News items on Mealy/O'Malley of Tulla Parish

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

News items on Mealy/O'Malley of Tulla Parish

Post by smcarberry » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am

Posting a few news items from a collection kept just by the by, so the citations are not complete. The 1882 article is posted in pdf format due to its length - it is a listing of donors to a fund for the relief of the involved Meally family, with names and locations listed in both the U.S. and Clare.

Sharon Carberry
not researching this surname
Mealy, Wm, Tulla to CA 1848, ad.jpg
Mealy, Wm, Tulla to CA 1848, ad.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 25099 times
Mealy 1894 wdg to Minogue.jpg
Mealy 1894 wdg to Minogue.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 25099 times
O'Malley of Feakle, 1948 gold find.jpg
O'Malley of Feakle, 1948 gold find.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 25099 times
Attachments
Malley of Tulla, 1882 conviction relief.pdf
(55.23 KiB) Downloaded 688 times

Sduddy

Re: News items on Mealy/O'Malley of Tulla Parish

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Sharon

A belated Thank you for those Mealy news items.
The civil record of Bridget (Birdie) Mealy’s marriage to John Minogue on Feb. 06, 1894, shows that she was from Glandree, a daughter of Michael Mealy (alive). John Minogue is from Scarriff, a Victualler, son of Michael Minogue (dead); the ceremony took place in Drumcharley chapel; witnesses: Pat Minogue and Annie Mealy.
I think the Michael Mealy, who died in Glandree in 1902, a widower, aged 80, was Birdie’s father. Another of his daughters, Mary McNamara, was present at his death. I figure this is the Mary Mealy who married Martin McNamara from Whitegate in 1890. Martin “married in”. In the 1901 census Michael is mistakenly given as Martin’s stepfather (he was his father-in-law). Looking at the Tulla baptisms, I think Michael may be the Michael Mealy of Glendree who was married to Mary O’Hara. The baptisms show that they had three daughters: Anne b. 1854, Mary b. 1855, Anne b. 1856 and Bridget b. 1858.

It’s hard to say which baptisms are for the Michael Malley who was sentenced to a term of penal servitude in 1882. I think he may be Michael Mealy who is married to Mary Torpey. That couple started their family in 1855, so had some grown up children by 1882, but continued to have children until 1876, so could also be considered to hava a young family.

The Mealys/O’Malleys in Tulla parish are much reduced in numbers by 1901 – the census shows 12 living in Glendree and 3 in Tulla town:

(1) Michael aged 78 (above) is living in the McNamara household.
(2) Bridget aged 75 is mother-in-law at O’Donnells in Glendree. Looking at the Tulla baptisms, I reckon she was Bridget Cooney who was married to Pat Mally. Their daugher, Norah, married John O’Donnell in 1893.
(3 -8) Patrick Mealy aged 57 and Bridget (nee Hogan) aged 56, and their children: Patrick 18, John 17, Ellen 16, Mary 14 and Thomas 13.
(9 - 12) Mary Mealy (nee Woods) aged 61, a widow of Owen Mealy, and their children: John 30, Anne 28, Patrick 26. By 1911 Patrick has married Mary (McMahon?) and they have 3 children, and John, now aged 40, is living with them. Anne married Edmond McNamara from Maherabawn in Tulla chapel on Apr. 05, 1907. The record shows that her father is Owen Mealy (dead).
(13, 14) John Malley aged 74, stonemason, and Ellen Malley, aged 60, are living in Tulla Town. I think Ellen is Ellen O’Brien and that they are the parents of Catherine b. 1867, Ellen b. 1869, Catherine b. 1872 and John b. 1875. All the children are gone from home by 1901, but in 1911 John (now aged 85 and a widower) has his daughter, Bridget, and two grandchildren (born in London) living with him.
(15) A Michael Malley aged 68 in 1901 living in Tulla, a widower, living alone, died in 1903 in Tulla workhouse (see under Galway); no address or relations given.
Might this be Michael of the newsitem?

