterson, sister of Johnny Patterson the famous circus clown, at Killaloe on 27 July, 1887. During the eighty or so years of the school’s existence it was held in various houses, wherever the Tuohy family lived at the time. The final location of the school was the house on the Canal Bank which was occupied by Matthew’s daughter, Millie, up to her death in October, 1974.
Unfortunately, no school records can be traced and we are left without such vital information as the names of pupils, fees paid, etc. The informantion contained in the census of 1901 may be typical of the number attending at any time. In that year 19 pupils, all Catholics, were enrolled. Four pupils were over 18 years; seven were between 15 and 18, two were between 14 and 15; while six were under 14. The attendance included only one girl.
Pupils walked six or seven miles to the school from Ogonnelloe, Kilbane and Ballywilliam. Pupils from the Tuoly classical school went directly into seminaries such as All Hallows, Dublin, and to the universities. One wishes that a list of all pupils who came to occupy prominent positions could be compiled. This is however, impossible, but the following list illustrates why the Tuohy classical school occupies a unique place among the schools of Clare. Past pupils included Dr. W.G. Niall; Fr. Denis Lynch, S.J., Fr. Lot Minehan, D.D.; Dr. Alec Johnson; Dr. George Elliot; James Canon Halpin; Rev. D. Courtney; Rev. T. Lynch; Rev. M. Scanlan; Michael Canon O’Rahilly; Dr. Mary Courtney; Rev. W. Scanlan and Fr. Dan Fogarty.
Matthew Tuohy died 30 September, 1930.
The obituary notice in the Nenagh Guardian of 4 October, 1930, paid him the following tribute:
‘The deceased … was a first rate educationalist and taught classics at Killaloe and in some of the principal Catholic colleges in America in his early days. He finally, on the death of his father, took charge of the Killaloe Intermediate School, then a private concern, and the great success of the school earned for him that great scholarly reputation which he maintained throughout his long span of years in the town. He was a great classical scholar and taught Greek, Latin, German and French with wonderful results … Indeed, there are many in Killaloe, Limerick and Tipperary, both lay and clerical, who owe their high positions in life to Mr. Tuohy’s teachings. His loss to Killaloe is incalculable. Here, the young people had the unique opportunity of receiving a University education at their very doors, which many of them availed of to their own advantage, and to the betterment of their position in life.’

I’ve also transcribed the attachment on Jeremiah Tuohy (Matthew’s father);

In 1835 there were two classical schools in the town of Killaloe. One was conducted by Mr. Smith and the other by Mr. Hayes [Note 1]. No further details of these schools are available. However, one wonders if the Mr. Hayes mentioned above is the Roger Hayes who left the Aillemore hedge school in 1824.
Mr. P. O’Connor held a classical school in Killaloe during the early 1840s. The Limerick Chronicle of 25 May, 1842, has a short account of an accident in Limerick in which his son, Charles, was killed. Mr. O’Connor was a native of that city.
The outstanding local classical school of the last century and of the first quarter of this century was undoubtedly the Tuohy School taught by father and son. The founder of the school was Jeremiah (Darby) Tuohy, who was born at Lacarroe, parish of Feakle, c. 1801. Early in his career he taught in Tulla, Limerick and Nenagh. We do not know the exact date of the opening of his classical school in Killaloe, but he certainly had it established by 1844. About this time he married Catherine Frost. Two children were born of the marriage, Matthew [note 2], who succeeded his father, and Mary, who died in 1879 aged 31. Darby had two brothers, John and Michael, priests in the diocese of Killaloe who went to America c. 1850.
Maurice Lenihan, the Limerick historian, was a friend of Darby Tuohy who introduced him to the antiquities of east Clare and North Tipperary. The usual arrangement was that Maurice Lenihan would take the train from Limerick to Killaloe where Darby would have a car waiting to take them to some historic site. The notebooks of Maurice Lenihan are still extant and contain many references to his outings with Darby Tuohy [note 3].
Darby was among the best known and most sought after of the classical teachers of this transition period. The diocesan publication, Molua, of 1935 states:
‘Such academics as Darby Tuohy’s of Killaloe …(was) still there as links with another age, and persevering in the good work of Catholic education, especially of students intended for the priesthood. Indeed, posterity owes them at least this passing tribute in appreciation of their labours in days when they supplied a very crying need by offering limited facilities to students athirst for learning, or conscious of a Divine urge to the most sacred Calling.’
Darby Tuohy died on 18 July, 1880.

