Spouse not mentioned on headstone

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Robin522

Spouse not mentioned on headstone

Post by Robin522 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I was lucky to find the headstone for my great great grandfather. His name was Jeremiah "Darby" Tuohy but unfortunately his wife is not listed. The following is the transcription which I found on the Clare Library website.

Tuohy Headstone, St Flannan's Cathedral Graveyard, Killaloe. The inscription reads: Sacred to the memory of Jeremiah Tuohy, Classical Teacher, died 18 July 1880 aged 79 years. An affectionate son placed this memento over the grave of a good father. Here also lie interred the remains of his only daughter Mary, died 18 May 1879 aged 31 years. R.I.P. Also his granddaughter Mary Bridget Tuohy, 16 February 1890 aged 1 year & 8 months. In memory of Matthew Tuohy, died 30th Sept 1930 aged 85 years. Also his wife Brigid, died 15th March 1914 aged 43 yrs.

So far I have not been able to find out who his spouse was. I was wondering if anyone knew of a reason why she would not have been buried with he rest of the family.

Thank you,
Robin

kbarlow

Re: Spouse not mentioned on headstone

Post by kbarlow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:45 pm

I have several examples of this in my family tree, usually because the spouse died in a hospital (or someone's home) some distance away and family did not have the money to pay for carriage back to where other spouse is buried.
Kerry

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 pm

That is just sad to think about. Thank you Kerry for your help. I will have to keep digging to find out what his wife's name was.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 am

Hi Robin, that is very lucky indeed that you found the headstone of your great great grandfather Jeremiah Tuohy.

As far as finding out the name of your great great grandmother, you might get extra lucky if they had children who immigrated to the United States as the records can provide lots of details. Reverend James Tuohy of Lincoln Illinois obtained a passport for a return trip to Ireland in 1898 where he states that he was born in Six Mile Bridge on 11 June 1836:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2185145

Below is a link to the baptism record for James Tuohy. For those volunteers transcribing baptism records I'm not sure how you do it as I could barely work out just this one single record. My Latin is malus. I looked up that the Latin for Jeremiah was "Hieremias" which was not the name on the record. But then reread the original post that he also went by "Darby" so this is definitely the baptism record for James Tuohy. Any ideas what the surname for the mother Catherine would be in the below screen print??

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls0 ... 9/mode/1up

Hopefully determining the wife of Jeremiah this will lead to more clues to when she died and where she was buried.

A bit of trivia: their only daughter Mary whose death was listed on the headstone as 18 May 1879 was Mrs. Weinbert (Hembert?) Kaltenback who died just one year after her marriage. In the Killaloe marriage records, Mr. Kaltenback was the only German in the records.
Attachments
NLI Six Mile Bridge baptism record 12 July 1836.jpg
NLI Six Mile Bridge baptism record 12 July 1836.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 30507 times

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 am

Hello Jimbo,

Thank you for the information you provided. I have a photocopy of a book ( I am not sure of the name or author of the book). It says Jeremiah marries a Catherine Frost around 1845. When I did a search for them, I could only find a son Patrick. As far as I know Jeremiah only had a son Matthew and a daughter Mary. When I searched for a death record for Catherine Tuohy, I came across a record from a Limerick obituary showing a Catherine Tuohy who died in 1840, her husband Jeremiah a classical teacher. Since Matthew was born around 1845, I do not think that record is accurate. But what are the chances of another Jeremiah Tuohy, who was a classical teacher?

I tried to upload the photocopy, but I am not sure it worked.

Robin

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:14 am

My reading of the record is, “Jacobus filius Demetrii Toohy et Catherina King sponsors Lucas Croughan et filia ejus Honora” , ie. “James son of Demetrius Toohy and Catherine King; sponsors: Luke Croughan and his daughter, Honor”.

A note on the name “Diarmuid”: In the early part of the nineteenth century, the priests were strongly urged by Rome to use the names of saints from the Roman Calendar of saints, rather than the names that were still in use in Ireland at that time. “Diarmuid” was one of the names that priests struggled with. Some priests replaced it with “Jeremiah” and others with “Demetrius”.
In Irish, when a consonant is followed by a narrow vowel, the consonant is softened and “D” sounds a little like a soft “G”. The “Dia” in “Dia dhuit” (God be with you) sounds almost like “Gee”. So the choice of “Jeremiah” for “Diarmuid” is not as strange as it might seem. “Darby” was commonly used for the same name (though I can’t begin to explain that!). Towards the century, with the Gaelic revival, the name became “Dermot” - a return to the original (almost). A family tree will often show two or three versions of the name.