I can find no trace, in the 1901 census, of one family of Mealys: Thomas Mealy married to Susan McMahon and living in Fortanebeg (according to the baptism register). Their children were born between 1859 and 1877.

But O’Malleys continued to live in Glendree: one of these music videos is called “Sessions fron Pakie Malley’s Kitchen in Glendree, Tulla Co. Clare”: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... wstyle.htm

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Patrick O’Malley, who found the gold hoard in 1948, belongs to the townland of Gorteenreagh, adjacent to the townland of Glendree. Glendree is in Tulla parish, while Gorteenreagh is in Feakle parish. Griffith’s Valuation (1856) shows a Patrick Malley leasing plot 12 in Gorteenreagh. It adjoins the Mealy/Malley farms in Glendree (plot 46).
Martin Mealy, who is living in Gorteenreagh (aged 63) in 1901, is probably a son of that Patrick. Martin married Catherine Broderick from Islandmore (Caher-Feakle parish marriages) in 1864. Martin and Kate’s son, John b. 1870, married Maria Deegan (Deoghaden) in 1914, and one of their sons, Patrick, is the Patrick O'Malley who found the gold hoard in 1948 – this is clear from the Cuimhneamh An Chlair interview of him in 2010 (when he was aged 90).

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:01 am

Very ironic that William O'Mealy left Glandree in 1848 and most likely arrived in California in 1849 as a "Forty Niner" to strike it rich in the California Gold Rush. Then 100 years later in 1948, a gold hoard was discovered by a Patrick O'Malley in lands just adjacent to Glandree.

Sacramento had only a small population in the 1850's. I reckon "William O'Mealy" was the "William Maley" listed on the 1868 California voter register as age 32, born in Ireland, occupation "Horse Shoer" who became a naturalized U.S. citizen on 6 October 1868.

In the Tulla baptism register, there are three William Maley's listed as from Glandree:
1) William Maly, son of Pat Maly and Ann Haloran, baptized 16 May 1828
2) William Maly, son of William Maly and Honor Houlahan, baptized 11 April 1833
3) William Maley, son of Martin Maley and Mary Tuohy, baptized 2 August 1838

The missing advertisement states that he left Ireland in 1848 "a mere boy", so William #1 would be too old, and William #3 would have been too young at 10 years. I reckon William Maly born in 1833 would have been old enough at the age of 15 to set off on his own for America but still be considered a boy.

I'm interested in California history so I researched William Maley in the available records. He appears to have moved around frequently and followed the completion of the Central Pacific Railroad east from Sacramento into Nevada. I don't believe he actually worked on the Trans Continental Railroad as the Central Pacific from the West was mostly Chinese workers; the Union Pacific being built from the East was mostly Irish workers. But more likely he found work in the boom towns that were created in its development as well as adjacent lands that opened up for miners. Below is a map of the Trans Continental Railroad that includes Winnemucca and Elko in Nevada.

1860 Census in Sacramento: "Wm Milley", age 24, blacksmith

1860 NV Territorial Census in Silver City, Carson County (now a "near ghost town"): W. O Mally

1870 Census in Elko, Nevada: "Wm Malay" (age 30, miner) with wife "Eva" and son George age 2

13 Feb 1873 in Winnemucca, Nevada: death of infant daughter

1875 Nevada State census: in Humboldt County (most likely Winnemucca): E Maley (female born in Ireland) is head of household with two children G. Maley and W. Maley. A 35 year old W. Maley is working as a blacksmith away from his family.

1880 federal census: Maley family is missing?

1881 Sacramento City Directory: William Maley, blacksmith

1900 Census in Sacramento, CA: William Maley (age 65), with wife Ellen (age 53) and children W H Maley (age 24) and John Maley (age 18).

1 March 1909: death of William Maley reported in the Sacramento newspapers. "Deceased had resided in Sacramento for more than fifty years. A great many years ago he was a horse shoer here, and later he was employed as an ironworker in the Southern Pacific shop.... He is survived by his wife, Ellen Maley, and three sons, George W. Maley, a well known member of the local police force; William H. and John H. Maley. He was a native of Ireland."