Record of death of Jeremiah Tuohy, widower: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 859065.pdf

Sheila

P.S. Like Jimbo, I have failed to find the author of the pieces on Jeremiah and Matthew Tuohy. I would like very much to read that book.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:37 am

I mis-transcribed Matthew’s year of birth as 1866. It was 1844. I edited my transcription to amend it to 1844.

I’ve been trying to find the author of the piece on Matthew, but without success. In the course of searching, I found a mention of him (as one of the last hedge schoolmasters) in a parish history from Co. Limerick, The Annals of Churchtown, compiled by Denis J. Hickey (page 164):
Payment to the teacher depended on the size of his class – and not a little on his reputation. He might make as little as £20 per year or as much as £50. The poorer pupils offered payment-in-kind, including butter, fowl, turf or vegetables. The Master augmented his income by writing letters, drawing up marriage articles, wills and leases, measuring land or arbitrating in disputes.
The hedge schools continued to the first part of the 19th century, but were gradually supplanded by the schools established by the National Education system in 1831. One of the last of the hedge schoolmasters was Matt Tuohy, who taught at Killaloe, County Clare. He charged the then not insignificant sum of half-a-crown a week for instruction in ‘Latin, Greek, Irish, Sums and Dancing’.
The attachment on Matthew, which I transcribed, mentions the census of 1901 as informing us that there were 19 pupils attending the school. Where in the census is that information, I wonder?

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:35 am

I think the author of the book may be Seán Kierse. This Killaloe History site includes a section on Local History Books: https://www.killaloehistory.com, and that shows that Sean Kierse wrote several books, articles and features on the history of Killaloe, including a book entitled “Education in the Parish of Killaloe.”

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:03 pm

I requested Education in the Parish of Killaloe, by Seán Kierse, (1987), at my local library and it arrived yesterday, and, yes, this is the book the attachments on Jeremiah Tuohy and his son Matthew (posted above by Robin522) were taken from. I was told that while there’s a copy in the reference section of many libraries, there’s only one now in circulation, so I’ve ordered a copy from the website above. I’ve been reading it (only 180 pages) and it is packed with information, not just on education in Killaloe, but in Ireland generally – a really valuable book.

The two attachments, which I have transcribed above, comprise the first two pages of Chapter X: The Post-Primary Schools. There is nothing more on the Tuohys and the only thing to be added are the three end notes:
Note No. 1 refers to the opening sentences: “In 1835 there were two classical schools in the town of Killaloe. One was conducted by Mr. Smith and the other by Mr. Hayes.” The source given is “2nd Report Commission of Public Instruction, Ireland. P.P. 1835. Vol. 34.”
Note No. 2 refers to the record of the baptism of Matthew at Killaloe on 10 October, 1844.
Note No. 3 refers to the notebooks of Maurice Lenihan “which are still extant and contain many references to his outings with Darby Tuohy”. These are kept at City Library, Limerick, and at O’Connell Schools Library, North Richmond Street, Dublin.

The book has quite a few school photos, including one from 1893. There is no list of names for that photo, but all the names for a 1909 photo of the girls attending Glen National School are given, and almost all the names for a 1909 photo of the Irish Class* of the Boys National School, Killaloe; also all the names for the Boys National School, Killaloe, 1925, and almost all the names for the Senior Classes of the Convent National School (girls), c. 1924, and all the names of the boys attending the Bridgetown National School, 1927. I haven't mentioned all the photos.
*The Irish Class was under the auspices of Conradh na Gaeilge (Gaelic League). Sean O’Connor was the Irish teacher and he was paid by Conradh na Gaeilge (see Chapter XI).

Among the many items that I noted with interest is a note on the closure of the schools during the Great Flu of 1918 (page 59):
Serious outbreaks of epidemics caused the usual closure of the school, but none for such a long period as the Great Flu in 1918. The school closed on Monday, 4 November, and remained closed until 14 of January. However, there was a further outbreak in February and the school was obliged to close again. It reopened on Monday, 24 March, but was immediately closed by Dr. P. J. Holmes. He wrote in the Daily Report Book on that day; ‘This school was opened today without my authority, and in view of the serious epidemic of Influenza still present in the district I would recommend that it be closed forthwith.’ It did not open again until 28 April.
Sheila