Sheila

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Sheila,

Thank you for your reply. It is so hard to read the original documents, especially not knowing the history. I am thankful that you can.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Robin, your query has shown up an error in my transcription of Tulla baptisms 1846-1862. I misread the name of the father of Daniel Toohy, who was baptised April 2nd 1853 (page 48 online), as “Bartly” but, on looking at it again, I can see clearly that it is Darby. Daniel's mother (Darby's wife) is Catherine Frost. There are no other baptisms in Tulla parish for this couple. They must have moved to another parish - or back to another parish.

Clearly, Catherine Frost did not die in 1840, but maybe Jeremiah had a previous wife, also called Catherine. Or was his father also called Jeremiah and also a classical teacher?

Sheila

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Sheila,

I saw that also. I do not recall a Daniel in the family, so I was a bit confused. I am not sure if Jeremiah's father was also a teacher, or his name. I really appreciate all of your help.

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 pm

I am going to try to upload the articles I have now. I hope it works this time.
Attachments
Jeremiah article.pdf
(432.5 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 pm

This is another page from the same book that mentions his son, Matthew.
Attachments
Matthew article.pdf
(458.63 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you for those interesting excerpts from that book.

I looked at death records on irishgenealogy.ie and wonder if that is Jeremiah whose death at age 79 was registered in the Scarriff registration district in 1880? Have you tried to get a copy of that record. It will not tell you much that you do not know already, but it will tell you if he was a widower, or if he was still married.
I am wondering if the Catherine Tuohy, whose death at age 70 was registered in the same district in 1875, is Catherine Frost. The record will not give her maiden name, but it might give the occupation of her husband, possibly, and that would be help identify her. The name of the informant (who reported the death) would also help.

The death of Matthew Tuohy in 1930 was registered in Annacarriga, and I'm sure the deaths of his parents were registered there initially, but Scarriff was the "head office" for that whole region and that's where the Annacarriga registrations went to. So when you are looking on www.irishgenealogy.ie, you need to look under Scarriff.

Sheila

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Sheila,

I am glad you enjoyed the excerpts from the book. Honestly I did not even think of ordering the records, that is a great idea.

I will definitely look under Scariff records to find out more information.

I really can't thank you enough for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

Robin

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:51 pm

I haven't looked at the pdf articles yet, but I did go through my fairly extensive Tuohy file, which I maintain in order to figure out more about Fr. Darby Tuohy who immediately preceded Patrick Quaid as PP of the RC O'Callaghan Mills Parish, formerly known as the combined parishes of Clonlea (Kilkishen) and Killuran. That Jeremiah died in 1840 at an advanced age, see screenshot below and also the map showing Lakeview as his residence, a placename near/in Cappalaheen townland. I also have a reference to a Fr. Tuohy of this area who died before 1828, and all of these learned men may be related, of a sort like the McInerney family who had several generations of learned and fairly influential men. Note that the PP also appears in Sheila's Tulla Parish transcriptions at least once in the witness column, with Lakeview as his residence. I have to wonder if the House Book record (prepared for Griffith's Valuation published 1855, shown here in two parts) for the tutor Jeremiah Tuohy in Tulla village may be of this general family.

I have the newspaper mention for Jeremiah who died in 1880, shown below.

Hope this helps,
Sharon Carberry (USA)
Rev. Darby, Lakeview dth 1840.tif
Rev. Darby, Lakeview dth 1840.tif (247.05 KiB) Viewed 30411 times
Lakeview on map.jpg
Lakeview on map.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 30411 times
Touhy, Jer, Tulla tutor, GV record.jpg
Touhy, Jer, Tulla tutor, GV record.jpg (46.92 KiB) Viewed 30411 times
Touhey's priv school, Tulla, House bk.jpg
Touhey's priv school, Tulla, House bk.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 30411 times
Jer. Tuohy 79, Killaloe school head d 1880.jpg
Jer. Tuohy 79, Killaloe school head d 1880.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 30411 times

Robin522

Post by Robin522 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Sharon,

Thank you for all the information you provided.

I believe that is the obituary of my 2x great grandfather, Jeremiah. I have his death dateas the 18th of July but I am sure it is the same person. His son Matthew, took over the school for him when Jeremiah became ill. The second article I posted said Matthew went to the US to become a priest, but returned home when his father became ill. Jeremiah had 2 brothers, John and Michael. They were both priests in the diocese of Killaloe. The article said they both went to America in 1850. Matthew and his wife Bridget new Patterson had 10 children. One of their sons, John, was a priest in Chicago.

So I am beginning to see the pattern here. You seem to be correct, that the family must be connected.

I am still trying to go further back than Jeremiah, but seem to be stuck. I am not giving up. Lol

Regards,
Robin (Pennsylvania, USA)