From the naming of his children, he appears to have followed a slightly modified Irish naming tradition. His first born son was named "George Washington Maley" obviously named after the father of his adopted country. His second born son was named "William" - possibly after his own father? This would support that he is William #2, the son of William Maly and Honor Houlihan.

Would be interesting to discover if the "Forty Niner" William Maley of Glandree was related to the Patrick O'Malley of Gorteenreagh who discovered the gold hoard in 1948.
Attachments
Map from Nothing Like It in the World, the Men who Built the Transcontinental Railroad by Stephen Ambrose.jpg
Map from Nothing Like It in the World, the Men who Built the Transcontinental Railroad by Stephen Ambrose.jpg (294.51 KiB) Viewed 23923 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 am

Brilliant tracing – our usual word for Genealogy here - you found some nuggets in California.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:59 am

The William Maley of Glandree living in California married a woman from County Clare. The obituary for his wife Ellen Maley in the Sacramento Union newspaper stated she died on 5 January 1917 and was a native of County Clare (see below). The obituary did not provide her maiden name, but did state that Ellen was a sister of the late Mrs. Bridget Daroux of Sacramento who died in 1911 (see her obituary below). Many Frenchmen came to California for the Gold Rush and Ellen's sister Bridget married one from Bourgogne by the name of Pierre Arnaud Daroux. California death records include mother's maiden name and when their daughter Margaret Trengrove died in 1945, it listed her mother as a "Perrill" and father as "Daroux".

Bridget Perrill Daroux (born about 1834) arrived in California in the 1850's as her eldest son Frank was born in California in 1856. Ellen Perrill Maley (born about 1845) was married in California in 1867, but not clear when she arrived in the state (the census taker left this field blank in the 1900 / 1910 census reports). A possible brother "William Perrill" born in Ireland in 1841 died in Sacramento in 1894. But no information that this William is from County Clare or if his children are cousins to the Maley or Daroux families.

"Perrill" is not the most common name in County Clare. In the 1901 Irish census there a few Perrill families living in the Turkenagh Mountains.

If you are from a mountainous area of County Clare such as Tulla or Turkenagh, I wonder if you might be slightly more inclined to move to California to look for gold in the Sierra Nevada mountains than if you lived in a fishing village on the coast?
Attachments
Ellen Perrill Maley of County Clare obituary Sacramento Union 6 January 1917.jpg
Ellen Perrill Maley of County Clare obituary Sacramento Union 6 January 1917.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 23797 times
Bridget Perrill Daroux of County Clare obituary Sacramento Union 7 January 1911.jpg
Bridget Perrill Daroux of County Clare obituary Sacramento Union 7 January 1911.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 23797 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Jim

Good work. Yes there are Perrils in Turkenagh, in the parish of Scarriff. Two families of Perrils are shown in the baptism records. The children of John Perril and Catherine Malone are Honor, Michael, illegible, William, Patrick, Kate and John all born between 1869 and 1879. The children of Pat Perill and Bridget Callaghan are Bridget, Ellen, Mary, William, John, Honor and William all born between 1869 and 1879 (maybe there were more after that date). On three occasions Perril is spelled ‘Pearl’.

Those children may be nieces and nephews of Ellen Maley and Bridget Daroux. And John and Pat Perrrill may be the brothers of those two ladies.

In Griffith’s Valuation (1856) William Perril is leasing 352 acres of Turkenagh Mountain from John Sampson. John and Pat, who both married in 1868, must be his sons. William is the only Perril/Perrill/Pearl I can find in Griffith’s – there may be yet another version of the name.

irishgenealogy.ie does not recognize that Perrill and Pearl are the same name, so anyone researching that family needs to look up both versions.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 pm

The Irish Folklore Commission’s scheme (1937 - 1938) for collecting essays written by school childen at that time included a section on “Mo Cheantar” (My Home District). One of these is a short essay on Turkenagh, which mentions the Pearl family. Go to https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5177630/5 ... ID=5177630, or google Pearl Turkenagh

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 am

Hi Sheila, thanks for your research of the Perrills of Turkenagh. Reading what the schoolchildren have to say about a place in the Folklore Commission reports is always fun.

