Any information Michael O'Halloran, County Clare, circa 1827

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Dublinsothsider

Any information Michael O'Halloran, County Clare, circa 1827

Post by Dublinsothsider » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Looking for any information regarding Michael O'Halloran, born County Clare, circa 1827 . Emmigrated to Adelaide , Australia in 1856 from Liverpool, Uk. His father was Michael or Martin - (two certificates, a marriage and a death cert give his father as one of these names !). he married in Australia to an Irish woman from County Tyrone, Isabella Fox ,had 12 children, lived and died there. Only information regarding him was he talked about being from ' Ballyveckin' - spelt phonetically ! and there was some talk of him being a bare fisted fighter. The family in Australia is extensive and we can trace the family including Isabella Fox but have nothing about Michael. Would dearay love, how if at all possible, I could seek out any possible family here in Ireland. Bit of a needle in a haystack but thought I'd try,

miriam scahill

Re: Any information Michael O'Halloran, County Clare, circa 1827

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Hello = I thought 'Ballyveckin' could sound or be pronounced like 'Ballyvaughan/Ballyvaghan' as sometimes in the Munster 'Irish' - the 'gh' sound is not silent in a word. - so I looked up Census of 1901 -Ballyvaughan Union and low and behold under 'Abbey' - Ref 1/3 is Ballyvelaghan and there are Hallorans living there.!! The 'O' was not used too much. See http://www.clarelibrary.ie and go to Genealogy. Maybe the Griffith Valuations of 1855 would help too.
Would this be a starting point for you?

Dublinsothsider

Post by Dublinsothsider » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:55 pm

miriam scahill wrote:Hello = I thought 'Ballyveckin' could sound or be pronounced like 'Ballyvaughan/Ballyvaghan' as sometimes in the Munster 'Irish' - the 'gh' sound is not silent in a word. - so I looked up Census of 1901 -Ballyvaughan Union and low and behold under 'Abbey' - Ref 1/3 is Ballyvelaghan and there are Hallorans living there.!! The 'O' was not used too much. See http://www.clarelibrary.ie and go to Genealogy. Maybe the Griffith Valuations of 1855 would help too.
Would this be a starting point for you?
tk you very much for this info. will let you know how i get on

Dublinsothsider

Post by Dublinsothsider » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Does anyone know how in 1856 a person travelling from County Clare to Plymouth, what shipping route could they have taken and also did such ships keep passanger lists ? I know my great grand father M.O'H ,made this journey.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Hello - I was just looking at the Census of 1901 (by DED and townland) on http://www.clarelibary.ie - and noticed that on Ref. 103/8/1 - ships in River Shannon at Kilrush Creek - there was a ship connected with Plymoth. It might have been poss. 50 years or so before that. Travel was by boat or horse in these days.
Miriam.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:06 pm

See, for example, http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... s/3feb.htm (Kilrush Union Minute Books 1849, ".....Expenses incurred in conveying the Emigrants from Kilrush Wkhouse from Dublin to Plymouth....."). So these emigrants went overland to Dublin and thence to Plymouth. Seems a bit roundabout but there we are. Travel broadens the mind.

Paddy