The William Perrill of Sacramento that I listed as a possible brother mostly went by Perrill, but in the 1880 census the family is listed as Pearl (see below). This William died in 1890 (previous post has 1894 by mistake), a full two decades prior to the deaths of Ellen Maley and Bridget Daroux. So even if William was a brother as suspected, I don't think it is unusual that his name wasn't listed in their obituaries. From the 1880 census, William Perrill's first born son born about 1872 was also named William. Perhaps named after his grandfather the William Perrill you found in the 1856 Griffith's Valuation report?

The book "The Irish Race in California and the Pacific Coast" was written by Father Hugh Quigley in 1878. My local library has a reference copy which I'll have a look at to see if Father Quigley gives a County Clare focus to his research and what names he mentions. Hugh Quigley's parents were Hugh Quigley and Mary Lynch of Derragarra and he was baptized in Tulla parish on 22 February 1819 (sponsors Michael Mannix and Margaret Quigley). I'm not sure how well respected Father Quigley is as a historian, but look forward to reading his book. The Clare library has an interesting biography on Father Hugh Quigley provided by Johana R. Schwartz here:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... uigley.htm
Attachments
William Pearl (Perrill) family of Sacramento 1880 Census.jpg
William Pearl (Perrill) family of Sacramento 1880 Census.jpg (140.26 KiB) Viewed 23753 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:21 am

Hi Jim

Yes indeed, William Pearl living in Sacramento in 1880 must be a brother of Bridget Daroux nee Pearl, and Ellen Malley nee Pearl (wife of William Maley).

Back to William Maley: I’ve been thinking about your guess that William Maley is the William who was born in 1833 to William Mealy and Honora Houlihan. As you say, there are just 3 William Mealy/Maleys born in Glendree in the 1830s, and the only one who would have fitted the description of “a mere boy” in 1848 is William b. 1833.
So there’s a very good chance that Michael Maley, aged 78, living in Glendree in 1901, is William’s brother. The Tulla baptisms show just one Michael Mealy baptised in 1820 and he is a son of William and Honora. There were two girls as well, Anne b. 1828 and Bridget b. 1831.
Griffith’s Valuation (1856) shows Michael (Wm.) Maily among the Mailys who shared plot 46 (83 acres and three houses) in Glendree. That shows that William Sen. had died by then, and so Honora would indeed have been a widow when the newspaper item was published in 1854.
Michael married Mary O’Hara in 1853. They had at least 3 daughters, but seem to have had no son. In 1901 Michael is living in Glendree with his daughter Mary and his son-in-law Martin McNamara (“Step-father” is a mistake). Another of Michael’s daughters is Birdie Mealy, the subject of the Evening Star newsitem of 1894 (above). So (if we go with your guess), Birdie is a niece of the William Maley in Sacramento. Birdie had been working in St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington D.C., before returning to Glendree, and, looking at Tom McDowell’s list of immigrants from Tulla, I see that a couple of O’Malleys went to Washington D.C. – a Michael and an Annie – but I can’t figure out which family they belonged to – it might not be a Glendree one, of course: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... grants.htm.

William in Sacramento died in 1909. Michael in Glenree died in 1902 (aged 80). It's very possible that they were brothers. But did William ever write home? We will never know.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 pm

If there was a "like" button to use for this whole string of postings, it would surely show as well liked. Thanks for the painstaking work and great sharing.

Sharon Carberry

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:44 am

Hi Sheila,
William [Maley] in Sacramento died in 1909. Michael in Glendree died in 1902 (aged 80). It's very possible that they were brothers. But did William ever write home? We will never know.
When I first read this comment, I thought you were uncertain if we had the correct William Maley of Sacramento who sent money to his mother in Glandree in 1852? The California population back then was tiny. By the 1860 census the population of California had grown to only around 400,000 (this excludes the Native American population). Sacramento had a population of 14,000 in 1860 and its Irish born population was only 2,000. There was only one William Milley / Mally / Maley living in Sacramento or California / Nevada during this period - and he is our horse shoer / miner / blacksmith / ironworker who died in 1909. It is a near certainty that this William Maley wrote to his mother in September 1852 with 8 pounds sterling.

But I think perhaps you meant, did Mrs. Maley of Glandree ever receive another letter from her son William Maley of Sacramento after March 1854? My guess is that Mrs. Maley of Glandree who most likely never left County Clare or even her townland had no concept of the distance between County Clare and California. For a mother to complain in March 1854 that she hadn't heard from her son in California since September 1852 was a bit harsh. Most likely a subsequent letter was already in transit. A letter written in Sacramento would have to reach San Francisco, then via a ship around South America to New York and then to Liverpool or London and then the post office in Ennis and then to Glandree. This would be a very slow journey with lots of opportunities for a letter to go missing. And I'm not sure how people sent money back in those days, if it was cash in an envelope it would have increased the odds of a letter going missing. I'm amazed that she ever received the letter in 1852.

Sheila, thank you for providing further evidence (since Honora was a widow by 1855) which supports my conclusion that William Maley of Sacramento was the son of William Maly and Honora Houlahan of Glandree baptized in April 1833. My conclusion was based upon evidence: (1) a review of the Tulla baptism records and the age of a "mere boy" to leave for California (2) the naming of his 2nd born son William; his first born son George Washington was in 1868 the same year William Maley became a U.S. citizen so a slight break from Irish tradition but perfectly explainable. So I would hardly describe this research as a "guess".

Whether or not William Perrill of Sacramento is a brother to the sisters Bridget Perrill Daroux and Ellen Perrill Maley has no supporting evidence and was indeed a complete "guess". But based upon further evidence this is doubtful. George Washington Maley, retired Police Sergeant of the Sacramento Police Department, died on 3 January 1930. The obituary in the Sacramento Bee newspaper of 4 January 1930 mentions "his only immediate relatives" as brother John Maley, Southern Pacific employee of Sacramento; and a cousin Mrs. Richard Trengrove of Sacramento (Margaret Daroux Trengrove, daughter of Pierre Arnaud Daroux and Bridget Perrill). No mention in the obituary of any other Maley cousins in California. (source: genealogybank.com newspaper archive)

Below photo is of Police Sergeant George Washington Maley of Sacramento. Pity the Michael Maley of Glandree mentioned in your last posting had no sons as it would be interesting to compare photos for a family resemblance. This could have provided further evidence to my conclusion that William Maley is the son of William Maly and Honora Houlahan of Glandree.

And thanks again Sharon for posting the interesting articles from the California gold rush era. People who migrated to California during this era often led very colorful lives.
Attachments
George Washington Maley (1868 to 1930) photo in Sacramento Bee newspaper.jpg
George Washington Maley (1868 to 1930) photo in Sacramento Bee newspaper.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 23343 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Jim

Yes, I meant a letter to his mother after that first one containing the money. She probably hoped that letters with money would become a regular joyous event. As if emigrant children did not have enough to contend with, they were expected to send money home. This message is abundantly clear in letter no. 3 of the O’Neill letters donated to clarelibrary: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... etters.htm
About William Pearl in Sacramento: yes, I agree now that it was a mistake to draw a conclusion based on surname only. But before we dismiss him entirely, it’s worth noting that William was the name of the Perril man who was leasing a farm in Turkenagh Griffith’s Valuation, and that the two families there in 1901 both have sons called William. And it’s worth noting that William in Sacramento was born abt. 1841. Patrick Perrile is Turkenagh was born abt. 1840. In 1901 he says he is 49, but he was married in 1868, so I think his age, 71, in 1911, is closer to the truth. His mother, Honoria Perrill, Turkena, died in 1897, aged 96. Honoria must be the widow of William in Griffith’s Valuation, and their children were probably all born in the 1830s and 1840s.

Back to William Maley in Sacramento: Thanks for the photo of his son, George, and sorry about the word “guess”. It seems that his son William died before 1930 – at least the obit for George doesn’t mention William. Obituaries in Ireland at about that time usually referred just to relatives who were present at the funeral, so a lot of close relatives living in other countries were not mentioned. During the 1930s it became “the thing” to send a Mass card (I have a couple of these and they look more like a certificate, printed in heavy black, than the Mass card we are familiar with). And the relatives who sent Mass cards were mentioned in the obituary, and so, at long last, you get a glimpse of the relatives in England and America etc.. By the late 1940s, Mass cards were no longer any kind of wonder, or status symbol, and they were no longer mentioned. I know nothing about obituaries written in the US at that time. Maybe reporters did not rely so much on the attendance at the funeral for their list of relatives – otherwise they are no more reliable for a full list than ours are.

Now I said in my first reply to smcarberry that I could find no trace in the 1901 census of the family of Thomas Mealy and Susan McMahon who were living in Fortanebeg, in the parish of Tulla, in the 1860s and 1870s (Tulla baptisms). But I have found one of the children in the Florida Deaths: Michael Omalley, b. 1863, son of Thomas Omalley and Susan Mcmahon, died in Delray, Palm Beach, in 1926, and was buried in Buffalo. His spouse is Elizabeth.

The family of Michael Maley and Mary Torpey, Tulla (Tulla baptisms 1862 – 1880) also seem to be gone from Tulla by 1901*, but one of their children has popped up in the Bronx, N.Y. I found the marriage of James O’Malley, aged 33, son of Michael O’Malley and Mary Torpey, to Delia O’Malley, widow, aged 40, daughter of Daniel Moran and Mary Meehan, on Jan. 27, 1910, in Bronx, New York.
*Michael Malley, aged 68, widower, living alone in Tulla town, in 1901, might be the father of this family.

In that first reply to smcarberry I counted John Malley, aged 74, and his wife Ellen, aged 60, among the remaining Mealy/Maleys in Tulla in 1901. Well, it turns out that that family has been well researched by Christine Loundes, a descendant of Catherine O’Malley who was born in 1872 to John Malley and Ellen O’Brien. Loundes contributed an article, ‘The Old Girl’, to Tulla Reaching Out 2016 in which she gives the names of Catherine’s siblings: Thomas b. 1860, Michael b. 1861, Bridget b. 1865, Ellen b. 1869, John b. 1875, and their stories – mainly the life of Kate (Catherine) in Australia.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi Sheila,

Regarding American versus Irish obituaries, it makes a big difference if the U.S. newspaper is from a big city like Chicago or New York versus a small town / city. I'm talking about the obituary for an average person here and not someone rich or famous. In a big city, often the newspaper will charge for an obituary and they can be fairly short and of standard format. In a small town or even a small city, the newspapers are starved for content and an obituary can be front page news and quite lengthy. The funeral announcements listed earlier for the Perrill sisters are short, but there were other articles announcing their death and description of requiem mass. I have never seen the Irish fascination to list every single attendee at the funeral in an American obituary. More often a generic comment about the funeral being well attended with a listing of surviving relatives. However, cousins (or even siblings) in Ireland that the family has lost all contact with would obviously not get listed in the obituary - this might be the case for George Maley in 1930.

I would consider Sacramento to be a small city, so not much escapes the local news including the tragic deaths of brothers 12 year old Frank Maley in 1888, and William H. Maley, Jr. in 1909 the same year as his father. This answers your question why George Maley's obituary in 1930 does not mention his brother William.
Attachments
Frank Maley, Sacramento Daily Union, 24 September 1888.jpg
Frank Maley, Sacramento Daily Union, 24 September 1888.jpg (137.92 KiB) Viewed 23299 times
William Maley Jr fall in courthouse 10 December 1909 Sacramento Union.jpg
William Maley Jr fall in courthouse 10 December 1909 Sacramento Union.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 23299 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Jim

Thanks for that helpful advice on obituaries. I suppose Frank was another child of William Maley and Ellen Pearl. However many children there were, William's obituary shows that they were reduced to two by 1909.
Going back the 60 years to 1849, isn't it amazing that young William b. 1833 managed to get all the way to Sacramento.

Sheila